Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan

Comments

• nomoreford2nomoreford2 Member Posts: 50
    Im not saying its a big deal, it just that a new model with more power should accelerate faster than the older model that is replaces. The current 211hp V6 fusion is more than enough power for me, its just when all the car magazines see those numbers on the 2010, they start to bash the car unnecessarily over minor numbers, just like they did with the current model 221Hp and the average clueless buyer that looks at those magazines all of a sudden thinks a accord or camry is so much faster due to those numbers.

As for 7.0 with 263HP ford can do better considering its there Sport model for the car.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Whose numbers are you quoting there? Unless they're by the same people, you really can't compare them.
  • brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    Thegraduate is absolutely right. Different publications will get different results and manufacturer claims will be different as well. Ford's claims have been more conservative lately than the numbers usually recorded by the enthusiast magazines.

Car & Driver quoted a 6.8 second 0-60 for a 2008 Taurus with the 3.5. The Taurus is heavier than the Fusion and has a much less favorable (for acceleration) gear ratio than the Fusion Sport. Motor Trend quoted 7.2 for the heavier AWD version of the Taurus - again much heavier than the AWD Fusion. Based on those numbers, I would expect a Fusion Sport to be in the mid sixes using the same techniques.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Just stopped by a local Ford/Mercury dealer to take a quick look at the new Fusion and Milan. Ford has been bombarding us with this 34mpg, best in class etc. I checked their website and it states 34mpg HWY for the I-4 auto.

The window sticker said 31MPG HWY. What's up with that? Also, I think eliminating the round clock from the Milan dash was a mistake. I think it added a classy look.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Only the S model gets 34 mpg. The SE/SELs get 31 mpg.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    why is this a big deal? do you really think anyone going to drag race a fusion?

As someone who sells cars for a living, I would expect an understanding of selling the sizzle more than the steak. Bench racers everywhere are going to point out 0-60 times, horsepower ratings, etc.

Can anyone feel 1 tenth of a second or 3 horsepower? Probably not. Are the cars going to be rated with specs?

Also, why does a Fusion have to be inherently dull? If I wanted a dull sedan I would get a Camry. Ford will lose the race to the bottom. They need to make cars that are engaging to drive. The previous Fusion was a huge step in the right direction...I don't have enough seat time in the new one yet to know if the trend continues.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Tks. Why is that? Is the S model some kind of "mpg special" ie low resistance tires. less weight, ???.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    a while back, i posted some bullet points from ford about how they got the 34 mpg rating.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    do you know if the numbers are for a fwd or awd model?
    i had an 89 sho, it's 'been there, done that', 20 years ago.
    jeez, i'm getting old. :)
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Whose numbers are you quoting there? Unless they're by the same people, you really can't compare them.

The 2010 numbers quoted are from Ford themselves, and they are conservative to say the least...

I agree though. Wait until C&D or MT tests a 2010 for themselves, then compare them to the current car from the SAME source. I can almost guarantee they'll be different (and most likely lower).
    Is the S model some kind of "mpg special" ie low resistance tires. less weight, ???.

Yes.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    Seeing and reviewing all pictures, details and reviews, on the 2010 Fusion/Milan, I can’t help but share a few thoughts.

While I am mostly impressed to see what Ford is capable of, having built a nice package, quite nice design (exterior), good ride/handling in addition to AWD, loads of features, good fuel economy (especially in the Hybrid version), plus add to that the good reliability Ford is joining recently, I still have some critic, especially on the interior.

Why on earth is Ford adding more and more buttons with every redesign? Don’t they see that the button-cluttered interiors are getting bad reviews all over, even the good cars like the Honda Accord? Why do we need 12 separate buttons, plus an additional 12 "soft buttons" on the navigation LCD (=24 buttons) just to control the temperature? Why does it need to be so confusing? What’s bad with the old, tried and true, easy to use, 3 or 4 rotary dials? They can design it that way even for the automatic temperature control and even for dual zone! The Camry is a good example of an easy temperature control layout, but even the Camry has room for improvement (on the automatic temperature versions. The manual controls are perfect). The only so-called benefit is that you can "speak" temperature up/down, but IMO it's not worth it!

And the stereo/radio controls are not much better either, still confusing. The Camry is a good example for the stereo system as well, and so is Hyundai Sonata. Even the Chevy Malibu is better (without NAV). For everything, it’s always better to use dials rather than buttons, and all the buttons has to be large, and easy to control even in middle of driving (a good example is the Toyota Highlander – giant controls!!).

And what’s up with that steering wheel? To start off, it’s the largest in any midsize car! This size almost suits for a truck, and reduces the sporty feeling. It rather feels like you’re driving a big truck. All the Japanese steering wheels are much smaller and more comfortable to handle. And then, the Ford/Mercury/Lincoln steering wheel design is so sick and old.... can’t they come up with something fresh? And the integrated controls are confusing as well. They should be more divided and apart, not have so many look-alike buttons together.

And in general, I think the interior does not look too clean and smooth. I can’t pinpoint exactly what it is, maybe the textures, maybe the colors, ergonomics, might be the control layout (or the fonts? I don’t like them), but either way it needs refinement. The new Taurus will be a bit better (the angled dash helps), the Flex is also better, but still not so elegant, attractive, or inviting, as many of the competitions. Also the gauges, while much better than previous Ford’s, can use some more sophistication.

Otherwise, I think Ford is on track with the best out there. Keep it on; you’re going in the good direction!!
  • tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    After you've listened to re-runs of Paul Harvey, adjusted the rabbit ears and had your nap, step into the 21st century, or even the mid 90's for that matter. Why don't you actually go to a Ford / Lincoln dealer to experience one for yourself. The new Fusion looks far better in person. My 2010 Fusion hasn't been delivered but I've thoroughly checked one out at my dealership and guess what, each one of the buttons has a specific purpose. With Sync, multi-disk/satellite radio and advanced sound systems, features like heated seats and advanced climate control, BLIS and rear camera an electronic switch is needed for each device. In my opinion the center console of the 2010 Fusion is far superior to Camry's steer horned dash and the Accord's block. Giant controls are a design nightmare. The Fusion's are the correct size for the size and shape of the center console. By the way, of ALL the reviews I've read not one has mentioned the buttons. You also mention the large steering wheel. Sit in one, it's not any larger than any other wheel I've encountered. By the way, a larger steering wheel gives you more control in an emergency and fewer turns from end to end. If new technology and lots of buttons, shiny buttons overwhelm you, I bet there's still a Honda out there with crank windows, AM radio and a sliding temperature control with cold, hot and too hot.
  • cannon3cannon3 Member Posts: 296
    In 06 when I purchased my Fusion SEL V6 with the 3.0 I questioned the 0-60 times posted at some sites. I saw times ranging in the low 7's to the high 8's. But as one person said.. these are family sedans, not sports cars. When I test drove the 2.5 auto it felt much quicker and responsive than the 2.3. Who is going to tell .4 seconds? can you count to .4 seconds? I honestly believe more people are going to buy the 2.5 in the auto configuration. When test driving and comparing to the 4cyl Accord or Camry the Fusion will go head to head no problem. The Fusion/Milan will win some would be Accord/Camry buyers and that is what Ford is trying to do. Give credit where credit is do. Ford is listening to consumers and delivering a car that finally competes with Toyota/Honda.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    UPDATE to previous post –

OK, I went yesterday to a Ford dealership to visit the Fusion & Milan in person. I must say it looks much better in person than on pictures. Especially the 3D gauges, which except for the fonts which I don’t like (a matter of taste), I think it’s really nice and upscale. Good job, Ford!

The steering wheel is also not AS big as it seems from the pictures, even though it’s still a bit bigger than I would prefer. Its design needs a refresh, though.

The button-happy center stack is nice and feels of higher quality, but some buttons are placed too low and are being blocked by the gear selector. I must repeat, there are too many buttons. Even for the basic low-end cars, the temperature controls are too awkward and needlessly complicated to control. In the higher-end, there is even more buttons. The 4-way directional pad for track/seek scanning is also difficult to use, especially while driving. (See Edmunds review, they also mention the many buttons is not good). Also, the center stack needs to be more angled towards the driver. The 2010 Ford Taurus is much better in this area.

The seats feels comfortable, and the leather seating feels of high quality, with nice stitching.

Here are some minor improvements I would love to see in next release:

- Less button clutter on center stack. I visited the 2010 Toyota Camry prior to the Fusion, and it’s much cleaner. Also the Fusion buttons are too small. They got to be bigger (Cannot understand why you claim it's a design nightmare. Just look at the reviews of the Highlander -- or see it in person)

- Glove box is smaller than the Camry’s and most other Japanese mid-sized sedans. Also the competitors have illumination in glove box, Ford does not.

- Illuminated ignition key ring is handy and found in all import sedans.

- Interior door handles should be bigger. (I love giant ones, like the Chrysler 300). I would also like them illuminated, like on the Chevy Malibu.

- Sun visor has no extender or secondary visor. And has very small visor mirror, which is not too useful.

- Signal stalk is placed at a too high position, and controlling it is not as slick and precise as the Toyotas or Hondas. And the signal sound is kind of weird. Gotta get used to it.

- I did not find a light in the trunk. It was probably only on my test car – I can’t believe there isn’t a light in the trunk.

- Controls for the message canter has to be on the center stack, not on the left at the headlamps controls.

- I read in many reviews (also here on Edmunds) that Ford changed the steering (to electric assist) from the previous (hydraulic steering) Fusion, for the worse. It does not have that crisp feel, but it’s numb and light. Except for the Sport model, which remains with the older system. Wrong way to go, Ford. While I understand that the industry is moving towards this direction which is better for the environment and helps fuel economy, (and I also believe that most people will not notice it much), I still think it should not come at the expense of loosing the excellent steering. At least offer a “handling package” which gives you the option of the better steering and better handling. As per Consumer Reports, the current Ford Focus also lost the crisp steering from it’s predecessor. Please, Ford. It’s critical for you to design everything top notch. (The Toyota Corolla got extremely bad reviews since the '09 redesign when they changed to electric steering, although their steering is worse than Ford's).

But I admit, that the overall Fusion/Milan package is beautiful and it is very competitive with todays best.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    By the way, a larger steering wheel gives you more control in an emergency and fewer turns from end to end.

Where does this odd theory come from? I can not see how the diameter of the wheel as anything to do with either of those issues.
  • tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    I'm not very smart, but it's based on the premise that it takes a 1 inch circumference wheel a full revolution to travel 1 inch versus a 2 inch circumference wheel which would take a half a revolution to travel the same distance. If all things are equal, shouldn't the same apply in the revolution of the steering wheel to turn the tires?
    Actually - the larger the wheel the further your hands have to travel to turn it. Bigger steering wheel = slower reaction time.
    In addition the steering ratio is not related to the steering wheel diameter. The large steering wheel in my minivan has to be cranked around a lot more to make a turn than the small diameter wheel in my Mazda6.
    All steering ratios being equal, the bigger wheel requires more motion (movement in inches, ya know) than the smaller one.
    My guess would be that most likely that factor is exxagerated as I would guess that typically the smaller wheel will be on car that is trying to be sporty and is more likely to have a quicker system (would that be a lower ratio?). In my windstar (and an optima rental I had) I have to move the wheel quite a bit to get any response at all out of it compared to my mazda6. It's like..."really do I have to turn the wheel this much, just to change lanes". :)

You could also say that "all else being equal" the larger wheel would require less effort. But can not really assume all else will be equal. Some companies tend to have more boost in the PS than others.

The reality is that no one puts in power steering that requires much effort these days. Although our VW gets pretty heavy at higher speeds,now that I am used to the light steering on my Mazda6 (I had a Contour before the 6 and that had a heavier steering feel to it).
    Yeah! an American company is back in #2 spot! Much of this reason is because of the Fusion sales along with the Focus sales is what the article said. Granted overall sales are still down compared to last year.
    Fusion/Milan are getting noticed. The article also said some of these sales increases could be from those who don't want to buy from GM/Chrysler because of the bankruptcy issue. Fusion/Milan Hybrid along with getting good 4cyl MPG numbers is putting Ford on the radar again. I remember reading posts in this same forum saying Ford will never survive, never best a Toyota, never do anything right.
    Lets give credit where credit is due now folks.
    :surprise:
    I remember reading posts in this same forum saying Ford will never survive, never best a Toyota, never do anything right.

I must have missed those. :confuse:
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    Um, a certain frequent poster who insists that the Duratec engines are 2-3 generations behind. . .

Does this jog your memory, grad?
  • fusionguyfusionguy Member Posts: 6
    If anyone would have an answer to this question, I would appreciate it.
    I am debating on whether to buy an '09 Fusion SEL 4 cylinder with AdvanceTrac ESC or the '10 Fusion SEL 4 cylinder. I asked a Ford salesman if the '09 Advance Trac system came with Traction Control on the 4 cylinder, and he didn't know. He thought Traction Control was a separate option.
    I read in the '10 Fusion brochure that Ford has added Brake Activated Traction Control to their AdvanceTrac.
    Does this mean that Traction Control wasn't included with their AdvanceTrac on '09 4 cylinder models?? Thanks.
    I'm not an expert, but I do have a little bit of insight I'll share...

Last June my parents bought a 2008 Taurus SEL. It came standard with Traction Control, but didn't have the ESC option. To the best of my knowledge, you CAN have Traction Control without ESC, but if you have ESC, you automatically have Traction Control.
    I test drove a new 2010 Milan Premier 4 cylinder this evening... great car, great mpg, extremely quiet and solid, handled great, very comfortable.
    I'm curious about the new taillights on the '10 Milan, as the brochure has a close-up photo of the lights with them turned on. The photo shows the LED lights on the trunk lid section and the quarter panel all turned on.
    But on the Milan I drove tonight, the lights only light up on the quarter panel section, not on the trunk lid, when the brake lights and taillights are turned on. The salesman was surprised too when I showed him the difference between the car and the photo in the Milan brochure with all of the taillights illuminated.
    Did Mercury change this taillight design after production started? Anyone out there know why they did this? They need to illuminate the trunk lid lights too as it sure makes a more complete and upscale appearance.
  • petras2petras2 Member Posts: 104
    any opinions on the sony stereo option? I've read mixed reviews...considering that you have to spring for the uplevel sel or sport just to order it and then pay extra for the moon/tune package, is it worth the extra 3-4K?
  • mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    How could a radio be worth another $3,500? If you don't want the moonroof and added goodies, , just have a custom stereo system installed after market.
    In just today, I saw 3 new 2010 Fusions!! This is a shock in this economy. Nice to see a different sedan on the road rather than the sea of Camry/Accords...
  • fjownerfjowner Member Posts: 6
    Just saw a Fusion Sport today. The pics in magazines and the internet does not do this car justice. Much better in person, especially the silver! Our local Ford dealer only had one and it was sold. They let us climb in and about it but could not drive it. I seriously doubt the navi is worth the extra $$$$ over the moon/tune package. Plus those back up sensors looks like a pain to wax around. I could say the navi sounded the same if not worse than the regular Sony. Only complaint was the cheezy hood prop. I could also do w/o the keypad on the door, can this option be avoided? Now come on Ford, 0-60 is 7sec on a 3.5 V6? I'm sure a magazine will prove that a tad too long. The Taruas has the same plant and is about 100lbs lighter and Malibu is heavier and quiker with less hp.
    7 seconds will definitely be on the long side. Manufacturers are often conservative.

The 263 horse FWD Taurus will run 60 in the high sixes (my folks have an 08 and it'll really scoot), so I'd expect a 3.5L Fusion to be right there with an Accord or Malibu in the middle sixes at worst, witht he 3.0L in the upper sixes..
    Thats what i'm thinking. Maybe 6sec at best but depends on who is driving. 0-60 is not at the top of my list but it helps when you gotta go. Its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Also figure if Chevy can squeeze 30mph on long highway trips from the 3.6 Malibu so can Ford with the 3.5.
    Have not even thought about Ford for a long time. Last Ford car was a 88' Escort and it let me down on many occasions. I don't want to be had again with another Ford but Consumer Reports says the Fusion is above average reliability but that was with the 4cyl and 3.0 V6. The Sport has the 3.5 and i wonder how well that engine is.
    I think there is a serious problem with your driving style if you think you "need" to accelerate from 0-60 in 6 seconds (or even 7).

I think it is rather silly to base your opinion of Ford on an Escort that they built over 20 years ago.
    "I could also do w/o the keypad on the door"

Does anyone really like that particular feature? Ford seems to be the only manufacturer that offers it. It seems aimed at the 65 and older crowd, but I may be wrong. I would like to hear from people who have an opinion on the door keypad. It seems sort of old fashioned.
  • urnewsurnews Member Posts: 668
    It seems sort of old fashioned.

I've never cared for it. I'm 67 but don't consider myself to be a fuddy-duddy. :)
    Does anyone really like that particular feature? Ford seems to be the only manufacturer that offers it. It seems aimed at the 65 and older crowd, but I may be wrong. I would like to hear from people who have an opinion on the door keypad. It seems sort of old fashioned.

Are you kidding? Once you've had it and used it you'll never want to be without it. I don't have it on my 06 Fusion and I really miss it.

You never have to worry about locking your keys in the car and you don't have to call someone to unlock it for you.
    You can leave your keys in the car (hidden, usually) if you're going swimming or running or at some event where you don't want to carry your keys around.
    The kids can go get stuff out of the vehicle without the key.
    You can leave the keys in the vehicle for other people to pick up later.
    You can even leave the vehicle running but locked although I don't recommend it.

Like I said - if you've never used it you have no idea but once you do you'll never want to be without it.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    I think there is a serious problem with your driving style if you think you "need" to accelerate from 0-60 in 6 seconds (or even 7).

It's not a "serious problem", it's a choice. One man's choice may not be the same as yours, but it's not a "problem" by any stretch.

C&D just ran the Mazda 6S GT with the V6 at 6.1 seconds 0-60, so Ford (as usual) is being very conservative. I'd say it'll do mid-6s consistently.

As far as the keypad goes, there are a LOT of benefits to it, as akirby stated. I'm surprised it's not more commonplace in the industry as a whole.
    I always thought buying a front-drive "sports car" was silly. If you really care about performance, you should get a car with rear drive.

It reminds me of the people who put a rear spoiler on their Camry . . .instant sports car . . not.
    Does anyone know what the price is for the 2010 Fusion 18" polished aluminum wheels? They are displayed in the new Fusion brochure as accessory wheels, but I could not find them listed on fordaccessories.com.
    They look identical to the 18" wheels that are on the 2010 MKZ with the Sport Appearance Package.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    I always thought buying a front-drive "sports car" was silly. If you really care about performance, you should get a car with rear drive.

Different strokes I guess. The "classic" SE-R was fantastic on the track after a few tweaks, as was the GTI and the Civic SI. The edge went to the SE-R because of the limited slip differential, but all were a lot of fun.

I guess RWD can be fun if you want to go straight or sideways.
    i agree, the keypad is a great convenience, as i prefer to not carry keys around if i don't have to.
    don't have to keep asking the kids, where are the keys?, if i want to get into the car.
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994

How nice for you that you never have to make any choices between competing desires or needs. Many of us, perhaps most of us on the Edmunds boards, "care about performance," but that does not mean that we can always place it above other needs or priorities.

Midsize sedans are masters of compromise. Relatively few people genuinely fall in love with them. But plenty of us need what they can offer, and would still like some semblance of sportiness in the driving experience. Within that group, the Fusion and Milan offer more of this than, say, a Camry with a rear spoiler. They have sharp steering response and a firmer suspension than most of their competition.

Perhaps you'd be happier in a sports car forum, Mitch. :)
    I have no idea but i can tell you Ford's rims are probally $$$$$$$!! Get some much nicer ones at an after market place.
    i agree, try ebay or maybe a dedicated fusion site.
    sales will be in the 4cyl automatic configuration. The new 3.5 V6 will come in a GT type name plate. With gas prices on the rise I would hope Ford knows not to build too many of the 3.5 versions. I just have this feeling Ford is going to announce the Fusion/Milan is going to also be built in another factory either in the U.S. or Canada.
  • petras2petras2 Member Posts: 104
    I noticed in the 2010 fusion brochure,you can get a Blaupunkt subwoofer as a dealer add on. Anyone purchase this and if so how's it sound?
    Wow. An add on? They should give you two for free for what they charge for that navi. Wonder if the navi plays dvds?
  • alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    I have used mine most of the time, and I'm not even 40 yet. I think it's a great feature, but that's only my opinion.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    You better forget about 0-60 on midsize sedans since Obama's government put pressure on automakers to get rid of V6s in mass production cars next decade. Buy V6 while it is available - now.