Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Mercury is NOT mostly dead in Canada.

Mercury is NOT EVEN marketed at ALL in Canada....
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    You are right, with the death of the Cougar (which was still sold at Ford dealers) I guess Mercury is all gone now.

Kind of dumb in my eye as Ford builds the Monterey vans here and then exports them all out.
  • gmwgmw Member Posts: 1
    The $100 certificate got me into the dealership.

Drove a base model. Quite a nice car, overall. Solid platform, very quiet, good drivetrain, decent suspension. The back seat offers too little legroom in my opinion but not awful.

Shortcomings are all Marketing's fault. MSRP is not reasonable forcing buyers to negotiate. Base content is marginal and option list is long and pricey. Drivetrain warranty is unacceptable (3yr/36K). All the good stuff is confined to the highest priced model.

The 2005 Avalon will prove a tough competitor for the CXS. As they are currently marketed the CX and CXL don't offer enough to get folks out of their Accords and Camrys.
  • shame mcshameshame mcshame Member Posts: 7
    I just had the first service done on my CX. I have had no problems at all in the first 3300 miles. I got a JD POWER Survey and will tell them the smae thing.

I think the CX/CXL models compete very well with the camry and accord. It is just the right size. I like the front fold/flip seat and comfortable armrest. The remote start has been great. I linked the onstar phone to my verizon family plan. The steering wheel controls are nice. The ABS and traction control are fine for the recent snowfalls here in the northeast. Overall a VERY comfortable quiet car. I have the dark grey with the aluminium wheels.

It looks and drives great. I'm glad I have the 3.8 engine. I plan on putting 25,000 miles a year on the car. A proven engine is a plus to me. High tech or not.

So far it has enough power, but the gas mileage is only 23 mpg. I'm hoping it gets better. I like the heavy feel of the car, it handles well though. I wanted the buick soft ride and comfort. The interior is very well done. It is tasteful and solid.

I paid $23,500 for a well equipped CX model. With features you can't get from other brands. I think this model is fantastic for the price.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    I really got a suprise down at the Buick dealership today. Someone had traded in an '03 Lexus ES330 on a SUV. I'd been looking at a loaded LaCrosse with a friend who is a salesperson. The ES330 was selling for about $27,000 and the new LaCrosse was over 30. Sorry guys - There was absolutely no comparison. I would have taken the ES330 hands down used or not. The LaCrosse is a fine $24,000 car but by the time you get over $30,000 with a top of the line model you are getting awfully close to the Lexus ES330 which starts at about $32K The build quality of the Lexus ,low depreciation, and just the overall feel of the car inside and out illustrates why Lexus is a leader in sales. GM has a LONG LONG way to go. We discussed the fact that elderly drivers liked Buicks (they couldn't sell LaCrosses until they started ordering ones with column shifts) and both of us couldn't see the reason to always appeal to the young. Somebody turns 70 every minute. Why not attract elderly customers, advertise for them, and build a car they like. Why discriminate against them and knock a product because "old" people buy them. Olds dropped out of the picture because of this philosophy. Buick may follow suit.
  • shame mcshameshame mcshame Member Posts: 7
    I agree. I just don't know why younger drivers can't appreciate column shifters, soft rides and a hood you can still see.

I'm 34 and like the tradiontal american highway car. I guess thirty somethings use the SUV now.

I wouldn't wan't anyone to sit in the middle of my front split bench seat though. But it makes a great storage bin and armrest.
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    LaCrosse! It's a little confusing, though - that used Lexus wasn't anywhere near $32K, was it? After all, it's looking like you'll be able to get a used LaCrosse CXS next year for <$20K! For the record, I drove a friend's Lexus ES330 two years ago and found it inferior to my '02 Regal in every way - notchy gas pedal, grabby brakes, mushier ride, sloppier handling, less mpg - the Lexus interior [and probable reliability and resale, of course]were the only pluses. As to Buick's greedy marketing of desirable features as high-end options, RIGHT ON! What I'd like to see would be a return to the circa '98-'02 Regal where even the base model was loaded with content. Now there was value! BTW, I'm old enough to buy a Buick but I still prefer a floorshift.
  • negativenegative Member Posts: 107
    My quest to replace my '97 Camry 4 continues. Unfortunately, it will not be stopping at the LaCrosse. I just took an extended test drive in a CXS of about 50 miles and noticed a few things not covered in all the reviews I've read so far.

First, this is not a car for short people, and it has nothing to do with seat height. The problem is that the driver's seat cushion is very deep front to back. As a result, the front edge of the seat cushion was directly beneath the fold of my knees. And the front edge of the seat cushion was stiff and was pressing into my legs without mercy.

The seatback is also quite stiff and bulbous and pressed into my lower back uncomfortably. I'm not talking about the lumbar area in the seatback, which is adjustable, but the area just above it, which is not.

The gas pedal and left footrest are too vertical. The gas pedal is also considerably farther away than the brake pedal, so when the brake pedal is the right distance from you, the gas pedal will be a stretch. The spring on the gas pedal is also heavy.

Maybe because of the spring, or because of the final drive ratio in the transmission, the car just doesn't seem to want to stay at highway speed. I was trying to maintain 75 or 80 MPH, and the car just seemed to be fighting me. I haven't felt this sort of resistance since driving some 4 cylinder cars with 3-speed automatics years ago. Also, there was a noticeable lag between punching the pedal and downshifting at highway speeds -- but not as bad as in the Lexus ES330. Overall, I think a long drive in this car could be very fatiguing.

On the positive side, the fit and finish are very good, the controls are easily deciphered and reachable and the car is fairly quiet (but certainly not silent).

The next candidate will be an Avalon.
    Well, I didn't drive or ride in the Lexus but I'm suprised about your comparison with a Regal. The Lexus looked like a jewel box compared to the LaCrosse but let's face it -a LaCrosse is a good mid size $20k car. Parts are cheap, there are plenty of dealers who can fix it, and although it depreciates to nothing after a few years if you can get it cheaply enough you won't take too much of a hit. I think it is a step up from a Malibu and it isn't much money more. The reason that the base model Regal was loaded with content was that it was essentially a loaded Century with a different engine and suspension. It is like the LeSabre Limited which is better equipped than the base Park Avenue. The base LeSabre and base Century are the stripped models.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    there has been a lot of comparison between the es330 and lacrosee. i say the new avalon trumps them both.
    I'll agree with that 100%. I've looked at the new Avalon. It is really neat.
    with a much better engine, suspension, and, with the ongoing incentives an excellent value for its time. Of course, Buick and GM don't want to sell cars that way, and with the new LaCrosse model, they're trying not to. Early LaCrosse sales figures seem to show that they'll have to change tactics.

As to the Lexus/Regal comparison [2 years ago!], I stand by my findings. A 'jewel box' to look at, for sure, but the ES330 I drove fell short of the Regal, nonetheless.

Suggestion to Buick - sell loaded LaCrosses at substantial discount until such time as people are willing to acknowledge their quality and then you can try to get Lexus money for them.
    When I want to maintain 75-80 on a highway I use cruise control.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Sounds like your driving position may have been causing your knee to lift your foot off the pedal without your realizing it. Could be you're just used to your current car.

I can't imagine the 3800 not having enough (more than enough) power to keep that car at 80. It keeps my heavier LeSabre at 80 easily!!! and it weighs 300 pounds more approx.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• negativenegative Member Posts: 107
    No doubt I'm used to my current car, having driven it for 8 years now, which is why I'm having so much trouble finding a suitable replacement. But I don't think my position was the cause of my discomfort. I kept adjusting the tilt of the cushion hoping that I COULD get my knee off it, to alleviate the pressure. I was not successful.

I've taken extended test drives in a number of cars now and haven't experienced what felt like engine braking in anything else, at least not in recent years. The LaCrosse model I tested was a CXS, which has a 3.6L engine, not the 3800. And again, maybe it was just the stiff spring under the accelerator. With a heavy spring, a car will slow down noticeably as soon as the driver's foot is removed.

As for dispencer1's suggestion about cruise control: I've had cars with it for a long time now but never could get used to the feeling of not being in control of the car. I almost never use it and doubt that will change. Besides, the highways around here (southeastern PA) are too crowded for there to be much chance to use it.
  • robchemistrobchemist Member Posts: 37
    Interesting issue with the seating comfort. We just bought a Lacrosse, and one of the things we liked is the front seat comfort. Then again, I am around 6'2" and my wife is 5'8". Also, we got the cloth seats rather than leather because we have never sat in a leather seat that we really found comfortable. The Avalon you mentioned in a previous post is certainly a nice car. We went to look at an Avalon, but our local Toyota dealer did not have any in stock (and the sales rep was your basic jerk - makes one wonder about the company). In terms of what we wanted/needed in a car, the Avalon is much more expensive than the Lacrosse. We paid, after rebates and assuming the "free money" (i.e., 0% 36 month financing) is worth only a 2% return, $21.5 (CX w/ head air-curtain, 4 wheel ABS, better wheels, power lumbar, folding rear seat). Given the list price of the Avalon, I would guess that the price on it will be closer to $25/$25.5. It does, however, give one a slightly bigger rear seat and more powerful engine.

For those thinking about a Lacrosse, we absolutely love the car. We only have around 600 miles on it, but it has been superb.
    i don't think too many people would agree with your regal/ES330 comparison. but the regal is the right car for you and it's very reliable.

i do think loaded LaCrosses will sell at substantial discounts - just don't think the market place will ever acknowledge the lacrosse as an impact car. more like a yawn.

though cars such as the malibu, G6 and lacrosse are much improved over their replacements, i feel they're still falling behind the competition. and it's not just from japan but from ford and chrysler/dodge too.

then there's the new passat coming out this fall. there's a car that hits the lacrosse's price range. i just don't see the lacrosse having many conquest sales.

the corvette and the cadillac line are doing very well and it looks like saturn has some very interesting models coming out. i liked the aura anyway.
    And you got a good deal on a basic car with a few options. The LaCrosse is a really good buy in the $21-25k price range. Over that it competes with c the Avalon that has a great reliability record, great resale value (unlike anything built by Buick), and seems to be better put together at least inside. The new Avalon (2005) is light years better than the previous model which was essentially a stretched Camry. If I had a choice between a mid-line LaCrosse or an Avalon I think I'd take the Avalon but then I'm not a sport sedan enthusiast. All my cars have to do something specific. I have a 2003 Deville, a 2004 Avalanche, and have ordered a 2005 Camry Solara convertible (an SLE). I used to drive LeSabres. All were very dependable and comfortable as road cars. I drove the LaCrosse and it felt just like a LeSabre. I looked at a LeSabre Limited in 2004 and got the base used certified Deville instead for the same price. There was a huge difference in the way it rode and my next one will be the new 2006 when it is a year old. I think that your LaCrosse was a great buy. There is nothing in that price range that can really compare with it except perhaps a Camry or Accord. I'd rather have the Buick and I'd get an extended warranty on it.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Robchemist,
    Please let us know about the miles-per-gallon that you are getting. Consumer Reports magazine stated that they did not get very good mpg from their tested CXL. I know that LeSabres with the same engine are getting 30-32 on the highway. Again, please let us know how the car is doing as the miles add up. Also, have you noticed the rapid deceleration when you let up on the accelerator at highway speeds?
  • littlejohn600littlejohn600 Member Posts: 80
    ATT:jb7227
    Please advise dealer name and location that gave $5500 off MSRP.
    I have seen a Camry back to back with an Allure (Lacrosse) and in terms of style and quality they are on par. I have not driven them back to back but last time I drove a Camry last year as a rental car, I was not terribly impressed so I can't imagine the LaCrosse at least as good.

As for the ES330 comparos, well in top form the Lacrosse is right there in terms of price but I think GM is aiming to sell a lot more of the CX and CXL models with the 3800.
    My LeSabre also got 30-32 on the highway. In fact my Deville (which gets lousy mileage in town) gets 28-30 on the highway. The 3800 engine was always great for gas mileage -I've had 4 LeSabres and all got excellent mileage. In fact I used to kid a friend who always bought Camrys. He never got more than 24-26 on the road in his smaller car. I agree with using cruise control on Pennsylvania highways as one person said. I'm in New Mexico and use cruise control all the time.
    Someone said a while back that they were unhappy with the standard equipment on the base LaCrosse. I looked at the brochure and wonder what he wants? The car comes with a power driver seat, cruise, tilt, PW, PL, keyless entry, air, etc. The base model is really well equipped. Actually it has the same base equipment (except traction control and Automatic air) as does a Cadillac Deville. I wonder though, why they don't have an RDS radio in the LaCrosse. Perhaps they do and it isn't mentioned in the brochure. I know my Cadillac ('03) doesn't have one.
    My Malibu and Avalanche do.
    RDS? What is that please?

• jasmith52jasmith52 Member Posts: 462
    Yes, the Regal was a loaded Century...

and the Lexus is a loaded Camry...

But who cares ! Drive what you like !
    RDS is Radio Data System. I had it in a 2002 LeSabre Limited and it is in most GM cars. You select a type of music (rock . classical etc) or news, traffic, etc. and the radio automatically tunes to a station playing your selection. The radio also displayed the song being played from some newer CD's. For some reason, the LaCrosse doesn't seem to have RDS nor can you get a cassette/CD radio, just the CD. RDS seems to work in cities but not in small towns. I guess it picks up a signal from a radio station.
    took a comparo drive in that '02 Lexus vs my '02 Regal LX Abboud [no supercharger]. But I'll stand by my results - unlike the Lexus, the Regal's gas pedal, brake pedal and steering were smoother and more progressive in feel. I find Buicks excel in that department. NO 'flat spots', hesitation, etc. such as I felt in the ES330. Which only leads me to agree with jasmith52 - drive what you like!
    RDS will give you what ever the radio station sends. You always get the name of the station on the screen and then the info button may yield weather, name of the song, advertising or news. It's fairly hit or miss but the station I listen to usually has the name of the song which is great though sometimes you get nothing.

I'll bet the Lacrosse had RDS, but GM literature does not always have it listed. It was no listed on our Montana info, but it has it.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    If you drove an '02, it wasnt an ES330.

Regarding equipment on the base CX, how bout ABS, side curtain airbags, steering wheel audio controls, alloy wheels and a split folding rear seat? The CX isnt necessarily missing a lot, its more the price point that poses an issue- add the items just mentioned (except for chest protection side airbags and steering wheel audio control), and the tally is $25,115. Thats without moonroof, leather, Driver Information Center...none of the fancy stuff.

Finally, Consumer Reports achieved 30MPG on the 3.8L LaCrosse they tested, and 18 overall.

~alpha
    you are competing with more and more cars. My take on the LaCrosse is that the CX is a good basic car to drive to the office. If I were considering adding a bunch of options to a LaCrosse and getting it up to the $25-30K price range I'd simply look around for a year old lease return Deville with the 6 year 100,000 mile warranty. You get a lot more equipment than you do in a LaCrosse if you get a model with some options, the warranty is a great deal better, the road mileage is the same, and the ride is a heck of a lot better because it is a Cadillac. Just my opinion.
    that's a gussied-up Avalon, and the numbers, "330" were on the trunk. Anyway, if the LaCrosse had debuted say, 2 years ago [when the Century/Regal replacement was supposed to, until Bob Lutz demanded something better], it might have been competitive with the likes of Avalon, Lexus, yikes! used DeVilles! Now, a CXS with an MSRP <$25K, that'd be competitive! It shows how tough it is to play catch-up in the automotive world unless you've got a standout like the Chrysler 300.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    I bet you can find a CXS for $25k or you will be able to soon.

GM sticker prices are way out of wack. They even just lowered sticker prices on some of their SUVs - Trailblazer....

I really like the LaCrosse, but think the Avalon may be better - I have not driven one yet. On paper it looks like like the Avalon wins.
    I generally agree with you but the Allure prices in Canada seem less out of wack than they are in the U.S. I'm guessing you will see bigger discounts down there.

Looking at the 2 cars, the LaCrosse clearly wins over the Avalon. Avalon is a bigger car though.
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    That's always been a close call - attractive to the same type of buyer who wants a luxury ride at a reasonable price. I've had Buicks, Oldsmobiles and three pre-owned DeVilles and enjoyed them very much. Now if you really want to save and don't need the car right now - buy that loaded LaCrosse CXL or CXS as a lease return in a year or two.
    If you drove a 2002 ES, the numbers on the back were 300 and not 330. The 3.3L debuted in the 2004 model year, and theres a big difference in the torque curve of the engines. (300 peaking at 220 pounds @ 4400 RPM and 330 peaking at 240 lbs at 3600 RPM)

~alpha
    Looking at the 2 cars, the LaCrosse clearly wins over the Avalon. Avalon is a bigger car though

you guys (and gals) just kill me. the avalon is not my type of tea but it looks like toyota really has a winner here.

GM had some dismal sales numbers last month - and this with the G6, LaCrosse and Cobalt coming onto the market. they're all high volume cars too.

it looks like GM has its work cut out for them to just maintain the sales with these new models they had with the Grand AM, Century, Regal and Cavalier.

i'm sure it's the consumer's fault for not knowing any better though.
    Both cars were in like-new condition. Not to bash Lexus here [and, gee, they don't need mine or anyone else's boosting], but I was shocked! shocked! at the driveability of the car - it was on a par with a nondescript Pontiac rental with 40K miles I'd recently driven. Now, if Buick could build on the impeccable driveability of their cars [something they seem to take great pains over, no doubt to please 'geezers' like me] and deliver genuine Lexus-level quality and content [for a little less $$$?], they'd have a world-beating company. I believe it can be done, but it'll take time, $$$, and brilliant management.
    I am a firm believer that everyone is entitled to their opinion. Yours is just very striking because it represents a complete opposite to the Consumer Reports, JD Power owner satisfaction surveys, as well as every auto publication I can think of. The experts criticize the ES for its non-sporting nature, but most still rate it very highly. I drove an ES330 last year, and if I had the chance to do my daily 80 mile RT commute in that car, I'd be thrilled. Its not perfect, but it is an excellent machine. If its not a car for you, thats absolutely fine, but to call it on-par with a 40,000 mile rental Pontiac... is bizarre and unbelievable. Think about this way- if the car was as unimpressive as you state, why would it have one of the best resale values in its class? Were it so undesirable, nobody'd be buying it.

~alpha
  • carfreak189carfreak189 Member Posts: 31
    I read the the CXS does 0-60 in 7.1 seconds, is this true.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    My wife and I did 24 hour test drives in a new ES330, RX330, and LaCrosse. A silver LaCrosse is now in our garage. Both the ES330 and the RX330 have five spped transmissions that love to upshift, but hate to downshift. I could minimize the problem by shifting to "3" or "4" for city driving, but why should I have to?
    The April 2004 Consumer Reports said the the 2004 Regal was the most reliable family sedan in the world. Why GM Marketing did not jump all over this is beyond me. The LaCrosse is built in the same plant in Canada where the Regal was built, and I expect excellent reliability. The GM 3800 engine has had none of the sludge problems that the Lexus/Toyota engines have had. I recommend that people drive both the ES330 and the LaCrosse, and make their own decision.
    I have not driven the new Avalon, so I do not know if the transmission is any better.
    GM marketing did not jump on this, as you put it, because GM is well aware of Consumer Reports' noncommercialization policy. Trumpeting a CR rating is an excellent route to being sued....and, they knew the Regal was going away in any event...
    perhaps GM marketing didn't jump all over the reliability score because the regal also scored near the bottom for its class in the road test.
    Avalon starts at C$40,000. The Allure starts at C$25,300 and the CXS starts at C$33500.

These cars are NOT in the same class in term of price or size. Why my post amuses you so is unknown.
    Avalon starts at $27 and goes to $34 list price.

I saw one today in our neighborhood. Looks like an Altima on steroids. Shows Camry heritage.

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    A reporter with a national magazine is hoping to talk with a consumer who took advantage of a 24-hour test drive or other extended vehicle test opportunity (including a car rental) and subsequently bought a car similar to the one s/he tested. If you have a story to share, please submit it to jfallon@edmunds.com along with your daytime contact info no later than Wednesday, March 9, 2005.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Twenty Seven to Thirty Four Dollars? I'd consider as much as Fifty! :)
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    He was talking Canuck bucks. Avalon is not a cheap car that's for sure, yesh!
    Obviously that's
    twenty-seven to thirty-four thousand dollars. Can't get buy with anything here. Just like home!

Note the hyphens for all my critics, grin...

Isn't that about the price range for the LaCrosse? Lucerne?

Has anyone compared the room inside with Camry? It looked like only the hiproom was improved. That would come from the bloated, whale-like door shape.

• prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    If GM is desirous about moving the LaCrosse/Allure they better get serious about putting a first rate audio system in the car. The Concert Sound III system is a bad joke with its tinny paper cone Delphi speakers and terrible radio reception. Absolutely terrible! The worst audio system I have ever heard in any car. Who wants to buy a new car only to have to take it to an aftermarket mobile stereo dealer to completely re-do the sound system at considerable additional cost when an excellent system should already come standard with the car or at least be a factory option?
    If they DO redo the audio system, they will lose several functions that are controlled by the radio, including climate control, if it is like other recent GM models....
This discussion has been closed.