Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan

Comments

• noneneedednoneneeded Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 2010 3.0 fusion and was wondering what gas mileage people are seeing with the v6's, awd or fwd.

Are you seeing numbers that are better or worse than what is on the sticker?

Also, does anyone know where the transmissions are being built or by whom?

Thanks
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Pretty sure the 2010 3.0L uses the American made 6F35 tranny while the 3.5L continues to use the Aisin tranny in the Fusion, Milan and MKZ.

I have a 2006 3.0L and I get around 27 mpg on highway trips. City mileage on my daily commute averages anywhere from 17 to 21 depending on traffic.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,254
    i have an 07 fusion v6 awd and averaged 22 for the first year, now averaging 23 mpg.
    mostly a short highway commute. i rarely use the a/c. have a moonroof, which i keep cracked open as much as possible.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Pretty sure the 2010 3.0L uses the American made 6F35 tranny while the 3.5L continues to use the Aisin tranny in the Fusion, Milan and MKZ.

Why wouldn't the Ford 6F50 from the Taurus/Flex/Edge be used in them? Cheaper to ship the Aisin to Mexico maybe?
    The 2.5 and 3.0L engines get the 6F35 while the 6F50 is reserved for the 3.5L models (difference is torque capacity).

Not sure why they continue to use the Aisin tranny in the 3.5L Fusion and MKZ. It's either a supply issue or some packaging issue where the aisin is smaller.
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    Not sure why they continue to use the Aisin tranny in the 3.5L Fusion and MKZ. It's either a supply issue or some packaging issue where the aisin is smaller.

Gearing, the 3.5 puts out more power than either the 3.0 and the I4. Its also more sport tuned than the 6F35. Its reserved for use only in the Sport model, which I own and love. The shifts are manualesk in how it shifts, it has a slight pause between gears as if I were driving a stick, under light load, but put the pedal into it and the shifts are crisp and firm but not harsh. The ratios are setup for this car and with the 3.0 would be too high for the power output.

My fuel economy so far with 1700 miles is 24 city/highway mix, and 31 highway. The 3.5 and 3.0 get basically the same eco numbers.
    But they use the 6F35 with the 3.5L in the Edge, MKX, Taurus, MKS, Flex and MKT. But they don't use it in the Fusion/MKZ. Has to be more than just gearing.
    But they use the 6F35 with the 3.5L in the Edge, MKX, Taurus, MKS, Flex and MKT. But they don't use it in the Fusion/MKZ. Has to be more than just gearing.

The 6F50 is used in the Flex and MKT. Not sure about the others but I'm pretty sure anything with the 3.5L uses it too save for the Fusion apparently. The 6F35 is reserved for those engines smaller than the 3.5L. My question stemmed from this. Packaging issues or shipping issues are the only two reasons I can think of for Ford to use the Aisin in the Fusion Sport. I can't imagine it would be packaging though because the 6F35 and 6F50 are supposedly the same size and the 6F35 is used in the non-Sport Fusions.
    Yes, the 6F50 is used in the 3.5L applications, not the 6F35. The 6F55 is the beefed up version in the ecoboost models.

The 6F35 and 6F50 may be the same size - but the 3.0L and 3.5L engines are not. It's possible the 3.0L + 6F35 would fit but the 3.5L + 6F50 would not. It's just speculation. Maybe since they used the Aisin 6 speed with the 3.5L in the MkZ before the 6F50 was available it was easier to keep using it instead of switching.
    That makes sense too Allen. I was thinking it might be cheaper to ship the Aisin from Japan to Mexico (via boat) than it is to truck or train-then-truck the 6F50 down there. Then again, your packaging argument makes more sense given that they already do train-then-truck the 6F35 down there. Although I'm not sure where all the variations of the 6F are assembled either.
    Frankly, the reason could be anything - taxes, shipping, plant capacity, purchase agreements. But isn't it fun to speculate? I'll see if my Ford contact has any other insight.
    as an fyi, multiply the number after the 'F' by the number of cylinders to get the transmission torque capacity.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Yeah? I believe ya, just wondering how you explain that the EcoBoost uses the 6F55 (= 330lb-ft capacity) with the engine producing 350 lb-ft. Does your figure assume driveline losses or something?

:)
    Just curious.
    According to my former Ford transmission engineer friend you multiply by 10 to get the torque capacity. If you think about it - the number of cylinders in the engine would have nothing to do with the torque capacity of the transmission that it's attached to.

So a 6F35 has a capacity of 350 ft/lbs. Sounds like a lot but this is AFTER the torque converter and the torque converter can double the amount of engine torque at low speeds.

The first number is the number of speeds, then F for FWD or R for RWD then the torque capacity.
    maybe it only applies to the 'R' transmissions.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Here's your chance 2010 Fusion owners - http://www.fusion41.com

Eight 2010 Fusion owners from throughout the country will be selected to participate in the Fusion 41 program. They will be chosen based on their passion for Fusion and their ability to share compelling information about the vehicle on the Internet. Applicants must have a current Facebook profile with a minimum of 100 friends and an active photo collection.

Each of the eight Fusion owners will then choose four friends or family members to join their team, and each team will be given a 2010 Ford Fusion or Fusion Hybrid to drive in an automotive relay race. To complete the relay, each team member must fulfill an assigned task within 41 hours, tracking competitive variables such as miles driven, stops made or the number of passengers picked up.

The winning team will be chosen based on their ability to complete the activities and provide proof by uploading photos and videos to various social media sites, including Facebook.

The Fusion owner of the winning team will have their vehicle paid off, and team members will win free gas for one year.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    Consumer Reports rated the Ford Fusion Higher than Toyota Camry & Honda Accord.

Unbelievable.

Note to Ford: Fix those few little complaints, and the Fusion would be a winner. Even more than it's now.

The controls are too low mounted and have too many look alike buttons together, which is hard to find/adjust while driving. Copy the Camry for simplicity, lagre, big controls, clearly marked & illuminated (also light the ignition key ring insert and the glove box), design a new updated steering wheel (smaller size. prefer size as the Honda Civic..) Re-arrange the stering wheel mounted controls to be easier to use, the interior door pull should be like on the MKZ/MKS, and a few more improvements, and you have one of the best sedans.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    I am renting 2010 Ford Fusion right now while I am on the vacation at Hawaii. It is 4 cylinder AT. And I have a lot of complaints. First - exactly the same you pointed out - ergonomics is probably the worst in its class. All controls are too low to be comfortable to use. Controls on steering wings is impossible to use without taking look out of road and even then it is difficult to press correct button because all buttons look alike and confusing. Odometer reset and info buttons are hidden in the left low corner of dash - you may crash the car if try to bend down to try find out them. Both left and right armrests are kind of useless because are too far away - nowhere to put you hands to rest. Dead pedal is uncomfortably far away and my legs are not short.

In general I have an impression than cabin was designed without much thought - probably most expensive and experienced engineers were laid off from Ford in recent years.

Driving expressions. Steering has kind of numb and artificial feel to it - what do you expect from electric steering? But it is common downside of cars with electric steering - Ford is not alone. Engine is very quite at low rpm - you may even think there is an electric motor. But when push hard it sounds harsh. Transmission is not matched well with engine - it feels kind of clunky and confused hardware - it switches abruptly and when you do not expect. I have Ford Focus and I do not feel transmission at all - it is very smooth, responsive and perfectly matches 2.3L engine.
  • xmechxmech Member Posts: 90
    I know how you feel about the console. I was overwhelmed at first, but after about a month, you know where everything is, and personally, I'm mostly happy with it. (But then I'm a geek and love stuff with lots of buttons and stuff to fiddle with.) I know where the steering wheen buttons are already by feel. Just don't like the fact the A/C and recirc button lights are impossible to see in direct sunlight, and the traction control (Or whatever Ford calls it.) button is right where you inadvertantly hit it when putting stuff in and out of the little fwd ash tray or whatever.

As far as the steering feel goes, I was thrilled with how it felt after test driving a Sonata. Holy moly! It was like a video game controller!

My transmission feels great. Early on, a couple of clunks, but the computer must have learned.

As far as the engine noise, either it quieted down or I got used to it. (Probably the latter...) For the MPG improvement over my Grand Cherokee I could get used to alot. Also, I'm always impressed how smoothly it transitions into cruise control. The Grand Cherokee that I traded for the Fusion always kind of lurched.

Agree those buttons on the lower left (Odometer, info, etc.) are poor, especially the pushbutton dash light brightness controller being pretty much identicle and right next to the trunk release. Duh! I haven't done that yet.... I think they already moved some of those to the wheel in a new 'build' version of 2010.

Anyways, everyone has their preferences, and the Fusion was a good fit for me. Alot of what you guys just posted about are things I haven't experienced, or disagree with, but that's what makes the world an interesting place. If we all liked the same stuff, we'd all be driving the same car, and after the same girl! :shades:
    " I think they already moved some of those to the wheel in a new 'build' version of 2010"

Yes they did. The Info, Setup, and Reset buttons have been moved from near the headlamp dial to the steering wheel and what were single function switches on the steering wheel are now dual function rocker switches to make room for those three new functions. Click here to see it. The bottom two switches on the left side of the steering wheel contain the Info/Reset and Setup functions respectively. The top two switches house all of the C/C functions now and are more logically laid out IMO. The top left switch is a rocker that increases or decreases speed (hitting either one will SET your speed too) as opposed to two separate switches doing one or the other. The other switch rocks to Resume or On/Off. The switches on the right of the wheel are unchanged for the audio/SYNC functions.
    xmech, how long it takes AT to learn? I own Mercury Sable. Beside of being very reliable car - I did not experience any problems in 120K miles I have driven this car - it has transparent and precise hydro-powered steering. I do not get this electric steering thing - it is artificially heavy and numb in all cars I drove. Ford version may be better than others by not by large margin. And BTW when I disconnect battery AT in Sable takes about 30 miles for AT to relearn my driving habits. But with Fusion - I drove it already 200 miles and do not see any improvement - it is still clunky and unpredictable. Buttons are located too low and no matter how long I it drive it is impossible to get used to it. I cannot replace Sable even though I own it over 7 years because I cannot find affordable midsize car I am comfortable with. I am start thinking about moving to premium cars like Acura or Buick because I simply cannot find well designed midsize car in lower price point.
    The transmission does not learn "driving habits". It only learns how to vary the pressure required for each shift to maintain factory specifications for shift times. This accounts for individual variations in each transmission and for wear over time.

I don't recall anyone (owners or reviewers) who had problems with the steering, transmission or button placements on the 2010 Fusion. I think you're just extremely hard to please, especially if none of the other mid sized sedans work for you either.
    "...I don't recall anyone (owners or reviewers) who had problems with the steering, transmission or button placements on the 2010 Fusion..."

Wow. In almost every review I've read, especially from the pro's, it was mentioned about "button placement". and not in a good way. Recently, Ford started to offer an abundance with look-alike buttons, which is hard to de-chiper while driving, and on top of that (or should I say "below that"...?) they're placing'em very low, hard to reach area, sometimes blocked by the shifter.

Here is what Consumer Auto Guide says in one review: "Audio and climate systems rely on too many buttons and take time to sort out. Ditto look-alike audio/cruise buttons on the steering wheel. The low-set climate panel can force a long look from road."

Also, in another Ford review, they write: "Some testers complain that the stalks for the windshield wipers and turn signals are too far from the steering wheel..." I would like to know, did anyone found the signal stalk is a little weird, pointing way too up, instead of just being straight?? (you could see it in the photo mentioned in message #5485 above).
    Sounds like minor quibbles to me. Certainly nothing that would affect a potential purchase.
    Also, in another Ford review, they write: "Some testers complain that the stalks for the windshield wipers and turn signals are too far from the steering wheel..." I would like to know, did anyone found the signal stalk is a little weird, pointing way too up, instead of just being straight?? (you could see it in the photo mentioned in message #5485 above).

The signal stalk in our '06 Explorer was tilted upward somewhat and I found that to be a good thing because you could easily use it when your hands were in the 10:00 and 2:00 driving position. If the stalk is lower, as it is in most other vehicles, you have to take your hand off of the wheel to use it. Not a big deal, but it's a minor convenience you don't notice until it's gone. I noticed the difference immediately when we turned the Explorer in and leased a Flex which has the straight out signal stalk.

Here is what Consumer Auto Guide says in one review: "Audio and climate systems rely on too many buttons and take time to sort out. Ditto look-alike audio/cruise buttons on the steering wheel. The low-set climate panel can force a long look from road."

What trim did they test and did it have the DEATC system or the manual HVAC system. The former requires the push of one button to turn on and the turn of a big knob to set the temp. I've changed the temp maybe twice in the nearly 7 months I've had the DEATC in our Flex. My wive probably never changed the temp in her Escape with DEATC and we both keep them on all the time for the most part. If they had the DEATC then they should not be complaining because the manual system is set up differently and may be easier to use.
  • xmechxmech Member Posts: 90
    I'm no automotive expert, so I don't know if it's the AT computer 'learning or whatever, but early on, I had issues where you almost came to a stop, then got back on the gas, it kind of jumped into gear, and a few times when it was still cold i'd get a hard 2-3 or 3-4 shift, but now at around 4500 miles, I haven't experienced any of that for at least a month. (Had car 3 months now)

I'll have to agree about having buttons too low and small, hard to ID, taking too much attention while driving, but I still like the look of the panel, as I said before, being kind of a tech-geek.
    "Some testers complain that the stalks for the windshield wipers and turn signals are too far from the steering wheel..."

I agree. I always have a feeling that high beam is on while driving the car and every time I find out that stalk is in default position. It is difficult to get used. If you own Fusion you probably get used after while, but for rental car it is another annoying feature.

BTW does Milan also has an electric steering? I hope MKZ does not have it.
    I wish the stalks on my '06 Accord were further away. In parking lots where I'm maneuvering quickly into spaces, I hit the windshield wiper stalk way too often for it to be considered good design.

I haven't had that issue in my daily driver, or my girlfriend's car.

I want stalks far enough away that I have to intentionall go for them to engage them!
    :shades:
    the 2010 fusion doesn't have a 2.3 4 cyl, but lets just ignore that.
    the steering wheel buttons each have their own 'brail' code in the corners.
    if you pay attention and want to, you can learn them by feel.
    it's just too much effort for some.
  • lazzolazzo Member Posts: 8
    I can't stand the buttons either. I'm currently test driving the Legacy, Camry, Fusion, etc... and find the other cars raised/positioned buttons much better.
    I also hate Fusion's steering wheel compared to the sportier wheels on some other cars.

Do you remember that old cassette tape player from the 1970's? The one with the single speaker and the pull out silver handle? It had a row of identical black buttons on it that people would always mess up and press the wrong one. That is what I think of when looking at the Fusion's steering wheel. Have we learned nothing since then?

I drive in the winter with gloves on. Try pressing these buttons with gloves on...Brail, with gloves? Forget it.

The wheel and the buttons are something I am going to be looking at every time I drive. Ford should make this the main priority for upgrading on the 2011.
    So how - exactly - do you think they should fix the buttons so you can operate them with your gloves? There aren't many options.
  • lazzolazzo Member Posts: 8
    Raised, contoured buttons located at different locations. Problem solved.
    I just test drove a 2010 Camry XLE and an SE. I had no problems with the buttons on these cars.
    Sounds like your search is over then.
    How nice is to come back home and drive car with hydraulic steering again! I probably will pass any car with electric steering in my next car purchase.

Another thing I realized that I do not like in Fusion is how front seats are positioned - they are moved closer to the center of car than in other cars. First you seat too close to passenger and it makes center console narrower and forces to place most controls too low in center stack. Driver also has to compete with front passenger for space on center arm-rest which is too narrow compared to other midsize sedans. It also creates empty space between front door panel and front seat. It might be good for fat drivers, but I am rather slim and do not feel comfortable when on the left there is an empty space and on the right I have to compete with front passenger for space.

Gauges are too bright and cheap looking. Doors do close with that assuring "thump" muted sound like in almost any other car today. It is difficult to open doors - they feel to heavy. Trunk lid is also is difficult to open and close. Both doors and trunk lid require too much effort to operate. In my Sable I can do all these seemingly basic operation without much effort and noise. I understand that Taurus/Sable are more luxurious cars but still Ford could make Fusion/Milan feel more expensive as GM did it with Malibu and Aura.
    if you turn the heat on you don't need gloves, but i understand that the steering wheel buttons don't work as a feature for you.
    i agree that the fusion seating is not as wide apart as the old taurus and the trunk is an annoyance to close.
    maybe because i am left handed, i never noticed the extra distance to the arm rest on the left.
    i had one of the last original design taurus's as a loaner(05/06?).
    it was a sorry de-evolution compared to our 96 SHO.
  • tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    I let my blind friend drive my Fusion to see if he could read the braille buttons and he said they're not braille, there just small raised dots to indicate the top and third button down. Also, he said he didn't have any problem using the steering mounted control buttons. He also said their well lit at night and easy to read and use.
    He also said their well lit at night and easy to read and use...

I let my blind friend drive my Fusion to see if he could read the braille buttons...

This is a joke, right?
    You are kidding. How blind person can drive a car. Does he have a license?
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I've not driven the new fusion with electric steering, so I don't know what it is like on that car. But, electric steering can be just fine. VW's version of electric steering on the Jetta is very good, imo. The VW system even allows for it to be adjusted...if you like it to feel heavier or lighter, the dealer can change the setting.
    i didn't mean real 'braille', just that each button has a unique pattern of raise nubs you can use to figure out which button your finger is on.
  • tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    I knew what you meant. I was joking and responding to posts that criticize the position and use of the steering mounted buttons. I laugh at the things people find to be critical of for a particular car. I love my 2010 Fusion. I've never had an issue setting or using the cruise or adjusting the radio volume. The only problem I have, and it's because I need to read the instructions again, is making phone calls using the steering buttons. More than once I've re dialed the last number by mistake when trying to make a new call. The car is solid, quiet, has enough front seat room for me and back seat room for my friends. It has plenty of pep and I get great mileage with the 2.5L auto.
    ok, you got me (and maybe some others). :)
    i know you have been posting on various forums for quite while.
    Hmm I have a 2010 Sport, my info buttons are still on the dash, that picture though was of the hybrid, so maybe they moved them on that model. Those buttons are also meant to be used only while parked, not while driving. OTOH placement of some of the controls are a bit too low, but so far the only ones I use are the TC and the recirc. I rarely touch the Climate controls since they are dual zone auto. I prefer the steering controls over the Camry since I drove one for 34K miles, I have a pretty good knowledge of the controls, and the Cruise on the Camry sucks, it is under the steering wheel, not at your thumb. The one in the Fusion is so easy to use, bottom button in, turns it on, press either set button to set it, press the top one to resume, doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. Want to speed up, tap the second button down, want to slow down, tap the third button down, and it works even with gloves on! Sure beats, having to reach around at the bottom of the steering wheel, press a button to turn it on, and fiddle with the switch to set, resume, or speedup/slow down. Half the time I went to resume I turned the darn thing off. For the phone use, the sync works great. Press the voice button, say use phone, say redial and boom it dials. Want to call a new number, just say dial then the number and it dials. My Iphone never really worked well in the Camry, but works great in the Fusion. After 2 months and 4200 miles, my only complaint is, why the hell did I ever buy a Camry.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    acdii: I am glad to see you are happy with your Fusion. I have an 08 Accord that I bought because of its bullet proof Rep well guess what it is not bullet proof not even close. I hate it so bad that I am headed to Ford to test drive a fusion.
    Thanks
    Good luck, hope you like it, I sure do. I like mine so much, I don't care if I only get 23 MPG in daily driving and 31 highway. :)
    Hmm I have a 2010 Sport, my info buttons are still on the dash, that picture though was of the hybrid, so maybe they moved them on that model.

They were moved to the steering wheel for 2010 JOB2 models. Sounds like you have a 2010 JOB1 model.
    Wow. One of the major car magazines named the Fusion CAT OF THE YEAR for 2009.

Way to go, Ford.
  • koho955koho955 Member Posts: 97
    It's the 2010 Fusion that is the Motor Trend car of the year..not the 2009.
    not CAT either. ;)
    They did a cross country type comparison with hybrids and other high MPG cars, the Audi and VW TDI, Prius, Insight, Fusion and Smart.

I was a bit disappointed in their results on the Fusion, they must not be driving it correctly, it only scored a 32.9 combined, which is far below the 39 EPA. Reason I say they aren't driving it correctly is two fold, first I can get 31 MPG highway in my Fusion Sport with the 3.5L V6, second I drove a Toyota Camry Hybrid for 16 months and 34,000 miles and got 38 MPG consistently, the Fusion has a much finer throttle and can stay in EV up to 47 MPH, the Toy only 40, and I always had it cruising at 40MPH on battery. They should let me drive it for a while and see what it can really get. Think they would go for it? :D