Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• enzo77enzo77 Member Posts: 3
    To macarshopper:

The worksheet I got from the dealership did not show anything about advertisement.
  • mustbuysoonmustbuysoon Member Posts: 2
    I am ready to buy the RX330. I am in Orange County but willing to go to LA. Where did you get your car?
  • mustbuysoonmustbuysoon Member Posts: 2
    I will go to LA to get this deal. Which dealership is it?
  • genemachine1genemachine1 Member Posts: 24
    Hello

Is there anyone out there that got a good deal in PA>-NJ area on rx330? Msrp on premium package and other accessories is42,483.00$ Dealer offered 2500.00 off this price. I calculate mark up is about 5000.00 over invoice. I do not mind paying 1000.00over invoice but not 2500.00! Also I only wanted Premium plus pak but dealer said he can only get that with xtras like hid lights, 18 inch wheels etc. what is the story about that! Please respond asap
  • buckeye1buckeye1 Member Posts: 41
    Call or Internet Mission Viejo Lexus, attn: Internet Sales Manager.

I bot RX330, FWD, Prem. Pack and other extras in Oct04 for $400 over invoice. Very nice place to do deal. I would do again in a flash.

originally had planned to go to another "Family" dealership in El Monte, but that place wanted $1000 over invoice.
  • bpatch2bpatch2 Member Posts: 8
    We're still a couple of weeks away from buying our RX330, but we just returned to our home in Utah from a trip to the Los Angeles area where we bought a new Toyota 4Runner. We tried real hard to have the dealership let us pay sales tax upon our return home when we licensed and registered the vehicle in Utah. They wouldn't let us. They were wonderful to deal with, gave us a great price, took our trade-in just fine, and provided us with a 14-day temporary driving permit, but we had to pay California sales tax or no deal. I've purchased vehicles out-of-state before and been allowed to pay the tax upon returning home, but not this time. I suspect the deficit situation in California has put pressure on the dealers to bring in any revenue they can. I would suggest you contact some California dealers in advance and see what their position is...you might be able to work out an agreement before you arrive on the lot. Good luck!
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    It looks like the RX 330 is about to become the RX 350 thanks to a bigger engine (I would say sometime within the next year). Lexus filed a trademark for the RX 350 name a few weeks ago:

http://www.auto-report.net/index.html?tm200402.html

This makes sense considering there will be a new 3.5 V6 for the upcoming new IS and reportedly for the new GS as well.
  • towintowin Member Posts: 2
    Don’t usually post on boards but after lurking for several months thought I would pass on some info for you CA buyers. Requested a quote f/Lexus of Mission Viejo and received this: 2005 AWD, Z1, PM, PT, TO, C1, HL, DR, DC, HH, DH, WL, FT, RS. This is w/out Nav. MSRP $42,898, invoice $37,513. Internet quote: $37,487 + tax & lic, Cal tire fee of $5 & $45 doc fee. This appears to be $26 under invoice. Unfortunately, I’m in CO and they wouldn’t sell out of state. Didn’t want to risk Lexus penalizing them since they said Lexus frowns on taking business from the in state dealers. There is a lot less competition in CO but it did help me get a pretty good deal here in CO. I got the quote back within hours and the Internet Rep was real professional. Check them out and I agree w/msg 1703.
  • h2fanh2fan Member Posts: 27
    Anyone has any good dealer references for buying in IL, preferably in western/northwest chicago suburbs?

How does one go about getting good prices thro' internet from these car dealers?

thanks in advance.
  • dogsambamdogsambam Member Posts: 69
    Highland Park Lexus was the best to deal with after visiting and talking to the Illinois dealers. Our saleman and the entire staff were wonderful, and they also gave us the best deal on the car and our trade. They beat everyone!!! Email me if you would like more info.
  • headhunterheadhunter Member Posts: 2
    So who out here thinks the RX350 will be the 2006 model? I was going to purchase another RX, but don't mind waiting a year. Also, anyone know if the 3.5 V6 going into the IS will require premium gas? I don't like the idea of paying 20 cents more a gal. Many SF bay area dealers are giving me quotes that are $600-800 above invoice via the internet.
  • skb123skb123 Member Posts: 13
    hi, will you pl post the MSRP and the selling price before taxes. Thnks a lot.
  • tim_hooligantim_hooligan Member Posts: 143
    Got quotes for a 2005 R330 AWD w/ prem plus & nav. MSRP $44,xxx. Best quotes locally were $41,900.

Lindsay Lexus was the worst. Told me we should have talked price first so I didn't waste his time. Pulease.

Trying to tell me "Lexus is quality. We don't sell near invoice."

Whatever. I'm buying a G35X instead. It's quality too. Too bad Lexus has to be so pretentious and snotty...they lost a customer.
  • kcmattkcmatt Member Posts: 3
    There is only one dealer in the Kansas City area. Here is the deal I received.

2005 AWD RX330

Premium package plus, adaptive front lights, nav. system, rain-sensing wipers, 18” wheels, cargo mat, wheel locks

MSRP: $44,833

Paid: $40,850 (including admin charge)
  • jasonsjasons Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

I am of the same opinion for DC dealers. You may want to consider it buying from NJ which is just 4 hours drive from DC. Dealers in NJ are very competitive.
  • wendy813wendy813 Member Posts: 1
    Hi -- I was able to get what I think was a very good deal from Lexus of Rockville(MD) with virtually no hassles. I did my research (including this board) and went in on wednesday (12/15/04) evening to look at a RX330 and drove home with it last night -- 24 hours later. We did a little negotiating from the original offer over the phone and reached agreement the afternoon before I went in to buy.

I didn't want the navigation so that made it easier. I got a 2005 AWD Bamboo pearl vehicle with the

--Premuium plus package (including illumination system)plus

--heated seats, rain sensing wipers and headlamp washers

--18 in. alloy wheels

-- tow prep. package (trans. cooler + heavy duty alternator and radiator)

--6 CD changer

--pref acces pkg: Cargo mats and wheel locks

{this is basically the "premium plus package with additional options" that lexus packages together for the Northeast}

MSRP was $42,483

I paid $38,500 +Tax/Title/Tags and $100 fee

I financed part of it with Lexus and that was a breeze (3.63%APR for 60 months). The only downside is they lowballed my trade (great condition loaded 1999 Jeep Grand CH. Ltd) -- but I went a mile up the road to Carmax and they gave me the Kelly Blue Book Trade in price for an "Excellent" condition vehicle -- which amounted to $3,300 more than what Lexus offered. Lexus did suggest I go to Carmax in the first place and then drove me there and back to help coordinate delivery of the new vehicle.

Overall a great and very simple buying process and I'd highly recommend them.
  • jphillipsjphillips Member Posts: 3
    Rviradia,

I'm also located in Atlanta and starting to look at the RX 330. Sounds like you have a pretty good quote. What Dealer are you working with?
  • tmgoodtmgood Member Posts: 2
    2005 RX330 AWD, No Navigation, Flint Mica/Black

Premium Package with Roof rails/roof rack, In-dash, single feed, six-disc CD auto-changer. Also includes: Leather-trimmed interior, Power tilt-and-telescopic steering column with memory, Illuminated entry system and Power tilt-and-slide moonroof with one-touch open/close and sliding sunshade.

Additional Options:

- Two-level heated front seats (includes rain-sensing variable intermittent wipers and headlamp washers)

- Towing prep package

- In-dash, single feed, six-disc CD auto-changer

- Preferred Accessory Package (includes cargo mat and wheel locks)

MSRP = $41,453

Trade-in: '97 Toyota Camry $3,000

Purchase Price = $36,100

Out-the-Door = $38,375
  • bulaheebulahee Member Posts: 1
    Dear All,

Has anyone recently purchased an RX330 from the Sacramento Area? I plan to buy one soon, and I wonder what is the price I am looking at right now, close to X'mas.

I want to have it fully-loaded with Navigation/Mark Levinson + AWD performance package. I do not mind traveling down to Bay Area/SF to look for one though. Thank you!
  • macarshoppermacarshopper Member Posts: 12
    Hi everyone. I'm torn between the MDX and RX 330. So I decided to take another test drive before making up my mind. I called the salesman that I had met previously and he seemed a little taken aback when I said I wanted to come in for another drive. I really enjoyed meeting with him the first time, so I won't hold it against him. He was quite helpful explaining everything in detail. Maybe I am reading him wrong this time. Maybe he was just having a bad day.

On to my question. Now I'm curious, how many times did you test drive before purchase? When I bought my last car I went on 3 or 4. One of the dealerships gave me the keys and let me cruise around for awhile alone. I would imagine that zipping around in a car with one customer means that the salesman could miss out when another customer comes in ready to buy.
  • cam_carcam_car Member Posts: 1
    tmgood -

Does the price you paid ($36,100) for your 2005 RX330 AWD include your $3,000 trade in? So total price = $39,100?

Thanks for clarifying.
  • wrt33wrt33 Member Posts: 1
    I'm also looking to buy in Portland, Oregon. Only one dealer in town so I'm not sure how much they're willing to budge off MSRP. So far it doesn't look like much at all. Any suggestions? Also, I'm trying to decide between RX330 and Acura MDX (which appears to be a few thousand less).
  • piratemanpirateman Member Posts: 18
    Will someone tell me what they know about "Fleetservices.com"? I found them by accident and can't belive the price of a loaded (I mean LOADED) RX330. They have beat the Boston Lexus dealer by $3,000. They have my color, they have the Nav (which is extremely hard to get in Boston Lexus dealers)and yet they have come in thousands under. I know I have to ship the car for about $800 from either a Lexus dealer in Santa Monica or Beverly Hills. Can this price be true or is a rip-off? Please hurry your response.
  • pdxcascadepdxcascade Member Posts: 17
    I'm willing to go to California in a heart beat and drive back to get close to invoice, but I'm not at all sure how the Calif sales tax/vehicle cost adders might impact us sales tax free ducks in Oregon. Washington/Idaho no problem/no taxes, but Calif might be a different beast.

Lexus of Portland has to be the sweetest gig ever. Only dealer within 100 miles of a booming metro area...

From other posts, it looks like the Seattle area is only slightly better than here with Bellevue being the most competitive. Not sure if the dealer in Eugene is any better?

Hoping to get some time next week to work on this more.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    You might ask on our Smart Shopper board - that's the place for more general questions like yours.

kirstie_h

Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tmgoodtmgood Member Posts: 2
    That's correct.

They initially quoted me the full MSRP of $41, 453. After I got another couple of online quotes, they came down to $39,100 to match the best online quote I got. With my trade-in, I paid $36,100 + tax.
  • gizmo2gizmo2 Member Posts: 8
    I looking to purchase the RX with Nav, heat seats and prem. package. The best price I found so far is Carsdirect.com $40,740 incl. destination.

Any dealer recommendations in the NY/NJ area and prices paid would be helpful.

Also, is the "December to Remember" just marketing hype or are there really deals?

Thank you
  • lexusbuyer820lexusbuyer820 Member Posts: 1
    There are nearly twenty dealers in y area, and I have no idea as to which one to persue. They all seem to be offering great deals. The model I'm looking for is 2005 Flint Mica/Graphite:

2005 RX AWD = $37,175

Delivery, Processing & Handling Fee = $650

Available Packages = $7,008

Lexus DVD Rear-Seat Entertainment System (RSES) - includes two pairs of wireless headphones - $1,840

Premium Plus Package with Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) with High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps, Roof rails/roof rack. Also includes: Leather-trimmed interior, Power tilt-and-telescopic steering column with memory, Illuminated entry system and Power tilt-and-slide moonroof with one-touch open/close and sliding sunshade.

Additional Options:

- Lexus voice-activated DVD Navigation System with backup camera

- Two-level heated front seats (includes rain-sensing variable intermittent wipers and headlamp washers)

- 18-in alloy wheels (235/55VR18 and full-size spare)

- Towing prep package

- In-dash, single feed, six-disc CD auto-changer

- Preferred Accessory Package (includes cargo mat and wheel locks)

Grand Total = $46,673

Would $42,000 be a good price?

Please help, because stuff here is so marked up. I am trying to persuade my mom to buy this car, but she has like a block with going to a dealership. Can you'all also give me some reasons , I can use on her. Does "December to Remember," actually mean anything? Or are there really no differences in price?
  • tjsrx330tjsrx330 Member Posts: 7
    Hi,

I got the best deal (better that i can find anywhere on any forum). Lexus of Rockville Center in Rockville Center, Long Island (NY area) gave me fully loaded AWD RX330 with nav, premium plus etc (the whole $7008 package) for $40K flat (MSRP: $44,833). I took delivery on 12/23.

Without nav they were offering it for $38K. Other dealers in the area were at least $1500 - $2000 more.

December to Remember is 100% real as they told me that these prices are good for this event only. I leased mine for 36 months and they gave it to me on a great lease term.

Hope this helps..
  • gizmo2gizmo2 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks, that helps. I just got off with Ray Catena, they had the same MSRP but the price he gave me is $42,000 (this price was from the internet sales manager). Apparently, the options the way it's laid out on the Edmunds site isn't the way Lexus ships them. The accurate msrp is on Lexus.com.
    The taxes and all other fees are always based on the buyers's state..so doesn't matter you buy it from neighboring WA or CA or NY/NJ for that matter you'll (or not) pay exact same taxes always.

Taxes etc are all calculated automatically via computerized calculation which are all based on buyer's address. In case of leasing even the bank fee etc. are according to buyer's state rules/laws.
    Yes... I was telling you the price from Lexus.com only.. as those are the only 2 pre packaged prices which are readily available on every dealership (with nav is becoming less and less available pretty quickly too). All other permutation-combinations of accessories makes it ...kinda ..customized in which case you'll have to wait longer to get your car and you may not be able to get the same deal also..
  • pdxcascadepdxcascade Member Posts: 17
    I wish this were true, but I'm getting a different story. I've been checking into this the last few days. Appears to be no way to avoid paying the California sales tax + local sales tax adders if you pick up in the state boundaries.

All the dealers I've talked to in Calif will charge sales tax to go out the door. I called the Calif Board of Equalization and it appears the only option to avoid tax is to deliver out of the state of California -- otherwise it is a use tax as the first usage is within the state borders...

Oregon DMV couldn't figure out what was the real story, but since there is no sales tax in the state there is no govt agency that exists to coordinate with Calif's agency for reciprocity??

At or slightly below invoice looks pretty much the std at the big SoCal dealers.
  • bennbbennb Member Posts: 143
    kcmatt -- How hard did you have to battle for the $40,850 price in KC? I'm up in Nebraska and we basically have one dealership as well, but I'm not opposed to scooting down to KC 2.5 hours to save $2000. Thanks.
  • zoomazooma Member Posts: 19
    Am buying an RX 330 w/Navi and Prem.Plus pkg. today. Dealership claims Lexus finance rate is at 5.5-6%, even for top-notch credit rating. Shouldn't the December to Remember special rates still be in effect? I have read here that others got 3.63 and 3.65. Thanks so much in advance for any help.
  • macarshoppermacarshopper Member Posts: 12
    zooma,

I talked to the finance guy at Lexus yesterday in CT re: the RX. According to him, the Dec to Remember rates are available until 1/3 when new rates are announced. He also said that best available rate was 4.99 (top tier credit). I have no idea if state matters. I called the Lexus Customer care hotline but they were only able to refer me back to the dealer. I was hoping to get an 'independent' source of financing info.

Also, you might want to ask this question in the Financing forum. Good luck!
    Thanks for checking, Macarshopper. We are in Maryland, and the Lexus of Rockville finance folks totally denied having any financing "specials" for Dec to Remember, even though one lucky poster on this board very recently reported getting as low as 3.63% from the same dealership (although not on a Navi. model). They claimed 5.9 was the best they were doing for top-tier credit. Hmm.... Their loss -- we bought the car but are financing through Costco/Capital One at a better rate. Thanks again though.

P.S. I thought about posting this in the Financing forum, but this one seemed to be much more active and informative re Lexus.
  • murmalmurmal Member Posts: 25
    Zooma,

Congrats for the New year's Gift of Lexus. What was the deal on the car before TAX, Title and their processing fee. Do you mind posting for the benefit of shoppers like me.

Thanks in advance,

Murmal.
  • paigoopaigoo Member Posts: 7
    Yeah, I used Costco/Capital One for matching. I got it for 4.20%

I would suggest to upgrade the costco membership to executive. You will get 0.10% lower.
  • jay_manjay_man Member Posts: 2
    I just did a deal yesterday at Pohanka Lexus in Chantilly, VA, and got the 3.63% rate for 60 months. Tier 1 credit got me to 3.99%, and because of previous business with Toyota Motor Credit they dropped the rate to 3.63%, on an '05 RX 330 with Premium Plus and NAV. It probably didn't hurt that this was my 2nd RX 330 this year from that dealer. I traded an '04 with Rear Seat Entertainment that I bought there in February on the '05 with NAV.
    We got 4.2% from Costco/CapOne also, because of our Exec. membership. Lexus of Rockville was the only dealership around that had the specs we wanted (checked Chantilly and others). They told us from the outset that they were not dealing at all on these. We ended up getting about $1,000 off MSRP -- not the best dealing we've ever done, but we were on a tight schedule. In fact, we didn't even consider this car until 2 nights ago (have been frustrated looking for the perfect replacement for our 2002 BMW 530; had almost decided to go with Acura TL, but just did not think we could handle the bumpy ride). These boards are so helpful for quick research -- thank you all!
  • bennbbennb Member Posts: 143
    Prem Plus pkg (w/o NAV)

Towing Pkg

Cargo Mat/Wheel Locks

Heated Seats/Rain Sensitive Wipers

18" Rims

6 disc in dashchanger

= $42,483 MSRP

asked them to price it out with the hitch to be added before picking up ($415 MSRP)

= $42,898

and then with chrome rims (which they list at $1700 retail)

= $44,598 MSRP

Assuming they gave me the kbb.com value of my trade-in ... I think overall I got about $3,733 off of the total MSRP.

I think off just the car ... if you toss out the chrome "discount" ... I got about $3,000 off of MSRP. I walked in with the number in my head I wanted for the chrome dipped rims at $1,000 so that's how I arrived at about $3,000 off of MSRP in my head.

I think I just did OK ... there are two dealers around here and both are owned by the same group. Other nearest dealerships are 3 hour drives away. Probably could've saved another $1,000 travelling, but I feel fine with how I did. It wasn't a GREAT deal, but I don't feel ripped off. Plus they have to have it freighted in from another dealer.

I think I can pick it up on Wed/Thurs.
  • vietmyvietmy Member Posts: 3
    Hey guys check out the deal we got-

05 pearl white 330 with premium package and navagation msrp 43,275

invoice was 38,311

Final negotiated price of 38,400 ($89.00 above invoice)

PLUS recent college graduate program down payment assisstance of $750.00 and 3.94 financing.

So total out the door we paid 37,660. (had a $10.00 bs fee)

I think this is the best deal I have seen on these boards.
  • genemachine1genemachine1 Member Posts: 24
    Great Deal

What state and what dealer did you do business with?
  • breakawaybreakaway Member Posts: 3
    To: "vietmy"

Help me fully understand the price you paid. You said that your "final negotiated price of 38,400 -was- ($89.00 above invoice)." Later you said that your "total out-the-door price -was- $37,660." Are you saying that you paid $37,660 AFTER state sales tax and license fees? If so, you indeed got an outstanding deal.

I bought an 05 RX 330 with the premium package and navigation and paid $41,000 out-the-door for it. This $41,000 includes California state sales tax and license fees.

Congratulations,

J
  • flwflw Member Posts: 4
    If you do the math, you know it's not "total out-the-door". The price of $37,660 is BEFORE state sales tax and license fees.

$37,660 = $38,400 - $750 + $10
    Sorry for the delayed response, you are correct flw that is before taxes. However in our state unlike California we do not have to pay taxes when we purchase cars we have 30 days to pay. So I guess out the door is different for us then it is for you.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    So I guess out the door is different for us then it is for you.

No, it just means your door takes a little longer to close! :-)

tidester, host
    Yeah, Tidester I didnt know alot of places had to pay when they bought there cars. oops. Breakaway how much of your total price was taxes?
  • shawshankmanshawshankman Member Posts: 9
    At local Massachusetts dealer. RX330 AWD loaded (no NAV or performance pkg). Negotiated price $38,000/$43K MSRP. Money factor .00145 (tier2), residual I believe was 58%. $1,250 lease acq. fee (I live in RI) plus 1st payment and BS fees = $2,300 down. Payment, incl. sales tax is $529/mo. 15,000/year 36 month lease. Total outlay over 3 years incl. all fees and sales tax = $20,815.

I'm sure if I wasn't exhausted at the end of the process, trying to get the vehicle for Xmas time, and was willing to walk out, the fees could have been shaved by about $300-400. But they gave me a surplus on my trade that more than covered it.

Any questions let me know, best of luck to prospective buyers!
This discussion has been closed.