Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    I think for most people a 3.8L CX or CXL will offer up much better value. "1487" is right, everyone seems to be comparing the CXS to other cars but the CXS is the top trimmed out car. Having driven many 3.8L powered cars in the past I can honestly say it's still a very competitive, smooth and efficient motor.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    The CXL tested by Consumer Reports had moderate options, but cost about $29,000, I believe. They rarely mention price these days, but pointed out that the car is pricey when you equip it similarly to other competing vehicles.

GM is clearly boosting MSRPs to allow for continued rebates- in the March 04 issue of Car and Driver, for example, the Terraza CXL is criticised for its $33,500 price tag while offering less than competitors. But the rebates, which make the vehicle much more attractive, are also cited.

~alpha
    Even a CXL with the same options is considerably less though, the 3.6L is not a cheap option.
    "Even a CXL with the same options is considerably less though, the 3.6L is not a cheap option. "

Less than what, and Im not sure Im understanding you, my apologies.

~alpha
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    A 4 cyl Altima clocks in at 3001 lbs., just 400 lbs less that my '02 Regal.

And, right you also are, any 3.8 Buick will have excellent performance AND get 20 to 30 mpg on regular, to boot.

As to what people REALLY pay for similarly equipped cars....there's no substitute for shopping around the dealers.
  • robw64robw64 Member Posts: 76
    Following the advice in the recent posts, I've looked everywhere for LaCrosse discounts in the South (we live in Florida). There are no incentives or rebates to make the LaCrosse more price-competitive here ... we only have reduced financing rates. The cars aren't even advertised in the paper with prices ("Now in Stock, the all-new LaCrosse"), and the online shopping sites list the vehicles at full MSRP. I'm somewhat confused by this because I've not seen a single LaCrosse on the roads. Not even in the theme park areas (where rental cars comprise half the traffic). They're obviously not selling well, so incentives & rebates must be coming soon, right? We are, however, starting to see the new 500's and Montego's quite often.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    Not selling well?

On a new model, the supply is small at first. The buyers for this type car probably have them home in the garage. My newer car is my wife's and she drives it to work short distances and back and some grocery/store trips. You're not going to see it on the road much other than around the 'hood.

I've seen a few LaCrosses on the road. (What is the plural of a French word 'LaCross'?)

They have a taut, tight-looking ride like the little Mercedes wannabes.

Might be a LeSabre replacement in two years when used ones off lease show up.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

The jump from a CXL to a CXS Allure is C$5000+. Through in the extra options to compare and it's still about C$2500+ more. Have not looked at US prices.
  • robchemistrobchemist Member Posts: 37
    I am not sure about Fl, but they have been offering dealer incentives in Colorado - $1500 + cut rate financing. In our case, we chose 36 month 0% interest (hey, its free money!). This is very similar to the incentives on the Camry ($1000 rebate). I would be surprised to see very many of them this year in rental fleets since that is the turf of the Regal and Century. As was suggested in another post, GM is slowly scaling up production. The dealer where we purchased our Lacrosse said they had sold about 12 so far. We had to special order our car in order to get the features we wanted, so the pipeline is not very full with cars yet.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    How long did it take to special order your car? How do you like it so far?
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    In my area you can get Altimas and Camrys at substantial savings. That is fact and I dont mean you can find one or two cars at those savings. No one in their right mind would pay near MSRP for those cars. The Accord and Mazda 6 are much less likely to be on sale and that probably explains why the 6 isnt nearly as popular as the other cars. Like I stated before you will see Altimas/Camrys in the paper for $3000+ of MSRP and most ads say (for example) "20 Available at similar savings!". They tell you right in the ads how much the dealer is knocking off the MSRP.

I havent seen a ton of Lacrosses but it will take time. At my closest dealer they typically dont have one outside so I know the supply is limited right now. When I was in Florida for four days last month I saw three.
    For the special ordder, it took 4 weeks for the delivery (CX with side airbags, antilock brakes, split rear seat, lumbar support and different wheels). So far (2 days, 10 miles!) we love the car - extremely smooth and quiet on the road, very comfortable interior, good handling around town, adequate acceleration (not a sports car by any means, but then we didn't want a sports car). There have been a couple questions with respect to sales. While I have no clue as to the actual sales, I have a hunch that they are doing quite well based on the changes in "special offers". Last month, it was $1500 + 0% financing, this month it is $500 or 0% financing (according to the dealer).
    Its important to keep in mind that GM rebates often depend on the region. For example, in the Northeast, the current rebate on the LaCrosse is $2000 cash or cash plus incentive: $1000 +0%/36, 2.9%/48, or 3.9%/60.

~alpha
    Thanks for the note and good point. Perhaps my speculation regarding sales should have been directed towards the "Western region" of the US.
  • dell46dell46 Member Posts: 18
    I recently purchased a Buick LaCrosse. It is a nice quiet good handling vehicle but it has no mechanical way to open the trunk. It only opens via the key fob or a control on the door. All electrical. If the battery goes dead how do you get the trunk open to get at your jumper cables? Do other vehicles come this way too? Does any one have any answers?
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    My Ford Five Hundred is the same way. If the rear seats lower, the answer is the same as it is for my Five Hundred. Lower the back seats, crawl into the trunk, and either pull the thingy for the escape hatch or get the cables and start the car.

The day is coming when there will be no door keys. The passenger side door key is already almost a thing of the past....
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    And that's too bad. Because most people put their jumper cables in the trunk, and if you need a jump start and you can not open your trunk with your keys, you're out of luck and your jumper cables would be useless.

It's not a smart idea at all. How much would it cost for Ford or GM to put a regular key in the trunk? 75 cents??
    Why are you out of luck? It is a very simple matter to access the trunk from the back seat. Or do the LaCrosse back seats now lower?

I haven't even mentioned the other options, from calling road service (included during warranty, or your own thereafter), calling OnStar's safety service (provided you have such), using the set you keep in the garage or a next door neighbor's or a passing good Samaritan, etc.

It always amazes me when people fixate on a tiny change and insist on viewing it negatively. There were probably some cranks who didn't like it when automatic starters came out! <But what if the battery is dead, I can just crank it up and start an old one!> :)
    >It is a very simple matter to access the trunk from the back seat.

Yeah, just what my wife wants to do in 10 degree snow, climb through the backseat into the trunk and figure out how to open the latch from inside!!! Dumb idea.

>people fixate on a tiny change

>There were probably some cranks

Now a psychological diagnosis that they're fixation on something you think trivial.

I for one support the 'cranks' that think a

trunk latch should be there for the mechanical key. You do what you want, but don't ridicule my

desire for a keyed entry. I agree with samnoe and dell46.

Actually, even with a "dead" battery, you will almost certainly be able to open the trunk. A dead battery generally refers to the ability to run the starter motor, a process that requires a huge amount of power. Thus, even a dead battery should retain enough power to allow one to open the rear trunk. Even leaving the lights on should not result in a completely depleted battery since the lights shut off automatically after a fixed amount of time and, I think, the Lacrosse has run-down protection.

With respect to crawling into the trunk, getting the fold-down rear seats is an option. I would guess that most people will get this option, so there will be a few cars where you can't do the crawl.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Well, I do not remember to see a car without an electrical starter; probably none were produced after the war ended in 1945. I was born in 1951 and lived in Soviet Union. However, until about 1975, all Soviet cars had cranks. Trucks even longer.

Just in case if the battery or starter dies.

The manufacturers stopped providing cranks not because they were useless. One reason - the starters became more reliable. However, the main reason - the newer, more powerful engines were too hard to crank. Especially when the batteries tend to die - when it is below -15F. Thick oil, etc. Even healthy male drivers could not cope.

Hardly the case with trunk lock.
    I like the no key hole on the trunk idea. Cleaner look, no trunk break-ins via a picked lock.
    >no trunk break-ins via a picked lock.

Good point for those in higher crime areas.

Don't have that problem here unless I'm parking in the city which is rare--and I usually drive the older LeSabre which is less attractive for thievery.

Of course they can just use a pry bar under the botoom edge of the trunk and ruin the trunk metal instead of just pushing out the lock cylinder!

I still want a lock cylinder. Of course I still want my right side door lock cylinder back.

This is another example of an old habit of US car makers - combine a minor bit of styling with saving a couple of bucks.

Question for Buick/GM - WWLD [What would Lexus do]?
  • robw64robw64 Member Posts: 76
    As I continue the preliminary shopping process, I decided to submit a quote request to the largest Buick dealer in Central Florida via gmbuypower.com. The quote (on a CXS in stock) came back $3,800 under the MSRP of $34,200. I also submitted a request for a Ford 500 Limited (also in stock) via forddirect.com. The comparably priced vehicle was $2,600 under MSRP, which makes the vehicle almost $3,000 less expensive. Talk about torn. I love the Buick, and appreciate the 500/Montego. This would be a difficult choice.
  • carfreak189carfreak189 Member Posts: 31
    My dad is interested in the Lacrosse CXS. It claims to have a sports suspension but I find it hard to believe a buick can drive like a sports car. Does anyone here have a CXS Lacrosse, and how does it drive?
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Why not take a test drive?
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    Big difference between a sports car and a sports sedan. No one is claiming the CXS to be a sports car, but it is likely comparable to the Accord V6 Sedan or the Altima V6.
    for <$300/mo with <$2,000 up front here in downstate NY. That would be enough sports sedan for me, if I were in the mood to get rid of my perfectly good '02 Regal. Low-end LaCrosses go for <$250/mo. Question - if/when these crazy incentives end, what'll be the best value for the money - a Buick, an Altima, ....?
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    While I was getting my oil changed on my GTO I decided to take a LaCrosse for a test drive. I figured I could take advantage of the $100 Marriott certificate.

The LaCrosse I drove was a white opal CXL stickered at $30,580. Overall, I really liked this vehicle. It represents a turn in the right direction for Buick. I was very impressed with the fit and finish and materials seemed to be of good quality. The car was very quiet while at idle and driving - I guess the quiet tuning works.
    Style wise I really like the sleek look. Many have said it is to bland, but, it looks quite sharp - especially in black with the chrome package.
    I thought the 3.8 did a decent job, but really feel that the 3.6 should be the standard power plant across the board. Maybe this will happen in future years similar to the 3.5 becoming standard on the Intrigue.
    The ride was well controlled and comfortable. A little to "floaty" for my tastes, but I am used to the much stiffer ride in my GTO.
    The biggest complaint I have is price. I really feel that it is overpriced. Yes, I know there are and always will be incentives. Still, for the money I think there are better alternative out there - the new Avalon, Accord...
    For, $26k it would be a great value, at over $30k it is really pushing the envelope.
    The Allure seems to be a little better in terms of price here in Canada. CXS starts at C$33200 here (about U$26500)and is in line with similar premium V6 sedans. I suspect the higher incentives will kick in over the summer.

Over all it's a nice car. Like you said, many have said it's bland but I liked it. I also thought the interior was very nice.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    Thanks for the nice review. I am a Marriott Gold member. How do I get the $100 Marriott certificate?
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    I went to the Buick website, and found the details of the Marriott offer.
    http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=30&article_id=- 9237

Now, that makes this car much more attractive, as it brings the price of the LaCrosse CXS inline with what it likely should have been to begin with.

I still dont think the G6 is a good value, but the 3.6L DOHC sure seems like a sweet engine.

~alpha
    The link didn't work for me. Anyone else have success?

• jb7227jb7227 Member Posts: 86
    Just picked up my new CXL today - MSRP of $28.1 with rebates and discounts - paid $ 22.5. So far, very impressed - I got the black with the chrome package - real classy combo w/the tan leather. I have always liked the 3.8 motor - it has plenty of pickup and feels like it could cruise all day at 75-80 mph. The quiet tuning really does seem to work - less engine and wind noise than my 2002 LeSabre. The car is very well assembled - doors especially shut with a solid "thud". Interior has very tight tolerances, and nice looking instruments. Big improvement over Century/Regal. Being a fan of the traditional Buick ride, I opted for the CXL -though I drove the CXS w/the 3.6 and must say it feels stronger.
    Sorry bout that. Just go to Car and Driver and check out the Daily Auto Insider.

~alpha
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Could you advise what rebates and/or incentives that you received? Please do not count the discounts from MSRP.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    From the Detroit News -

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosconsumer/0502/23/F01-97884.htm

Pretty fair. Although, I would pick the LaCrosse any day over the Montego.
    Hmmm.

I wouldn't. And didn't.

AWD???

That was one reason.
    AWD is an advantage but not that many people want it and living in snowy Ontario, I wouldn't even want it. Just sucks power and more gas.

Buick could make some improvements to the LaCrosse but given it's far better powertrain, I would choose it (and even the 3800 models) over the Merc. I do like the Mercs dash a bit better though.
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    I also did the Marriott certificate test drive over the weekend. I found the CSX to be 'interesting' but not a car I would buy new. Perhaps a 1 or 2 year-old lease return or program car for $10-15K less than MSRP. The styling doesn't do much for me - seems Taurusesque in many ways. The interior is very comfortable and quiet. Std automatic climate controls in even the base model are a nice touch. I think a lot of present LeSabre and Bonneville SE/SLE owners are going to find this car a satisfactory replacement.
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    I have finally seen a CXS model. It was light gray and it was sharp. The car looks so much better with the 17s and the chrome package. It actually looks like a $30K car with those options included.
    The Montego's giving you those high seats and bigger trunk - a direct result of building the Buick on the old Century/Regal platform.

However - That ancient 3.0 Vulcan with the CVT has GOT to go. If I owned it, I'd be cursing it's noisy inadequacies [I owned two Tauruses with that motor].

Avalon, the "Japanese Buick"? Sure, if I didn't mind paying full MSRP up front with plenty of overpriced Toyota routine service down the road.

What to do? If the arthritis ingress-egress problem is yours, go for the Merc. If $$$ don't matter, Avalon's for you. Me, I'll take a top-of-the-line CSX, but ONLY with a BIG discount.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    The 3.0 in the Montego is the Duratec V6, not the Vulcan V6. Two totally different engines. The Vulcan is an OHV pushrod engine like the 3800 GM engine. The Duratec is a DOHC 24 valve engine that is relatively modern, though lacking compared to the newer larger engines.
    And certainly lacking in torque compared to most engines in vehicles of comparable size...
    It's a Duratec 24V in the Montego. Too new to be replaced by something a little more powerful 'n' torquy. Imagine the 3.8 with DOHC, 24V and an aluminum block! Never happen, of course.

So, to finish beating this LaCrosse/Montego thing to death, we have a choice between an excellent all-new body with inadequate power vs a nifty new 3.6 or still adequate 3.8 in an evolutionary body on an obsolescent platform. Whew! I guess it's time to bring on the incentives.
    I suspect when the Fusion comes out, 500 sales will be hurting more than they are. I don't think Ford is equated with premium sedans. Montego may be ok and I wish Ford would make Mercury more like Buick (a real premium brand) rather than just dress up and rebadge Ford models. Mercury is still mostly dead here in Canada and if they want to keep it alive in the US, Ford will have to do better.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Ford does not need to sell a ton of 500's. They don't have the cpacity to make them There is currently only one plant (Chicago) dedicated to 500, Montego, and Freestyle production.

With the fragmentation in the marketplace, Ford will do well if eventually Fusion+500 sales reach 400K a year.

I have not in recent years considered Buick to be a premium brand, just another GM division fighting it out in the same market as Chevy, Pontiac, and until recently Olds, and ending up with the "mature" buyers.
    Buicks (Lucerne and LaCrosse) are definitely premium sedans now but not at the Lexus level which is ok in my opinion. I just wish they would not say they want to be an American Lexus. Cadillac competes with Lexus, not Buick.
This discussion has been closed.