Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Cobalt

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Thanks, imidazol97, but I am NOT a do-it-yourself kind of guy. I mess things up when I try that. :)

I have checked with the dealer, and they referred me to one of those places that I menitoned in my first post.

Tom
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Those prices are fair, especially if they are giving your steering wheel or stalk controls. A simpler installation glues a push button panel to your dash which activates the cruise via a low powered rf signal.

Rostra is a brand that seems to make a lot of these.
    Thanks, micweb. I was wondering if those prices were in line.

So, I guess I have to decide just how badly I really want cruise. Right now, I don't think I want it $400 worth, but I could change my mind.

I would want it to be just like "factory," if I got it.

Tom
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    The current issue has an article on cars their readers won't purchase again. 46% of them won't purchase another Cobalt sedan. I can't figure out what is wrong with the Cobalt. I've rented a lot of compacts and find that most of them are pretty much alike. Some have fancier interiors but I have had nothing but good luck with my 09 LT1 coupe. I understand that the 05's and 06's had small problems -squeaks, small warranty things and most of the bugs are gone now. Of course everybody loves their Japanese cars -typical CR readership.
  • steve333steve333 Member Posts: 201
    Whenever I bring my '06 Cobalt LT Sedan to the dealer for an oil change they always set my tires to 35psi even though the doorjam says they should be 30psi.
    Same thing happens at Discount Tire. I went for a rotation and they set the tires to 35psi and said it was better at that level.
    I'm confused-what psi do you guys keep your 'Balt at?

Also my car is riding horribly. It almost feels like my shocks/struts have no fluid in them, its that rough over bumps. Also, now my car doesnt even handle properly-it feels tippy around turns where it used to at least handle well (kinda made up for the rough ride!). Also, on the Freeway here in SD the car has terrible back and forth action on the grooved freeways (brand new Michelins did not help at all).
    I am very dissapointed in the way the car is riding. Its really the only thing that bothers me about the car, but, hey, thats a pretty big issue.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    Get a quality tire gauge of our own. Set your tires to a pressure you want when stone cold in your driveway after sitting outside all night e.g. Remember the ambient temperature changes the pressure about 1 pound per 10 degrees (F) of temperature rise of drop.

I often run a couple or three pounds above the recommended. I have Michelin tires on my cars but they're not Cobalt.

As for being sensitive to wiggle on grooved roads, that's most likely a function of the alignment. It should be set to perfect--especially for the rear. This is one time it might be worth a dealer visit for the alignment over the local tire store, depending on the experience and attitude of the guy on the alignment rack.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I'm going to try them on 32psi then. Its about 55 degrees here in the AM so that shouldnt affect the pressure that much. So, 2 pounds over the doorjam amount and I'll see how it goes.
    I had a alignment from the dealer and tires balanced, didnt seem to help much. I was told that the tire treads get caught in the grooves in the freeway, more with some tires than most, but who knows if they were just storying me.
    My '09 Cobalt has no problems with NorCal rain grooves, my '09 Focus does. Go figure. The last 10 or so cars I've had with stock or aftermarket tires have had no rain groove problems. If it bothers you a lot, try switching to a tire with a much different tread design. Falken ZE512's, Kumho KH16's, Bridgestone 960's (mine were the last gen 950's) are all tires I've had good experience with.

As for your ride being harsh, go test drive a new Cobalt and see if it is better or the same. Ride is very subjective, and also depends on the roads. The Cobalt has a nice ride imho and by most 3rd party accounts (including the recent test on this Edmunds site). While there could be a shot shock or strut on your car, it's unlikely these days. Bounce each corner (get out of the car and shove each corner of the car up and down) and see if you notice anything out of balance between corners.

If you need to replace a strut or shock, a replacement Chevy part shouldn't cost that much. Generally I Google to find an online dealer that discounts parts and use my VIN (i.d. from my car) to order from them then have it installed at the lowest cost shop in my area. Tire Rack has a good list of recommended installers for shocks and tires.

35 psi is what I run all my cars at. It used to seem high, I got used to it, it's better handling, better tire wear, better mileage, and more margin for error if you lose some air. But get a good tire pressure gauge, go to a Napa parts store and get their "pencil" style gauge which is cheap and accurate. Don't fall for the "digital readout" gimmicks. CR gave the Napa gauge good marks for accuracy and repeatability.
    I see no reason NOT to run the recommended tire pressure, especially with the original equipment tires. Overinflation will make the car ride rough, not handle as well, and will cause the tires to wear out in the middle. Underinflation will accelerate the wear on the inner and outer edges of the tires.

I go with the recommended 30 psi, and I am happy with the ride and handling. Time will tell as far as how evenly the tires will wear.

Tom
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    Run my fronts around 36 with rears around 32 on both of my LTs.

For years I've always ran a bit higher pressure on my front tires, if front wheel drive. Have seen a more even wear pattern on several vehicles.
    I don't know why GM makes this information so hard to find, but here is a fact sheet from the GM public relations department on some of the technology incorporated into the 2.2L engine that powers our Cobalts. It's fun to learn that, yes, GM DOES have a great engineering side to its operations, and isn't all about cutting costs:

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/2009/Stories/Ecotec/09_LAP- _n.doc

alternately, go to media.gm.com and search for

2009 Ecotec 2.2L

Just cut and paste this string and drop it in their search box, and after the initial search comes back, check the "Powertrains" subheading in the left column to narrow the search. Also be sure to check the "search for all words" button under the search box, and after you follow those two steps, item 5 should be the link to the article. Like I said, GM's public relations department doesn't make a gearhead's life any easier, but the article is worth reading. Here are some interesting exercerpts:

"The [2009] Ecotec 2.2L starts with a refined engine block, introduced for 2006 with the Ecotec 2.4L I-4 VVT (RPO LE5). The Gen II block was developed with data acquired in racing programs and the latest math-based tools. Both the bore walls and bulkheads, or the structural elements that support the crank bearings, have been strengthened, with only a minimal weight increase (approximately 2.5 pounds). The coolant jackets have been expanded, allowing more precise bore roundness and improving the block’s ability to dissipate heat. Coolant capacity increases approximately .5 liter."

"The [2009] Ecotec 2.2L VVT I-4 also benefits from cylinder head refinements introduced on the 2.4L VVT. The exhaust ports have been enlarged slightly to expel exhaust gas more efficiently."

The 2009 Ecotec 2.2 used in the Cobalt apparently also has improved materials for the valve seats and certain other engine parts to allow it to use E85 fuels in certain applications. Although only the HHR version is certified for E85 use, APPARENTLY all 2.2s have the durability upgrades, but only the HHR version has the revised fuel injectors that allow higher volumes of fuel delivery which is required with the lower-energy E85 fuel (so don't go trying to run E85 in your Cobalt! - it's apparently very corrosive stuff). The ECM in the HHR reprograms the engine "on the fly" based on feedback from the O2 sensors and other engine sensors to adapt to ANY mix of E85 - which is great since the first and last tanks of E85 are going to have a different percentage of alcohol until the gasoline is all flushed out when you start using E85 and until the E85 is all flushed out when you switch back to gas. (It's not clear that non-Flex Fuel vehicles, like our 2009 Cobalts, also have the same software programming, but given that other portions of the article stress GM's desire to have uniform manufacturing as much as possible across the 2.2 line, and given the fact that many states mandate E10 - 10% ethanol - for ALL vehicles, very likely the Ecotec does have this "fine tuning on the fly" ability - GM brags about the much higher engine sample rate used in ALL the 2.2 versions, for example.)

The VVT or variable valve timing system used in the Ecotec isn't a primitive system - it arrives to the Cobalt with completely variable valve timing on BOTH intake and exhaust valves, and the variability is NOT just linked to RPM - it's also linked to driving loads, and throttle usage. I think this is what Toyota offers on its VVTi or "variable valve timing with intelligence" system. So if you get on the gas pedal while at low rpm, the engine reprograms the camshaft timing from optimal fuel economy mode to optimal performance mode RIGHT AWAY not 2,000 rpm later.

Of somewhat more technical interest (to the gearhead, of course) is that fact that GM seems to operate the 2.2 in mild "Atkinson" cycle mode (if I got that right):

"The cam phaser is timed to hold the intake valve open a short time longer than a normal engine, allowing a reverse flow into the intake manifold. This reduces the effective compression ratio, allowing the expansion ratio to increase while retaining normal combustion pressures. [That's the "Atkinson" effect vs. the traditional "Otto" 4 stroke cycle.] Efficiency is gained because the high expansion ratio delivers a longer power stroke and reduces the heat wasted in the exhaust. This increase in efficiency comes at the expense of some power from the lower effective compression ratio, but that can be compensated for by the overall higher mechanical compression ratio. [As we know, the Ecotec 2.2 has 155 hp and 150 lb-ft of torque this year, up considerably from last year, so apparently the performance has only improved, not been hurt.]"

If you download the h.p./torque chart for the 2.2 (a different document from the link above), you'll see that at higher rpm the torque doesn't fall off, it stays strong and h.p. keeps increasing. The Cobalt cries out for a 5 speed! (And the "old," "non-fuel economy maximizng" ECM software on the automatics - the newly programmed automatics don't like to downshift as easily as before.)
  • iluvnannyiluvnanny Member Posts: 5
    I already posted this in another forum and reposting is probably poor form but oh well i really need an answer to this question. all the websites and forums say the 2009 cobalts are bluetooth capable but mine refuses to let me hook it up. the gm website says to push the call button and say 'blue tooth' but that isnt working. any ideas?
    Bluetooth connectability is an option. Check your sticker and make sure that your radio is Bluetooth capable.
  • AmunhotepAmunhotep Member Posts: 8
    The Bluetooth is available in the MyLink package option. According to the 2009 Cobalt manual, you need to set up your cell phone for Bluetooth. Press the phone button on the Onstar mirror. You should hear "ready", then say "Bluetooth", it responds with "Bluetooth ready" and a tone. Say "pair", and the response is instructions and a 4 digit PIN number that will be needed later. Start the pairing process on the cell phone following your cell phone instructions (see your cell phone manual). Locate "General Motors" in the list on your phone, follow the instructions and enter the PIN number from above on your phone. The system prompts you for a name for the phone. Say a name that will describe the phone such as "Car Cell" or "Cobalt Phone" or what ever you want. The system will repeat the name which indicates the pairing has been successful.

Again, as stated above, if you did not purchase the option for Bluetooth then it is not set up for that.
  • iluvnannyiluvnanny Member Posts: 5
    yeah okay im a moron. i did not get the bluetooth package. thanks tho for the help.
    You are certainly not a moron. The dumb people are the people who don't ask questions. I'm glad we answered yours.
    I too have a question. If I don't resubscribe to OnStar next September will I still be able to get XM Radio (which looks like it shares an antenna with OnStar) and Bluetooth? Thanks - Karl
  • okko1okko1 Member Posts: 327
    xm is a seprate subscription you can have one or both. :shades:
  • okko1okko1 Member Posts: 327
    road and track .com says the 2008 cobalt ss/tc is the most fun and very capable pulling only 0.02 g less ferrari f430 on 200ft skid pad. also faster thru the slalom at 72.4 mph. detriot still makes rock and roll :P
    I thought it was. I won't be subscribing to On Star next fall but will keep XM radio. Thanks!
    Don't be afraid to negotiate with Sirius-XM when you sign up for service after your free trial period. I was just able to get a year's service for $77.00.

I got my free three months' subscription with the purchase of the car, and it ran out in September. I did not renew, and about a month later I got an offer from XM to renew for three months at $4.99 per month. I took them up on that, and that subscription just ran out. I was going to cancel again, but they offered me another three months for $4.99 per month. I asked if there was a longer-term special deal, and the lady said I could get a one year subscription for $77.00, and that sounded good to me.

I really enjoy my XM Radio ... well, I guess it is Sirius-XM Radio now. I have pretty much locked in on the 50s channel, which plays songs from the late 50s and early 60s.

One thing you must be aware of is that the subscription continues to be active after the special deal expires, and you will be billed for the full price for service received after the end of the special deal period. I will have to pay a pro-rated fee for January 3 though January 15 plus the $77.00 that will keep my account active until January 16, 2010. I knew that my three month special deal should have expired by now, but I didn't know exactly when it did. I got an invoice in the mail that told me that I was now paying the full monthly fee. Apparently, my special three month deal ended January 2, 2009, but my service was continued at the full monthly rate.

Tom
  • ROCKETSENSEROCKETSENSE Member Posts: 1
    My sister in law has had a lot of trouble with her 2005 Cobalt.
    This past week the Transmission went out.
    The car has about 60k miles.
    Cost of repair (approx $3k) will almost be 1/2 of it's market value.
    I checked for recalls - none were Transmission related.
    What can and/or should she do ?
    With the deals they have going nowadays, it might be a good idea for her to investigate trading it in on a new one, even though she would get a very low trade-in allowance with the transmission being like it is. There are some KILLER deals out there, and it might make more sense to trade rather than invest $3000 in that car.

She would have something that is under warranty, if she gets a new one.

Tom
    The new Cobalts also have a 100k Powertrain warranty. I would talk to the Zone office about the transmission. If you have met the maintenance recommendations, bought the car new, and patronized the local dealer they may help with the cost of a transmission. Perhaps also the transmission can be repaired or rebuilt. Don't just take the word of one dealer or repair place. It is very rare for a transmission to fail at 60k miles unless it was abused and I would think that Chevrolet might help you. Don't just turn the car in. It might be worth more on Ebay for somebody's parts car. If you fix the transmission or replace it and can realize the cost when you sell it privately you might be ahead. You'll get auction price for the car even if it is in perfect shape if you turn it in. It is worth a thousand or so to put an ad in the paper.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    Get some other estimates. This could be a simple fix. Some shops are nortorious for lying to customers about what is wrong. I don't recall the name of the transmission chain, but about 10-years ago they were busted by undercover investigators for claiming cars had bad transmissions when it was something minor or they didn't do any work at all other than plugging in a lose wire connector.

GM's are known for excellent transmissions/engines, that is why companies such as Jaguar, Lincoln, BMW, Rolls Royce, and many others have used them. GM currently sells 6-speed transmissions to BMW among others.
    On p. 56 of the current CR is a list of small car ratings. Cobalt is third from the bottom. For the life of me I can't figure out what in hell is wrong with the Cobalt. I have about 3,000 miles on my 2009 LT1 Coupe with no problems at all. 22-24 around town and as much as 38 on the road. Rides like an Impala. Plenty of foot, head, and shoulder room. CD storage space in the console could be better but all in all it is a good car. The first two cars in their small car test - Honda Fit and Suzuki SX4 have choppy rides but they like them because of reliability. To me ride is everything. I could care less about power,and long term reliability. I want adequate room inside and, a good ride. Cobalt offers both along with good gas mileage. I may cancel my subscription to CR. I'll tell them that my bird died and he liked to read CR in his cage so I don't need the magazine anymore.
    I think Volvo was in the group for transmissions--might have been before Ford bought it. I recall touring the AC compressor factory here in Dayton (Harrison) and having them tell what vehicles they made AC compressors for. It was impressive. This was at least 15 years ago.

I don't get that either. My Cobalt isn't the best car in its class but it sure as heck is better than a Kia Rio or Spectra!
    Does your Coupe have the 15 or 16 inch tires?
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    My aunt bought a 2009 Cobalt Sedan LT.
    She picked it up last week. Today she said that if the front wheels aren't straight the car won't start.
    I told her that it was impossible. What the heck could prevent a car to start if the wheels aren't straight?
    She called a towing and told the man why the car wouldn't start, he laughed, he put the wheels straight and at his surprise... it started. The car is now at the dealer.
    I just can't figure this one out?
    The only thing I can think of is maybe the wheels weren't locked and moving the steering wheel made them lock properly. The car won't start otherwise.
    They will probably change the sensor.
  • kochisekochise Member Posts: 5
    Would like a website to purchase some side molding for my base model cobalt. Would like to pimp it up a little to make it look like a ss version. (I wish)
    thanks

Is #2 in chrome what you're looking for? I found this on gmpartsdirect under front door and then trim.

I'd also suggest rockauto.com

Mine has the 15" tires. I made the mistake of buying it off the lot. If I had ordered it I would have gotten the LT2 with 16" tires and the Pioneer speakers. I wouldn't have wasted money on remote start or the spoiler.
    Well, Discount Tires is always running specials on wheel and tire packages, although I found the car to ride better on the 15's.
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    I currently own a 2007 LTZ sedan, and the headlights have a real sharp cutoff. Obviously this has been an issue since the day I bought it, and it was not a deal breaker. The question I have is has anyone replaced the light bulbs and have you had better results? Any info would be helpful
    I like the way mine rides. Glad I got the 15" tires then. I've always had cars with 16" tires and this car rides the same as my 2006 Impala did. Actually I prefer this to the Impala. Seats are far better.
    Thats good to know. If I get new Cobalt to replace my '06 I am going to go for the 15 inchers.
    If you have a rattle in the steering column -it mostly shows up on ripply roads or gravel - see your dealer. If you hear a slight noise when you turn the wheel a little it is the same problem. The dealer will replace the steering column. Our dealer says that he has done a number of Cobalts and it took a week to get the parts in so this must be a common problem. Apparently the tech can confirm the problem by removing a fuse that has to do with the electric steering.
    Anyone knows if there are some big changes in store for the 2010 Cobalt?
  • tcaloftcalof Member Posts: 29
    The 2010 Cobalt will have NO changes. The Cobalt is at the end of its life schedule. It will be replaced during 2010 by the 2011 Cruze. The Cruze is the focus of GM's small car restructuring.
    The Cobalt has just been there since 2005 and it's going to be already replaced after 5 years of existence? A great car like that pushed aside for a new model or version?
    G.M. is really looking for more problems or what?
    GM is run by a bunch of blockheads. They change car names like they're changing underwear.
    The worst part is that the Cobalt now has a tuner community and they're killing the nameplate. Even worse is what they're changing it to-
    Cruze. The dumbest name in the business. Sounds like it was named by The Village People.
    There are a lot of names out there worse than Cruze. Actually Cruze to me is not bad. It better than being identified by a number or letter or some other crazy name.
    What car did you buy?
    I bought a Cruze.
    Sorry, but i find the name to be moronic. At least Cobalt was tough sounding.
    > bought a Cruze.
    >Sorry, but i find the name to be moronic

Hmmm. I personally think that's a good-sounding name.
    Maybe we should check on Fit, Civic, Accord, Camry, yaris, Venza, 4-runner, Prius. Those all sound lame to me if Cruze is going to be criticized.

I don't think criticizing names is a ski slope to go down here.

Can someone tell me what's the best way to store 4 winter tires till next year (the tires are off the rim). I see people store them different ways. There must be only 1 good way to store them for so long?
  • de1029de1029 Member Posts: 52
    Has anyone posted anything about this GM recall? Seems the two do not mesh perfectly and car might roll after you put the car in park and put on the emergency brake.
    He just sounds mad that they are going to stop making the Cobalt after the 2010 model run. Also the recently stopped producing the turbo's.

Cruze is an attractive name. Chevy Cruze; Chevrolet Cruze. It just sounds right. Lets go for a cruise (Cruze) tonight.

Gee, the Mercury Zephre, Benz C20, Ford Taurus/Ford 500, VW Tourag, sound good. Event Chrysler uses PT Cruiser for their retro van which isn't to bad accept for the PT.
    Store them flat off the concrete.
    Its an idiotic name, IMO.
    Check GMInsidenews.com, they had a Poll and the vast majority favored keeping the Cobalt name. More people preferred they change it to Nova then Cruze.