Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hummer H3

Comments

• heather77heather77 Member Posts: 5
    Can anyone provide me a GMID cert please? My Birthdate is 10/16/77 . Please email me for the 4digits of SSN
  • heather77heather77 Member Posts: 5
    Hi Paul,

How are you.
    Can you provide me a GMID cert please? My Birthdate is 10/16/77 . Please email me for the 4digits of SSN?

Thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You'll need to make your email address public in your Forums Profile if you want someone to be able to contact you.
  • jriddyjriddy Member Posts: 7
    Wow, lots of good info in these forums, I think I've read nearly every email thread since July 26, 2005.

I'm in Dallas/Ft.Worth, looking to buy an '06 H3, see lots of requests online for the GMID certificate, not even going to fight for one of those.

I've emailed the three Hummer dealerships in this area, two have responded, one got a little snotty with me via email. They're upset that I ask so many questions via email instead of stopping in, but it's just how I buy cars, bought '05 vette Feb. '05 the exact same way.

What are most of you paying to own an '06 H3, I want to compare with what I've been quoted. thanks.
    any estimated performance for this upgrade? idea on price? i've seen superchargers, but they are almost $5k! i would like to purchase the '07 H3 vs. the '06 H3 for the increase power output, but at a difference on price of over $4k, it is hardle worth the 22hp gain, lol dealerships are dealing right now on the '06 models. i will be purchasing a luxury model for $200 over invoice and 0% for 60mos, not too bad, in my opinion.
  • humna2nhumna2n Member Posts: 1
    I am a proud and happy owner of a new H3 that's about 4 months old. I was a little disappointed in the gas mileage thou. I just had to learn to drive with a lighter foot to get reasonable gas mileage. Now, I baby it. But the weirdest thing happened the other day. So, I thought I might post it thinking that someone else might possibly had something similiar happen.

I was driving down the freeway when the back passenger window directly behind me shattered and imploded inwards. At first I thought it was a bullet. But there was no bullet to be found. I then thought it was a rock, and again no evidence. Even the glass company that replaced the glass thought I wasn't being truthful cause it was such an unlikely scenario.

The only thing I can conclude is that it was a rock that deflected off the window at just the right spot (and speed)to cause it to shatter. Now I'm a little nervous. Thank God it wasn't the driver's side window. Any thought by anyone would be greatly appreciated.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I worked at a GM plant for many years and I can remember coming to work on a Monday morning more than once when most lights in the assembly area were still off and walking down the all quiet line and all of a sudden, boom, a window in one of the cars on the line would explode. Scared the you know what out of me. So yes it's possible but have never heard of a side window going out. It was always a front/back one due to stress from a screw or something in the wrong position. Really shouldn't be any stress on a side window.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Saw an 07 H3X today. Pretty sharp and also almost 43K with nav. 37995 I believe plus options. Big thing I liked was the seats. Custom stitching and looked more lux. than standard leather.
  • tired_old_davetired_old_dave Member Posts: 710
    The better half and I just traded in a Limited CRD for an H3 at Classic Hummer in Grapevine. We enjoyed all our test drives - don't think John did. Crossed it off our list when we looked at cloth seats some time ago. Power seats turned us to buyers.
    Thanks for the congrats. A weight has been relieved from our backs. Looking at the vehicle and owners manual - it isn't the poorly built, maintenance pig that we came from. I even get my beautiful cone shaped filter in the big air box with cold air from the top corner of the hood - enough to make an ex crd'er cry with joy.
    We bought our fully loaded H3 on Sat. Aug 26 from Sewell in Dallas. After negotiating via email with the three Hummer dealerships in Dallas and one in Ft. Worth, decided with them. We bought for $200 over invoice and qualified for 0% for 60 mos. We're very pleased with our purchase. Sold our 2001 Tahoe outright, and we miss the power, but the H3 wasn't built for speed, not like our C6 Vette : )
    Saw your post before we bought. We had also been looking at Sewell Cadillac in Grapevine and had the pleasure to meet and chat with Mr. Sewell there during one of our visits.

Agree about the speed and maybe it is time we gave the V1 a rest. Demo'd all the ones of our color choices but bought a blue one that seemed to fit and feel like a glove. Found other forums awhile back and all the dual exhaust mods etc. Classic had a borla dual exhaust on one tricked out on the showroom floor. For now, we just want to be able to drive and not live in our or their garage.

Congratulations on your Hummer.
    If the fuel mileage of a Hummer is bothering you - it doesn't for us. Cleaning out our Jeep crd extra dcx syn lubes and fluids, parts, invoices for insurance (our choice and suggested by many)when provided a loaner(five day max from dcx extended warranty), and the pain of parts availablity, reflashes, additives, diesel fuel quality, on and on. My current position enabled me to take the crd in to the shop at my convenience without using vacation or time off.

We know that after break in (10k to 30k miles) with the H3 and with syn oil and injector cleaner additive the milege should be like our other general-better than posted. I think the air filter has a max life of 50k miles unless I read wrong, this is not a maintenance hog and hopefully like our other general we can just drive it.

Hummer should've made the power seats standard except for a manual transmission model. If they had, we might have bought the first one we sat in some time ago. They did now state that an aftermarket? power base can be fitted to a cloth seat.

Tidester - there is nothing to report because there is nothing to talk about but mods which can be found eveywhere. I posted this for people considering a H3 and not as a catharsis. Per your request, I'll try to keep reporting.
    THANKS!!!!

Actually, we bought from Sewell Hummer in Dallas, great experience.

So you purchased an H3 recently?

I drive the H3 mostly, my husband drives the vette. I don't crave speed like he does, so the power is comfortable enough. I really enjoy 'Humphrey' (my H3).

We now have 800 miles on it and getting around 320 miles per tank of gas - which is good considering I drive in stop and go traffic every day on the LBJ....ugh!

We had the dealership remove the nerf bars - we ordered custom chrome steps and should get those today!!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Per your request, I'll try to keep reporting.

Thanks, Dave. I couldn't ask for more! :)

tidester, host
    The H3 is the daily driver of my better half. Maybe she needs an edmunds account instead of wife of t-o-d.

Bought H3 this Tuesday. Off-road package. Already bought the 3yr xm subscription like we did with the malibu. Also bought 100 minutes of cell time for ~ $17 to add to the free 30. Also wanted true rock rails like those standard on the H2 and then add the removable steps but nerf bars had been added already.

Hope the chrome steps are on by the time you read this.
    Maybe she needs an edmunds account instead of wife of t-o-d.

We'd love to have her aboard!

tidester, host
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Just tell her "Tired_of_old_Dave" won't work as a user name. :shades:
    Got to user name and she can't stop laughing over "Tired_of_old_Dave"
  • better_halfbetter_half Member Posts: 6
    I suppose my new Edmunds alias is a natural with all of the previous fan fare I've received in various postings. I have driven the new H3 for two commuting days and I just love the respect it gets on the road. After two ford conversion vans and the 4WD liberty, the H3 is a wonderful mix of size, handling, and off road abilities (yet to be attempted).
  • better_halfbetter_half Member Posts: 6
    You mentioned that your husband drives the vette - it's not by any chance the color yellow is it? Westbound on the LBJ extension this evening, a yellow vette zoomed around me and appeared to be showing me what a vette can do with a bit of lead applied to the pedal.

Perhaps it was because I was keeping the H3 in the 55-60 mph range for the remaining "break-in" miles. I was staying in the far right lane - different since I'm used to cruising with the rest of the pack when I drive the malibu. Even after break-in, I don't see a reason to drive something this heavy much above 75 anyway - the turnpike speed limits in Oklahoma!

Keep us posted on the steps.
    It's great to see you - welcome! Now Dave will need to be on his best behavior ... J/K!! :)

tidester, host
    Bought H3 with everything except nav and block heater. Paid 300 over invoice but got two (2) 500 dollar rebates and 0 % interest and they took the crd off our hands.

Better_half and I shared driving today to get past first 500 mile break in requirement soon. Started at 212 ended at 420, interstate driving - she 60-70 he 55-65. A/C on. Fueled up again - regular 2.29 diesel 3.09. Used 10.06 gallons of regular.

Disclaimer: mechanic suggested a 2psi up on the recommended 35psi on the LT tires to prevent a low tire pressure alert in the future.
    Thanks!

That works out to about 20 mpg - not bad. :)

tidester, host
    jriddy, did you get your chrome steps? Wife came home tonight in the rain and while stepping on the nerf bar in the garage, the plastic pad moved. Going to the dealer tomorrow to get rock rails and steps that we knew we wanted and checking on the tubular skid plates.
    Hi Tired Old Dave,

My goodness, I hope she's okay.

Our chrome steps are scheduled for delivery today, thanks for asking. We didn't like the ones it came with, so we had the dealer take them off, and off our purchase price as well :) These are all chrome tubular with the diamond plated flat steps. I'm excited to get them. For one, I'm 5'2" (if I hold my head really high) and I could use the assistance getting in and out. And another, my husband and I just like the way it looks with the steps.

Let me know if you get what you're looking for.
    Thanks for the information. Searched the net last night and found the stainless kits that go over the factory plastic removable steps.

Went to Classic Hummer this morning to order the rock rails and separate steps but ended up exchanging the tubular rails for a set of the less expensive aluminum four inch flat rails. They offered a refund based on the new parts price difference.
    Other forums talked about where to get a shorter antenna to keep from hitting when entering and leaving the standard height home garage. Snipped a couple of inches off the top of the factory unit and reinstalled the factory ball tip and dressed it up with black. Bought a ball mount(aka draw bar) in Dallas at Southwest Wheel Company. Huber optik tint from Artech for the fronts coming this weekend.
    Awesome! Thanks for the info. My husband has been wanting to "chop off" the antenna, I'll forward this info to him. Have a super day! :D
  • h3shopperh3shopper Member Posts: 11
    Sorry to upset the Edmunds H3 braintrust, but the reason the antenna is higher than the truck to give you a reference point when entering a parking garage or other structure. If the antenna bends, there's a good chance you could RIP THE ROOF RAILS OFF YOUR CAR !!!!!!!!!!!

DUH !!

One more tip. When drinking coffee in your new hummer, always drink from the side of the mug closest to you.
    Update-tested the ball this morning. The original construction may have been soldered or pressed in so tight that it acted like a weld/solder. Removed the ball again and will secure the top anti-whistle wire wrap with heatshrink or another product.
    Thanks for posting - getting some action here on the hummer.

Don't have cross bars, don't ski, have a wells cargo trailer. Drove conversion vans - how high is your hummer and what parking garages. Saw a lifted H2 yesterday -

Posting here because tired of reading forever on other hummer forums to maybe find one useful bit of information from a gm/hummer employee.
    Sorry to post so much. Snipped twice. Now about four inches cut off including the ball. Couldn't find the can of plastic cote? to dip the end into, but did buy a can of Dupli Color Truck Bed Coating that will come handy in the future. Made about four coats to secure the wire to the mast at the cut end.

Did not want the ball to ever come off and maybe hurt another's vehicle. Bought and returned a retail $66 SS mast to one Hummer dealer and saw an option at your dealership. None had the metalurgical properties of the factory antenna.

Better_half will test the antenna tomorrow. Have six disc cd and XM, however on that mileage test trip/visit to OKC and back, we did pick up KRLD in OKC with the factory antenna.
  • bl00dbl00d Member Posts: 3
    :sick: Hello! Please help me! I have Hummer H3. I am from Russia and we have not official dealers of Hummer. But I need information about Hummer H3 wheel alignment for do this service in Russia. Please help! Send it to my e-mail.
    Odometer now over 1100 miles. Huper Optik tint on front windows. This weekend - hand washed the "Blue Beauty", as my older sister calls it. Not the color of choice but it is growing on me, even more so after the washing.
    Hey there Tired Old Dave!

Ours had just over 1,500 miles - have owned for 1 month tomorrow. Blue Beauty, that's awesome. Our little boy is named Humphrey Hummer. If you think that's pathetic, our '05 vette is named Veronica, and our Tahoe Tommy.

We're loving it, such a nice, smooth ride - we feel like we can run over anything, and we do, LOL!!

Hand washed ours this weekend too. We washed it two weeks ago and found a dull over-spray on the roof in the rear corner, apparantely came from the factory that way, so it was in the body shop for a week getting made pretty again. Made us sick to have a new car in the body shop, buy hey, it happens I guess. We didn't notice it when we bought it, of course, we didn't look on the roof either.

got our nerf bars on, looks real clean, and now I can hop my 110lb @ss in and out real easy! I'll upload some pics and email one next time I'm on.

Take care, and get some rest Tired Old Dave!

J Riddy
  • 2ksscamaro2ksscamaro Member Posts: 2
    I believe that changing the length of the antenna will affect the reception of the radio. The length is tuned in to the radio frequencies or something like that. Do you notice a difference?
  • mibtpmibtp Member Posts: 5
    I've just ordered a '07 H3 and went thought all the financing hoops with the local dealer in Pasadena, CA.
    I said if I purchase, I can put $10,000-$14,000 down. They have suggested leasing to me at 3.9%. I have a GMID certificate. Is this a good deal? If I decided to lease instead of buy, how much should I expect to put down? Anyone face the same delimma?

Thanks.
    Patrice
    Asked better_half your question. No apparent difference in local reception and have not taken a road trip since the alteration. Yes, I am aware of the old radio knowledge about computing the optimal length of an antenna. Maybe an engineer or GM can answer that better. One aftermarket antenna is available as 12" and 21". A new H3 antenna is full retail ~ $27. One parts person offered to order one and quoted less than full retail. The spray can of coating was $8.
  • h3shopperh3shopper Member Posts: 11
    You don't give enough information to determine what's a good deal.

- how much mileage do you put on the car?
    - What's the lease terms?
    - How much payment are you looking for?
    - How long of a term?
    - Do you hold onto cars or do you turn them in often?
    - What's the lease tax in CA?
    - Any impact to your insurance?
    - Is this for business or personal use? Can you write it
    off or is it a just a personal liability?

Lots of factors to consider
  • puckbunipuckbuni Member Posts: 3
    Hello.....saw your post and albeit from '05, had to reply. I have an '06 FX35 but I'm looking to trade it in on an '06 Hummer H3. I have been concerned about the power and could I get used to it....also the space in the back....whether it's comparable to the FX?

Just wondering if you are still happy with your H3?

Thank you for your time. :)
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    Thank you for the explanation. I first saw this change at Malibu "Sorry for the disruption."
  • wojnickiwojnicki Member Posts: 1
    Just curious - you posted that you were looking to move from an FX35 to a H3 which is my exact dilemna - i want it for more space to carry stuff - have you made the move? are you happy? is the power ok? how is the space?

I like the look, have a new daughter and are carting around all the stuff and the fx35 space isn't cutting it...
  • puckbunipuckbuni Member Posts: 3
    Hi Wojnocki...

Well, I haven't pulled the trigger on the H3 yet....seems I am researching it to death! I have compared specs to the FX35 and they are even steven with maybe an inch give or take on space, legroom, etc. I actually went and drove the 2006's and then looked at the space in the back. You know how the FX has more of a "deep" space" in the way back? Where you have alot of room to push things back? Well, the Hummer space seemed more up and down. Another words, more usable space from bottom to ceiling due to the area being more box like rather than deep and short? My kids play hockey so I am thinking of hockey bags, sticks, stuff like that to cart around....you mentioned a new daughter so I am thinking you are putting the stroller, etc? Anyway, I kind of liked the dimensions in the H3 for space better than the FX.

I also liked the spacious "feel" of the H3 in the backseat. You know how the seats in the FX have the "hump" in the middle? Kind of makes the middle seat non-usable for my family. Also, the FX seats curve in so much at the legs/hips that the H3 with it's more long/wide bench style seems bigger in the back. The dimensions in camparing are maybe within an inch, but it sure seems like there is more room in the H3 in the back. I'll tell ya one thing, getting into the H3 is a WHOLE lot better than the FX. My teens hate getting in and out of the FX because of the narrow entry.

Anyway, I hope I have helped...I'm possibly going to take an H3 for a weekend just to give a try up in our altitude....I'm concerned about the power at 7000 ft. I have driven the manual trans. which is a hoot to drive and provides a bit more "oomph" or so it seems but have not made a decision yet....We'll see.
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Hummer
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
    Thanks !

better_half started the new thread. What she didn't say is that we saw the signs "Hunters Welcome" and one dead cow and two dead deer on the side of the road on our trip.

This got me to the 853lbs load capacity on our loaded H3. Used to go to Mike's for the CRD but we have a new 4 wheel parts store right down the road. Real brush guard request during their grand opening noise, brought a winch/brush guard response. Better tranny armor question unanswered.

Looks like new torsion bars and rear leaf springs before the transformation gets started. A bully dog rep (wrangler and brother has an H3) and I chatted about the vehicles and he bragged about the upgrades for a CRD. It seems his brother raised the front of the H3 by turning the torsion bars. I'm still debating that since I can't remember the results from doing that on a new 67 plymouth. He also said all that he can see for the '06 H3 is exhaust and intake upgrades.
  • chello1938chello1938 Member Posts: 1
    HELLO,

Congratulation on the purchase of your new Hummer
    Would you be kind enough to clarify what a GMID is?

I thank you in advance for your courtesy
    Steve and Tidester, (Alphabetical Order)

To Our Hosts and Viewers,

Have A Peaceful and a Happy Thanksgiving!