Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX Maintenance and Repair

1789101113»

Comments

• biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    Probably just some crap in the gas or other one time anomaly.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    The '09 TSX had a problem with the pattern of the dashboard being reflected onto the plastic cover for the navigation screen under certain sunlight conditions, causing the screen to be almost unreadable. They removed the plastic cover for the 2010 TSX, but there is apparently a TSB for a workaround for the '09. Does anyone have a copy of the TSB, or can post a link to the TSB?
  • gbosilgbosil Member Posts: 88
    Anybody experiencing warped / vibration in their rotors? I noticed a problem ar 3K miles on my 2010 TSX. I broke the car in properly as I am a car fanatic! No heavy braking. The brakes seem to fade to vibration when braking at 40+ miles and hour or more and get worse the more I apply pressure. I had the same problem on my 07' TLS when I bought it new.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    It is a known problem for the 2nd gen. tsx. I am not exactly sure what is being done but if your go to the acurazine website it is mentioned there. I own a 06 tsx with the original brakes and rotors with 107K miles
  • sweeneydjsweeneydj Member Posts: 3
    funny you mention this.
    I own an 04 tsx...I just had new brakes put on at 76k miles. Within one year, my brakes were making all kinds of noise. I'm told the brake pads show NO signs of wear..but the rotors are warped. I've driven less than 8K miles this past year. I couldn't believe it.
    Not sure what's up with Acura's and brakes...???
  • dtp55dtp55 Member Posts: 2
    My daughter has a 2004 Acura TSX and recently has had a problem with the A/C going out. Also when this happens the thermometer on the dash goes out. Sometimes I can turn the engine off and restart it and the A/C comes back on but this doesn't work everytime. It's a very random problem and really no way of knowing when it's going to go off or come back on.
    Has anyone else had this type of problem? I have taken it to the Acura dealership and they have a part ordered but it's on backorder. They tell me that this may or may not fix the problem because this recall part is actually supposed to address another problem with the dash lights going out.
    I would appreciate any info anyone might have on this.
    go to the acurazine website-it has been discussed there-the 04 tsx seems to have a/c problems
  • sbrodiesbrodie Member Posts: 13
    Have you checked your battery and/or alternator. Mine(same year) acted up when the battery was dying.
  • franquimariefranquimarie Member Posts: 3
    I also have a 2004 tsx and mine went out completely. At first it was random now Acura of Peoria tells me I need a new unit. Google 2004 acura tsx ac and you'll find that its beyond a major issue with 04 to 06 models.
    Now I've learned that for it to be a recall, it as to be a safety issue. However, Acura corporate is aware and in some cases I've read that they will pick up the cost, others not at all.
    In my case, my service advisor, Vance, told me that because of my "lack of loyalty to their service dept." Acura will cover half. Therefore my cost would be $2200.00. Unacceptable when this is a manufacture defect and Acura is aware of it.
    I've been torn and thinking I should trade it in on a BMW or even a Toyota Camry but I just feel I can't consciously let Acura get away with this.
    I let my service advisor know that I would rather take the $2200.00 and hire a lawyer and go to our local news channel before I give them a dime.
    Just another tidbit to add....It was the service advisor who put the bug in my ear that the ac unit is a known problem because of a metal piece that grinds into, I believe, the compressor which evaporates the ac fumes.....Seriously this guy went into detail and with just about EVERY complaint, others state the same thing...metal shavings.
    Wish I was computer saavy in the way to contact all these Acura owners and start a class action suit. Hmmm
    did you look at the acurazine website-it is discussed there. I think there is even a post looking for people that had problems with the a/c. I am lucky, so far. (knock-on-wood). The a/c on my 06 tsx with 108K miles works excellent. Use it a lot here on the coast of North Carolina.
    I have a 2010 TSX Crystal Black Pearl 11K Miles. The front end looks like a shotgun went off on it from some highway driving. One of my Foglights just cracked down the middle from a stone. Paint looks like it has one coat of Clear Coat and one Coat of paint. I am highly dissapointed in the quality of Acura. It seems they are cutting corners. I just called the dealer and they said they will look at the foglight and make a decision if they will cover it or not. As far as the paint they should repaint my front end! This is crazy! Please share any of your paint / foglight experiences :lemon:
  • civic2kcivic2k Member Posts: 18
    I think I posted here soon after my transmission was rebuilt, but here's a summary of what happened

00. My car is an 08 TSX 6-speed, purchased new (paid a bit more than I should have because it was the combo I was looking for), 26k miles, 23k miles when problems crept up.

01. Back in January/February of this year, third gear started to grind really bad. I took it to a dealership with otherwise decent reviews. They made me drive it in a few times (a huge convenience since it was the opposite way from work, so I drove ~170 miles each day those days). They took it in for a rebuild, and when they had it in they said the clutch was shot and needed replacement. I argued that's impossible, the car has 23k miles (and I *DO NOT* drive hard, and over half of the miles on the car were highway miles). The service advisor went on to say I have to "pay to play," and that it's "obvious" I had fun with the car. Acura Corporate was useless, took over a week to "research" and concluded by saying dealership is their eyes and ears so they can't do anything at all.

02. I paid for the clutch replacement (no choice), picked up the car on a cold day and EVERY SINGLE GEAR SHIFT was rough, with the occasional shift blocked. I've driven stick for a long time but never had to have a transmission repaired/clutch replaced, and since the service department was gone for the day I drove home and assumed it needed to break in. The clutch engagement point is basically a centimeter off the floor, and clutch engagement felt "slushy."

03. Took it back to the dealership a few days later, and the same service advisor said this is all normal (surprise) and that new clutches SHOULD engage right off the floor. He didn't even take it in, just drove it out the drop off place and said it was fine. I realized that reverse now grinds often when I engage it, and rough shifting (especially in 3-4) ensued.

04. Soon after, I took it to yet another local dealership. Told them the whole story, and asked them to check it. They drove it around, I *HEARD* the shifter clunking, but the tech said everything was fine. They changed the MTF as a "one time courtesy," and as I watched it looked like engine oil - yellow and all (I'm told it should be a different color?) The clutch seemed "normal" now (albeit the ridiculously low engagement point), and the shifts felt smoother. Still way off from the smooth, buttery shift I was used to, and the clunking, blocked/rough shifts ensued. Of course, looking back at their service order they said the MTF in it previously was fine. Considering how rough it was in cold weather prior, I'm certain it was regular engine oil in my transmission box for 1k miles in sub-zero temperatures.

05. I took it back two more times, but each time the techs claimed "everything was fine."

06. Decided to take it to yet ANOTHER dealership, and guess what? These guys are saying it feels fine to them too. I suspec

I paid almost $30k for this car new all said and done, and I *HATE* driving it because the shifting is completely botched up. It's obvious how bad the engagement is of every gear, but how do I fight the "well *I* don't feel anything wrong with your car, so it's OK" argument? I don't want to trade it in, and don't want to pay $3k for a rebuild THAT SHOULD BE COVERED UNDER WARRANTY!!!

My dream car is now my nightmare. :sick:
    I think one of the biggest complaints is the lousy paint that chips easy. If I had known sooner I would have invested in a clear bra. I own a 06 tsx, bought new 11/06. Both foglights cracked within the first 6 months. The dealer replaced them free as a one-time goodwill. I then put rockblocker (no longer in business) on them.
    My car now has 108K+miles with the original brakes and runs excellent.
    edited July 2010
    "If I had known sooner I would have invested in a clear bra."

Now cut that out, young lady! All the nuns that run this place are all blushing. :blush: :P
    Acura has been cutting corners on quality for years. As a supposedly luxury brand, it's laughable.
    Don't get me wrong Acura in general is still a great car for the money. I love my TSX but noticably the quality is slipping. The paint job sux... period. Even their external body hardware is very chincy! Optioned out you are saving 10K vs the competition but that shouldn't compromise quality.
    do not want something that is noticeable but gives lots of support.
    edited July 2010
    Good value in terms of equipment for your dollar, but since about the '01 CL-S, there have been plenty of complaints about chipping paint, poor leather quality, rattles galore, draining batteries. I'm not sure Acura has exorcised any of those issues.
    "do not want something that is noticeable but gives lots of support.'

Lordy, Lordy, Lordy...be still my beating heart. :blush:
  • 1bythesea1bythesea Member Posts: 52
    My 2010 TSX has had the 09-019 TSB for body frame popping/clicking sound done, 08-027 TSB beverage holder lid won't open, and have just been diagnosed with a bad right strut (11,000 miles) where weld burrs were also noticed in the area and will be taken care of at strut replacement. Thank goodness I haven't had the engine pinging problem! It appears there were 20 TSB's for the TSX in 2009. Maybe it's partly due to the new gen design, but obviously some of these have still not be corrected on the 2010's. Overall, I do like the car. Just hope this is the end of sloppy building.
    Thanks for the heads up nj2pa2nc.
    Here's an update. I call another Acura service dept. and he also said it's not secret that theres a problem with the ac unit and when I asked him how much out the door labor, parts etc...he quoted me 2200.00 and also said that Acura might pick up the cost in "good faith". Whatever, good faith they'd fix it for nothing.
    Anyway, the original service advisor told me the cost was 4500.00 and acuras good faith would charge me 2200.00. So now another letter to their General manager. However, Im still driving with no ac in Az and its 115 out.
  • steve1steve1 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for all of this info about the TSX. I'm considering buying one of these but reading about some of these problems makes me hesitate a bit. A car in this price range should not be having problems like those described in some of these messages. I'm not saying it should be perfect, but 20 TSB's in 2009 seems like a bit much.

It reminds me a bit of the 2003 Accord (my current car). That was the year the Accord was completely redesigned and it was plagued with tons of rattles, vibrations, and other types of noises both inside and outside of the car. Mechanically, the car was very sound but some of the noises just drove people absolutely nuts (window rattles, dashboard rattles, and other various noises that seemed impossible to find and fix).

Part of me wants to just get another Accord but I don't really like the latest styling so I've been looking at the TSX. It still sounds like it's a very solid car but, again, at the $30K price range and the "entry-level luxury" tag, you shouldn't have chipping paint, rattles, and some of the other issues described here.

Good luck in getting all of these things addressed and thanks for sharing the info. It's very helpful for people like me who are considering buying a TSX. You would think that Acura would equal Honda quality times 2, but I guess not.
    I first looked out the tsx when the 04 model (first year) came out. I wanted the Milano Red but it only came with the light interior. I am glad I waited. I have a 06 Milano red/ebony 6MT/nav tsx, bought new 11/06. It did have a dashboard rattle in the beginning. The dealer was able to fix it and no more rattles (knock-on-wood). Love the car after 108K+problem free miles. I learned not to buy a car in it's first model year. I am planning to buy a 2011 tsx to be picked up on 6/23/11 (my birthday).
  • blustuartblustuart Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 TSX that has 41800 on the clock. The car recently started making a popping sound when turning. I had the tires replaced and all the brakes replaced. The popping sound did not disappear so the car was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. They told me that the problem (they think) was because I had not used Acura pads when the brakes were done. I had my mechanic replace the pads with the Acura pads and the problem still persists. My mechanic checked that everything was tight CV joints etc. Acura couldn't find anything wrong so now I'm hoping that someone out there may have had the same problem or may have another idea.

Hope you guys can assist.

Thanks
  • blustuartblustuart Member Posts: 2
    I can't give you an answer for your problem but I would suggest that you call Acura customer service and tell them of the problem that your having with the dealer. I'm at present having a problem with my dealer and I got them involved in the situation. So far they have been very receptive to my situation. Hey if they at least get the dealer to get on the ball with it your ahead. 800- 332 2238. Hope it helps.
    Did you go to the acurazine website-one of the complaints with 04 tsx is burning oil and also the a/c not working. I think it is the first model year bugs. I own a 06 tsx, bought new 11/06. It still has the original brakes with almost 109K problem free miles. Love it. The acura dealer I go to is excellent. They go out of their way to be helpful.
    On several occasions now on a cold engine when I start the car is just keeps turning over for about 6 - 8 seconds and then fires..... sputters and then is fine. Anybody else experience this problem? I took it into the dealer yesterday to get it looked at and will keep you posted.
  • acuratsx06vaacuratsx06va Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I was just told that my Acura TSX 06 ac unit blew up in a matter of seconds, and the dealer is trying to charge me 3500. They also said they are looking into good faith. Im crushed because the vehicle only has 50,000 miles on it and its never had any major problems. My husband and I are thinking of never buying an Acura or Honda again if they don't pay for it. We've always taken it to the dealership for every scheduled maintenance.
    Since you have taken the car to the dealership for all the maitenance, there will be a better chance of having it covered under goodwill. Did the dealer determine what the cause of the problem. I have heard of rocks hitting some part causing the a/c to stop working (not sure of which). Hoping my 06 tsx keeps going problem free. It will be 5 years old on Nov. 17th and now has 127,000 miles. I also have all the service done by a acura dealer. Love it.
  • astropupastropup Member Posts: 11
    I'm looking for a new car and these forums have been very helpful, especially to get a feel for problems that might occur with various vehicles. But, it's often hard to tell if some cars are really problematic, or if it's just that bad news that gets broadcast here. So, in the interest of balance, here's my report on my 2007 TSX. I bought it new in 07 and it has not given me a single problem in 65000 miles of ownership. It's been the most trouble free car that I've owned.

I'm not too jazzed about Acura's current offerings, but after reading the horror stories in the Audi and BMW forums, I'm reconsidering as my TSX has been more reliable than a pair of scissors.
    I agree-Own a 06 Tsx, bought new 11/17/06. I have all the service done by a acura dealer. It now has 138,000+ problem free miles. It will soon need its 1st brake pad replacement.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    My '08 TSX has about 61K miles on it, and the only thing I've had to do to it is replace the battery and have collision damage fixed from having hit a coyote on the freeway.

Everything works & has all along.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • fredlangfredlang Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2009 Acura TSX -- and for the past 3 years I have been filling up with 87 octane. I didn't realize until now that the TSX should have higher octane.

Does anyone know if this could cause engine issues?
    Is higher octane REQUIRED or RECOMMENDED ? and whats the difference?

should i sell this car now (if i can get a fair price) or will the car hold its value even if I used different gas?

and, if its okay to use 87 and cause no harm to the car....why would i use higher, and is it worth it?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help with this complex question!!
    From personal experience- own a 06 tsx, bought new 11/17/06. I have all the service done by acura dealers. I get compliments on how my car is maintained and looks. I average over 30mpg. Car still has original brakes, runs excellent with almost 139,000 miles. I use 87 octane. 91 or higher is recommended not required
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    You would use 91 octane to get the full performance from the vehicle (car likely won't make the rated 201HP on regular). Also, some folks have gotten slightly better mileage using premium - as always YMMV. :shades:
  • brittlizbrittliz Member Posts: 2
  • brittlizbrittliz Member Posts: 2
    I have an Acura TSX 06 and for the past three summers on hot days my vehicle acts strange. I am in sales so I drive around to customers offices 6 to 8 hours a day. In the summer, on hot days, sometimes i sit in my car and take cae o customer calls, emails, etc for anywhere between 10-40 minutes. I leave my car running bc its hot andhumid outside. I turn my car off, go into my clients business for 10-40 min. and when I come out to start my vehicle sometimes I have no problems and sometimes my car chuggs and souns like it is trying to start and the dies. I will sometimes have good luck and can give it some gas and it starts running again to at least make it to the next stop. Othertimes, I try t give it gas and it will slowly start and I can drive a few feet and the engine will die. But this past week, I tried to start the car and give it gas several times and it was never able to start. I ended up toeing it to my Acura dealership and once we had it in the parking lot I tried to start it up and it started fine. VERY FRUSTRATING! This is the second tim I have had it toed to Acura. Last summer they had my car for a week and they said they could not find a thing wrong with it. The battery is new, I have never missed a maintenance seervice call since I have had the vehicle. Any ideas what this could be? Anyone else had similar problems and figured out the issue?
  • mjoshimjoshi Member Posts: 44
    Based upon age of vehicle and what you are describing, I think you start with looking at battery first. It might be time to get new one.
  • delekodeleko Member Posts: 20
    This may sound overly simplistic, but since you mentioned sitting with AC on... I was advised to turn AC off prior to starting the engine because it's a big strain on the battery. So might try turning off AC and see if that helps. I was doing the same thing.
  • bobjones4bobjones4 Member Posts: 1
    Ask Acura to do a Load test on your battery. I've noticed my car was slow to crank I.e. turn over on hot or cold days. All other battery tests that were done at the dealership passed with out issue. However the Load test for me failed. Replacement battery was given and now my car start up with no delay.
  • spedprofspedprof Member Posts: 16
    Folks,

Just brought my 2012 TSX for a B12 service with 28,000 miles. Dealer recommended a "Fuel/emission system service" for about $240. Car is on a lease to be returned at 45000 miles or so. They said they do it outside with some special equipment.

Is this necessary or were they "upselling"? Can I do some of it myself with a quality fuel injector cleaner?

Thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

It's an upsell and yes you can do it yourself. You will notice that this item does not appear in the factory maintenance schedule.