Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Extended Warranties

Comments

• mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    What coolant leak problem did you have? An intake job (most common) would be around $600-$700. If you used GM parts to repair, you would have 12/12 warranty each time it was repaired. Many service contracts waive the deductible for repeat repairs, does Geico?
  • breezleybreezley Member Posts: 9
    I just bought a '03 with a little over 48K on it. Love the jeep but need a warrenty. I called the Jeep dealership and they won't sell me one. I have looked into WarrentyDirect.com and AAA 's warrenty and GEICO. I need a 3rd party warrenty otherwise I am without warrenty. I get the impresson from the board no one likes 3rd party warrenties but if you have to have one - who has a good one?

Thanks
    :confuse:
  • 123enter123enter Member Posts: 8
    Hello All,
    We're buying our first Lexus (2007 RX350) and wanted to know if anyone can share their thoughts on whether or not an extended warranty would make sense. I know how reliable they are, but we plan on keeping it well beyond the manufacturer's warranty. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    We're buying our first Lexus (2007 RX350) and wanted to know if anyone can share their thoughts on whether or not an extended warranty would make sense

EXT warranties can be very beneficial for some folks.

Ask yourself this question...

When the vehicle is out of warranty and something mechanical breaks...at any given time, can you afford to pay a substantial service charge without going broke?

thats a big one...I have known people who needed some major repairs out of nowhere and couldnt afford to get it done.

On the otherside if you can afford a major repair but want some preotection you could self insure....put the cost of the warranty in a bank account and only use it for non-warranty repairs. If you never use it you get your money back with interest.

Of course if you go with the warranty....make sure its one backed by an automobile manufacturer and not some aftermarket warranty company in Mongolia. The factory warranty is usually a little bit more money but well worth the extra cost.

Good luck and enjoy your new Lexus.
  • eroseros Member Posts: 27
    As I mentioned earlier, I just purchased a 2006 RAV4 and decided to get a 7yr/75,000mi Toyota factory warranty. I'm not so concerned about hardware problems over the years. I worry more about the exorbitant cost of replacing electronics in the car; I previously had a Volvo which needed a new chip at 60,000 miles to the tune of $800!!!

I'd STRONGLY recommend that you contact Toyota of Greenfield, Mass to get a warranty quote. My dealer wanted $1900 for the warranty, but I picked it up through Greenfield for $600. The warranty is issued via Toyota corporate headquarters, so you don't have to worry about obtaining it away from your own Lexus dealer.

Good luck,
  • aarkeyaarkey Member Posts: 4
    Hi All,

Could you please suggest me an Extended warranty for my 2003 BMW 525i with 26000 miles. My car has BMW manufacturer warranty till April 2007.

I got this car last week and I'm the 2nd owner of this car. I bought this car from a Non-BMW dealer. He is offering me to take 3rd party warranty from AUL corp (6years/100k/$0 deductible) for $1900.

and also I got some online quotes from Continental for "Protective Factory plus" warranty (6years/100k/$100 deductible)for $2000. Did anybody using Protective warranty?

As BMW is not offering any warranty after 4years/50k miles, Could you please suggest me of any reliable 3rd party warranty,

thanks in advance,
    RK
  • statstat Member Posts: 19
    I love extended warranties. I wish I could sell each and every one of you an extended warranty on EVERYTHING you own. They're great source of pure profit. In fact, I live in an area where a Toy dealer is throwing in a limited lifetime warranty on every new Toyota they sell. The catch is, it's nothing more than a marketing gimmick to get the customer to perform all of their maint. at the stealership. This way, they can bleed you dry before they have to repair/replace anything under that lifetime warranty. They have a long list of exclusions (including gaskets and seals -- the two most common items needing replacement above 100k miles). Furthermore, the company underwriting the warranty is based out of an island (i'm sure they'll be around for many years to come).

Instead of pouring your hard earned money into a worthless warranty, you're better off just paying a little extra and getting yourself a more reliable car. There are very few companies (if any) that will warrant a car past 100k anyway. That alone should tell you something.
  • roundtriproundtrip Member Posts: 105
    :P stealership :P

I love it! :D
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    My thoughts exactly......Thank You.

Another of my favorites is......Free tires for life. But as you guessed it, all the maintenance, and it's the stealer recommended maintenance, has to be done there.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    Let's not go too far with the "stealership" comments - just like everything else, there are good & bad dealerships around, and blanket insults aren't always appreciated.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

We had a guy come in the other day with a maintenance contract through another dealer. He swears it is GM-wide (not), and he gets free oil changes. All he has to pay is the $36 labor charge!
    Our regular oil change is $21.95. 'Course his car takes MobilOne, so it costs more, but geez, $36 labor for an oil change!? Yikes!
    I wish I could have read that contract.
    yes ma'am :blush:
    I'm just a teacher appreciating figurative language and creativity.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'm just a teacher ...

We'll leave the "Fill in the blank: ALL TEACHERS ARE _______" discussion for another forum. :shades:

tidester, host
    You can do your worst because I've heard it all, esp. from the parents who never even graduated. Just, please, at least spell it correctly! ;)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    because I've heard it all

Dittos - we're in the same boat. :)

tidester, host
  • tyray15tyray15 Member Posts: 11
    Car_man,

I am hunting for an extended warranty for my 2006 Grand Prix and decided to check out the two websites youhave been referncing over and over again (Black and Capper). I went to both these websites but am having trouble finding where I can find prices for different warranties. On Capper's website, every page I go to says "Coming Soon" and on Black's, I keep ending up on the purchase form page. Please advise. Thanks.
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    TY.......With Black you now have to fill out the
    terms, time, etc. and e-mail
    for your GMPP price. The prices used to be plainly
    posted on their sites..............
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    I just went to Blacks (http://www.gmoutlet.com/mgn_menu.htm) you have 3 choices to get pricing. I clicked the e-mail request and got a message back within a few minutes that linked to pricing. Anyone know if this has been updated since the increase in powertrain to 100,000 miles? That should reduce pricing somewhat...I think I saw someone that was purchasing and got a 25% or so reductions due to that.
  • heidigreenlawheidigreenlaw Member Posts: 26
    I am picking up my new 2006 Toyota Highlander tomorrow. I know the dealership makes tons of money on extended warranties, but is it worth it to me as the consumer to get one? I've also read here on previous posts that you can negotiate the cost of the manufacturer's extended warranty??? Is that true? How do I know how much to pay then?
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    only you can decide if the ext. warranty is worth if for you....make the decision based on how long you plan on keeping the car and your personal financial position.

Let's say you keep the car beyond the factory warranty period and the motor needed to be replaced or some other major service...If the bill was $3000 can you afford to write the check?

If you decide that the ext warranty is for you, make sure you only get the factory backed warranty. Not some fly-by-night aftermarket company that has no incentive to keep you happy...remember if you get a Toyota warranty they have a vested interest in keeping you happy so you will continue to buy toyota's....the aftermarket company has no such incentive except to pay out as little as possible to stay in business.
  • voicemailkingvoicemailking Member Posts: 83
    Go to www.insurancepoliciesonline.com put in year and mileage, you will get choices, it is an AON warranty. I had one on my sons 99 Integra, which was just recently wrecked. We used the warranty twice in the 1 1/2 years we had it, and in the 2 times it paid over $1800.00.....I am in the process now of adding the warranty to a Mazda 6......

:):):)
    I just bought a 2006 Grand Prix and am interested in an extended warranty. After reading and researching I realized it wasn't smart to buy an extended warranty from the dealer, but I wasn't prepared for what they offered me.

They offered a 5yr/75,000ml ET (bumper-to-bumper)for approx. $1600. The kicker was that if you didn't use it by then, they refund 100% of your money. I've been to Warranty Direct, Black Pontiac GM Outlet, and Capper Auto Center and I can not find a bumper-to-bumper for less than $1600.

Is this a good enough deal from the dealer to forget everything I've read on these forums? Please advise. After I initally turned it down, they informed me that I can still buy it until I get to 36,000 miles.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    I can almost assure you that they offered you a NON GM Factory warranty.What is the name of the warranty???
    I just purchased a 5 year 60,000 mile Maximum Care for $740.00. I checked three of the webs Chrysler mfg. warranties and
    "chryslerservicecontracts.com" was the lowest of the three. It was fast and simple. I also purchased ten lube/oil/filter Chrysler maintenance. coupons for $150.00 which comes out to $15.00/visit.(good at any Chrysler dealer in the USA).
    I drive about 12000 miles/year and will only keep same for 4 to 5 years and the PT Cruiser does not have a stellar maintenance record. Peace of mind!!
    Well my car has over 24,000 miles on it so the extended warranties are obviously a lot more expensive.
    Hum. I just looked at GMOUTLET and for a 2006 Grand Prix with less than 12 mo/12000 miles, their pricing for a 60 mo/75000 bumper to bumper is about $1070 with $0 deductible. This is for the GMPP factory plan. The list is about $1540.
  • escambiaguyescambiaguy Member Posts: 35
    Has anyone used Coverage One sponsored by AC Delco? I got the best price through them for my 04 Chevy Venture w/ 26k miles. Factory warranty expires in Nov 06. 48months and 100k miles came to $1137, includes seals,gaskets and high-tech. I have up to 60 days for refund. Only drawback is I have to take it to a mechanic who uses AC Delco parts.
    Before you purchase Coverage One or any other warranty, I strongly suggest that you go to the repair or service garage that is going to do your repairs, maintenance or whatever... and MAKE SURE that they will ACCEPT that particular warranty. Most repair shops have to go thru a lot of phone calls, permission to do the work, what parts they can use, etc., etc. Sometimes there is a long waiting period. BE SURE!!
    Thank you very much for the info. :)

Is on-line price is final or do I have to contact their sales department for any price negotiations?
  • escambiaguyescambiaguy Member Posts: 35
    They actually give a list of the "preferred" service centers on their website. It includes addresses and phone numbers. I will make some phone calls tomorrow. One reason I choose them was because it said plainly on their website no phone solicitation. After haggling on the phone with several others who didnt want to take no for an answer, that was a good selling point.
  • voicemailkingvoicemailking Member Posts: 83
    they do not negotiate..the price you see is final, and eithera certified mechanic can take the warranty, or any BMW dealer will accept it

:):)
  • johnburnsjohnburns Member Posts: 1
    just bought a 2003 Jag S-type with 44,500 miles and 9 months left on Factory Warranty. I want to get an extended warranty, based on the many problems I find in these forums. I have done considerable research and narrowed down my choices, however, there is one warranty site which I can't seem to find any additional info - good or bad. Has anyone in this forum heard of or dealt with:

http://www.jaguarextendedwarranty.com/

They offer two types of Extended Warranty for Jags - one is EasyCare, which uses equivalent parts - then they also offer Jaguar ExtraMile, which uses only Jaguar parts. Both offer 3 year or 5 year, 100,000 miles contract with $0 deductible or $100 deductible. The Jaguar ExtraMile appears to be very much like the Jaguar extended coverage offered at the time of original purchase. This is offered by Bergen Jaguar in Paramus, New Jersey. Any information or comments about this warranty would be appreciated.

For the record, the others I am considering are WarranyDirect and WarrantyWarehouse.
  • dominique3dominique3 Member Posts: 2
    You have a lot of expertise in this warranty arena and I would appreciate your advice. I am considering purchasing a used 2003 MBZ 320 sedan and most have 45-60K miles on them. The mfr warranty will be expiring soon or has already expired. Will you recommend a good company to purchase an extended warranty from? I live in Calif. Thanks.
    Do you know you're responding to a post over 3 years old?
    Thank you very much for your help.
  • dominique3dominique3 Member Posts: 2
    Oops- didnt realize till later- too much on the plate right now while looking for good reliable jazzy car to purchase:)
  • mvcarsmvcars Member Posts: 7
    Hey Folks, Does anyone know of any of specific extended warranty programs offered by VW itself ?! For eg, Honda offers extended warranty program such as Honda Care for Honda and Acura vehicles.. I was wondering VW had similar offering.

My VW Passat 2001 came with 50k factory warranty and I had 80k extended warranty.. the car's running 82k miles right now.. so it is beyond factory provided warranty and I realize I'm late in seeking out for further extended warranty but better late than never.. The car hasn't had much issues but I'd just prefer a peace of mind by having an extended warranty, preferably from VW if they offer one.. If you folks have good experience and pricing with any of extended warranty 3rd party providers, please feel free to enlighten me.. Thanks much in advance !!
    The verbage I have seen on GM, etc. extended warranties either require you buy the extended before the factory warranty expires. Also, if you have an extended warranty you 'might' be able to purchase an extension IF you do it before it expires. Some of the on-line sellers I have seen do not require that you prove mileage, but require that you enter the correct mileage. I would guess that having work done at the dealer with 81K miles then certifying on a form that you only have 79.5K miles could constitute fraud and be easy to prove.

Most of us here would probably advise that purchasing a 3 party warranty especially at this late a date and mileage would probably be expensive and risky, but the choice is up to you.

Just had a thought. I've seen some folks post that they have gotten mechanical breakdown coverage through their auto coverage company at a reasonable price. Might not be as risky either...just another option to check.
  • mvcarsmvcars Member Posts: 7
    yea, i am not looking to tweak around mileage while seeking out warranty.. i also realize that it might be expensive to purchase an extended warranty at this late in the game. i am simply looking for options/suggestions...i too have come across posts where ppl have seeked out gieco which offers decent enough mechanical breakdown coverage.. i m thinking of checking that out. i have insurance with AAA, so getting a good quote of gieco's mech coverage might require me to make a auto-insurance switch though..
  • selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    Have you had any luck purchasing an extended warranty?

I also have a low mileage 525.

I am trying to get smart on the pricing.

Thanks
  • doubleucubeddoubleucubed Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I worked hard to get a low price on a 2006 Jeep Rubicon. Then had to pay $1995 for 7/70 extended warranty!! was I getting hit to make up for the sale, or do Chrystler warranties cost that much?? and its $100 deductible!! for that money i think they should pick me up a home!! geeez..any thoughts on this would be appreciated

Thanks!!
    Hi, I worked hard to get a low price on a 2006 Jeep Rubicon.
    Then had to pay $1995 for 7/70 extended warranty!!
    You didn't have to buy the service contract. The contract itself will have a box stating that you agree you didn't have to purchase the contract to get the car. It'll be right by your signature. The dealer may have told you that you had to buy the contract when they legally can't do that.

was I getting hit to make up for the sale, YES

or do Chrystler warranties cost that much?? YES, there is tremendous markup on service contracts. You could have negotiated the price.

and its $100 deductible!! for that money i think they should pick me up at home!! You have a point there...

geeez..any thoughts on this would be appreciated

Service contracts are serious moneymakers for the companies selling them. Chances are good that a) you'll never use it. b) you'll trade in your vehicle before it's out of factory warranty or c) the claims you have won't exceed the $$ you shelled out for the contract to begin with. In fact, some contracts I've read have that stipulation.

More often than not, your money is better left in an interest bearing account and saved for a rainy day. That way YOU control when it is spent, YOU control what parts are used, YOU control who works on your vehicle.
  • sspirosspiro Member Posts: 13
    "More often than not, your money is better left in an interest bearing account and saved for a rainy day. That way YOU control when it is spent, YOU control what parts are used, YOU control who works on your vehicle". I have a 2002 Audi TT out of factory warranty. There was no question that I was going to purchase an extended warranty because parts and labor are very expensive for this car. I bought one through Warranty Direct (this is not an advertisement). Last week, a instrument cluster and steering pump went to the tune of about $1600.00. All was covered and I paid $50.00. The process was as smooth as silk and my Audi dealer did the servicing. There's no doubt in my mind that, at 52,000 miles on my car with an extended warranty good until 100,000 miles, I'll be getting much more than what I paid for the extended warranty. Aside from that, the peace of mind makes it worth it as well.
    This is why I say 'more often than not'. Most people will not have the 'luck' you have had. Most buyers of service contracts will not see such a return.

I put zero value on handing someone your money to give you 'peace of mind' when car repairs are needed. Peace of mind comes from financial stability (in part); it does not come from having someone else's promise to take care of you. The same money, put in a bank, would be readily available as well as earning a bit of interest.
    Who do you refer to when you say "most buyers"? Did you take a poll? Back up what you say. Is it most Audi TT owners? Perhaps, most Mercedes or Porsche owners? When the expenses involved in fixing such cars run high, it makes sense to me and a lot of people to get extended warranties. Don't believe me? Check the Audi, BMW, and Porsche forums here and in other places where I think you'll see a majority of owners find it necessary to have extended warranties if they plan on keeping their cars beyond the factory warranties. Peace of mind certainly does come from a promise of others taking care of you. Were it not so there wouldn't be an insurance industry. Let's see, if I put aside the $1600.00 that my warranty paid on car repairs at 5% interest or so and then ended up having to use it in a year, I'd be left with a pittance plus the worry of paying for the next expensive repair in the offing such as a $4000.00 engine rebuild when the notorious belt tensioner breaks and the timing belt snaps. No, that's not for me. My extended warranty worked impeccably well for me and it worked immediately at a total cost to meof the deductible, $50.00. Extended warranties are a great investment if you happen to own a costly-to-repair car and/or a car which has a high frequency of repair record, such as an Audi TT, where a glove box replacement costs $1000.00.
    Basic logic tells me that if most buyers of ext. warr. had your recent luck, then many warranty companies would go out of business and the cost of a warranty would sky rocket.

But that isn't happenning and almost all brands are good enough for most of their vehicles to make it to 100K miles w/o a major repair (IMHO).

Everyone has a different opinion about whether an ext. warr. is worth it, but I do agree with you that many people feel the peace of mind it brings is worth the cost. Me personally though, I'm with the previous poster.
    My point is that I don't think you can lump all buyers together. There are certainly specific makes and models of cars which have higher frequencies of repairs and/or more costly repairs per part than other makes and models. In this case, I think an extended warranty is a necessity. On an Audi TT, an instrument cluster costs $700.00-$1000.00 to replace and it's not unheard of for owners to have to replace them three or four times. I mentioned the cost of a glove box replacement previously which tends to break with some frequency. The Audi has Haldex (quattro). If that breaks, oh no, I don't even want to think about it. See my point here?
    See my point here?

What I see is that you have convinced yourself that the law of averages is way against you and you will have at least one major repair on every vehicle you own. To me, the law of averages has been on my side for every vehicle I've ever owned. Lucky? Maybe. But if I ever do have to replace an engine or tranny, I'll still consider myself way ahead. If I had bought an extended warranty for every vehicle I've owned, I'd be about $40K poorer.

But it works for you, so I'm happy for you.
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    Well put, Mike. Some of the folks who are posting to this thread apparently don't understand a fundamental axiom of casualty insurance: pay a 3rd party to protect yourself from genuinely catastrophic losses & self-insure against everything else.

In my case, I carry the best available homeowner's coverage because the cost of rebuilding my home after a major fire could easily exceed $300K, & that would bankrupt me. But a $1K or $2K car repair is, at worst, a nuisance.

Real financial peace of mind comes from a strong balance sheet: ample savings & little or no debt. When I hear someone who's purchased a car that costs well north of $30K insist that he needs a service contract to protect himself from the occasional $1K repair, I have to suspect that he's made the proverbial dog's breakfast of his personal finances.
    "When I hear someone who's purchased a car that costs well north of $30K insist that he needs a service contract to protect himself from the occasional $1K repair, I have to suspect that he's made the proverbial dog's breakfast of his personal finances.". Your suspicion is incorrect in my case. First, I don't need it, but it's sensible for me to have it given the frequency of repair record and the cost of repairs to the car I have. Further, what is considered not to be "catastrophic" to one person may be to another person. The purchase of an extended warranty is an individual decision based upon individual circumstances, no? People keep talking about the proverbial "law of averages". I think there are cars where the average rate of failure or average cost to fix are above the norm. Am I incorrect in this assertion? If not, than, for example. a $2500.00 investment in an extended warranty doesn't seem the illogical move some posters here would have us believe. I am convinced, based upon my knowledge of my car, that I will have, at a minimum, at least three or four more costly (over $1000.00) repairs on the car and they could easily come within 10,000 miles more of driving. And, yes, I bought the car anyway knowing there might be these difficulties down the line because I was willing to deal with them with an extended warranty.