Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• celica8celica8 Member Posts: 42
    I read somewhere the LaCrosse may get a facelift for '07 including portholes, is that true?
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    Where did you read this?
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    I read the Lacrosse was getting a facelight and V8 engine for 2007MY. Dont know if that is true or not, but I saw a front end pic that was reminiscent of the Velite concept car.
    Where did you see the picture?
    I read about the changes for '07 on cheersandgears.com
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    I have heard on a few sites a new Lucerne like grill is in the works for the LaCrosse.

The front end on the LaCrosse could use a little beefing up so I am all for it.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Timababy, I moved your post to our Help Me Choose! discussion since that's a better place for your question. Here's a link to where it is now: timababy, "Help Me Choose!" #1066, 7 Dec 2005 4:26 pm

If you have a specific question about the LaCrosse, feel free to post it here. Welcome and good luck!
    The Buick General Manager gave an interview and said by 2010 Buick will have 4 products. LaCrosse, Lucerne, some kind of smaller Rendezvous crossover replacement and a larger crossover. Minivan is going away and replaced by larger crossover.
  • jh1977jh1977 Member Posts: 40
    Have anybody driving a 2005 or 2006 LaCrosse with the 3800 engine had any problems with the engine? If you have had no problems with the 3800 Engine, are you satisfied with its performance regarding acceleration.
    This engine has been around for a million years. I doubt anyone would have any significant issues.
    Have anybody driving a 2005 or 2006 LaCrosse with the 3800 engine had any problems with the engine?

the engine is the series III which includes enhancments to make it quieter in the Buicks. It has a new aluminum structural oil pan which stiffens up the block for less frequency responses.
    I saw one with portholes on the highway yesterday. It was black. Very cool looking.
  • sscott1sscott1 Member Posts: 22
    As others have said this basic engine has been around since the 70s. There have been several improvements to reduce parasitic friction loses. I had a series I in a 93 Regal and a series II in a 99 Regal. I had no problems with either. I drove a LaCrosse CXL and was not happy with acceleration, so got a CXS with the 3.5L. Acceleration is still not great and gas mileage sucks (<20 mpg). The 3800 engine is reported to get mid 20s combined.
    I rented a base Allure CX over the holidays for a day and came away impressed. The 3800 was nicely isolated and the ride was fairly firm though not quite as sporty as my Intrigue. I can imagine the CXS being much better.

Still, for the money, I'd take a base Allure over a 4 banger Camry any day. Now if GM would just fix up the front end of the car a little..
    Base LaCrosse rides like a Camry with a V6. Except a slight bit better ride.
  • mirde98mirde98 Member Posts: 95
    I work for a car rental company and last week i rented a silver LaCrosse CXS with 103 miles on. I was so impressed with the LaCrosse and made me belive that GM can really build good cars. My last GM rental was a new Equinox LT with 10 miles aprox and i was dissaponted with the interior. Not the case here in the LaCrosse. The ride was controlled and comfy. To my opinion the exterior looks sharp. The interior materials are excellent. The Auto climate contols worked well and the audio sistem was great. THe leather seats were supportive and soft to the touch. Tons of convenient features. Being used to have 4 cyl cars...i knew that the LaCrosse were gonna hit my wallet at the gas station, so i went easy on her...i didnt race the engine. I got about 21mpg. Im trully impress with this car. I never got the chance to see under the hood to see what engine it had (i was on vacation) but it was smooth and peppy. My only issue with the LaCroose with the back seat space. Not very generous compared with our 2004 Galant and 2000 Accord. So i give the LaCroose a 9 out of 10.
    Sure the rental was a CXS and not a CXL?

CXS is the top of the line with a 240hp 3.6L.
  • mirde98mirde98 Member Posts: 95
    Yes it was a CXS. Didnt had a sunroof though.....but it was the CXS.
  • gorphilgorphil Member Posts: 27
    Does anyone know if a service bulletin has been issued concerning the installation of a modified mounting bracket for the external temperature sensor on early production LaCrosse/Allure cars. I would like to know the bulletin number if one has been issued.
    Gordon
    Further to my post regarding the external temperature sensor, the driver information centre would go blank when I went through a car wash. It would come back on when one of the information centre control buttons was pressed.
    I was also getting inaccurate external temperature readings until the engine compartment warmed up

The problem may have been poor routing of the sensor wires which allowed them/sensor to get moisture contamination.

When the dealer ordered a new sensor, they ordered one with a new bracket. The new bracket is a much better mounting arrangement with the wires somewhat protected from water. I think the 2006 models have the new bracket but I do not know if it was a running modification during the 2005 model run,
    Gordon
    Buick, meanwhile, will get an "uplevel version" of the Buick LaCrosse sedan that will include new exterior trim and a new engine, Buick spokesman David Darovitz confirmed Tuesday. He said no price has been decided.
  • dell46dell46 Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2005 LaCrosse CX and when I set the cruise control it holds the speed fine. If I accelerate and go above my set speed for 60 seconds with my foot on the accelerator the cruise disengages and I have to hit the Resume to activate it again. Is this a normal feature? Do other LaCrosses do the same thing? I would appreciate any input you may have.
    furthermore this model is going ot have a V8 engine and revised front end styling. I bet this car will have the 5.3L V8 from the Impala. I wonder how this is going to affect Lucerne sales.
    furthermore this model is going ot have a V8 engine and revised front end styling. I bet this car will have the 5.3L V8 from the Impala. I wonder how this is going to affect Lucerne sales.

Maybe true but nothing official has been announced yet. I doubt it will have any effect on Lucerne sales. too much difference in size. Question is what will happen to the 3.6L. The V8 is cheap compared to the 3.6 but does not have the refinement of the 3.6L. Sad to say but unless they drop the price of the 3.6 model it will die. My opinion is to make the 3.6L standard in '08, raise the base price $1500 with the engine and required stuff (upgraded tranny, suspension, exhaust, etc.) Let the 3800 die then. Put the 3.6L as standard in the LuCerne also. Of course the financial thing to do is use the cheaper, but less refined, 3.9 in both as standard.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    use the 3.9 as standard on lacrosse and Lucerne, it is economical and hp competetive (even has VVT). Then, for the uplevel verions, GM should use the 3.6L V6 and make it have 270 hp (like in the Velite concept). With 30 more hp and all that refinment this car will be worlds better than it currently is.

A really important thing is, to improve interrior volume. This car, along with the impala needs a new platform, or at least more competetive interrior space.

Portholes anyone? A v8 would be redundant.
    3.9 would be good but the 3.6 will die. The V8 will make it not sell due to the V8 being cheap.

Yep, new platforms are needed for the LaCrosse and Lucerne. Next model LaCrosse, if their is one, will be on something else.
    My guess is that the Lacrosse is going to offer three engines with the 3.6 being offered in the middle model and the V8 in the CXS. I dont think they are going to come up with a new model designation. This would be good news because the 3.6 would be available in a cheaper car. If the Impala and GP have three engines I dont see any reason why the lacrosse cant. Hopefully 18" wheels and an 8 way power seat will be added as well. You cant call a car luxurious with a 6 way seat, especially when the Impala has an 8 way seat.
    May work. Keep the 18's on the CXS only. Put 17's on the CXL/3.6. Issue still is the cost delta between the 3.6 and V8. The CXL will go up about $2000 and the CXS will remain about the same.
  • gmhellmangmhellman Member Posts: 121
    Dear God I hope so, I do see a hint of the lucerne in the photos too. The fit and finish of the car look much better in my opinion and I like the rear taillights. That is a car I would seriously consider paying sticker for.

Greg
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    GM's cost structure in China is far superrior to that of USA. They do not have huge debts in China and the workers dont hold guns every 4 years asking for a pay increase and the like.

Therefore, GM can put crazy stuff into a car like... leather! and wood! it looks real! and a hood ornament! must be people over there won't tear it off!

ok enough sarcasm. The point is, that is they make it for sale here it would have to be made in china or korea. Well, it could be made here, but either in a non-union southern plant (think honda and toyota) or with many compromises and sacrifices.

Still, I wish them well. They carry the flag with them in many ways.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    Well, minus its wimpy engines, a 2.4 and a 3.0, both old OHV designs with very little power, probably because of China's low-quality gas! :P
  • rivieraranchrivieraranch Member Posts: 28
    What would be a fair lease payment for a 36 month GMAC lease on an '06 Lacrosse that MSRP's for $26,200.00, $0 down. This would be in Southeast Florida.
  • curt2005curt2005 Member Posts: 70
    3rd test drive. (First two were a couple of months ago.)

Accelerator pedal has to be held down all the time, even going downhill. My old 1990 Olds has the V6 ancestor of the same engine and will drift down a sloping offramp with my foot completely off the accelerator.

Is that a function of drive by wire or what? I felt like I was forcing the LaCrosse all the time. Even checked to be sure the parking brake wasn't on.

Very strange. Going home, my old car felt like a hotrod compared to the LaCrosse.
    Head clearance on the middle model was fine. In the top model my head was just barely clearing the lowered headliner due to the sunroof.

In order to get stabilitrack, you have to get the top model with standard sunroof.

I guess that Buick thinks that tall people don't need stability control.

I am genuinely puzzled by this.
    Something wrong with it. Try a different one and see. What did it do when you had your foot off?
    Most likely a weight problem. It is not a planned feature!! There are weight classes put out by the government. If you go over a certain weight you must revise your EPA MPG down. I would guess Buick is trying to keep under a certain level. Hopefully they will get around this quickly. NOT GOOD!!!
    The car would have come to a stop on a downhill offramp if I hadn't kept my foot pressing hard on the accelerator.

Same problem when I tried LaCrosse several months ago. Parking brake wasn't on. Salesman had no ideas.

Must be something about the accelerator spring. Does the car have drive by wire? That's probably it.

Felt like I was forcing the car all the time.
    For some reason, GM and Ford think that stability control on a car (as opposed to an SUV) is a luxury feature or only for hot-rodders.

Most newer Japanese cars have stability control standard or as an option on all trim levels. Car and Driver, Consumer Reports, IIHS, and government think that it is useful for anyone.

Weird.

Same with side curtain airbags. Ford getting a terrible black eye on Fusion crash tests because curtain airbags are not standard. They have announced that they will be standard for 2007. What did they expect?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    >Most newer Japanese cars have stability control standard or as an option on all trim levels

I just checked Corolla-I didn't find Stability control there. Did I overlook it?
    I didn't find it on the 4-dr Accord. They have electronic brake force distribution-whatever that is.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

electronic brake force distribution senses when the driver pushs the pedal with very quick sudden force, ie a panic stop. The brake system then applies the brakes much faster and harder to shorten braking distance.
    Is Corolla a competitor to the LaCrosse?

Asian companies think that stability control is for everyone

Camry - optional on all models
    Accord - standard on higher trim level
    Acura - standard on all models
    Hyundai Sonata - standard

US companies think that stability control is only for SUVs and sport models
    Ford 500/Montego - not available
    Ford Fusion/Milan/Zephyr - not available
    Cad CTS - not available
    As has been said before. Stability Control will be available/standard on all GM vehicles soon.

For instance the current old CTS will not get it but its 2008 replacement will. The new Camry does have it available on all models but not standard. On Accord it is not available on all models just like GM.

This feature is in transition. It is expensive. Older cars will not get it because of the develoopment costs. More expensive vehicles will get it as they come out as new. GM trucks all have it because it is a safety feature much needed on top heavy trucks. All manufacturers are phasing it in.

This is a LaCrosse forum. the LaCrosse came out 2 years ago. At that time few cars below $28,000 had stability control as even an option.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    from post 2023:
    >Most newer Japanese cars have stability control standard or as an option on all trim levels.

I checked some Japanese cars.

>Is Corolla a competitor to the LaCrosse?

Nothing was said about only competitor cars for LaCrosse.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    No, EBD is the modulation of the fluid pressure difference between wheels on the same axle or side on the weight distribution between them (i.e., trunk cargo weight or curve).
    http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=4023227

It's BA, not A-B
    Brake Assist, known as BA, is another electronic braking system and is often partnered with EBD.

BA monitors a driver's braking and if it detects that a driver is in an emergency braking maneuver, it automatically supplements the driver's attempt to stop quickly by boosting brake power to the maximum. BA stops working immediately after the driver lifts up on the brake pedal.

Unlike ABS, BA can help improve vehicle stopping distances. Research has shown the system even helps pro drivers stop more effectively.

this is what I meant.
    You forgot to mention its standard on Grand Prix GXP and G6 GTP as well as Lucerne CXS.

Stabilitrak is available on the CTS and standard on some models. Where are you getting your info from?
    Have any members, especially in the Oshawa, Ontario area, seen the 07 LaCrosse/Allure? I understand some models, probably the V8 versions, have been produced for testing.

The owner of the dealership where I purchase my cars has driven a V8 version, with displacement on demand, and is impressed.
    have you read about the '07 anywhere on the web?
  • mr_fizzixmr_fizzix Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone.

Just got a new allure last week. Very happy with the car... except:

I'm noticing that the odometer is giving me some "funny readings"... basically numbers that don't make much sense (but are not too far off), and sometimes displays digits that aren't even numbers. The trip setting seems to give realistic readings though, just the odo is off. And, no I'm not being confused between imperial/metric.

I'll probably take it to the dealer to look at this weekend, but was wondering if anyone here has heard of similar problems on this model, or could give some advice. Nothing like ghost electrical problems on a brand new car!

if anyone's interested, sample readings (in km):
    odo: 318, 397, 387, 494
    trip: 0, 19, 69, 125

if the initial 318 on the odo was right when I set the trip, the rest of the readings should be: 337, 387, 443.. only the 387 matches up...

:(
This discussion has been closed.