Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon and Yukon Denali Problems

Comments

• carlton1302carlton1302 Member Posts: 1
    Did you get this problem fixed and how?
  • kchawk1kchawk1 Member Posts: 10
    The original battery issue was fixed by putting in a larger battery as suggested by earlier posts. The current issue of continued electrical issues is not resolved. I think the two problems are related but nobody really wants to hear that. I will fix the problem in the end by letting some other poor sap deal with it after it is out of warrranty. Sorry I wish I could offer more help, but there just doesn't seem to be an easy solution!
  • edslatedslat Member Posts: 1
    Since I purchased my 2011 Denali a couple months ago, the Navigation System has stopped working three times. It slows down, makes sounds like constant DVD searching ---

Dealer said the drive laser rubs on the DVD, leaving grease spots that have to be cleaned off. I just cleaned the DVD for the third time. In past, cleaning DVD corrects problem for several hours/miles, then problem recurs as above ---

Another local Denali owner had the same problem. This is a defect, not a normal maintenance function ---

Is there a firmware or software fix? Or does the Navigation Unit need to be replaced?
  • cupikecupike Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Yukon XL and the Service Suspension Light keeps coming on? I have add it into the dealer 7 or 8 times with no solution. Anyone else have this problem?
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    I did on my 2003...needed to change the air shock on one of the rear SA's.

Regards,
    OW
    I did on my 2003...needed to change one of the air shock absorbers.

Regards,
    OW
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    cupike,
    Can you please email me with your VIN and current mileage, as well as more about your situation? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • plprntplprnt Member Posts: 6
    Demand that they change the front struts first to see if that clears up the problem. If not, it could be the rear auto ride suspension(if so equipped) You can check the rear yourself by placing several bags of salt or whatever in the back. Note the distance between the tire and the fender. Start your car and check the distance again. If the space didn't get larger, then there may be problem with the auto ride suspension. They have become quieter over the years so you may not necessarily hear it.
    Keep taking your vehicle in to the service department. It's a pain in the rear to have to do so, but if you don't, soon they will tell you that the warranty has expired and that you need new struts and springs. You will then have to pay for something that you shouldn't have to. Make sure you keep every document related to your vehicle especially as it pertains to this problem. They have it all on their computers but it is up to you to show them.

Don't think that a post from somebody from customer service is going to get the ball rolling for you. Gave her all my info. She never called me back. It's just my belief that that is a computer generated response.
    Good luck to you.
  • denalixl01denalixl01 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 01 denali xl, it has 237K miles, lately i have been getting a flashing SES light as soon as i hit second gear, the code is for multiple misfires, but there are no visible misfires, loss of power, or anything different. A few weeks ago my service Air ride would come on and go off from time to time, as well as my abs light, but they all still functioned perfectly. When i pull the codes im only getting a code for misfire on cylinder 1, and a low EVAP pressure. when i looked them up at autozone, it said something about a defective PCM. Im just kindof at a loss and dont want to just start throwing parts at it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    Sounds like they are giving you the run a round. It's a 2011? Have them replace the whole unit. End of story. Nothing should be leaking.
  • jmccreeryjmccreery Member Posts: 1
    I'm not quite sure how this is supposed to work. I have mine set to on and it works just when it feels like it.
    Anybody else have problems with the 5 second delay
  • gittyyupgittyyup Member Posts: 1
    So....this past weekend, I decided to give it a shot....yes, by that I mean, "Buy a American" car. I've driven nothing but hondas and toyotas my whole adult life. My family is growing once again and I wanted a bigger vehicle.

So, I went to this GM dealership and they had this beautiful 07 Yukon Denali XL. Inside and Out...it looked great with only 56k miles. I walked out of the dealership with every intent to buy this truck considering that they gave me great deal. I just wanted to look at other lending institutions to see if I could get a lower APR for a loan.

I left on a saturday evening feeling like a million bucks thinking I found a perfect vehicle.......THEN...the first problem starts:.

I auto start it.....then I get in it and the seat doesn't reset to the driver's seating position....I stuck the key back into the ignition....it still doesn't return.....I pushed buttons, put it in drive....nothing. The only thing that worked was for me to lock the vehicle and then unlock it......then it resets!!!!!! Even if I didn't use auto start, the seat was still malfunctioning.

Then the next day.....the auto tail gate fails on me. It was working the other day, but now it stops. The remote didn't work, nor did the button on the inside of the cabin. Even when I manually open and closed it over six times!!!!!!! It still didn't work.

So now....I'm pissed and furious because it's not doing the simpliest things right. I checked on the rear lift gate an hour later and it says on the read out that lift gate was open even though it was locked! WTF???? So I manually over-ride it and then close it.....and NOW....WHAM!!!!!....it works again.....ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!!!!!!!

I decided at that point I was not going to buy this truck, as to it having electrical problems. I went back that evening (sunday evening) to drop it off at the dealership parking lot and retrieve my trusty, reliable honda element back that I was about to trade in.

The salesperson the next morning called me and was wondering why the truck was back and that's when I told him about the problems I was having and that I didn't trust it anymore and I wasn't going to buy it. You know what he told me???? He said, "But....your vehicle is covered under the GM certified warranty"..............I DAMN NEAR FELL OUT OF MY CHAIR!!!!! Let me get this straight, He wanted me to pay 31k for a used vehicle that has electrical problems......but don't worry about the problems???????????????????? HELLO????????? SALESMAN????????? DO YOU HAVE A BRAIN??????...............

......I just simply couldn't believe he said this to me. When I return later to the dealership to give him the keys, he tried to talk me into still buying it and when I told him "NO", he then tried to sell me a suburban......UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!!!

I should've known the vehicle has issues because when I first looked at....IT WOULDN'T CRANK.....the BATTERY WAS DEAD!!!!!! He said, "Oh, I guess someone left the lights on"........HUMMMMMMMMM.......let me think now......"NOPE".....I think this vehicle had electrical electrical issues all the way around.

Because I've bought plenty of cars over the years from dealerships, I made sure I didn't sign any power of attorneys or loan/promises/agreements with the dealerships.....because I WOULD'VE BEEN SCREWED AND MADE A $31,000 THOUSAND DOLLARS MISTAKE.

I just returned the yukon and keys back to him and said thank you and goodbye.

What kills me about the whole experience was the fact that it's almost as if they accepted the way the vehicle was and still tried to sell it to me with it having problems.....and they even ceritified it through GM?!?!?!?!?!? WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?

You know what.....I truely loved the way it looked inside and out....loved the power......but I couldn't get pass those issues.....because I am not going to pay that much for a vehicle and wonder if anything else will not work right or break down the road in the future.

Never again will I ever look at any american vehicle (that's so sad I have to say that too) after my experience.
  • greatlakes_vehgreatlakes_veh Member Posts: 11
    Help!! Is there a TSB on 2007 Yukon fixing the "dead battery" issue? I just replaced the battery on Oct 14, 2010, after 82K miles with an ACDelco battery. This morning the battery is dead. (The vehicle is parked inside my garage.) Back in Oct, just prior to the dead batter, the remotes became inoperable and had to be re-programmed, the dome light did not come on when the doors were opened. Once before the voltmeter went wild while driving. Bulletin #07033 called for a re-flash of the Body Control Module.
    In June of 2009, I paid $321 to the dealer to "replace driver's door latch for possible radio problem. The Yukon had to be jump started; again, no lights left on; radio stayed on after door opened and key out of ignition. WHAT'S THE FIX?!?
    Help!! Is there a TSB on 2007 Yukon fixing the "dead battery" issue? I just replaced the battery on Oct 14, 2010, after 82K miles with an ACDelco battery. This morning the battery is dead. (The vehicle is parked inside my garage.) Back in Oct, just prior to the dead batter, the remotes became inoperable and had to be re-programmed, the dome light did not come on when the doors were opened. Once before the voltmeter went wild while driving. Bulletin #07033 called for a re-flash of the Body Control Module.
    In June of 2009, I paid $321 to the dealer to "replace driver's door latch for possible radio problem. The Yukon had to be jump started; again, no lights left on; radio stayed on after door opened and key out of ignition. WHAT'S THE FIX?!?
    Good luck with this issue. GM has denied that there is any problems. I have a 2008 Denali that has had a tremendous number of electrical issues including replacing the battery 2 times. Putting in a larger battery did help the dead battey issue, but we still have electrical problems, Too bad because otherwise it is the perfect vehicle for us.

As I said good luck :(
  • usmc88usmc88 Member Posts: 1
    Recently I have started hearing some type of metallic type noise coming from under the vehicle towards the front soon after the vehicle is first started. It's not coming from under the hood. When i get under the vehicle it seems to be coming from somewhere in the lower part of the motor/tranny area. It almost sounds like what an exaust pipe would sound like if it was tapping or rubbing against something metal. It is definitely a metallic type noise. It does not seem to increase with RPM's and it does not start doing it until it has been running for a minute or two. Many times the noise will go away after it has been running and you turn it off and then start it again. It is not affecting performance at all and seems more pronounced when vehicle is cold. It's really starting to get on my last nerve. Any ideas are much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  • sweetlibrasweetlibra Member Posts: 1
    I think is the radiator that is causing that problem thats why your battery its always dying!!!!!!
    Why do you suggest the radiator is causing electrical problems?!?
    probably a GM tech rep!! That is as good as any answer you will get from them!
    Thats got to be the GREATEST comeback I've heard!!! Too funny!!!
  • denalikingdenaliking Member Posts: 4
    I concur, lol
    I tried calling the toll free customer assistance number....they don't understand what you're talking about and only want to close the case. When you ask where they are located, they tell you Detroit, when in fact they're in Manila, Phillipines. Then they will stalk you with phone calls to try to close the case without doing anything!!!
  • abucciabucci Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, I just picked up a 2010 Yukon Denali and so far, I love it. I do have one issue that is driving me crazy. I cant seem to get the USB to recognize anything. When I click AUX, I see USB, Front and Rear buttons. The Rear button is highlighted and for some reason, I cannot click on USB or Front. When I plug my iphone into the AUX input near the radio, it recognizes and will play with the front button highlighted and able to be pressed. When I plug an ipod, iphone or even flash drive into the USB, I get nothing. The rear button is the only button I can press. Does anyone have any ideas? Can you reset the radio somehow. Is there a fuse related to the USB that could be out and disabling it? I am not even sure what I use the rear aux button is for.
    Thanks in advance

Anthony
  • 2008yukonxl2008yukonxl Member Posts: 2
    I am the product of a GM family. My ENTIRE family has worked or is working (thank goodness) for GM. I married into a Ford family. I am losing my mind....my beloved YUKON is nothing but torture for me. I am tired of defending my love for GM products. GM is not giving me any ammunition to fight with. My 2008 GMC Yukon XL has been in the shop so many times that I can't remember them all. My current problems.... Wheel bearing was loose... the lower ball joints need replaced... front differential is getting replaced....rear rotors need replaced...rear window defroster wiring needs sautered AGAIN (the 3rd time, including the last time when they REPLACED the entire window....to fix it). My DVD/CD player draws constant power. So much so that it has drained my battery. They replaced my DVD/CD player and it still spins even though there is no CD/DVD in it. My strikers on my driver and passenger door handles have been replaced. And last, but not least the drivers side door hinge needs constant oil or it makes a horrible grinding noise. Now, come on..... how can I keep up the my car is better than your car fight...with all of these problems?????? I'm ready to jump ship....only like I said.... I need some new ammo.... oh wait...I forgot the BEST one. My security system wasn't working.... I would push the button.... ASSUME it was locking my doors, but guess what???? It wasn't. You could beep the beeper, and still my doors were unlocked!!!
  • 2008yukonxl2008yukonxl Member Posts: 2
    After I typed this...I remembered one more "biggie". My liftgate door wouldn't lift. That was wonderful during softball playoffs last summer!! Crawling thru my entire vehicle with muddy cleats to retrieve equipment. YIPPEE!!!! The dealership fixed that after my 3rd trip.... took 3 because of course they never had a problem with it working for them!!! haha!
    2008yukonxl,

I’m sorry to hear about the concerns you’re having with your Yukon. If you could please email me your VIN, mileage, involved dealer and contact information, I’d like to look into this further for you.

Thanks,
    Laura
    GM Customer Service
    Abucci,

I have read your question about the USB situation with your 2010 Yukon Denali. On page 4-94 of your owner’s manual you will find the following information:

USB Support-The U SB connector is located in the center console, and uses the USB 2.0 standard.
    USB Supported Devices
    . USB Flash Drives
    . Portable USB Hard Drives
    . Fifth generation or later iPod
    . iPod nanos
    . iPod touch
    . iPod classic
    Not all iPods and USB Drives are compatible with the USB port. Make sure the iPod has the latest firmware from Apple® for proper operation. iPod firmware can be updated using the latest iTunes® application. See www.apple.com/itunes. For help with identifying your iPod, go to: www.apple.com/support.

If the above information is not what you are seeking, I recommend to contact your local GMC dealership for further assistance if you have not done so already.

Michelle P., GM Customer Service (assisting Christina)
    I believe that You're better off talking to the BBB. Just read through all the other posts. Seems to me that all the problems you have, and then some, come up again and again and again. Odd though that when I bring my Denali in, the dealer is so surprised. I get the same old "we've never heard of that issue". I too got a response from GMCUSTSVC. I sent them my info as requested. Good luck with that one. To me it seems that they want to procrastinate just long enough for your warranty to expire. I hope you didn't purchase the extended warrantee. I did on my 07 and they still found ways for me to pay. Forget E-Mails or phone calls. You have to go to the dealer again and again. Be articulate and loud. I don't mean yell, just be loud enough for others to hear. They'll want to take you into their office to discuss it further. Don't let them. Stay focused, non threatening loud, articulate and firm. Keep all your records and make sure they make note of everything you are having problems with. Good luck to you.
  • denalikingdenaliking Member Posts: 4
    We bailed them out and the union, not the government. I myself own a 53k GMC piece of crap that is worth scrap. The American way has failed. Banks, Wall Street and Insurance are all in bed together with the Gov't as the current and past investigations revealed in every case. Their playing us like fools. Get a quality car from Japan and invest overseas and make them buy us back for the 50 years.
    Know the feeling. I have '03 that is equal to your GMC product value! ;)

Being 26/34 on the 3 yr. dependability rating is proven out with our experience.

Truly Professional Grade....for the novice! :surprise:

Regards,
    OW
  • cantwontstopcantwontstop Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone figured this out on the 2001-2006 cars? My 2003 Denali keyless entry keeps going out.
    My ('03) key fobs failed years ago! All of those options and we've been unlocking the doors with the key! :lemon:

I refuse to give GMC a dime of my money. I'll trad in this thing very soon

Regards,
    OW
  • roughd1roughd1 Member Posts: 12
    Sorry to hear that you all are having serious problems with your Denali's. I have an 04 with 145k, bought it brand new in 04. The vehicle had a few problems while still under warranty but the dealership corrected everything & it didn't cost me a penny. The folks in the service department at the dealership where I purchased the vehicle were true proffessionals that cared about customer satisfaction. I moved from the mid west to the east coast and had to have the vehicle serviced here, the only GMC dealership in town sucks their rates are over the top high and I honestly don't think that their mechanics know how to service their own vehicles. I have had to take the thing back several times because they didnt repair the vehicle properly and when I show up at the service dept they pretend that they cant find anything wrong. Overall the vehicle itself has been solid and dependable for the last seven years. But the service dept here sucks. I have contacted the service manager and GMC customer service, needless to say both are about as helpful as wings on a bullfrog. They just don't care. And people wonder why America is behind in industry
    circlew,
    Did you try changing the battery?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • ervikingoervikingo Member Posts: 5
    This truck is frustrating. Bought new (special order) 60K miles now. This is on the last 4 months:

-Clunk noise on liftgate which dealer said was "normal" but now out of warranty wants $1600 to fix.
    -passenger retractable mirror will not lock into place (worn gears). Not in an accident
    -driving slowly, park assist + stabilitrack + check engine lights up and requires reset at dealership
    -crank position sensor fails and would not start. (Sure enough, I was 400 miles from home and 50 from the nearest dealership).
    -perfectly aligned (per the dealership) yet it chews up the right front tire (3rd tire by now)

This is my wife's car and I struggle with the thought that it will stop working with her and the kids on board.

It would be nice if GM would fix it. :lemon:
    I forgot to mention, 4 batteries by now. Battery problem started after reprogramming for "evaporator drying cycle" as part of "fix" to mold smell on a/c.

1st clean of system was free, next 3 we've been charged. Strong mold smell returns in 3/4 months typically (after software update).
    ervikingo,
    Please email this information to me, along with your complete contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Christina,

I will send you the info later today. The truck is currently at the dealer...

Hope you can be of help. MANY THANKS!
    Changed the batteries until they both failed! :):cry:

Regards,
    OW
    Christina,

I just emailed the information to you to: socialmedia@gm.com. Look forward to your feedback.

THANKS! Juan
    Chrisitina,

My key fob battery is fine. My Keyless Entry Module appears to have gone haywire when I finally changed the original battery to an Optima Red Top. Is this common on this truck, '03 Denali
    Cantwontstop,

Thank you for your question about your 2003 Denali. I realize that from what you posted that you started having issues when you changed your battery in your vehicle to the Optima Red Top; however, is there any way that you could give us a timeline of what is going on through present day?

Sincerely,
    Michelle P., GM Customer Service
    Thanks for the quick reply Michelle. I changed the battery because I was having weak start up issues and my radio kept resetting to 12:00. The optima red top fixed this issue, but about 1-2 days later my key fob begin to go out intermittenly. One hour t would work the next time it wouldn't. Fast forward another 2 days and it wouldnt work at all. I reprogrammed it and it worked for a couple of times , then went out. I reprogrammed again, and it began to work again, then stopped agaijn the next day. Now it wont work at all, or program. Any suggestions, recommendations, or diag information?
    cantwontstop,

I recommend contacting your local GM dealership to have the vehicle diagnosed. They will have a plan for addressing any issues you may have. Please keep me posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    Christina,

Have you had a chance to look at the information I emailed?

Look forward to your feedback.

Thanks!
    Tick Tock Tick Tock. Warranty out yet? Tick Tock Tick Tock. How about now? Not yet? Tick Tock Tick Tock. How about now? It Is? Sorry, nothing we can do.
    You were actually expecting a reply?? Oh how silly....
  • bookm_dannobookm_danno Member Posts: 6
    Anybody know why GM discontinued the dealer installed, 2-way advanced remote start?!? You can get it on a 2010 Yukon Denali. You can get it on a 2011 base Yukon too, but you can't get it on a 2011 Yukon Denali. I did my homework and I've been saving to buy the Denali since 2010. There's no functional difference between the 2010 and 2011 Denali, except for an OnStar tweak. It seems to me that if any model would have this option offered, it would be the upscale Denali, and NOT the base Yukon. It's available on all models of Tahoe too. Just NOT my Denali? I had already negotiated the deal and told the dealer to add the advanced 2-way remote, and he said ok. Then he calls me back later that day, and tells me he can't do it. I contacted GM Accessories and Customer Service and got the exact same story. Should've heard the salesman yelp when the deal started circling the drain and I was going to make an offer on a new 2010 Denali that was still available. I eventually, grudgingly completed the deal on the 2011, but what a disappointment. I've installed 2-way remotes in all my other vehicles and I was looking forward to not having to do the Barney-bolt-on thing.
    bookm_danno,

I apologize this option is no longer available and it has been documented. Congratulations on your purchase!

Thank you and have a great weekend!
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • bookm_dannobookm_danno Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for your reply, but I'd still like to know the reason why. It's still available for 2011 Tahoe and 2011 Yukon, but not 2011 Yukon Denali or 2011 Yukon Hybrid. There were no electrical or mechanical changes from 2010 model year to 2011, save for an OnStar tweak.

There was a safety issue with GM's heated washer system, so I can understand why that was discontinued. The advanced remote start is not discontinued, just not available for the 2011 Yukon Denali.

I've had the Denali only 2 weeks, and so far the 3rd seat won't latch in the up position, the sunroof cover won't slide open and is jammed shut and there's a couple of rattles already. I had hope GM had changed their ways and addressed such qualify issues after the bankruptcy, but it sure looks like the same 'ol GM to me. If this Denali is an example of their finest workmanship, we the taxpayers should've left GM bankrupt. The dealers and their intrepid salesmen/servicemen are still absolutely clueless about the products they sell and completely ignorant about what options any model can come with. I also had to discover on my own that my warranty would be voided if I used anything other than a dexos 1 spec'd motor oil.

Clearly, I'm not in a happy place with GM. So here's my customer satisfaction survey on my $60k Denali: product quality - mediocre, product knowledge - poor, service - poor.