Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Uplander/Pontiac Montana SV6/Saturn Relay/Buick Terraza

Comments

• bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    You can get the crossbar option on the Freestyle. I've used mine lots of times.
  • kcoreykcorey Member Posts: 130
    I've had my Terraza since February and have not had any such problem. Get the car back to the dealer... it"s covered under Buick guarantee.
  • shreddershredder Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone know when the new SV6s will be available in Canada?

Thanks,
    Shredder
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Should be arriving soon. Is there a reason you want a 2006 vs a 2005? Perhaps a 3.9L version?
  • ponsv6ponsv6 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone please tell me where the fuse box is in my 05' Montana SV6? I know where the under the hood fuses are located I just can't seem to find the the other one. The Owners Mannual says "under the Instrument Panel on the passender's side..... What? :confuse:
  • shreddershredder Member Posts: 11
    yeah, looking for the 3.9L, plus the better safety stuff, included DVD player, etc.

Would be nice to get any bugs from the 2005s cleaned up too.

Shredder
  • blueskierblueskier Member Posts: 1
    :D I just bought an SV6 and my dealer tells me that too many people complained about the noise the crossbars made in the past, so they opted to remove them. They are available as an option (which I took since the $500 carrier I have would be rendered absolutely useless without) and I must say I am suitable impressed with the relative ease of getting the bars on and off. As a result, I now am storing the bars attached to the carrier and cliping the whole thing on at once when I need it. Since the bars go on the car easier than the carrier goes on the bars, I can now get the carrier on the van much faster!

As to how to get one after the fact, and at what cost, I'm no good to you there, but if your local dealer can't figure it out, I'd say GM had best be doing some remedial training in their show rooms... It seems like a pretty simple request!
    blueskier : I had the same issue with our 2004 Montana. Crossbars are very noisy on the highway. It's ok, probably saves a bit of gas with them off anyway.

shredder : 3.9L would be a nice option for sure. Should see the 2006s any day now. Call your dealer, they know what's coming.
  • carradiocarradio Member Posts: 2
    Bought a demo two weeks ago that had been in service since April and noticed the same curling action on the trim especially on the trim at the rear. I am watching it to see how far it moves.
  • lilolbrennlilolbrenn Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased cross--bars for my 2005 Buick Terraza. They run $168 for two and come with all the hardware.

The dealer had a hard time locating them in their computer. They are listed under a unusual spot according to the dealer.

I bought mine at Dow Lewis Yuba City CA
  • lilolbrennlilolbrenn Member Posts: 6
    I purchased a 2005 Buick Terraza and to my dismay 3 days later I noticed that the vehicle pulls to the right. I thought this was a simple alignment problem so I took it into the dealer.

They checked everything over and could not find the problem. It was not alignment
    problems. The dealer called GM and GM stated they are aware that the vehicle is pulling to the right as they have had noted complaints. They stated they are looking into the problem but there is no solution at this time.

You will also find the 2006 does the pull as well. They seem to think it may lay in with the traction control. I have turned off my traction control and the vehicle does not pull as much to the right.

GM said check bad at a later time for a resolution.
  • cla1cla1 Member Posts: 27
    Our Terraza is now about 9 months old and has never had a pull off center. It is one of the nicer driving vehicles we've had for road trips. Don't let GM off the hook, drive some other ones if the dealer has some. I can't believe this can't be fixed. I'm suspicious of the steering gear as the problem, not alignment. It could also be a bad tire I guess.
  • tiscotisco Member Posts: 4
    Good luck, and let me know if the dealer finds a solution to the problem, I have been complaining about the pull since mine was new. Dealer is not being cooperative and claims it is road crown, the funny thing about it though is if the road crowns towards the left van drives strait. I am baffled, a friend of mine said maybe that there is a proportioning valve in the rack and pinion that may need to be checked, but I do not have an illustrated parts manual to see if the Terraza has a proportioning valve. Anyone else have a GM mini van that seems to steer right all the time??
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    Have not been here in a while. Just thought I would let everyone know my Uplander is still running A-ok. My wife drove home from the cottage we were renting last week and I sat in the back and watched a DVD movie. This was great as I was not feeling well and I got to enjoy a movie my wife had no interest in. Since our kids are gone from home, we don't really need the DVD, but maybe some day we will have grandchildren.

Anyway, still enjoying the van. See a lot of them around now so they must be selling ok though some are rentals no doubt. Anyone seen or driven a 3.9L version yet?
  • mobile1mobile1 Member Posts: 4
    Ok Folks! Here ya go! I have had my uplander since mid January and now have 6700 miles on it. The flickering headlights issue has been taken care of by the dealer. Well I have some new material to share with you folks.In the past few weeks the engine would not start. The battery was ok, the starter sounded normal, and the engine was turning over, but not starting. This was intermittant and happened a few times. A few times too many with 2 kids in the back. Also the electric sliding doors were getting stupid and sometimes were confused whether we wanted to get in or out.Pull the handle and the motor would hum (both sides!!). The most annoying to me was the engine noise at 2100rpm and sometimes during take off. Sounds almost like an exhaust leak but no I dont think so. I took my Uplander into the dealer yesterday to get these items taken care of so that I could get some sleep at night. They completed the reapirs and are as follows in the order listed above. This is exactly from the dealer"updated calibrations for pcm, reprogrammed pcm with updated calibrations". For the electric doors"code b1292 stored in history.Cleared code out for sliding doors and recalibrated doors.For the engine noise" found bulletin for updated pcv valve hose to prevent noise on acceleration. replaced this hose.Bulletin # 05-06-01-005a. Stay with me now folks it gets better. I picked my Uplander today and on the way home I stopped to get it washed. I stepped out and noticed a dent and scratches down to the metal on the front driver side quarter panel.I headed BACK to the dealer and now it sits patiently in the body shop. Is anyone feeling my pain.. I will let you all know if the paint matches. Take care
    You would think they would be honest if they damaged your vehicle rather than just give it back and hope you wouldn't notice. UG!
  • genmtrfangenmtrfan Member Posts: 78
    That is a bit disturbing. What is the manufacture date on yours? We've had our LT since May 31 (mfg Dec 7 '04) and have almost 6k on it with no mechanical issues with the engine or doors. I am glad to know about the bulletin on the PVC hose. GM must be only repairing where there is an issue. I haven't received anything from them on this.

Overall, we're still very happy with our decision to buy the Uplander. We average 20 mpg in town with properly inflated tires and 24/25 with higway driving. I still think it's the best looking minivan on the road and most people who see it make some sort of comment. I think this van, like the G6 has been slow catching on, but is starting to be noticed. It's hard to change your image overnight, but at least GM is trying to do so.
    I agree. We had an '02 Tahoe and liked well.Then we made the mistake and bought an Avalanch. At that time we had only one child and we decided to have another. The Avalanch was a great vehicle, but absolutely not practical with a 2yr old and one on the way. My wife is the primary driver of our Uplander and she tells me that this is her favorite so far. She loves it! I can't wait until those Good Year tires wear out. I bet the ride would be a bit smoother with a better tire. Every time I take it to the local car wash people have to check it out. I know some don't like the new look but it sure looks better to me than anything else in it's class. Good luck with yours and I'll keep you posted on the quality of the repairs. By the way, the paint matched!!
    I will get back to you on the date. It's hard to see it when it's never here in the driveway. I will have to go down to Wal-Mart to find out for you. Take Care.
    Just an update on the Terraza's...I've got about 9,000 miles now...bought it in Feb. 2005. My dealer is great! I bring it in for service, and any problems he takes care of. Which leads me to the latest. I noticed a "clicking" sound from the front end, sort of like a loose shock absorber. Well, New York City is known for its' pot-holes, so the stabilizer links were wearing out. The dealer replaced them... no charge, of course. Then, my sons heard a hissing noise from the back. The dealer found that the hose from the air pump to the rear shocks was kinked. The dealer replaced it...no charge. It's still the nicest car I've ever had (I'm 67), and the grand children love the DVD player. I get about 27 MPG on the highway at about 65 MPH, and about 20 MPG around the city. :)
  • carradiocarradio Member Posts: 2
    I have had the same whistling noise at about 2100 rpm and during acceleration also. Had to take it to the dealer twice before they heard the noise and only when I was riding with them. They are going to perform a updated version of #05-06-01-005a which is 005b. This the replacement of the PCV tube. To replace the tube it also requires the replacement of the Intake(Upper) Manifold. I am taking it in tomorrow and hope this fixes it. Has the noise come back in yours?
  • matthewgmatthewg Member Posts: 3
    I think this van is great and the power is OK but it seems to take a lot of pedal to make it downshift. When crusing at 40 mph or so and you want to accelerate I must "mash" the pedal to kick it into the next lower gear for it to move. The dealer says it's right on as per the factory. Is it just me or does this make it very difficult to drive. It really kills to marginal HP this vans has. Please help. matt
  • cla1cla1 Member Posts: 27
    I've noticed ours is much more sluggish in downshifting than our 02 Silo and our 98 Venture. Not sure why, haven't complained about it to dealer, but definitely reluctant to downshift in comparison.
  • grobinson2grobinson2 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my Uplander for almost a year now and 21,000 miles. For the most part I am happy with the vehicle and it is much better than the Montana it replaced. Mine is actually a company car and about 10 people have them in my office and we are experiencing similar issues:

1. Major rattle in the passenger dash area, almost like the air bag is rattling.
    2. Rattle in the suspension of the front end
    3. Curling body side moldings - read others are having the same issue.
    4. Dimming lights - alternator
    5. Specific to my van, significant air leak in near the passenger lower windshield / dash area. The dash actually gets very cold in the winter months and we leave a small towel on the dash stop the draft.

Any one else experiencing 1, 2, or 5 or have a potential solution to them? I haven't taken it in yet as it is a major inconvience and it is a company car. But I will be shortly and would like to push the dealership in the right direction based on other's experiences.

Thanks
  • ericzoomericzoom Member Posts: 213
    I have problem #1 on my 05 Terraza. It seems like it's coming from the end vents on the pass. side. I don't seem to hear it all the time,so i'll just leave it for now. It's a lease and my wife drives the van mostly and it doesn't seem to bother her very much.
  • hammy233hammy233 Member Posts: 24
    I can relate.....rattle in passenger area is the air bag..mine bounces up and down with bumps..dealer has no idea how to fix this, the mouldings :( ..oh the mouldings after 3 attempts mine are 85%..they`ll be peeling again come this winter...the alternator, don`t even get me going on that one..I am on alternator #4, still no cure :mad: .....as for suspension rattle, not yet, or do I have an "air leak" can you say...... :lemon:
  • hammy233hammy233 Member Posts: 24
    March 16, 2005
    Saturn-Saab Canada
    7496-2 Bath Road
    Mississauga ON L4T 1L2

To Whom It May Concern:
    SUBJECT:2005 RELAY VIN# 5(*&^&D181831
    On or about January 15th my wife and I began the search for the perfect replacement vehicle, we were driving a 2003 Pontiac Vibe at the time but had outgrown its uses. We contemplated Honda Elements, Nissan X-trail and Hyundai Sante Fe, but after careful measuring and discussions we narrowed it down to the Chevrolet Equinox or one of the 2005 CSV’s ,we put together the available packages and configurations…to make a long story shorter we narrowed it down to the Saturn Relay 2 EWB.
    On February 3rd we picked up our 2005 Saturn Relay from MotorCity Saturn of Whitby On, the staff and service were outstanding, now the story. On the night of Feb 4th we were driving home from a friend of ours in the country and noticed a flickering of the lights both dash and headlights, we did not notice this on delivery as it was a bright sunny day. I returned to the dealer the Monday morning to see if the dealer could fix this issue, they advised me they knew nothing about this issue, I went home did my research via internet surfing, voila! An advisory was issued on December 14 2004, it advised dealer service departments that some vehicles were exhibiting some flickering light issues, they did not know the cause, were looking into it..it went on to say the vehicle was safe to drive and that service techs were not attempt any fixes until told by GM.
    On the next day I returned to the dealership and brought them up to speed on my findings, they checked there system and confirmed my findings…Today is now March 16th. I went and home and waited for a fix.
    During the week we noticed the fuel gauge was being very erratic, we were not really sure how much fuel was in the vehicle until the Friday Morning when my wife phoned me at work to advise me the Van would not start and the DIC said “low fuel” when we parked it with just under what we perceived to be a ¼ tank….needless to say my mother –in-law arrived and drove my wife to the gas station to fill the Lawnmower gas can..still did not start....she phoned me back and I advised her to try rolling it onto the street, but be careful because she had limited brakes and steering..she didn`t make past the curb so my Mother-in-law (with Cane in Hand) and her pushed the rest of the way…after it leveled out it fired right up!!
    The service department had no answer for my problem, so I took advantage of the Saturn Exchange policy in hopes that perhaps I had got a lemon….after much searching we found the identical vehicle with the DVD we originally wanted in Belleville via Kitchener .
    On February 18th we received our exchange vehicle only to find out that it too had Flickering Lights, door mouldings peeling off and lower moulding coming off….just before we were about to leave we discovered the Power windows were inoperable. I again returned the next morning, were the Service department discovered the electrical harness had somehow disconnected in the door, they fixed this problem, ordered mouldings for my door and I advised them that I would make an appointment when they could supply me with a Courtesy vehicle.
    Since that time the Flickering lights have progressively gotten worse to point were I have almost been cutoff by Tractor Trailers on the Highway assuming I was flashing them to say it was okay to change lanes…”Very Scary!!!!” on two separate occasion the starter has remained engaged after the engine has started, there is static interference when listening to DVD, coincides with engine RPM`s, a whining whistling with Engine RPM`s , and the fuel gauge is still as erratic as the first vehicle…..a service appointment was scheduled for Tuesday March 22nd 2005.
    It is now September and we are on alternator #3, Radio #2, the DVD still buzzes, the mouldings are again beginning to peel now the headlight lens are spidering/cracking(one already being replaced)
    I have since met with a District Service Manager..who basically looked right through me and said we`ll look into these issues and get back to you.
    We are very dissatisfied and discouraged with this vehicle and the General Motors Corporation, for Gm to make statements that it is safe to drive while not really knowing why these vehicles are exhibiting these lighting issues is in my opinion very bold and dangerous, for Gm to allow these vehicles to leave the assembly plant in Doraville Georgia is unacceptable, for GM to still not have a fix for a potentially dangerous situation is irresponsible.
    Until this problem is rectified I will not and would not refer anybody to purchasing a General Motors product, even if the problem is solved the sour taste in my mouth may keep me from ever giving General Motors a referral.
    I guess until these problems are fixed I’ll try not to drive at night or in the rain, always keeps a minimum of ¼ tank of fuel,not park in sloped drive way, not use my DVD what else? At least the OnStar works..for now! This is a piece of 2005 Modern day technology, not a 1988 Ford Tempo.
    I would appreciate your feedback as soon as possible.

cc: Transport Canada, Nhtsa, GMAC, John Carter LLB
    Wow John,
    I thought I had a bad one. My Terraza had the same flickering light issues and a new alternator solved it...well almost. It does not happen but not as much. You mentioned the starter staying engaged and I was told by the dealer that he answers this question every day and it is normal for the starter to crank after the key is released. Apparently the signal that the engine is running is electronic and is not controlled by the release of the ignition. He sounded sincere and confident what ever that is worth. By biggest hangup is the lack of power when loaded up with 4 or more. For a vehicle designed to haul people, it really doesn't do it with well. Good luck...Matt
    Wow.. talk about a :lemon:

Too bad. Saturn should take care of you though, I certainly hope so.
  • mac30mac30 Member Posts: 1
    Hey
    I have one for ya all,

We live here in Florida and my wife drives her soccer mobile around during the day. When she shuts off the vehicle the gas tanks makes a couple of loud popping noises about 10-20 seconds apart for approximately 1 minute. Anyone else heard of this. She took it to the dealer and of course Murphys law...No noise. My theory is the heat from the exhaust is heating up the tank but if that is the case I would feel it would be a widespread issue...Help
    Thanks
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I see they've added Navigation to the 2006 Buick Terraza CXL and Saturn Relay 3. Is it worth a look? Or should I pony up the extra $$$ for the Odyssey or Sienna?

I drive many miles in a year, and the low price (the sticker's high, but nobody buys a Buick at sticker), long warranty, and availability of the navigation system in the Terraza appeals to me. (And those second row bucket seats look comfortable.)
    Before I bought my Terraza, I was ready to buy a Mercury Premier. Then I looked at the Town & Country, and about a dozen more makes. It seems that all cars are comfortable in the front seats, so I climbed into the middle and back. With 5 grandchildren (and 3 grown children) I wanted plenty of room for them. I was very impressed (and still am), have 9700. miles on it, and any problems have been cheerfully taken care of by my dealer. I'll buy another one. :D
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I'm pretty much set for an Odyssey EX-L NAV-RES.

The high price and skimpy warranty is giving me second thoughts though.

And my current Odyssey is still going, with 80K on the odometer.

Perhaps by 2006 year end closeout I can swipe a deal on a van. (any van)

Will GM roll out employee pricing again as a way to clean house? Its an effective method and if not used too often, will swing buyers on the fence towards GM.
  • 19641964 Member Posts: 2
    Hello All,

My wife and I are interested in taking advantage of the 0% on '05 Uplanders. We test drove a '05 demo with a 3/05 delivery date (an early build date). The Van has 7,500 miles on it. It is a base model with only three options. Climate package, cruise, and keyless remote entry. We loved the van and cut a great deal. Took it for a test drive only to find that it pulls hard to the right on acceleration. Told salesman, but he did not believe until he test drove it himself and confirmed problem. He took it immediately to service to have an alignment done. (second one i might add according to service records.) We both took it for a follow up test drive only to find that it did not correct problem. I did notice that the front tires were quite worn for 7K miles!
    My question is, after reading up on this very helpful forum, and finding others with the same problem, has anyone found a true fix or recall notice? Obviously this is not an alignment issue as some of you may already know. The van drives arrow straight. It only shows up during heavy acceleration situations. I did take a '06 for a ride (same style base van with same options with only 24 miles on it) to do a comparison and it did not torque steer to the right. Is this a chronic problem with these '05 models?

Thanks
    Bob R.
    Bob, We've had our Uplander since May 31, although it was built in Dec. '04. I have not have the problem with the van pulling in either direction during acceleration. I aslo haven't had some of the other problems listed on this site. The only work I've had done is to have the alternator replaced to head off any light flickering problems and had the harmonic balancer torqued per the recall. Occasionally, we do hear some high pitched sounds from the sound sytem, but they are usually brief. It's nothing I would bother to have checked out. I'm really hoping that this vehicle doesn't have intake manifold issues like so many of the earlier Ventures did (mine included).
  • ridgeman4ridgeman4 Member Posts: 1
    It is just inside of the passenger door. Open the door and look at the far right hand side of the dash. There is an access door that you have to remove.
  • 19641964 Member Posts: 2
    Glad to hear your van doesn't have the pulling problem. (or am I :) ) seriously, I wonder why it seems to be so hit or miss on this issue. I am a GM family guy and really am bummed out about this problem. I don't believe you will have the intake gasket problem that plagued the 3.4 engine. GM redesigned the new 3.5 intake passages and does not use the intake to flow coolant like the earlier 3.4 venture motor did. It's funny and a shame that the problem was caused from a "cheap" inferior plastic gasket. I hear that GM now uses aluminum which was what should have been done from the beginning. Does your Uplander have a lot of options that seem to draw a lot of power from the alternator prompting a replacement? Did you have the whistling PCV valve as well?
    That's good news about the redesigned intake manifold. I do have several electrical options, it's an LT. I do not have the automatic leveling system, so no air pump to pull power. I got the alternator changed per the TSB just as a precaution. I have noticed a little flickering of the interior lights, but not the headlights, it's really a minimal issue for us. I assume it has something to do with the re-design of the charging system. From what I've read, it's a new concept that is supposed to make the alternator last longer. Perhaps some of the tech guys on this site could explain it. We have not noticed the whistling PCV valve. I'm not sure how obvious it is, but I am pretty perceptive about strange noises and rattles. The best feature continues to be the DVD system. It was a life saver on our trip to Florida. We have 3 small kids. I just wish I could keep the carpet clean!
    I love my 2005 Terraza. Most of the bugs were worked out on mine so it should be a safe bet. One change I would reccomend is a larger motor. If I would have known the 3.8 was going to be offered in 06 I would have waited. If you are going to haul any weight (well it is a minivan right) get the bigger motor. The 3.5 is really slow and must constantly downshift to accelerate. Good luck...Matt
    My take on the motor is that is has plenty of power as long as you really put your foot into it. I have a theory that GM tuned the engine to react slowly to the accelerator to conserve gas. The 3.5 is rated at 200hp, which should be enough. The Venture only had 185 (it was also lighter) and no one complained about power. The Uplander's throttle is controlled electronically, meaning there is no direct cable from the accelerator to the engine, but rather a computer senses pedal position and rate of increase or decrease and feeds this information to the throttle. This may also have something to do with the reason it seems to accelerate slowly. Once you learn to put your foot into it, at a faster rate, it performs adequately. That said, I also wish I had the 3.9, but really couldn't wait for it.
  • pelinaca1pelinaca1 Member Posts: 3
    We purchased our 2005 Relay in early July. We now have around 1450 miles on it. We have not yet experienced any of the problems posted but I have to admit I am now quite concerned. My Relay was manufactured in Dec. of 2004 We have an after market remote start (this was put in by the dealership before we were even looking at the van). We have the Relay 3 with a healthy amount of options. We don't have the AWD with load leveling suspension, the 6 disc in dash CD changer, Stabilitrak, the Phat Noise system or the optional Navigation system. We do however have every other available option. The "Stow N Go" seating has never been an issue for us as we don't normally do the type of hauling that would require the extra inches of room. We did go to Kmart and bought a new patio set (table and four chairs) all in one large box and the table top was in it's separate large box. Plus we had a whole stash of bags from other items we had bought. There were 4 large adults on that shopping trip that day. I have to admit when I saw the size of the boxes and was looking in at the flat load floor after folding down the two rear seats that I was concerned that perhaps it wouldn't fit (the box was enormous). I was pleasantly surprised when both boxes went right in and there was still room for all the bags of other "goodies". The tailgate closed all the way easily and the two second row captains chairs were able to be left in the full rear position (the seats are adjustable fore and aft via a bar located under the front of each seat as well as a second bar behind the seats, nice feature!) I was truly stunned and amazed! The divided rear cargo holder behind the 3rd row seats has already been put to good use. I have to admit that if I needed more room I could have folded down the second row seats (just couldn't have had all four of us at the time) and if still more was needed they could be tumbled forward which we tried before we even bought it. We found that between the second row seats being adjustable fore and aft and the fact that they fold down and can be tilted forward with relative ease that the third row seat is very easy to get to. If we knew we were going to be carrying something that needed even more room both the second row and third row seats could be removed as well as the storage bin behind the 3rd row seat and we would have a truly enormous amount of room! I really like the high seating position, really gives you a commanding view of the road and the big SUV's don't look so big when I am in it. The dual power doors are fantastic and have come in amazingly handy on a lot of different occasions. The DVD player came in handy when me and another person were left waiting for two others for two hours one day. It allowed us to watch a movie in comfort and the time flew by. By the way, the second row seats also recline making for a variety of comfortable seating positions. I did find via the owner's manual a way to have the doors remain locked until the key is removed from the ignition. This can be done via the personalization options which are accessible through the information display located below the tachometer and using the buttons on the dash above and to the left of the radio (one is marked with the letter "i" and another has up and down arrows on it (this is available if you have the DIC option which is part of the Uplevel vehicles- more information may be found on page 3-67 of the Saturn Relay Owner's Manual). I bring this up because I read in several posts that there was some concern about the doors unlocking when shifting into park. The OnStar has paid for itself in spades and frankly I think is better than navigation in that not only can they give you directions to anywhere you want to go from where you are at the moment as well as telling you where the nearest gas station, restaurant etc. etc. is and even make reservations for you if you need that. Frankly I don't know of any navigation system that will notify help should you be in an accident and you are unable to get the help yourself because you are unconscious etc. Imagine this scenario: You are traveling along at night during snowy weather in a relatively remote area where there are no other cars on the road and you hit a patch of ice etc., lose control and go off the road and hit a tree etc. knocking you unconscious. With OnStar help will be notified and on it's way, without OnStar you are literally left out in the cold, scary! Now that is what I call safety! I am also not aware of any navigation system that should you be having a medical emergency or any other emergency can connect you to police, fire or ambulance etc especially when your cell phone battery is dead and you left the car charger at home or you are outside of your regular cell phone carrier's coverage area. To me, that peace of mind is priceless! I would have liked to have a power rear liftgate however I have noticed that on some models the mechanism protrudes out into the opening of the doorway (I have even noticed them through the rear window of DC minivans) and I can just imagine the time when you have a large package and the extra room taken away from the opening by the mechanism could make the difference between it going in or not. As long as the struts are in good repair the effort needed to open and close the liftgate isn't difficult to speak of. Anyway, I am hoping that I don't experience the troubles I have read about here (some are real horror stories!). I do know that from past experience I have bought a car and later was reading posts much like this and I heard real horror stories there too and that was not an American car. I guess you only hear when things go really wrong and not so much when they don't. It sounds like there were a number of problematic vans built but hopefully it is all relative and not indicative of wide spread problems. This could be why there have only been TSB's and no recalls yet. I sincerely hope so! :shades: I'll keep you posted if anything comes up (I hope not LOL!) :)
  • catcar1catcar1 Member Posts: 3
    I have had nothing but noise in my 05 Terraza. When going over bumps it sounds as if the entire back of the van is falling off! Check out www.nhtsa.gov.

This is a great website and you can see all of the technical bulletins as well as recalls and see what others have had problems with. There is a TSB regarding the rear suspension noise (noise or clunk in the rear suspension).

When I took this back to the dealer, though, he didn't fix it. He just told me that there are so many parts on the Terraza, there is bound to be noises and because so many of the parts are plastic, this will happen! :(
    I purchased my 05 Terraza in February. So far, it has been back in for repairs 12 times!!!

The first were minor problems: chiming when putting the van into gear, sliding door making grinding sounds when closing and the door locks opening and closing when driving. This was related to a bad fuse or sensor, which was replaced and recalibrated. (Although this still happens, so not convinced that this sensor is any good either!)

The car started moving forward when using the remote start, was told that sometimes gas stays in the lines thus causing the forward movement.

Twice had to be returned for repairs regarding the radiator support coming in contact with the frame rail. First time replaced the right support - still had noise. Second time per service bulletin they reworked the frame channel.

Then had a recall on the harmonic balancer bold, which needed retorqued.

At 5819 miles, the brakes began to pulsate and grind when going down hills - found that both front brake rotors were scored and they decided to grind down the rotors rather than replace them.

But the biggest problem was two weeks ago, driving on a Saturday afternoon on a very busy major highway, at about 50 mph the steering completely locked up on me! This caused the van to swerve from side to side, making it all but impossible to control! The van quickly decelerated to about 30 mph and I was in the fast lane! The brakes and the gas also wouldn't work, so I was at the mercy of the other drivers. The traction control light was on, even when I tried to turn the TC off, and the "Service Stability System" light was flashing! Somehow, by the grade of God, I was able to use all of my power to get the van to turn a very hard left and went flying into an empty lot. There I sat, shaking and trembling. I called roadside assistance and they said not to drive it again and they would take care of towing it to the dealer.

Found out that there was a faulty steering wheel sensor in the van and this had to be replaced! I have absolutely no faith in this new part, as the other parts replaced in the van still malfunction. And this is the steering sensor! Talk about safety issues.

Started a case file with Buick, and got nowhere with them. There are satisfied that the new part will be fine and they closed the case. Got nowhere with the dealer, either, as he offered to buy back the van (which I have had for seven months and have only 5979 miles on it) for $16,500.00! What an insult to my intelligence!! This van stickered at just under $30,000.00. Or they offered to put me into an 06 Terraza but I would have to pay the difference of $7,500.00!!!

So, the van now sits in my driveway! I am absolutely terrified to drive it again. I guess Buick will either wait for an injury or a fatality to occur before they realize that there is a MAJOR safety problem with my van.

Has anyone else had any of the problems that I have had, especially the steering problems :cry: ? (I did see on the NHTSA board that one other person also had the same steering problem as me, but I didn't even know about that web site until a friend of mine emailed me the link)
    Yep, also had this problem. Had to have moldings on both sliding doors reglued. They said if they keep coming off they will just order new ones. Good think I don't have a job, since I spend many of my days in the dealership's waiting room!
    Before I bought my '05 Terraza CXL, I owned a '02 Olds Intrigue. When I brought that in for service at 20,000 miles, I had a real problem with the service writer. I went right to the owner of the dealership and he straightened everything out. With my Buick, I have never had any problem with service. I make a list of anything that I want done, and everything has been done. If you're not getting the type of service that you want, go to a different dealer. It doesn't have to be Buick, or the place that you bought the car from. Any GM dealer will be glad to have your business. Hey, you paid a lot of money for you car, and you have a right to have it perform properly. When you bought it, the salesman didn't say anything about rattles or plastic parts, did he? I have the best and quietest riding car that I've ever owned. I only tried the Buick on-line customer service once, and I wasn't too pleased with it... I think they (GM) only have some part-timers working there who just key things into a computer, and hope for an answer. If you're having a problem that the dealer can't resolve, WRITE A LETTER!!
  • morewasabimorewasabi Member Posts: 58
    StabiliTrak issue. My wife had a similar experience with her StabiliTrak system going off on its own. She was driving on the highway, on drive pavement, going straight when the wheels made a grinding noise (brakes pulsating), and the StabiliTrak system light came on. She had to fight the wheel from veering right, she also try to give it gas, but had no response (traction control on these cut fuel off), then the Service StabiliTrak system light came on. She called OnStar to document and to get a diagnosis. They came back and told her to take the car in with in 7 days to get the StabiliTrak serviced. We took it in the next day, and the technician found a reading that the steering sensor had given a “zero out” reading. He tested and everything was in specs. I later read your note and also went to the NHTSA complaint board and printed out a copy of both your Edmunds post and the complaint on NHTSA. The service Manger called GM and opened a case on the car. Found out that they have had issues with a wiring harness rubbing and fraying causing the StabiliTrak system to short out. They checked for the wiring harness on our Terraza and it was ok. So, we’re just going to monitor. Please issue a complaint on NHTSA. I am. Need to keep this documented, as it is a safety issue. Best thing if this happens again is to keep the wheel straight and coast out.
  • goodvibrationsgoodvibrations Member Posts: 14
    Maybe you should have kept the vibe! Friends of mine have purchased a Pontiac Montana SV6 same vehicle. I hope they are not having the same problems. Your displeasure with your vehicle is the reason I would never by any automobile from what use to be the big three, in their first model year. They seem to like to use the customers to work out the bugs.
    Hope everything works out in the end sounds pretty frustrating. :(
  • dave_justdavedave_justdave Member Posts: 29
    Hi everyone, so we have been driving our new 2006 Terraza for about three weeks. We opted for the CXL, with the new 3.9L V6 - more power to pull that boat I am hoping to get some day. So far, everything is fantastic. The leather heated seats are excellent, remote start is great, especially in cold weather, it runs beautifully, does NOT pull to the right, no squeaks or noises, no headlamp flickering, just a great smooth ride with lots of power. I will try and post every few months just to let you know how things progress but I should add that I just returned a Buick Rendezvous after 3 years and other than all 4 hubs being replaced under warranty, I didn't have any problems with it either, despite what you read in these forums. Lets all hope for the best! Dave
  • dirkworkdirkwork Member Posts: 210
    Hey, can we get some comments on how you rate the 3.9 vs the old 3.4 that is in the Rendezvous? Many folks have been waiting for this motor.
  • jk27jk27 Member Posts: 244
    Dave:

I, too, would love to hear any compare/contrast comments you have between the Terraza and the Rendezvous. I currently own a 2002 AWD RDV CXL but I'd like a bit more cargo room. How does the ride/handling compare? Acceleration (I'm assuming with the 3.9, you have a lot more get up and go)? Creature comforts? Visibility? Usable cargo room? Thanks!

Can you share with us what you paid for your 06 Terraza?

I was doing some research and I was bummed to read this snippet from Consumer Reports on the Terraza:

"The Terraza is one of four freshened GM minivans. As with the Chevrolet Uplander, Pontiac Montana SV6, and Saturn Relay, the Terraza is powered by a coarse 3.5-liter V6 engine. A more-powerful 3.9-liter is optional. The heavy second-row seats can be folded and removed, while the third-row seat folds flat on the floor when not in use. It drives very similarly to the Saturn Relay we tested, with a stiff ride and noisy interior. Handling is reluctant. The interior trim is insubstantial. The new snout can't disguise the fact that these are essentially outdated minivans that are not competitive in their class. First-year reliability has been much worse than average."

Thoughts? Other cross-over alternatives with a car-like ride?