Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,183
    >but then I'm not over 40

Strange to break up the stereotype...
    But did you ever think that as people do add on some years past their 20s they decide to buy something durable and practical and buy LeSabres? The concept that only people over 76 purchase LeSabres is an old myth. I look around at those driving LeSabres and ParkAves and LaCrosse automobiles and I see a much younger collection than you.

So I will overlook having my own age group put down in your post just because I _chose_ to purchase a LeSabre again. I get great dependability, gas mileage, and have great room for adults and luggage on trips. I would think some others might want to respond to the constant picking.
    >GM's only had a decade to perfect them

2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 for the platform for the current LeSabre. It's not been built for a decade: I count six years.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Posts: 489
    I don't think it is so much durability and practicality but the fact that the LeSabre is just about the perfect family car. It handles well ,especially the Limited with the touring suspension, gas mileage on the road is as good or better than many mid size cars, especially foreign ones, and it is a true six passenger car that will hold plenty of luggage. It is a great road car.
    I bought my first new LeSabre in 1990. I turned in a two month old Mitsubishi Galant because the seat didn't go back far enough to really be comfortable on trips and it rode stiffly. Since then I've had a '94, '97. 2000, and 2002 Limited. All these cars except for the last one went well over 100,000 miles without any major problems. I now buy year old Devilles for the price of a new LeSabre and get all the attributes including highway gas mileage but the Cadillac is frankly a more luxurious car with a faster engine. The certified warranty is great too. I'm buying a new LaCrosse this winter to replace a 2001 Malibu. I'd get a Lucerne but I already have an '03 Deville. The LaCrosse shares many of the LeSabre attributes and is practically the same size. It is quieter than the present LeSabre, fancier inside, and has the same engine. I'm looking forward to it.
    I'm considering a sunroof on a new LaCrosse CXL. Has anyone sat in or bought one? I'm trying to see if there is much less headroom with the sunroof. I'm 5'10" and don''t have any problem with the LaCrosse without a sunroof but can't find one to sit in with a sunroof at the local dealer.
  • robw64robw64 Posts: 76
    I rented a LaCrosse while travelling in January of this year and it was equipped with a factory sunroof. I'm a tall driver (6'5") and was able to find a comfortable position without my hair brushing the headliner. I wouldn't anticipate a problem with headroom if you're less lanky than some of us!
    Thanks very much. This makes me feel better!
  • Yeah, I was wrong. They've been building La Sabres since 59. So they've had more time. Edmunds: "only subtle styling changes were made" in 2000. So when was the major overhaul? Someone on this board obviously sells Buicks, maybe they know.

The only time I can see someone younger that 30 driving a Le Sabre, is if it belonged to Hertz and they're dying to return it.

If Buicks appealed to Gen-Y and Millenials, then why don't you see a bunch of Century's with "Fear This" decays or diaper-changing tables as spoilers? You don't because Buick is as appealing to young people as Ted Koppel.

Maybe there are those mid-life crisis buyers who always wanted to buy American and are now experimenting with the Lacrosse. Buick has a stigma of catering to the geriatric set, and changing that stereotype will take time. They may get it done right before the division is shutdown (ala Oldsmobile).
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    Not every car has to appeal to Mr. and Mrs. Yuppie and their brethren and sistren.

You don't see the younguns driving Lexus 430's either.

So what?

You no like LeSabres or LaCrosses, don't buy them....

That's simple enough.
    I won't feed the troll. Find out for yourself the changes in 2000. Serious response would only meet with more sarcasm.
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    The current Lesabre has been out since the 2000 model year. Not a decade, and not since 1959. I would think you would understand that the name may have been the same but the current Lesabre has nothing to do with models built in the 50s or 60s.

Buick's quality is high and has been for some time. We all know the some cars on the list like the Century aren't made anymore, but that's because the list is based on cars sold THREE YEARS AGO. Besides, the Lacrosse is built on the same platform in the same factory as the Regal/Century so logic would dictate that it would be high quality.
    Our local dealer sold a lot of Centurys this year and LaCrosses are doing well too. I had a 1997as well as a 2000 LeSabre and there was a light year of difference between the 1997/99 and the 2000. They drove differently, the interior was totally different, and the body was totally different. The frame may have been the same - I don't know, but Buick called it all new at the time.
    The perception that old people buy Buicks is totally true. The statistics in the dealer books bear this out. The median age buyer of a Century was 70 . Buick targets the LaCrosse for a buyer 55 which will probably be the case. Regal buyers were 64. I assume that LeSabre buyers without checking was about 60. Most of us over 60 went through a number of car "phases". I had Jags, Audis,big Chryslers, Cadillacs, small Japanese cars, sports cars, and so on. I finally decided that my life does not revolve around cars. We own a real estate business (I'm not a realtor -my wife is the broker and we have 14 agents), we like to travel, we are building a house, and have five grandchildren. I have a 2000 V6 Mustang red convertible I fool around with and put in shows but the other cars are designed all for a specific purpose. The Avalanche is the company truck, I have a Deville for road trips, and have a 2001 Malibu to run around town in. I'll replace that with a LaCrosse this winter. Bottom line is that each vehicle has to meet a specific criteria. If I had to pick the best all around car that does virtually everything, it would be a LeSabre. If I had to have only one car that is what it would be. I could care less about the demographics of other owners. It doesn't matter to me in the least whether the cars I buy are driven by yuppies or geezers. If it does what I need for it to do I'll buy it. Why spend $80,000 for a MB 7 series to impress the neighbors when it doesn't serve any more of a purpose than a LeSabre or LaCrosse and isn't as big as my Deville (a "certified" '03 I bought in Jan. '04 for $27k)
    Some of us have reached the point- financially and age-wise where we don't have to prove a prove a point by the cars we drive. We just drive what is comfortable and meets our specific needs.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    away from our subject, which is the LaCrosse ... not the demographics nor the history of Buick purchasers ...

Thanks.
    Buick is trying to reduce the median age of buyers of its cars and LaCrosse is the first of the new sedans. I think that demographics has a lot to do with appeal since a lot of buyers steer away from vehicles that are only purchased by "old" people. I agree that this is a LaCrosse forum but there always seems to be cross-comparisons between Centurys and LeSabres for some reason. Anytime we get in a discussion about a particular GM car the thread seems to gravitate to GM's financial troubles, what it ought to do to get fixed and so on. All I was doing was pointing out some of the reasons why people choose LaCrosses, LeSabres, and other Buick sedans . They are the cars that seem to do everything well and lots of purchasers have to buy a car that meets specific criteria, not what is currently fashionable or popular with car writers.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Understood, but the discussions on the News & Views board are where the philosophical discussions of all things Buick belong.

Indeed, this discussion is about the LaCrosse.

Thanks.
    I saw a smaller Mercedes that looked like a LaCrosse on Saturday around town. The front had similarities; then the rear had the same shape to the taillight group as the LaCrosse. Later in the day I saw a convertible with the same appearance to the taillights. Nice similarity although LaCrosse has a much better repair record than Mercedes.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    You are dead on. I don't care if people have BMW on the hood of their car. I never did care much and I do even less now. Buick offers big bang for the buck with the LaCrosse. All the luxury and space I would need for a reasonable price. At 36, I could help Buick bring down it's average buyer age also. Still another 3-4 years till I will buy a car again though.
    I may look around for a used '05 LaCrosse in January rather than losing money on a new '06. When you look at the list of standard equipment for the CXL you would get a fully equipped car regardless whether it is an ex-rental or a lease return. Rentals rarely have any optional equipment so it is important to chose a model of car that has the proper level of standard equipment. The CX doesn't but the CXL does.
    Gm will extend the warranty on 2006 Buicks and make onstar standard. I am thinking the Lacrosse's price will be dropped by $1500-$2000. I just priced a fully loaded 2006 CTS and it is about 5K cheaper than a 2005. I expect the same thing will be true with the lacrosse. If you look at the impala's pricing you would think Buick will make some adjustments to the lacrosse. an '06 Impala LTZ with 17s, remote start, leather, power seats and Bose can be had for less than $27K.
    Buyers of the LaCrosse who are considering XM satellite radio should be aware of the fact that although there are no commercials there are a number of announcements and commentary concerning the songs . It is NOT nonstop music. It is sort of like a radio station without the commercials. I had it briefly on a Toyota that I drove for a month and got rid of. I will not get it again on anything -I'd just as soon play CDs with no commentary.
  • rwisemrwisem Posts: 96
    Depends on your personal preferences whether XM is worth it or not. My wife is a news junkie and loves the ability to listen to CNN, etc in the car. I'm a music lover and can play my whole collection without talk from my ipod with an FM modulator. I listen to XM radio to get turned on to new music artists and the info provided is invaluable to me. I hate the way commercial radio will play a song and not tell you the name or artist most of the time.
    Well, you will be certainly be able to hear the name of the artist and song title with XM radio. I agree that the news is important but frankly I'm tired of all these monthly options - OnStar -agreed that it would be important if the air bag went off but I've had my Cadillac for a year and a half and have NEVER used On-Star. XM Radio is another monthly cost of dubious (to me) usefullness. I certainly won't bother with it again on a LaCrosse or anything else.
    You know, I've been thinking about gas mileage again with gas prices going up to $2.24 here in New Mexico. I'll probably scrub the LaCrosse plan and get a Honda Civic EX coupe. I drove one the other day - it obviously isn't a mid size car but rides smoother than an Accord coupe and is rated at 38 on the road and is 31 in town. It also is $18k and has lots of standard equipment. The good old 3800 does well on the highway but is no great shakes around town. I doubt that gas prices are going to come down anytime soon.
    How do you go from a LaCrosse to a little Civc compact?? They aren't even close to being in the same league. :confuse:
  • montsmonts Posts: 1
    I just bought a Buick le sabre 1997 ltd. Ofcourse it runs great. And for a change, I am under 30 :).
    I wanted to know how long lasting are Buick engines. I have 85k miles on it and the rate at whcih I drive, it will be near 92k by the end of year. Am wondering how long do Buicks (1997) go before they start coming up with repairs every now and then.

Monts.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Posts: 391
    Buick 3800 engines last a long time. I see used ones on the web for sale with 200,000 miles. Of course they love clean fresh oil and a good oil filter. Some people overlook the transmission fluid and filter, but I have heard that the engines as so good that the transmission is sometimes the first major thing to go. Enjoy your car!
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    pretty dead here but here is some data to chew on.
    May June
    LaCrosse 6000 10600
    Grand Prix 9600 9500
    300M 13000 11500
    Ford 500 8900 8600
    ES330 6000 6000
    TL 7000 6200

LaCrosse is sizzling. The employee pricing seems to have made quite a difference. Bet for '06 GM reduces the price like they keep saying. 300M is starting to drop off. May be due to folks finding the laCrosse pricing to good to pass up.

Also if you add up the Grand Prix and LaCrosse sales you can see that the plant is running at capacity if the sales continue at this level. Of course sales will fall off when the pricing stops. Then again, when there are more out there folks will see them and might keep the sales going.
    >300M is starting to drop off.

maybe the ugly or unusual car buyer market has been saturated -- depending on your point of view. A lot of drivers in 300s that I see seem to watch to see if they're getting attention or not. I keep remembering all the unusual, earth-changing designs out of Chrysler through the decades--wonder how many months this one will last before taste catches up.
    The 300 is getting tired to look at for sure. I think it's a good car but like any retro styled car it's time comes and goes. I don't think sales dropped off, it's more that LaCrosse sales shot up from employee pricing.
    I wouldnt say the lacrosse's sales are sizzling but they are improving. I dont think it's going to do much better than 8000-9000 units a month withou big programs. They did not drop the '06 pricing and I dont know why. If they had reduced the price of the lacrosse by about 2 grand the car would continue to be successful. As I said before the Impala's pricing makes the Lacrosse look bad. Granted the Lacrosse CXS has some features not found on the impala LTZ like automatic dual zone and stabilitrak but they arent enough to justify the price difference.

I do think it's interesting to note with the discount pricing the lacrosse's sales are close to that of the 300.
    The 06 does add equipment though like standard ABS and head curtain SABs