Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Cobalt

Comments

• vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    "one of the quietest cars in its class"

Nice.

Also good to see they are using side mounted struts on the trunk so you can get more in. Another very good report on this car!
  • texas_ford_guytexas_ford_guy Member Posts: 36
    22k for a freeking cavalier?....im not saying the cobalt is a bad car. the cavalier wasnt a bad car. but common, it looks just like the dam cavalier. i like the name "cobalt" better. if i wanted to spend 22k on a new car i could surely find something better than this econobox. and whats with chevy treating this thing like its in short supply? its not like theres overwhelming demand for this pile.
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,280
    Vanman, do you work for Chevy =)
    Those were Canadian dollar prices.

gsemike : I don't even own a Chevy but I do want to see the Cobalt succeed. GM deserves a hit with the effort they have put in. Frankly it's sad that so many of my friends won't even consider a domestic brand anymore, hopefully Cobalt can help turn the tide.
  • dontshopthewaldontshopthewal Member Posts: 49
    Well here in Shreveport, LA at Red River Chevy they have 11 Cobalt sedans. and at Chevyland they undoubtedly have more.. They are a much bigger dealership.

The Cobalt isn't in that short of a supply around here.

PS- I really like the Cobalt. I have a 2004 Cavalier LS that I am totally satisfied with, and I know the Cobalt is even better.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Would like to see a road test of say the tC, Mazda3, Golf,Civic, and Cobalt. I am afraid that Cobalt may get lost in the crowd. Maybe if it was rear wheel drive, and had a hot v6 option, it would stand out more. The i4 engine, with FWD cars are a dime a dozen. That said, the rear of the Cobalt looks pretty good, the interior is more upscale, and I think it has telescopic steering column, which is a feature us people with shorter arms can appreciate.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Check out a community member's comparison of the Cobalt to the Mazda3i and Elantra GLS: backy, "Low End Sedans" #2859, 30 Jan 2005 2:02 am
  • phobos1phobos1 Member Posts: 1
    My Sis in law has one and I liked it enough to consider it, till her head gasket went bad within a month. Car has been in the dealer shop for warranty since Dec. 22, nothing but excuses on part availability.

I don't think I will now buy something so poorly built, or is this just a fluke?
    That write up hits on two major GM weaknesses: paint and backseat comfort. For the life of me, I can't figure out why the general refuses to put a decent backseat in any car that not a Caddy (it's even pinched in them). I think of all the 3,500 pound GM cars in my family (Impala, Regal, Century) and all of them have a backseat that belongs in a Camaro.

I've seen some lower end GM products lately where the paint is not acceptable. Someone on my block has an Equinox in a redish color. It has the worst paint that I've seen on a new car in years.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Something is rotten in Denmark here...

If it's true that a Cobalt has been in the shop since December 22, if I were the owner of the car, I'd be researching the lemon law in my state. Most likely the car qualifies, having been out-of-service for more than 30 days in the first year.

At the least, the owner should have called Chevrolet and opened a file - sometimes that can expedite things (GM may not know what this dealer is doing). At least demand to speak with Executive Relations. If they do fix the car soon, you may get an extended warranty for free out of this.

Hope this helps,

--Robert

who is very familiar with this process, having purchased a lemon GTO from a dealer with a questionable service department, only to watch the whole situation spiral down (GM eventually replaced the car)...
    I'd say 3/4 + of cars on the road have poor back seats because front seat comfort is what matters to 98% of people and back seats are for the kids or are empty.
    Vanman, that is a copout. When we're talking about 3,000 lb plus sedans, it's not acceptable to put in Camaro backseats.

I'm not the tallest guy (5'7") but when I have backseat passengers in my Altima, people comment on how much room they have in the back. When I drive my Mom's Impala or Dad's Century, the backseat passengers are cramped.

Being that the Altima is about the same length (maybe smaller) why can Nissan put a real backseat in and the General can't?

Also, the always put the backseat 2 inches off of the floor so that they can brag about headroom but you can't even sit with your legs flat on the seat.

Don't be an apologist for the General. They can do wrong.
    I am not apologizing for anyone. You are comparing apples and oranges. The Cobalt is a compact car, the Altima is a midsize. My midsize Olds Intrigue has lots of back seat space also. Sit in the back seat of a Civic, it's tight also. Nature of the (compact car) beast.
    "I'd say 3/4 + of cars on the road have poor back seats"

I'm comparing the Altima to the Impala and Century. Both of those cars are at least the same saze as my Alt and have cramped back seats just like most GM cars. Even in their generally good review of the STS, C & D chided it for having a cramped backseat. That car is $62,000 and probably at least 3,7oo pounds.

Maybe all GM cars have crappy backseats, but I don't think that 3/4 of all cars have poor backseats.
    The topic is Cobalt so I am comparing it to other compact cars which very typically do have small back spaces.

If you want to talk midsize cars, I have sat in an Impala and I found the back seat to have lots of space. My parents have a LeSabre and it has a huge back space. My Intrigue also has very nice space in the back seat, our adult passengers are always comfortable.

Do you spend a lot of time in back seats? If you want big back seat you need to get a mid-size car. Compact cars just do not have big back seats. Laws of physics.
  • ericf1ericf1 Member Posts: 54
    Coupes are still very hard to find, and automatic coupes don't exist.

Sad really, I need to buy a car soon and I guess I'll have no choice but to go with an Elantra because I can't even test drive a Cobalt Coupe auto.
    " Coupes are still very hard to find, and automatic coupes don't exist.

Sad really, I need to buy a car soon and I guess I'll have no choice but to go with an Elantra because I can't even test drive a Cobalt Coupe auto. " -end quote-

Hey, why not get a Mazda3, which is really cool to drive and has telescopic steering wheel, and good gas mileage.

And there is the Honda Civic HX 36/44 MPG gas mileage.

If you want a basic car, and can find one in a Honda Accord, those are actually around $17K, not sure it includes air, and it gets around 34MPG. Heck, if the Mazda dealer has '04 Mazda6 left in stock, those are starting at $15,999. And '05 Mazda3 for $14,999
    The Mazda3 isn't in the same price range as a fully equipped automatic Cobalt or Elantra.

By the time I add AC, ABS and Side Airbags to the auto Mazda3 we are talking over $17k. Mazda makes you take 16" alloy wheels if you want ABS. I can get a Loaded Elantra GLS 5-Door for $14k.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    A fully equipped automatic Cobalt is in the 18-19K range, Im not sure I follow your example?

~alpha
    I don't know what your idea of "fully equipped" is, but I'm just talking about ABS and Side airbags, which to me should be standard anyways.

With those features the Cobalt auto is ~$15k.

The Mazda3 doesn't even come with AC, which costs $850 extra.
    Sorry, but I was not thinking of auto. trans, side air bags, and ABS, so if ya need those things, I guess a Mazda3 would cost more. You can buy it with air conditioning here in Calif. for $15k on sale. I agree, for what suites your needs, some other car may work out better for ya - maybe the Cobalt or that Elantra. Don't forget the re-sale value, if you keep a car less than 5 to 7 years or so. Some magazine should do a comparison test with all these cars in the $15 to $17 range in 2005 autos, so we have more to go on.
    I would guess resale on Cobalt will be similar to Mazda 3 if there are no major issues with it. Honda and Toyota will lead the resale world for some time to come but I see the gap tightening in the future.
    I think most of us who buy cheap cars plan to drive them into the ground.

I really hope the gov't forces manufacturers to make side-airbags standard. Hyundai is pretty much the only one who does this.

I also have the GM Family discount, so when all is said and done, the Cobalt will be pretty much the same price as the Elantra. I just won't have power-windows, which I'll get with the Elantra. For $14k I really don't care.

It comes down to overall driving experience, and I can't find an automatic Cobalt Coupe to test drive.
  • ndsax707ndsax707 Member Posts: 30
    Eric, it sounds like you really like the Cobalt. If you can't find any autos to drive, buy a manual. They're so much more fun and rewarding to drive than an automatic. People like to claim that they don't make sense if you drive in a lot of traffic, but that's just a lame excuse. You'll get better gas mileage, have more fun driving, and save yourself about $800 to boot. If you don't know how to drive a manual, then you can learn. It's not that hard.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Is this a common problem? My wife and I parted ways with GM vehicles in 2002, when we said a hearty (not heartfelt) "buh-bye!!!" to her 1995 Cavalier with only 48,000 miles on it, whose THIRD head gasket was leaking like a sieve and requiring a fourth.

I had thought GM had learned how to make head gaskets that lasted more than 10,000 miles, especially when it costs more than $500 in parts and labor to replace one.

Good luck! My wife's enjoying her 2002 Mazda Protege5 with 42,000 trouble-free miles on the odometer.
    Won't the resale values be about the same on Cobalt as it was with Cavalier? What I like about the Japanese cars is that they run and run with little more than oil and gas as far as expense. That said, Corolla's four McPherson struts, instead of two, is a little more costly down the road. But there is so little in the way of problems compared to Oldsmobiles I had in the past, it is hard consider USA cars. That said, my last US car, the Olds Acheiva, once it got past the 9 or was it 10 , trips to the dealer when new, was not too bad as a long run car. It has a resale that was not so good, even being sold before the sad news for Olds. hit the press. Anyway, things are better quality wise, if you believe the latest statistics, but I still don't know if US manufactures have completely caught up to the competition from Japan. The Corolla and Miata I have now seems to be pretty much trouble free, and solid. The interiors look almost new still, where my US cars looked worn in a matter of a couple years. Oh well, maybe Cobalt is a leader to a better GM line of cars.
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    GM has not made that old 2.2L iron engine for a number of years now. The current 2.2L is an all aluminum Ecotec which is very reliable and powerful also!
    I have a bad back so I must have an automatic.

I just noticed one of my local Chevy dealers got in a few automatic base Cobalt Coupes today. So off I go!:)
  • ndsax707ndsax707 Member Posts: 30
    I guess I can't fault you for that. That one's out of your control.

How was your test drive?
    I love standard transmissions but I live in a big city and with clogged traffic 50%+ of the time, it's just murder on a persons left leg and right arm.

;-)

If I ever have the money to buy a summer fun sports car, it will be a standard though.

I have yet to see a coupe (outside the autoshow last year). My local dealer has 3-4 sedans though.
    Vanman... we finally agree on something. I drove stick for eight years, but living in Queens I had enough of that. When my wife and I were dating and I'd drive her home to Brooklyn, sometimes I would do that 40 mile round trip and never take my foot off of the clutch peddle. By the time that I got home, I'd barely be able to walk up the stairs. Ergo, I drive an automatic now and dream of the day that I get my sporty weekend car with a stick.
    Considering it was 2am when I noticed it on the website, I haven't had a chance to go down there.

Maybe on the weekend.

Also, we're expecting snow, so I'm not going to test-drive in that. I'll wait for the roads to clear a little.

Of course none of the models shipped to dealers have ABS or side-airbags. Lame.
    ericf1 : Most people buying compacts do not opt for a lot of options, especially SABs. ABS is a must though, saved my butt twice this winter.

gsemike : I would love an old MG but I think the repair costs would kill me. I am hoping to get a used base Solstice in a few years. All I need is a stick, a CD player and the roof down for summer fun.
    Have you seen the Saturn version of the Solstice? It's pretty sweet, a little more masculine than the Solstice, IMO.
    Yeah, I don't want alot of options either, just the ones that should be standard anyways. With ABS you get traction control as well.

Other than that the Cobalt and Elantra come with everything I need. AC is the big one that's standard on both cars.

I'm trying to keep the price to $15k or under.
  • annalillyannalilly Member Posts: 1
    hey everyone, got me a cobalt two weeks ago and i'm very satisfied with it. i got the sedan LT in blue for 14,560. this is my first time buying an american vehicle as my vehicles have always been japanese so i was happy that they gave me a 1500 loyalty cash for switching from an import to GM. my husband's impressed that it can pick up as fast as the accord i had before, considering it has a smaller engine! i'm totally satisfied!
    I had the ABS on an Olds Achieva and it was weird indeed. After making a complete stop, the back end would give a little nudge upward and what felt like a hope of the back wheels. Did not have the stopping power of the Stealth I had, which was 4 wheel disk brakes and stopped on a dime. Perhaps the '92 GM ABS was still in the experimental period, but I have not owned any other car with ABS, and have had zero crashes. Well let's see, that makes it around 36 years, adding in motorcycle years as a couple, but I drove a car too, now and then. So how do they work if you spin your car and you are heading backwards and try putting in the clutch and mashing the brakes? No, I am not planning on doing any track time with ABS to find out. I am too poor for the track anyway ;-)
    gsemike : I like the Saturn Sky also but I would like to keep the price of my summer wheels down and the Solstice stripper is suppose to come in at around U$20K. If I can get a used one(2-3 yrs), I'll be happy.

annalilly : Hopefully with this competitive car, GM can lure back some market share squandered over the years to the Japanese companies.

eric : I can see why ABS is optional on a car like this. GM had standard ABS on the Cavalier before but no one else did so they dropped it so they could sell cheaper.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    m1miata:

I couldn't agree more. My wife's 2002 Protege5 may "only" have 42,000 trouble-free miles on it, but my car, a 2000 Protege ES has 88,500 miles on it right now. It also has had zero problems.

Show me a couple of Cavs or Cobalts that'll do that and I'll be surprised.

Meade
    We leased a 99 Cavalier before we got our van and for 3 years and 55K, we never brought it in for anything other than oil changes.
  • mazzmondmazzmond Member Posts: 2
    I think I'm an outlyer, but I have a 97 Cavalier Coupe with 149,000 miles on it with only oil changes, brakes, tires and just replaced the original battery back in December. The inside squeaks like crazy and the engine has grown louder over the years but it has been the most reliable car I've ever owned.
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    Gm's AUTO SHOW IN MOTION allowed me to compare the Cobalt with many other cars, including its sister the Saturn Ion.

Wrt others (including SSR, Malibu Maxx, Escalade, Mercedes) the Cobalt came off very well. The interior seemed well finished for its price class, the seats pretty comfy, ride and handling decent, and noise levels reasonable.

By comparison, the Saturn ION felt cheap.
    ...and may I add, the Ion looks like several cars welded together. Designed by committee, of the undecided ;-)
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Not really sure I am following your logic for not buying a car with ABS. So, you have never had a crash and therefore you don't need ABS? So, since you have never had an accident, you don't need airbags or for that matter disk brakes aren't necessary either. It only takes one incident where ABS will save your life and you will swear by ABS. Ever heard the saying "better safe than sorry"?

Also, your example of spinning your car and heading backwards is a little out there. Most braking situations where ABS is activated are not when a car is completely out of control (spinning), but when a driver is braking hard and ABS kicks in to gain control.
    Nope, I like disk brakes, and seatbelts. Not sure about the air bags, as those can work for ya and against you in some cases. ABS brakes may or may not be better at stopping a car. It depends on the situation. Plenty of people have had longer stops or accidents due to ABS. If I get a car with them, I will use what I have. If I lived in snow country I would avoid them, as too many people have said there cars will not stop in those conditions. Here in warm country it may be fine. Proper use of brakes and looking for a way out to steer if an accident is ahead is the way to go. Can not rely on a computer to save the day in braking. And there are the ABS lockups on some cars, which would is not good. The ABS wigs-out and locks for not reason. Not all ABS systems are created equal, and some earlier ones are complete crap. If your car brakes are starting to lock, you let up lightly, steer where you need to, and apply pressure to the brakes lightly again and don't mash them down. That is unless you are headed the wrong way, then it is brakes down and clutch in all the way. If your car has stability control, then you must have the ABS too. Not I must admit the stability control is somewhat magical and does work most often. Some are known to kick in pretty soon, and thus taking some of the fun out of driving hard on turns, but yeap, it is all safer. If you want the computers to help you drive down the road, that combo of stability systems is the way to go.
    ABS indeed does not shorten stopping in all situations BUT ABS is not only for stopping, it's for control also. With ABS, you will not get lock up and hence can steer the car out of trouble much better than with out. ABS should be standard in all cars IMO.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    ABS would be better if it had an on off switch.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    Don't know why you wound not want ABS??? You can most likely just pull a fuse.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    ABS systems prevent your brakes from locking up - if your brakes lock up your tires skid & you can not steer. ABS does not ever give a car better brakes, better control yes - because it prevents your wheels from locking up so you can steer - but it does not reduce the number of feet required to stop your car.

If you are driving in deep snow ABS can INCREASE your stopping distance. In this situation you can stop better if your wheels are locked up - the snow builds up in front of your tires and slows you down.

Today many cars have an additional braking system - what it does is - if you quickly slam on the brakes it assumes you want to stop the car as fast as possible - so even though you may only be pushing down on the brake hard enough to apply 75% of the maximum braking power - the car automatically applies the brakes at 100%.

If you combine both ABS and this new system - then you have the best combo -