Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DTS

Comments

• eaton53eaton53 Member Posts: 356
    Explain why this car needs AWD?

Being FWD, it won't have issues with the weather as FWD Cadillacs handle snow very well. And it's a luxury car, not a sports sedan.... the STS already performs the role of AWD sports sedan with the best of 'em.

There is a significant market for FWD luxury cars and IMO it's wise of Cadillac not to abandon it. Hopefully in the not too distant future, they will build a Sixteen-like large sedan to slot above the STS.
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    At the $40k level, you bess not have torque steer if you want to be taken seriously as a luxury car worth having. 300HP, over 2 tons of fun, and FWD is no way to go through life, son.

Unless you work at GM.

DrFill
    The FWD Northstar Cadillacs have notably little torque steer. It's not really evident unless you really stomp on it... I've driven many much less powerful FWD that torque steered considerably more than the Caddys do.

At $40K, being FWD isn't a problem. There are quite a few FWD players at that price point. Get much more expensive than that and it does become a problem, which is why Cadillac has already switched its other models.
  • preachpreach Member Posts: 7
    I am very much interested in a awd or front wheel drive car that is dependable has leg room (front and rear)and has curb appeal. That limits me in terms of choices from domestic cars. I don't want to drive a boat on wheels I am use to the European drive. The only caddy that appears to have any of that is the DTS. the problem is this when I add the options that I want the cost rises quickly. I don't want a car that will cost me in the mid fifties and loose a very large part of its resale value in one year. What have you paid for your DTS with nav and CD changer and sun roof.
    "I don't want a car that will cost me in the mid fifties and loose a very large part of its resale value in one year."

Since this is a refresh (not an all-new car) I expect the dealing that occurs on DeVilles to continue after an initial respite. It may sticker in the forties or fifties, but the transaction price should be in the thirties.

I've had a dealership sales manager tell me his biggest margins are in loaded DeVilles (and that includes SUV's), so there's a lot of bargaining room.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    The best deal on a DTS or DHS is to find a year old lease return or trade in. People DO trade in a car each year especially when it is a corporate car. Either that or buy a new Lexus which holds its resale value. Most other luxury cars have a terrible depreciation. A $60k Jag XJ8 is worth about 40 something as soon as you drive it out of the showroom.
    Except that no Lexus meets the FWD/AWD and space requirement.

GM and Ford are about the only games in town when it comes to full size FWD/AWD cars that don't cost a fortune. I'd look for a lightly used DTS or Pontiac Bonneville GTP, which is proving to be quite popular since they de-cladded it, added Northstar power and nice 18" wheels.

There's also the Ford Five Hundred / Mercury Montego, which meet many of the criteria, although reliability is unknown and are considered by many to be blandly styled... although IMO they look good. Obviously they aren't in the same league as the GM cars when it comes to power, but when loaded they're nice cars.
    Followed a Lexus sedan down the street the other day and figured at first that it was one of the mid-size models. I was amazed that it was an LS 430. Next to that uninspiring generic looking car that resembles one of the 2001 Camrys, my '03 Deville looks like a Maybach. Speaking of Cadillacs, I noticed photos of the 2006 Impala on the Chevy website but nothing on the '06 Cadillac on the Cadillac site. The car is just a revision, not totally new. Wonder why all the intrigue?
    In the 2006 DTS? I can't figure out the secrecy and general lack of enthusiasm by Cadillac on what is historically the best seller in the line and the only car (not SUV) that is bigger than mid-sized. Everybody at Cadillac and elsewhere seems only interested in the CTS-V and all the other "V" renditions of sport sedans. Hopefully the Deville (DTS) will survive corporate apathy. I'd hate to have to buy a Lincoln. Again - why the secrecy on the 2006 DTS? It is just a makeover.
    Judging from the inputs into this discussion no one seems interested in the 2006 DTS. Cadillac doesn't seem interested either. The 2006 DTS wasn't at the Detroit Auto Show but lots of 2006 models were. I hope all those Cadillac "V"s are great sellers. Perhaps Cadillac is so sure of sales success that they aren't marketing the DTS.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Caddy, like other manufacturers, likes to stage their product introductions across the various shows (LA, Detroit, Chicago, Geneva, New York). I'm sure the 2006 DTS will appear at one of those. Its platform stablemate, the Buick Lucerne, is supposed to debut in Chicago, I believe, so I'd bet on Geneva (possibly) or New York (more likely).
  • blkcadillacblkcadillac Member Posts: 47
    When the 2005 STS debuted no one really liked it, took some time to get use to. Now just about everyone LOVES it....I think the same will happen for the DTS....I read that will be only one trim level with options...I Dont know of the powertrains of any I'm wondering if it will have that 303hp from the Impala and Monte Carlo SS as its powertrain.

HID lights finally.

I'm wondering if it will only have the bench seating?

Everyone should have now seen the Presidents new ride in the form of the 2006 DTS, so there you go...The new car will be more proportion.

The 2006 DTS will premier at the 2005 Chicago Auto Show...More likely the XLR-V will debut at the Geneva or Frankfurt autoshows.
    I certainly hope that the base model is decently equipped. The present DeVille is a disappointment. A $46,000 car should at least have an RDS capable radio and heated seats as well as memory. Each year something seems to be taken away from standard equipment and put in a package. Problem is that all the ex-rental cars are base models with absolutely nothing extra on them so if you want a bargain car in a year or so you have to get a bargain basement model. I know that I'll never buy another ex-rental car Deville. I'd like to at least have a better radio than I have in my Malibu.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Running Lights be disabled in the new Caddys (or any GM product for that matter)???...nothing bothers me more that, as you look at many GM products on the road, from cars to trucks to Tahoes, they almost always have one DRL out and one where the bulb still works...aside from GM and Toyota, does anyone else insist on those silly DRLs???...and no, I do not care if Canada mandates them, this is the USA...
    Considering that you can't see the running lights from inside the car what's the difference whether they are on or not? I do like the automatic light function -i.e. lights turn on in at dusk or when it is raining, but the DRLs are of no consequence from a driver's standpoint.
    I'm sick of looking at that same "spy" photo in the desert. What is the big secret? This is just a makeover of a 2000 design. Chrysler had photos of the 300 for months before it came out and this was a totally new car. I understand that the DTS will "debut" at the Chicago Auto Show. I'm sure that thousands will line up around the display. I'm more interested in the option packages and standard equipment than I am in a tacked on grill and some different tail lights. I guess the interior is new but it doesn't look much different to me.
  • rsx-sfanrsx-sfan Member Posts: 15
    Didn't anyone see Prez. Bush going around in the new DTS limo? I don't like it. The grille doesn't seem to fit on the car. Assuming that a production DTS would be narrower and of course shorter than a limo I hope to see better. I would just go with the STS and sacrifice the size.
    Nothing on the Chicago Auto Show website about the 2006 DTS but it should be unveiled there. Just saw photos in Autoweek for a possible Lexus sports car. If they do a convertible that even remotely resembles this then Cadillac had better give up on the XLR. I always hoped that Lexus would come up with something that would be really neat. Now they have to take that stodgy 430 sedan and make it look like somethat that will compete with DTS.
  • rsx-sfanrsx-sfan Member Posts: 15
    Well they've really needed something that can be called a sports coupe because the SC 430 might be sporty but it really doesn't look too sporty. That concept should do it for them. As for the XLR I really like it, but it's jus a more expensive Corvette.
    I like the XLR too but it seems silly to manufacture a convertible that has virtually no luggage space when the top is down. This eliminates the car for weekend trips or even commuting to a golf course. If it had a fabric top at least a person would have SOME room. The Solara convertible looks a lot sportier than the SC430. I'm ordering one in the summer - a 2006. If the SC430 didn't look so frumpy, a used one would be a great car. Hopefully Lexus will get its act together in the next few years and put out a decent looking convertible and sedan.
    Look on Cadillacs website and media gm and they say that the DTS will be unveiled there.... Cadillac is doing well the XLR it met and it went beyond sales expectations.
    I can't figure out what it is good for if you can't take a trip in it but that's only my opinion. I'm glad it is successful. It is a great looking car and if it had some luggage space I might have considered a used one in a year or two. I guess the real problem is the metal roof which takes up virtually the whole trunk. Fabric tops give a little and you can at least get a carryon under them.
    Yeah I know there trunk is another issue, however the XLR is not a practical car....Let Neiman Marcus valet, but don't ever try to take home those Xmas fantasy gift because you want even fit yourself in the car. The XLR is flashy but if want extra space get an ESV.

Do you find the info on the DTS @ cadillac or media gm about The Chicago Autoshow....IMO the more I see the new DTS I like it, but the regular production model has too look just a little better.

The press is to have a preview on Feb 9, so be looking around for that, but the actual show does not open to the public until Feb 11
    I haven't seen anything except the limosine or that car in the desert. Perhaps I'm missing a site. The Chicago Auto Show site doesn't mention it.
    The Chicago Auto Show does not really tell about any cars at all. But just visit media gm and go to the Vehicle Media Sites click on Cadillac and click on the DTS limo pic.

Or just go to Cadillac's website and click on DeVille and it gives you info.

"The 2006 Cadillac DTS production model is set to make its first public appearance at the Chicago Auto Show in early February."

Don't worry it's coming.
    So it is here - at least at the auto show and there hasn't been a posting since the end of January. Isn't anyone interested in it at all? It would be nice to knock the subject around a bit.
    Well, I will always be a Cadillac fan, but the front end needs a lower fascia, because it looks too short...

My mom has a 2003 DeVille and I love that car. The 2006 is going in the right direction but the interior is so Buick "like" I cant even begin to describe how much I hate that. And the powertrain of sharing with the Buick is another turn off, though everyone knows that you just can't have that much power in a frontwheel drive car, but GM should have given a 250hp V8 instead of the 275 (opt 291) of the Cadillac because there are extremely too many similarities between the two cars, BUT Toyota does it with Lexus. Look at Corollas interior and the yes the ES300s interior(dash) though its based on the Camry but do it and you'll see the it's almost the same.

But in all I like the DTS but I dont think mom will opt for one maybe a 2005 Limited Ed. DeVille...She wouldn't dare drive a Lincoln.
    I have a 2003 Deville and I fully intend to get a 2006 DTS as soon as one is a year old and lease returns come back to the dealers, I will not get another base model ex-rental car and what I want to find out is exactly what standard equipment comes on the DTS and what option packages are available. Obviously this information should be available soon since there are always people who must have the first one off the assembly line. I think the interior is an improvement over mine, especially since they lowered the dash. I also like the extra inch of front seat legroom in the 2006. There is a huge difference between the Buick and the Cadillac in quietness and riding comfort. They may look the same and share an engine but if you drive one then the other you can tell the difference. One is a Cadillac and the other is just another full size car.
    Guess nobody is interested in discussing this car. I'll see it I assume at the Dallas Auto Show next month. It looks pretty good to me from what I've seen so far. The question I have is what equipment will be standard on it.
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    I think that the reason why nobody is getting all fired up about the DTS is because the rest of the luxury marques have big RWD/AWD sedans taht cost a whole lot more, and the DTS's price slot is filled by more exciting cars like the 5 Series, A6, M35/45, and even the GS. All of them are RWD or AWD. I'm just saying that the price segment for the DTS is what some would call outdated.
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    Nobody's talking about the DTS because it's just a lightly updated Deville. Nothing to get excited about. Cadillac's future is the STS, CTS, and SRX.
  • hummerspechummerspec Member Posts: 3
    You are absolutely right about our future being the CTS and STS, but dont cut out the extremely loyal customer that will and have always owned a deville. You cannot compete with the ride that this car offers. Ask any rear wheel drive vehicle owner in the midwest how this car preformes in the snow. Not nearly as well as the deville. Believe me I know I sell Cadillacs. We are anticipating the redesign, but need to still keep in mind our target demographic.
  • harleyeharleye Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 DTS is my 8th Cadillac. (I am 82. It's old guys like me that keep Cadillac in business.) I was broad sided in a 2002. It should have been totaled but the Ins Co insisted on getting it fixed. After wind noise and rattles, I let a Salesman talk me into a Seville. I only kept it a month because of the lack of room. So I took a $$ beating when I bought the 2003. The only difference from the 2002 was turn signal lights in the outside mirrors? I'm happy with the car although I wish the instrument panel was digital. The digital speedometer helps. My main complaints are picky - I don't like the CD player in the glove box and I would like to have a mute button for the radio. (I have found that I can fake it by pressing the phone button.)

I'll probably buy a 2006 DTS. I've looked at the Lexus 430 but it is dull and doesn't have things I want - like OnStar and cornering lights. Apparently, if you want the Bose music system in the 2006 you have to have the CD changer in the glove box. I don't see why. Cheaper GM models have it in the dash.

I have wanted to try the Night Vision, but the local dealer doesn't want to bother. There are lots of animals on the road at night in the wide open spaces of New Mexico. Has anyone had any experience with it?
    I want the 2006 DTS too but I usually buy a one year old 'Certified" Deville and these are usually base models that are ex-rental cars with no options. My 2003 is one of these and I won't get another. I'd like to find out what the standard equipment is on the DTS. I'll probably wait for a corporate lease return this time. My 2003 is a real pleasure to drive. The only problem has been wind noise from the right rear door. The dealer has ordered new door weatherstripping. I too live in NM (Clovis) and do a lot of night driving. I'd like to see those brighter headlights on the '06. I don't really want night vision because it may be a distraction. I've driven quite a bit in a friend's CTS in the Dallas Metroplex and frankly I think that my '01 Malibu rides better. Everybody seems to love the CTS but the Deville seems to be the best seller. I find it hard to associate the CTS with the word "Cadillac".
    Does anyone have a list of what is standard in this car and what is contained in the various option packages? Has Cadillac added anything standard to the base model that wasn't there in 2005?
  • joegodjoegod Member Posts: 13
    Will the 06 DTS be a front wheel drive ??
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Yes, 2006 and presumably at least 2-3 following model years will be FWD.
  • martynmmartynm Member Posts: 1
    I own a 70 Eldorado and a 2003 CTS. I love the sharp edges in both designs! I miss them in the Deville and Fleetwood line. Both look kinda outdated to me. It would've been more logical to see those sharp edges back in the DTS and Fleetwood as well.
    Must say the new design Cadillac came up with since 2002 with the CTS appeals to a younger audience than the old series. Those were litterary old series, as they seemed to appeal only to 55+people. Since the sharp edges and details faded in the 70's I lost my love for the 'new' Cadillac. But since this new style I love the new Cadillac again!
    I hope I may concider myself in the young audience being 30. And I love the CTS I just acquired! It looks sporty and comfortable and it handles like that too. It turns heads here in Europe, so Cadillac did a good job! I hope Cadillac will update the Deville and Fleetwood style as well, as the current design will never compete against the smarter looking 7 series BMW, S series Mercedes and more luxuary looking British designs (in Europe).
    On Cadillac's web site on the All Vehicles tab they are showing More pics' and info on the 2006 DTS.

1. Go Cadillac's web site
    2. Go to All Vehicles on the left side of the screen
    3. Click on the FUTURE MODELS tab and click on the DTS.
    4. Start reading.
  • jplaichjplaich Member Posts: 1
    I love my 1998 Cadillac DeVille Concours and have been shoping for my next Cadillac. I was planning on the new STS, but when I saw the interior of the new one I said forget it. I like the 2005 DTS, and I think this will be my last Cadiallc ever -- the new look is hideous! I hate the CTS, think the interior of the STS looks like a refrigerator, and the the body styling and read of the 2006 DeVille is just plain butt-ugly.

I don't know what the exec's at GM just keep missing the mark -- those who buy this brand want a luxury car that has a disctinct look and feel to it; with the 2006's you're no different than the Japanese cars. Leave it alone! Remember you customer base are not the 20-something's who want a "wanna-be" luxury car, but are those who have attained a position in life and want a luxury car that is distinctive in styling yes doesn't look as if I am going through a mid-life crisis.

If Cadillac continues on this neo-furutistic look for 2007, then absolutely they have lost a customer.

Disappointed... JPL
    The thing that I can't understand is this prejudice against senior citizens that the car reviewers seem to have. Buicks are for "blue haired matrons", Devilles are for "old people" etc etc. There are lots and lots of people over 60 and the life span of these old folks increases every year. They have plenty of money to buy expensive cars and many of them take long road trips and like Devilles, LeSabres, Town Cars, Mercedes S Models, Lexus 430's etc. I'm not crazy about the new DTS either. The old Deville had the nicest lines since the 1966 Cadillac. Why is it sinful to build a conservative car that appeals to older people? I wouldn't take a cross country trip in a Toyota Camry. I don't have to. I like my Deville and hopefully will buy several more. I would think that the car manufacturers would deliberately slant advertising to older people. Cadillac used to back in the '50's and '60's. Cruise lines that operate really upscale ships do, and so on, but car reviewers automatically discount Devilles, LeSabres, etc as cars for old people. I went through my sport car phase -I don't have to drive them anymore thank God.
  • kcmoverkcmover Member Posts: 36
    I currently own a 2002 Caddy DTS, Loaded with everything but the Moon roof. always dealer maintained and brand new tires. the car has 56,000 miles and I am ready to trade it. But Have decided that since my dealer is a con-artist. I won't go back to them and have started looking at Mercedes and Lexus vehicles. GM has seemingly decided that Owner loyality means nothing and the value of a 2002 DTS to this dealer is almost 75% less then the original sticker price. How will GM stay in business if they can't take a buyer who is in his forties on his 4th Caddy and sell him another one. Is it just me or is it The Hendrick dealership I am doing business with or GM.
    A used car trade in to a dealer is worth -at the most - exactly what it would cost the dealer to purchase a similar one at the GM auction of ex-rental cars and lease returns. The "wholesale blue book" is a joke. How does the price the dealer wanted to pay you for your 2002 DTS compare to the wholesale blue book ? I'll bet it was $2-3k less. I would sell the car privately. If you have any realtors who are friends I'd create a flyer with a photo of the car and details on it along with the private party price. Ask him or her to distribute the flyer at the next meeting of the local Board of Realtors (these are usually once a week and the realtors do a house tour of new listings after the meeting). I did this with my 10,000 mile 2002 LeSabre Limited (I inherited it and already had a Deville) a couple of months ago and immediately sold it to a realtor for $15,000 -the retail value. A realtor in our company recently purchased a 2001 Seville SLS with 80k miles (but still had 20k to go on a Certified warranty) for $11,000 from a fellow realtor. This is a great market for full size cars like yours. If the car is a "certified" one with the remainder of the 6 year 100,000 mile warranty it is even a better deal.
    You might want to buy a "Certified" Deville rather than a new one. The warranty is 6 years or 100,000 miles vice 48 months/50,000 miles for a new car. You should definately NOT trade in your present car. Sell it at least for the Edmunds private party price.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    we don't allow any buy/sell offers in the Forums. Posts have been removed.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

So what did you do? Did you look at a Lexus? Did the Lexus dealer offer you any more on a trade? Did you explore the realtor route?
  • atlantacaddyatlantacaddy Member Posts: 1
    I am a fourth generation Cadillac owner. I presently own a 2002 Escalade and a 1996 Deville (close to 200K and still runs like a top). Both of these models will be the last Cadillacs I ever buy.

I am 28, and I think GM is making a huge miscalculation if they believe this new restyling will attract younger buyers to their line. Cadillacs are regarded for their sophistication, quality, and luxury. This new DTS looks like a throwback to the late 90's Oldsmobile lineup before they went ca-plump. The new DTS is ugly. It has no marked styling. Cadillac seems to be no longer taking their line seriously.

Young buyers expect the same thing from a Cadillac that older buyers do: A refined automobile that is elegant and distinctive. The name Cadillac speaks for itself. It makes no sense to drastically redesign a vehicle that was already on the fringe of what a true Cadillac is in the first place.

Incidentally, can someone please explain to me why the resale value of Cadillacs is so low?
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    What exactly is so bad with the styling of the DTS? Let's be honest, the DTS is nothing more than a refreshed Deville with a new name and interior. The exterior isn't radically changed either. The DTS's styling differences from the current Deville are only that the headlights and taillights seem taller and slimmer.

I now believe that Cadillac is taking their lineup's styling more seriously than ever. We now know that Cadillacs are marked by tall, thin head and taillights, and the styling is pretty angular, the opposite of a Lexus. Audi BMW and MB all have their own traditional styling cues and Cadillac is joining the group.

You say Cadillacs are regarded for sophistication, luxury and quality and while I dont disagree, I do feel that the DTS from the pictures seems to be the epitome of these three things. Just look at the interior pictures and the options list and you will know.

Compare the Deville and the DTS. The DTS is not a major redesign of the Deville, rather a refreshed version of the Deville. It's what Chevy did to the Venture, they used the same platform, slapped on some different exterior styling and added a new interior and options. And there you have it, the 2005 Uplander.

I don't know why the resale value of Cadillacs is so low. But I do know that young and old folks alike will appreciate the Deville. It takes whatever was good about the Deville and improves it.

And someone is so disgusted with the new DTS, I would suggest buying a Town Car, Lucerne, Avalon or 300 instead of complaining about a great car.
    Have not done anything yet. I've looked hard and long maybe the M-350 from Mercedes or the Avalon from Toyota. At least the depreciation won't be as bad.
    I've been wondering the same thing on the Resale value being so low. It shouldn't cost so much to drive a CADDY. Three year old Toyota's have a better resale value.