Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX 2007

Comments

• hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    the longer you can afford to wait, the more you will be able to negotiate.
    Dealers are always at their most obnoxiously arrogant when a new vehicle comes out.
    I remember shopping a new model Lexus GS 17 months ago and they wouldn't budge from MSRP. Now they can't even give them away.
    Let their MDX inventory build up a while after the initial flurry. There are so many SUV brands out there. I'm sure 6 months from now, the dealers will have a more friendly demeanor and you can negotiate for several thousand off of MSRP.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    In general, most folks who drove the MDX and the competition on the track came away with the perception that the MDX was more stable than the BMW (current X5, not necessarily the new one) and on par with the Porsche, though the MDX actually had more speed than the V6 Cayenne.

The Acura dealers do have something to brag about.

The V8 X5 and Turbo Cayenne are another story. But they're also in another price bracket.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    As a title of a general discussion forum, it's pretty lousy.

I'm open to suggestions for a better title. Just come up with one that conveys generality but does not imply a primary source of data.

Looking forward to your suggestions! :)

tidester, host
  • jeffxpjeffxp Member Posts: 33
    Healey , from USA Today, also commented on the MDX sluggish off the start but once going there's plenty of power. If you haven't used "Healy's Comments with audio/picture" it's quite informative. I find him the best reviewer so far. I've see the MDX up close and it looks powerful but need to drive it. Check it out this weekend.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2006-08-31-acura-mdx_x.htm

JeffXP
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I can't get too excited over the new MDX. Styling is subjective, but IMO, it's looks are so-so.
    The new X5 whips its a** on that count.

And is it breaking any new ground technology-wise? Everything seems to be an extension or evolution of existing technologies. It still can't match Lexus in the luxury and amenities department.

Last, but not least, it's over-sized. This thing is supposed to be "mid-size"? Anyone checked out the width?!
    At the end of the day, it's just a AWD minivan for computer-savvy soccer moms.
  • robinsradarrobinsradar Member Posts: 55
    Yea, I took a test drive in a base model with the technology package today. MDX with Sport package will be tested on Saturday. I'll give a few first impressions and see if they match your test drive.

1) Was a bit disappointed about acceleration from stand-still. SUV appeared to stay in low gears a long time (3500-4000 rpm) this is much different from my Volvo S80 T-6. Once it got going power was more than adequate.

2) Technoloy package items were very good. Very impressed with rear view camera.

3) Parking and handling (SH-AWD) were also very good...exceeded expectations.

4) Interior seating/dashboard not as good as competitors. Got spoiled on Volvo seats. Interested to see if Sport package upgrade is an improvement.

Good luck with test drive.
  • nyrk2nyrk2 Member Posts: 2
    HI ALL! I currently own a MDX TOURING 2004.love it , have no problems and was very excited to trade it for 2007 model. The one that i want is around 45K. But I want to lease it(for my own reasons do not want to purchase) I went to my dealer to negotiate and his best offer was: 36 mo lease 12K - $725 a month+tax up front+all the other fees. To me it makes no sense to pay that for a car that worth 45K and has the best resale value.I was willing to pay $650 with taxes broken in to the payment+fees. They told me NO DEAL without any further negotiation. I leave in Brooklyn NY where probably 60-70 percent of people prefer leasing(including myself) and IMO deals like that will push many MDX lovers to look elsewhere. And as much as I like the MDX(and I really think it is the best 6cyl SUV on the planet)I will wait for 34 more days and I'll make my self go and check out the new X5. It would probably be around 53K, but i have a feeling I could lease it for about the same money . And if that's the case I'll go for it. I might regret this later but today I am NOT accepting the horrible and ridiculous lease program from acura.
    In 2005, I had a chance to lease a BMW X5 4.4 for $670 plus tax a month, no money down, 36 months, 36k miles. This was a $60k vehicle.
    I passed on that and instead leased a $60k BMW 545i for the same money and I'm glad I did!
  • nyrk2nyrk2 Member Posts: 2
    But of course you are! You got a nice deal and you got the car you wanted. My friend is leasing 530I with sport package(about51K-52K)He got that like a year ago, before 530XI came out. His deal was: 2K total out of pocket 36 mo/12K- $642 a month with no other fees or charges. Not a bad deal!
    Your timing has to be right to get a great deal.
    Nobody who shops the new MDX now will get a good deal.
    I would postpone looking until next Spring.

Happens all the time. People who have to be first on their block post regrets 6 months later when they go to the "prices paid" thread and see the deals they could have obtained if they waited.
    It's also good to wait a bit to see if early buyers are having any significant problems.
  • my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    As I have said before ~ getting a 48-month lease actually makes more sense on a top-end, loaded, popular model vehicle because of its higher residual value, i.e., less depreciation and less monthly payment.

When it came to the 36th month, if you wanted to either trade it in or sell it yourself, the retail value would usually be higher than the payoff figure.

Yes ~ it's actually possible that you could accumulate equity on a lease!
    I didn't know you can trade in a vehicle before the lease is up. How exactly does that work?
    Well took the plunge and will pick up 2007 MDX with Sport and RES on Monday. Handling, technology features and just the right size were contributing factors. Anyone who carries a dog in their SUV would recommend the cargo tray to protect third row seat area.

A word of caution to folks expecting this SUV to be a "Sport-Like car". The acceleration from a stand-still is quite slow when compared to most cars. Most of the power is obtained above 35-40 mph (3rd gear and above).

Will write review when I get back from trip in November. Good Luck to everyone in their future purchase.
  • manmountainmanmountain Member Posts: 44
    I'll 'third' that.
    Every lease has a early buyout/payoff figure ~ you just trade it in as if you owned the car. The dealership will contact the leasing company to get the payoff figure and go from there!
    The Canadian version (made in the same plant, etc, etc) doesn't offer either the taupe or parchment interior colors. For me, this is a deal breaker. I want to send this message to Acura Canada. It shouldn't be a difficult problem to solve...simply offer the color as an option (charge me if you want) and keep some stock above and beyond the US build runs. If anyone agrees, let's hear from you.
    I'm disappointed too at the 2 interior colors for the Canadian version. I like the parchment, and the camel colors on the TL. (Generally I prefer a light-colored interior).
    "I can't get too excited over the new MDX. Styling is subjective, but IMO, it's looks are so-so.
    The new X5 whips its a** on that count."

It's definitely a subjective thing, but I think BMW made a mistake with the new X5. It's a good-looking vehicle. No question. But it looks too much like the last generation. Nothing wrong with the look, but in 2 or 3 years, it'll look like an 8 year old vehicle.
  • jeffxpjeffxp Member Posts: 33
    I just test drove the MDX and was very disappointed. The MDX was more than sluggish it was way to slow off the start. The sound system wasn't up to par with the TL or RL. The vehicle just didn't feel tight. When I drove over a pot hole it didn't handle it well.
    I did like the seats. The electromagnetic drive was nice. I'm a Honda fan but just feel like they messed up with the RL and now the MDX when it comes to power. :sick:
  • koho955koho955 Member Posts: 97
    Since my lease runs out at the end of November I have just finished test driving every SUV between $35,000-$45,000. I couldn't beleive how bad the Volvo, BMW, Mercedes, Honda....drove. I own the BMW 5 series now and wouldn't touch it again. I loved the 2004 MDX but opted for the BMW, only to hate it. I took a test drive in the 2007 MDX and after the first mile I knew this was my next SUV lease. I bought the basic model for sticker ($40,350.00) which sucks. The black one I want will be in at the end of November so the decision has been made. Test drive the MDX and then in the same day drive the Volvo & BMW, you won't look back.
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    Careful: you're comparing a brand new, redesigned MDX with models that have not been redesigned for quite a few years. A whole bunch of new ones/redesigned models are coming out in the next few months, which is why I'm waiting to see if anything will compare to the MDX at a lower price.

(Now if you did happen to drive the redesigned X5 and the new Mercedes SUVs, and still like the MDX better, than that is indeed good new for the MDX!)
  • jsgbjsgb Member Posts: 12
    Test drove the 2007 MDX on Saturday. Wow!! what an improvement over my 2002 MDX. Was on the freeway at 80 mph and it felt like 60 mph. Expect delivery of Base model in early November. As for the concern of acceleration from the start.....it is fast enough for me, and I did notice that it accelerates very nicely at higher speeds also. My other Honda is a CBR 600 superbike that will do 0 to 60 in 3 seconds. I think Acura did a great job on this SUV. I like the wider tires which held the road well on corners and looks great compared to the narrower tires on the 1st generation MDX.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Congratulations on the purchase. Keep us posted on your experiences.

As for off the line acceleration, I had suggested several weeks ago that Acura isn't being aggressive with gearing especially in lower gears (same issue with RL) to help test drivers perceive the claimed power. But that, IMO, is a non-issue anyway. What really matters is rolling acceleration.

What color/combination did you get? If possible, post some pictures!
    I fully agree. I currently have a white 04 TL with parchment and constantly get raves from passengers and even passers by. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we might move Acura Canada to include either the parchment or taupe or both for the Canadian version MDX?
    I have the Abyss Blue/Camel combo on my TL, which I think it's also a sharp combo. When I bought, it was literally a coin-toss between that and the White/Parchment, because I really liked the parchment. But in the end the Abyss Blue tipped the scale.

The RDX offers the Taupe interior. So, I guess, either Honda Canada didn't want the RDX and the MDX to share the color, or they didn't see fit to have 3 interior color choices for the MDX. Either way...bummer! :mad:
    Ended up with the Dark Cherry/Parchment combination. Although, this was not my first selection the dark cherry actually looks better than the initial pictures that were posted in the SUV's reviews. First selection was the Steel Blue/Taupe combination but apparently this was not available in the Georgia region until mid-November.

Yes, I agree about the rolling acceleration. It just going to take some driving adjustment compared to current S80 T6 when pulling out into traffic and merging from on-ramps.
    I am leasing the 2007 MDX basic model ($40,300) for $690/month. The $45K Volvo was also $690.00/month. The $44K 4-runner was $650.00 per month while a $42K Chevy Taho was at $600.00/month. It's all about supply and demand folks NOT residual value. The above leases are all based on 3 years, 15K per year and Zero Down.
  • annleeannlee Member Posts: 11
    "Ended up with the Dark Cherry/Parchment combination. Although, this was not my first selection the dark cherry actually looks better than the initial pictures..."

I have been curious about the dark cherry. Does it look burgundy or more like a garnet? :confuse:
  • ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    bravo, you are spot on...

ksso
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    I'm curious about the cockpit room, is it similar to the previous gen? '04 MDX has plenty of room for me (6'3"). This will be a major factor in my purchase. RDX that I test drove was much too cramped. Thanks.
    Played around in one, but did not drive it. (The dealer had "real" shoppers looking to drive the only demo.)

Anyway... the cockpit feels a little tighter than my 2004 model. Mostly, I think, because the dash is sculpted around the driver and passenger. Otherwise the leg and head room seemed about the same.
  • gene00gene00 Member Posts: 115
    I'm open to suggestions for a better title. Just come up with one that conveys generality but does not imply a primary source of data.

Looking forward to your suggestions!

How about "2007 Acura MDX"?
    How about "2007 Acura MDX"?

I like that one but it implies a "primary source of data!" :)

tidester, host
    I like that one but it implies a "primary source of data!"

"Vehicles"?
    Why don't we discuss this over in Acura MDX Owners: Meet the Members? :D

tidester, host
    My knees are always banging into things, does it have about the same knee room?
    Well, that's a hard one to answer. I would say yes, but, because I didn't drive it, I can't say with any certainty.

I was just sitting - not really moving my feet around the pedals. I don't recall if I even adjusted the seat for a good fit. It felt like the dash was closer to me than in my '04. But head and leg room seemed about the same.
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    I just drove an 07 on some twisty's in back of the dealership in Houston. A huge step up IMO from the last one. Acceleration was nice, handling was much improved. Very little if any body motion, very controlled through fast sweepers. A very comfortable, and quiet ride. The steering is quite good, but not BMW good. For the money it's a great deal. The main problem IMO is, as soon as I go across the street to Audi, I remember the fairly sized leap in interior quality. The MDX will leave the Q7 in a strait line for sure. I think they are both very sure footed. Dollar for Dollar the Acura wins. But on flat out elegance, and quality of materials, the Audi is the winner. I'm wondering if the new X5 will be the tie breaker for my wife when it comes out next month.
    For anyone who has test driven an '07 MDX, did you get to test the rear seat ride comfort? I'm mainly talking about the bounciness assuming the ride is fairly firm. I recently rode for an hour in the back seat of an '06 X5 on a nice SoCal freeway, and it got to be very uncomfortable, the bouncing reminded me of the ride in the back of an old forerunner. I'm wondering if sporty SUV manufacturers are sacrificing rear comfort for the driver's sporting pleasure.
    Took an '07 out for a test drive today (w/o the salesman I might add). Very impressed. Has the room of my '04 and the handling (well, maybe not quite) of my TL. Certainly the handling is light years ahead of the previous gen. I managed to find some twisties off the interstate and made the tires squeal (almost a screech). Don't tell the salesman. I agree that the low end torque is not the greatest (same in my '04), but once you get past 4k rpm, that's when the fun begins. I think you would have to pay a lot more money for any other "SUV" that handles the way this one does.
    But what did you think of the looks? Don't you find it a little porky, bulbous, and over-styled when viewed from any angle other than straight-on from the front or the back?
  • mdxmommdxmom Member Posts: 6
    I liked the look but was dissapointed with a few minor items. For exammple the tail and brake lights are led but the turn signal is a regular bulb. Why not go all the way and have an led turn signal? The compartment in the centre console is a nice size but odd opening.
    :)
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    On LED, using LED lights for turn signals serve no purpose in safety improvement unlike its use on stop/brake lights. LED fires up 0.2 sec faster than regular bulb. That is 0.2sec more response time for the driver behind you to react (if he/she is even paying attention at all...?).

Yes, LED lights last longer but they are also much more expensive to replace. (not $1, that is for sure).

MDX is going to feel slow offline due to its short first gear (2.7). That, compared with 4.06 for new X5 (2.36 for 2nd gear), is a huge difference. Well, Acura really need 6-speed tranny to spread out the gear ratios while improving MPG.
    When I was test-driving the MDX, I actually chose to sit in the backseat for a period of time, just to see how comfy it was ~ and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised that it was not only comfortable but roomy (I'm 6'1" with long legs), without any of the bouncy feelings associated with soft suspensions!
  • gollamgollam Member Posts: 29
    i would like to know how comfy the third row is for adults your size?...
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    I sat in the back, but not while the car was moving. I'm not super tall 5'10" but I felt like there was a lot of legroom. And, the seats were very comfortable. Lot's of shoulder and headroom as well.
    I'm very impressed with the direction Acura took with this vehicle. It offers the same driving enjoyment of my wife's Infiniti FX35, but almost the refinement and smoothness of the Lexus RX. I think there are some kind of cheap pieces in the interior when compared to say Audi, but who doesn't when compared to Audi. It balances out when you consider that Acura electronic components, Nav, blue tooth, and such are superior to the Germans. It blows away the Mercedes ML IMO.
    As far as people saying that acceleration is slow off the line, I can't get with that. What are they comparing it to? I think my wife's FX is probably the quick est in the segment, but it felt equally responsive. I very aggressively put my foot in to the accelerator, and I felt it responded as it should given the specs, price and class of the vehicle. It is very sure footed.
    I don't know much about gear ratios but I did test drive the 07 volvo SUV with a 6-speed tranny. It was the worst driving vehicle yet. The constant upshifting and downshifting every time you touched the gas pedal was enough to make me walk after a 5 minute drive.
    Two things I'm still deciding whether I like or not: the front grille and the gray front and rear bumpers regardless of vehicle color. Will these two things be deal breakers? Probably not. Mine is arriving mid Nov. (cherry,sport&ent) Put down a refundable deposit, so I still have an out if I decide I can't stand it.
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    "Don't you find it a little porky, bulbous..."

I do! It's still a good looking suv, but you are right, it does seem a little "bloated" from certain angles.
  • mrs2kmrs2k Member Posts: 1
    Ordered Silver with Black interior loaded with everything, even the sport package too. I test drove it at my local dealer and I slammed on the brakes to try to nose dive it with the sport suspension and the MDX kept its composure. Awesome SUV. I think it drives better than many sedans out there. And thank God I got a knowledgable salesman. There are to many advanced features on this car. But once explained I got the hang of it right away (Navi). Nice vehicle I highly recommend it.
This discussion has been closed.