Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300/300C

Comments

• jissacjissac Member Posts: 2
    Got a quick question; yes it concerns tires. Have we (300C) owners come to a consensus, more or less, on whether it's a tire problem and/or a steering problem. Also, whether to go again with Conti's or maybe try another tire such as the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDWS 245/55/18 (which was mentioned as an speed alternate, when using a chip). Just checking things again, prior to buying another set of Continentals.

Yep, I've been "rollin", since receiving my car on 14 Oct 2004. Ordered it while overseas. I've experienced the "right pull" and now I'm hearing road noise. But, hopefully it's just the tires. So far I've experienced the following problems:

Replaced internal lights module. (interior lights wouldn't come on)
    Replaced carpet (hole in driver's side floor)
    Replaced ABS brake pedal sensor
    Possible Bluetooth problems (could be my phone, but I'm still investigating)
    Radiator bracket fix (recall item)
  • ersnlaersnla Member Posts: 8
    Recently purchased a 2006 SRT8. Have <1,000 miles and the brakes are squeeking. The noise is noticeable even when the windows are up and the radio is on. Anyone else experiencing this problem? Went to a local dealer where I did not purchase the car from and was told that this is normal and Chrysler is looking into this. Called another dealer and was told the same thing. This can't be. The car is awesome and Brembo's reputation says otherwise. Any suggestions.
  • lavender1lavender1 Member Posts: 33
    I would think that DC probably has a soft set of pads on it .I would get in touch with Brembo and see what they say.Pads are easy to replace .
  • greyfox1greyfox1 Member Posts: 28
    I don't have an opinion on your quick question yet ! The dealership that I work at has sold a tremendous number of 300's and has had very few "pull to the right vehicles". Our '06 300C now has 6000 miles on it. The tires were rotated at the second oil change. The tech said the tires looked like new yet. I did have the opportunity to drive a 300C this week with a new set of Pirelli tires on it. The handling was very good, however in my opinion you do sacrifice a little bit of the luxury ride that you get with the Continentals. The dealership that I work for has now gotten in a 300C from the plant with Goodyear tires on it. Perhaps the Goodyear tires will put to rest a lot of the tire complaints.
  • mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    This 06 C that came in with the Goodyears on it, did it have the protection group? If it didn't, that may be why it had different tires on it.
  • 581955581955 Member Posts: 18
    I purchased my 2005 300C on 5/20/04. 3 months after my purchase, I drove from Stratford, CT to Luray, VA.I set my cruise control on 65mph, and I averaged 25.6 mpg on hot days with the a/c on. (3100 miles on odometer). Since that trip a little over a year ago, I put a Borla Cat Back exhaust system on the car and in early May of this year I made the same trip, same cruise setting and under similar weather conditions and my mpg dropped off to 23.3. In between that May trip and late June, I installed a Volant Cool Air Intake. Making the identical trip and conditions, mpg then fell off to 21.7. Just got back this week from same trip on the way down but kept a/c off and mpg went to 22.6. On the way back to CT I said the hell with it put a/c back on and set cruise on 75mph, lo and behold mpg went up to 24.7. My question is, can anyone explain this and at what speed/rpm does the MDS kick in? Otherwise I am very happy with my "C" It still turns heads like it did at first. I have a spoiler, euro-style grille, after market 18"crome wheels, up-graded wood dash-kit and the chrome fender, window package. Someone please help/explain. Thanx!
    What size Goodyear? What size Pirelli? I have Pirelli snow tires for winter,(235-60R-18) and I still have factory Continentals. My 300C has about 15,600 miles on it and the Continentals has approx. 12,000 of those miles. No sign of wear yet, but I've always been a Goodyear regular or Brigestone snow tires guy.
    I would think the gearing in the car is what making the difference with the MPG.I haven't done any thing extra on the car but our MPG is 27 .8 at 65 mph and at 75 mph it is 26mpg.I know some cars do get better mpg at a higher speed.I had a work van that would get 19 mpg at 60 mph but at 72 mph it would get 22 mpg.So you can guess what speed I drove.They say some times if you add a better air system it can make the mpg drop because the sensor see a cooler temp and adjust the fuel amount.The MDS dosen't come on at any certain speed.I have been at 80 mph and will feel it kick in if needed.Hope this helps with some of your questions
    Thanks for the reply, are you saying Chrysler has different rear gear ratios? I'd gladly change bottom and top end for better mpg. When I asked about the MDS, I should have said at what speed/rpm does it drop back to 4 cyl.? I am really perplexed by this.Is there a way to fool the sensor? Maybe I should just go back to the stock exhaust and air intake! I'll take 26-27+mpg any day with gas at $2.59 a gal.mid-grade all along the eastern states. Thanks again for the input.
    The Goodyear and the Pirelli were both 225-60R-18.
  • ersnlaersnla Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the excellent advice. I'm going to check with Brembo this week.
  • in2locksin2locks Member Posts: 13
    Is anyone checking there MPG the old way Miles divided by gal or are you getting your info from dashboard?
    I do mine the old way.Sometimes the comp is off .I quess because it whats you can call the senior age thing do it my self.
  • als361als361 Member Posts: 13
    Does any one know of a dashboard prism I can buy so I can see hanging Traffic lights without crouching down?
    Any thoughts? Good or bad?
    Would an aftermarket exhaust system effect the warranty?
    The 06 300C that came in w/ Goodyear tires got sold over the weekend so I don't know about the protection group thing. The protection package tire is self-sealing and I believe most of the tire manufacturers make one . My understanding is that the 300C will now be equipped w/ Goodyear. Salesman sold a SRT8 today, it had Goodyear Eagles on it. The Charger R/T w/ Hemi has Michelin 235-55R-18s on it.
    I misspoke in my message #4354. The Charger R/T w/Hemi has the same Goodyear tires as the 06 300C (Goodyear 225-60R-18). The Charger "Daytona" has the Michelin 235-55R-18s. Sorry about the confusion.
    Thanks for that, maybe DC finally smartened up and got rid of those crappy Contis.
    I just put on a set of Pirelli 6 on our 300c and the side walls are about3/4" larger and the ride is better .The wear code is 400 instead of 360 for the cont. so they should last longer.
    Definitely using old fashion way to check mpg. I don't trust what shows in car comp either, so it's a senior thing with me too.>>>By the way MikeyJohn, I was told by my dealer the after market exhaust system and the cool air intake does not affect the warranty. At least not the ones I put on.
    Anyone have any experience with this question?
    Also aftermarket exhaust system?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    For your second question, hop over to our Synthetic Motor Oil discussion and read to your heart's content! ;)
  • wantone1wantone1 Member Posts: 28
    I have been noticing a tire noise when I was braking. Looking for other that have had tired problems and how they were resolved. Took it to the dealer and was told all 4 tires were "cupping" and should be replaced. They didn't know of any tire store the sold Contenetial tires. After 30 minutes they came back with a dealer and phone number. At which I asked about the bumper-to-bumper warranty. The service manager said the didn't cover tires. My comment was the bumper - to - bumper must be over the top.
    wantone1 no car warranty covers tires unless you buy a high cost car.We had to replace the steering cradle and control arms to solve our problem.We had our car aligned 6 times before they replaced the parts.See my message number 4273 for the parts used.Hope this helps you for your car problems.
  • yositoyosito Member Posts: 55
    You need to replace your battery, that´s it!
  • mike_sp1mike_sp1 Member Posts: 43
    It is unclear to me exactly WHEN MDS kicks in--all that the manual mentions is "during light load and cruise conditions." Although my 300C is capable of good mileage, it would be VERY helpful, in light of the outrageous prices of gasoline, if an indicator light would come on whenever MDS is activated--thus, those of us that are interested, could make a few adjustments in our driving habits accordingly.

Can MDS kick in at 35-45 mph (in town)?
    Is there a minimum speed at which MDS can kick in?
    Is it possible to somehow retrofit an indicator light into the MDS system?

Mike
    Mike, there is a mod that puts an LED light that shows when MDS is actually working.

Do a Google search on 300 sites and then go to the GO TO forums and there are directions on making one. I went to my dealer yesterday to find out if my MDS was working as I had my battery disconnected and there is a chance that MDS is de-activated.

I also believe it will help in controlling my driving habits to save gas, but if I need the power it is there.

I also heard another nasty rumour on a talk show this morning about gas rationing, and to think I wanted to drive a Hemi!!!!!!
    I should have said the HOW TO forum.
  • mike_sp1mike_sp1 Member Posts: 43
    Thanks for the leads--BTW, according to the manual, IF the battery is disconnected, the MDS IS deactivated...

Fantastic on there being a mod for an LED light to show that the MDS is activated.

I have found that IF I can keep my foot out of the engine (remembering my youth and my '63 MoPar with 383 4bbl causes me to sometimes forget--i.e., until I go past the next filling station with outrageously-priced gasoline), my 300C actually gets decent mileage--at what it was rated on the sticker!!!!!
    We just came from a 810 mile trip and over all mpg was 25.7 did it the old way not by the comp.But the comp wasn't far off.Almost 95 percent was 4 lanes at about 77 miles per hour.
  • kevm14kevm14 Member Posts: 423
    Can MDS kick in at 35-45 mph (in town)?

I believe the speed thresholds are 15-82mph. Obviously there are other constraints, like throttle opening, etc.
  • msrjajmsrjaj Member Posts: 12
    Am close to purchasing a 2006 Chrysler 300 Touring Edition. Took out a Home Equity loan for the car and some home repairs, so essentially will be paying cash at the dealership. I have a few questions since this is my first new car purchase in 13 years.
    First, do I need a cashier's check, Bank check or will a personal check be ok?
    Also, the MSRP is 28,200, invoice is 26,200. Is it fair to expect the OTD price to be 200-300 above invoice?
    Also, is knowing I plan on walking out the door with a car(and this car has been in the dealer's inventory for 2 weeks now) a motivator for the dealer to meet my price?

Mark
    Mark any form of money will do.But I personally would pay in check or bank check.Not in cash.Every dealer is hungry so GO for it.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    don't forget about taxes.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• ford624ford624 Member Posts: 75
    Have you searched online and asked for quotes from dealerships near you?
    You might become suprised.
    The dealership wants to sell you a car more than you want to buy one.
    Happy hunting.
  • freddarrfreddarr Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2006 about 2 months ago. While driving it on a flat road, the gas pedal suddenly went all the way down and the car started speeding. At first I thought the floor mat was jammed, so I pulled it back, then I hit the breaks but the car was still reving up. I finally put it in neutral and turned the car off. the gas pedal was stuck all the way down and I had to pull it back up. I took it to the dealership and they could not find anything wrong with it. Has any body experienced any thing like this??
    Well maybe you were driving to slow and it wanted to go faster!!! .All kidding aside did they read the comp codes while they had it? I think this is the first time I have heard of this.Do you have the 300C ?
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    I wouldn't fool with this problem. You need to report this event to the NHTS people ASAP :shades: .
  • tctexastctexas Member Posts: 3
    I drove from Dallas to NY, my EVIC avg MPG said 17.6 MPG after 12 hours of highway driving it went up to 26.9 MPG I was very impressed. The next morning when I started the car it was down to 20.5 MPG which didn't impress me, It lost 6.4 MPG setting overnight. After 16 more hours of highway driving it was down to18.3 MPG I didn't expect it to go down. I asked chrysler about this since I had no idea what it was telling me, and they said thats how it works. They explained about resistors, heat in the tank from long driving, amount of gas in the tank etc. I had no idea as to what they were saying. I traded in a chrysler LHS and the avg MPG worked as expected example drive 200 miles add 10 gals and avg MPG indicator would read 20 MPG. Has anyone have any idea what that avg MPG in the EVIC is telling me. Using simple math number of miles divided by number of gallons was 24.5 Maybe my math is off.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    The computer in the EVIC samples speed, miles, current throttle settings and average miles per gallon, to display current MPG. if you had been doing highway driving for 100 miles and averaged 25 mpg and stopped at a stoplight, the avg MPG will drop. If you do 100 more miles of city driving at say 14 MPG, the computer is going to average the 25 and 14 to give you the average MPG of approximately 18.5 MPG. If you have just filled up and reset the computer, drive at 55 MPH and let the car coast for a while you will see the MPG go up.conversely if you are sitting at a stoplight idling the MPG will go down. I have noticed on MILES to EMPTY that if it reads 25 miles and then you drive at a constant 45 MPH the MILES to EMPTY will actually go up! The computer is averaging the last average MPG with the current MPG and calculating how far you can go at that rate of consumption.Naturally if you drive more efficiently, the MILES to EMPTY will go up. Did I confuse you or make it clearer ?
  • kevm14kevm14 Member Posts: 423
    It lost 6.4 MPG setting overnight

That's very strange and suggests that maybe the 300 calculates MPG differently than what I am used to. Does it take into account the level of fuel in the tank? It shouldn't, but maybe it is.
    I have found on our 300c that the computer for mpg is a few tenths off of what we get by doing it manually.
  • digitalgraveldigitalgravel Member Posts: 14
    Which one should i purchase? Which vehicle will last longer?
    I hear that the 2.7 engine is the most problem engine that chrysler has had? Where can i research this info?
    Someone please help
  • maxellmanmaxellman Member Posts: 43
    What is the name of the chief engineer for 300?

Snoop Dogg!!
  • 300csc300csc Member Posts: 3
    How did you get the dealer to agree your car was not holding an alignment? I have a pop in the front suspension it will not hold an alignment. My 300C has only been aligned twice and all tires are worn. The dealer told me there was not a problem with the front suspension. I did my homework and read the posts about the steering cradle and made this suggestion to them. A Chrysler warranty engineer is supposed to fly in to OK in a couple of weeks to take a look at it. The pop according to the dealer is coming from the A-pillar. I asked how could a pop in the pillar post cause the car not to hold an alignment? The question was not answered.
  • shep4shep4 Member Posts: 10
    I have run two LHSs with the 3.5 over 100,000 miles. Never touched either except for spark plugs and air cleaners--oil change at 2000 miles. They and the four speed tranny were totally trouble free. They have enough soup that when you floor board them at 70 to pass you are usually up to 90 when you get around. Buys speeding tickets here in the wild west. My 300 Touring has 24000 miles. Noooo problems. 2000 miles on oil change level is still on slightly over fill. My GoodYear Integrit tires look like they just came out of the wrappings. I don't know anything about the 2.7 and the V8 but frankly I don't have any need to know--I know perfect when I meet it.
    There was new part numbers for the new cradle.When they called DMC they said that some of the first cars made wouldn't hold a alignment.Hope they will fix it for you.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Doesn't the EVIC Trip Computer also have the "Instant" Mileage" in addition to average mileage like I get in my 2002 Chrysler T&C LX? :blush:
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    No I don't think so. My 03 does not have instant MPG. It has tire pressure monitoring instead. Some early 2002 Jeeps and Chrysler 300M's had this EVIC that displayed all EVIC functions including tire pressure sensors and instant MPG. The part number of this unit is 56042756AG
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Looks like I was lucky to get a 2002 while DaimlerChrysler still had complete trip computers in the overhead console.
    I was looking at a new 2006 GC SXT but DaimlerChrysler has removed too many nice features from their minivans that were standard equipment in 2002. :cry:
    I was also disappointed that most of the Chrysler 300's have dual zone temperature control as optional equipment. Should be standard equipment on a nice car like the Chrysler 300. :shades: