Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram - II

Comments

• dodgeramdodgeram Posts: 202
    Up here in Canada (ontario)diesel price on avg., is 70cents a litre, which works out to $2.80 a gallon, now thats bad. Also I have a 2000 4x4 qc diesel and Im getting 16mpg mostly hwy with a little city, and was wondering if 16 cdn mpg was normal or not, I think it isn't considering that cdn mpg should be more. Is there something wrong with the truck 3.55 gears, 265 tires.
  • RichinKsRichinKs Posts: 416
    Interesting comment about V10's only being made it the US. 10 weeks or so ago they told me the truck would be made in Fenton, Mo. and I wondered how that could be known when they had no idea when it would be made.
  • A friend of mine is a crude oil electric trader and told me the U.S. oil reserve is not as full as people think. He also said releasing some of the reserve into the market will not bring the prices down the whole problem stems toward OPEC. last year there were major political problems brought on by the warm winter which the OPEC nations never had to deal with before. My friend claims that the only way to bring the prices down NOW is for Govenor Whitman and other North east govenors to lift the deisel and home heating fuel tax until the winter ends (YA RIGHT). He said by doing that the fuel prices would be more in line with the rest of the country He also said that the prices should start to come down with in the next few weeks.
    Still waiting Mike
    Still waiting on V10 engine. Mike at 800 number is trying to get hold of distribution to see when they expect v10 engine shortage to be resolved. My research indicates Dodge makes the V10 engine at Mound Road Engine Plant. Is that true? does anyone know if they are on strike, had a tornado, flood? ... Rich
  • tentxtentx Posts: 3
    Does anybody sell inserts to go in those openings in the bumper, that matches the "honey comb" stuff that is in the grill? Thanks,Tom
  • Does installation of any of this void the Dodge Warranty? Thanks! Wayne
    waynewal@imaxx.net
  • dntwodntwo Posts: 1
    I bought a 99 Dodge 4wd club cab. I have to say that I love this truck. I have 30k miles at this point and no troubles. I have owned Dodge trucks before and had a lot of trouble with them, but I stayed away for 10 years and decided to give them another shot. I had an 86 Ram Van (bought new) that the steering box went at 24k miles and the dealer told me "They all do that." like what is the big deal, not under warranty(not part of the drive train). Apparently, there were no bearing in there, just bushings. When used for city driving they go fast(the dealer even went so far as suggesting that I replace the steering box with a Chevy steering box). I then bought a 87 Ram Van (also new) with the fancy interior, towing package, etc. Worked fine for 60k miles, then fell apart. (torque converter, transmission, distributor, etc). I am hoping this new truck hangs in there. At this point, if I hit the lottery for 50 million, I would keep this truck. I like everything about it. My last truck was a Toyota 4WD 1994. I traded it in on the Dodge with 130,000 miles. I only did normal maintenance on it, but it did have a couple of small annoyances. Hope Dodge has learned from the competition. If this thing pukes on me, it will be the last time I ever consider Dodge.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Hi gang

Sorry about my lack of appearance, but I've been promoted here at Town Hall (see below), and have been really busy.

I'm going to try to answer a whole bunch of questions in one shot - I'll try to pop in here as often as time allows.

Current Ram/ETH:
    We don't have the darn price listed here at Edmunds and I don't know why, but the ETH is priced at $4441 invoice/$5225 MSRP - a premium of $110/600 over the ETC (3931/4625). Surprisingly, no change has been announced officially regarding the Cummins/automatic combo :( still shipping at the 215/420 power rating.

Redesigned Ram:
    Info is starting to trickle in. Some of you may
    have heard the fight between DaimlerChrysler and
    Dana about noisy axles in the Jeep Grand Cherokee
    (annoying high pitched whines), and the switch has
    begun. The redesigned Ram will use axles from
    American Axle & Manufacturing.

Huh? Who?

Don't panic. AAM axles have been underneath every
    Chevy and GMC for ages. It's the old GM axle
    division - they were spun off independently a short time ago, similar to Delco becoming the
    independent Delphi.

Unlike the MAXXcab concept which was shown as\t
    this year's Detroit Auto Show, the next Ram is
    expected to be a design blend of the current Ram
    and last year's Power Wagon. Dodge will also split the lines the way Ford and GM have into light and heavy pickups. The light pickups will be more "consumer", the heavy (which will look even more like a semi, supposedly) will be the
    commerical-oriented.

The Allison 1000 is appearing on dealer info
    sheets for the Ram behind both the Cummins and the
    V10, and a new 5 speed automatic will be used in
    the light-duty trucks.

Introduction is expected like this: light duty
    trucks will appear in the first quarter of 2001 as
    early 2002s, the heavies will remain the current
    body for MY2002 and will get their new chassis and
    skin no later than the 2nd quarter of 2002 as early 2003s.

Cummins makes no secret about redesigning the B5.9
    for the summer of 2002 (great timing, no?), but
    only Dodge seems to be claiming that the new
    Cummins will be a 6.0L instead of 5.9L. As for the remaining engines:

old new
    3.9L OHV V6 3.7L OHC V6
    5.2L OHV V8 4.7L OHC V8
    5.9L OHV V8 5.7L OHC V8(light)
    6.1L OHC V8(heavy)
    5.9L Cummins 5.9L Cummins
    8.0L OHV V10 new OHC V10, rumored 6.5L to 7.7L

The 4.7L will be of a higher rating than that used
    in the Dakota/Durango and Jeep GC (245hp vs 235),
    and because of their head design, the other V8s and V10 will be marketed as "Hemis" - a nice blast
    from the past to grab the old Mopar fans.

I will try not to be so infrequent between visits, but have two conferences of my own now; it's a big job :)

kcram
    Co-Host - Smart Shopper & FWI Conferences
    edmunds.com Town Hall
  • Hey Gang!
    I have been lurking since last fall, when I thought I was going to get a 2000 Ram. Well, yesterday, I picked up my 2001, 2500, LWB, Cummins ETH with six speed manual and SLT+, minus the heated seat. It has the towing package, the camper package, the limited slip rear axle, 4.10 axles, 4WD, Michelin lt265x16 tires, etc. The MSRP was a tad under $40,000 and the autobytel price was a little over $34,000.

I have driven the truck for two days and am absolutely delighted. The thing drives like a sports car. I haven't towed with it yet, but the acceleration is fantastic. The 4.10 rear end and the 265x16 tires mate up real well. In 6th, 1600 RPM is 50 mph and 2600 is 75 mph. Thus the optimum range of engine rpms pretty well span desirable highway speeds.

I have been waiting for the ETH engine and six speed manual since last summer, and the wait was worth while. I placed my order on Jan. 1, and the truck was ready for delivery on Feb. 17.
    whats with the minus heated seat? It was left off or you ordered a SLT plus all SLT+ features except for the heated seat which you can only get with the SLT+ package? ... Rich
  • I ordered all of the SLT+ features except the heated seat.
  • dodgeramdodgeram Posts: 202
    This may be a dumb question, but it's the only quirk I have about my 2000 ram 4x4 qc diesel (automatic). When the engine is farily cold like after warm up, the shift from park to rev, or fwd, is almost seemless, but once I drive it around the shift from park to rev, is awfuly harsh, almost like a thud, foward is better, but still a little harsh, is this normal for the auto with the cummins, or should I get it looked at. Besides this, the truck is amazing to drive and I think it 's the tallest production truck offered between the big three, even over the superduty's, because I parked up beside a diesel 4x4 ford, and I was a inch taller at the back!
  • I just found out that the 2001 Ram 2500 4x4 Reg 5 spd V-10 etc. ordered Dec. 17, 1999. Reached D1 and is schedueled to be built by the March 10 in Mexico. Any info as to how to track Mexican railroads?
  • I've got a 2500 qc 4x4 diesel w/34,000 mi. The brakes have had to be replaced. The tranny has been rebuilt. It is back in the shop with brake and tranny probs. On the +, I get 20mpg and a great ride when the truck is working properly. Because of all I have read on the posts and my own probs, I am going to get an extended warranty. Anyone used warranty direct? They seem to have good prices.
  • nascar6nascar6 Posts: 113
    According to the info on http://www.ecpe.vt.edu/~dfritz/ram_frame.html, new RAMs are trucked to New Orleans, then shipped by rail to distribution hubs.
  • I'm looking for somebody with the new ETH (HO)diesel with the 6 speed manual in a 3/4 ton.
    What do you get for MPG? What rear axle do you have, 3.54 or 4.10? 2WD or 4WD?

Same info requested for the ETC diesel with the 5 speed manual.

Thanks
  • markcordmarkcord Posts: 113
    Not all Rams though. I don't know about Mexico but I traced mine on its rail car all the way from Fenton to Westboro, MA and it never got anywhere near Louisiana.
  • I'm sorry if this question has been addressed previously, but I'm wondering: has anyone else noticed a relatively loud hum or "wah-wah-wah" noise upon deceleration w/ the 4-speed automatic?

My truck is a brand-new 2000 QC 1500 w/ the 5.9 V8. 275 total miles. Any time I lift off the gas at speeds below roughly 50 mph, I get the noise--which, at first, I thought was just tire hum that I was hearing only in the absence of engine noise.

It's clear to me now, though, that this isn't the case. My (uneducated) guess would be that something in either the transmission or the differential is out of synch. If I so much as touch the accelerator, the noise stops immediately.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a "problem," or is it just a characteristic of a new truck/transmission (i.e., is it something that will go away after 1000 miles)? I've heard of folks having transmission problems with these trucks, and this certainly isn't something I would consider "normal" in a brand-new vehicle...so I'm a bit concerned.

Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated...
  • My truck is a 2000 reg. cab 1500, also with the 5.9 and 4-speed automatic and I have experienced no unusual noises from the transmission or anything else and I have almost 4000 miles on mine. Your noise is not characteristic for your Ram, get it checked out and good luck.
  • Responding to Woodbutcher's question.

I have a 2001 Ram 2500 with the six speed manual tranny and the HO (ETH) engine, 4WD, 4.10 axles and 265x16 tires.

I haven't yet had a good long run on the highway yet, so can't give you a good figure for highway mileage. However, the trip computer seems to average about 20 mpg on straight and level cruise.

Driving around town with frequent traffic light stops, etc., I am averaging 14.7 over the last 120 miles of town driving. You can reduce that a lot by experiencing the fantastic acceleration that this truck has to offer.

I think that the 4.10 axle with this tire size is about optimum. You can cruise at up to 80 without winding the engine up and yet there is a lot of power left for towing, which I haven't done yet.

I hope this answers your questions.
  • Thanks y2kram for the info. It is hard getting MPG
    on the trucks. That 20 MPG looks good for a 3/4 ton truck.
    I did check with Cummins today, they said the
    ETH engine should give me better MPG than the
    ETC.
    Thanks again.
  • wiz1wiz1 Posts: 18
    Well I did my first fillup over the weekend. I averaged 17.23 MPG for both city/hiway driving.
    This is an 2001 ETH/DEE with 4:10 gears.
  • caljcalj Posts: 3
    Has anyone used a K&N air filter with the cummins? I used a K&N air filter with my V10 which increased mileage by 1 MPG. I bought a 99 2500 qc with the cummins and was wondering if there any benefit to using the K&N air filter?
  • gwmooregwmoore Posts: 230
    According to Automotive News the next generation Ram will discontinue the Cummins and utilize a Mercedez diesel. Here is an excerpt:

"It is unclear which Mercedes engine will be used. Mueller said a common-rail diesel injection engine might be the choice. These engines are designed for passenger vehicles and range in size from 2.0 liters to 4.0 liters. But a manager with Dodge powertrain development in Auburn Hills, Mich., said his team has been working on packaging the Mercedes' MBE-906 diesel engine in the Ram. The MBE-906 is a six-cylinder, 6.4-liter, turbodiesel. It is a heavy-duty truck engine available in DaimlerChrysler's Freightliner and Sterling brands. The MBE-906 is larger than the Cummins engine and offers between 190 and 280 hp."

I know nothing about Mercedez diesels other than they have been making them forever and everything they make is super heavy duty. But I wonder how technologically advanced a prospective engine for the Ram would be, i.e. will it match up against the Duramax and the next generation Powerstroke? The article also stated that the move to change from Cummins to Mercedez is at least partially based on cost savings. At any rate, this is a very interesting change of events, especially since the most commited Ram fans are the Cummins fanatics (myself included). Go see the article at www.autonews.com - "Mercedes diesels to power next Ram" (March 6, 2000).
  • gwmooregwmoore Posts: 230
    I better get used to spelling Mercedes correctly. Sorry about all the "Mercedez".
  • rocketdrrocketdr Posts: 4
    How is your off road 2000 doing? I ordered a 2001 off road I thought was hear last week .did you get bigger tires? Height does make stock tires look like pizza cutters. Ha! What else, tow anything yet ? Been in the mud ? I will be scared for a long time I think. But it sure looks like this truck will hunt!
  • rlkruegerrlkrueger Posts: 98
    Hi,
    ...and to my old aquaintance, kcram, hello!
    My 99 3500/Cummins/4x4/QC 24V is running like a dream.
    I would like to add the B&D Engine Brake First Level injectors to the engine for a reported 30hp/100 lbs ft increase in torque. I also hear that a 1-2 mpg fuel mileage increase is common among these customers. So I'm inquiring as to anyone's personal experience that has installed these injectors into their 24V Cummins.
    Any reports out there?

Thanks,
    Robert
  • rlkruegerrlkrueger Posts: 98
    Well, I can't delete a bad post, so I have to add.
    The injectors are put out by Diesel Dynamics, not B&D Brake. (Although they also sell injectors)

Sorry,
    Robert
  • blimpieblimpie Posts: 2
    If you don't pick up a new ordered truck for 2weeks to a month does it cost the dealer part of his holdback?

Thanks
    Mike
    The reverse side of my contract (Kansas) says I have 3 days to pick up the vehicle when it is ready or the contract is void.
This discussion has been closed.