Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercury Mariner

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    three versions of the same thing. If they make a Lincoln, they might get even younger buyers!
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    When is the Mariner projected to appear on the dirt?
  • dondiliodondilio Member Posts: 56
    Check out the Future Lincoln board. Look for it in Future vehicles not in Lincoln.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    Thanks, will check it out :)
  • dondiliodondilio Member Posts: 56
    Hey ant check a forum I made its called Mazda9
    its on the future vehicles or the Mazda6 discussions. Ive heard Mazda is planning an entry luxury vehicle. maybe rwd or awd.
    There's a Hybrid that will be added for 2007....

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7015
  • bretaabretaa Member Posts: 130
    ...Kudos to Mercury for some tough engineering on this one ;-).

- Bret
    any pricing info out there
  • setzersetzer Member Posts: 127
    my best guess on the pricing is that it will start around $24,000 and go up to about $29,000. your probably could give or take on those prices. And I may be way off, I just looked at where about the Escape's price ended and where the Mountaineer's price started.
    Sounds close to me.
    August 16, was Job1 date for the Mariner, and are rolling off the line now....
  • tiki0592tiki0592 Member Posts: 3
    Any idea if the Mariner will have automatic climate control? It's one feature I love and can't seem to find it on any of these sized SUV's...
    Man I am SO in agreement with you, tiki.... I got used to Auto Climate in my cars years ago, and then bought my first SUV, which didn't have it. I hated the car, mostly because I had to continually adjust the HVAC, especially in the winter. Only kept it 2 years, and the minute I saw a SUV with auto climate, I placed an order and got rid of that old one! It's a deal breaker for me too......
    Hey NV... What did you end up getting? So far everything keeps pointing me to the Toureg, which I currently own and love a passat, however, I just don't want to spend 35k again like I did with the passat.
    Most recent SUV purchase was a Mercury Mountaineer. I don't mind paying the price for a Touareg - but the repair issues on the boards here coupled with the VW reputation for being trouble prone, as well as the manual seat scared me off.
    Well, here's hoping that the mariner will have climate control... the pics I've seen so far don't reflect it, however, the console in the pics looks very cheap compared to the rest of the vehicle, so I'm not sure it's what will actually end up in the vehicle...
    I'm not optimistic about that. The Explorer has it available, but at the price of the Escape, I don't think you can get it. Not sure the Mariner will offer it either.
    Mariner A/C will be manual... I was pushing for Auto...
    Well, thanks for trying ANT. Sounds like you are more in touch with the Mercury buyers than others are. Those of us who buy from the Country Club division of Ford, like those little niceties. How much more can it cost anyway? Although, I realize that $5 a car is a ton these days.
    It's one of those items that might make it in the future. I say offer it on Mercury and Mazda models. Or slap on some Xenon headlights (as the Montego differs from the 500), and maybe some A/C cooled/heated seats... JUST to add that special touch. But Nooooooooo.....
    Well, you are SO right, and I should be listened to - given the number of Lincolns and Mercurys I have purchased over the past 15 years. I'm your customer, Elena!! Give me some upgrades!

Let me elaborate - in 96, I traded my Continental in on a 97 Mountaineer when they first came out. I needed the SUV features at that time, as I was beating up the Continental on newly acquired dirt roads at a ranch I had come into possession of. But the one thing I missed the most was auto climate, and generally didn't like the Mountaineer because of it. In late 98, I was browsing the lot, and discovered that the Mountaineer had just been endowed with Auto Climate in the highest trim level available. I ordered one on the spot to replace my existing 97 Mountaineer. It made a huge difference. So I hope it does get added to the Mariner soon.
    Although the Mariner will sport interior fabric combination that might also come up on the new Milan...HINT...
    Italian drapery fabric,
    ANT? Or are you telling me the Milan won't have Auto Climate either?
    I'm saying, Milan will have interior fabric selections, similar to the Mariner... As in, look at the Mariner, and what makes the seats stand out from the Escape, and that you will see in the Milan...
    Elena is hard at work.
    I was in my dealership paying for brake job on my Infiniti, and noticed they had a new Mariner on the patio. It was a loaded up one, had about everything but a sunroof in it. Asked if I could take it for a drive, and was handed the keys. Here's my impression from a first drive.

My first thoughts as I got inside, was, Wow, this is comfortable! Kudos on the seats, which are firm, and very supportive laterally, plus, large enough for the overstuffed american male butt. I think the seats would be very comfortable over a long trip, front and rear. Seating position is high, and upright, cowl is very low, which gives even a short person a commanding view of the road and all things up front. The interior cabin appointments are very nice, if not luxurious. Materials overall seem of higher than expected quality, and the doors don't feel tinny like a CRV or RAV4 do. There is enough substance there to feel like it's a car.

Throttle tip-in is strong, so you get the illusion that there is plenty of power on tap. You sort of find out that is not really the case when you are trying to pass someone going 40, the engine is sort of winded at high speed, but for getting around town, it's very peppy. More power at low revs than at high. A quiet and pleasing power train.

Turn the radio off, and you are astounded with solid quality and quiet. Even the tire crash over miserable bumps is barely heard. This car is very well isolated from the world, and not a squeak, rattle or bang is even remotely heard. Solid as a rock, is how she feels. I was astounded that this car feels as solid as my Navigator.

Over all, I give it a big thumbs up! If this is the level of quality Ford is putting into the Mercury lineup, they may really have something going here. Now, if they can only get people to try them out. I'm sure they'll be as pleased and surprised as I was. If economy and quality is needed at the same time, this little SUV fills the bill nicely.

YMMV, of course. But I really liked it.
    Wow, I'm impressed that your impressed heh. Have you driven a regular Escape before the Mariner?
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Does the Mariner have stability control standard as do the Tucson, RAV, and CRV? And side curtians?

~alpha
    No, it has just it's 4x4 optional. And available side curtain airbags.
    No, ANT, it just happens, I had never taken the opportunity to try an Escape. Just didn't get around to it. So the Escape may be just as pleasing, I don't know, but I was surprised and delightede at how the Mariner exceeded my expectations. I think the quality of the interior and appealing layout, design and quality cues helped as well. The seats are exceptional for a small car, I thought. But, I repeat myself again. Honestly though, it's rare that my expectations are so widely exceeded by a car on the first drive. Frankly, there was very little I didn't like. I missed electronic climate, and memory seat. Other than that, it's all pretty much there.
    Yes, you know my issue over the Auto A/C heh... The Mariner gives you interior trim, that's a bit more cushier and classier over the Escape twim. The Mazda Tribute version, has different suspension settings, feels a bit more dug into the pavement, but very subtle. Of the three, Tribute is sportier, while Mariner is muxurious, while the Escape is the middle ground pleaser.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Did you see the positive write up of the 2005 Escape in this month's Consumer Reports. Ive driven one and been in several (prior to 2005), and always thought it was a good vehicle. Im not convinced of the Mariner, though, given its enhanced-lux position but not really offering some items that most would consider important on such a vehicle (standard side curtains, stability control, auto climate control, XM, etc).

At least its finally debuting, I feel like it was announced and shown at the auto show a decade ago (really 18 months, but thats still hella long).

Overall, I think I'd pick a Tribute.

~alpha
    I too am upset that Auto A/C was not offered, as well as a few luxury items, but comparing it with the Escape, it's almost prices somewhat the same. It's not unless you factor in rebates on the Escape, that might enhance it's appeal. I like how Mazda offers a 4yr/50K mile warranty, in case someone has concerns over reliability.

Overall the Escape/Tribute have received significant updates even if their styling doesn't show it. Many things have been revised and improved. Everything from the 4x4 system which reacts much quicker, to the sound proofing.

I haven't read Consumer Reports yet, considering their background and from past senarios, they are quite biased are one of those publications we don't really take seriously. Although I am aware how it's the bible for many consumer's.
    Well, the sound-proofing is very evident. That car was rock solid and quiet as a church. Amazing for the size and the money. Why doesn't Mercury join Mazda and Lincoln, by offering the 4/50 warranty? I think it would be a big sales advantage, and based on my experience with Mercurys, shouldn't cost Ford much in additional repairs.
    I agree, and that's something I have mentioned numerous times and have pushed for. Actually, Mercury buyer's seem to treat their vehicles much better, hence, have less repairs. It wouldn't cost that much to cover the vehicle an extra year, and if anything, it's really integrated into the intial price of the vehicle. What's an extra $150-300 for an extra year of coverage anyways.
    Well, this Lincoln-Mercury customer would appreciate it :)
    how much is it to add one more year to the warranty?
  • flasvtflasvt Member Posts: 64
    I am looking to replace my 2003 SVT Focus? I think my canine family outgrew my current drive. I have narrowed my list to the Mariner and the Freestyle. I am leaning towards the Mariner just for styling and comfort but there is this out thing that is putting me off. I haven't test driven one but I picked up a brochure from the local L-M dealer and by looking at the AC controls I noticed that it does not have separate buttons for AC and MAX AC thus impeding me from having MAX AC coming from the floor and dashboard at the same time as I can do in my Focus.

Am I missing something here? Please tell me I am.
    I'm pretty sure there is another way to accomplish that on the panel.....but I can't exactly remember how you do it. I only drove one one time. ANT?????
    Focus uses another control system than the Escape... I do not believe your able to accomplish that, with MAX A/C. I have to check on it...
  • billherrmannbillherrmann Member Posts: 108
    in Mariner,Tribute,or Escape????
  • flasvtflasvt Member Posts: 64
    Yeah the Focus has a separate button for AC and Max AC, which the japanese cars have had forever. I checked an 05 Mazda Tribute and the fixed it. I like the Mariner much better than the Tribute in every other aspect though.

Thank you nvbanker and ANT14 for looking into this.

Billhermann, the owner manual shows that the Match 300 (p. 23) and the CD/MP3 player (p. 27) are both satellite ready. That means that you have to buy a kit from the dealership to be able to receive satellite radio (p. 31)

All Ford manuals can be downloaded here:

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/ownerlit/default_retail.as- p?year=2005&vehCode=mrn
  • larry51klarry51k Member Posts: 35
    Does anyone know if I can have a remote starter put on my wifes Mariner? I don't want to foul up the keyless entry, warranty, etc. Anyone had experience with one? Any recommended brand if it is possible?
    so far, very funny.
  • beebee13beebee13 Member Posts: 38
    Hi all,
    I just stopped by a LM dealer this morning when I spotted the Mariner. My husband and I just so happened to test drive an Escape yesterday...it drove nice, but I was disappointed with the interior.....when I saw the interior of the Mariner I was VERY impressed....the price on both cars were pretty close which was surprising....also we are interested in the tow package on the Premier...since Escape now comes in a hybrid do you think LM will make a hybrid Mariner???we will be going on a test drive on Friday!....but my main question is how service is with LM dealerships....I live in So Cal.....
    I don't know about Mercury's service department, but their marketing department sure is funny. (and creative)
    Lincoln received first place in Customer Satisfaction with dealer service. According to JDPower...

http://www.jdpower.com/cc/auto/releases/winners.asp?StudyID=866&a- mp;CatID=1

Yes, there will be a Hybrid Mariner, but that won't debut till late next year, possible 2006. The issue lies on the battery pack manufacturer (Sanyo), and they are only able to produce 25K units yearly, therefore other venues must be studied to accomodate Mariner Hybrid, and Tribute Hyrbid.
  • housethouset Member Posts: 36
    What exactly is this message center with Compass display on the premier model?

I am completely Torn between the Tribute and Mariner. Right now the Mariner is a 1000 more out the door for me than the Tribute. Looking at Mariner Premier vs. Tribute with Leather.

I really did not like the Tribute's center console. I am going to test drive the Mariner on Saturday, so I hope it is a little nicer. I guess I am just spoiled with my wife's Mazda6 console. I don't like the black leather, but the beige does look sharp from the pics i saw.

Also, can anyone answer me if the Mach audio system is Mp3 compatible? The luxury model's 6 cd changer is.
    The information center lists numerous things...

High Engine Temperature
    Driver'S Door Open
    Passenger Door Open
    Rear Left Door Open
    Rear Right Door Open
    Liftgate Ajar
    Service Emmissions System
    Check Fuel Cap
    Low Brake Fluid
    Check Compass Module
    Compass Data Error
    Compass No Response
    Service Brake System
    Check Left Headlamp
    Check Right Headlamp
    Check Left High Beam
    Check Right High Beam
    Check Left Turn Lamps
    Check Right Turn Lamps
    Engine Change Oil Soon
    Engine Oil Change Now
    Low Fuel
    Service 4WD Soon
    Turn Signal On
    4WD Locked Temporarily
    4WD Disabled Temporarily
    4WD Auto Restored
    Average Fuel Economy
    Distance To Empty
    Instantaneous Fuel Economy
    Systems Check
    Compass
    INFO Display ON/OFF

There will be a Satellite Ready, Single CD, MP3 made available. As well as a Satellite Ready 6 Disc CD Changer in-unit, MP3 Premium Steteo made available at a later time if you don't see it introduced now.
  • beebee13beebee13 Member Posts: 38
    I'm really surprised that there is no monitor for the tire pressure!....Also, where is the spare?? and what do the side steps look like? Being on the shorter side I definitely need some help....Does it have mud flaps or are none needed? Thanks for the service info!....we will be checking a couple of dealerships to checkout the service depts. as well as test driving on Friday.....I can hardly wait!