Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda - Does it have a good future in US?

Comments

• aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    From what I heard, Mazda cut back RX-8 production for MY 06 to produce more Mazda3's. The NA market is the smallest of Mazda markets, the Mazda3 is a huge global vehicle.

Go to any Mazda dealer, and they will tell you they wish they had more Mazda3's. It's getting to the point where dealers will not swap them out to another dealer because of short supply. I know we are hesitant to swap one out now unless we are receiving one in return.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    Whats the siutation with the MX-5 Miata's low inventory anyway does Mazda North America have to fight other markets for production space and cars with the MX-5 Miata like they do with the 3?

At my local Mazda dealer they have a stack of 6's but definately not nearly as many 3's as 6's. I just didn't think that the 3 in its 3rd year of bodystyle would still be having an inventory problem in NA. Chrysler is having the same problem with the Caliber in keeping up with supply even though the Caliber is built in Illinois and not overseaes like the 3 is.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    does Mazda North America have to fight other markets for production space and cars with the MX-5 Miata like they do with the 3?

yup they sure do....this topic is always a hot button for us. We have 30 miata's in January when its 5 degrees and snowing and and 3 in June when everyone wants one..it seems that the dealers in Arizona get their mix at the wrong time also...so its all over not just in some regions.

The mazda ordering/allocation system is a big part of the problem...A few years ago I was 10-14 days from order to delivery...now its 4-5 months. We went from a port allocation system to a factory order system and it is less than perfect to say the least.
  • wonderwallwonderwall Posts: 126
    read somewhere that the Mazda 2 is coming... anyone know when?
  • mwqamwqa Posts: 106
    I've been watching, but not heard anything.

The little I have heard is about the next generation:

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/02/07/mazda-helping-ford-develop-subcompact-for-u-s- /

or is just rumour:

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/12/27/mazda-to-join-compact-car-craze/

Wikipedia believes that it will come: "North American sales of the Mazda2 are expected to start in 2007, where other subcompacts (Toyota Yaris, Nissan Versa, Honda Fit) will also debut. It will fill the gap in Mazda's subcompact line since the Mazda 323 hatchback was discontinued for North America in the mid-1990s."

I have also heard that Mazda Canada is thinking of selling it, but there again, only rumours. With all the other major (Asian) cars companies entering this segment, I can't see Mazda staying out for too long. :confuse:
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    I would love to see the Mazda2 come to North America. I do not think it will be here in 2007. Possibly 2008?

I think it is great that Mazda is starting to carry a full line of vehicles.

I think Mazda Canada is under Mazda North American Operations, which includes the U.S..
  • voltronguyvoltronguy Posts: 10
    Does anyone know if there will be a yaer end clearance or incentives event? I know all the US companies are starting to roll out theirs.
    I read somewhere that a supcompact for the US market will not be put out. Mazda says a supcompact for the US costs too much money too make I think. I don;t believe Mazda is just going to give supcompact sales away to Toyota, Honda, and Nissan in the US. Afterall small cars are what Mazda is known for in the US. The last generation Protege and the 3 were and are good sellers in the US.
  • As a former Mazda owner in the '80s who recently returned to the fold (bought an '06 Mazda3 hatchback in January, which I absolutely, totally adore), I think Mazda is clearly on the upswing again. After a stretch of boring and forgettable vehicles in the '90s and early '00s, Mazda has gotten its personality back. The 3 is a great little car and would no doubt sell in greater quantities if inventory weren't so tight. The CX7 and CX9 are the most interesting and sharp-looking crossovers to hit the market since the Nissan Murano.I predict steadily rising sales, and deservedly so.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,691
    CX7 and CX9 in the line-up, I can't imagine why they would bring back the Tribute next year. Here you've got two pretty impressive and carlike crossovers, why add the noisy truckish Tribute to the mix, when it's the same size?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

CX7 and CX9 in the line-up, I can't imagine why they would bring back the Tribute next year

the Tribute returns early next year as a 2008 model. Some folks want the truckish feel...especially if they are towing or travel in some off road situations. Crossovers generally don't tow as well and they are terrible off road.
    I had a friend with a Tribute, and after one look at that suspension I know I would never take one even a foot off the road. Well graded dirt roads, OK. But then, you could get most crossovers down well-graded dirt roads. Besides, the "sporty" suspension of the Tribute would shake you to death if you ever tried to go offroad in it.

Now as for towing, I was thinking about that when I made the original post. Does the Tribute in fact tow significantly more than the CX models?

• carlisimocarlisimo Posts: 1,280
    I would expect the Tribute to last as long as the current-gen Escape, because... why not? Gotta keep that Escape factory from dropping even more in capacity utilization.
    Yes, but did you hear? The current Escape is all done. The all-new-for-'07 is coming any day. The Tribute clone, however, is taking a six-month break. And given the arrival of the CX duo, it seems like it might just be better to let the Tribute's break become permanent.

Now as for towing, I was thinking about that when I made the original post. Does the Tribute in fact tow significantly more than the CX models?

3500lbs vs 2000lbs.

I wasnt talking real off road like a wranger or land Rover defender but things like boat ramps and moderate off road which I have done in the Tribute...
    "I think Mazda is clearly on the upswing again. After a stretch of boring and forgettable vehicles in the '90s and early '00s, Mazda has gotten its personality back."

Well the first portion of the 90's(1990-1994) were good for Mazda. The last portion of the 90's(1995-1999)were denfinately as good as the first portion of the 90's. The early 00's weren't boring it was just that Mazda didn't have alot of new product out they had the 00 MPV and 01 Tribute and that was it before the 03 6 came out. I agree Mazda had gotten its personality back starting with the 99 Protege.

"The CX7 and CX9 are the most interesting and sharp-looking crossovers to hit the market since the Nissan Murano.I predict steadily rising sales, and deservedly so."

Yeah Mazda sales are up 4&% I think this year vs last year(188K in 06 vs 181K in 05) thanks to rising sales of the new MX-5 Miata and new CX-7.
    Doesn't the CX-7 start at 24K-25K or something. Isn;t that a price overlap with the new CX-5 Tribute V6? I know pricing for the 08 CX-5 Tribute isn't out yet but I would think the CX-5 Tribute V6 would be priced in the 24K-25K price range. I wonder if the 08 CX-5 Tribute will offer a standard 4cyl engine along with the V-6 option like the 01-06 model did. I have seen a picture of the 08 CX-5 Tribute and it looks like an "evolution" of the 01-06 model with the Mazda emblem being a little bigger on the front grille than the 01-06 model had it.
    Oh GAWD, TELL me they aren't going to rename the Tribute the CX5!!!

I think I am instituting a new policy for myself: I will no longer buy any car that does not have an actual model NAME instead of some stupid letter-number combo.

Stupidest thing they have done in some time was to rename the Miata the MX-5 (even though everyone but the magazines still calls it the Miata).

• Stupidest thing they have done in some time was to rename the Miata the MX-5 (even though everyone but the magazines still calls it the Miata).

When the car was introduced in 1990, it was originally called the MX-5 Miata. It was the critics that just called it the Miata in the first place, and that's how it came to be. If effect, it's ALWAYS been called the MX-5, they just dropped the "Miata".
    I believe this is a misuse of the phrase "in effect". In EFFECT it has always been called the Miata, by the press and by owners (just check the web for clubs, and decide for yourself). TECHNICALLY, it has always been called the MX-5, I know.

Mazda claims slashed sales to rental fleets asnd a lack of inventory of the Mazda 3 led to their sales decline for the month of October. Mazda is however happy with sales of their CX-7 so far. I think the CX-7 sold around 4.1K-4.2K units last month. Mazda sales still up by 3% this year from 221K last year to 228K units this year.

One more thing after 4 years of being on the market the 3 is still in demand. Thats a heck of a feat! I hope the next generation Mazda 6 sells like the 3 does now.
  • rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,989
    Investigation follows complaints of engine fires in 2001-03 Escape, Tribute model years.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061104/AUTO01/611040350/1148-

Rocky
    Will there be a next generation RX-8 sold in the US for the 09 model year since the current RX8 hasn;t sold well at all.? The current RX-8 dates back to being new for the 04 model year so it would be up for redesign for the 09 model year.

If the next RX-8 does come out in the US will it have the 4dr design that it has now or will it switch to a 2dr design like the Nissan 350Z? The current RX-8 just hasn't sold well with its current 4dr design.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "The current RX-8 just hasn't sold well with its current 4dr design."

Well, you seem to be insinuating that the reason the RX-8 hasn't sold well is BECAUSE of the 4dr design. Do you know that this is the case?

I mean, I could just as well state "the current RX-8 just hasn't sold well without offering passion purple as a color choice". But that would be silly. :P

Personally, I think the reason the RX-8 hasn't sold well is due to a perceived lack of punch from the Renesis motor coupled with some reports of iffy reliability (motor flooding issues mostly) and poor fuel economy for the amount of performance delivered. Plus (obviously) the general publics lack of understanding about rotaries in general.

I don't think the 4dr design has much at all to do with the lack of sales. Personally I've considered an RX-8 for my next purchase ONLY because of the fact that it has a usuable rear seat with decent access.

If the RX-8 comes back, it will have 4 doors. Otherwise, it would be the new RX-7..... ;)
    I have to echo your doubts there. I think the reason the RX-8 hasn't sold well is a little bit because it is a Mazda (limited exposure/public awareness) but mostly because the two problems they said they had FINALLY kicked when they introduced the new one - gas guzzling and crazy oil consumption - in fact continued unabated. I love rotaries, but they can be hard engines to live with. And as you say, they are prone to flooding on short start/stop cycles, and that problem still hasn't gone away either.

In fact, I would say the four doors and proper back seat are all that stopped more sales from going to the 350Z instead. Not to mention the nice styling! ;-)

I would guess they will call the latest rotary experiment a sales failure, and there won't be a next-gen RX-8. Too bad, the market continues its relentless march to sameness throughout the spectrum of carmakers.

• I am a big fan of Mazda. They are innovators in auto design. As a car company it is not afraid to take risks. I don't think that in America, however this translates into success. They've had car designs that have turned the auto industry on its ear, but continue to struggle.

The Miata was not just a cute little roadster. It was an automotive revolution that can still be felt today. In the eighties, cars were boxy, boring, purely functional. Sports cars were heavy and over feature laden. Toyota Corrollas, Honda Accords, ruled the day. America was still making small cars that looked and felt like big cars. The idea of form for form's sake was gone in the auto industry. Like the modern movement in Art and Architecture, form followed function.

And then along comes the Miata. This car was a throwback. A British Roadster remade. The was the first post-modern car. It evoked memories of scarves, driving gloves, and blonde hair blowing in the wind, without the finnicky carburators of your Triumph TR6. It inspired by memory associated with form. The car industry has not been the same since. After the miata came the PT Cruiser, the Chrysler 300, the plymouth prowler... all of the retro cars. The auto industry realized that people could be excited by cars. There would be no New Beetle, or Chrysler 300 without the Mazda Miata.

This company hits home runs in my book consistently with its innovative and somewhat controversial cars. From the Mazda6 that rides just a little too rough for a family sedan, but is a hoot to drive. To the crazy four door sports car with the Rotary Engine. The Mazda3 is the best small car on the market.

I hope this company survives and keeps doing what it does.
  • bruce6bruce6 Posts: 29
    There is no doubt that Mazda is on a roll. I was a happy Mazda owner in the '80s, then drifted away as Mazda's cars got blander and less distinctive. In January '06 I bought a Mazda3 5-door and absolutely love it. It has the verve and personality that made my '80s Mazdas a kick in the pants, but with the refinement that 2 decades of improved engineering have brought us. The critics almost all rate the 3 as the best small car on the market, and the CX7 and CX9 are the sharpest looking crossovers on the planet. It's good to have the "old" Mazda back again.
  • mazda's new lineup is more than good, what mazda needs to work on now, is its reliablity, resale value, customer support, and last but not least, differntiating and distancing itself from Ford motor company.
    Mazda has sold 248K units in 2006 compared to 239K units last year. I think with the introduction of the CX-7 it has bolstered Mazda sales alot though. I think the CX-7 has 18K-19K units year to date in the US since its introduction to the Mazda line-up in June.
    "mazda's new lineup is more than good, what mazda needs to work on now, is its reliablity, resale value, customer support, and last but not least, differntiating and distancing itself from Ford motor company."

Lets take each issue at hand:

reliability: its good with the exception of the RX-8. I think the RX-8 and the outgoing MPV are the only Mazda's that are bad(below average) in reliability by Consumer Reports.

resale value: thats always been the problem with Mazda's they don;t hold their value well as opposed to Honda, Toyota, and Nissan vehicles. Mazda has to tried to slash their use of rebates in the US in the past few months. The Mazda 3 has pretty good resale value from what I hear though.

As for distancing themselves from Ford Mazda will be always be associated in a way to some dismay to Mazda fans. At least Mazda has distanced from being a Honda or Toyota wanna-be in the past few years.

In my opinion Mazda has alot to look foward too with the release of the 08 6 and CX-5 Tribute next year. The last Tribute came out when was a half enthusiast brand(99-03 Protege, Miata) and half bread and butter(98-02 626) and the Millenia. I hope Mazda can gain some kind of buyer reentention with some 6 and 3 buyers buying an 08 CX-5 Tribute. Mazda's buyer rentention rate is the lowest(barring Isuzu)of any major brand thats sold in the US in an 2006 JD power survey where only 26.8 percent of people traded in a Mazda for another Mazda. The industry average for buyer reneention is 47.5 percent I think. The only plus I can think of is Mazda buyer renention on a percentage basis has raised 4.7 percentage points in 2006(26.8.) from a 22.2 percentage buyer reenention rate in 2004.