Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    the impala is definitely a better buy. They are charging a premium for the lacrosse, but it doesnt have the features to justify it's price when compared to the Impala. I am wondering if the new Impala is going to hurt Lacrosse's sales in the long run.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    wards auto on line.
    What features on the Impala that the LaCrosse does not have?

I see the V8, special rear folding seat.
  • neshapopneshapop Member Posts: 22
    We got new Allure/Lacrosse CX a month ago and after ~1600km/1000mi the car started to develop some rumbling/howling noise in right front wheel/tire only on highway speeds, also even on the smoothest newly paved roads I could feel slight vibration in my steering wheel. Dealership was not convinced about my complain after they changed bearing assembly and put some insulation under the wheel caps but the noise was still there. I will come back there again to stress that out.

We were delighted with the car but so far somehow that spoiled the show, this is my second Buick (old Regal 91' never had that problem) and we loved the ride but this pissed me off royally after a few short getaways in Toronto area. It should be smooth and QUIET on the highway like all Buicks! :cry:

Did anybody have similar experience? Please advise.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    Could it be the tires? I assume the dealer switched the wheels around to verify that the sound didn't move with that tire?

Alignment been set to middle of range?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I already suggested to check the balance or runout but they dismissed that cause right away :confuse: .

I work as pump designer and I know about noise and vibration a lot. To me it must be tire disbalance/runout, driveshaft concentricity issue, bearing tolerances or according to some Range Rover internet forums power steering system/pump failure on highway speeds it does not perform well or it does not work properly.

The tires were "as is" from day one. I don't like those GY Integrity tires anyway.
    If your dealer is willing to troubleshoot what may not have any track record with GM before... my service manager seemed to have had good info from GM about all kinds of things that had worked with various H (G) bodies with vibration from wheels that had varying road force and how it transmitted through the body.
    Lighter unsprung weights due to alloy parts, aluminum wheels. stiffer 60 series tires with wide tires cause problems for some drivers.

Try a set of wheels from another new LaCrosse which when test driven does not show the vibration. This requires putting both cars up on lifts for a time and switching out the wheels, driving yours, and then switching wheels back.
    That will eliminate the wheels.

In an Accord discussion, some lead problems have been causes by engine cradle being slightly out of place. When they reset the whole front engine cradle, the odd lead is gone.

• dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    The Impala also has MP3 disc capability and a jack for your MP3 Player or other external music source. Nice touch.
    Thanks for the advice, I have to get back to my dealership service and try to go for test ride with them and leave the car for a day.
    Annoying problem but still minor inconvenience, to set aside my wife's grunt about buying Japanese instead GM. I thought with Buick I would have peace of mind. :(
    Yes, the LaCrosse uses the old style radio with an integrated faceplate. An MP3 compatible CD radio is available but w/o the port jack.

Seems like there is not much difference in features between the two.
    If your dealer cannot help you try another dealer. Sounds like tires to me and Goodyear is used by everyone so not Buicks direct fault.

Sorry!
  • gorphilgorphil Member Posts: 27
    Have any Allure/LaCrosse owners notice an increase in engine/transmission noise entering the passenger compartment when accelerating in 1st and 2nd gears. The noise in my Allure appears to have increased after the brake pedal recall service was performed. It leads me to suspect that some insulation/sound deadening material may have been removed and not replaced. The dealer and GM Canada have been of no assistance. Any suggestions?

Overall, I am very happy with the Allure and would buy another one.

The only disappointment is that I paid C$950. for chrome alloy wheels and ended up with standard alloy wheels that have a chrome plastic overlay.
    If they worked in the engine compartment, look for hoses for heater, power steering that may be moved so they touch metal and transmit more vibration to the frame or firewall and you hear it. I had power steering hoses on a LeSabre that had shifted where they were tied to hold them in place with zipties.

• vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    The one thing that draws me to the LaCrosse/Allure is the 3.6L engine. Coming from an Intrigue with a 3.5L Twincam, I would like to get a similar engine. That said, with the VVT on the new 3.5 and 3.9 on the Impala, maybe I wouldn't care than much.
    I am seeing a lot of LaCrosses in the Detroit area. Not all company cars either. Drivers are from 40-70.
  • sscott1sscott1 Member Posts: 22
    I have a LaCrosse CXS that I bought three months ago. I traded a 99 Regal GSE with the supercharged 3800 engine. I got 22 MPG with the Regal and it had lots of performance. I was hoping for slightly better mileage with the LaCrosse without the premium fuel requirement. Not so! I am getting 19 MPG and the dealer checked it out and could find nothing wrong. I calculated my mileage by hand and confirmed what the on board computer is showing. Anyone considering a LaCrosse CXS with the 3.6L engine, beware! It's also a dog compared to the 99 Regal I traded in.
  • batistabatista Member Posts: 159
    The 3.6L in the LaCrosse is underpowered for torque. It has only 225lb/ft of torque which is pathetic for a DOHC engine of this size.
    The 3.6L in the CTS has 255 lb/ft. I do not know why they detuned it so much.
    Is that 19 MPG combined?

Keep in mind the A/C in the summer kills mileage.
    I was testing my CX since day one and it showed 34 mpg on flat highway at speed limit speed (55-65) and 31mpg at normal driving 65-75 mph, combined ~50/50 consumption was 22-23 mpg so far. Usually running at 2000 rpm+/-10% Original spec says 20/29 mpg, although not the same engine but also depending how heavy foot you have. I found quietness of the car also a bit confusing because I didn't hear old Regal engine rev. I guess people tend to step on the gas harder to get that old "Buick Regal tune". Mine was 91' with 155K on it (sent to "Car Heaven" :( ) and it was a different animal. My Allure/Lacrosse is more groomed and slow soft rock type of car which is ok. I guess I am getting old ;)

Besides that tire noise I described earlier one really great car!!!

...just my 0.02$
  • chicagodrive1chicagodrive1 Member Posts: 64
    I am seeing a lot of LaCrosses in the Detroit area. Not all company cars either. Drivers are from 40-70.

Hard to believe that they're not company cars.

Saw a bunch of Pacificas in Detroit when they came out last year. But when I returned to Chicago, only saw them parked in the dealer lots. Its still rare to see a Pacifica, I think Toyota sells more Prius' than Chrysler sells Pacificas.

I highly doubt the cars purchaed in Detroit reflect the buying patterns of the rest of the country.
    I'm not sure what the statemetn
    "Hard to believe that they're not company cars" means but in this area they're not company cars. I am seeing a lot of them and the rate is about the same as Regals and LeSabres used to be. The buyer demographics seems broad as well. Can't stereotype it as an older, wiser, carbuyer's vehicle.

• chicagodrive1chicagodrive1 Member Posts: 64
    Oh I don't know, who could possibly be head quartered in Detroit?

In Detroit everyone and their uncle knows someone who work for the big 3, and as such benefit from employee discounts from those manufacturers. So wouldn't this market be slanted to those makers?

Its like driving through Auburn Hills (DaimlerChrysler) headquarters and not be surprised that every other car is going to be a brand new Pacifica, Durango or 300.

I'm sure Stuttgart has its share of Mercedes and Bimmers driving around but I don't think that would be reflective of what the rest of Europe is driving.
    All he said is that they are not company cars and that they are selling well here. Yes, many get employee discounts, even you can!!! :D
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    I dont live near Detroit but I am seeing more and more lacrosses. Admittedly I wasn't seeing many three or four months ago, but now I am seeing quite a few. Most of them are the mid level model, but I do see CXS models now and then. The car looks much better with the 17" rims, which I feel should be standard. I hope they upgrade this car for '07 to make it superior to the cheaper Impala.
    CXS should sell about 10% of total volume. That is about what the GS Regal sold when combining Century and Regal sales.

Yes 17" would look better but the ride would suffer and the CX/CXS need to have a great ride. And I do not mean the Buick ride of the past. The cars with 16" have a ride comparable to the Camry but slightly firmer than the Lexus.
    It sure is underpowered. I miss the 280 lb-ft of torque that my sc 3800 engine had in my 99 Regal. With variable valve timing the torque curve is flat from 1500 RPM to 5000. That helps a bunch, but does not make up for that supercharger. I was a little surprised that they got away with regular gas with a 10.2:1 compression ratio. That may have something to do with the reduced torque rating compared to the same engine in the CTS. Sometimes packaging constraints force intake and exhaust compromise that can reduce power as well.
    Yes that is combined. I drive about 22 miles one way to work and that is about 50/50 interstate highway and city. My Regal typically lost about 1mpg in the summer with AC on. The dealer reset my average to zero on the on board computer to see if the initial idling etc while it was on the lot at the dealer was dragging down the average. It helped about 0.3 mpg so far. I'm all the way up to 19.6 average. Whoppy!
    Your CX has the 3800 engine. Down on power compared to the 3.6L and geared differently. My CXS runs about 2400 rpm at 70-75 mph. All part of the tuning. If you went from a 91 with 155k to an 05 you made a giant leap in sophistication and NVH. I noticed a big difference from my 99. I found myself driving slower at first because it was so quiet and smooth. My 99 Regal was the fastest car I've had since my 69 Camaro SS w/ a 396. That tells you how old I am. I guess we fit the typical Buick demographic.
    Have you tried different brands of gas? I know a lot of people complain about Costco gas mileage for example. Mite be another idea to get better mileage.
    I read that 3.8L 3rd generation engine meets SULEV standard (90% less emissions gases than 2003 tire 1 models!), that's why maybe different tuning and entire design approach. Not sure about 3.6 VVT, I think higher than that, maybe ULE or so...can that affect the engine performance? I guess so...see link below

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/by model/2005_Buick_Lacrosseallure.shtml

I am not that old :shades:, maybe just "an old school" ("only" 37 but with wife is the most conservative driver/passenger as "supervisor"). That's why we picked CX, enough power and great value after all incentives. Here in Toronto I got mine for <$25K US "on the road". Anyway in Metro area you can't spread your wings too much, traffic is mostly average to slow...I could step on old Regal and have zoom effect more than new Allure but now the new baby goes with Pink Floyd CDs nice and SMOOTH! We loved the style too, meanies compare it with Taurus but I would say older E Class MBenz. Especially in black/gray color!
    The Allure is a much nicer car than the Taurus. With a V6 and quiet interior It's more like a nicer Camry at the CX level. Premium midsize sedan.
    I had a 99 Regal GSE and it was a very good car. Acceptable mileage and with the SC3800 engine, great performance. Mine had 85K miles when I traded it on an 05 Lacrosse. The only real problem I had with it was brake pulsations or shudder caused by warped discs. This is a problem GM has had for years. I figured out on my own that the cause was over torqueing lug nuts. The dealer never did agree with me and always said they torqued lug nuts properly. I had the same problems on previous GM cars I have owned and finally resorted to re-torqueing lug nuts myself every time the wheels were removed. I noticed when reading the owners manual for my LaCrosse that GM actually says that over torqueing lug nuts causes brake pulsations right in the manual. Some dealers may hand torque lug nuts on request, but most use a pneumatic impact wrench. Buy yourself a low cost torque wrench and torque the lugs before you drive the car after wheels are removed for tire rotation etc. I always used around 75 to 80 ft-lbs. If the dealer wont do it for you re-torque then in their parking lot and they may start to cooperate. If you brake with your left foot, make sure you do not inadvertently ride the brake. It is heat that causes the warpage. I figured the over torque caused stress in the disc and heat partially releaved the stress then when the discs cooled they warp. It doesn't take much warpage to feel it in the brake pedal.
    Interesting, my CXS turns about 2400 RPM at 70 MPH and gets 19 MPG. I'm not happy with that at all!. Otherwise the car is very quiet and comfortable. The 3.6L VVT is down on power compared to my old 99 Regal SC3800.
    > always used around 75 to 80 ft-lbs.

Check your LaCrosse manual to see what the torque is for the wheels. My LeSabre is 100 lb-ft.
    Dragging calipers also can exacerabate the uneveness in the rotors.

Question for those interested in buying a LaCrosse. What would be a good choice for an uplevel model of LaCrosse? Would need to choose a basic engine from GM's choices.

Perhaps a turbo DOHC 3.6L, perhaps a supercharged DOHC 3.6L, perhaps the tried and true supercharged 3.8L, or even the same V8 that is in the Pontiac/Impala?

I would assume that HP would be around the V8's 300hp. Or maybe there is no need for a higher performance version of the LaCrosse, after all the Lexus ES and Camry have less HP. (218 vs. 240) And the Accord only has 244. Of course the TL has 270 so maybe that will be enough? Or perhaps potential Buick buyers do not care about performance and there is no need for that reason.
    Your engine choices in a LaCrosse are limited. No Turbo or supercharged 3.6L or SC3800 available. The DOHC 2 valve 3.6l is the same basic engine used in the Cadillac CTS although much detuned. The CTS has 255 hp and 252 lb-ft vs. the Buick at 240 hp and 225 lb-ft of torque. Don't just look at horsepower ratings. Look at torque as well. My old 99 Regal had the SC3800 at 240 hp and 280 lb-ft of torque; BIG difference in performance compared to the 3.6L LaCrosse. Your other choice is the venerable 3800, but I drove one before buying my CXS and it is a dog! A vary reliable engine that has been around for a long time and should get you mid 20s mileage. So far my mileage is very disappointing at 20 mpg. It is slowly improving from 19, but don't know if it will get to 22 to 23 or not. Other than that the LaCrosse is very quiet and comfortable with nice bells and whistles on the CXS. I have worked in the auto industry for 20+ years and was rabidly buy American, but I have gotten over it. I figure the US auto makers don't deserve my loyalty. If you can afford a Lexus, you can't go wrong. What ever you decide, drive one first and not just for a short ride around the block. I test drove my CXS and knew it was down on performance, but did not realize how much until my first drive into work in a familiar situation. I had some serious buyer's remorse from the loss of performance. I was used to merging onto the interstate and jumping in the left lane and accelerating to 70 mph quickly in my Regal, but the CXS just didn't have it. It all depends on what you are used to. Good luck!
    Your right about the mix of cars in the Detroit area. I get up to my "favorite" customer in Dearborn about once a week and I see a completely different mix on I94 than I see around home.
    The power of the 3.6L may be down but it's still a peppy engine. It's also a more refined power. I suspect as the engine gains more use (it's coming for the Saturn Aura) you may see some mods available that will give you more power. If it's been de-tuned from the CTS, no doubt some one will tune it.
    I read a lot complains about fuel economy in various car reviews, I did my homework prior vehicle purchase. EPA suggests city/highway mileage as AVERAGE therefore it may vary +/-10% from posted rating. 20/23/29 mpg was OK for me. I am getting 21-22 mpg so far but at 60/40 city/highway driving.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/ratings_description.shtml

Look at the link below how the cars were tested, reading your comment I noticed that your driving style is more aggressive vs test conditions and your mpg will be lower. I tried my CX with growling RPM with a lot acceleration 50-75 mph and got lower mpg as well. Driving in accordance with their standards I got even lower mpg for highway!

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

Speaking of power and torque I also noticed that imports (i.e. Accord V6 or Camry 4 cyl.) were pretty lazy and underpowered. My friend has Accord V6 and I must admit that those 240 HP were well hidden, not to mention poor 4 cyl. with Camry. I read that Buick was aiming for Lexus ES 330 and we have a plenty of those in my neighborhood and they looked to me slow and bouncy as old Buicks. Not to mention extremely boring style... Sorry to read about your buyer's regret but I work in similar industry and I am familiar how Marketing and Sales can make the things look promising but there is a long paragraph on the bottom in fine print to say the opposite. I am happy with my purchase, got what I was looking for. Maybe Audi 1.8 T would meet your spec or BMW series 5 but I don't thing that will be better on mpg, sporty driving style does not go with fuel economy. Or maybe new Lucerne with V8? I would not buy Japanese because everybody has it, just 200 ft down my street I see 4 Infinity G35s. What's the point? I came from ex communist country and I get rash when I see one car model for everybody in only two colors! :P
    Exactly, you were used to the great torquer 3.8L engine. Even though the 3.6 in the CXS has a great flat torque curve it just does not have the torque of the 3.8L. You need to rev up a OHC engine to get into the HP peak. Have you driven a Lexus ES or Camry V6 in the same situation? Wondering what your opinion of their performance would be.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    would you be pushing this car anywhay? Its a Buick! You want power get an Impala V8!

This is a buick, and in CXS i think its fast enough. They could have put in say the CTS tuned V6 as the CXS model and the lower tuned as the CXL and lest the 3.8 as the Base. But hey didn't and they will loose some sales.

Still, this is a buick, and it does have more hp than the 330 as far as i know. So they sort of got what they were aiming for. GM needs to get there costs dows so they can give us what we want.

This car was designed to have a comfortable quiet and smooth ride, with better handling but sporty. I think they did just fine. They should probably add that wood-ish trim to the steering wheel though, but thats just me.

Is the car selling well for august?
    It did drop from the very high volume in June and July. Mostly due to pull ahead and low dealer stock. Will have to wait untill October/November when the '06's get stock back up to normal levels
  • 02electronblue02electronblue Member Posts: 22
    I'm trying desperately to find out if a nav system is available on the Lacrosse (or even the Lucerne) in 2006. I am used to the benefits of nav (OK, so it's not perfect) in our 2000 TL, and I honestly won't live without it. I know that it wasn't an option for 05, but I hope it is for 06. If not, GM deserves their demise! Even a friggen 2006 Honda Civic can come with a factory nav in EX form!

And don't call me a GM hater..."electron blue" is for my Corvette, which I love.
    Nav will not be in for '06. Because the LaCrosse was designed with a flush faceplate it will take some major tooling to get it done. The others use a "brick" behind a separate faceplate that allows multiple radios to be used w/o tooling up separate trimplates.

They went for a smooth integrated IP. Maybe it was a mistake but at the time it was designed but, and as far as I know now, Nav is a very low penetrating option due to its high cost in $20 something vehicles. In fact it is almost 0 penetration.

Yes the Civic has it available but at $2000? it does not sell any.
  • rwisemrwisem Member Posts: 96
    Ha! I remember when I was glad just to have a compass in the car! The Lacrosse DOES have a compass feature in the data display.

I use a portable Garmin C330. Works as well as a factory unit, can be used with any rental car, much cheaper to get software updates, and costs 1/4th as much.
    I agree, a lot of car journalists make that statement too, "the car is great but it does not have (name it) fancy feature". How many people would buy it vs. people who would turn their heads and say "I don't need it for XXXX$$$ extra". To me OnStar should be optional, nice feature but who cares!

When I was looking for my Allure CX the only thing I had as "must have" was 40/60 rear folding seat, I got driver info center, remote starter and column shift extra because very tight inventory in August (780$cnd extra). I like the features but does this make the car running? I need dependable quality car, more gadgets makes it less reliable regardless the make or model.
    Some times I think journalists think they need to find something to whine about or they are not doing their jobs, even if it is something insignificant. I think OnStar was optional the first few years it was available and the take rate was pretty low. They must be hoping that once you use it you'll pay the $20/month or whatever to keep it. Trouble is, to paraphrase Dirkson, 20 bucks here and 20 bucks there and pretty soon your talking real money. Even it you don't continue it you still have that antenna for good.

Isn't that folding seat nice? My old car just had a small pass through, but the 60/40 is great! I think I like the remote start, but in the summer when you get in on a hot day it is nice at first, but the wait to get the AC going again after you insert the key is not so great. It may be better in the winter, we'll see. All that idling is doing nothing for gas mileage. Technically the gadgets increase the odds of trouble, but I'm amazed at the reliability compared to what it was 20 years ago.
    sscott1, what is the wait you are talking about? Do you have the auto or manual HVAC head?
    Somehow me and my wife were looking for spartan type of car + Buick ride quality, useful features like 60/40 rear seat and remote starter were sure shot. I am very pleased with flip and fold armrest that comes with column shift and fuel consumption monitor at DIC. The first gives you great comfort and tones of useful space and DIC gave me pretty good outlook on my driving habits. How much difference make in fuel consumption few extra long traffic lights and one minute of idling on a hot day! So far I got 22 mpg combined but I would say on 60/40 city/highway routes with conservative driving style. Instant fuel consumption actually gives you great feedback on your foot/gas pedal habits, even in the city (believe me 5M Metro Toronto is getting more and more jammed and frustrating) if you step on the gas like on the boiled egg makes a difference.

If GM put OnStar on all vehicles and reduce the price to 10$/mth it may work but I still have 8 months to think about it. For now it is too pricey for me. Now I am absolutely crazy about black onyx color, we thought it would need to own car wash service to pay it off but appearance was great. I drove along with some M Benz E320 and older Lexus E330 and I saw the resemblance! GM copycats??? Hmmm...
  • wildcat1wildcat1 Member Posts: 6
    I took delivery of my 06 Lacrosse CXS on 20 Sep [ see "prices paid postings #3 &4]. I have owned a Maxima, Acura Legend and Intrgra, and two Accords in the past and currently own an 01 Sebring convertible, 99 Intrigue GL,and 02 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport AWD. I love cars and follow all the trade publications.I left Detroit's products in the late 70's due to quality issues, and bang for the buck with the Japanese imports. Although I enjoyed all the Japanese models while I owned them, they were not perfect, and called for more service than I felt justified. In the fall of 98 I had the GM card with a hefty rebate credit built up on it which I could only use on GM products, and it swayed me to try a 99 Intrigue GL with the 3.5 engine. The Intrigue has proven to be #1 in my overall auto ownership satisfaction experience. Although not perfect[ I needed to replace the fuel pressure switch last year] it has been otherwise trouble free, required minimal maintenance[ no timing belt to replace etc] great driving dynamics for my taste , good styling , and the best bang for the net price buck of all the other cars I have owned, which quite surprised me. Based on that experience, and all the discounts avialable on the Lacrosse [ see pricees paid posts] , and the overall positive experiences I have had with the Sebring and Caravan mentioned above, I have gone back to Detroit iron since 1999, and have not regretted it so far. I think that it is important to concentrate on the bottom line price, not the window sticker, and take advantage of all the discount possibilities open to the coupon clippers like me. As far as trade in value goes, I pass my cars on to family between the 5 and 7 year mark, and admit that US iron does not have great trade in value, but I submit that it has great overall value if you keep them until they die. So , for my particular circumstances, have found that the bang for the net buck equation has now reversed and now favors US autos.

The Lacrosse CXS is the spiritual successor to the Intrigue. So armed with my discounts, I decided to see if GM can duplicate my satisfaction level. The purchase experience was excellent once the price was established. Though only 1,000 miles so far, it has been perfect, and the features & handling etc are great. I hope that the Lacrosse proves my decision was the correct one.
This discussion has been closed.