Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    Service advisor blamed me for following Oil Life System instead 3000 miles schedule!?!

Do not listen to him. Changing oil at 3000 miles is a waste of your money and oil. Remember the dealers are independent from the OEM (GM in this case) and want the service dollars.

Now, not sure why you have low oil but oil life system has nothing to do with oil level. The oil that is left is perfectly good for another 3000 miles or so (oil life said 55%). Need to figure out why oil was low. Could have been as simple as there was not enough oil put in at last change to something mechanical.

Bottom line is you got it in under warranty and do not le the dealer blame the not changing of oil as a reason for not fixing it.
  • lacrossesoakedlacrossesoaked Member Posts: 87
    I have a 2005 LaCrosse CXS and I have noticed the same whinning sound. I have been ignoring it. Did you discover the source/problem?
  • neshapopneshapop Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for your reply,

That's exactly what I told them (I followed GM recommended oil care with OLS), they topped up oil level and now less than 1000 miles later is 3/8 above minimum level already. There is no signs of oil under the car, not a single drop. It is just burning oil...I used to add a quart between oil changes (6K) until the last one. Now it seems quite serious.
    Yep, sounds like you need to get it fixed.
  • dcs67dcs67 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2007 LaCrosse which has a standing idle of around 750 RPM. However, after accelerating over 25 mph, when I back off the accelerator, the engine returns to idle at about 1000 rpm. When I complained to the dealer, he said there is nothing wrong and that the idle settings are set at the factory. We test drove a different LaCrosse and after accelerating it returned to idle at 750 rpm so this is an issue peculiar to my car. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. Also, my guess is that there must be some sort of idle control chip that regulates the idle which Buick should be able to replace. The dealer said that it cannot be done. Does anyone know if it is possible and how difficult it would be to replace whatever computer component regulates idle? I feel as if Buick is discounting my concerns over what to me is a safety issue since the increased idle is unexpected and requires additional braking pressure.

Thanks.
    Not as simple as a chip. It is all computerized and I doubt if you have something wrong with the software. Most likely one of the sensors is inaccurate or something mechanical is hanging up.

To be honest 750 vs. 1000 idle sure is not much. Amazed it was noticable.

Anyway the dealerships are independent from Buick. Go to another dealer.
  • kairnskairns Member Posts: 8
    Yes...the whinning sound was due to my power steering resevoir being low on fluid. I was told this is a standard problem on most GM front wheel drive products. The seals start to "weep" slowly and due to the placement of the PS resevoir, not too many people tend to check the fluid level. It's not topped up and the whinning sound has disappeared.
    OK, I will check the fluid level and for the sake of other forum users, I will post what I find out. Thanks very much !
  • hitman1970hitman1970 Member Posts: 33
    I had this slight whirring sound on accleration in my 2006 CXS. When I check my power steering level with a hot engine, the fluid was just at the minimum level. The owner's manual states that it should be at Max with a hot engine and at Min with a cold engine. I added Power Steering Fluid and the sound went away. Thanks for the advice.
    When I checked the power steering fluid level, it was low. I brought it up to the correct level and the problem went away. That was six weeks ago.

This week, I took the vehicle in for normal service; asked them to check around the power steering for leaks; none found and the fluid level was still correct.
  • tommertommer Member Posts: 7
    anyone having trouble with the gas guage?
  • dell46dell46 Member Posts: 18
    Does anyone know how to go about replacing the cabin air filter on a 2005 Buick LaCrosse. I had a 99 Buick Regal and the owners manual gave the complete procedure but I can't seem to find any info in my current manual.
    found this link for replacement instructions: let me know if it works. thanks
    http://www.micronair.us/General+Motors/141
  • dell46dell46 Member Posts: 18
    Looks like the instructions I had for my 1999 Regal I will give it a try Thanks
  • kplacerkplacer Member Posts: 97
    This forum seems dead, but I thought I would post anyway. Bought a new 2009 CXL at the end of July, and the deal I got meant it was less expensive than a base 4-banger Camry or Accord. Quicksilver metallic, chrome alloys, titanium leather. Really a very nice car. I have never had a vehicle that was so smooth riding and so incredibly quiet. Build quality seems excellent -- doors sound like a bank vault when closing. Seats are great too and I really like the interior design. Hopefully my initial good impressions will continue over time.
  • buickdawgbuickdawg Member Posts: 8
    Just got a rather plain CX...However, it is a very nice car!! Mine has the red jewel tintcoat color and is quite attractive! However, I'm NOT wild about the mouse fur seats!! All in all I am pleased with the car and have NOT had one problem thus far....Gas mileage could be a little better...Maybe I'd be happier if I waited for the new 2010?? NO WAY could I have gotten a 2010 for what I paid for this!!
    Good to know. Our '05 LaCrosse is still in great working order. Initially we had to deal with a cabin water leak (under warranty) but having resolved that, clear sailing since then. It is quiet and comfortable (leather seats are great). We have taken long trips in it and have never felt cramped. However, gas mileage does need to be improved or we probably will not purchase another (newer) one.
    Gas mileage isn't great, true. But I wonder if I could go back to a lesser car now. The quiet, smoothness and luxury feel of the Buick may have spoiled me. I have never had a car that was so quiet and smooth. Like GM's Harley Earl once said, "getting into your car should be like taking a little vacation...", and that's how I feel about this. I can't imagine getting into a car now with a 4-banger or an econobox of any sort. I better start saving now for my next luxo-boat... ;)
  • dbrad98dbrad98 Member Posts: 1
    I have had this problem for 5 or 6 months now.
    The service the ABS light and Traction control light come on intermittently.
    One GM dealership said the the tire pressure was low and that was the cause of the problem.
    I was not satisfied with that answer, so I took the car in to another GM dealer. The dealer replace the speed sensor control. The problem stopped for awhile but it is now back.

Also the front brakes "grab" and "grind" intermittenly. The dealers also say that the brakes are in good shape.

any ideas what causes this or who can successfully trouble shoot the problem.

Thanks
  • bekins2bekins2 Member Posts: 29
    I just bought a 2005 Lacrosse CXS with 40,000 form a GM dealer.It is GM certified and came with a 12/12000 GM warranty.Any problems i should look out for? Carfax said 1 owner and all maintaince was done at GM dealer.Also The f7i guy told me when the 12/12000 is close to ending call him and he will sell a GM extended warr for 200.00 over cost, as compared to usally tryin for 1000.00 over cost.The GM is a friend odf a friend, what do u guys think.I know NOTHING about cars and warranties.My son in law handeled the deal for me.Thanks for any info Guys and Ladies Al
    The dealer also put new tires on the car and has free tires,oil changes,and car washes for life.You bring the car in after 5,000 they charge 59.00 for the rotation and inspection for these FREE items,after 10,000 its 79.00, for the FREE then back to 59.00 and so on..Is this worth it.I had a mild sroke about a year ago and am not the sharpest knive in the drawer anymore (if i ever was!) so any advice would help greatly and a plan to keep the CXS for a long time.Thanks again folks!! Al
    In my humble opinion: in the car dealership world, nothing is FREE. They are going to make money off of us one way or the other. They are a for-profit business.
    It may be an educational exercise for you to start a spreadsheet for out-of-pocket expenses you pay for the various services/repairs etc.
    As for buying the extended warranties: they ain't cheap, even if you pay "just" $200 over the base price. Warranties are insurance policies whereby you pay up front for anything which MAY go wrong with the vehicle. If nothing goes wrong, you lose the bet. IF you are in the financial position to "self insure", you may want to consider this option instead of buying another warranty. Self insure: you have a couple of thousand to spend on repairs without it creating a hardship.
    We really like our 2005 LaCrosse CXS. We have taken it on several very long trips and it is a comfortable ride. Initially, we had to deal with a nasty water leak which soaked the passenger side flooring but after we (FINALLY) got that fixed, it has been clear sailing since then.
  • bbb75bbb75 Member Posts: 2
    I had what sounds like the exact same symptoms on my 2002 Grand Prix. Turned out that some sort of wiring harness to the right front wheel ABS/TC equipment needed to be replaced. Besides the warning lights coming on intermittently, it turned out that the ABS was activating periodically, causing the "grab" and "grind" that you mention, generally when I braked and turned the steering wheel at the same time. Since the dealer (kudos to them) diagnosed the problem, and replaced the harness, the problem has disappeared. It could be that this is your problem also.
    i have a 2005 cxs and the speedo,tach etc dont have enough brightness comparded to the heater butoon lights.I bring the knob up to the almost turning on the dome,but still not bright, anyway to remedy this the dealer says its normal.Yet my brightest setting is like the lowest setting i had on my 06 Impala,thanks for any help. Al
    I'll check mine out and let you know but I don't recall having a problem with lack of brightness.
    Just checked mine and they appear to OK as to brightness although I do have the brightness knob turned to the max position. Assuming your adjuster is the same as mine: you need to pop-out the smaller button inside the larger button (control) which is located to the far left of the steering wheel. Then you adjust the brightness by turning the smaller knob all the way to the right (clockwise). Then push this smaller button back in to lock the setting.
    I wonder if the sensor on top of the dash is either defective or blocked? That controls the automatic day/night brightness setting for the dash lights. Mine are plenty bright so it isn't a broadly-based problem.

Still loving my 2009. Nicest car I've ever owned.
  • bbb75bbb75 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have accurate information as to how many 2008 and 2009 Buick LaCrosse Supers were produced? Thanks!
    Anybody know if these 48.00 air filters really help perform and mpg? A friend told me they work great for a 3.6 like i have on my 05 LaCrosse any help? Thanks
    I know it has been quite some time since your posting but: were you ever able to fix the problem of a rattle from the center air vent? I have a '05 LaCrosse also and have the same problem. Thanks.
    I have an '05 LaCrosse. In the last year or so after the car is warmed up, when I turn the steering wheel a squeaking noise is heard; not loud but audible just the same. It's sounds like dry metal moving against rubber. Is there someplace I should apply some lubricant? Thanks!
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Member Posts: 1,380
    From reading through the Buick LaCrosse and Malibu forums, it sounds like you've been bitten by what seems to be by now "infamous GM intermediate shaft problem". Malibus, 03 and up. This part has been redesigned recently and I'd say go to dealer. Make sure you get the new one. I'm not certain that the new one is perfect though.
    I just got back from an long road trip and my '09 LaCrosse CXL was just wonderful on the highway. That is really its best environment and it handles it with great comfort, quiet and stability. Even the gas mileage is pretty good on the highway, unlike around town where it really does guzzle a lot of fuel. Good car on the open road. I'd love to take this car on an extended vacation sometime.
    This is not quite as long as your initial follow-up but still very late. However, the only thing that had been bothering me about my '09 was a plasticky rattle that my ear was telling me was coming from the underside of the dash, possibly right-center. I had also found that it only happened when the heater controls were directing air to the dash vents, as the sound disappeared when it was set to floor-only. I feared a problem with the heater box air distribution mechanism under the dash, something that would be very dicey to ask a dealer to fix properly.

Last week I discovered the issue and that I had been fooled by the location. The center dash air vents each have a roller wheel that controls whether or not the vents are sending full velocity of air to the passengers, are closed entirely, or somewhere in between. The roller wheel controls go to the top to open the vents entirely, but there is a detent and if you push it thru that they lock into the full open position. Mine was at the detent but had not been pushed past it. For some reason that was the cause of the rattle. I could roll the wheel down slightly and the rattle would disappear, or push it past the detent into the full-open locked position and also lose the rattle. It was just that one spot where it rattled. I felt both relieved and a bit silly to think that I had feared this rattle would drive me nuts for years. Hope this helps.
    Thank you for the info!! My wife is on a road trip with the car. I am going to call her and have her try your suggestions. In the past, I have tried messing with the vent postions but it did not seem to have an effect. However, the "detent" aspect may provide some relief if only in the locked position.
  • edoggy777edoggy777 Member Posts: 5
    I have a fully loaded CXS and I'm getting an occasional humming sound from the steering system. It almost sounds like its low on fluid (which its not). Usually happens when i'm parking or maneuvering at very slow speeds. Just wondering if anyone had a similar experience. Love the car and everything else is working great.
    The car is back home now and my wife advises she fixed the rattle/buzz near the vent to the left of the steering column and when she fixed that, the rattle/buzz in the center vents disappeared also (sound transfer?). Her solution was to insert a large silver paper clip length-wise between the silver trim strip and dash---very close to the vent located left of the steering column. No noise for the 1300 miles she traveled after she inserted the paper clip. The clip fits flush with the trim strip, barely noticeable.
    I'm glad the noise is gone! I think there may be some issues with that dash design. Last Friday someone got into the passenger seat and rode with me for a short time. After they departed I heard a small but annoying rattle somewhere on that side. I got in, couldn't find it, so resorted to just thumping with my hand all the surfaces he could have disturbed. Whatever it was, it fixed it as the rattle went away.
    I suspect you are correct: design issues with the dash which create these noises. I have read of similar problems on other websites. Something akin to not having the proper fasteners or spacers or washers whereby after a while, something becomes a little loose and the vibrations begin. Then, by us owners resorting to paper clips and hand-thumping, we are able to re-seat whatever it was which was loose. However, I expect our fixes are not permanent. I will make sure I have several paper clips and a rubber mallet in the trunk.
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Member Posts: 2,770
    "......After they departed I heard a small but annoying rattle somewhere on that side. I got in, couldn't find it,"

Sometimes, in a situation like that, it could be as simple as the person getting out and the metal latch on the seat belt resting up against some plastic trim. You got in, and just by brushing up against the seat belt moved it, and no more rattle.
  • bart55bart55 Member Posts: 1
    I'm occasionally getting the same sound from the steering at slow speeds, mostly when maneuvering in a parking lot. The dealership can't duplicate it, so they say they can't fix it. My son is a Lexus technician. He drove it and made it happen 3 times in about 5 minutes, but then neither of us could duplicate it again.
    Hi Bart,

I have an answer for you. I was able to duplicate it with my dealer. Apparently GM/Buick is aware of the problem but does not have a solution just yet. Ask your dealer to look up #PI0172 (thats a zero). When I took my LaCrosse in they added more power steering fluid (above the full line). It helped reduce the instances of the noise. The way I was able to duplicate it was making a sharp left turn then with a sudden stop, putting the car in revers and turning the steering wheel to the right. I know its a little confusing but it worked for me. Additionally, there is a Document ID with the notice: 2498553. They should be able to look that up. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
  • tom2246tom2246 Member Posts: 29
    This is a known problem on the car with magnetic steering assist. Your dealer should check it out but basically they won't do anything till they have it figured - which they probably do and are trying to find the cheapest solution.
    Check my posts. Several others have the same issue. :mad:
  • alice23alice23 Member Posts: 3
    had the same issue but the dealership was able to reroute the line to the steering. Worked great no more noise in steering. Problem I now am experiencing with noise is rear squeaking in suspension going over bumps or making turns. Dealership is saying its normal body noise on this model. Which really has me angry considering what this car cost it should not have these phantom noises. Anyone else experiencing same thing? :shades:
    Or something loose in glovebox, side pocket, etc.
  • tom2246tom2246 Member Posts: 29
    I lost track of this thread and just got that your dealer "fixed" the issue? Who is your dealer?
    There are 2 issues with the steering; the one you described and the one where that fix doesn't work. Both issues are descrbed in GM's technical write-up.

Please post the dearlers name so I can check myself.
    Somewhere I previously posted about the possibility of a small amount of air trapped in the system. If they had to disconnect the hose to re-route and did the proper procedure afterwards, it might have been air all along. And for those not finding this a cure, maybe they are not doing the cycling of the system.

That is to raise front end and slowly turn steering from limit to limit several times, engine running.
    Hi Alice, I posted this a few weeks ago for another owner who was having the same steering whine/squawk:

"I have an answer for you. I was able to duplicate it with my dealer. Apparently GM/Buick is aware of the problem but does not have a solution just yet. Ask your dealer to look up #PI0172 (thats a zero). When I took my LaCrosse in they added more power steering fluid (above the full line). It helped reduce the instances of the noise. The way I was able to duplicate it was making a sharp left turn then with a sudden stop, putting the car in revers and turning the steering wheel to the right. I know its a little confusing but it worked for me. Additionally, there is a Document ID with the notice: 2498553. They should be able to look that up. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!"

My dealer is Thorson Buick -GMC in Pasadena CA. I also contacted Buick Customer service. They too are aware of the problem and gave me the same line that the "Buick engineers are diligently working on the problem." Good Luck!
  • skooter2skooter2 Member Posts: 2
    Until yesterday,I've been a happy LaCrosse owner looking forward to only one more year of car payments and another 5 years of driving without a monthly payment (I usually keep my cars for about 10 years). I've had one annoying, recurring steering wheel problem (the intermediate steering wheel shaft) that sounds similar to the discussion messages about a whining sound with the steering. When I had this issue addressed for the 4th time, the dealer found several other expensive repairs (no longer under warrante). They are: worn front hub bearings ($1100), all tires wearing unevenly that need to be replaced (probably due to the worn hub bearings), and missing wheel center caps (made from plastic vs. metal, and probably came off). The rear brake pads also need to be replaced; however, that is probably normal wear for 41,000 miles. These other issues seem outrageous for a 4 yr. old Buick with 41,000 miles and $5000 remaining in payments. GM only paid for half of the steering wheel shaft replacement when this has been a recurring problem since the car was new. I would like to know if others have had these problems. I will contact GM and want to be armed with further information. Thanks very much. Skooter2
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    The intermediate steering shaft has nothing to do with a whining sound, so forget that.

The center caps are strictly cosmetic. If they have come off, it's because someone didn't put them back on correctly.

Uneven tire wear may be caused by front wheel bearings, but it is unlikely, and that would only affect the front tires anyway. Front tire wear would be caused by worn suspension parts, like ball joints, control arm bushings, that sort of thing. The only way that all 4 tires would be worn would be due to poor alignment and lack of tire rotation. If they are the original tires, they would likely have been worn out at 40,000 miles regardless.

That leaves us with the front wheel bearing issue. They have been known to be a problem on this car and other similar GM chassis, so the question is, what symptoms are you experiencing? If they are worn, do not get the dealer to replace them. Have the work done at an independent garage you trust. The cost will be much less.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

This discussion has been closed.