Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma vs Ford Ranger - II

Comments

• cpousnrcpousnr Member Posts: 1,611
    I could buy a turbo for my ranger from BBK tomorrow, with hp and torque increase to match your Tacoma. But I wont buy it.

I understand and have read the Toyota warrenty. The comment was in general a supercharger/turbo will decrease the life of your engine by about on half. I found that to be true on the 1977 Kawasaki 1000 that I jointly owned with a friend who raced it in turbo configration here in colorado. The engine went around 40K.

PLEASE POST THE URL ON THE PLANS for the 2001 Ranger. http://??????
    I mean the engine lasted about 40,000 miles.

Also it was raced on the weekends, driven to work or on trips the rest of the time. It was just not a racer.

Bottom line, turbo/superchargers are hard on engine due to the increased pressures, heat, etc. They work and are very fast but I want my engine to last 150K, they are too expensive to rebuild.
    BBK supersharging systems:
    http://www.bbk1.com/supercharging_x.html

You will notice on this site the section on superchargers for 4.0 Rangers.

"Fits All 1989-97 4.0 Ranger/Explorer Models
    •The Only OEM Quality Package On the Market
    •Features Plug-In Computer Module for Perfect
    Accuracy
    •Better Than V-8 Performance From Your 4.0 V-6 •Stump Pulling Torque for Street or Off-Road Driving"

Stated performace is:
    0-60 in 8.4 seconds and 1/4 mile in 16.3 seconds at 84.3 mph for a 4.0 Explorer V6, better than a stock V8 5.0 Explorer.

If I added one to my Ranger spoog I would equal or beat you in the 1/4 mile and have about 5-10 percent better torque and best of all still be about $5000 under your vehicle in price. But I did not buy my truck to race the 1/4 mile.

They exist today and many are on the street, you just need $2.5-3K and the desire to own it.
  • wsnoblewsnoble Member Posts: 241
    Not to beat a dead horse, but if we are gonna bring up the Edmunds Ranger Long Term review again. Let's not leave out the most iportant "Con(s)" Month after month they have noted constant concerns with the drivetrain

"Disconcerting level of noise from both the suspension and drivetrain"

and

"Continued noises from the drivetrain ..."

and

"Low speed "clink" coming from the transmission/transfer case area"

The ranger is still a good truck, but the above items should be noted...

-wsn
  • spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    Cspounser writes:

"You will notice on this site the section onsuperchargers for 4.0 Rangers.
    "Fits All 1989-97 4.0 Ranger/Explorer Models
    •The Only OEM Quality Package On the Market
    •Features Plug-In Computer Module for Perfect Accuracy
    •Better Than V-8 Performance From Your 4.0 V-6
    •Stump Pulling Torque for Street or Off-RoadDriving" Stated performace is:
    0-60 in 8.4 seconds and 1/4 mile in 16.3 seconds
    at 84.3 mph for a 4.0 Explorer V6, better than astock V8 5.0 Explorer."

Oops, that WILL NOT beat my charged tacoma.
    I run 0-60 in 7 seconds, and the quarter mile
    right around 15. Looks like youll need to get a real supercharger. AND where do you possibly figure that your RAnger equippoed with this charger would still be $5000 less? get your head out of your A#@. You would still nbeed to get all the features I have that FORD DOES NOT OFFER to equal the value of my truck. The reason my truck is more expensive is becauze it has more features.

Wsnoble:

Good point about the Ranger long term test. Interesting how everyone who drives the Ranger nags about all the squeaks and rattles and trhe overall lack of quality. They even question the durability of it, and wonder how long it will last!! WOW!

Edmunds likes it because it is cheap. I noticed they didnt have anything good to say about its offroad prowess either, getting spanked by a Rodeo lol.
    That performance for the charger is weak. Must be the bad gearing in the ranger.
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    The adrenalin will not be available til 2001 and it will be a baby version of the lightning and the 2001 lightning will be bumped from 360hp to 450hp.Ford is also coming out with an SVT Expedition called the Thunder, there are some out there already, that will have the same engine and supercharger as the lightning.They will be available next spring.
    Spoog said that Cspounser (its cpousnr) said:

"0-60 in 8.4 seconds and 1/4 mile in 16.3 seconds
    at 84.3 mph for a 4.0 Explorer V6, better than
    a stock V8 5.0 Explorer."

This is true but you must have missed the word EXPLORER?

The data was from an Explorer which is not geared like the Ranger and is 700-800 lb heavier than the Ranger.

Ok, it would be close.

I would agree with you that the other TRD standard features on the Tacoma such as the brakes, shocks would account for some of the difference in price. But there are many standard equipment on the Ranger that are options on the Tacoma. I guess my figures come from my Ranger being about $18.5K and a charger running $2.5-3K installed.

In regard to the noise, one sound is the AC compressor coming on, it is rather loud. The other may be a bad yoke or out of balance driveshaft.

Guess I do not undersand your comment on the Rodeo.
  • hindsitehindsite Member Posts: 590
    Hi Guys,
    Had a mini vacation for the past two weeks or so going to the baseball playoff games to see the Yanks and the Mets. Go Yankees!!!!

Cpousnr thanks for your comments in the previous post. Actually in reflecting back on all your post . . . . you are the only one by far that has been decent and a gentleman throughout. No need to call me Sir . . . I have been a civilian for a while.

I don't know but I have never seen a supercharged Tacoma on the road.

Tsunami
    Btw NYSDOT uses Ford Rangers at the construction sites. Most of them are 2wd regular cabs with a metal cap.

Gotta go....to Yankees Stadium.
    anyone else think hindsite is a little wishy washy?

Just curious.
  • katsohiskatsohis Member Posts: 83
    have you actually raced your charged tacoma in the 1/4 mile?i had a 97 v-6 x-cab,5 spd and went 16.5 with it at 81 mph.i was always curious to see what the charger would do for it in the 1/4.oh yeah i beat the kid next to me in a probe gt(v-6).......he ran a 17.1 :o)
    Did you catch the red sox/yankee game when the fans at fenway were throwing stuff, well I wasn't one of them.The Yanks are a tough consistant team I think most red sox fans were happy with the season the sox had especially the beating they gave Roger, and who knows if they could have beaten the yankees in one of those first two games it could have been different.
  • tistevetisteve Member Posts: 142
    Just wanted to reply to the earlier questions about the locking diff. The manual does indeed say not to exceed 5 mph. As to pulling out a stuck vehicle, no, it says "use it only to free a stuck vehicle" (ie, your stuck vehicle). It doesn't specifically say you have to be in 4lo to use the locking diff, but it says to put it in 4lo first to see if that will get you out, then to try the locking diff. Then to disengage as soon as vehicle is free.
    I have to admit I was disappointed about the 5mph thing, I thought perhaps you could lock in while light off roading in 2wd, and maybe not need 4wd.

Question, if the locking diff only works in 4wd, how does it work on the Prerunner?

I think the TRD package is well worth the money, the tires and rims would be around $800 alone, then add the bilstiens, better suspension, locking diff and I've got a great off roader that doesn't need any after market add-ons.
    tisteve:
    Thanks for the info on the 5mph locker. Makes sense as you do not go real fast in 4 wheel areas normally. I was up in the Pike Nat. For. Sun. and hit some areas that I was going up/down WELL under the 10mph start of the spedo. Is was maybe 45+deg hill real rutty and then hit a narrow spot that went to a 45 or so degree side slant. But the view of Pikes Peak 20-30 miles to the south was well worth it. Didn't need a locker in those areas but like a winch, well worth it when needed. The TRD option is a fair price for what Toyota charges and I hope to see something like that on the Ranger.

I am looking at a Superwinch, in a basket to move from front to rear of off the vehicle. Anyone know anything about their 9000 model?.

hindsite:
    I have had my days. . .
    The NYSDOT may buy the Ranger because of inexpensive cost and reasonable reliability. Plus with the deals that the dealerships were giving the average guy, cities must get a great deal. You see a lot of cities with Rangers or S10 Chevy trucks here.
    Yeah, I miss going to Yankee and Mets games, having grown up in NJ, but now I have the Rockies. My son was the batboy for the visiting teams for the Rockies this year. Got me a 1999 team autographed ball for fathers day. From the Mets he got Ricky Henderson's (#24) and a couple of others.

Well spoog i would consider hindsite in one main word, mature. He does slightly lean towards Tacoma but I would expect that.
    Can of spray on grease, $2.99 fixes it right up when sprayed on the leafs.
    Do it when inspecting the underside of the vehicle after a hard day 4 wheeling.

Ah, you Tacoma boys DO look under your vehicles once and a while dont you? Its easy, just bend down, lower the body and. . .
    Oh well you get the idea. (just my way at humor)
    It not so much that it squeaks, it's what it says about quality. The edmunds review hasn't done that much off road with the truck, and it started squeaking early on. I take my ride off-road more than the edmunds test did, and my ride doesn't squeak. The thing is solid.

The Rodeo thing is in regard to the Honda Passport review they did. They said it did better than their Ranger did. Passport, Rodeo...same thing.

-wsn

PS. GO YANKEES......! They should win it tonight!
  • keith24keith24 Member Posts: 93
    I'VE BEEN IN THE MARKET FOR A "DOWNSIZED" TRUCK FOR AWHILE, & HAVE BEEN KEEPING UP WITH THIS DISCUSSION AND OTHERS AS WELL. JUST A FEW THOUGHTS:

1. WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU WANT TURBO/SUPERCHARGER ON A 4X4 TRUCK? I'VE HAD SEVERAL EXPERIENCES WITH TURBOS & S-CHARGERS, (1994 TWIN TURBO RX7, 1987 GRAND NATIONAL, 1993 FORD LIGHTNING), AND JUST CAN'T SEE THE CONNECTION. YOU WANT TO GO FAST, BUY A VEHICLE MADE TO GO FAST!!

2. ITS BEEN MY EXPERIENCE IN THE PAST, THAT IF YOU REALLY USE A TRUCK, (OR CAR, OR SUV, WHATEVER) ITS EVENTUALLY GONNA SQUEAK, RATTLE, CLINK, CLANK, CLUNK, ETC. NO MATTER WHAT YOU BUY!!

MY POINT IS THIS: EVERYONE HAS AN OPINION. SOME STRONGER THAN OTHERS. IF YOU'RE HAPPY WITH THE TRUCK YOU BOUGHT, FINE. TELL US ALL ABOUT IT. IF YOU'VE HAD BAD EXPERIENCES WITH YOUR TRUCK, TELL US ABOUT IT AS WELL. BUT DON'T GET ON HERE AND ACT LIKE JUNIOR HIGH IDIOTS! THIS "WELL, MY TRUCK IS FASTER THAN YOURS 'CAUSE......" ITS JUST IGNORANT! 99.9% OF THE PEOPLE HERE COULDN'T GIVE A FLIP ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT SOMEONE ELSE'S TRUCK!!

AND I THOUGHT THE SEC FOOTBALL MESSAGE BOARDS WERE BAD!

KEITH24
    I agree most of this board has been about bickering. I just take offense when people make posts that mix fact and fiction together.

My comments about squeaks were more related to previous statments i have made about build quality. The truck in question started squeking early one before edmunds started using it as a 4x4. From the springs and the dash. I agree not a big deal, but this refers to an ongoing argument Tacoma owners have been having about Ranger/Ford build quality. You will notice my previous post was in regrds to another post in which staments were posted about a certain vehicles pros and cons. I was just pointing out that some of the cons that were left out, seemed important to me. Squeaking important, probably not, tranny and drivetrain clunking noises, important.

As far SC go. Alot of folks up here in New England like them because. Fast ride in summer, and full 4x4 action in winter....

Just my 2 cents...
    -wsn

PS CAPS OFF
    In regard to your comment on the Rodeo vs Ranger consider this info:
    Vehicle Tested: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4WD
    Base Price of Test Vehicle: $29,355 (including destination charge)

Options on Test Vehicle: Rear Spare Tire Carrier with Cover, Limited Slip Differential, Leather Seats, In-Dash CD Player, Power Moonroof, Moonroof Visor, Trailer Hitch, Sport Side Steps, Hood Protector, Cargo Mat.

Price of Vehicle as Tested: $32,657 (including destination charge)

Would you not expect a $32K+ vehicle to perform a bit better than an $18K+ vehicle? After all it is almost double the price.

Also, to put the difference between an Explorer and a Ranger, the Ranger is about 15-20% lighter than the Explorer. I would expect that Ranger would perform better in the 1/4 mile being lighter. So while your comment is appreciated and understood where you were going, I do not think it is valid.

But here is another point. When I am 4 wheeling for a 1/4 mile, I am usually going about 5-10 MPH in 4X low and could care LESS what I turn in the 1/4 mile dragstrip.
    Appreciate your comments but consider this.

Right now on the 2000 Toyota Tundra board(116X(something)) for Edmunds there are numerous complaints about rattles in dash etc, squeaks, wheels having a runout of .12 when .00X is acceptable. By your definition of squeaks etc does that make the Tundra a low quality vehicle and Toyota a producer of low quality vehicles?

I see keiths opinion regarding dealing with life, it's a truck. My 4.0 engine is a truck engine which has it's limitations but it does have truck advantages. And it is not a sports car but Ford, in my opinion, did a good job of making it handle well.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    My neighbors 1997 4runner squeaks inside also. Does that make all 4runners bad quality? In my Ranger I have no squeaks or rattles. I do use mine also as many of you know as a 4x4 not a show truck. The Ranger/Mazda are the best value for a compact truck on the market today. Option for option the Tacoma is more. For those of us who don't want to pay for the perceived quality/reliability advantage and would rather spend the extra money elswhere the Ranger/Mazda fit great.
    In the fourwheeler article mentioned above the 0-60 times are as such
    Ranger 11.55 seconds, Tacoma 10.94 seconds. So for you racing types, the .61 second advantage must be worth the extra bucks too??
    Hey vince, and other Ranger/BrocoII owners, check this out. It looks great. http://www.homestead.com/RoughRangers/index.html
    It is off this site and EXCELLENT site for ranger information:
    http://www.therangerstation.cjb.net/
    The have so far organized 2 fantastic off road adventures one in Ohio and one in NJ.

It is free.

As stated, my squeaks stopped when I washed the underneath and sprayed a bit of lithium based grease on the springs. Just had to get the dirt out of there and add a bit of lub. Normal maintenance for a truck, ya clean it and ya lub it.
  • ziggy10ziggy10 Member Posts: 41
    Here's an update on my new V6 5sp Tacoma. It still runs great and I LOVE this truck. I did notice a scrape sound when going into driveway or drainage ditch. Then I noticed it going around corners. I figured it was a defective shock, but no. Toyota doesn't have those kinds of problems most of the time. It turned out that I had a heat shield next to the shock that was loose. Dealership tightened it up for free (of course!!!!) and had me back on the road in half an hour. Man, I tell you, the Toyota mechanics are of excellent quality down here in Northern L.A. area. Speaking of squeaks --- this one didn't even require oil :)

LOVE MY NEW TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Would you not expect a $32K+ vehicle to perform a
    bit better than an $18K+ vehicle? After all it isalmost double the price."

I gaurantee you that a stock Jeep Wrangler
    and a 18k Tacoma would outperform a 32k Rodeo or Passport. I GAURANTEE it.
    I think and $18K Tacoma is a very stripped down, no optioned, not TRD and maybe not 4 wheel drive vehicle.
    The Edmunds article stated, in part, that SUV's such as the Rodeo are rarely taken off road. Just bought by people anticipating the 100 year snow storm.

I was refering to an $18K Ranger.

What I think it is spoog, with really no malace intended, you have a difficult time accepting that many independent sources, Edmunds, Consumer Reports, some of the Four Wheeler articles and a few others I will post later all select the Ranger over the Tacoma for all round value. The ones I will post later, like Consumer Reports, rank the Ranger and Tacoma dead even in quality and overall reliability. In one the Tacoma, I think, got 2-4 points higher over all.
    But one big notation that gives the nod to Ranger is the crash test that Tacoma did poorly in compared to Ranger.

Deal with it. Your truck is 2nd in many tests but definitely 1st in one Four Wheeler test.

Yours is number one in 1 or 2, Ranger number 1 in 4 to 5 reviews.

Game, set, match.

Just curious, if you do own a TRD, why did it take an independent who has never posted here to confirm vince8 was correct regarding the 5MPH restriction on the locker. That should have been a piece of cake for someone that owns one.
  • h2okieh2okie Member Posts: 1
    I've been following the posts here for quite awhile. I bought a 99 Tacoma Extra Cab 4WD last month. It has the V6, 5speed, SR5, TRD, blah, blah blah. I paid $21,800 for it not the 25,000+ some of you seem to think. It's a great truck, I have put 2,000 miles on it and done some serious offroading with no rattles or any problems with the exception of a cut valve stem on a tire.

Now before you Ford fans get all upset, I used to drive a 97 Ranger Extra cab 4WD for work and never had any complaints about it either. Ford makes solid trucks and if I were looking to buy a full size truck, a would have gone with the F150 over the Tundra. I am always a little skeptical of buying the first year of any model. But I didn't want a full size truck and I just liked the Toyota better.

If you like your truck, whatever make, model or year it is, thats what counts, and it really doesn't matter what I, or anyone else thinks. Just enjoy it, take it out and get it DIRTY!

Peace.
    Agree with you 100 percent. Washed a few pounds of dirt off mine this past tuesday from a month of hunting the back 4X roads. If the truck fits your purpose, what ever that might be, than you will be happy.
    By the way the 25K was for a turbo charged TRD. You got a fair price for yours. Bang them hard enough and you'll get some rattles.

I have been looking at the new skid on the front of the Ranger. I like it but have concerns.

Help me out if someone can. My plan is for a Superwinch 9000 in a basket with a front reciever setup to move it, if necessary, from front to rear. It avoids running the cable under the vehicle if you have to winch backwards. With that skid it looks like it may limit that kind of an idea, not to mention the bull bar I want to install.

Anyone with the 2000, some good input would be appreciated. With that new skid it seems to me you would have to get a very bad bounce to hit anything that would cause damage. All my steering stuff is a good 5 inches above the lower arm frames.

Help me out if you can.
    "What I think it is spoog, with really no malace
    intended, you have a difficult time accepting that
    many independent sources, Edmunds, Consumer
    Reports, some of the Four Wheeler articles and a
    few others I will post later all select the Ranger
    over the Tacoma for all round value"

Did YOU bother to read the 4wheeler article that stated the Tacoma as DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR the best truck package around?

"Deal with it. Your truck is 2nd in many tests but
    definitely 1st in one Four Wheeler test.
    Yours is number one in 1 or 2, Ranger number 1 in4 to 5 reviews."

Oh Cspounser you are so wrong. Go back to the 4wheeler article. Man, Cspounser, they STATE that the TACOMA won every single performance test. EVERY SINGLE ONE!!!!!!!! Same thing for the Petersons compact pickup offroad shoot out in aug 99. the TACOMA beats the Ranger in EVERY single performance test. EVERY single ONE! dont you get it? Thats braking, ride, handling, offroad, acceleration, passing, ect. EVERY SINGLE ONE!!!!

Once again you open your trap only to stick your foot in it.

yOu should rephrase your comment to "your truck is second in many light reviews(NOT TESTS)"

Here it is again for you in case you forgot.
    By the way, Edmunds tests are grocery getting ventures in the city. 4 wheelr and Petersons are both 4x4 truck mags, not car reviewers.

Here ya go, And read what it says WORD FOR WORD< and remember it so you dont make the mistake again that the Ranger beats the Tacoma in tests. LOl. ummmm dont think so:

Although the compact Tacoma XtraCab itself is not completely new, the Toyota Racing Development (TRD) suspension and locking rear differential package is. The TRD Off-Road Package offers oversized fender flares, alloy wheels, 31-inch tires, Bilstein shocks, slightly softer spring rates, and an electromechanical, button-actuated rear locking differential, all for $1,690.

Our Surfside Green test unit came with the 3.4-liter, dual-overhead cam, 24-valve engine and five-speed manual transmission. The Tacoma came factory-equipped with the lowest axle gears of the test: 4.10:1. It was this combination of excellent gearing (First gear for the factory five-speed is 3.83:1) that made testers comment about how readily the Tacoma jumped off the line. In fact, during track testing, the Tacoma was substantially faster than the others, both loaded and unloaded (see page 30). Tract ion came courtesy of a more aggressive tread in the 31x10.50 Goodyear Wrangler three-stage GSA. We found it supplied surprisingly good cornering power on pavement, with plenty of potential for aired-down trail running.
    As well as the Tacoma performed on the track, it was on the trail where the premium import seemed most comfortable. Best-in-class ground clearance, the most aggressive tread of the bunch, and a crawl ratio of better than 40:1 made the Tacoma everyone' s choice for hill climbs and steep backside descents. Even our resident auto-tranny diehards had to admit that the lively throttle response, sure-grip clutch, and built-to-work gearing meshed together as well as any championship-caliber team. In each perf ormance-related category of our test, the Toyota won.

It's not often that our collection of testers agree on anything (in fact, never), but this year's Pickup Truck of the Year was a unanimous decision. Praises relating to the TRD suspension mentioned its ability to control rutted, seriously choppy terra in better than any other vehicle we'd driven. One tester went so far as to note that during a few moments of an effortless dry-wash run, it seemed the spirit of Ivan Stewart had taken over his body. This is a truck that can go slow or go fast, on pavement or off.

Ultimately, in addition to a strong engine, good tires, and supremely tuned suspension, the clutch defeat switch (the only one in a truck sold in the US.), lever-operated transfer case, and pushbutton locking rear differential were the icing on a toug h-truck cake. Although you have to pay a premium for a premium package, the TRD Tacoma, dollar for dollar, is the best on- and off-highway compact package (maybe of any truck) we've seen. This truck has features the others just don't offer, and they all w ork. And that's why it's our 1998 Pickup Truck of the Year. /

Yeeehaaw its nice to have the best.

Copyright © 1999 Petersen Publishing L.L.C
    4wheelr writes:

"In each performance-related category of our test, the Toyotawon. "

4 wheeler writes:

"It's not often that our collection of testers
    agree on anything (in fact, never), but this year's
    Pickup Truck of the Year was a unanimous decision.
    Praises relating to the TRD suspension mentioned
    its ability to control rutted, seriously choppy
    terra in better than any other vehicle we'd driven.
    One tester went so far as to note that during a
    few moments of an effortless dry-wash run, it
    seemed the spirit of Ivan Stewart had taken over
    his body. This is a truck that can go slow or gofast, on pavement or off. "

Yeee haww!!!! Unanimous? Theyve never had a unanimous decision until this review? Wow.
    That says alot. Lets see, a review that takes trucks hardcore offroad, takes them apart, heats and freezes the components, and basically beats the hell out of the vehicles for weeks, or a review that discusses trips to the mall parking lot and if rover can fit in the back....lol.
  • keith24keith24 Member Posts: 93
    you're exactly right about the article that you quote. its kinda hard to argue with the print in the article. i know my moneys on the toyota.

not to play devil's advocate, however, but exactly how even was the playing field in the test you keep quoting? (i've read the article) the ranger was a regular cab, 4x4, w/ the automatic. i can't remember if it had the 3.0 or the 4.0, but thats irrelevant to the point at hand. these were 2 different trucks. i would HOPE that the toyota would beat the ranger. now remember, i'm a big fan of the toyota. but when i read this particular article, i was surprised that they would actually compare these 2 trucks with their obvious differences.

JUNE 1999: PETERSEN'S 4-WHEEL & OFF-ROAD:
    ARTICLE - ON THE SMALLER SIDE

in the above mentioned article, the toyota won again. (surprise) but the trucks were more evenly matched. (x-cab, 4x4, v-6, 5-spd)

again, i'm really glad you're happy with your truck. but geez, man, get off the high horse! i've never seen so much child-like bickering in my life. my soon-to-be wife teaches 4th grade, & some of her students act better that this!!

keith24
    I notice not one Tacoma TRD owners ever comments on the 5MPH limit on the locker. Hmmmm....
    And another huge point in the article PRICE, about a 5K difference. Tire size 31" vs a P235, yeah real fair match up. No limited slip on the Ranger either.
    Do you know what I could do to a Rangers suspension with just 4K?
    Spoog it a kid with a dream. He says he owns a TRD with a supercharger. When the Tacoma vs Ranger room first started,(Edmunds has since started a new one and deleted the old one) spoog entered the room never mentioning his Tacoma TRD with a supercharger once, until the 6th posting. The Tacoma TRD is a nice truck, never said it wasn't, if I owned a truck like spoog says he owns I would have started right in lambasting the Ranger not until the 6th post!
    Anyone who offroads knows what conditions a locker is supposed to be used for. Noone would take a 22K-24K TRD into the areas a locker will get its full use. This is a sales gimmick by Toyota and it looks like it has worked on some.
    Fact is, I enjoy my Ranger XLT 4.0 5spd S/C 4x4, with its offroad/tow pkg, pwr, A/C, remote entry, leather wrapped steering wheel, CD, 4whl ABS, rear slider, 31" All terrains, nerf bars, 3.73 limited slip rear end, and so much more. It gets me where I want to go here in the rugged Cascade mountains and deserts of Oregon, and gets me out of where I shouldn't have gone too.
    Too each their own. See you in the hills. :-)
    Sorry for the long winded post.
    spoog
    I notice you did not respond to my comment on not knowing the 5MPH sticker warning is on ALL TRD's with lockers. Any owner should have known that and I hope they would have shared freely on this exchange.

vince
    tisteve responded to the locker question

keith
    Four wheeler takes new design vehicles/trucks and runs the truck of the year. I have questions on a few of the features they claimed on the Ranger such as the fact it is suppose to have had off road pkg but they cite the rear end as a 3.73. Anyway that is how they determine the truck of the year.
    The same magazine selected the Ranger XL 4X as its top 10 for 1999, not the Tacoma. It is cited as the best value by ALL of their reviewers combined. Consumer Reports almost always selects the Ranger as a "Best Buy" over the Tacoma. The articles I will post in a while give a slight edge to Tacoma but comment on its poor showing in the side impact crash test done by the US govt. That is a strength they cite for Ranger.

They are both good vehicles. Spoog, however, cannot get away from the 4X TRD and look at all versions of the vehicle.

The $25K number is a TRD with a $2500-3000 turbo.
  • parkman50parkman50 Member Posts: 63
    OK, I decided to pull out my consumers digest buyers guide and compare all the features of these two trucks and boy did I get slapped in the face.

All you Tacoma owners: be very careful not to get into a wreck. Your truck gets a measily 2 stars for safety (both passenger and driver) in frontal impact tests. They didn't perform side impact, but I suspect it would be as bad or worse.

Meanwhile the Ranger got 4 stars for passenger and driver in frontal impact tests. And it got 5 stars for side impact tests.

Watch out for rabbits while off-roading, I would hate for you to total all that money you spent. LOL

PS. The Ranger/Mazda, F150, and Frontier are listed as the best buys for trucks.
    THANK-YOU Parkman!! One thing I have noticed in Tacoma forums is that owners are way over confident in their Tacoma's.
    I guess this is why I don't see Tacoma's where I go, they may get dented to easily.
    Tacomas are good trucks but there are highlights and low lights to each truck. I will post the stuff I have been talking about later. I have 2 exchange students from the Ukraine that came in today and we are eating.

They LOVE my truck and cannot wait to go four wheeling tomorrow in the rockies.
  • mrkastnimrkastni Member Posts: 3
    I have owned Rangers, a nissan, both of which were
    usually left behind off road or pulled out of somewhere they couldn't handle by Toyotas. My new Tacoma has never been either situation. Pretty sure it will someday, but it is a definite good buy at 19k for a V6 4x4 auto. Loaded. Deal with the dealers and you can get a Tacoma for the same price as Rangers.
    A regular cab Pickup has an ADVANTAGE over and extra cab pickup. Shorter wheelbase is ALWAYS more desireable in offroad situations. Turning radius is smaller, ect.

Also, the Ranger used the 4.0 v6. Its not that adequate of an engine as 4wheeler noticed.

As for the LOCKER 5 MPH issue, you can use it higher than than, but not much. Toyota also has warning stickers on the truck that tell you this vehicles is not a car, and shouldnt be drivern like one.

And tell me, when you are cralwing on large boulders in gullies, with your windshield looking at nothing but blue sky, are you really going to be going over 5 mph? THats when you use the locker. What a sweet tool it is.

just love how everyone gets so upset over the truth.
    I agree with you 100 percent regarding use of a locker. With perhaps the exception of going thru some mud where you would not be crawling thru at 5mph. Sure you can go over that speed but we are not talking 20-30mph

you said:
    " just love how everyone gets so upset over the
    truth."

Talk to me about truth will you, ok here you go spoog.

One truth is, whether you like it or not, many independent sources choose Ranger over Tacoma for their best buy or best value. Thats just a fact spoog and does not say that the Tacoma is a bad truck or that the Ranger is the best 4 wheeler.

More truth from Four Wheeler magazine, which you love to quote:

Not on the web but 2 months ago Four Wheeler magaxine selected the 1999 Ford Ranger XL its Compact Best Buy pickup truck of the year. That magazine is still in print.

However on the web you can find here:
    http://www.fourwheeler.com/newtrucks/bestbuy/96/cmpkbst.html

Best Buy, compact pickup 1996:
    COMPACT REGULAR-CAB PICKUP
    Winner: Ford Ranger XL
    Runner-up: Chevy S-10/GMC Sonoma, Dodge Dakota.

Typically the most diverse pickup category, the Ranger offers the most comfortable interior, a four- cylinder engine option that saves $500,
    and a manual-locking hub option that saves $104. One participant noted that even though the Ranger has the smallest four- cylinder, it offers
    plenty of torque on the low end. Throw in the standard 4.10:1 gears, four-wheel antilock, the respectable 2.48:1 low-range, and the only
    thing we could want would be the limited-slip option for $252. The rest of the staff split among the S-10/Sonoma (with the base 4.3-liter V-6
    and most towing capacity of the group) and the roomier Dodge Dakota (with a 3.9-liter V-6 and the biggest payload of the bunch.

More:
    http://www.fourwheeler.com/newtrucks/bestbuy/95/95compu.html

From the 1995 best small pickup from four wheeler won that year by the Nissan XE:

" Even the Toyota's advocate conceded that its powertrain was disappointing. That left the Nissan as the winner. It has the most horsepower, and comes standard with power steering."

still more:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/newtrucks/bestbuy/93/93compu.html

1993 Best Buy compact pickup:
    COMPACT PICKUPS
    Winner: Mazda B2600i PSSST, Ranger and Mazda are almost identical

Yes, we've chosen as a Best Buy another vehicle in its last year of production. Mazda will soon introduce an all-new 1994 compact pickup.
    The top of the line will be the B4000 and may remind you of the new Ford Ranger. As far as the 1993 Mazda goes, we chose the B2600 because it has
    the lowest price, and its 12-valve I-4 engine makes the Mazda only a tick slower than the hot-rod Mitsubishi.

More:
    http://www.fourwheeler.com/newtrucks/fwoty/97/pastwinners.html

Previous four wheeler of the years from Four Wheeler Magizine, 4 Fords, 2 Toyotas (yes spoog the Tacoma was four wheeler of the year 1998 but is not on this URL)

1974: Jeep Cherokee
    1975: Chevrolet Blazer
    1976: IH Traveler
    1977: Dodge Macho
    1978: Ford Bronco
    1979: Chevrolet LUV
    1980: Ford Bronco
    1981: Toyota SR5
    1982: Dodge Power Ram 50
    1983: Chevrolet S-Blazer
    1984: Jeep Cherokee XJ
    1985: Toyota SR5
    1986: Jeep Comanche
    1987: Nissan Pathfinder
    1988: Chevrolet K-1500
    1989: Range Rover
    1990: Ford Explorer
    1991: Ford Explorer 2-dr.
    1992: Chevrolet K-1500 Blazer
    1993: Jeep Grand Cherokee
    1994: Land Rover Defender
    1995: Land Rover Discovery
    1996: Jeep Grand Cherokee V-8

Consumer Reports Best Buy Compact pickup 1999, 1997 and 1996 was the Ford Ranger.

I just documented 4 awards of recognition for the Ford Ranger, one award for the Mazda (identical to the Ranger) and four awards for Ford products, a total of nine awards for Ford products compared to three awards for the Toyota products, one the Tacoma(I am counting the 1998 Truck of the Year).

As they say in the movie "A Few Good Men"
    "Truth? You can't handle the truth."
    Only Tacomas, so far, that I have seen are towing ATVS that go where I go.

I am being honest guys, I know they can go there but Honest, I just see them parked by the ATV trailers, not on the trails with me.
    ahhh more useless anectdotes from Vinnie.

Cspousner:

" Best Buy" is entirely different from Best Truck. You know who has best buys? K-mart, Target, and Walmart. I go there because they have best buys on kitchen appliances.

You know who else has "best buys"? or "best values"? grocery stores. Tj Maxx, womens make up stores.

When I select a VEHICLE, I dont want the "money saver" or the "best buy" or the "cheapest for the money". I want the BEST VEHICLE in the class im looking in. VEHICLES are based on performance and function. The Tacoma is superior in every way performance-wise to the Ranger. Every single category.

Unless Ford decides to offer the great features Toyota does, and put some real gearing, breaks, transmission, shocks, stabiler bars, optional locker, steering, accelerationand other features into the new Ranger, it will always be # 2.

Sure, it may offer the most options for the2 dollar, but that doesnt mean it offers the MOST options, or that they are better.

You will hear me shut my mouth when Ford builds a ranger with as many quality 4x4 components as the Toyota. You will see me shut up when th Ranger actually does well against the Tacoma in performance tests.
    I mean, even 4 wheeler noticed the how great the Tacoma was offroad, with its great gearing, and hill climbing abiality. WHY do you think the entire 4wheeler staff chose the Tacoma unanimoiusly? Why do you think they chose it for their hill climber and sttep grae climber? Becauze toyota BUILDS their trucks for this.

Ive said before, the Ranger is a good truck for town and forest service roads. But it just isnt up to snuff perfomance wise compared to the Tacoma. All facts point that way.

Now Cspounser, if you would li ke to show me the links that test the Ranger in offroad conditions, and give a detailed account of what the results are, please show them to me.

You have to admit the Ranger just isnt up to Tacoma performance standards. Why wont you admit that?

I admit theRanger is a comfy rig for town and light trails.
    According to Edmunds and other sources...the Tacoma is a 3/4 ton truck, and the Ranger is only a 1/2 ton!

Wow.......

The payload capacity on the Toyota really exceeds that of theRanger. Interesting. I knew that toyota used to make a 1 ton compact. Looks like
    they took a little bit of engineering philosophy and passed it down the line. Beautiful!
    "Consumer Reports Best Buy Compact pickup 1999,1997 and 1996 was the Ford Ranger.
    I just documented 4 awards of recognition for the
    Ford Ranger, one award for the Mazda (identical to
    the Ranger) and four awards for Ford products, a
    total of nine awards for Ford products compared to
    three awards for the Toyota products, "

how neive can you be? BEST BUY does not MEAN BEST VEHICLE. Do you not comprehend that?

Also, Toyota has had 2 4x4s in the American market compared to Fords bronco, f150, bronco 2, ranger during that early time frame.

Best Buy is how many options you get for your dollar. NOT THE BEST VEHICLE.
  • hindsitehindsite Member Posts: 590
    Cpousnr,
    More often you have those good days.

Spoog,
    Whatever gets you going. There is a warning about the locker and it is supplemented in the Toyota manual. Honestly both Vince and you parallel each other in many ways. I guess there is always a loco among each car maker.

Barlitz,
    Yep I was at Fenway two games. I was there in the late 70's for Bucky Dent and watch him homer off Torrez. Whatever Boston did give a good run, but the Yanks were in the World Series and won it. I was there when the Mets beat Boston back in 86. By the way Roger pitched a great game in the closer for the series.
    Vince provides anectdotes. I provide results from tests of rubber on mud.
    I've always been a true Boston sports fan, Bruins, Red Sox, Patriots,Celtics. but when Chad Curtis shut down that reporter Gray because of his harrasment of Pete Rose on national TV.I instantly became a yankee fan for a little while anyways,and you do have to hand it Yankees they are a great team, the sox did play them the toughest out of all there playoff series.Well have to see what happens with the Patriots they usually start out good and then crumble.
    spoog:
    I really do not disagree with you. My main point was that articles can be found that favor either vehicle. I also in some ways do not diagaree with the Four Wheeler article regarding the 1998 truck of the year. I think the shock system on the Ranger could use a tune and am in the process of looking for replacements on my Ranger. A local 4X place recommended the Eldebrock shocks but they do not make a replacement for a 99 Ranger. So the next best bet, in their opinion, is the Rancho RS5000. When I asked about the Bilsteens, I was told that the Ranger is too light of a weight vehicle for those or the RS9000 Ranchos.

Now since the Ranger is heavier than the Tacoam, where does that leave the Toy equiped with Bilsteens?

Again, my comment on the Four Wheeler article you cite. They picked the top of the line Tacoma, engineered by TRD, and put it up against an almost top of the line Ranger that did not have the racing additions like the Tacoma.
    A fair test? Well some would think so. But I would like to see a test of a Ranger with RS5000 or 9000's, a Detroit locker and see what happens. Most reviews suggest a rather equal result.
    As Rod Serling might say:

"Submitted for your approval, the best 4 wheel drive vehicle. . ."

"I would suggest the BEST VEHICLE is highly subjective and colored by the personal opinions of the armchair experts. . ."

Pardon me while I return to my armchair or on second thought I will go out and do some 4 wheeling fun.
    Try this link if you have problems with the other Carpoint links and then work your way down to the vehicle you want:
    http://carpoint.msn.com/
This discussion has been closed.