Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan

Comments

• theman123theman123 Member Posts: 170
    I can't Believe Import Trend said something nice about the fusion. So what do you all think of this ? I wonder if they have a kit for the 4 cylinder.

Steeda Ford Fusion
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    is also in this months Motor Trend! Great article. There is a guy on my daughters soccer team that did much of the same to a Milan premier V6. He does mods to cars/trucks for a living and has been doing this for over 25 years. the Milan was definitly quicker. I want to post this article in the midsize sedan room to show the non-blievers. I was ridiculed and laughed at by the Toyota/Honda fans. :mad:
    In Motor Trend they actually show the Fusion V6 to be .1 seconds faster than a Sonata V6! Even though the Sonata has 15 more HP! :shades:
  • theman123theman123 Member Posts: 170
    I found this article online

What do you think

Ford's comeback in 2008
  • urnewsurnews Member Posts: 668
    Encouraging, but in the end it's still just words.
    Ford has already started to pull out of its nose dive. With the excellent JD powers ratings, the Fusion/Milan continue to do well. The revamped Taurus. Ford is not dead. As much as the media like people to believe. Ford is doing well in Europe and Asia. Granted, I do think Ford forgot its North American market over the last 15 years or so. The Blue Oval will survive. It is going to be a different company however in the coming years. Leaner, meaner and profitable.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    The revamped Taurus not going to do anything. The improvements for 2008 are too late and partially negated by taking the styling from bad to worse with the "revamping."
    Fusion seems mostly OK. It would be better if it had top of the class fuel economy and it will be 2009 before it gets stability control.
    People look at fuel economy much more nowadays and with the Fusion, the best you can say about gas mileage is that the V6 mileage estimates are not that much worse than the 4 cylinder, so you might as well just get the V6 and use a bit more gas since neither does that great mpg wise.
    Maybe a hybrid Fusion with stability control, factory rebates and tax credits to offset the cost will be the car to buy in 2009 if they find a way to install the hybrid battery other than using half the usable trunk space like the Camry and Altima hybrids.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Fusion Fuel econ is so close to the Accord and Camry that you would probably have to keep the car over 5 years before any fuel econ savings came close to equaling the greater cost of those cars vs. the Fusion.

Most people don't even know what stability control is.

Mark
    "The revamped Taurus not going to do anything"

How do you know this?
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Totally uninspiring design bordering on plain ugly! Seriously, why can't Ford give us their European designs over here...some of their foreign models are just outstanding!!! Why can't we get any of them over here? Someone please explain this to me...Scape2?

The Sandman :)
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    According to specs new Ford Mondeo has almost the same size as new Taurus.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    The Sandman :)
    Styling is purely subjective. Styling is also one aspect of a vehicle. The Taurus is rated all 5 star for safety, has a very good and reliable power train, comes in AWD too. Interior is very well laid out and materials are nice quality. I feel sales will pick up with the new 3.5 along with the face lift. As we know the Taurus is a renamed 500. The 500 is a solid and well build vehicle. Name recognition is what this car needed.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    It's more than just a renamed 500. There were over 500 changes that went into the Taurus refresh.
  • urnewsurnews Member Posts: 668
    There were over 500 changes that went into the Taurus refresh.

Please list them. (LOL)
    Obviously most of those changes are minor and unnoticeable but it's not quite fair to say they just changed the name.

They did something similar when the 03 LS came out with 500 changes and I think they actually listed all or most of them. I'll see if I can find that one.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...I thought this topic was about Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan? Hmm, whattaya know, it is!
    :P

Please post your comments about new Ford Taurus in What Are Your Thoughts on the Return of the Taurus/Sable?

Thanks!
  • walterquintwalterquint Member Posts: 89
    Has this article been brought up?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19636744/

(I don't think I'm breaking forum guidelines by citing the link.)

In a nutshell, the article notes that the Fusion had a dismal sales month in June (12,435) and rather hints that the car is a semi-flop (but not an outright failure).

Now, I don't own a Fusion. But were I in the market for a new car, a Fusion is the FIRST car I'd buy. It's solid, well-built, gorgeous styling, roomy, etc etc. And it has a great price.

Why are so many quick to malign this car?? :confuse:
  • makigrlmakigrl Member Posts: 19
    With mercury they should bring back to cougar as a rwd sporty coupe that the american car companies have dumped over the past years. They need to give mercury an identity like sporty or luxurious. A mercury is not a Lincoln but should be more luxurious than a Ford. The fusion has a trip computer standard on higher end model that milan doesn't. Milan just has a few added features like the aluminum trim and wood trim are standard. Is the wood trim even real.

Ford takes the mercury version and just makes a few enhances not greatly separating it or giving it a different identity. I would look at the used car lists and they 1996-2000 sable was more upscale and considerably different that the tarus.
    Now most of the mercurys are just a little bit different that the same ford models but mostly the same.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    The article says: With the Fusion, Ford is too closely copying a Camry.

Uhh...how exactly is it copying a Camry???

Did Ford expect or plan to sell 300,000 Fusions per year? Are they even capable of producing that many? I don't think so.

It isn't about the number of units it is about whether a profit is being made. I don't know how many units they need to sell to generate adequate profits and I am certain the writer of the article has no clue either.
    This article is typical of someone who knows nothing about the auto industry but thinks they are an expert.

To compare Fusion sales with Impala and Camry sales without breaking out the percentage sold to fleet is very misleading
  • walterquintwalterquint Member Posts: 89
    I agree. Comparing Fusion sales to Impala sales is misleading. The Impala is one of the most fleet-saturated cars on the market. Technologically, it's a dinosaur compared with the Fusion--pushrod 6cyl, ancient 4sp automatic, flabby seats, old dash.

I don't understand why the article's author suggested that the Fusion should be marketed to so-called "blue collar types" rather than the Camry crowd. Heck, an entire auto division had that target market--it was called Oldsmobile. And where is Olds now??? (Actually, it's in my driveway.)
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    I do not think this guy has a clue what is going on. And what is that "blue collar" vs "white collar" thing? Why professor is considered as "blue color" mentality if he buys American car? May be it is more "higher quality but more expensive" vs "lower quality but cheaper". Fusion actually suffers from "low quality percerption" interior design. And Ford needs to develop new engines faster.
    This is reaching pretty far to call the Fusion a flop. If you look at sales for June most car makers had a slow month. Even Toyota and Honda had slow sales!
    This is yet another bashing of Ford Motor Company by the media.
    I'm sure most know how the media puts the Fusion/Milan down for having a "weak" engine. I was looking through my Motor Trend September edition. They have 2008/09 new cars. Looking at the Acura line up the RL does 0-60 in 7.0, the TL in 6.9, the TSX in 8.3 seconds. (automatic transmissions).. The Fusion in 7.2! yet they call the Fusion weak!!!??? More media bashing. In fact if you look through each sedan and compare 0-60 times the Fusion is quicker than more sedans than you would think. :sick:
  • keeferbkeeferb Member Posts: 81
    My wife recently took a test drive of an '07 Fusion AWD. She really liked the car. The one thing that bothered her was the auto-locking of the doors after you get in. She has this phobia of getting in an accident or some other situation and then not being able to get the kids out of the back seat. She asked the the salesperson if this is something that can be disabled, but he didn't know. Does anyone know if this is something that can be disabled? I guess I'm also curious as to what the purpose of this feature is to begin with?

Thanks in advance for any info.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    This should be able to be disabled by the dealer or it may even be in the owner's manual. As far as the purpose goes--it was to prevent unwanted opening of the doors by outsiders--in case the driver and passengers forgot to lock their doors. I dislike this option and will not own a car in which the auto door lock "feature" can't be deleted or over ridden.
  • brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    You can definately disable that feature. Page 86 and 87 of the owners manual provide instructions for the process.
    I hate cars that don't have the autolock feature. It is so easy to forget to lock the doors and have someone walk up to your car and open your door or passenger side door from outside if you forget. Even if you remember, it's a pain to keep doing this when it could be automatic.

I've seen police chases on TV where the bad guy runs up to a car stopped in traffic, opens the door and throws the driver out into the street. One time the driver was still tangled in the seatbelt and got dragged outside the car.
    Thanks for the info. I called the service manager at the dealership and he confirmed that it can be disabled. It's just a matter of opinion on which way you want it.

Thanks for all the info.
    Also if the door is locked it might be less likely to fly open in an accident, although that was something that mostly happened with those thumb button handles of the 70s

Is your wife saying that she is going to drive around without looking the doors? That seems more unsafe to me.

Mark.
    Yes, that's like keeping your front door unlocked when you're home because you're scared that the fire department won't be able to get in to rescue you in a fire if they're locked.
    I think it is still the case that locked doors are safer in an accident. I think that is the reason for the auto-locking feature, not so much preventing unwanted opening of the doors by outsiders.

In any case, the person who thinks her kids are safer if she drives around with unlocked doors is mistaken.
    It's interesting because we currently own 2 late model Nissans and neither of them have this 'feature'. My neighbor's Toyota doesn't either, nor does a Honda that I recently rode in. But my parents Chevy does. So I guess I'm not convinced that does make you safer. There must be a study out there somewhere...
    Not safer?

Watch the guy get carjacked in his minivan with unlocked doors:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJfFhg7-b-A

I don't know why people feel safer driving around in an unlocked car. And she wants to drive around with her kids in her unlocked car also?

http://louisville.edu/admin/dps/safety/carjacking.htm
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    I think most people agree it is a good idea to lock the doors. They simply want to be able to lock them when they wish--not automatically. An example--I do three or four stop in a short trip. Get back in the car, thunk go the locks over and over. Annoying. I do lock the doors on a trip of any distance--but I have that option.
    The Fusion has auto-lock AND auto-unlock. When you stop the car and open the front door the rear doors automatically unlock.

Also - all Fords allow you to open the front doors without unlocking them.

A Lincoln LS owner modified his car to do the auto-unlock when the car was put into Park (auto-unlock wasn't a feature on the early models).
    Also - all Fords allow you to open the front doors without unlocking them.

That is one minor thing I find annoying in my Mazda compared to previous Fords...that you have to unlock the door before opening it. Is this a Japanese thing? The only other car we have had that worked that way was a Nissan.

My wife's VW has auto locking and is programmed to unlock all doors when key is removed. That set up is optional, but even without setting it up that way, you can open the front doors without having to first unlock them.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    $395 and available on '08 Fusions by the end of this year.

http://www.ford.com/en/company/syncMoreAffordableThanEver.htm
    Whoohooo.

I am so sick of customers say "can i get bluetooth? No, oh will I don't want aftermarket, I'll go buy a Nissan..."

Now I can say "Bluetooth? thats all you want? well this car is just way to pimp for you then. Not only do you get blue tooth, you can switch between handset and handsfree on the SAME CALL! You can control your ipod...USING VOICE COMMANDS!...Now thats what i'm talking about....

Mark :)
    Too bad you need the nav system to get all the functionality and screen. That makes it way more than $395 in real cost. Looks good though.
    Now all they need is stability control and a higher fuel economy model. Maybe 2009 will be year to buy a Fusion.
    I think you still get a video screen with Sync even without the Nav - it's just smaller.
    You don't need the screen to run the systm. It uses voice commands. You don't get a screen other than what is on the radio which is a couple of lines.

On cars with Nav, you get functions displayed on the screen.

Synch will be STANDARD in Focus SES!

Mark.
  • mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    One thing that always bothered me about Ford and GM. They were always crowing about how great their build quality is .. what a big improvement over the past.

But they never would put their money where their mouth is. It was all just a lot of talk. I would have purchased a Ford or GM product long ago if they had improved their all-inclusive warranty from 36/36,000 to 60/60,000. Hyundai had a horrible reputation but they stood behind their product and sales have soared.

I once asked why Ford and GM would never increase their warranty to prove that they believed in their product. The answer? It would cost them too much in warranty repairs!
    My point exactly.

The working men at Ford GM always get a bad rap, but the people who have really sold the companies down the creek are the highly paid executives who come and go and pocket millions along the way, while market share keeps dropping. Nice work if you can get it!
  • rj123456rj123456 Member Posts: 140
    My right hand side mirror on my 2006 Lincoln Zephyr collided with an immobile object :) albeit at a very low speed. I am posting here because I suspect the Milan/Fusion employ a similar mirror design.

The plastic mirror assembly has sheared off - the motor, glass and chrome pieces are intact.

I wonder if I can replace as a DIY project - how easy it it to remove the door panel? I only see 2 screws, does it slide out after these are removed?

Also, is there an internet parts supplier for Ford/Mercury/Lincoln parts like www.gmpartsdirect.com (I've been buying parts from the latter at 50-60% of the dealer prices).
    There should be one screw in the bottom of the door pull, one or two around the bottom edge and maybe one near the latch. The rest are clips that just pop out.

I've always used Team Ford in Las Vegas for internet parts purchases. Check with Bill Jenkins - great prices and great service.
    Only franchised dealers are permited to sell Genuine FLM parts.

All dealers pay the same for parts.

If you get a good quote online, take it to your local dealer and see if they will match it.

Mark.
  • green2gogreen2go Member Posts: 14
    The Fusion was my first domestic car in a while. On balance, I love the auto-lock feature -- it's one of several that make feel like the car is considerate and is looking out for me. Every so often it can be annoying to have to unlock all the doors after a quick trip, but mostly it works smoothly and intuitively and I think it's an important security feature.
    2006 Fusions allowed you to turn Auto lock and Auto unlock on/off through the info center. These seems to be missing on 2007 Fusions :confuse:

Auto Unlock pops the rest of the door locks when the driver opens his/her door.
  • wblake99wblake99 Member Posts: 18
    My 2007 Milan built in March of this year has that feature. I don't think it is availble with a manual trans, however.

If I remember right the Message Center has no controls for this function so it must be 'programmed' by one of those turn the key, then off, then stand on your right foot while touching your nose with your left hand type of situations.

I'm sure it is all in the owner's manual, but the dealer asked me if I wanted it on or off so they would know whether to go through the process to turn it off.

On my 2006 Mountaineer it is in the setup menu on the Message Center and is easy to turn on or off.