Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda - Does it have a good future in US?

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    proably not, but autoweek came yesterday, and they had a review of the Detroit auto show. One featured car (I think they voted it best concept) was a small Ford SUV, supposedly a thinly disguised new Escape. Very nice looking piece. Probably no Mazda version, given how Mazda is going it's own way, and they already have the CX-7.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    It'll probably be called a CX-5.

Click me!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Mazda Motor Corp. said it will suspend production at its plants, in Hiroshima and Hofu, at least through Wednesday and during that period will be evaluating its ability to produce and ship vehicles after March 16. “We are expecting shortages of certain parts, such as steel plates and brake parts, to name a few,” Mazda spokesman Kotaro Minagawa told the trade journal Automotive News. The company’s shutdown will affect production of every model it sells in the U.S. except the Michigan-built Mazda6."

Quake Aftermath Severe, Deep Auto Sector Impact (AutoObserver)
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Given that my wife and I just bought our first Mazda together (my second .. I'll explain in a minute), I'm very much in favor of Mazda succeeding here in the US. We traded in a Saturn for the Mazda -- hate, hate, hate being an owner of an "orphan" brand, even though I still have one Saturn in the family.

My first Mazda was a '91 Protege that my first wife and I bought. Really loved that car - it had that miniature MB E-class look to it. In fact, we liked it so much we almost bought a second Protege - stick instead of the automatic we had. But, being the fool, I thought that owning two of the same make and model was dumb, so I got a '91 Nissan Sentra SE instead. Dumb, dumb, dumb decision. The auto Protege was totaled in an accident not 2 years after we got it, and the wife wanted a Honda Accord instead. We ended up splitting not long after that, and I moved to Colorado with the Sentra.

Our current Mazda is a '10 CX-7 Grand Touring, loaded with all the bells and whistles ... Bluetooth, rear backup camera, nav, blind spot warning, memory seats, keyless start. Very peppy, that 2.3L turbo. Wife thinks it has more get up an go than her previous DD - '08 Saturn VUE XR with the 3.6L V6. I think that's because the Mazda weighs 550 pounds less than the Saturn, which gives it a better power to weight ratio.

Yeah, it takes premium fuel, but we're getting maybe 1-2 MPG better with the Mazda. We've got a 1500 mile road trip planned for May, so I'll be curious what kind of mileage we get on the open road (EPA says 23 - we'd seen as much as 24.5 from the Saturn).

Anyway, I know that Mazda is a bit player on the automotive stage, and Ford's decision to separate ties with them, developmentally, is a bit of a blow to future product planning, but I'm optimistic that Mazda can remain a success with their 'budget BMW' product placement. The 2 is, IMO, more sporty than the Fiesta, and the 3 stacks up well to the new '12 Focus (even though C&D named the Focus a winner in a recent comparo test).

In fact, all up and down the line, Mazda makes vehicles with a more sporty flavor than the bland product that comes from Chevrolet, Honda and Nissan. Hyundai may be a different story - the Sonata comes in Vanilla (naturally aspirated), Green (hybrid) and red-hot (turbo) flavors, but I don't think the driving experience quite matches up to Mazda.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    is a nice little car, but it is selling so poorly that unless it starts to get some major attention, I can't imagine how the North American dealers will be able to make the case to continue selling it at the end of the product cycle in two years.

Mazda's future health will depend on the sales success of the Tribute replacement (will it really be called the CX-5?) and the Mazda 6. The Mazda3 cannot continue to be 60% of all sales, or however much of the majority of sales it is. It is built in Japan. It is one model, with a relatively low profit margin for Mazda, I imagine, and very dependent on the yen-dollar exchange rate.

Since the North American plant is at such low volumes, they should transplant 3 production to the States. Stabilize the profits from that model, and make it less subject to the vagaries of earthquakes and energy prices.

I am gunning for Mazda - I think as Suzuki and perhaps Mitsubishi fall out of the U.S. market, Mazda's prospects will improve even further. How can we let the company that produces the Miata be driven out of North America??

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Yeah, it takes premium fuel, but we're getting maybe 1-2 MPG better with the Mazda. We've got a 1500 mile road trip planned for May, so I'll be curious what kind of mileage we get on the open road (EPA says 23 - we'd seen as much as 24.5 from the Saturn).

I expect you will do better than 23 on the road; my 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 is EPA rated at 20 City/28 Highway and I get over 29 on the highway if I keep it under 70 and decline any invitations to the Stop Light Grand Prix... :P

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    I expect you will do better than 23 on the road; my 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 is EPA rated at 20 City/28 Highway and I get over 29 on the highway if I keep it under 70 and decline any invitations to the Stop Light Grand Prix...

I'm hoping we'll see 24-25 MPG .. the driving is at altitude (CO to NM to AZ) and most of the interstate is signed at 75. We might do 80, just for a bit of a thrill. I'll reset the trip computer to get a read on the trip MPG.

I've been thinking about an MS3 as my fun car - whenever I get to the point where I can buy one. Keep the Saturn as the winter car and keep the 3 in the garage during the winter months.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I've been thinking about an MS3 as my fun car

Just buy a 2008 or newer; my 2007 had several teething issues. That said, it's not a bad pocket rocket.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    edited May 2011
  • cannon3cannon3 Member Posts: 296
    Mazda will struggle. Without Ford for distribution/logistical purposes Mazda will struggle. As much as some think Ford was bad for Mazda read and search the internet, Ford was not bad for Mazda. Ford has parted ways with Mazda and both will continue to break away in the coming years. The Tribute will fade away, such as the 6 has. Mazda will have to find niche cars/suvs people want. Its markets share will continue to shrink. Not because Mazda builds bad vehicle, because of market/consumer awareness of its products. Will Mazda leave the U.S. market? doubt it. Mazda will become a smaller car company offering vehicles others don't for a smaller market. Just because Mazda doesn't sell 200,000 CX7's or 3's doesn't mean its any less of a vehicle than a CRV/Escape or focus/civic/corrolla.
    As much as some think Ford was bad for Mazda read and search the internet, Ford was not bad for Mazda.

I agree with you to a point. Unfortunately Ford played a big role in the launch of one of the most recalled vehicles in history, (even more so than the Chevy Citation I believe), the Escape, Also, rebadged as the Mazda Tribute. Stupid stuff like wheels falling off (Not steering wheels like the Chevy Snuze), leaking fuel lines, I think there was one for seats becoming detached, engine fires. etc... plagued the entire line for the first year anyway. Thankfully the capabilities, longterm reliability (after all the fixes) and the good, if not inoffensive looks made up for the first year glitches.

Then there was the B-series trucks which, while under Ford control were nothing more than Ford Rangers in America, while the rest of the world got actual Mazda designed trucks. "Power trip" maybe?

Lastly, Ford has more to thank with Mazda than the other way around when we review the successful Fusion triplets which are underpinned by a Mazda designed, Mazda 6/Atenza platform and a Mazda designed 4-cylinder as the base engine. Oh, and the platform also made its way under other Ford models like the Edge and MKX.

I, personally believe the two were a good match for each other. I also believe both of them brought much to the table over the years they were together, so I'm not going to agree with the assumption that Mazda is lost or is going to fall without Ford holding their hand for them down the road...
    "Media accounts from Japan on Friday said Mazda Motor Corp. intends to conclude its joint-venture manufacturing operations with Ford Motor Co. at their assembly plant in Flat Rock, MI. Mazda still would not confirm the reports of long-rumored pullout at the plant, however, although the company said earlier this year it would announce by the middle of 2011 whether it would continue building the Mazda6 midsize sedan at Flat Rock, which also assembles the Mustang musclecar for Ford."

Mazda May Force Ford's Hand At Michigan Assembly Plant (AutoObserver)
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Skyactiv, which is a whole range of engine, transmission, and even construction technologies, is Mazda's big hope at this point.

http://www.mazda.com/mazdaspirit/skyactiv/

Looks like they are cashing out of the money losing flat rock plant, and instead will open one in Mexico to keep costs down.

I think that's a shame. I think the route to big success in the USA is to have your own plant--not one shared with someone else or in Mexico. I know it's only part of the puzzle, but look what built in America has done for Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and now Hyundai. They never would have gotten so big here without the built in USA label...

Still, Mazda might come back if these Skyactiv techs pay off as expected...
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    I'm worried about them...

US plant?

Partner with deep pockets (BMW???)?

Will Skyactiv alone save them?
    Fairly radical design change for this car, which is due out in about a year as a 2013 model. Looks quite sleek and racy. My 9 year old daughter likes it, and she's someone whose taste in cars I'm beginning to trust.

http://www.mazda.com/mazdaspirit/design/#/gallery/shinari/

This has video of the Shinari concept vehicle driving on the streets of Japan. We can assume the production model will be slightly taller for more headroom and have slightly smaller wheels, but otherwise it looks like this is what they are going to build for this car. It will stand out, and even if Mazda's styling has been controversial with its demonic-grin Mazda3, you have to admit it's been a sales success for them.

The Shanari/Mazda6 will incorporate all of Mazda's Skyactiv technologies for engine, body, chassis, transmissions, etc. Weight should go down by c. 10% over the current Mazda6. And gas mileage should go up c. 20%. And so it should have class leading mpg of c.25 city and c.36 highway.

Production will be moved from Flat Rock to Japan. Supposedly this is more efficient for them, but I'm not sure that letting go of the made in USA label is a wise choice. I think they should do what other Asian makers have done and build their own stand-alone factory somewhere in the South. The subsidies for these factories are huge, as we all know.

But financially it's not clear Mazda can swing that. They lost money last year and their financial situation is not the strongest.
    edited July 2011
    a very simple 40 second amateur video of the actual prototype inside and out in Milan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmdVK8u48dY

An elaborate 4 minute Mazda video of the car in motion driving the streets of Japan and such:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLZJjXyaTvY

My 9 year old daughter says: "It looks like a MAD kitty--but in a *good* way! I *like* this car! Mazda designs are sleek--and they're the most interesting." She should be a car critic maybe...

Here's another 30 second video with some stills:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIWfeGbdQxE&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_5- - 09955

"I *like* those seats!"
    edited July 2011
    3 minute bio of chief styling designer for Mazda Kiuo Maeda:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHnE1QF2nk4&feature=relmfu

Promo video of Mazda. Has nice shots of old rotary engines at the 2 minute mark. Says they started on Skyactiv around 2007. Their goal is eventually a 30% reduction in the weight of their cars. The video is a way too silly and touchy feely imho, but it does have some good info in it. Mazda's small size may, ironically, make it more nimble in terms of taking on engineering challenges. This one is called Sky is the Limit. It has a lot of talking head stuff with Kiyoshi Fujiwara, chief enginner at Mazda in charge of product planning. He's had a things for Mazdas since the Cosmo rotary sports car made in the late 60s when he was as little kid (it was kind of the Mazda Corvette, prelude to the original RX-7):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnloQfih85k&feature=relmfu

This one is called Romance in Engineering. Has some nice shots of Hiroshima, where my Mazda5 was made. It's focused on chief Mazda chassis engineer Seita Kanai. Talks about how the city rose from the ashes, and how that was inspiring. Weird past, present, future thing going on with a little kid building rockets and stuff, which is corny, but still there's good information here. Kanai was inspired by German cars that could cruise at 200kph (125mpg), compared to c. 170 kph for Japanese cars. He wanted to design a chassis that could do 200kph too. In 2006 they started setting ambitious goals for where they wanted to be by 2015.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYwTcBw3Bk0&feature=relmfu
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I think they should do what other Asian makers have done and build their own stand-alone factory somewhere in the South.

IMHO, easier said than done. First, I don't think Mazda could justify the investment in a new plant vis a vis their NA sales. Second, it's not easy to close or leave a unionized plant and reopen in a non-union friendly area. I believe they would suffer consumer backlash doing something like that. IMHO, they should have built in the south like the other transplants originally but even back then they couldn't justify the investment of a stand alone facility.
    edited July 2011
    called The Ultimate Engine, this new video profiles the their chief ICE engineer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itNB97Z77XE&feature=relmfu

The new high compression skyactiv engines are obviously going to be important for Mazda.

Again, these are very corny, I know, but this is still some good info here. This video actually has more technical stuff about skyactiv engines with less cornball junk:

http://www.youtube.com/user/zoomzoom#p/c/F18649AEFFFFD1B1/2/B5FTHe6mpHE

quick overview of all the different skyactiv techs

http://www.youtube.com/user/zoomzoom#p/c/F18649AEFFFFD1B1/0/oMuCERw4eZk
    edited July 2011
    "... IMHO, they should have built in the south like the other transplants originally but even back then they couldn't justify the investment of a stand alone facility."

I sort of agree with you robr2. Looking back on it with 20/20 hindsight over the last 26 years this was a crucial failure of vision by Mazda that has cost them very dearly. My family bought a Mazda B2000 truck back in 1985. Mazdas were more common on the road then than they are today I'm pretty sure. I think total sales for Mazda back in 1985, counting cars and trucks, may have been as much as 200,000. About 100k of that was in that B2000 truck, I think. And when the all-new 1986 B2000 came out I really think it was the best of all of the Japanese small trucks at the time, and I think the auto mags said so too. Ours was very well built and reliable. And back then there was a 25% tariff on imported trucks. If they'd built a small factory somewhere in the South or Midwest, say about the size of Honda's very first in Ohio, which had a capacity for 150,000 when it first started, I think they could have well supported it mostly with just that great B2000 truck. And if they'd advertised the heck out of the made in usa label, like Honda and Toyota did, I think they might have been a strong 4th--right behind Nissan--in Japanese US sales today. I know it's all just guessing.

But Mazda seems like a company with brilliant flashes that makes solid cars, but just keeps missing out on the big time. And I worry that today, in the US anyway, not having a made in USA label might even be a kiss of death. I hope not! But just having great cars isn't enough to be a big player here.

Look at these sad stats for Mazda sales from 1995 to 2005. 283k sold in 1995 and 258k sold ten years later. I don't know what the stats are for 2010, but probably similar.

Mazda U.S. Sales

from an article from Forbes from about 5 years ago:

http://www.forbes.com/2006/05/01/backseat-driver-mazda-cx_jf_0502flint.html

Backseat Driver
    Zoom Zoom
    Jerry Flint, 05.02.06, 6:00 AM ET

New York -

Car writers love Mazda cars. Auto scribes praise Mazdas for their performance, ride, handling, looks and value. Only one problem: There has been no growth in Mazda sales for over a decade....
    going back to World War II:

http://www.mazda.com/90th/#/gallery
    Mazda Reports Quake And Strong Yen Widened Loss
    By AutoObserver Staff July 29, 2011

Mazda reported a $329 million loss (25.5 billion yen) in the first quarter of its 2012 fiscal year ending June 30. The Japanese automaker reported that the March 11 earthquake and continued currency declines against the Japanese yen helped contribute to the loss. Currency rates alone contributed $40 million (3.1 billion yen) to the loss. Mazda lost a total of $27 million (2.1 billion yen) in the same period last year. Sales fell 29 percent in the quarter to $5.26 billion (408 billion yen), with global sales down 11 percent, and Japanese domestic sales off 32 percent. Mazda stated its recovery from the quake is progressing, with domestic plant utilization at 72 percent, with a return to full production capability by the first quarter of 2012.
    They still haven't turned it around.

Mazda Posts $51-Million Loss In Second Half (AutoObserver)
    is their best bet to turn it around. Hope it happens!
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    Mazda is ahead of Honda and Toyota in the MPG race: they're putting out 40 MPG cars just like the Koreans and us Americans. The rest of Japan seems to be having a little trouble hitting that mark.

Beyond that, though, Mazda has no interest in Toyota's market, they want the enthusiast driver that would have maybe bought an Impreza before they dumbed it down, and would now shop Ford, Mistubishi, and Kia (as the slightly more sporty of the Koreans).
    So what exactly is Skyactiv? Mazda will tell you that it’s an all-encompassing approach to eking out efficiencies in the engines, transmissions, and chassis. The centerpiece is the 2.0-liter Skyactiv-G (gas) engine and the transmissions that pair to it. The engine uses very high compression (12:1), smaller bore pistons designed to combat heat loss, and high fuel-injection pressure (2900 psi) sprayed directly into the combustion chamber to help achieve a more efficient combustion process. Engineers also looked at mechanical losses within the engine and made incredible improvements, including 74 percent less drag from the oil pump; 25 percent less drag from the pistons, connecting rods, and crankshaft; and 54 percent less valvetrain friction. The Skyactiv 2.0-liter also uses the Miller Cycle, which leaves the intake valve open longer during light-load cruising, providing an efficiency boost of 13 percent. Mazda says this new engine has similar efficiency to that of their current 2.2-liter diesel engine. Impressive. Plus, the engine is 10 percent lighter than the base 2.0-liter.

Paired with the Skyactiv 2.0-liter is either a six-speed manual or a six-speed automatic—both of which have been redesigned for this new engine.

All 2012 Mazda3s get freshened with new sheet metal as well as an improved chassis. Weight has been reduced, thanks to new bonding methods and more high-strength steel, which also made the car more rigid. Mazda redesigned the rear suspension mounts, trailing arm position, and steering components as well. The goal? A tighter connection with the driver. As an added benefit, Mazda says the new car produces measurably less road noise than its predecessor too......

7 of 7
    The Bottom Line: The Mazda3 lineup stretches from just $15,995 for a base car with the old 2.0-liter engine on up to $24,495 for a well-optioned 2.5-liter GT model. The Skyactiv 2.0-liter models start at just over $20,000—right in the middle. When you consider the efficiency, the driving enjoyment, and level of equipment available, a Skyactiv Mazda3 moves to the top of our compact-car shopping list.

Read more: 2012 Mazda3 2.0-liter Skyactiv Test Drive - News Cars 2012 - Popular Mechanics

Read more: 2012 Mazda3 2.0-liter Skyactiv Test Drive - News Cars 2012 - Popular Mechanics
    I'm waiting for GM or someone to sue them saying it doesn't count as a car because it uses the Miller cycle or something. :)
    I wonder how many patents Mazda has on this Skyactiv tech. I mean, can other car makers copy or do similar stuff, or is there really some kind of competitive advantage here. It is interesting that Mazda with the Skyactiv gets better mpg than a newly redesigned 2012 Civic with a smaller engine. I guess for now that's something of an advantage. And given that all except the Si Civics have squishy suspensions and unimpressive steering, that seems an advantage too.

But I do feel that Honda's US factories are a big advantage. There's a huge Honda plant just a hundred or so miles from me in Indiana turning out Civics....

Having cars come from Japan and Mexico just isn't quite the same imho. It seems that the huge successes in the last 4 years of Kia and Hyundai also shows how good publicity from a successful US plant can boost sales in a big way.

If only Mazda had built their own stand alone plant back in the early 80s I think they'd be in a different place today in this market....
    Honda has gotten its rating for its new CRV, which is the competing vehicle for the new Mazda CX-5, which will be introduced in about 6 months as a 2013 model.

The new 2012 Honda CRV gets these stats for mpg:
    2WD 2012 CR-V 23 MPG City & 31 MPG Highway
    4WD 2012 CR-V 22 MPG City & 30 MPG Highway

My guess is that the 2013 Mazda CX-5 is going to look something like this:
    2WD 25 city and 35 hwy
    4WD 23 city and 33 hway

I think that will be good for some sales for Mazda....
    Well, the Civic is already losing the MPG race to SkyActiv. The Civic gets 28/39 out of a 140 HP engine. Mazda is getting 28/40 out of a 155 HP engine. That plus what they've done to redesign it (and I'm thinking they cut a lot of weight to get it up to 28/39) really shows that they've abandoned the enthusiast and are trying to be GM. Except Toyota and GM are also trying to be GM.

Luckily Mazda is on record as having no interest in being GM. :shades:
    needs a corporate partner. As fantastically as Subaru is doing lately, it still would have a tough path ahead if it hadn't partnered with Toyota.

Mitsu and Suzuki will fall out of the U.S. in the next few years and that will leave Mazda the most vulnerable Japanese niche player. It needs to have a partner by then, but one that won't meddle with the product.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

edited April 2012
    link title

Stunning design. Bring back the V6 manual please! AWD and a 6 speed manual would be heavenly.
    edited April 2012
    "The diversity of Mazda's assets illustrates why scrutiny may intensify on President Takashi Yamanouchi's plans to revive a company that's forecasting its biggest annual loss in 11 years. Mazda, Japan's most export-reliant carmaker, has struggled under Yamanouchi after he defied the appreciating yen by keeping production in Japan and as Mazda's 30-year partnership with Ford Motor Co. crumbled."

Unprofitable Mazda may need to sell some assets (Detroit News)

"Mazda owns 34 percent of the Carp baseball team — a three-time winner of the Japan Series.

"Given the situation, Mazda may need to consider selling the Carp and weather the backlash from the team's fanatical fans," Hirano said."
    I hate to say it but Mazda may be reaping the consequences of some very poor business decisions, and I hope their powertrains are not another casualty of the situation.
    Mazda is in deep trouble. While almost everyone else is making huge profits in the US, they are losing money here and elsewhere. Losses in the first quarter alone were about $500 million dollars. Now they are buying out their US employees. I wonder if they can survive....? I own a Mazda and like it, but it feels like it might become an orphan car.

I think Mazda's Skyactiv tech is very good, but perhaps it was too little too late. If they had built their own US factory at some point somewhere in the South, perhaps the story would be different today...

http://wot.motortrend.com/more-than-100-u-s-employees-take-buyout-offer-from-maz- da-202229.html
    edited May 2012
    Besides the baseball team, Mazda has other assets (lots of real estate) they can sell until they can build the factory in Mexico and get the JV going with Sollers in Russia. And they have a new platform and redesigned models coming out in '14. Going to be painful for a while though. (The Truth About Cars)

They've lost the Ford synergy that must have helped them in NA. Rumors are floating that Fiat is interested in buying Mazda, but I think it all boils down to the yen killing their profits.
    I'm not sure they can liquidate enough assets to tide them over. Interesting that Fiat might want to buy them, wondering how that would work out though. SkyActiv is great tech though, and they might get something out of licensing it and/or selling engines and transmissions.
    I think working with Fiat could work. They could share their Skyactiv tech with them and get in exchange some deep pockets. Seems like if they're losing more than 100 million a month that their assets will be burned up fast without some help.

I do think that big time success in the US demands a US factory. Building Mazda3s in Mexico is not going to do it imho. Look what happened with Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai, Kia, VW and everyone else who built their own factory here. That alone wasn't all that was needed for success, but I think that was part of it...
    The Renault - Nissan thing seems to be doing okay. Joining with Mazda would give Fiat an entrée into Asia.
    Except that Nissans basically became European cars. I'd hate to see Mazdas turn into Fiats.

Maybe Hyundai could buy Mazda...they could help zoom up the Veloster and Elantra. Probably help Hyundai's WRC aspirations also.
    I'd hate to see Mazdas turn into Fiats.

Sorry, but it's begun.

"Fiat SpA — the parent company of Chrysler Group LLC — today announced a new alliance with Mazda Motor Corp.

The two companies signed a non-binding memorandum of understanding to jointly develop and manufacture two new rear-wheel-drive roadsters based on Mazda's next-generation MX-5 platform: a new Miata and an as yet unnamed Alfa Romeo. The cars will be produced at Mazda's factory in Hiroshima beginning in 2015."

Fiat announces alliance with Mazda (Detroit News)
    Yeah I just saw it about 10 minutes ago. Felt like I'd been run through.
    edited May 2012
    On the bright side, initially at least, Fiats will turn into Mazdas. An Alfa that runs like a Miata wouldn't be a bad thing.
    Except that Fiat is about 10 times bigger than Mazda, which means eventually it'll be the other way around. One of the reasons Mazda didn't mind Ford pulling out was because they were turning into Ford Japan, building restyled Focuses and Fusions, and not-restyled Tributes, while basically being Ford's 4-cyl engine division.
    edited May 2012
    Looking at the bottom line, I think Mazda was hurt pretty badly by Ford pulling out.

Salient quote in that story:

"Mazda has lost money for four straight years."

Better that a little Fiat DNA wind up in their cars than going the Saab route?
    An Alfa that runs like a Miata wouldn't be a bad thing.

Agree 100%! Alfa does have a really good styling dept.

edited May 2012
    A little Fiat DNA is fine. But when they start selling re-badged Fiats, Chryslers, or god help us Jeeps, I'm going to have a problem. :sick:
    "Rather than investing in plug-in or hybrid technologies - the way pretty much all its rivals have been doing - Mazda has channelled its funds into conventional engine and transmission research, as well as into a string of measures to reduce the weight of its cars' architecture."

Mazda bets on internal combustion engine (BBC)
    Yes of course, because it's a lot more expensive to develop plug-in and hybrid technologies than to make your cars a little lighter and add direct injection....

Makes me wonder why all the car companies didn't make the effort to lighten their cars years ago, instead of whining that all the required safety gear these days made it INEVITABLE that even small cars weigh a ton and a half or more now. How funny that now its suddenly perfectly plausible to reduce weight by hundreds of pounds while maintaining price constraints and keeping all that onerous safety gear in there, LOL!