Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda - Does it have a good future in US?

1343536373840»

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I wonder if the crash test video of the little Smart car a few years back convinced people that light cars can be relatively safe (still depends on what you hit I guess).
  • Options
    "The last Mazda using the rotary, which won fans with its ability to generate more power than traditional power plants of the same size, will roll off the assembly line this month at the company's Hiroshima factory and headquarters.

The only unprofitable Japanese automaker said it believes demand for more environmentally friendly cars will continue to grow and help it post its first profit in five years."

Mazda's famed rotary engines roll to end of road this month (Detroit News)
  • Options
    "The last Mazda is expected to roll off the assembly line in Flat Rock today as the Japanese automaker hands the keys to the plant back to its one-time parent, Ford Motor Co.

Known as AutoAlliance International, the plant has been run as a joint venture between Ford and Mazda since 1992, producing the Mazda6 sedan and the Ford Mustang muscle car.

Workers will mark the end of Mazda production with a small ceremony inside the plant today, but neither automaker is keen to draw attention to the event."

Mazda bows out in Flat Rock (Detroit News)
  • Options
    bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    Well, it's not like they own the place, Ford owns it.

Maybe Mazda can buy one of those GM plants that they'll need to auction off. :shades:
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    That's how Mazda initially wound up in Flat Rock - bought the factory and refurbed it before Ford came along and bought them out. With the currency savings, Mazda could afford to build a new US factory - the yen is going to kill them at home.
  • Options
    They've already got that project in Mexico going on, I doubt they have the resources to get another North American plant started. Though I'd love to see something on this side of the pond churning out the Mazda3 and the CX-5.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Is the Mazda 3 different from the Mazda3? Pardon me, the MAZDA3. I hate these naming schemes - does anyone really call their Miata an MX-5?

The interesting sentence in my link said that Mullaly thought that the Ford engineers were relying too much on Mazda. I always liked that alliance but guess a 30 year run was pretty good.
  • Options
    The official model name is MAZDA3, so technically it's a Mazda MAZDA3. :shades:

That's generally what people call it too, so it makes sense. Anyway, Mually was right, Mazda was pretty much designing all of Ford's small cars and engines. The 2L in the Focus is a massaged MZR.
  • Options
    "Under the agreement announced Friday, Mazda will annually produce 50,000 subcompacts, based on the Mazda2 but under the Toyota brand by mid-2015. Toyota Motor Corp. will invest in equipment and other costs for the production increase, both sides said."

Mazda to produce Toyota-brand vehicles in Mexico (Detroit News)
  • Options
    I wonder if one of the conditions of the deal was an anti-compete clause? That would explain Mazda removing the Mazda2 from the US lineup.

So now we'll get the ToyotaSpeed2? So long as Toyota isn't designing Mazda's cars, I really don't like Toyotas.
  • Options
    anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Looks like there's a "Comeback kid" in the works, Mazda was only 600 or so cars away from Chrysler in August. Surely the sexy new 6 has something to do with this...

My guess is they'll pass Chrysler once the new 3 hits the ground...
  • Options
    guido65guido65 Member Posts: 25
    Only time will tell. Lack of dealerships and infrastructure here in the U. S. is what will hurt Mazda. Since Ford sold its share in Mazda this hurt Mazda's ability for sales infrastructure here in the states. In my city we are down to 3 dealers from 7. Their line-up is good, but needs to be better to compete. As the Koreans roar into the U. S. market their products will also knock Mazda sales down. My personal opinion. No, Mazda will not survive in the long run here in the U. S. With the Chinese, Koreans, and now even the Italians and Germans looking for a market share here in the U. S. I believe Mazda's days are numbered.
  • Options
    I respectfully disagree. Sure, Mazda has been on the edge with the loss of Ford backing, but sales have been steadily rising with the introduction of the Skyactive engines, especially since catering to the diesel fans out there. Heck, sales are up huge for August, 6000 units more than last year. What they heve going for them is they also are perceived as the "Sporty" Japanese brand akin to vintage Hondas and will attract those who want a little more flavor than the everyday Toyota. Sure, they will never have Honda/Toyota/Nissan marketshare but I could have said the same about Subaru a few years ago when they were also teetering on their own edge after GM nearly destroyed them...

Right now, the big problem for them is the cost of manufacturing since they now are built exclusively in Japan for US consumption... And supposedly they are going to start building them in Mexico, (which may or may not be a good thing IMO) which will help there. They also are supposed to be supplying Toyota with a platform (Mazda 2) for the next generation Yaris so they have some "outside work" to bring in some profit as well.

At worst, they could sell some stake to somebody like Toyota, just as Subaru has done and become an arm for TMC.
  • Options
    That's what I liked about them before - they were an "arm" of Ford. I hope the brand is embedded enough so that they don't pull a Suzuki. Last I checked they were a relatively "small" car company selling "average" cars (not high profit luxo barges that is). That's a big market to try to make an impression here in the States.
  • Options
    "Mazda engineers are lobbying for revival of rear-wheel-drive models, saying that the strategy would help the Japanese automaker to better differentiate itself against its rivals, Edmunds has learned.

However, Mazda's top management is said to be resistant to the idea because of the cost of designing fresh architectures for its mainstream models."

Mazda Engineers Push for a Return to Rear-Wheel Drive
  • Options
    Excellent news.
  • Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    I'm pretty sure the V6 in my 04 Mazda 6 wagon is a Ford engine. It's an old built in Michigan Mazda. Even has a UAW sticker on the rear passenger's window.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.