Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda - Does it have a good future in US?

Comments

• magnetophonemagnetophone Posts: 605
    It's a shame the 6 doesn't sell well here. It is a superior car to its competition in most ways.
  • wonderwallwonderwall Posts: 126
    My mother just bought a 6. It's a very nice car. My wife and I are both very jealous. She bought a standard 6 with the automatic transmission and 4 cylinder and no real options other than alloy wheels. I was really impressed at how sharp the handling is. I drive a 97 Jetta and have driven BMWs and so on for the heck of it on a couple of occasions when i had the chance. The 6 is very Germanic to me in it's driving style. That's probably one of it's downfalls to many people. It's fun to drive but not nearly as cushy as a comparable Camcord.
  • guestguest Posts: 774
    It sells pretty well in New Jersey than in other places in the US. I have seen like 20 of them so far. The people on this board from other parts of the US have seen about 2-7 6's so far I would say on average.
  • bottgersbottgers Posts: 2,027
    With build quality on par with, or at least nipping at the heels of Honda and Toyota, and style surpassing both, I don't see how Mazda can have anything but a stong future here in the states.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    in regions where Mazda dealers are plenty (read: on the 2 coasts and around major metropolitan areas)

not as well in the 'heartland' (like Iowa or something, lol)
  • grbeckgrbeck Posts: 2,361
    It's a shame that the 6 isn't selling better...I've seen a grand total of one on the roads around Harrisburg.

We have two Mazda dealers in the area. Plus, drivers around here do buy their share of vehicles with foreign nameplates. I don't know what is holding this car back.
    I think the 6 just needs some more exposure to the market. It's still a relatively new model and a lot people don't even know about it yet. Give it 6 more months to a year, and this thing will start selling like hot cakes. I'm still waiting for the MPV we ordered to get here. Can't wait! Zoom zoom!
    need to improve customer service. I feel like Mazda management must step up to the plate and make Mazda's dealer unit across the US good at customer serice. I have heard of alot bad Mazda dealers that have terrible customer service. I feel like since Mazda doesn't have a luxury brand unit like the rest of ther Japanese Counterparts do(Honda has Acura, Toyota has Lexus, and Nissan has Infinti) Mazda could offer Saturn like customer service and win customers that way. The troubled thing is Mazda dealers are aligned with alot of other makes at their dealerships across the US. I have heard some Mazda dealers have closed up shop across the US because they couldn't compete. As we all know Mazda dealers for the past year from what I have read on these boards have really rejected potential sales they could have had on the 6 all because Mazda dealers said they couldn't order 6's with specific option packages. Those were sales lost to mostly the Honda Accord, Acura TSx, and Saab 9-3. Mazda could not afford to lose sales to Honda out of all makes.
  • landru2landru2 Posts: 638
    6?

Real catchy.
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    Mazda6, not just 6.

I prefer to call it MZ6
    My initial reaction was to agree with your post. However, I think Kia and Hyundia are good for the auto market. Someone needs to challange the Japanese auto makers or they won't have a need to continue to improve their vehicles. The big 3 sure aren't going to do it. They seem content just pupming out the same ol' garbage they've been building for decades. In terms of build quality, they don't come close to challanging the Japanese. Kia and Hyundia on the other hand, are challanging the Japanese. While I don't think their vehicles are on the same level build quality wise, I do think they're much closer than the big 3, and close enough to make the Japanese companies sit up and take notice. This forces the Japanese companies to stay one step ahead, which in turn means better vehicles for the consumer. By all means, I hope Hyundia and Kia keep building better and better vehicles, and I will continue to buy the ever improving Hondas, Toyotas, and Mazdas.
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Posts: 518
    I don't think the name can ever fully explain the sales of a car, but I will agree that "Mazda 6" isn't a very good one. They should have stuck with Mazda 626. It has name recognition and, as far as I know, is not known as a bad car among most people (except maybe those who own a 1994 model with the faulty transmission).

-Andrew L
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    just the '6' is too short, and the "Mazda Mazda6" seems kind of redundant...better to have a catchy name people can remember...

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,651
    Even tho there's a sizeable Mazda dealer in town and 626s as well as Proteges are a common sight.

Where are they?

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• landru2landru2 Posts: 638
    because of a recent conversation I had with a relative:

Me: "I really like that new Mazda 6"
    Him: "Oh ya? Do they put that in the Protege now?"

Me: "No, thats the name of the model - Mazda 6"
    Him: "Hmmm, I've always preferred a 4 cylinder for around town myself."
  • bean3422bean3422 Posts: 183
    They keep making the same mistakes over again...they are wishy washy and try to read the American public. They say sporty, then sell 4 cylinder automatics. A consumer clinic says that's then thing to do, and they do it. A consumer clinic says they like the 6 name and they do it.

They just need to get their marketing department a subscribtion to every car magazine out there, have them read their suggestions and implement most of them.

They need to fire anyone who still wants to compete with Toyota or Honda, and stick to the sporty theme with a vengeance.

The mazda 6 has a perfectly acceptable name everywhere else in the world. It is called the Mazda Atenza. I can pronounce it fine, can't you?

It seems from recent news that there has been a small shakeup in the Mazda North America marketing department, so who knows, maybe they will finally get it right over the next few years.

Maybe they can help Ford out.
  • groovypippingroovypippin Posts: 264
    The Mazda6 is only called the Atenza in Japan and Asia. In Europe, Australia etc it is also known as the 6.

Mazda went the alpha-numeric route that several other manufacturers have gone (BMW, Mercedes,Acura, Cadillac etc..) so that people would focus on the MAZDA name.

Mazda has very poor brand recognition. The name "Miata" is broadly known, but a surprising number of people can't say who manufactures it. That's a real problem.

Moving to a numeric model designation forces people to say MAZDA when they name the car. Like it or not, that's the motivation behind dropping names like "Protege" and "626".
    truly disgusted if they rename the Miata the '5' or whatever...

will probably only apply to the mainstream lines of sedans for Mazda.

MX-5/Miata/Roadster will probably keep its name, as it has the honor of the best selling roadster in the world, ever.

and all rotary cars will have the RX designation :-)

maybe they'll rename the MPV the 9, but that's just a wild guess
    Yeah sure Mazda has made some mistakes. At least they don't make boring looking cars(ala Toyota) and sell them to the masses. The Millenia looked nicer than its competitors at the time: Acura TL and Lexus ES 300 cicra(1995-2000.) The Miata is a great looking car. The mid to late 80's RX-7 is a Japanese Classic and so is the 93-97 MX-6. The 6 will be a Japanese Classic as well I think. If VW had the type of reliability Mazda has they would be on the heels of Honda and Toyota. Mazda has as good looking cars as VW just lacks that something that VW has had with its young buyers the last 5 years. I don't think its the name of Mazda's cars has anything to do with Mazda sales now. Mazda had a rep with young buyers in the early 90's than they tried to be mass market like Toyota and totally lost their following with the car buying public. Everybody knows about the Rx-7/RX-8, Pro 5 and Miata. They don't know about the 6 though.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    I was cited last night in my 6 on my way home for something that I am sure to challenge in court, but my citation gave me a chuckle.

MY: 2003
    Make: Mazda
    Model: Unknown

I guess that makes me a UFO.
    is it a rebadged Japanese Mazda Bongo van? :-D
    I think the 6 is nice and all, but I don't think it will ever be a "Japanese classic" in the way of the RX7. Worlds apart. If we hope for "classic" status for the '6', then I would expect the same for the Altima.

Thanks for the correction...I knew it was the 6 in Australia, but I thought it was Atenza in Europe.

Well, that explains a lot...since it is such a big seller in Europe, maybe the name has nothing at all to do with it. Maybe Americans just value size and mushiness more than anything else? It disgusts me.
    as you probably know from my posts elsewhere in this forum, I truly defend the Mazda design. Especially recently...

There has to be some reason they don't sell well here in the US. Maybe it is what my last post said. I don't know.

They sell very reliable, sharp looking, sporty vehicles, that may be a little smaller than the competition. They usually sell for a good price. Is the Ford influence that bad?
  • boaz47boaz47 Posts: 2,750
    should do fine over the long run. True in many cases it seems to be just another brand of Ford but they do have some small identity. Mazda has had some interesting cars and every now and then puts a twinkle in the eye of the enthusiast. I was very fond of the P-5 and even thought about buying one before I got the Focus for my wife, but the Focus was a better deal. Strange because I was trading in a Mazda B-2500 on the Focus and Mazda wasn't willing to deal as much on the P-5. The RX 8 better sell well because the Mazda guys had to plead their heart out to get it produced. If this one flops we won't see another in a long time.
    1.) The Ford tranny in the 1994-1995 Mazda 626 4 cylinder is one of the bigger reasons why Mazda doesn't sell good in the US. Everybody in the US is about the "reliability factor". When a buyer thinks about reliability they think about Honda and Toyota.
    2.)Mazda has been out of the spotlight so long people have forgotten about them.
    3.)Koreans: With the korean auto manufacturer's offering 10 year warranty's it makes Mazda as a 2nd tier brand a tough sell.
    4.)Mazda trying to regain their sporty image with buyers. Mazda lost 2 generations of people in the mid 90's. The loyal Mazda buyer of the late 80's/early 90's defected to Honda and Toyota. Mazda had really no youth cars in 1995 except the MX-6. In 95 the young people were buying Accords and Civic's.

Bottom line: the next 5 years are crucial to Mazda. If they can sell good the next 5 years they'll be ok.
  • groovypippingroovypippin Posts: 264
    1.) "The Ford tranny in the 1994-1995 Mazda 626 4 cylinder is one of the bigger reasons why Mazda doesn't sell good in the US. Everybody in the US is about the "reliability factor". When a buyer thinks about reliability they think about Honda and Toyota."

Other then the people who populate car boards, there are probably about 3 people in North America who are even aware of this issue. This is way, way overblown in my opinion. If a "Ford" trasmission is horrible and such a sales killer, how can they sell 800,000 F-150's a year with Ford transmissions in them.

Reliability is of course a key concern for most import buyers, but this re-occurring claim that the average consumer thinks, 'Oh, I'm not going to go buy a Mazda because of that whole 1994 ford sutomatic transmission in the 626 thing" is ridiculous.

2.)"Mazda has been out of the spotlight so long people have forgotten about them."

Agreed.

3.)"Koreans: With the korean auto manufacturer's offering 10 year warranty's it makes Mazda as a 2nd tier brand a tough sell."

Agreed. Everyone is losing market share to the Koreans as theirs increases.

4.)"Mazda trying to regain their sporty image with buyers. Mazda lost 2 generations of people in the mid 90's. The loyal Mazda buyer of the late 80's/early 90's defected to Honda and Toyota. Mazda had really no youth cars in 1995 except the MX-6. In 95 the young people were buying Accords and Civic's."

Sorta agree. Mazda also had the Precidia and a still relatively inexpensive Miata.

"Bottom line: the next 5 years are crucial to Mazda. If they can sell good the next 5 years they'll be ok."

No offence, but aren't the next five years crucial for every automaker?
    have more momentum than others, so five years is a less crucial timeframe for them.

Mazda isn't one of them.

Not everyone is losing market share to the Koreans - some companies are still gaining market share year after year. However certain companies are losing LARGE CHUNKS of market share. Some do not have large chunks to give.

Honda and Toyota.

Gaining little chunks of market share little by liittle: Nissan, Ford, Kia, and Hyundai.

Losing market share little by little: Mitsu, Mazda, GM, and VW.

Losing huge chunks of market share: Chrysler.