Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercury Mariner

Comments

• jpjamesjpjames Posts: 4
    My Mariner has 13000 miles on it; it's the Premier with AWD. It averages about 20 mpg here in Eastern PA. Highway mileage is higher; around 22/23.
    I put a K&N air filter soon after pick up from the dealer. Also, the actual miles attained per gallon is about 2 mpg better than what shows on the computer.
  • like the post above said, you can go to www.mercuryvehicles.com and check the inventory to see the actual window sticker and the discounts you get.

the price is fixed under the plan, but make sure you fight for that finance rate.

:)
  • steenazsteenaz Posts: 2
    Has anyone tried to have the factory satellite equipment put on you "Satellite Ready: radio? Turns out it does not exist yet. I call this false advertising on the part of Ford and Mercury. I am quite ticked off with the dealership for not explaning this before they glued a frquency modulated head unit to my dash. I am having it uninstalled ASAP.
  • A friend of mine bought an Escape with the same unit that I have in my Mariner. He got the Sirius kit installed and it works great. Sounds like your dealer doesn't know what they're doing.
  • steenazsteenaz Posts: 2
    I even called another dealer, the Ford dealer that services my other car, and they told me the same thing. I also called the Lincoln Mercury customer service line and they were not sure what to do. I was give a number for the audio component maker and they might have answers.
  • donbarondonbaron Posts: 13
    Bumper to Bumper 3yrs/36,000. Drive train and Batteries on the Hybrid 8 yrs/80,000 miles. My Hybrid will be No. 29 rolling off the line in Kansas City. Wasn't sure about the purchase initially, however, with discounts, tax incentives, resale value and fuel efficiency my return on the hybrid technology is about 2 years. Don
  • Dunno man. I just know that my friend's works great. I can't say I'd get one myself...I'm an XM fan, as they are cheaper. I DO know that to install and all, my friend paid about 450. To me, that's not worth it. I can stick 6 CD's in my player and still be happy, as I've never had a CD changer in any of the vehicles I've had (02 Chevy S-10, 01 Ford Focus, 90 Dodge Dynasty).
  • mqnycmqnyc Posts: 6
    Does anybody know if the 6-CD stereo that comes with the Mariner Premier 4x4 can play MP3's?
  • mqnycmqnyc Posts: 6
    Will be purchasing a Mariner 4x4 premier soon and want to find out what the break-in period is for the Mariner.

Do any existing owners have details of the break-in period?
  • rdowneyrdowney Posts: 10
    This answer may vary by vehicle. The one that I purchased in late March (built in February, I think) does not play MP3s. However, the manual refers to units that do play MP3s and describes them as "late availability." Don't count on playing MP3s unless you check the specific Mariner that you are planning to buy.
  • I was told it is 1000 miles.
  • From the manual:

BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE
    Your vehicle does not need an extensive break-in. Try not to drive
    continuously at the same speed for the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km) of
    new vehicle operation. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the
    moving parts a chance to break in.
    Drive your new vehicle at least 500 miles (800 km) before towing a
    trailer.
    Do not add friction modifier compounds or special break-in oils during
    the first few thousand miles (kilometers) of operation, since these
    additives may prevent piston ring seating. See Engine oil in the
    Maintenance and Specifications chapter for more information on oil
    usage.
  • clariosclarios Posts: 19
    Yes. The sticker price and incentives/rebates are available on the internet. But the employee prices are not. That's what I was wondering about. I got a reply on messate 394 by nesa_ofc with that infor. (thanks)
  • clariosclarios Posts: 19
    I stand corrected... when I checked before, the employee pricing was not available at mercuryvehicles.com. Now it is.
  • vanz73vanz73 Posts: 3
    There are several after market systems recent on the market that work through a special "cd changer" connection on the back of the radio - Word is they work well with the MACH unit. I took the following approach because the MACH head unit is weak on the readout part of satellite radio.

I installed a XM Radio SkyFi2 unit using a fm modulator that runs in line with the MACH radio antenna lead. I set the skyfi 2 unit over the small storage bin in front of the gear shift (when the vehicle is in drive you have unobstructed access). I like XM radio -- ACC basketball live. The SkyFi2 has a "tivo" like feature in that it is always recording up to the last 30 minutes of whatever you are listening to. You can both pause and go back with this unit. In terms of installation. I placed the satellite antenna on the back of the roof and fed the wire under the back lift door's rubber weather seal. I than slipped it under the moulding running down the side of the vehicle, under the passenger seat and under the center console. The console lifts off (spring clips). Be careful, there is a trim plate (chromed plastic) around the gear shift - It will lift off too when you lift the center console top (work it free once it has lifted a little bit - four zigzag type friction taps about 1 1/2 inches long). Than return to lift the center console plate - it is tricky sliding it off the parking brake. I mounted the FM modulator (delphi part S10003 or similar) and removed the MACH radio by going to circuit city and having one of their techs use the special tools to remove it (Bonus comment about Circuit City - they volunteered to do this for free and I drove it home with it slightly popped out to finish my install). Connect the red power line to the switched power supply going into the radio (I used a simple circuit testor to find it). Hook up the rest of the leads. I drilled a hole in the front wall of the small bin to feed the satellite antenna lead, the power lead and the audio out. This really works well - I have great satellite sound going into my MACH radio.
  • flasvtflasvt Posts: 64
    It does exists and I have in on my Mariner, is made by Visteon. Is quite expensive so I did purchase the tuner and antenna on eBay and had it installed privately. Works great and I really enjoy Sirius. I don;t like to have aftermarket units glued to the dash so this was the only way to go for me.
  • Does anyone have an 05 Mariner and have the power steering and valve of the power steering going out on them. I am up to 3 times. I am totally frustrated and want out of this car. I have made countless phone calls to the dealer and to the Mercury Customer Support Center and have gotten no where. I am forced to file a lemon law complaint.
    Any feedback or experience with similar problems would be greatly appreciated.
    Tara
    Staten Island, NY
  • si88si88 Posts: 39
    I am looking at a Mercury Mariner 2005 here in Louisiana to replace the wife's flooded Jeep by this weekend. So far I see the '05's have the best rebates. Is the employee price that they advertise after these rebates are applied? I am looking at an 05 with the following options:

REAR CARGO CONVENIENCE PKG
    INTERIOR CARGO MANAGEMENT SYS
    RETRACTABLE CARGO COVER
    POWER MOONROOF WITH SHADE
    ROOF RACK WITH CROSSBARS
    MINI-OH CONSOLE W/BIN & MAP LIGHTS
    FULL SIZE SPARE WHEEL/TIRE
    TRAILER TOWING, CLASS II
    DYNAMIC SIDE IMPACT PACKAGE
    SAFETY CANOPY & SIDE AIR BAGS
    PREMIUM LEATHER TRIM (BLACK)

TOTAL MSRP $27,415.00
    EMPLOYEE PRICE $24,511.79
    CASH BACK ($1,000.00)

Sorry for the ALL CAPS nortsr1. Can I do better than this Merc Family Price or is this price non negotiable? They also mention an "extra $1000 in clearance cash" but I think that is the same cash back incentive listed above.

If anyone has had experience with buying a Mariner lately please let me know about it and why you choose Mariner over the Escape and Tribute.

Also is the rear parking sensor something that can be added later or is it factory installed only?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Posts: 1,060
    You probably won't do much better than the emplyee pricing along with the rebate. It might be possible they are offering a$1000.00 finance incentive if you go thru FOMCO...but I am not certain. That extra $1000.00 clearance cash ( I don't know what that $1000.00 clearance cash is all about (it might be some mfg. to dealer cash that is being offered to Lincoln Mercury dealers).
    I happen to own a 2005 Mercury Mariner that I purchased back in January. At that time, there was a $2000.00 rebate, a $500. hurricane incentive, plus I am a member of the EAA which qualifies me for X-Plan pricing (not quite as good as Employee pricing), so I am telling you your deal sounds pretty darn good to me.
    I have never averaged under 20 miles per gallon (and I use the A/C faithfully) and on several trips from Florida to Nj and back, I averaged 25 to 26 mpg. I can honestly say it is the most trouble free vehicle I have ever owned (fingers crossed). Except for the normal routine maintenance, it has had ZERO problems.
    Sounds as though you are getting the top of the line Mariner. Go for it! Stop asking "Can I do better" This is a great deal....and yes...I forgive you for again using those big bad Caps!!!
    I think that Emplyee pricing is over in a couple of days, and then you will kick your own butt by "hesitating". He who hesitates is lost!!!!!!!
  • si88si88 Posts: 39
    Thanks for your input nortsr1. We are going to get this one on Sat. I too will be getting a $750 Katrina rebate. You are correct, the $1,000 clearance cash is if financing thru the FMCC. So with that incentive plus the $1,000 rebate and the $750 hurricane, it would total $2,750 in rebates. If I don't use FMCC than I'd add back $1000. Either way my out the door 'employee' price including TTL and all fees is $23,818 with all rebates applied.

The one I am looking at is white exterior with black leather interior. Since I too live in the South I am a bit concerned that the black leather seats will be super hot if the vehicle has been sitting in the sun. I really like this one because of its side airbags option since the wife and kids will be mostly in this vehicle. What kind of Mariner did you buy and which options did you end up with or wish you had? Do you have the SIRIUS?

Thanks again.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Posts: 1,060
    I know mine already had the tinted factory OEM window, plus I bought a silver type coated reflective front windshield doohickie at Pep Boys for around ten bucks (they come in several sizes, so measure the "height area" of the inside of your windshield) (it reflects the suns rays and helps quite a bit when "parked" (do not try when driving) (That's a joke). If the windows are not "tinted enough for your satisfaction, just go to a local "Tint" shop (plenty of them down South) and they can do the job for about $150.00. Just make sure it is the legal tint % for your state. They will know.
    I did not have Sirius, but did have the side airbags, and all the other goodies (leather, etc.)
    P:S. Glad to hear you are getting it. Good luck and many, many safe and enjoyable miles.
  • I recently purchased a 2005 Mariner Luxury with the Luxury Enhancement package, which gave me a radio with a 6-disc changer. The version of the radio I received was the MP3-capable, satellite-ready version (the one listed as "late availability" in the owner's manual). After I got the Mariner home, I took out the owner's manual and went over it, feature by feature, to get familiar with the vehicle. Unfortunately, I discovered that I could not access the RDS feature (which all Mariner 6-disc changers are supposed to have, according to both the manual and internal sales materials) and that the speed-sensitive volume didn't work (although I could access it and adjust the settings, but with no effect on the volume at any speed).

To make a long story shorter, after visits to two L-M dealers and a call to the Mercury hotline, I was told that although the correct radio was installed, the vehicle was wired with a 16-pin connector for the radio unit, and a 24 pin connector is required for the RDS and speed-sensitive volume to function. (The back of the radio unit has both 16- and 24-pin sockets.) The first dealer also showed me a Mariner from earlier in the production run that had the non-satellite/non-MP3 6-disc changer, and the RDS worked fine (speed sensitive volume wasn't available with that version of the radio).

I can only come to two conclusions: either my car was wired incorrectly, or Mercury decided to install "upgraded" radios without upgrading the wiring, knowing they would then not have full functionality. (Although in this competitive age where quality is so important, I can't imagine purposely installing wiring for the radio so that a driver is able to access and "adjust" the speed-sensitive volume, but with no effect... to say nothing of the missing RDS. You're just inviting frustration...)

Anyway, I'm wondering whether anyone else has had (or heard of) this problem, and what they've done about it. I'm having a hard time finding information about it(both dealers I talked to have never dealt with anything like this before), so whatever help or advice any of you might have would be much appreciated. Thanks!
  • I'm having a similar problem with the power steering. It has failed twice on me in 4 months (since I bought the car). First time, there was a lot of noise coming from the engine and they replaced the entire power steering system (this was in the first month that I bought the car). Second time, I was on a highway driving at 65 mph and the power steering failed on me. Can you please advise how did you go about filing a companit with Mercury? I don't want to drive this car ever again.

Dilip
    Houston, TX
  • I purchased my Mercury Mariner in July 05 and have had it in the shop for 30 days for a rattling noise located in the front right of the vehicle. The dealership & engineers were looking at the steering mechanism & were unable to locate the problem. They told me the noise was under investigation & they would have to re-design the power steering return line. To date they have not figured out the source of the problem. On 11/13/05, my power steering failed. The belt was shredded & the dealership is trying to convince me that it was a faulty belt. I truely believe the Mariner has a faulty steering system.
  • I am experiencing the same problem. Refer to #421. Have you filed any complaints through Ford Motor Company? Recently I sent out letters to various consumer complaint sites because the Ford Customer Complaint Hotline is useless!! I would love to get rid of this truck....it has been a nightmare since the day I drove off the lot!!! Any Luck?

Jeanine
    Long Island, NY
  • OK Larry,I own a 05 Mariner and last week I had a remote starter installed. I went to a audio store in town. IT cost me 302.00 it took about 3hrs. I love it. the only problem I have is that they replace your fac. remote with theirs it locks and unlocks but if your engine is'nt running when you use their remote to unlock your horn will start to blow.When that happins I just start the car with the remote.By the way the remote has a 3 year warrenty, 2 remotes. and a 1000 foot range they also duplacted a key so I still have my spare. Good luck
    Dave glunt
  • I have a 2005 4WD Premier Mariner. I wanted to make sure my heated seats are working properly. The manual states the heated seats will turn off after 10 minutes or when you turn off your car. Mine doesn't do either of those. I don't care about the 10 minutes but when you turn off your car and then turn it on again, the seats should be off until you decide to turn it on again. Can anyone tell me how their seats work?

Also, I can't find it in the manual, but my Mariner doesn't have the auto lock door feature. I am talking about the doors automatically locking when you put the car in gear and start to drive. I love this feature but can't seem to get a straight answer from the dealership. They told me maybe it has to be programmed, but they also said not all Mariners came with this feature. They were going to look into it but I haven't heard from them. They tried a few Mariners on the lot and they all had the feature, but mine doesn't. I think it is strange that a Premier doesn't have this. Does anyone out there not have this feature on theirs.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
  • rdowneyrdowney Posts: 10
    I also have a 2005 4WD Premier, and it works exactly like yours. The heated seats remain on until they are turned off, and there is no auto lock feature.
  • I just found out from my dealer that earlier models had the feature of the heated seats turning off after 10 minutes. But for later models, they changed something with the seats so we don't have that feature. I'm disappointed because I can't tell if the passenger seat is on. There should be something on the dashboard telling us when the seats are on.

Thanks for your response.
  • lyqdqlyqdq Posts: 1
    I just get my 06 Luxury Forward, one thing worries me is that when I turn the key, (right before fire the engine,) the message center displays a message of “service emission sys”, the warning message disappeared after the ignition. The message, according to the manual, is displayed when “the engine has been defaulted to “limp-home” operation”. Does anyone have any ideas what does that suppose to mean? I took it back to the dealership and they told me it is fine as far as the message doesn’t show when the engine is on, but I am still not totally convinced. Any advice, please.