Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan

Comments

• theman123theman123 Member Posts: 170
    Hello,
    I'm sure that this questions has come up before but I'm going to ask it anyway.I have a couple of questions about resales vlaues.

1. how are resale values calculated ?
    2 How is it that the Fusion/Milan are better built than the Camry. But, the Camry still has a better resale value ?

Thanks
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Girlfriend just leased a 2008 Silver Birch Fusion SE, 5 Manual with SYNC, ambient lighting and Sirius last night.

I checked it out, and it is mostly Mazda built in Mexico. She was upset that she was no supporting US economy. Her other choice was Honda Civic, but she wanted an "American car" lol. Civic is made in Ohio!!!

My impression: It's pretty damn fast, especially for a 4 cylinder. I am a Honda driver, so, I have to say, Ford's got a competitor on their hands there. The clutch is a little bit non-linear, she stalled out a few times, and I almost did. The shifter is a little too bulky, especially for her little hands, but the gates are precise, and shifts are smooth. Not like on Altima that she drover a few weeks back and kept putting it in 3rd instead of 1st, because the gates were so darn close and not indented at all. I like that you don't have to pull up on the ring to shift into reverse, like on other Fords.

The single stalk for wipers and turn signals is a little bit confusing. I think the '80's called and want their single stalk back, lol.

The overall fit and finish are not too bad for Mexican assembly. The car had some kind of insulation hanging from under the lower dashboard on delivery, and the weather stripping seam on the driver's door has a huge gap at the bottom.

Time will tell how it holds up. A friend has a 2005 Mazda6 and he has 75,000 miles on it now, with no problems, other than regular maintenance.

Edit:
    P.S.The Finance guy tried to sell her "the maintenance package" for a measly $1200 they will do all the maintenance by the book, and even replace wiper blades. I told him "no." He asked why. Told him I maintain the vehicles my self. He told me that the vehicle requires for me to use their oil. I told him that if it requires Ford oil then he has to give to me for free under the Magnuss-Moss act. He quit right there, and did not press this anymore. lol
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    She really should not be concerned with where the assembly line is, IMO.

There is a lot more than just putting the parts together that goes into manufacturing a car. Just because the assembly line is in Mexico, does not mean that there are no jobs in the US related to the Fusion.

Besides, Mexicans are people too, what's wrong with some of them having jobs?

It is kinda funny, though, that the Fusion's cousin, Mazda6, is the one that is assembled in Michigan by UAW labor.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    It appears that Hermosillo has better quality than most other Ford plants in the U.S. or Canada.

The single stalk works great and to me is a better design than having a separate stalk.

The 2010 Fusion gets a new 2.5L I4 and a 6 speed manual next January, along with a revised front end and interior and a few other changes.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253
    i know the fusion is a bigger package than a focus, but i had the 2.3/5 speed setup in mine. i was always amazed at how slow i could go, then accelerate in 1st gear without the engine lugging. the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts seemed to work well(natural?), but the 3-4 felt like too big a jump. the gas mileage improved noticeably every year.
    coasting down hills only burned out the brakes. last september, i took a 2200 mile trip from central ct to southwestern ohio, up to middle michigan and back. putting the cruise on 70 mph, i averaged an uncorrected 37.5 mpgs. the epa highway rating was 33 and the odometer under registered by 2%.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • elkeinelkein Member Posts: 19
    I haven't been to the gas station yet, the honeymoon will be over then right? ;) Anyway I purchased a slightly used '07 (3500 miles) Fusion SEL AWD in burgundy on Monday. It's got some options, Moon n' Tune, leather, heated seats, sirius, perhaps even others I don't know about. I have been looking to buy a Fusion since their introduction, and I love it so far. I consider this a long term purchase, my previous car purchase was in 1997, cars have gotten nicer and have side airbags now, with power equipment standard. Heck the Marroni sticker on my 1997 listed "wheel covers" as equipment LOL. I feel that I got a lot more car for my money than in 1997, my Fusion was 20643$. The AWD may come in handy for ski trips, at my farm, and other weather annoyances. I do have a question, notably this Fusion comes with low profile tires 225/50 R17, are there reasonable replacements when the time comes?
    I'll get pics up sooner or later, loving it.
    An out of date listing of my car, it has pics... SOLD
    I took G/F's Fusion for a ride today and noticed that the engine does not like to rev down. On shifts, it maintains RPMs. And when I am cruising to slow down in Neutral the RPMs hang by the 2000 mark for a while, then slowly lower to 1000, and don't drop to idle level until the vehicle has reached a complete stop.

I find it weird that it does that, and also annoyed, as I am used to modulating speed my throttle. Which in a Manual equipped vehicle, with direct connection to the wheels, without the viscous coupling of a toque converter, would result in immediate change in speed.

Does anybody know the reprogramming procedure for the defogger?

I always reprogram Hondas to allow manual A/C off over ride in Defog and Defog/Feet mode, but it seems that Ford just does not illuminate the A/C button when in defog mode. I can clearly see and feel the a/c compressor engaging when in either of the defog modes.
    What's the re-program sequence?
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    I was at the dealership today getting my oil changed in my 06 Fusion SEL V6. (Had a coupon for $19.99) This dealership always sends me coupons.. Anyhoo...

Talking with the service rep about the Fusion. He said the 2009/10 Fusion is going to look very different. Have different headlights/grille and rear. Engines also are going to rival Honda/Toyota in the 4cyl arena. The V6 will still be slightly less HP/Torque. I asked what he knew about the Hybrid? and when? He said the Hybrid will debute soon after the 2009/10's come out. I want the Hybrid. I am really enjoying this Fusion. Very tight, reliable and just plain fun to drive.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253
    regarding the rpm's not dropping as you might think they would, it has to do with emissions. i really don't know the specifics. in other words, if you give it throttle, you better mean it. :surprise:
    the a/c is used to defog the windshield, so i don't see how/why you would want to override that.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • sorento2006sorento2006 Member Posts: 11
    is there anyone else out there who owns either a ford fusion,or mercury milan with the 5-speed manual.the possible 'problem' i maybe having is that when i am shifting gears in my 2007 milan,i often feel a popping feel in either the steering,or the front end.i really can't tell,but hope there is someone else out there with the same problem,and maybe someone knows what this is,and how to correct.please let me know as soon as possible,as i need to make sure this is not a serious problem.if it is,will have to mae a warranty trip to the dealership,as the car only has 7300 miles
  • blumsteinblumstein Member Posts: 38
    One aspect of air conditioning is that it extracts moisture out of the air. I.e., it is also a dehumidifier. When you defog a windshield, it is better to use dry air than wet air. The dry air picks up the moisture (fog) from the windshield. That is why you want the a/c on.

Some people who like dry air keep the a/c on all the time and overcome it with heat if it gets too cold. I have the electronic temp control so I don't know if that would work in my car, btw.

Paul
    In automatic mode the A/C compressor will operate until the outside temp reaches the mid to low 30's (at which point it's not necessary). It's used to dehumidify the air as blumstein stated.
    the a/c is used to defog the windshield, so i don't see how/why you would want to override that.

I like the air flow directed at the windshield and feet when I drive, this way it does not dry my eyes. I would rather manually turn on the A/C when it is fogged.
    Just let the car control the A/C - you can't tell that it's on anyway.
  • graydude1graydude1 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if the radio can be converted to receive the XM signal instead of Sirus? I can go with an external reciever for XM but I would lose most tof the controls from the dash like channel changing etc.
    No, it can't. They're not compatible (yet).
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    I just read in MT that 2010 Fusion and MKZ will be based on European Mondeo platform, CD3 will be abandoned, and Milan will be canceled, so Mercury will remain without midsize car.

Another thing they wrote is that new Taurus may be based on CD3 platform whichis in all due respoct I cannot imagine.

Are they smoking or it was April 1st?
  • brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    That MT article was crazy. Look for the 2010 Fusion on an updated CD3 and the next Taurus to be on the D3-2 platform like the MKS. I don't know about the Mercury versions but I expect the Milan to continue with similar changes to the Fusion. I have heard nothing about a future Sable.

These opinions are not guaranteed to be true but they make more sense than MT. This has been a pretty active discussion over on BON.
    What Bruce said. MT is such a joke when it comes to "future" news. I think they've started making stuff up to sell magazines (although some would argue they've been doing that for a long time).

Milan is guaranteed for 2010 - not sure about the Sable. The 2010 Fusion/Milan will be on sale in January. New front end, new drivetrains including a hybrid and a new interior.
    May be I need to cancel subscription to any auto periodical, period. I change subscription every year to new one but all of them became boring and sometime present outright lies. I got MT subscription for free at San Jose autoshow, but enough is enough - even for free. Now there is much more info on internet and forums. Besides their photos suck and they are talking mostly about cars that I cannot even consider, like Porsche, Audi or Mustang Shelby. Yes they are fun to drive but reading the sameover again in every issue become irritating. Okay we got it - these are great cars now lets move on to something that makes more sense.
  • elkeinelkein Member Posts: 19
    I was wondering if there is any tell or other marker that indicates the heated mirrors are on or working.
    This is on a 2007 Fusion SEL.
    Try your hand (touch them).
  • keithm1keithm1 Member Posts: 22
    After doing a survey on line ,which paid me $250(nice), I find that the '09 Fusion/Milan will offer the 3.5 V6 in a "sport" version. Retail is expected about$28,500(pretty much all the options incl.)Power was "mentioned" at 250HP. Not bad, but still a little less than Camry/Accord V6. I feel there is still plenty of "wiggle" room here. Lincoln could up their V6 with a little more HP to stay above the Ford/Mercury in luxury. I have an '06/Milan with all the options offered. I do plan on seriously checking the '09/Milan to do a comparison. ;)
    For the 100th time - it's the 2010 Fusion getting the makeover and new engines - not the 2009 model. The 2009 model comes out next month for a 6 month run. The 2010 goes on sale in January. Not clear yet if the 3.5L will be available immediately or later. Lincoln already has a 3.7L engine which is being built into the MKS as we speak. It should show up in the 2010 MKZ also but again - no confirmation.
  • mf15mf15 Member Posts: 158
    Sounds like FORD is finally get it, we have a 05 escape and really do not
    like the v6. Hopefully in this sport model HID headlights and HD radio
    are at least options.
    Old MIke
  • keithm1keithm1 Member Posts: 22
    You can knock off the 100'th time bit! Even if the makeover(which I didn't mention)does come out in Jan'09 I really don't look at that as the '10. The survey I did said the '09 for the engine and only offered as a "sport" option.
    But it's confusing if you say 2009 model because the 2009 model will be leaving the factory next month and on dealer lots shortly thereafter - with the current engines and transmissions.

The 2010 model was originally scheduled for this fall as a 2009 model but got delayed until next spring, then got moved back to January. That's why there are still a lot of references to the 2009 model but those are outdated and incorrect.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    My crystal ball is pointing to the use of a 3.0L with new heads, intake and exhaust plus VVT that is in the new 2009 Escape being offered in the Fusion. This engine should be rated in the 240 hp.

Ford launched a new mid-range 6 speed trans for the 09 Escape and at launch they said this trans will be offered in one other product next year. The only logical candidate is the 2010 Fusion. If they were going to offer the 3.5L, they would use the 6F in the Taurus/Edge which was specifically developed for the 3.5L.

In the current gas cost crisis, I would rather see Ford spend money on shedding lbs on its cars/trucks then continuing to engage in the HP wars.

Mark
    Your crystal ball is late - we've known that for months. New 2.5L I4, 6 speed trannies all around (including the manual), 240 hp 3.0L, new 2.5L Hybrid.

It also seems there will be at least a limited edition using the 3.5L, but not sure about the timing.

The 2010 model job 1 is in December, on sale in January.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    A little bird from Ford on another forum also added that EcoBoost I4 will be available for the '10 Fusion too. His engine lineup for the 2010 Fusion is below:

2.5l I4
    2.5l EB
    3.0l V6 (240hp)
    ST: 3.5l V6
    Hybrid

It seems to me that the 2.5L EB and D30 PIP would overlap in power with the former getting better fuel econ. That raises the question of one of them actually being planned IMO. But he was confident that all of them will be available (whether at launch or not we don't know) and he's been right on most of the time.
    Wrong, wrong, wrong. The powertrain engineers AND Ford's execs have said the MKS will be the first application of EB followed by the Taurus and Flex. The 2.5L EB will come much later (if at all). If it was ready now then we'd be hearing about it like we're hearing about the 3.5L EB.
    Wrong, wrong, wrong. The powertrain engineers AND Ford's execs have said the MKS will be the first application of EB followed by the Taurus and Flex.

I realize that and that's why I, like you, said that the timing was not ever verified. If the EB does in fact make it into the '10 Fusion I would guess it would arrive for JOB2 which should be well after the MKS gets it. The Taurus and Flex will most likely get the EB V6 like the MKS. The Fusion is said to be getting the EB I4 which could mean it's getting that before the Taurus and Flex get theirs.

Why would they roll out 3 EB V6 models before even rolling out one I4? The I4 will be as powerful as a D35 V6 but get much better gas mileage. It would make sense to get the I4 going in something ASAP given gas prices these days.

If it was ready now then we'd be hearing about it like we're hearing about the 3.5L EB.

Wrong, wrong, wrong (to use your words). They still have to get rid of the '08s and sell a lot of '09s before we even see 2010. Why on earth would they tell us how much better the latter will be than the two former?
    Why would they roll out 3 EB V6 models before even rolling out one I4? The I4 will be as powerful as a D35 V6 but get much better gas mileage. It would make sense to get the I4 going in something ASAP given gas prices these days.

You have to remember that they've been working on these for several years and gas prices just shot up recently. The EB 3.5L is filling a hole in the engine lineup for the D3 vehicles - there is no other option for 300+ hp.

While the EB 2.5L would yield better mileage, they already have a 240 hp and 265 hp V6 engine available, so there isn't a hole in the lineup, just a more efficient option.

They still have to get rid of the '08s and sell a lot of '09s before we even see 2010. Why on earth would they tell us how much better the latter will be than the two former?

But that's exactly what they did when they announced the EB 3.5L 18 months ago. Everyone knows the EB 3.5L is coming next year for the MKS and Taurus.

I just think they have limited resources and the EB 2.5L was not a priority previously for the reasons above. I'm sure they're looking at moving it up now based on current situation but it won't happen overnight.

Maybe we'll see it later next year but I'd be very surprised if we see it on the 2010 Fusion.
    But that's exactly what they did when they announced the EB 3.5L 18 months ago. Everyone knows the EB 3.5L is coming next year for the MKS and Taurus.

Not quite. The EB line wasn't announced to the public until about 6-8 months ago and we didn't know what vehicles the 3.5L was going into first until that time either. I have a feeling we're going to hear something about the EB 2.5L in L.A. when the 2010 Fusion is revealed. I agree that we probably won't see it in the Fusion at launch but it could probably work its way in mid-MY IMO.
    The TwinForce 3.5L debuted on the MKR concept at the 2006 Detroit Auto Show.

It was announced in July of last year that the MKS would definitely get the TwinForce 3.5L engine instead of the 4.4L V8. The name was changed to EcoBoost a few months later.

We'll have to wait and see, but I just don't see the EB 2.5L anytime soon.
    It was announced in July of last year that the MKS would definitely get the TwinForce 3.5L engine instead of the 4.4L V8.

And that was 18 months ago? :confuse: Showing it in a concept car with a different name and confirming it in a production car are two completely different things.

We'll have to wait and see, but I just don't see the EB 2.5L anytime soon.

I agree up to the comma. ;) However I think they'll work faster to get it out given the current market. They need to offer something that Honda, Toyota, Chevy, and Nissan don't have to sell more Fusions IMO. V6 power with I4 fuel efficiency with a small price premium, if any, (my assumption) would be just that. Especially if the EB motors live up to the promises.
    And that was 18 months ago?

No but it's longer than 6-8 months like you originally said. I thought it was in the MKS concept back in Jan. 2007 but it wasn't.

If they were going to do the EB 2.5L then they wouldn't need the PIP 3.0L. I just don't think the EB 2.5L will be available for at least 12-18 months.
    No but it's longer than 6-8 months like you originally said.

At least I was closer! :P

I'm not sure where you're coming up with July either as I've only been able to find the announcement from the L.A. show in November of '07. That includes the Ford media site. I'm always on the lookout for some good insider info. ;)
  • oshkosh49oshkosh49 Member Posts: 13
    Actually, the article was not totally accurate. Yes, the EcoBoost (Twin Force) 3.5L V6 will debut in the Lincoln MKS. But NOT on the 2009 model. For 2009, only the Duratech 3.7L V6 is available, nothing else. The EcoBoost 3.5L will not be available until sometime during the 2010 model year.
    If you read something last week about Ford Future product plans, CHANCES are that this week that info is OUT OF DATE.

PS Until you see it on the ground, or in an order guide, Don't count on it.

They are changing their plans now faster than Oprah changes dress sizes...

Mark
    Of course it's not accurate, but that wasn't the question. The question was when did Ford announce plans for the EB 3.5L in the MKS. Not when it would actually arrive.
  • fusionguyfusionguy Member Posts: 6
    I am new to this forum, but have been reading it as I am interested in buying a 2009 Fusion SEL 4cylinder. I read on edmunds.com with their pricing info for the 2009 Fusion that the Advance Trac Stability Control will be available as an option. I want to ask anyone out there if they know if this Advance Trac option will include Traction Control on the 4 cylinder Fusion. I know that Traction Control has been an option on the V6 Fusion since it was introduced, but never on the 4 cylinder Fusion. Thanks !
    Check out http://jalopnik.com. They published spy photos of 2010 Fusion interior. Looks like the old stuff with minor changes in typical Ford fashion.

Traction control is typically included with Advance Trac but can't say for sure. Check the Ford website when it shows up.
    We don't know for sure if that's the final interior - could still be pre-production. But even so - they changed the center stack which was the weakness in the pre-09 models with the brick stereo. That is a HUGE nav screen with 4x the resolution of the old one and the brick stereo is gone. The gauges are also totally different. We won't see a totally new interior until it merges with the Mondeo platform in 2-3 years. Given the exterior and drivetrain changes including the hybrid I think this is a significant MCE.
    The point is - Malibu is a better designed and better built car with better designed (I do not mean higher quality) interior. Seats are also better in Malibu. Malibu looks like a luxury car compared with Fusion. They have to change their budget-car-maker mindset with 2010 model or otherwise. GM is making progress – the same car – G6, Aura and Malibu. Saturn was better than G6 and Malibu is simply phenomenal. Why Ford cannot do the same thing – Mercury might be a better car than Fusion. Malibu costs $3000 more than Fusion and it worth every extra $$. Ford has to stop making cheapest cars on the market – margins are not there. Ford tries to compete with Huyday – wasn't Ford supposed to compete with Chevy?
    No, the point is you haven't seen a 2010 Fusion yet and you certainly haven't sat in one so you have no basis for comparison. And if the Malibu is so superior why don't you explain why the older worse design Fusion outsold the Malibu 18000 to 15,600 in May? And if you include Milan it's even worse than that. The Malibu is one of the nicest GM cars in years but it's hardly that much better than the current Fusion, much less the 2010 model.
    ALL stability control programs, ESC, or what ever the manufacturer calls it includes ABS and traction control.

Simply put, ESC just adds a yaw sensor to traction control.

Mark
    I'm sure the UAW strike cut into Malibu sales.

Mark