Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick LaCrosse

libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
edited October 2014 in Buick
I wish Buick had kept the Century name and tossed the Regal but it's just a name, I guess. I think Century sounds great and Regal sounds boring. I hope the interior is at least as good as Ford's current Taurus interior but the new Grand Prix's wasn't so I have low hopes for a quality interior on the new Regal. I hope the styling looks nice and strays away from the current boring theme. I like the LeSabre's styling, so I wouldn't mind a mini LeSabre that looked at least slightly different.

Comments

• a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    I think the current Century and LeSabre are some of the best looking sedans currently available. If they could take care of the interior quality and NVH issues, they would get along just fine keeping a similar styling theme in my opinion.

By the way, I read in AutoWeek today that there is a battle going on in GM product planning as to whether to drop the LeSabre name. My vote: KEEP IT! The car actually has a good reputation! No, it's not going to excite any performance and handling nuts, but that's not the point. The car is supposed to compete with the Toyota Avalon.

-Andrew L
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    You're the first person who likes the current Century's styling I've ever met and one of the few who likes the LeSabre's. I love the LeSabre's and I feel the Century's is satisfactory. I agree the famous name should be kept.
    libertycat-

Yeah, I think Buick has actually taken some steps forward in styling. When you compare the shape of the current LeSabre with the boxy, nondescript model from the late '80s, it's clear which one got the styling effort. I think you'll find few LeSabre fans on Edmunds because it has a kind of bulky, boatlike look to it, whereas most people here like tighter, sportier styling. But hey, I drive a Pontiac Parisienne, so what do I know :-)

-Andrew L
    I tend to like the styling of cars most people don't and dislike styling most people like. For example, I LOVE the current Bonneville, Taurus, Intrepid, Sebring convertible, DC minivans, MPV, and 2004 Sienna's styling. And I dislike the Lexus IS300 and RX300/330, Audi A6/Allroad, and Dodge Durango/Dakota and most people love these cars/trucks styling.
  • jmobyjmoby Member Posts: 1
    to liberty cats previous post about deleting the Regal name and keeping the Century, i have one thing to say.......DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA THE HERTIAGE BEHIND THE REGAL NAME?? NO ITS NOT JUST A NAME!! DOES THE 300HP REGAL GNX OF THE 80'S SOUND BORING..I THINK NOT!
    :)
    on a V6 FWD sedan just like Impala people think.
    I think most people know the turbo Regal as a "Buick Grand National". They probably don't even realize it's the same car as a Regal.

-Andrew L
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    who calls the Grand National a "Regal". yuck.

~alpha
  • danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    I'm currently considering getting a 03 Regal. The car has good reliability record, according to CR. Price attractive + GM rebate would make it a pretty good deal.

If there is anyone here that owns a 2002 or 03, could you discuss pluses and minuses about the car? Likes/dislikes/comfort/ride/dependability/mechanical troubles/equipment level/would you get a new Regal/etc?

Thank you very much!
  • jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    We don't own a 2002 or an 03, but my wife owns a 2000 GSE and I own a 1998 GS. We both love our cars. They have PLENTY of pickup (240+ ponies), and, so far, have been very reliable. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either Regal model (GS or LS). I would highly recommend the GS, if you like acceleration like some musclecars from the 1960s provided. However, used GS models are demanding premium prices. A lot of "bang for the buck" thought by their owners.
  • kdawg79kdawg79 Member Posts: 26
    I don't have a 2002 or 2003 but my mother and I both have 98 GSs. They have both been terrible as far as reliability goes. Power window problems (6 power window motors replaced) oil leaks (5 pan gaskets, one valve cover gasket and one oil pan between the two cars) and problems with the climate control display going out (2 in mine, 1 in Mom's)are the most prevalent but there have been many other issues. I wouldn't have another Regal unless you gave it to me for free with an extended warranty. The extended warranty is the only reason we still have these cars. I would look elsewhere.
  • danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    Thank you very much jpstax and kdawg79 for your prompt responses. You gave me 2 opposing but equally thoughtful and knowledgeable views about the same car.

I'll briefly share with you that I own a Merc. Sable S.W. purchased new in 2000. Between recalls and repairs done under warranty it was back in the shop an average of every 2 to 3 months, without counting scheduled maintenance. About a week ago it developed a whine-like noise transmitted through the steering wheel. The noise is only heard when the wheel is turned to either side. Was checked by a mechanic and no worn parts were found. Rack and pinion steering were lubricated, and this quieted the whining sound somewhat but didn't make it go away entirely. Car is out of warranty. I'm already considering trading it in for something else and Buick came to mind.

I do realize that this topic belongs to another thread. My intention was not to disrupt or intrude, only to seek info and explain my predicament.
  • rthuerckrthuerck Member Posts: 1
    To those who were discussing the big deal between the Century and the Regal name: The Century first came around in 1936, and was actually one of the 3 first Buicks ever actually have a name that wasn't a model number. Buick however has taken the name away and brought it back a million times, but the century, being around since the 30's has far more heritage than the Regal, which has only been around for 30 years (straight) however. So they BOTH have heritage, It's disappointing to see the Century go, but to everyone who just thinks Buick is an old man's car (and since the average Buick buyer is 63, you can't blame them), the Century needs to go. The Regal is probably the sole Buick that gets more buyers under 60 than any other Buick. Buick is going for a younger image.
  • olrdvolrdv Member Posts: 53
    Buick officials have decided to rename the Regal sedan to LaCrosse when an all-new version debuts in model year 2005. GM officials feel the re-engineered and restyled model needs to be marketed as a new model.
    Check out the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for the '66 and '67 Chevy II with the 327-350 hp (L-79) engine. I owned a '66 with that same motor:

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/chevrolet-nova/chevrolet-- - - - - - - - - - nova-history.shtml

As you can see, they are identical to the present day Buick Regal GS (6.5 and 15.0 seconds). So I consider myself fortunate to own a '98 GS. Brings back that feeling from the old days.
  • wsag26wsag26 Member Posts: 124
    I recently read an article that said quote

"GM says it will replace the Regal name with LaCrosse in 2005 when it is redesigned and replaced"

That means that it is final. All the rumors of a different name change or a name keep is a lie. The LaCrosse name really doesn't sound so well, but the concept which was shown at the Detroit Auto Show (I saw it at the South Florida intl. auto show) in about 2000 or 2001 looked great. I thought they were starting production of the vehicle.

Motor Trend Magazine had already confirmed it about a year ago in there future vehicles section and said quote

"Most likely to be the Regal replacement"

or something like it. It is final...
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    The LaCrosse named has been scrapped because of language issues in Quebec (I'd rather not elaborate). In any event, no word yet on an official new name, and it is not known if the late name-change will delay production. Expect more details in January.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    We've got the new name down as official. They're dropping the dated Century and replacing the Regal with the Buick LaCrosse. How will this new sedan compete in the premium market?

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

According to inside reports and Buick reps at the nationwide autoshows, GM has decided to entirely abandon the LaCrosse name for Canada & US in exchange for a single name that will be used in both markets. For now Buick has reverted to calling the Regal’s replacement '385' until a new name for the vehicle is decided upon. The vehicle will still be unveiled at NAIAS '04. GM will more than likely disclose the new name when the car is unveiled.

They won't stick with the Regal name, either. LeSabre, Park Avenue, and Century have also been scrapped for their respective replacements.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    According to verified news reports, just in Canada the car won't be called LaCrosse, since it is a slang term for "loser" in French speaking Quebec.

The LaCrosse will be pretty much the current Grand Prix with Buick trim, I think.
    It doesn't mean "loser". It has a much more inappropriate meaning among the "kids" in Quebec.

This is a Lutz car through-and-through. There are spy pictures of the "385" interior, but they are a bit old and grainy. It looks nothing like the Grand Prix interior. This is the picture (thanks to "thegriffon" and "PeteGMsales"):

• bigunit67bigunit67 Member Posts: 62
    I have seen on a site, gminsidenews.com, where the Lacrosse might be hauling around either a 4.2L V-8 with performance figures somewhat comparable to the Series III 3800 engine in the Grand Prix GTP. However, some of the threads plant the seed that since Bob Lutz envisions the Buick division becoming the "American Lexus" division, it could see a 4.6L V-8 like what found its way into the Pontiac Bonneville for '04. You know that with it not named "Cadillac", it won't go into 300 standard, non-modified HP territory anytime soon.

I too love the Regal name, but can see where they are coming from in changing it. Buick has to reinvent itself or face extinction, and if you're a corporate big-wig, what is one easy way to do it if you're rolling out new models...change their names!!! I'm at the age (30's) where I care more about the car than what some focus group decided sounds cool. But, with advertisers worrying so much about attracting ever-younger drivers, we'd all better get used to the classic nameplates being phased out and then reappearing whenever convenient for the mother company (see Pontiac GTO for reasoning behind that stmt).
    "Better get used to classic names being phased out"

Car companies, especially GM, have been changing names of models forever. Look at how Buick renamed all their cars in 1959. And the countless names for Buick's forgotten compacts: Special, Apollo, Skyhawk, Somerset.

The less family friendly meaning for 'LaCrosse' is true, but it is also used for loser.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    if that interior ends up in a buick I'd be back to GM in a big way. well, need OHC too.

In other words....VERY NICE.......
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Well, guess I'll be changing the discussion title again when they finally decide on a name!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

What about the BENGAL, named after Tiger Woods? After all, Buick uses the man in practically every ad, poster, and commercial they make. Unless Tiger would want a small fortune to allow it.
    The Bengal was a 2 seater and if a new one wasn't, the auto media would howl!
    Pardon my ignorance, but where did you see (or hear) that? Did Buick really have a car they called the Bengal? Anyway, why would the media howl? I think naming a car the Bengal isn't that much different than when Pontiac borrowed the name GTO from Ferrari for their muscle car.
    Man, where you been? The Bengal was a big deal at the Detroit Auto Show and voted best concept by Automobile Magazine. If it is not a 2 seater, they'd howl.

And yes, some purists were upset about the 64 GTO, but they were drowned out.
  • orwoodyorwoody Member Posts: 269
    here is Buick's website post

http://www.buick.com/inside/concept/bengal/
    The Bengal might be built off Kappa (same as Solstice). We shall see.

An update on the "385" name. Don't be surprised if it's Buick Allure.
    How about Invicta? (Not really, it's one car name I always thought was weird sounding.)
  • killfortkillfort Member Posts: 6
    As in Oldsmobile Intrigue... GM tried that kind of naming convention before with the "Intrigue." They should think carefully about using Allure and how they are going to market something exciting. Get into an "Intrigue," it's intriguing.. get into an "Allure," it's alluring. The key will be marketing and we all know that Oldsmobile died because of how GM marketed the new wave of Oldsmobiles. The product may be awesome, but name and marketing will make the difference.
    Buick Bolero?
    reg-

Buick did a concept car by that name years ago, and the first thing I thought when I saw it was, "I HATE that name. I HATE IT!" No offense, but please don't send Bob Lutz that suggestion :-)

-Andrew L
  • tsxtsx Member Posts: 32
    Recently I was at GM AutoShow for Dealers, had a chance to take a look at new models from GM.

On the Buick side, Seen the Ultra From Rendez-vu and the upcoming Century-Regal replacement midsize car.

GM is changing the brand to attract younger buyers on the Buick side. The New Midsize looks very similar to the Lexus GS300 with a Buick Grill. No Details were given and no one was allowed to come close to the car. Because it is a later-year release model. GM also said the centiem concept will have a huge impact on all it's new models. And the Buick LeSabre replacement will be released to compete directly against the Lexus Brand.
    Does that mean the LeSabre will be RWD? Sigma Mass is probably the platform of choice, anyway. Just for confirmation, is the "385" interior the same as the spy shot I posted?

(this one)
    yes, i know about the bolero concept...i liked the name.
    The new RWD platform is called "Kappa", not Sigma Mass.
    No Kappa is the small one (Pontiac roadster). It is way too small to even put a mid-size sedan on, let alone a full-size. Buick might make the Bengal off Kappa, though. Holden VE = Sigma Mass.
    Prelimary reports would have it that the "385" will still use the 3800. Damnit!

But it will have a nine speaker Monsoon stereo with two subwoofers.
    too bad.........not a real great way to 'emulate lexus'.....
    Buick should stick to going after Toyota, after all they are the "Japanese Buick". Leave Cadillac for the luxo makes.
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    I have read that the 3800 will be standard in the LaCrosse, but the 3.6L DOHC V6 from the CTS and Rendezvous will be optional.
    thankfully.
    Models- CX, CXL, CXS

Stereo-
    ETR AM/FM stereo with CD player, includes seek-and-scan, digital clock, auto-tone control, speed-compensated volume and TheftLock

ETR AM/FM stereo with 6-disc in-dash CD changer, includes (U88) Sound system feature, 9-speakers, Monsoon, seek-and-scan, digital clock, speed-compensated volume and TheftLock

ETR AM/FM stereo with CD/MP3 player, includes (U88) Sound system feature, 9-speakers, Monsoon, seek-and-scan, digital clock, speed-compensated volume and TheftLock

Exterior-
    Chrome Appearance Package, includes front and rear chrome fascia inserts, bodyside molding chrome inserts and chrome door handles

Rear Parking Assist, Ultrasonic, includes rearview LED light bar and audible warning

Regular production accessory, spoiler, rear (SPO-supplied, dealer-installed)

Wheels-
    16" (40.6 cm) steel, with wheel covers
    16" (40.6 cm) aluminum, 8-spoke, painted
    16" (40.6 cm) aluminum, 8-spoke, Chrome-Tek
    17" (43.2 cm) aluminum, 8-spoke, painted, flangeless
    17" (43.2 cm) aluminum, 8-spoke, chrome-plated, flangeless

Engines-
    3.8L 3800 V6 SFI (200 HP [149.2 kW] @ 5200 rpm, 230 lb.-ft. [310.5 N-m] @ 4000 rpm) CX CXL

3.6L VVT DOHC V6 (240 HP [179 kW] @ 6000 rpm, 233 lb.-ft. [314.6 N-m] @ 3600 rpm) CXS

Interior-

Colours Ebony, Light Steel Gray, Taupe, Taupe and Ebony

CX Front buckets Madison/Broadway Cloth
    CXL Front buckets Nuance Sandstone Leather-appointed seats
    CXS Front buckets Nuance Sandstone Leather-appointed seats

Exterior Colours-

Sterling Silver Metallic
    Cashmere Metallic
    Superior Blue Metallic
    White
    Black
    Cardinal Red Metallic
    Glacier Blue Metallic
    Steelmist Metallic

Dimensions-

Wheelbase 110.50 (2807)
    Overall length 198.30 (5037)
    Body width 72.40 (1839)
    Overall height 57.40 (1458)
    Curb weight, lbs. (kg) CX 3516 (1595), CXL 3564 (1617), CXS 3496 (1586)
    Seating capacity, max. (front/rear) CX 2(3 optional)/3, CXL 2(3 optional)/3, CXS 2/3

Bench seats. And optional 2+2. Interesting...
    when does this thing go on sale? I did like the interior shots a lot surprisingly.
    Expect low $20s to low to mid $30s.
    theo-

What's the deal with the Century? I know the Regal will be dropped when the LaCrosse debuts, but I've read conflicting reports about the Century...some say it will be continued (a la Malibu Classic) while others say it, too, will be dropped immediately when the LaCrosse is launched. Which will it be? I'm asking you because you seem to have some inside info about GM cars ;-)

-Andrew L
  • tsxtsx Member Posts: 32
    The Century will be dropped after the 2004 Model Year. The New Midsize LaCrosse will replace both the century and the regal.

This is confirmed information directly from GM.
This discussion has been closed.