Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    No, I meant that they drive each vehicle differently on the same route. Maybe not too clear. If I drive away from a stop sign with a large V8 the car will take off quickly with little pedal tipin and I will use the power and get down the road quickly. A 4 cylinder vehicle to accelerate at the same rate would take a large amount of tipin and gas mileage would be worse. But I would not normally really mash the accelerator on the small car unless I needed to really get it going and therefore my MPG would be better.

IN other words if I try and keep up behind the truck my mileage would be much worse than if I drove it like the car wants to be driven.
    Make sure you compare the 0-60 times between the same testers. Some testers just mash the pedal and go. Others rev up the engine and brake torque them. You need to compare with the same procedure. So compare between the same magazines. Did Motor Trend test the 3.8L LaCrosse? I would not compare MT times to Consumer Reports.

There should be very little difference between the series II and III engines. The only performance difference is back pressure from the quieter exhaust on the LaCrosse. Need to check the gearing differences. I would think the Impala and LaCrosse with the same engine would be very close.
  • batistabatista Posts: 159
    The 2005 3.8L impala was tested (from what I remember) to 60 in 8.1 with Consumer Reports and the 2005 LeSabre reached 60 in 8.8 sec. again with Consumer Reports. What drwilsc wrote about 9.0 sec is correct. So they were all tested with the same publication and yet the times vary significantly.
    The final drive ratio for the Impala is 3.05 and the LaCrosse is 2.86. The final drive ratio difference of the two is insignificant.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,465
    The tire sizes need to be compared... but the difference is 6% slower engine turn speed between the two ratios. That could lower speed slightly. Since most LAcRosse drivers aren't going to be hot-rodding quarter miles, the gas mileage is helped and that's more important.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Get a CXS. 0-60 in about 7.5, maybe even less from what I hear.
    I have not read these yet but here are some LaCrosse reviews.

http://www.theautochannel.com/vehicles/new/reviews/#2002-buick
    As a GM dealer, we are eagerly anticipating the Pontiac Solstice, and it's
    success. Do what it takes to make it right- from the start- and keep
    everybody informed. A short wait now, is better than a problem later.
    Patience is a virtue...
    Slow & steady is the only way to get this ship on course. Please ensure Mr.
    Lutz, et al. keep their eye on the ball. I think we are heading in the
    right direction. What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger...
    PS We are having tremendous success with the new Buick Allure (Lacrosse, to
    those in the US), and the Chevy Cobalt.
    Please contiinue the Good to Great movement.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Posts: 1,058
    Consumer guide got these results -

3.8 8.5sec.

3.6 7.1sec.

Those numbers seem to be about right.

link here -

http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/New/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/38328/Act/Roadtest/
    The 3.6 CXS is a fast sedan. I believe those #'s a better than the 3.5L 300.
    I can believe the 8.5 seconds for the 3800. My LeSabre probably does about that. It's fast enough it scares me when I do pump it from a near stop; it scats surprisingly fast. It's a lot like the 3300 that was in the much lighter Century that I had. That car was quick.
  • dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    The 3800 is faster off the line than most OHC engines. One of the nice things about the 3800 as that instant power you get when you pound the pedal.

I love the 3800 in my Grand Prix GT, I'll take it over a 4 cyl. of anykind. In fact I used to have a 4 cyl. Accord and this is much better for the same money.
  • drwilscdrwilsc Posts: 140
    CXS is actually SLOWER than the car it replaces, the Regal GS. It seems to me that with most other manufacturers the performance IMPROVES from one generation to the next.

I actually owned a 99 Regal GS (kept it for less than 2 years because I could not stand all of the dash board and other rattles). I could not see getting excited about moving on to a CXS, which has gobs less torque.

I would also note the Accord offers a hybrid, which according (no pun intended) to CR, does 0-60 in 6.9 sec and gets 25 mpg in mixed driving (compare to LaCrosse in previous posts).
    Accord hybrid is quite amazing, expensive though and I can see dealers charging a premium.
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    "I am somewhat confused by your postings with respect to your use of the word "quality". Namely, you appear to be using quality in a way very different that JDPowers uses that word. In the JDPower survey, they are simply using the word quality to describe the lack of defects. They are not saying anything about how solid a door feels, how luxurious the plastic dashboard looks, etc. As far as I can tell, you are including many other aspects of a car in your definition of quality. Thus, you and JDPower are looking at 2 completely different things."

that's exactly the point i was trying to make! some posters are strongly implying from JDPowers results that GM scored very well in "quality". i'm simply stating that JDPowers was measuring just one aspect of quality.
    Fortunately there are many other studies from JD Power and other organizations that confirm GM and Buick quality is very good and / or tops. It's not just one study and it's also being repeated year after year.
    yup, everything is just peaches with the product from GM and Buick.
    it's just a matter of getting the word out. if GM's market share for sedans continues to slide i'm sure it will have nothing to do with product.

based upon the vastly improved sonata and the upcoming azera it's hyundai that stands to benefit the most from the "word" getting out.
    The thinly veiled smart remarks really taint discussions and make it not even interesting to try to have a dialogue. But I'll try.

If there are more and more companies making cars, then each company in a particular type of car is going to sell fewer; i.e., the pie is being cut into more pieces. Adding Hyhonda to the mix will take away sales from all competitors although in differing degrees.

I've noticed a lot of Hyhonda products in our area in the 4-door sedan sizes that Accord, Camry, Malibu, 500 are each aiming at. They are getting sales from somewhere. We'll see how the durability works out.
    i didn't mean to imply that honda and toyota were immune from hyundai's success. quite to the contrary.

my point was that the lacrosses and other new sedans from GM are having little impact on the market unlike what the new sonata may do.

what's a hyhonda? do you know about a merger between honda and hyundai that's in the works? oh dear, i hope not.

you make a good point about the pie getting cut into more pieces.
    The Hyhonda is because the emblem for Hyundai is similar to Honda's "H" and the Amanti is better looking as a four-door sedan than an Accord and even as a LeSabre size substitute. I see many cars in our area and I believe Hyundai is cutting into Honda's Accord market. There are only so many upside down bathtub-shaped Accords you can push into a market, even based on the concept that Hondas are the perfect car and never have problems.

I see Hyundai as a serious competitor to Honda just as Toyota and Honda are sometimes called ToyHon or vice-versa.
    so there's no merger afterall. whew.

just like that hyundai has leaped frog cars such as the the malibu and impala to become serious competitors of honda and toyota? :P

i have a hunch the low pricing of the sonata will take some sales from GM and the upcoming azera looks like a lacrosse type car.

and there's the upcoming fusion from ford. and an early release of the new camry next year. this segment seems to be brutal.
  • yankeryanker Posts: 156
    My family owned Buicks in the 1950's and none since then. The last American car I owned was a 84 Ford It was terrible. Since then I've owned 2 Honda's 6 Toyotas and 4 subarus. and only now will I look at a Buick Lacrosse as a remote possibility as a replacement for an Accord or a Camry. They (Buick) were no darn good for years,
    '50's was 55 years ago. Datsuns and Hondas in those days (ok later on) were also garbage. Remember it took an American to go over to Japan and teach them quality and it took them many years.

Your '84 is also 20 years ago and that is about when the japanese were finally starting to build quality cars. America had no competition and they built what they wanted. It was also a major time for change since the gas crisis caused the American companies to scrap their large cars and reengineer a fleet of smaller, more fuel efficient vehicles.

Please take a look at the comments of actual buyers of LaCrosse's and give Buick another chance. I feel you will be quite happy with the car if it is the type of vehicle you like to drive.
    Quality and product are not the same thing. Quality is there whether you believe it or not.

Whether people like the LaCrosse or any other car is another story. I didn't ever say LaCrosse is the best car in it's class.

In the end, I am not sure why you post here as you have no interest in the LaCrosse. Constructive posts would certainly be more appreciated.
    True, i don't have an interest in the LaCrosse in terms of buying it. But I do have an interest in the car in general automotive terms.

When i read your dictates about GM being #1 (or was it #2) in "quality" based upon JD Powers latest initial quality survey i feel compelled to retort and elaborate on what is meant by quality.

This is the same survey where the Hummer's poor gas mileage was considered a problem by its owners. from James Healey (USA Today auto writer) chat on Friday "JD Power's IQS is based entirely on owner responses to a survey. Whatever an owner considers a problem is a problem. There is no independent testing or evaluation"

Sorry you don't find my posts constructive. I state my position and do my best to illustrate my reasoning for having it.
    >don't find my posts constructive.
    Maybe it's the repetitive negativity.

>don't find my posts constructive.
    That's the same as problems here, on the Accord discussions, Pilot discussions, Camry discussions, LeSabre Discussions. If someone is dissappointed with something about the car, it's a problem; big to them albeit, minor to others, albeit.

>compelled to retort and elaborate on what is meant by quality.
    JD and others seem to have a definition of quality already.
  • pat565pat565 Posts: 11
    I have owned many buicks over the years,going back to my first car ,a 1965 buick special.All of them gave me many years of mostly problem free service.I currently own a 1991 regal with almost 150k on it and a1995 regal with 135k.I also just bought a 2005 accord.The reason I went with the accord was not reservations about buick quality ,but rather I felt for the money on the base lacrosse, ABS and side airbags should have been standard and it should have come with the new engine of the CXS.It's not that the 3800 was'nt a great engine( i still own 2 regals) but on brand new model,the new design should have been used.
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 2,275
    I can understand your decision Pat. The car is priced oddly for the equipment available and the new engine should be available in something other than the top-line model. Hope you didn't end up with a 4-banger cocktail shaker Accord though...

2014 Cadillac ATS4 2.0T, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• jmw4jmw4 Posts: 67
    "In the end, I am not sure why you post here as you have no interest in the LaCrosse. Constructive posts would certainly be more appreciated. "

Well put and I fully agree. Why anyone posts to a site for a car they have no interest or desire for, and only to talk up and promote other vehicles is rather interesting. Having recently traded an Acura TL in for a CXS, and having followed the TL site, most posts were from owners who spoke of their ownership experience with the car, both positives and negatives. Some were happy with their decision, others were not, and if not, expressed their desire that their next purchase would be another make. The common thread was that their interest in the brand was from their ownership experience, or in their interest to pursue information about the car to help determine if they want to buy one. I did not recall any GM owners however, consistently posting in the TL site about lack of quality in Acura cars. And if anyone checks the problems and issues section of the TL board, one will find they have their share of issues.
    Do you think that with employee discount pricing the price is more in line with the Accord you bought? How about the CXS, which would have the engine you wanted? A base CXS, which includes ABS would be under $25,000. Need to add $395 for curtains though. The base CX is under $20k. Unbelievable deal. They must really want to close out their inventory.

GM has been talking about making there cars more value priced. I would forsee a price drop for '06 on all their models with prices closer to the employee discount, with incentives used a bit more rarely or less $$.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    is not he subject of our conversation.

Everyone is free to express his or her opinion in any of our discussions as long as the expression is done in accordance with the Membership Agreement - i.e., topical, civil, without profanities or unacceptable promotions, etc. (Full details available in the link on the left side of the page as well as the link to our Rules of the Road at the top.)

Everyone is ALSO free to - and expected to - ignore those posts they find irritating for whatever reason.

No one is free to tell anyone who may or may not post here except for the administrative staff.

If any of you have a problem with a post, your recourse is to email the host of the discussion, NOT take it upon yourself to tell someone he or she is not welcome to contribute. All discussions name the host and provide a link to the host's profile (which contains the host's email address) at the top of each page.

If any of you have any questions about any of this, feel free to email me. Otherwise, stick to the subject and let the host do the hosting.

Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.