Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Chrysler: Now
    Ford: July, summer 2004
    GM: When? When? Come on. When are we getting AWD and/or RWD cars?
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    I bought 6 qts. Mobil 1 @ Advance Auto for about $27(?) and the dealer provided the filter and charged me $17.93.
    So about $45.
    They originally wanted close to $80.

As much as I like the La crosse I just can't go back to FWD again. Too many compromises.

Hope Buick does well with it.
    They do need to price it properly out of the box.
    This instant rebate thing with GM borders on the absurd.
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    Thanks!

The rebate game GM is playing is absurd, sure. They are losing a lot of potential customers - those who do not know the rules of the game, and are filtering out GM cars even before starting shopping seriously.

However, some flexibility in pricing depending on season, etc. is very reasonable. For example, price goes up $1000 in May, returns to normal after July 04, decreases $1000 in October, and another $1000 for leftover after December 15. The current rebates permit the flexibility.

Additionally, the demand for new car designs usually is high. As a rule, for the first for 2-3 months, but sometimes for a whole year or even two. It happened last year with Gran Prix, even while it is rather a modification of the 97-03 model, than a radical redesign. Four years ago GM did not provide any rebate for 2000 Impala. I bought a loaded Regal GS instead, and paid what a loaded Impala LS would cost. Most recently people were buying 300C for $5,000 and even $7,000 above MSRP. Now they are available for $2,000 below MSRP. I expect the same to happen with LaCrosse.

Personally, I think it would be insane to pay premium for the privilege of being guinea pig. However, it is very reasonable for manufacturers and dealers to capitalize on the widespread insanity.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Is it true the 3.6 requires synthetic oil or is this just an owner's preference? If it requires synthetic, I guess the 3.8 just found a new reason to recommend itself!
  • z9z9z9z9z9z9z9z9 Posts: 101
    Thanks for the link big daddy.

Noted so far: OnStar is standard, and can't be deleted except on fleet orders. That sucks.

Maximum torque on the 3.6L VVT is 225@2000 rpm. Not much torque (about 63 ft-lb per liter), but it comes on really, really low.
    thanks for the ordering info.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,175
    I thought Cadillac included free maintenance on their cars?
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    I saw one in person at the autoshow in motion event in Philly and I can say the interior of the car looks very nice. clearly the best looking midsize interior GM has done and definitely on par with the camry and accord. The car they had featured the 16" polished wheels and it was crimson in color. They also had a G6 on display.
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Posts: 518
    You mentioned the 16" wheels...GM picked nice wheels for this car (pics in ordering guide, linked previously in the thread). Even the wheel covers look nice. I'm glad they didn't go with the overdone wheels that were on the auto show version in the winter.

-Andrew L
    I like them on this car too. Unlike some other cars, they're not overdone.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    No, but the warranty is 4yr/50,000 miles.
    2 oil changes with Mobil 1 are about $90 so the synthetic really doesn't cost that much more.
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Posts: 536
    According to Mr. Lutz at the unveiling ceremony (see video on Lacrosse site), 90% of max torque (225 ft-lbs) is available from 1600 rpm all the way up to 6000 rpm. Very flat indeed.
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Posts: 536
    GM only certifies discrete engine/transmission combinations. It's possible the transmission is the limiting factor that diminishes the potential of the 3.6 engine as compared to the rear-drive CTS. As always, the proof will be in the test drive...
  • austinman7austinman7 Posts: 313
    Hello,

I'm a former Regal (1996) owner interested in this next generation Buick.

Looking at the specs on the link provided by bigdaddy, I didn't see any mention of sunroofs. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place. I'm not a big fan of these, and would prefer a model without a sunroof.

Also -- a weak point on the interior of my old Regal was rear seat headroom, and I notice a dropoff of more than two inches from front to rear headroom in the LaCrosse. Has anyone sat in one of these to check headroom?

Do we have any idea when these will be at our local Buick dealers?

Forgive me if these questions have been answered, and just refer me to earlier posts if you like. I haven't been following this thread closely, but am getting more interested in the car.

Thanks.
  • theo2709theo2709 Posts: 476
    The sunroof is available on all trim levels.
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    did you get a short 10 page brochure or a real one? I got a flimsy one from them a few months back. It was more pictures than info.
  • rerenov8rrerenov8r Posts: 380
    both in appearance and lack of WOW features (I think they should have tried to get cooled & heated seats on the option list, as well as NAVI and maybe Blue Tooth, at least to chase away the "blue hair" crowd)

Hopefully the "in person" viw will be better.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    They chase away the blue hair crowd, they may chase away the only reliable customers that Buick has. Oldsmobile made this mistake. They chased away the old crowd without attracting the new crowd!
  • rerenov8rrerenov8r Posts: 380
    Buick can't afford to chase ANYONE away -- they need something that will make even SLIGHTY younger buyers check out the LaCrosse. I think TECHNOLOGY & INTERIOR FEATURES are one way to do that.

If you look only at exterior style there is little to attract one to Lexus. The "little things" that make a vehicle very comforting/compelling on a day-to-day basis SHOULD be on the Buick 'hot list' of things to add.
  • bporter1bporter1 Posts: 229
    I currently own a 99 Regal GSE, and in a few years will be looking to replace it. The LaCrosse is on my short list of midsize cars. Why is ABS an option and not standard? If I buy a Chevy Cobalt ABS is standard on the LS and LT models, which are still thousands cheaper than a CX LaCrosse will be. It is stuff like that, that makes me think GM and Buick don't care to "get it". Other than this minor deviation, I think the LaCrosse warrants a look see.
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    The same with me.

Comparing 2000 Regal GS vs. 2005 LaCrosse CXS:

- Radio/sound: MP3 will be available at last. The current 6 speakers is OK with me, but 9 will be nice, if not too expensive. Remote control on steering wheel was standard in 2000, will be optional in 2005. Satellite radio: not available in 200, optional for 2005. I do not need it at all.

- Driver information center adds compass in 2005. Nice to have, but would not miss it.

- Airbags: driver side was standard in 2000, will be optional in 2005. Passenger side airbags: were not available in 2000, will be available in 2005. Important safety improvement.

- Auto dimming mirrors, inside and left outside were standard in 2000. In 2005 the inside auto-dimming will be optional, while the driver-side auto-dimming will not be available even as option. Substantial change for the worse in safety department.

- Reading rear light was standard in 2000, will be optional in 2005. However, this is not important at all to me.

- OnStar was optional in 2000, will be bundled in 2005. Delete option not available for this trim. I do not like it so much that rather would remove or disconnect from power, if it is technically possible.

- Personalization through FOB. Radio settings, etc. Standard for 2005, not available for 2000. Nice to have feature. No personalization for driver seat/mirror adjustment, though. Fortunately, my wife and I do not need adjustment, except the inside mirror.

- Remote starting: was not available in 2000 (only aftermarket), optional in 2005. This is a nice feature in our climate.

- Rear parking assist. Not available for 2000 (except aftermarket), optional for 2005. Looks as a nice safety feature.

- Power driver lumbar: standard for 2005. Nice new feature.

- Temperature control on steering wheel optional for 2005. Nice new feature, especially given inconvenient buttons.

- Telescoping steering column. Not available in 2000, standard in 2005. Nice feature.

- Universal transmitter. Aftermarket only in 2000, optional for 2005. Do not need it at all.

- Chrome. For 2005 chrome door handles standard, optional chrome moldings, etc. Do not like it.

- Heated mirrors. Standard for 2000, optional for 2005.

- Wheels (and tires). 16" for 2000, 17" for 2005. I guess, it will improve handling in summer a bit, but worsening comfort and will worsening driveability in snow.

- Exhaust. Single for 2000, dual for 2005. I guess, it will cost $500 or more, and will not influence anything but appearance.

- StabiliTrack. Not available for 2000, optional for 2005. Great safety feature.

- Suspension. Looks like it is more sporty for 2005.

- Noise reducing. Was OK for 2000, looks as even better for 2005.

- Powertrain. 240 hp / 280 lb-ft torque for 2000, 240 hp / 233 ln-ft torque for 2005. Substantially reduced torque, none gain in power, vs. a bit better fuel economy, less expensive gas, and "more refined engine" whatever it means.

- Until year 2000 Regal had a performance shift mode. The nice feature was deleted in 2001, and still is not available in 2005.

In two years our son will turn 16, and we will need a third car. My wife and I were almost sure we will buy a Buick Regal / LaCrosse. We accumulated $2000 on our GM card toward the purchase. However, after learning better, we have very serious doubts concerning LaCrosse. It looks as a used Regal will serve us better.

Currently we have a 2000 Buick Regal GS and 98 Chevrolet Malibu. We are using Malibu mostly in town, like driving our son to school and buying groceries, and I am driving it to work. We are using Regal for most of longer, highway trips, and my wife is driving it to work.

We like our Regal very much. We especially like the power available for passing, and comfortable seats for long cruises. Looks as LaCrosse CXS will not be competitive vs. many modern cars, at least in power department.

The only serious shortcoming of Regal are air vents. Impossible to point airflow on driver's face, and hard to point it away from hands. It makes it somewhat uncomfortable to drive in summer heat, especially on trips longer than 1.5 hours. Need to wear long-sleeve shirt. Hard to be sure, but on pictures it looks as LaCrosse was not improved in this relation.

It is a bit unsafe to manage Regal radio and a/c when driving. A lot of buttons, which looks and feel alike. The driver needs to look on the buttons, not on the road. According to the picture, it will be the same with LaCrosse.
    I wholeheartedly agree with what you mentioned in the above post. Some things that will be available on the LaCrosse are nice but other things that are optional or not available, were standard or optional on the earlier Regal's. Maybe in a couple of years when I will be in the market for a new car, the LaCrosse will be in a better position to compete for my dollars.
    GM did this same decontenting with the Impala. I own a 2000 LS with 164,000+ miles.

Little things like taking off the lit PRNDL indicator and deleting change holders make me wonder what they did to the important stuff I CAN'T see--as in durability.

I am almost certain I shall be buying a Ford Five Hundred when they come out. I sometimes lapse into thinking I might consider a GM product, and the ONLY that even remotely interested me was the LaCrosse.

Thanks, yurakm, for a great post and one that reminded me that I really don't need to be considering it. It will make my life easier and more sedate as I order a Five Hundred or Mercury Montego.

I WANT to drive a GM. I do NOT want their cheap decontenting tricks, or to play the HUGE price, HUGE incentive game any more.

I'm not naive enough to think Ford does not do the same thing (look at the changes they have made in the Vic/GM in recent years), but it doesn't seem to be to the same degree.

And the Avalon (and Lexi) bores me...I loved my old Maxima back in 92, but the new one is not a style I want to be seen in! The Altima would be fine but for its interior. :)
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    What exactly are the feature/dynamic advantages that you feel the Five Hundred will have over the LaCrosse?

~alpha
    We can start with AWD. NOT available on the LaCrosse, but OTOH, the Buick will have stability control available, right?

I also suspect there will be at least a five thousand dollar cost difference in favor of the Ford when comparably equipped.

The Buick is available with a much larger and more powerful engine, the Ford has a much larger back seat and trunk.

And from what I have seen so far, the interior of the Ford is far superior to that of the LaCrosse.

A test drive will confirm (or change) most of this. For the Ford, that will be August 14 for me. For the Buick, I have no idea when.

Lastly, the Ford dealers in my area are FAR superior in both sales and service to the very few Buick dealers hereabouts.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    "I also suspect there will be at least a five thousand dollar cost difference in favor of the Ford when comparably equipped."

What is that based on? Some kind of press release? If so, valid point, if not, well.. it would seem you're making things up.

"And from what I have seen so far, the interior of the Ford is far superior to that of the LaCrosse." Thats only based on pictures, and subject to interpretation; they look similar in materials quality and I prefer the arrangement/design of the LaCrosse.

Personally, I would never buy one car over another based on dealership treatment (Id rather have the car I feel best for my money, regardless), but if Ford's treatment is a plus for you, I can accept that.

~alpha
    I have SEEN, in person, the interior of the Ford Five Hundred. It was far superior to the pictures of the LaCrosse I have seen.

The pricing info is from news articles in the media, including Automotive News. Buick is aiming at Lexus, they say so themselves.

Regardless, pricing for either car has not been publicly released, nor possibly even totally determined....

Also, the service reputations of the Ford vs. Buick dealers in my area are well known. There is at least one reason that Ford far outsells GM in this area. Service is probably near the top of that list.
    As far as decontenting is concerned, the Japanese have been doing it for years, but they don't skimp on safety features. That was my only arguement. If GM wants to be a leader in sales then they have to act like it, and stop putting out product that is just "good enough" and not better than the competition in the first place.