Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX 2007

Comments

• bumbiebumbie Member Posts: 18
    I second your opinion about Audi, especially Audi of N. America, you are right on! I am done with Audi as well, for very similar problems and reasons, I have a 2005 A6. Never will buy Audi again, ever!!
    I do have to say, the 2007 BMW X5 pictures/video are very sexy ;)!
    I am tempted to go German again, even though I have had problems with BMW and Audi (Audi was the absolute worse of the two, I cannot wait to get rid of it).
    I am deciding between the 2007 MDX and X5, I have to see them in person and take a test drive to decide. I hate to say it, but I know the X5 will out perform and the pics look hot compared to the Maroon colored MDX pics I have been seeing all over the internet. MDX lovers please do not jump on me for saying that!!
    If the performance/handling is similar, I do have to say at this point, reliability looks better then any picture!
  • gene00gene00 Member Posts: 115
    My impression is that there is a substantial difference between the Pilot & the MDX. The Pilot feels like a nice economy car, the MDX a luxury vehicle (on par with the wife's BMW). In most of the important ways, they will admirably perform their functions, but if you appreciate and recognize nicer materials, more comfort & functionality, better handling, etc you can spend for it & get it. An Acura is not merely a re-badged Honda. And I don't think Acura has the greatest image, kind of bland compared with the sexier German competition and 3rd place in my mind behind Lexus & Infinity. But I prefer the MDX to the others. Image is down the list a ways.
  • annleeannlee Member Posts: 11
    I am really looking forward to the mdx. It now has some style rather than being so plain. I spoke with my local dealer yesterday and he said they would start getting them on the lot in 4 wks. He was leaving for chicago yesterday to drive one. I just finished nursing school and my treat is a new car...we currently have 3 vehicles and will be getting rid of a 99 landcruiser and a 98 accord.

we were looking at the q7 because it does look nice but opted to stay with the japanese because they have never failed us in any way. they are reliable vehicles. the mdx does get a few more miles to the gallon.

here is a link i found somewhere for mpg on about any vehicle.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/2005findacarf.jsp
  • pinkmelrosepinkmelrose Member Posts: 26
    I also think Q7 is totally sucks! The Audi is define that 'not reliable'. Therefor, I am start to comparing to MDX vs X5. I also considering to buy 2007 Escalade which is most gas slurper in its class, but still catching my soul. The reason is GM announced 10 years warranty on those. :P

The most advantages of attracting of X5, it's named by BMW. it does have adaptive drive, Head up display(It's so cooool), sun blocking shields on every window.
    Minus of these are probably 54-56,000$ based on those options, not reliable as 'acura'.(most german does) :confuse:

The MDX's benefits are 300hp(x5 is 265hp), Real time traffic info(which is mostly important to me, I am in LA!), SH-AWD, larger space, lower price 45-48,000$, more reliable than any other brands, Excellent gas mileges(Escalade 12-13 mile for Gal, common!!) ;)
    The minus are no window blocking shields, not soul attracting as looks(probably japanese brand, acura targeting as excutive dad or stylish mom?). low options than other premiums SUV( I like the fact that Q7 does have cup holder gets cold), ugly-fake-wood trims(looks like fake to me) in interriors.

I will buy X5 if they fit on $52000 and if acura goes on more than $48000, but I will buy MDX gets $46000 for full options if X5 goes more than $54000.

Anyhow, both are big money to me, but I willing to spend more if somethings are 'really valueble' :shades:
  • albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    yes, but from different stand point, lexus es is nothing but a toyota camry xle. but for once it looks better!
  • albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    @ first, I was itching to say no one cares that much about reliability, but reading the next few posts made me think different.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Audi vehicles have been plagued by reliability issues over the years.
    It has been brought to my attention that over on the Q7 board, there have been quite a few complaints from owners.
    I wouldn't bother to go over there.

What's the point of getting a high status, good looking SUV if you are afraid you may break down somewhere?

I would rather go a little lower in status and get the MDX.
    I would sleep better, plus it is also quite good looking and even though the "wood" came out of a test tube, the interior is quite beautiful, IMO and I look forward to sitting in one and hopefully driving it next month.

When the reviewers are saying it can handle almost as well as the Cayenne and X5, I have to check it out.

Sure wish the remote power operated tailgate wasn't buried in the rear entertainment system option.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    The reason is GM announced 10 years warranty on those.

IIRC, the warranty is 5 years/100K miles. It would make sense if you put at least 20K miles/year. Otherwise time will run out before the warranty does. For that matter, Acura powertrain warranty is 6 years/70K miles.
  • my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    I too don't understand why the power liftgate is packaged with the rear entertainment system! It makes much more sense to be included in either the Technology or Sports package.

Also, the "knob" for the GPS instead of touch screen is another puzzle? Why would Acura switch to that when they had one of the best GPS features around?

Go figure!?!
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    Car & Driver just drove one, and they were impressed with the sport suspension. They especially like the AWD, mentioning how they could really smash the throttle early in a turn. They did mention that the normal suspension is also very good, not as tight, but probably better for day to day driving.

So Acura might have something here in terms of handling. I somehow doubt it will be better than the X5 or Cayenne (those SUVs are really built with a focus on handling, not supreme comfort), but it might come close.
    Actually, the sport package adds active dampers and that is supposed to really help in day-to-day driving. And Acura's handling, as I conclude from previews and reviews so far, is that is excellent but without a jarring ride (and thats where strength of SH-AWD, and effectiveness of active dampers will show up).
  • robinsradarrobinsradar Member Posts: 55
    Saw this on another sight/board:

base- 40665
    tech- 44165
    tech + ent-46365
    sport-46265
    sport + ent 48465
    #'s do not include destination charge of $670
    Can anyone confirm?
    Gosh, over 50K for a loaded MDX (tags, title, etc), that is high. I saw similar pricing on another site and I am hoping they are just guesstimates, but who knows.
    Assuming you pay MSRP for the top end model, then you will end up into low 50s. But how is that high? Compared to what?
    Look pretty expensive comparing to X5, XC90... as value aspects. Then I may going to consider to buy RL, which is 95% made in Japan factory.

X5 does have cool features such as adaptive drive, Head up display..I like acura, but their problem is 'not concerning' about high tech-interrior-features. Seems like keep focusing on mechanic qualities. I know honda got best engine technology, it's time to working on comfort features. Oh, most important thing that they must working on first is, spend more marketing money on 're-value their brand name'. :P
    It's enough already with the Acura bundled options concept.
    If I want a power lift gate, I should be able to order one without being conned into ordering a rear entertainment package I don't want.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    The power lift gate is packaged with the rear entertainment system because both are items which would be of most interest to buyers with their family in mind.

This is the first Acura I've seen with such a wide array of options. In the past, it's been NAV or no NAV - nothing else.

The reason for this is simple. It costs money to make things optional from the factory. The more option packages there are, the more it complicates the assembly process. The more complex assembly becomes, the more money they spend. Bottom line... we pay more for less.
    I think Acura had to offer more options simply because it is now targeting BMW, Porsche, Audi, etc, and all those SUVs have many option packages as well as many individual options. That's what luxury SUV buyers are used to, so why rock the boat.

That darn power liftgate...is it truly that useful? I'm trying to think of times where you would really use it, and coming up short. Grocery shopping? Most people use a cart, no one really comes out with arms full of bags anymore.
    Every person usually has a good reason to buy one vehicle (like MDX) over another (X5 or XC90). What compromises that person is ready to make? Acura needs to compete on quality and features, not on price. Unfortunately, it is not easy to "move" badge conscious buyers. Many may be happier with a choppy riding Cayenne or X5 with fewer features, but that doesn't make MDX less of a vehicle. Based on reviews so far, it seems very reasonably priced (and looking at it, I wonder why Acura didn't do all that to RL... may be they will!).

And based on those reviews, IMO, top of the line MDX at $49K is a steal, if you consider its direct competition.
  • simagicsimagic Member Posts: 84
    Well the Beamer has 4 year free service. That certainly could sway some people
    Thank you, my sediments exactly. I am sorry, but over 50K for an MDX that was priced in the high 30's to low 40's loaded on this year's model, Acura better be on the same page (features, handling, etc.) as BWM, MB and even Lexus (for those who are fans) with the 2007 MDX. You may disagree, but Acura is not held in the the same class as their German competition, I know a lot of people who snub Acura, "their reliable and nice, but........." Always a but and never any excitement.
    Like I said, I am going to drive the new X5 and MDX and then make a decision.
    :)
    Has anyone confirmed the pricing posted earlier??
    Forgot to mention Porsche in my rant #439 above!
    Badge chasers are incurable. If they are blinded by the brand and lose sight of a better vehicle, it is their loss. Acura needs to do its thing, and thankfully, the new MDX appears to be a step or two in the right direction. As for pricing, the current MDX is priced from $38K to $45K. Now, I don't know where the chunk of sales lie, I suspect it is in the low 40s already.

If 2007 MDX is priced from $41K to $48K as is being rumored, that segment of buyers are well covered. And then there is an additional option that didn't exist before. I just don't see how $3-4K in pricing is a huge deal in this price class of vehicles.

Now for those blindly seeking BMW, Lexus or MB, they are better left alone. May be they will learn something new, and show up at Acura. For that, Acura needs to keep doing what it has started.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    Having own '98 540iA for 8 years, I can tell you these:
    - free maintanence: your oil change comes at about 10K miles schedule, not 5K. Would you do that to your beloved vehicles? Changing oil at 10K intervals? The 4 year free maintanence is nice, just factor $1K worth for it.
    - BMW is unreliable. I lost count of how much "bugs" I had with this car. Great drive, but 1-2 problem per years. BMW has many problems with cooling system and sensors. Very expensive to repair.

If you must buy an X5, please take my advice, lease it for four years (matching the warranty and free service, etc.). Return the vehicle when time is up, you will be a happy (relatively speaking) BMW owner.

For me, I would never pay >$50K to buy a BMW again. I love the car, but it is just too problematic for me. All my Japanese vehicles had at most 1 problem during 7 years of ownership. I had at least 15 non-maintenance issues with my BMW.

I love the new MDX and look forward to replace our Odyssey with it. Too bad, it does not have the Smart Key Access that Toyota and Lexus have. I really love it on my Prius.
    I had put in an order for an 07 Lexus RX350 (with the Performance Package) back in August as the lease on my 04 is coming up ~ it would have been my fourth RX (99, 01, 04). But, as soon as I read about the 07 MDX, I called my Lexus dealer and they graciously agreed to refund my deposit (the car would NOT be in until the end of October anyway) and I made a deposit on a fully-loaded MDX yesterday instead (Sport & Entertainment Packages).

For me, there's just no comparison between the MDX and the RX ~ the technology and features just over-match the RX ~ the design, the powertrain, the console layout, the 7-passenger capacity, even the GPS features, are much better thought out than the RX, just to name a few!

Granted that I'll miss the Adaptive Headlights, Rain-sensing Wipers and Dynamic Laser Cruise Control (maybe even the Air Suspension) on the RX, and this is going to cost me about $3k more in actual dollar, I still think it's well worth it!
    I took a good look at the RX350 a few months back, and even though it hadn't been fully redesigned in years, it still looked very nice inside and out. But you're right, the new MDX is a superior package (the 2006 MDX, on the other hand, was inferior, imo).

It seems that the RX is going for a more luxurious ride, and probably still as the MDX beat at that. But it's the "sporty" attitute of the MDX that I like, and I don't sense any of that in the RX, even though the MDX is missing quite a few options found on higher end SUVs (i.e. the ones you mentioned). Odd that Acura would omit these (and still charge a hefty price).
    Below is the pricing for the 2007 MDX. The prices below include the destination fee, which we believe is $670.

MDX Premium $40,665
    MDX + Tech $44,165
    MDX + Tech + Ent $46,365
    MDX + Sport $46,265 (includes Tech features)
    MDX + Sport + Ent $48,465.

Confirmed prices.
    I guess that means the MSRP for MDX + Sport (without Tech or Entertainment) = $42,765.
    I don't think you can get the sport without the tech package.

A few things are still up in the air: height to get into seats from the ground, not crazy about color combos, driving difference between base model and sport model. Don't have a need for the RES package.
    If you want to read directly from the horse's mouth, so to speak ~ here's the link: http://hondanews.com/CatID3000?mid=2006091539650&mime=asc
    So just to make sure I'm getting this right: the base MDX does come with leather, but the Sport version upgrades to better leather, correct?

Also, the base MDX does not come with HID lights, just standard halogen, correct?

That price isn't all that bad if you stick with the base version. I was hoping somewhere near the $37k range...maybe I can still get there if they start selling these things near invoice ;-)
    Good luck ~ I was told that it'd be a long while before they would come down from the MSRP. In fact, they're talking about a surcharge for the initial period!

Your comment on the leather seats is correct in that the Sport Package would have the upgraded perforated leather. However, all MDX would have the Xenon HID as standard equipment but the Sport Package adds the Auto-leveling feature.
    The official website lists HID as standard feature in MDX. In fact, the base model is impressively equipped (as I have come to expect from Acura).
    Link to standard features & packages
    I'm going to an Atlanta dealership on Saturday to pick up a brochure. Do you know if this has a picture of the upgraded leather seating or any other site that may have a pic posted of the upgraded seats?
    All pictures I have seen (of seats) seem to show the base model. The upgraded leather is perforated.
    Thanks for the info, I wasn't too clear on the HIDs. Guess I'd be most interested in the base model with the ENT package for the kids...don't need all that nice leather to get ripped up in the back! As well, not too crazy about the new NAV...I'd rather have touchscreen. Might get the Nuvi 360 instead.

I'm in the market now for a new CUV, but I can certainly wait 6 months until prices come down--they always do, once the initial excitement has come and gone and all the magazines are done reviewing it. In any case, I still want to see what the Mazda CX-9 and the Buick Enclave will have to offer, and I think they're not coming out until early next year. But you're right, I doubt I'll get anywhere near invoice in that timeframe.
    Then, how much usually acura goes down after 6 month later? probably couple of thousand? :confuse:
    I'll go on record and predict waiting lists for this MDX. Acura isn't charging enough for it. They could easily stick another $2K on it and still sell a bundle of them. Capacity has been improved since they started building them later in 2000, but they also have several vehicles being produced on the same lines.

I do wish we could get the Sport package without the Tech package, though.

I can see ADMs on this buggy for a quite a while. Sales will dwarf those of its little brother RDX. (The RDX should be seeing discounts soon. It isn't nearly as good a package.) If I were looking to upgrade from my 2004 model, I'd have my deposit to the dealer before the end of the day. Otherwise, I expect I'd be waiting a long time.
    Depends on the vehicle.

RL = down by thousands.

TSX = MSRP for about a year.

Orignial MDX = MSRP plus ADM for at least a year. People were still on wait lists 18 months after it had been released.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    There is a close up of the premium leather in the brochure. It is perforated. Also, the high res pics on a previous post here showed the silver w/ ebony sport package. The only difference visually is the perforated texture. I think the real difference will be in the "feel". My dealer told me they are taking $500 deposits (refundable) for the vehicles "in order to secure yours now". Not too thrilled about this sales tactic. I personally have never done it, what do people think about this?
    I would never put down a deposit on a car/suv until I have taken a test drive. If additional markups are added on I will wait until excitement runs the course. There are several new SUV's coming out within next two years that should take away some customers.

A quality control person had a posting on Edmonds that it is always better to wait at least three months (brand didn't matter) before buying a redesigned/new car or SUV. The posting had statistics too back up the claim. For instance, take a look at the Audi Q7 postings and you will see a few negative comments from early buyers.
    Well when the first MDX came out, dealers were charging full price and even a premium, but as you mentioned there was also a lack of vehicles. However that was also in the days were people really had no choice in car-like SUVs. Additionally, this is not a "new" model, just a redesign.

With that said, I bet dealers will try to tack on a premium, but I can't see it lasting too long at all: there are just too many choices out there right now, and soon there will be even more. The CUV market is about to get saturated quickly, which hopefully will translate to more competitive pricing.

I'm with you on the RDX: not enough of a good package, might as well just get the Mazda CX-7. Acura is overpricing that puppy by at least $2k.
    I think adm's and wait lists will vary by region. In middle georgia (Macon), Acura is not a major seller. People would balk at ADM's. Wait list will come into play on certain color/interior combinations.

When I was looking at the Q7 they supplied the dealers a few SUV's for test drives and then you put in order. Does Acura handle new releases the same way?

I'm looking at sport package and leaving off the RES. Color will depend on availability. I'm not crazy about the color selections. If test drive goes okay will most likely put down deposit/buy.
  • jd14jd14 Member Posts: 128
    Acura announces pricing for 2007 MDX SUV
    Posted Sep 15th 2006 3:52PM by Stuart Waterman
    Filed under: Car Buying, SUVs, Acura

Acura announced Friday the pricing structure for its all-new MDX seven-passenger SUV, which hits U.S. showrooms October 17. The 3.7-liter 300-hp MDX will have a base price of $39,995, and will be available with three option packages:

Technology Package - $43,495 buys your inner geek a 10-speaker, 410-watt surround sound audio system, plus a nav system with voice recognition, the AcuraLink satellite communication system with real-time traffic, and a rearview camera
    Sport Package - for $45,595 you get the Technology Package plus the Active Damper System sport suspension, upgraded interior leather, model-specific alloy wheels and auto-leveling Xenon headlights
    Entertainment Package - a $2,200 add-on to either the Sport or Technology package, the Entertainment option buys you a rear-seat DVD entertainment system, 110 VAC outlet, heated second row seats and a power tailgate.

All versions are subject to a $670 destination charge.
  • love2driveinctlove2driveinct Member Posts: 80
    No rain-sensing wipers on the 07? Are you sure??

I have them on my 06 and they work great.

Also, my parents have an RX350 and every time we compare our navi systems mine comes out on top. :)
    "However that was also in the days were people really had no choice in car-like SUVs. Additionally, this is not a "new" model, just a redesign."

You have a good point, and I may be over-stating things, but also consider this.

While there were not as many CUVs on the market back in 2001, the only ones which were available were the RX300 (very popular) and the Mercedes M-Class (well reviewed and popular). Not to mention, most buyers did not distinguish between CUVs and the body on frame designs. Rovers and Navigators were the creme de la creme.

Also, while being a revamp may not be as sexy as a completely new model, consider the 1999 Honda Odyssey. That vehicle was both a revamp and some 15 years late to the party.

"I'm with you on the RDX: not enough of a good package, might as well just get the Mazda CX-7. Acura is overpricing that puppy by at least $2k."

Based on my test drive and what I'm getting from reviews, the RDX will smoke the CX-7. If you want that level of performance, the Mazda doesn't have it, nor does it have the luxury and technology in the cockpit. Nothing wrong with that, that's why the CX-7 is so much cheaper. The problem with the RDX is simply that there isn't a big enough market, yet. There are not enough buyers to pay what the vehicle is worth. While I think the RDX is a good vehicle, it is not a great vehicle.

Of course, that's a whole other thread.
    "No rain-sensing wipers on the 07? Are you sure??"

That's correct. I would miss them, too.

That said, I've listened to the ELS stereo in the RDX and is simply blows the Bose system in my 2004 MDX out of the water. I would gladly trade the wipers for that sounds system.
    "When I was looking at the Q7 they supplied the dealers a few SUV's for test drives and then you put in order. Does Acura handle new releases the same way?"

With Acura, many things vary from dealer to dealer. You might find one that will let you drive a new MDX off the truck. Another might only allow test drives if you put down a deposit. (Deposits are fully refundable, so there's no reason not to give them one. Failure to give them a deposit shows an unreasonable lack of trust and won't get you anywhere with any kind of dealer.)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    mdx is the unofficial station wagon of our town, according to one of my kids. there was a blowout lease deal on the '06's, so i'll be interested to see how many '07's i end up seeing.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
This discussion has been closed.