Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• verdi942verdi942 Posts: 304
    that's a gussied-up Avalon, and the numbers, "330" were on the trunk. Anyway, if the LaCrosse had debuted say, 2 years ago [when the Century/Regal replacement was supposed to, until Bob Lutz demanded something better], it might have been competitive with the likes of Avalon, Lexus, yikes! used DeVilles! Now, a CXS with an MSRP <$25K, that'd be competitive! It shows how tough it is to play catch-up in the automotive world unless you've got a standout like the Chrysler 300.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Posts: 1,058
    I bet you can find a CXS for $25k or you will be able to soon.

GM sticker prices are way out of wack. They even just lowered sticker prices on some of their SUVs - Trailblazer....

I really like the LaCrosse, but think the Avalon may be better - I have not driven one yet. On paper it looks like like the Avalon wins.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    I generally agree with you but the Allure prices in Canada seem less out of wack than they are in the U.S. I'm guessing you will see bigger discounts down there.

Looking at the 2 cars, the LaCrosse clearly wins over the Avalon. Avalon is a bigger car though.
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    That's always been a close call - attractive to the same type of buyer who wants a luxury ride at a reasonable price. I've had Buicks, Oldsmobiles and three pre-owned DeVilles and enjoyed them very much. Now if you really want to save and don't need the car right now - buy that loaded LaCrosse CXL or CXS as a lease return in a year or two.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    If you drove a 2002 ES, the numbers on the back were 300 and not 330. The 3.3L debuted in the 2004 model year, and theres a big difference in the torque curve of the engines. (300 peaking at 220 pounds @ 4400 RPM and 330 peaking at 240 lbs at 3600 RPM)

~alpha
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    Looking at the 2 cars, the LaCrosse clearly wins over the Avalon. Avalon is a bigger car though

you guys (and gals) just kill me. the avalon is not my type of tea but it looks like toyota really has a winner here.

GM had some dismal sales numbers last month - and this with the G6, LaCrosse and Cobalt coming onto the market. they're all high volume cars too.

it looks like GM has its work cut out for them to just maintain the sales with these new models they had with the Grand AM, Century, Regal and Cavalier.

i'm sure it's the consumer's fault for not knowing any better though.
  • verdi942verdi942 Posts: 304
    Both cars were in like-new condition. Not to bash Lexus here [and, gee, they don't need mine or anyone else's boosting], but I was shocked! shocked! at the driveability of the car - it was on a par with a nondescript Pontiac rental with 40K miles I'd recently driven. Now, if Buick could build on the impeccable driveability of their cars [something they seem to take great pains over, no doubt to please 'geezers' like me] and deliver genuine Lexus-level quality and content [for a little less $$$?], they'd have a world-beating company. I believe it can be done, but it'll take time, $$$, and brilliant management.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    I am a firm believer that everyone is entitled to their opinion. Yours is just very striking because it represents a complete opposite to the Consumer Reports, JD Power owner satisfaction surveys, as well as every auto publication I can think of. The experts criticize the ES for its non-sporting nature, but most still rate it very highly. I drove an ES330 last year, and if I had the chance to do my daily 80 mile RT commute in that car, I'd be thrilled. Its not perfect, but it is an excellent machine. If its not a car for you, thats absolutely fine, but to call it on-par with a 40,000 mile rental Pontiac... is bizarre and unbelievable. Think about this way- if the car was as unimpressive as you state, why would it have one of the best resale values in its class? Were it so undesirable, nobody'd be buying it.

~alpha
  • I read the the CXS does 0-60 in 7.1 seconds, is this true.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Posts: 391
    My wife and I did 24 hour test drives in a new ES330, RX330, and LaCrosse. A silver LaCrosse is now in our garage. Both the ES330 and the RX330 have five spped transmissions that love to upshift, but hate to downshift. I could minimize the problem by shifting to "3" or "4" for city driving, but why should I have to?
    The April 2004 Consumer Reports said the the 2004 Regal was the most reliable family sedan in the world. Why GM Marketing did not jump all over this is beyond me. The LaCrosse is built in the same plant in Canada where the Regal was built, and I expect excellent reliability. The GM 3800 engine has had none of the sludge problems that the Lexus/Toyota engines have had. I recommend that people drive both the ES330 and the LaCrosse, and make their own decision.
    I have not driven the new Avalon, so I do not know if the transmission is any better.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    GM marketing did not jump on this, as you put it, because GM is well aware of Consumer Reports' noncommercialization policy. Trumpeting a CR rating is an excellent route to being sued....and, they knew the Regal was going away in any event...
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    perhaps GM marketing didn't jump all over the reliability score because the regal also scored near the bottom for its class in the road test.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Avalon starts at C$40,000. The Allure starts at C$25,300 and the CXS starts at C$33500.

These cars are NOT in the same class in term of price or size. Why my post amuses you so is unknown.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,089
    Avalon starts at $27 and goes to $34 list price.

I saw one today in our neighborhood. Looks like an Altima on steroids. Shows Camry heritage.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,851
    A reporter with a national magazine is hoping to talk with a consumer who took advantage of a 24-hour test drive or other extended vehicle test opportunity (including a car rental) and subsequently bought a car similar to the one s/he tested. If you have a story to share, please submit it to jfallon@edmunds.com along with your daytime contact info no later than Wednesday, March 9, 2005.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Twenty Seven to Thirty Four Dollars? I'd consider as much as Fifty! :)
  • dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    He was talking Canuck bucks. Avalon is not a cheap car that's for sure, yesh!
    Obviously that's
    twenty-seven to thirty-four thousand dollars. Can't get buy with anything here. Just like home!

Note the hyphens for all my critics, grin...

Isn't that about the price range for the LaCrosse? Lucerne?

Has anyone compared the room inside with Camry? It looked like only the hiproom was improved. That would come from the bloated, whale-like door shape.
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    If GM is desirous about moving the LaCrosse/Allure they better get serious about putting a first rate audio system in the car. The Concert Sound III system is a bad joke with its tinny paper cone Delphi speakers and terrible radio reception. Absolutely terrible! The worst audio system I have ever heard in any car. Who wants to buy a new car only to have to take it to an aftermarket mobile stereo dealer to completely re-do the sound system at considerable additional cost when an excellent system should already come standard with the car or at least be a factory option?
    If they DO redo the audio system, they will lose several functions that are controlled by the radio, including climate control, if it is like other recent GM models....
    I don't know the name of the GM system in my LeSabre, but it serves my purposes fine. It has 8 speakers and CD and tape. If I wanted MORE, I would take it to a shop and have exactly what I want installed. That's what I did years ago with cars, only then I installed things myself.

No matter what system they offer on a car, there will be some people who always want something differnet for various reasons. If they offered a JBL system that wouldn't be right for some. And that's okay, it's just that putting a top line system ain't gonnal impress me beyond what I have.
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    As for me, the poor audio system in the LaCrosse is one of two main reasons I would not buy the car. The other is the obligatory OnStar. Too bad because it's otherwise a good vehicle with an excellent engine and drivetrain.
    What do you have against OnStar? You never have to use it if you do not want to. In the coming years GM is going to make OnStar standard on all of their models. The stereo reason I can understand.
    OnStar is another reason I am not interested. It gives GM at least the theoretical capability of always tracking the vehicle all across the country (either all of them or some of them, either furtively or under court order or at the request of a spouse, etc.) , compute whether the driver is exceeding the speed limit, etc.

It is just a matter of time til at least some insurance companies start demanding that drivers of GM vehicles use OnStar should they wish to receive discounts. I, too, would not buy a vehicle with OnStar, activated or not.

There is no way of knowing what data may be being sent to whom by such a thing, or for what reason.

As for the silliest reason to have it, to unlock the vehicle when the keys are inside, Ford answered that years ago. It's called an outside number keypad. And it works great. No monthly fees, either.

Not to mention that GM continued to market OnStar with analogue only cellular service for quite some time long after the rest of the world had taken all of their new equipment digital. With a tiny little warning that it would have to be upgraded (guess at whose expense) if the cell service were to be used in the near future. I have problems with people who hide such dastardly things.

I can and do take my business elsewhere. And I haven't even mentioned those VERY annoying radio ads they run with people in distress being saved by OnStar. People who market using scare ads (life insurance companies are another good example) frequently are making very high profit margins...
    >People who market using scare ads (life insurance companies are another good example) frequently are making very high profit margins...

I have to agree. But there are a lot of products you won't be buying because of the scare tactics used. I don't like the scare factor to OnStar. Either. But I've found it useful at times. I am on a monthly basis. Probably will drop it unless they reduce cost for base level.

As for the sound system..., I've driven my nephews Ford Explorer and Chrysler midsize. My system sounds better than theirs.
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    GM had no choice but to keep OnStar analog as the cellular companies have been slow to get digital coverage everywhere. I live in Wisconsin and it's been only recently that more than half the state has adequate GSM coverage (though OnStar went with Verizon's CDMA). Can you imagine the hue and cry if someone paid for OnStar only not to be able to use it in an emergency?

Also, the analog cellular network will remain operational until at least 2008. After that it is a concern, but I don't believe GM is selling the analog OnStar system any more...
    You sound paranoid. You forgot to mention that aliens are secretly running the world. - just kidding, sorry I could not resist.

You could always just disconnect the OnStar system if you are that worried about big brother watching.
    The problem wasn't the analogue capability, that was great and remains so. The problem was the system had NO digital capability whatsoever when everybody else's DID.
  • lindseylindsey Posts: 41
    I test drove a CSX yesterday and was fairly well impressed. While the overall styling is a bit conservative for my tastes, the car will be my wife's, and she doesn't want a flashy car. The car seemed smooth, quiet, and well assembled.

We will probably be buying one this year. Several questions: (1) Are there dealers out there who are substantially discounting below sticker yet or will I need to wait six months? (I'm not talking about incentives here but pure discounting). (2) Has anyone had a good purchase experience in West Central Florida? I was visiting my wife's mother in DeLand, FL, over the weekend and decided to test drive a CXS from the local dealer, Kaiser Buick. The dimwitted salesman would not let me test drive the car unless I was willing to say I was ready to buy the car that day. He claimed they were short staffed, even though it was Saturday afternoon and the place was crawling with salesman. Needless to say, I was not ready to buy. I had no idea there were still fools trying to pull that crap. (3) If you factory order the car, do you still get the factory incentives? Thanks in advance for your help.
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    I want to advise that you can order the LaCrosse with OnStar deleted. I am not sure that it applies to all 3 models but there is a line for OnStar Delete on the order sheet. It saves you some money too but I cannot remember how much.