Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercury Mariner

Comments

• beerme1beerme1 Member Posts: 67
    Thanks for your input. I guess I am one of those people it will bother then because I have to let off the gas when it does it. I'm not comfortable just continuing on with my right foot when it's knocking. I guess your description applies to me though in that it is a trace knock.
    My dealer recommended I put some premium in it and see what happens but only once in a while otherwise the copmuter would get trained to want the premium. I don't need that!
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    My experience is the gas won't help. It gets worse when it's hot, in the winter they don't do it. If we take it on the freeway frequently, it seems to help. So that means it's just carbon buildup. It even says in the manual that you'll experience trace knock, and it's normal.

I'd put my foot in it anyway, and drive normally. It's under warranty, if the engine blows, and it won't, you're covered. Turn up the radio - best solution.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    This is in response to the new story on inside line: 2008 Mariner

I think they will see 2008 Mariner sales decline. The current Mariner at least looks nice. The 'new' one offers NO IMPROVEMENTS to make it competetive. Toyota has a bigger rav4, with 268hp! What is this? I bet this garbadge outdated 3.0L V6 at 200hp will be LESS fuel efficient than toyotas 3.5L!

It was excusable in the 500 and Montego b/c the rest of the vehicle was top notch. Now even thats not good enough, and Ford knows it.

This is so bad! Also, its not like Ford does not HAVE an engine that can compete, but for now they are not putting it in. Meybe they will do so next year, bu by then all of the reviews would hae come in saying how uncompetetive the mariner is.

I also did not read the mention of a Nav system, and i don't think the speakers will be Alpine, either. I know you will say ford has supply issues, so they can't allocate this engine to the Mariner. Then... HOLD OFF 1 YEAR! They will loose so much goodwill in the reviews its not even funny.

I really like the current mariner, and just with Fords new 3.5 was in it, with a nav system and a new steering wheel. Instead, they stick with same old same old. They can't afford to put out junk like this.

I really hope Ford's situation gets better. They should not be calling this a new product.
    You do know that the V-6 in the Mariner is a Mazda designed and built engine, not the venerable, but very good Vulcan V-6 that Taurus has used since 1986, don't you? They are not related at all.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    I know that, but toyota has already had its 268hp RAV4 on the arket for a while, and the others are comming out with similar sized small SUV's with Navs, better fuel economy, and more power.

If they wanted to make a new Mariner, instead of putting in the old (not vulcan old, but still) DOHC V6, they could have kept the very pleasing (IMO) current design, add a few feautres, and then NEXT YEAR when they have the capacity put in your 263hp V6. Then it really will be a new Mariner.

This is a joke to me.
    Well, I'm not laughing, but I agree Ford has their head up their butts on a few things. They have the lowest HP with the lowest mileage too, which is contra-indicated. Clearly, they need some new engine technology.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Sorry, tides - we go back a long way, and this format change is a dumb idea, IMO. I don't have many issues, I have certain cars I like to follow for information and commentary. I like general brand forums. Why can't we have both? That's my input. My continued participation will depend on how user friendly these forums remain. :cry:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Why can't we have both?

Someone floated the idea of a "Meet the Members" style topic. And we certainly do value our long timers and welcome newcomers who we hope will be able to find what they are looking for more easily!

tidester, host
  • sanaraelsanarael Member Posts: 2
    I have a 3 day old mariner hybrid that I've put about 300 highway miles on. After 60 highway miles today, I pulled into my driveway put it in park and it died. It will not idle in park or in drive for more than about 15 secs - then I have to restart it. Anyone know what is wrong?
    You have a full warranty. Take it in. Some $3 sensor component made by Visteon has probably failed. Not a big deal.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    There have been a lot of reports of excessive road noise in the Mariner. I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who has improved the situation by installing a different brand of tire.
    BF Goodrich Rugged Trails are remarkably quiet, as are Michelin Pilots. If your Mariner came with Continental tires, they probably aren't the best - you may improve things with a change out, but I can't guarantee the difference will be worth the cost. I'd burn the tires you have off, then switch to one of the other brands.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    Thanks for the advice, nv. I just bought the car for my teenage step-daughter. It only has 8700 miles on it, so I assume it will be quite a while before it needs new tires. You Mariner fans out there might be interested in this: my step-daughter is only interested in a car's styling and image. She decided she wanted an SUV, so, being a car nut, I wanted to make some recommendations. She rejected the CR-V, RAV-4, Highlander, Nitro, PT Cruiser, and Liberty, but liked the Escape and Mariner. Go figure....
    For some reason, girls like 'em. Run into that a lot.
  • ladykillerladykiller Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone! I just purchased a 2005 4WD V6 Premier Mariner with ~33,500 miles on it. My mechanice said the back passenger side tire was 'cupped'. I read all of the previous posts re: tire tread and wearing, thank you for the info! I'm taking it into a tire shop today to find out the real cause of the cupping and hopefully new tires and an alignment (from the dealer) will fix the problem. I'll keep you posted.
    At 33,000 miles, a new set of tires isn't a bad idea anyway. I recommend either Dunlops or Michelins. Having the alignment checked after the new tires are on is a good idea as well.
  • twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    My wife and I just purchased a 2007 Mariner Premier and all is well so far. It's her car and she loves everything about it. Especially the audiophile 6CD/mp3 stereo and the heated leather seats. It's the dark red color.

I would have prefered a Honda CRV that got better mileage but hey, what can you do? Marriage is compromise. ;)
  • tonyjrosatonyjrosa Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 premeier (non-hybrid) and I want aftermarket nerf bars. Anyone one have some they would like to recommend? please email me at sonosurferdx@gmail.com. Also, do the Ford Escape nerf bars fit?

thanks in advance.
    Tony
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I don't own a hybrid. but am considerng an 08 Escape/Mariner Hybrid and have been reading a lot about them. One feature they have is that the gas engine completely shuts off when that car is in "idle" and it uses 100% electric motor to start going. If that is true, you may not have a problem at all - it may just be a feature of Ford's 100% hybrid system. Just a thought.
  • mcalhounmcalhoun Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Mercury Mariner and it did not come with nerf bars. I am a very short female and since vehicle is so high I wanted them. I bought them and had them installed by Ocala Lincoln Mercery (who I bought vehicle from). I payed $530.00 for them. I cannot use them, it's makes it harder for me to get in and out. I am fixing to have them removed from the dealership and let them keep them (I would lose half my money), so if you are interested in them for $400, please let me know...

Mary
    812-2280 cell
  • fatshenryfatshenry Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 Mariner 4WD V6 (25,000 miles), I think the tires are cupped also. Will the dealer replace the tires under warranty.

Thanks,

Bill
    I bought 2005 Mercury Mariner Premier (28,000 mi) to months ago. The tire noise is really bugging me, has anyone experienced the same. It could be that the tires are cupped, does Ford warranty cover cupped tires.?

Thanks,

Bill
    There is a lot! of tire road noise from my 2005 Mariner. The faster you go, the louder it gets. Has anyone experiened the same thing and What did you do about it, did you change tire brands, did it help, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bill
    There is a lot of difference in road noise between brands, tread designs and wear patterns. And you can affect the road noise in the car by changing tires easily. Generally speaking - very cheap tires are noisiest.
  • robinhirthrobinhirth Member Posts: 2
    Is it normal for my 2007 Mariner to idle at 2000 rpm when I have a cold weather start? It idles at 2000 rpm for about 4 seconds, then drops down to 1200 rpm over the next five seconds. My dealership says this is normal and no codes show up in their engine analyzer.

The history on this car may be important. Nine weeks after I purchased the car I was in an accident which sliced off the front end back to the radiator and frame. Two months and $14,000 later, the cold weather has arrived.

Should I be concerned about a high rpm before oil has reached engine parts? Thank you for any advice you can offer.
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    Robin,

I know your post is almost a month old, but I thought I'd reply anyway. My brother just bought a 2008 Mariner Premier a couple of months ago, and he's complained of exactly the same thing. But, the dealership said this is normal control of the initial idle speed by the ECM. My brother was also worried about the top end (valvetrain) lubrication when cold during the initial 2,000 RPM idle, but again, it appears perfectly normal. If you are concerned, you may wish to consider using synthetic oil in the specified viscosity range, as it tends to provide quicker lubrication at start up, especially if you live in a cold climate and park the Mariner outside.
  • robinhirthrobinhirth Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much for responding to my question about my Mariner's cold idle. You were the only person to reply so it is comforting to know that your brother was also told it was normal.
  • taft_hartleytaft_hartley Member Posts: 1
    Just bought an 08 Mariner Premier. The book says to do oil changes at 7,500 miles. That seems to be a really long time between changing it. Has anyone followed it and been OK or followed it and had problems?
  • weziespiceweziespice Member Posts: 3
    Hi all
    I'm told that the 08's changes have eliminated some problems from previous years.
    Specifically exessicve wind noise (internal sound proofinng) and the wheel cupping problem.
    For those that do have the 08, w/a V6 engine, how do you feel the overall ride is, city and highway?

Are you happy with it?

Thanks
  • mzantimzanti Member Posts: 1
    Can anybody tell me where the pcv valve is on a1998 mercury mountaineer v8

thanks mike
  • puffdaddyjpuffdaddyj Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 V6 3.0L engine, at a stop when in drive or reverse the engine reduces rpm and stalls. Please advise. Thanks J
  • cammys2cammys2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Mercury Mariner FWD 4 Cyl. and about 78000 miles on it. When I come to a stop from driving the RPM drops and the engine gets real sluggish and dies. It has been doing this for about 1000 miles so far and tool it into a Ford Dealership, wrong thing to do. Charged me $73 to tell me the Idle Air Control Valve was bad, so I replaced it and about 24 hrs later started having the same problem all over again. Took it again to another Ford Dealership out of state as I was on a trip. Cost me $93 to tell me there was nothing the computer could find and no faults in the memory. You have to get the engine hot and be running the AC for this to act up, any ideas anyone? :confuse:
  • kmausskmauss Member Posts: 72
    Hi there,
    I looked at a Ford Escape a few years ago and basically I like the vehicle, but I thought the interior was cheesy and the seats were awful, so it got eliminated from my list. I'm just starting to look around again for when my lease is up, and I need a vehicle that will haul 'stuff' but isn't a land yacht. I haven't actually gone to look at these yet, but I was wondering about the interior comfort issue. I'm fairly picky about seats and the person who would most often be riding with me is incredibly picky about seat comfort due to a bad back.

Also wondering about long term durability. My family's experiences with Fords have not been too good.

thanks
    Karen
  • ebc79ebc79 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 2006 Mariner brand new and have had it in the dealership now 3 times for the same problem. My power steering keeps going out on me. The first time they said it was the power steering switch and they replaced that. 8 months later, it happened again and they said they probably just replaced it the first time with a faulty switch and replaced it again. Low and behold 8 months later, it happens again! This time they said they had to call Ford and find out what to do and they told them to change the power steering pump. Has anyone else had this problem? Also, my warranty is up in a couple months, do I take my chance on keeping this car? Is there anyway I can make the dealership take it back after this has happened 3 times? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks
    EBC
  • airboi80airboi80 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2008 Mariner V6 2WD Premier and noticed that it sits around 2000rpm for 10 seconds or so before starting to lower its rpms.This hasn't made me nervous because my roommates 2006 lincoln LS does about the same thing and his BMW X3 before that always started at a higher rpm level before lowering. The computer module is programmed what rpm level to run the engine at until it is warmed up, then either a quick tap on the gas pedal or putting it into gear will lower the rpm's.
  • airboi80airboi80 Member Posts: 2
    I love my 08 Mariner V6 2WD Premier and I think the sound noise is good-Very good but this is the first american SUV I've owned. I really notice the tire noise on the road, but I have just accepted that its because the factory Continentals are probably cheap SUV tires. They do seem to grip fairly well in a snow storm, but sound more like a large truck with oversized tires. If you turn up the stereo like I do, then you won't hear the road noise.

Happy Driving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • KLH547KLH547 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '08 Mercury Mariner V6 that I leased in May of '08. I have not owned an American car in some time and this one was leased very very quickly with very little research. The purchase of a leased car fell through at the last minute and I had to find a car and fast!
    Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else had experienced any of the following?
    the passenger doors - front and back - were taking on water, soaking the carpet and underneath the plastic edge. All of the door seals had to be replaced - only had the car for 4 mos. at the time. The car also has the reverse sensing system - now periodically, when I put the car into reverse, it starts going off even if nothing is there. I have gotten out and checked and nothing. Also, I cannot get the gas tank to fill beyond 3/4 of a tank. No matter what, I have even overfilled the tank and no dice. In addition to the gas tank, the mileage per gallon gauge which I reset everytime I fill the tank swings wildly, and I mean wildly! Anywhere from 9 miles per gallon to 42! Which I know is so not true!!
    Any feedback would be great!
  • paulcarterpaulcarter Member Posts: 1
    I know your message is old, but we also have a 05 Mariner FWD 4 cyl. had the same problem replaced the idle air control valve and had the same problem. Did you ever get the problem solved? If so, how? If not how has the car been since your post? We like the car and want to take good care of it so that it will last for a long time. Any information would be helpful.
  • counselor4444counselor4444 Member Posts: 47
    Having the same problem here on my 05 Mariner V6 FWD with 86K mi. Car stalls sometimes when coming to a stop. Brought it into my local dealership (Fette Ford) and they changed everything from spark plugs to fuel injection tubes. Cost me $1400. Now, one week later, still stalling. I am taking it back in tomorrow.

When the stalling first began, I found that Ford had released a technical service bulletin (bulletin 07-5-6) for the 05 Ford Escape and 05 Mercury Mariner models that state that sporadic stalling may be caused by a failing torque converter. I told the dealership this when I went there last week. They said no. I guess they will have to re-evaluate this. I am not paying them another $1400. This is ridiculous.
  • tiffametiffame Member Posts: 1
    We had a bunch of rain yesterday and the inside of my Merc Mariner flooded on the driver side floorboard!!!! Has anyone else had this happen? and if so, What in the world do I do? I took it to the dealership and their run around story is, there is a drain plug in case of big spills inside the cabin happens they can unplug it and drain whatever liquid.....But could not tell me where the plug is....So, I know they are full of it but need to know how to get it fixed.....
    Please anyone who has any info... :confuse:

Thank you
  • consumer69consumer69 Member Posts: 2
    I have owned a vehicle tht leaked on me on the drivers side. It was not this vehicle, but it was caused by the vehicle being parked on unlevel ground and the drivers side raised higher than the passenger side and the accumulation of water underneath the door.

Hope it helps to know this information.
  • wilmasorphanswilmasorphans Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2010 V6 AWD Mariner. Am interested in getting a remote start installed. The car comes with practically every bell and whistle except that. The dealership wants 600+ to install. A local installer wants 250. Another installer quoted 175 for basic package. How many different types of remote starts are there and what are the differences? I want one solely for the purpose of warming my car in winter and helping to melt the snow off the car when necessary. :(
  • ccardamoneccardamone Member Posts: 4
    I just bought mine with the remote start...it's listed at around $350.00 option...I can't believe they asked $600 installed...you may just want to go to a private shop. I found out that with the new "my key" feature, the engine shuts down when you open the door anyway...so much for the "factory install" being better. Most after market systems allow you to enter the vehicle with the engine still running. I would check with Best Buy, or Car Stereo Outlets to get a price. Good luck! :)
  • ben74ben74 Member Posts: 1
    I'm also having severe issues with power steering on my 2006 Mariner. Bought new. Replaced the pump and rack and pinion at around 40k miles (outside warranty of course). Replaced the pump again at 60k miles. I have about 90k miles now and the pump is screaming again. Have you or anyone else had these issues and found out the root cause. I called Ford telling this has to be a factory defect. I've never had a vehicle with this many power steering problems. Trying to figure out if adding an inline filter or some type of hydraulic regulator might help pressure spikes in the system?
  • ebc79ebc79 Member Posts: 2
    Fortunately, I haven't had any problems since they replaced the whole power steering pump instead of just the switch. However, I'm not quite at 60K so I'm hoping your experience isn't an indicator of my future experiences with that car! Sorry, I'm not much help!
  • danzigdandanzigdan Member Posts: 50
    I inherited a 2007 Mariner Luxury from my parents with 34k. Yes, the factory tires are ridiculously loud on some types of pavement. They seem to be wearing well though. Must be a REALLY hard compound.
  • danzigdandanzigdan Member Posts: 50
    I have a very small (and evidently low) 1.5 car garage and the Mariner will not fit inside because of the antenna!!! Anyone know of a flexible antenna or at least one of a smaller size that would fit the vehicle without a lot of fuss?
  • hopdevil77hopdevil77 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same issue with my 2005 dealer couldn’t find it so I took a bunch of 2 liter bottles with food coloring and started dumping them on the driver side wind shield, found that a hole on the inside fender was wide open its about 1.5 inches and you can see it when you put your head up under the steering wheel kind of awkward but look up towards the fender and you will see the hole its right above were the wires come through the side wall please let me know if you find and fix it. I fix mine with high end duct tape. Good luck!
  • jh42jh42 Member Posts: 1
    Have an '07 with factory installed moonroof. About a month ago, moonroof began failing in various stages. First, it wouldn't completely close so that it would seal tightly leaving about a quarter inch gap. Then it wouldn't open or close unless I pushed the button and manually pushed the glass into place. Then the last time I tried to operate it, the motor worked but pieces of the rail assembly began falling into the cabin. I called American Sunroof, one of the largest aftermarket sunroof companies, and they explained this is a common problem with Escapes, Mariners and Tributes. Little plastic pieces that are part of the assembly commonly fail and that to fix it would require repacing the entire assembly as Ford does not sell the components separately. Bottom line....$800. However, found a company on the internet that manufactures a kit with metal parts, T.G. Automotive. Price of kit...$135