Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• nkairnsnkairns Member Posts: 27
    There appears to be some sort of noise coming from the front end of my 2005 Allure (Canadian version of the La Crosse) It's most often heard making a turn (right and left) from a dead stop or a slow roll. It sounds like steering but there is no shimmy in the wheel or highway noise at all. Has anyone experienced this problem?
  • frankkfrankk Member Posts: 35
    I have noticed this too. It does it once in a blue moon, so it falls off my "take it to the dealer" radar.

I did have a problem with the serpentine belt squealing. The dealer fixed it (replaced the belt), said that there was a service bulleting.
  • lacrossesoakedlacrossesoaked Member Posts: 87
    Have you checked the level of your power steering fluid? Just a thought from a non-mechanic type....Let me know what the problem turns out to be. After the dealer finally (4 tries) fixed the water leak on our '05 LaCrosse, it has been a great car, but I like to know what may be on the horizon !
  • awaykenawayken Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my front end after 11 months. The dealership diagnosed the problem as a faulty intermediate steering shaft. I had the steering shaft replaced in Jan 2006 and the problem has come back again in the beginning of Dec. I am beginning to think this is a common problem with some of the Gm cars. I did not have this problem with my 2002 Impala.
  • gorphilgorphil Member Posts: 27
    The noise you are hearing may be "insufficient pinion bearing pre-load" in the rack and pinion. The rack and pinion are helical and when the steering wheel is turned from left to right the pinion shaft moves up or down, if the bearings have insufficient pre-load, resulting in a clunking noise. This condition can be check with the car standing still with the engine on or off by turning the steering wheel from left to right. The condition is not harmful just annoying. I have not heard of this problem with any other GM cars, only W platform vehicls.
    I have noticed this problem on the following cars I have owned:
    1982 Century - moderate.
    1983 Century - severe.
    1998 Regal - moderate.
    2000 Regal - none.
    2003 Regal - moderate.
    2005 Allure - mild.
    The last time I checked there was not an easy way to adjust the bearings other than to remove the rack and pinion and tighten the retaining nut on the bench.
    Gord.
  • gerrycgerryc Member Posts: 9
    I encountered this problem on my 05 Allure around the 20000 mile/32000 KM point. It manifested as an audible knocking sound which I could feel in the steering wheel while turning left or right at low speeds when going either forward or bakward. Dealer confirmed this week that it was the intermediate steering shaft which was replaced as a warranty repair. The service advisor noted that this was a problem on other Buick models.
    Thanks to everyone for the quick responses. I've made an appointment with my local Pontiac/Buick Dealer to have the intermediate steering shaft looked at. Reading the other issues concerning this problem, I am pretty sure this is where the problem lies. I'll let you know.
    Norm
    I have been informed by my Service Adviser that they correct the problem by lubricating the intermediate steering shaft. This requires removal of the shaft, lubrication and reinstalation.
    Gord.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    I was reading the owners manual of my Chrysler Pacifica, and I was surprised that it comes from the factory with synthetic automatic transmission fluid. As anyone changed their LaCrosse to synthetic ATF? My wife has a 2005 LaCrosse CXL, and we would like to keep it for a long time. Her 1998 Regal LS had a premature transmission failure at 100,000 miles.
  • bxdbxd Member Posts: 186
    I haven't put synthetic in a LaCrosse, but I have general experience with GM cars (w-bodies) and this powertrain.

It's important to drain and fill the fluid often, about every 50k miles if you want the tranny to last long. Synthetic is nice and I feel it is worth it, but I wouldn't switch to synthetic and then "forget about it".
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    My 2000 Regal GS transmission is filled with synthetic ATF. Different car, but the same transmission(?).

So far so good, but it has only 56k miles. The ATF was changed at 32k or 33k miles.

Dealer technician overfilled it about 1.25 inch above the top mark, and I noticed it only two years later. The ATF was bubbling a bit, but did not degrade. I believe that a standard ATF would degrade.
    As promised, I went to my Pontiac Buick Dealer this morning and indeed it was the Intermediate Steering Shaft that was causing the noise. They didn't replace the part but lubricated it with grease. I explained that others with these vehicles eventually experienced the same problem again and the procedure had to be done all over again. The dealership explained this is how GM tells them to "fix" the problem. From what I could read between the lines, GM doesn't know how to correct the problem in the first place and the only "fix" they can come up with is applying grease to the shaft. Kind of makes you wonder huh?
  • aamixyaamixy Member Posts: 69
    I test-drove a Lacrosse but had a feeling that it is hesitant to take off or back out of the parking lot.
    That's is to say, it is not very responsive to the gas pedal. I hit the gas pedal and feel it takes a while to move, although it is very short, I can still feel it. This is the similar feeling as in the old Volvo S70 or '07 Passat. But Chevy Impala and many other midsize sedans including Fusion, Aura, Altima, Camry, Mazda and Honda are not like that. Is Buick intentionally designed to be like this? I have been seriously considering a Lacrosse but this 'problem' might make me walk away from it. Thanks for any inputs!
    Not a problem with my '05 LaCrosse CXS...instantly responsive to the pedal. FYI
  • hitman1970hitman1970 Member Posts: 33
    I do not feel any responsiveness issues at low speeds either in my 2006 CXS. Although I do agree with some of the reviewers about the need for a deep deliberate accelerator increase to get the vehicle to use all the 3.6L has to offer. You will definitely feel a short hesistation before it takes off and throws you back at highway speeds. The CXS drives very well at high speeds.
    Do the those two engines in CXL and CXS make this difference? I usually don't hit the pedal hard and
    that's probably why. I test-drove a Lacrosse CXL today
    and got the same feeling. I probably should have tried
    a CXS.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    Makes a big difference. The CX/CXL are tuned for the driver who wants comfort and controllability. The CXS is for someone who wants more performance. The CXS tip in should be quick and fast while the the other one a little more sedate so there are no surprises as you put down the pedal. Car takes off smooth and controllable.
    No wonder!! I wish the CXS's engine and suspension were available on the CX and CXL models. Or if Olds Intrigue was still alive, I would just go with it...
    The CXS is a CXL with a 3.6/dual exhaust/17" wheels.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    I just read the article in Edmund's Firing Line that the 2007 LaCrosse only scored one out of five stars in the side impact test even with the side airbags installed. The article goes on to state that the factory began installing extra padding in January. I wonder if GM will be able to install the padding in the cars already in the field?
    NHTSA's site safercar.gov reports following LaCrosse results:
    Front Side Rollover
    2005 5/5 3/3 4
    2006 5/5 unrated 4
    2007 5/5 1/3 4

Makes on wonder why the different results arose in the 2005 and 2007 models and why NHTSA didn't do side tests on 2006 model. Also would like to know if GM changed the design specs for the sides of the passenger compartment of the LaCrosse between 2005 and 2007.
    I do not know why they tested for '06. Nothing changed in the car.

However for '07 they added side air bags to the seats (not available before) so they had to retest. Testing is awful unpredictable and strange results can happen. They added seat mounted airbags (on top of the already standard curtain air bags) and the rating went from 3 to 1. The tests are not exactly exact or real world!! GM tested with the same procedures and did not have a problem.

To get back to a 3 they made a minor change to the door trim. Nothing really wrong with all those '07's w/ airbags. Just did not do well on the one test. Tehse test are often not that repeatable.
    So I guess we should take these NHTSA test results with much the same grain of salt that we ought to re the EPA fuel efficiency test results.

Interesting to note that the NHTSA side crash test results for the 2006 Impala were better than the LaCrosse results with 5/4 for front and rear passenger areas. Yet both vehicles use the same body-in-white structure and are built at the same GM plant in Oshawa.
    I would not take as worthless. Just that they test one type of incident and give an indication of how they do.

the Impala was brought out a cuople years after the LaCrosse and even though on the same architecture changes could be made to the body to increase the stars on the test.
    This will just add to the detracters of this great vehicle. Do not understand how everyone can complement the current Impala but bash this vehicle. This is practically an Impala with better interior, exterior styling, and quieter ride. What gives? Unless I am wrong I have always seen Buick as a nicer Chevy and that is what the LaCrosse is.
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Member Posts: 197
    I just found out from my local Buick dealer that the 2008 LaCrosse Super will be getting the 5.3 liter engine plus a heavy duty trans and suspension to handle the 303 ponies:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/FVDP/Preview/styleId=100704034

Since I own a '99 Regal GS, and love performance cars, this is great news for me and I'm sure other enthusiasts as well.
    Will be getting my CXS' windows tinted next week. In addition, will be adding some aftermarket port vents. I think Buick missed the boat in adding them to the LaCrosse to bring it in line with the Lucerne and future Enclave appearance style. :shades:
    I think Buick missed the boat in adding them to the LaCrosse to bring it in line with the Lucerne and future Enclave appearance style.

I think they are coming.
  • rhinncrhinnc Member Posts: 66
    My wife just bought a new LaCrosse. It has almost every option available.

One thing we miss from our 2000 Regal GS are the electrolumincent mirrors.

I understand it is not available on the drivers outside mirror, but it is a option for the inside rearview mirror.

Dealer says he will install for $200.00 USD. Vehicle also has On-Star in the mirror. Is this a good price?

Thanks for any input.
    I'm happy for your wife, but if she bought a CXS with its 240 hp engine, I think she might end up second guessing herself for not waiting for the Super LaCrosse to go on sale this August. As you know, it will have the 5.3 LS4 V8 with 300 horses, 323 foot-pounds of torque, and active fuel management. I also think she'll miss more than the special mirrors on the GS. I think she'll miss the 280 foot-pounds of torque, but not miss having to buy premium fuel for it. Here's a link to the Super, if you're interested:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/AutoshowArticles/articleId=106457
    Premium is not required for the Super. Run fine w/o it and still get almost 27 mpg.
  • dell46dell46 Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2005 LaCrosse CX with a driver information center, when I select the instant fuel ecomy setting the reading is very erratic. It can range from 15 to 70 mpg while traveling at a steady 30 mph. There is a bulletin out to fix this by doing a recalibration. I am wondering if anyone else has been having this problem and if they have done the recalibration procedure and has it helped? The service bulletin number is 050849022
    I have an '05 CXS with the 3.6l engine. Am wondering if you were using cruise control to maintain a steady 30 mph speed and whether it was on urban streets with the usual stop and go pattern or highways that were straight away or hilly, with curves and varying winds. To understand this better, it would help to know what were the typical driving conditions on which you based these observations. I would expect some significant swings in the instant mpg readings due to acceleration and deceleration initiated by the cruise control system so as to hold the constant speed goal. In this context, what is an erratic vs normal excursion in the mpg readout becomes an interesting question.

I have tried the other mode of driving on the highway to a constant instant mpg reading with cruise control off. I find this can be a satisfying way to go if fuel economy is one's first priority.
  • dell46dell46 Member Posts: 18
    I have tried this with the cruise control on driving on a level road. I was wondering about this recaliburation thing. The car runs fine otherwise and I hate to have them recalibrate my computer and cause more trouble than just an erratic reading on my DIC. Sometimes these machines that calibrate the computer at the factory are more precise than the unit that the dealer uses. While I was at the dealership waiting for an oil change they were trying to calibrate the computer on a Pontiac Grand Prix and after replacing two chips they still couldn't get it calibrated right. Some times the old theory if it isn't broke don't fix is the one to follow.
  • kmausskmauss Member Posts: 72
    Hello there! In looking for a "gently used" car that I really like, one of my top contenders at this point is a LaCrosse CXS. I drove one new on the dealer lot, fell in love with it, but for various and sundry reasons, my next car is going to have to be slightly broken in. So I would very much love to hear from people who have a CXS and have owned one for a little while. How have they been on reliability, gas mileage, comfort, etc, etc? Have you had them back for a lot of picky little issues? Does the engine stay as sweet as the 'test drive?' Many thanks for your thoughts and insights. Karen
    Per JD power the LaCrosse is better than Camry/Accord for quality. Very Comfortable vehicle. The CXS is a very comfortable yet nice handling vehicle. Great car. Good luck
  • ebaynm4u2ebaynm4u2 Member Posts: 3
    My only problem with the lacrosse is the ABS unit. I've had it into buick twice now for a "groan" the car does almost as soon as its moving after being started. It only does it once. But every time I restart it and go on my way it does it again. They claim that the noise is normal.

I'm waiting for them to get in another 2005 and I'll test drive it. If that one does it well then maybe its something I'll have to get used to otherwise they need to fix mine. In the meantime I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing?

Buick read their computer the first time and replaced the brake pads in the front and called it good. I took it back the second time and had them go with me so I could make sure they heard the noise. This time they replaced ceramic bushings holding the ABS to the drivers strut thingy. Still didn't fix it. I took it to my mechanic and dangerous as it may sound he opened the hood climbed in. He held the ABS and something else he thought might be the problem. I proceeded about 20 feet till it made the noise and his diagnoses was that the ABS needed to be replaced. He could not only hear the "groan" but could feel it happen.

Buick's comeback was that it's the ABS conducting a test cycle and that some units are noisier that others. Basically telling me to live with it.

Other than that the car rides well, gets good comparitive mileage (25 combo highway/city)and responds well. Other things I don't like is that the car seems noisy under certain road conditions, especially when water puddles splash up into the plastic wheel wells. I'm going to undercoat to solve that one.
    It is just the ABS system and is normal. The valves make a little noise when initiating.
    Thanks for the insight. Much appreciated. :)
    Karen
    Thank you! Yes, I was VERY favorably impressed with the one I test drove.
    Does anyone have comments on the reliability of the GM oil life monitor system. I understand the need to effect oil changes vs kilometers/mileage driven has improved considerably but I am skeptical on the reliability of the motor oil past the 5000 km range. My 2005 CX Allure presently has close to 9000 kms since my last oil change. I'm not sure I trust the oil change light in the dash cluster to come on at the required time.

Has anyone had any negative experience with the oil life monitor system on their Lacrosse/Allure?
    Oil and engines have changed! 7500 miles (12,000 km) is now the recommended oil change interval for normal driving for some manufacturers(except Toyota which is having sludging problems).

Oil monitors work on duty cycle and environmental conditions and are very reliable. I usually get to about 8000 miles but I drive all city now.
    The last time I had my '05 LaCrosse in for service, the dealership refilled with synthetic oil. I seem to recall they recommended I change it after 10K but I could be off by a few thousand. But that brings a question, does the automatic monitoring system recognize synthetic v. regular oil? If it does, that would be spooky !
    no

you would have to find out how much longer synthetic is supposed to last than regular oil. If it is double then hit the reset at 0 and wait till it hits 0 again. Perhaps the oil monitor goes negative? No, it does not.
    I just got back from my local Buick dealership. As of today, they're taking orders for the 2008 LaX Super. Unfortunately, only four exterior and two interior colors are available. A sales rep showed me a price sheet on the '07 CXS' optional equipment and another one showing the '08 Super's standard equipment. What was previously optional on the LaX CXS is now standard on the '08 Super. I added up the CXS' options and came up with ~$2600. I found out the MSRP of a bare-bones CXS is about $27,000 and the rumored MSRP of a Super is about $29,500. The price difference between the bare-bones '07 LaX CXS and the '08 LaX Super is about equal to the total price of the optional equipment for the '07 CXS. I think that makes the 2008 LaCrosse Super a better overall choice for me than the 2007 LaX CXS.
    Unfortunately, only four exterior and two interior colors are available.

this is very typical of Buick "special" packages put out in the last few years. The LSE/GSE (Regal models with special content and discount) had the same number of choices. The Century "2000" and later special models and the LeSabre special models were the same way.

These are the colors the Buick guys think will be the highest sellers anyway. Let me guess: tint coat red, black, blue and white?
    [Q]These are the colors the Buick guys think will be the highest sellers anyway. Let me guess: tint coat red, black, blue and white?[UQ]

My sales rep said the same thing. They're guessing the most popular colors. BTW, the exterior colors are: Black Onyx, Platinum Metallic, Dark Mocha Metallic, and Red Jewel Tintcoat. The interior colors are: Cocoa and Titanium.

Also, my wife's car, a 2000 Regal GSE, is Bordeaux Red Pearl. And you're right. In 2000 they only offered four other exterior colors for the GSE.
    They are not necessarily the highest sellers on all LaCrosses, only the ones that they figure will be the highest sellers on the special/sporty model.

I thought Blue was coming back as the trendy color? So Black, silver, brown and red? The Mocha probably looks great with the new Cocoa interior.
    I took delivery of my 2008 Allure CXL August 2, 2007, gold mist with cocoa/light neutral interior. The new grill is a great improvement to the exterior. Fit and finish is excellent. There is only a slight improvement in drive ability over my 2005, mainly in the operation of the gas petal.
    Gord. Toronto
This discussion has been closed.