Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Cobalt

Comments

• gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,279
    "First, what new body on what old platform."

Muffy, I was referring to the 1995 refresh where they slapped a new body on an already outdated platform and decided that it would be sufficient for another 10 years. I do realize that the Balt is a new platform.

While it was a best selling car, it was only that because they priced it so cheaply. They didn't make any money on those cars. They just decided to let it wallow because Chevy is the utilitarian line and they needed to be in the entry level game.

How many people that bought Cavs when they were in college came back when it was time to move up? How many Civic buyers moved up into Accords?

Chevy's strategy with the Cav was extremely short sighted and damaging to the nameplate. Why do you think that the response to the Cobalt has been so indifferent in the marketplace?
  • gmoudygmoudy Member Posts: 67
    I guess us Cav owners could ask you 'Why did so many college students buy the Cav?' To move up means to get something bigger. The reason college students bought the Cav and still do is because it was a low priced vehicle and was dependable for them to get back and forth to college. NMSU is in the city where I live and there are many college students driving the Cav.
    The Cav was and is a good little car. The response to the Cobalt is because Chevy didn't try to do the engine right like they are doing for the Cobalt. By that I mean, look at what they will offer for the Cobalt SS. Shame they didn't do that for the Z24.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    How many college kids come back to CHEVROLET when it comes time to get rid of the Cavalier?

He used Honda as a comparative ... asking how many Civic buyers come back and buy Accords when it's time to move up.

In other words, Honda has a good record of keeping first-time buyers. Not so with the Cavalier and Chevy.

P.S. My wife and I took Chevy's promises to heart back in 1995 and bought a new Cavalier, expecting a cheap car that would get us through a few lean years. Well, Chevy broke its promise. The car's head gasket blew at 28,000 miles, and Chevy covered the $700 job saying there was an extended warranty campaign (i.e. manufacturing blunder) on the head gasket. When the new head gasket went 8,000 miles later, and then the NEXT new one blew 6,000 miles after the second one, Chevy refused to cover them. After spending more than $1,400 for head gaskets in only 14,000 miles (hmmm, $10 a mile for head gaskets), and finding the THIRD one now leaking, we cut our losses on that unreliable car (with a whopping 52,000 miles on it) and bought my wife a Mazda Protege5, which currently has 48,000 completely trouble-free miles on it. Thanks to Chevy's poor engine design (it was the HEAD, not the GASKET) and refusing to stand behind its own product even when it had a known defect, we will never buy another GM product. Way to hold on to first-time customers, GM!
    Sorry to hear you had so many problems with your 95 Cav. I had a 95 also and had no problems. No leaks or anything. Got rid of it in 2001 when I bought a 2002 Trailblazer.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    GM isn't going broke from 1 bad quarter. GM does need to restructure and get some concessions from the union, but it will not be going anywhere.

Buy a Cobalt and enjoy!
    Bought a Mazda3s wagon two weeks ago.
  • ericf1ericf1 Member Posts: 54
    Went down to my local Chevy dealer, test drove a coupe. Not bad, drives about as well as my current ' 95 Olds Achieva w/V6. Told him I had GM Friends and Family Discount.

So, he said he'd sell me a base coupe, auto tranny, ABS, Side airbags, after trade in for my worthless Olds= $10k.

What I deal! I'm having a hard time resisting. Only thing is it drives no better than my current GM car. Do I want another GM car? For that price?
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    They may however go bust due to all the negatives over the last thirty years. The USA needs a national health care plan soon. Concessions from the union may not be enough.
    Now GM and F could just go into bankruptcy, then let the tax payers pay the benefits owed works, but something tells me the taxpayers won't be smiling. There are sooooo many issues, where would one start. There is customer care, quality control, lack of NEW product, health care, high wages paid to even those not working... it goes on to infinity, or the sad end. The CEO of GM and F have lots of tough decisions to make, and not so many missteps are allowable at this stage of the game. Where is Lee Iaccoa? Give him a call as ask him of a possible protege. Would love to see a return to grandeur of the big three, as long as it is a well earned one. Let's lead ! :D

Loren
    " Went down to my local Chevy dealer, test drove a coupe. Not bad, drives about as well as my current ' 95 Olds Achieva w/V6. Told him I had GM Friends and Family Discount.

So, he said he'd sell me a base coupe, auto tranny, ABS, Side airbags, after trade in for my worthless Olds= $10k.

What I deal! I'm having a hard time resisting. Only thing is it drives no better than my current GM car. Do I want another GM car? For that price? " --end quote --

Well, such-a-deal! Be sure they don't try adding anything to bump the price at the final sale time, like warranty, undercoats and crap. Looks pretty good! As for handling, the crazy Achieva I had would sometimes go into light steering while on the freeway. Yeap, sort of reverse of what assist should do. My Olds 98 Regency had much-much better handling than the Achieva. The Cobalt should handle better, and you can look through better tire options ( wheels too ) at the Tire Rack. I am using Dunlop A2 on the Miata and Toyo Spectrums on the Corolla, but would rather have Toyo Ultra 800 on her. Not that the lesser Toyo is a bad tire. Anyway, good deal on the base car. I got mag wheels for $75 made in Germany, so upgrades are cheap enough. Have fun with the new car.
    My Achieve '92, bought in '93, was traded in on a Corolla '98, which has been very inexpensive to own. No way could they match the $10K deal though.
    Loren
  • jscevjscev Member Posts: 36
    it is a fair comparison. The parts i put on the Cavy were new. Im not talking about speed or engine performance. Im talking about handling. And one can make any car handle well with the right parts. I did that to my Cavy, but the stock celica still out handled hit.
  • jscevjscev Member Posts: 36
    Ya i know in 95 they redisined the cavy. But they still make base models and Z24s. The base bodel was a 2.2L thats what i had. They also made 2.4L DOHC which was the Z24 model. Maybe you should research into that if you never knew. I have a friend whop has a 94 Z24 3.1 V6. I also have a friend that has a 96 Z24 2.4L DOHC. so i know what i am tlaking about.
    Wagon? So sorry. ;-)
    Why? It's a better car than the sedan (and I just came from a Protege sedan). I've been drooling all over my wife's Protege5 (wagon) since we bought it for her back in 2002.
    wagon's aren't my thing. My wife drives our van.

;-)
    I do know what I am talking about when it comes to the Cavalier. I owned a 1986 RS model with the 2.0L, a 1995 with the 2.2L and now a 1998 Z24. Guess I know what I am talking about since I owned all three models!!!!!
  • avemanaveman Member Posts: 122
    what genuis merged the Cavalier forum with the Cobalt forum.Edmuns should fix the problem because I find it confusing.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Aveman's sarcasm notwithstanding, this is not the place to be discussing the Cavalier in such depth. Let's try to stick to the Cobalt. Everyone is welcome to continue the other line of thinking at this link: Chevrolet Cavalier.

Thanks.
    Here is a good name change for the SS.... the Kobolt Kompressor :surprise:
    Change the car to rear wheel drive, and go with double wishbone suspension,
    for $22K, and it may be a pretty good value play. Looks like th Cobalt SS at
    say $22K less the usual $2,500 or so off, offers some road fun for those with
    the need for speed, and wanting FWD for the snow country. Not sure it will do
    well against the V6 Stang though here in California. It will be a good test indeed
    between Ford and Chevy to see which has the most problems on a new car.
    Would in no way want to bet on that one. Both will have a few problem areas,
    but what is most important is what areas of the car need attention, and if any
    are major design flaws. Cobalt, as far as I know, does not have the fueling problems
    like the Mustangs, so that is a good thing.
    Loren
    I am not sure which transmission optio to choose. I think I would go with the manual for improved gas mileage.Overtime the cost will be closer, because the manual will need a new clutch. Here is a link that mentions new features for the manual and automatic in the cobalt.For specs check out gm.com and look for powertrain under brands.

http://www.j-body.org/faq/20/
    Well that depends on the car, and the driver as to which tranny, manual or automatic needs more dollars in repairs. Driven correctly, as in not burning the clutch, the manual is cheaper to own, and as long as you are not in serious traffic jams, or lots of stop lights, it is more fun. You have more control over the car and get better gas mileage too ( in most cars ). An automatic, on the other hand, can be a pleasure to own when traffic is stop and go, or the driver is not able to master the clutch thing. Oh yes, and master taking off from a stop moving uphill is also important with a clutch. An automatic is an expensive item when it dies compared to a manual, which should not require major dollars for upkeep unless something was wrong when manufactured, or the drive abuses the poor thing. Like the control of a manual when cornering or going down hill, and the fun of shifting. Before getting the manual Cobalt, I would do a good long test drive to see have the stick feels and the clutch engages. Check to see how heavy the feel is, and try the downshifts too. I made the mistake of buying an Olds Starfire with a manual. You needed two strong men and a boy to push the clutch in and over time the plate holding the cable through the firewall actually came right on through the wall. Yeap, it pulled through the metal. And the clutch or the throw can be clunky too, so do a long enough drive to form an opinion. And if ya need a laugh for the day, just remember, I bought a Starfire! In some quirky way, that car was still fun, though it sold for nearly scrap in five years time.
    When you are young, it's all fun!
    :shades: Loren
  • npgmbrnpgmbr Member Posts: 248
    Have seen a few Cobalts on the road in DC and Northern VA. They look much nicer in person thats for sure.

One thing that I did really like: I saw a black sedan cobalt with chrome accents like the back of the side view mirrors, door handels, and trim.

That was a nice addition which makes the sedan look much more interesting. Haven't seen a coupe yet but from what I've seen in the pics it looks great (minus that horrific wing). :D
    Let me ask ya, which one looks better, at least in photos, the Cobalt or the Fusion? GM will have some real competition from Ford this time. The article I read said the estimated price on the Fusion is $16-20K, which to me means they are also competing with the Focus, as prices seem close. Maybe that is the confusion of fusion? Anyway, I saw a 4dr. Cobalt for $19K + which seems a little steep. Is the Cobalt to compete with Accord and Camry like the Fusion is said to? I see it as a bigger Civic, though I am still not convinced it is a better choice. Cobalt is pretty good looking, but the Fusion I think is better, but that is personal opinion. If the Fusion handles like the Mazda6, I think GM has really stiff competition coming out soon. Maybe in the $13K to $16K range, the Cobalt makes the most sense.
    :shades: Loren
  • dontshopthewaldontshopthewal Member Posts: 49
    I thought the Ford Fusion was to replace the Taurus and compete with models in the family sedan class, which is a step up from the Cobalt's class.. :confuse:
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    The Focus matches the Cobalt, Neon, Golf, Corolla etc.

The Fusion doesn't match - smaller than Accord, Malibu, Camry.

The Five Hundred doesn't match - much larger than Accord, Malibu, Camry - even Impala.

So right now Ford is a little out of sync with its sizing. The Fusion is closer in size to the new Jetta.

Personally I think that's fine, it gives shoppers real choices. But if you are looking for a Camry/Accord alternative, you have to downsize to a Fusion or upsize to a Five Hundred.
  • dontshopthewaldontshopthewal Member Posts: 49
    I understand now.. Thanks.
    Do they have the size listed on the Fusion yet? I would say the Cobalt is one tick above the Focus, and in size the Corolla, with the Fusion, being a larger Mazda6 more in the class of the Accord and Malibu. If priced somewhere close to a Cobalt, it will be a good shoot-out competition between Fusion and Cobalt. The Malibu I suppose is to be the GM equivelant or the Fusion and Accord, but due to higher pricing and bland looks, I don't see it doing much. I see some Malibu Maxx out there, and they seem to sell. Price seems way out there to me, but it does look like it is selling, to the credit of Chevy, people seem to like the big rectangle. Yeah, in some strange way, it is sorta an interesting rectangle. Cobalt matched against Focus is an interesting match up and I can see Cobalt winning, as long as the price is somewhat comparable. You know that once you get to the bottom line. Price, as you know, with GM and Ford is REALLY negotionable. Cobalt, Focus and Fusion, all in their own way are quite possibly pretty good cars which are made in America. Good gas mileage and a low price, with what appears to be improving quality, may bring some customer back. Now, the reality check will be the resale value, how well it goes forward with recalls, what Japan will offer in the next couple of years, and how many have faith in GM and Ford. My take is that Cobalt is a better car previous efforts by Chevy in it's size class, Focus is getting old with people and the Euro version should hit the USA shores, and that Fusion should be a good hit if the price stays low enough. The Mada6, it is based on, is a good car. Cobalt, to me, is a car which fits well into the $13k to $16K range. That is just my opion, and doesn't mean other's are wrong buying souped up models. Just my personal feelings on this car and other cars in its class. As price goes higher, I personally would rather move up to the next car. Resale seems to bear out my theory on diminishing return for adding too much to a car from its base price / models, when you sell or trade that car in. :shades:
    Loren
    And in size, the Cobalt is a VW Golf/Jetta clone, which actually makes it SMALLER than a Focus. Remember, the Focus adopts that new "sit up and beg" pseudo minvan/SUV seatig position - so although the wheelbase, length, and width are similar, interior volume and spaciousness are quite different. In fact, the "normal" (by today's standards, low) seating position in the Cobalt makes it feel cramped compared to the Scion xA, which is really a much smaller car but gains a spacious feel from the "sit up and beg" layout.

The Cobalt is quite a fine VW Golf/Jetta clone, by the way, and doesn't feel any more cramped than a Civic. I just wish they'd done some forward thinking and aimed at the NEW Jetta instead of the old one in terms on dimensions - after all, the weight of the Cobalt, due to its solid body, is up there with the new Jetta. Ironically, it weighs almost the same as the Malibu! In its current sizing, the Cobalt is a woman's/college male (pre-girth expansion) car, too small for families (except single mom's). The trunk is its major failing, the opening is much smaller than on the Cavalier, I think you could fit a wheelie (hard sided airplane carry on) or soft sided bags through there, but watch out for anything bigger - it would fit in the trunk, but you won't be able to get it in there!

The Cobalt's big plus is, it is ideal for a second car, commuter; stay at home spouse takes the larger, lower gas mileage car, commuting spouse takes the Cobalt. Compared to the next best car (actually better, except for the lousy side impact crashes), the Focus, the Cobalt has a much stronger engine. Also, Chevy has a better track record than Ford on initial run "bugs". The Focus was a disaster at introduction! Despite the bigger, stronger engine, the Cobalt is rated with essentially the same mileage as the Focus. I would choose the Cobalt over the Focus or similar cars based on the safety alone.

I'd put the categories like this:

1. Cobalt/Civic/Neon/old Jetta - similar size, Cobalt heavier due to more solid construction. Cobalt passes the new, very demanding www.IIHS.org side impact test.

2. Focus, new Jetta. Focus fails the side impact test, new Jetta passes.

3. Fusion/Mazda6 (virtually identical). The Mazda6 fails the new side impact test - it was tested without side curtain airbags and Mazda did not offer to pay for a test with side curtain airbags (the IIHS will only test with side airbags if the manufacturer pays for it, unless side airbags are standard). Presumably Mazda did not pay for a retest, because they are probably retooling to reinforce the body for 2006, like Honda did between the 2004 failed CR-V and the 2005 CR-V with standard side curtain airbags which passed - but only after the body had been beefed up. I think it is fairly safe to assume the 2006 Fusion will incorporate a beefed up cage around the doors, but we can't be certain until testing.

4. Accord/Camry/Malibu. The Malibu feels cheap to me in comparison to the fit and finish on the Cobalt. It is really plane jane compared to its competitors.

5. Five Hundred. Haven't drive it or sat in one, but it is pretty big.
    I don't think I would want to test out the theory of a bag between me and an SUV saving my life. Some of those monsters will run through, or over the car, with little left to even tell the poor little car was actually a car. As long as the car has a good overall safety record, like say a Mustang, I would say safe enough. All cars are ten times safer than those I grew up with back in the 50's or pre- '68 cars. I am sure you can add side bags, and even knee bags and such which add even more safety. Well maybe not for hearing loss. And it is not so safe for the rescue team. So a Cobalt is possibly aimed at the old Jetta, which is OK I guess, in that it has HP and does not burn a quart of oil per 1,000 miles. Is it a better deal than a Civic? Depends on what a person wants and expects from a car, I guess. Will keep an eye on the Fusion. It may be a better value. In coupes, the Mustang, now in the first stages of discounts, looks more and more like a bargain. It is sub $20k and falling. My guess it can be had within 6 mo. time for under $18,500. The car has some bugs though, so I would hold off a year or so to see the degree of troubles. As for value, the Mustang is cheaper than the Cobalt SS, and seems like an easy choice as a pick over the little FWD car. For gas mileage the Civic HX rules at 44 MPG.
    Loren
    micweb, I'm wondering if you test drove a Cobalt coupe or sedan.As for how much car you get for your money, All car companies seem to be adding features to the small cars and increasing the price. The good news is that they are still offering basic models for folks light on cash,like me.This is more in line with what is going on in the rest of the world.I think the cobat is actually packaged pretty well.I do whish fog lights were a stand alone option on the LS. I would always check the fog light box if available as a point of safety. However the sales manager types have deemed fog lights as a status feature for folks with bucks.At least you get standard seat height adjustment in all cobalts.I did not sit low at all in the sedan I checked out.I also think the spoiler should be a stand alone option.Any cobalt with a spoiler would not go home with me without.I don't think they look terrible but they block vision and what is the point.also I always wonder if the tack on spoiler actualy adds aero drag to the car.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I still can't believe they haven't corrected it.

Check out www.iihs.org for the tested weights of the 3 Cobalts used: All were about 2820 pounds. This makes sense as the Cobalt is built on the same platform as the Saturn ION, which weighs around 2770 pounds. If you believe the Chevy website, this would mean the Cobalt weighs as much as the Malibu!
  • gkxpgkxp Member Posts: 12
    Hello, it's been awhile since I have posted here at Edmunds, but I thought I would throw my 2 cents in on my thoughts on the new Cobalt. I drive about 80-100K miles a year and have done so for the last 7-8 years. I trade vehicles often and have OWNED many cars in this class. I have owned a Chevy Cavalier/Prizm (Corolla twin), Pontiac Sunfire, Honda Civic & Insight, Hyundai Elantra, Kia Sephia, Suzuki Aerio/Swift/Forenza, VW Golf, Ford Escort, Nissan Sentra and Dodge Neon & Stratus. I also rent vehicles very often and have recently rented the new Chevy Malibu Maxx, Pontiac Grand AM and this new Chevy Cobalt. My Wife has had nicer vehicles and keeps them longer (a class up from my economy/value cars) because she doesn't drive so many miles and she has had a Mercury Mountaineer and a Nissan Maxima.

I rented the new Cobalt from Alamo and I have to say I could not believe this was a Chevy. Among the most impressive things to me were; 1)the leg room is enormous! (seems best in class to me, I am 6'1"), 2)the Kia Spectra/VW Golf seat-height adjustment handle, 3)NVH, this car is quiet! I can't believe that there are no rattles are vibrations that make there way into the cabin like on most other GM cars. The NVH is really up to Hyundai/Kia and Toyota Standards in this car, 4)The Driver Information Center on a $15000 car??, I couldn't believe that either. I am not sure that there are any other $14-$15K cars with this option and 5)The GREAT Ecotec 4 Cylinder Engine carried over from the Cavalier. This engine may not provide the superior MPG of the Corolla and Civic, but on my rental (that I drove pretty fast/hard) I achieved 29MPG and that is nearly as good as the 31MPG I achieved with my 1.8L Toyota VVTi Engine in my Prizm, but with seemingly much more power.

The other car I was considering with the Cobalt were the new Kia Spectra. First thing I should say is that both are very refined in terms of NVH. The Spectra has a better warranty (even though Chevy just upped the powertrain to 5YR/60,000) but was so much more maintenance intensive. It had a timing belt that needed to be changed every 60K ($400 job) versus the Cobalt's timing chain that never needs to be replaced. Also the Cobalt has long-life fluids that have extended change times that the Spectra did not have. The last deciding factor was the engines. With the Cobalt's 2.2L Ecotec, I get a much quicker car with the same MPG as a Spectras 2.0L, a WIN-WIN for me.

I looked at another class-leader, the Mazda 3, but in my opinion the design was not as conservative as the Cobalt's (I prefer conservative long-lasting good looks to trendy fad looks) and the price was more. I know the 3 is a tick faster, but I liked the Cobalt's legroom and Driver Information Center quite a bit. I think conservative styling is the right way for Chevy to have gone with the Cobalt as conservative styling is what works for the last generation compact class leaders, the Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla.

Bottom line, if you are looking in the compact class, you have to put aside the past with the "less than stellar" Cavalier/Sunfire Twins and give GM another chance. This time there shouldn't be the "recall" issues of the past as the engine/trans are proven carryovers from the Cavalier. I also hope that GM stops with the ridiculous $4000-$5000 rebates as this car doesn't need them to compete in the class and those rebates may make for sales, but they also anger current GM Owners as it kills their resale values and at $14K starting price this car is pretty fairly priced right out of the box versus the overpriced Cavalier.

This Chevy Cobalt and even the Pontiac G6 (and other recent vehicles from Buick, Cadillac) are "Genesis" Cars for GM and if they continue down this path, I think GM Brands will be the "must-have" brands of the future like today with Nissan and Toyota. Remember, at one time people laughed at those "funny Japanese Cars" with the funny names and look at Toyota, Honda and Nissan now. I look for the Cobalt to start winning comparos in Motor Trend and Car and Driver soon and if you are in the market for a high-quality premium compact car the Cobalt may be right for you too. I love mine!
    I think I would wait another year on both. From what I have read hear on these message boards, Mazda3 may have a few problems, though I do NOT see them listed in the 2005 year Consumer Reports. Between a Mazda3 sedan and the Cobalt looks wise inside and out, I'd say Mazda wins. The regular Mazda3 sedan is not really radical in design, and has a nice Euro flavor to it. Should be interesting when they do test some day of all the cars in this class. Looks like Cobalt may be some pretty good competition. I have my doubts about the interior lasting as long as the Japan makes. The styling is OK, and maybe better than just OK in the coupe. If they do not come equipped with problems leading to 6 to 8 trips back to the dealership, I would be even more impressed with the Cobalt. Now that would be a revolution... or is that an evolution. If I was looking for economy, I would just get the Civic HX, with 44 MPG hwy. No single engine gas car is going to beat that. Best resale too.
    Loren
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    With all this talk of alternatives, I must chime in, a bit late, to add that if assembled in America is important to you, the Cobalt is. Earlier, reference was made to the Fusion from Ford being an American car. The Fusion/Mercury Milan is to be assembled in Mexico.

Just thought some would want to know...
    Mexico is in North America. Cobalt is made in USA then. That is a good thing, I guess. For employment, that is a good. My Corolla was made in Fremont, CA, and it was screwed together pretty good. A mystery rattle when new, but what ever it was fell off and no problems later on. For quality control who knows. The plant in Mexico that makes the PT seems to produce good product. If the USA goes for national health care, maybe we could build more cars here. The cars I owned, made in America (usa), in the 70's, 80's and 90's have been less than impressive. I think this has most to do with cheap parts, though problems at plants in the way of assembly have been noted over the years. Give the worker better parts, better engineering / planning for a car, and things will improve. That said, I imagine it still is hard to fire screw-up people on the assembly line, though I am NOT privy to that info. Maybe all is well, and life is just like in the commercials for relationships between labor and management.
    Loren
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I have been thinking of getting a mid-size or larger car for the last couple of years, but the Cobalt is grabbing my attention as a very good all around driver.

It appears to be Chevrolet's current answer to the import sport coupes, sedans. Saturn was the import fighter, but competition, and slow model introduction hurt them in the last few years. I think the Cobalt is priced for what it is, and competes well with imports in its premium compact car catagory. It is built on a solid chassis foundation shared with the Malibu, Saab, and Opel.

As good as the Cobalt is, I still haven't decided if I want to go Cobalt or not. I like a variety of cars-CTS, Grand Prix, Malibu, Impala, Lacrosse, and probably the bargain of the auto industry, the Chevy Aveo. With the Aveo, I would have a lot of money left over, but the Cobalt would be a nice upgrade from that.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    The Aveo is more of a waste of hard earned money than it is a bargain, IMO. Junky shifter, low power coupled with poor fuel economy (why do automatic equipped 160 horsepower 3200 lb Accords have the same highway rating?), no side curtains, low resale value, questionable Daewoo reliability, etc. At the Aveo's price point, Im not sure I understand why one wouldnt consider a certified used ANYTHING else with greater refinement and engineering.

If you're in the market for a small small car, wait for the new Accent/Rio that will debut in the Fall, which, Im sure, will blow the Aveo away.

~alpha
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    did anyone see the Chevy Cobalt from saturday's Grand-Am Cup race?">
    Some Cobalts are made in USA , and some Cobalts are made in Mexico.It is good that some of them are made here.
  • ron_mron_m Member Posts: 186
    Glad to hear that you love your new Cobalt! They are indeed great-looking cars. At least to me they are anyway. I have a few questions for you since I have never taken a Cobalt for a test drive.

1) Is the electronic-assisted steering still fairly tight feeling if you have to swerve quickly to avoid debris on the highway? In other words, how's the tolerance in the steering mechanism?

2) How is the shoulder/elbow room for the driver and front passenger when speaking in terms of the average-sized male?

3) How smoothly does the transmission shift through all of the gears?

I've been thinking about taking one out for a test drive soon.

Ron M.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    All Cobalt production is at the Lordstown plant in Ohio. I believe that all production will stay in the U.S. The plant in Mexico that previously produced some Sunfires/Cavaliers is now building the HHR.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I disagree with you about the Aveo being a waste of money. If someone was to buy a bare bones Aveo and keep it at least 5-7 years, it would pay for itself, and the resale value would not be much of an issue.

I also disagree about the refinement comment. The Aveo is very refined, accept for its motor which from what I understand has only received a recent fuel injection upgrade. 103 hp is plenty for this size car. They are as quick, or quicker than its competition, and fairly economical with a close to 30 mpg over-all average. In the Aveo forums there are people getting between 35-40 mpg on the highway.

Motorweek road test picked the Aveo over the Toyota Echo, the Focus, and the KIA.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    We aren't here to discuss the Aveo, but I bet after 5-7 years there will be MANY Cobalts still on the road. I am not at all willing to say the same for the Aveo. I also bet GM will still be selling parts, service and probably new Cobalts. The same cannot be said with reasonable assurance about the Aveo.
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    The Chevy Malibu (new design, not the classic) has throttle-by-wire now. So far, so good.

And unless you __really__ enjoy new model teething problems, you might want give the Cobalt a year to sort itself out. By then you will have more engine and option choices.
    As with any new model there are going to be problems. At least Chevy had a chance to study problems with the Ion, related to the chassis,steering and suspension. Also the engine/transmission combos are not new.Hopefully it won't take long to sort out problems.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A writer with a national magazine is writing an article on 8 cars that are under $20K for families on a budget or as a 2nd or 3rd car. He is looking for parents with young children who have recently purchased or are planning to purchase any one of the following vehicles: VW Jetta the new “Value Edition”, Chevy Cobalt (with SAB), Mitsubishi Galant, Toyota Matrix, Pontiac Vibe, Ford Focus Wagon, Honda Element, Kia Sorento or Dodge Caravan. The writer would like to know if they like it, dislike it, what are the family-style features and what kind of deal did you get on the car? If you fit what the writer is looking for, please email your responses to kholguin@edmunds.com by May 13, 2005.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    Cobalt - 22,76

Pretty good.
    I'd like to correct my posting. The website I initially looked at indicated a weight for the Cobalt of about 3200 pounds. This website must have been in error; since then other websites have been showing 2800 pounds, slightly heavier than some other cars this size (like the Neon and Cavalier) but certainly not in Malibu territory.
    Great post based on an enviable record of experience! Makes me want to try a Cobalt again. Impressive side impact test results....
  • scott1256scott1256 Member Posts: 531
    are way up - 22,700+ units sold. Sales must be reflecting the excellent side impact ratings. I think buyers are realizing this vehicle is a real contender in its class.

Chevrolet car sales as a whole are up 7.6% for 2005 year to date (January thru April).