Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DTS

Comments

• sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    The performance model has H rated tires for speed because the performance DTS has a higher speed limiter than the base models. If the tires are all season I think that they will last for a reasonable distance. The EPA numbers show about 1 MPG less for the performance model on the highway. It might be more like 2 MPG, but a lot depends on how you drive. How fast you cruise at will make a bigger difference for either axle ratio. With my SLS (base engine) I could usually average around 29 MPG by limiting my cruising speed to 70 MPH or less (if speed limit was less) on long trips. Cruising faster (or a strong headwind) would reduce the mileage to 25 to 27 MPG. A very strong wind once reduced the mileage below 25 MPG.
    When the 2006 DTS was introduced, one of the car magazines had an introductory test of it and the Lucerne. The DTS was performance and the Buick was the base V8. The difference was less than half a second to 60 MPH, but the base DTS would be about a half second slower due the heavier body. Cadillac at one time had some data on a web site showing this. The higher performance axle gearing will give the driver a feel of greater performance in the same gear.
  • kpsmkpsm Member Posts: 12
    My prior car was a V-8 Aurora that I found to be quite peppy.

In choosing the replacement car, I test drove the V-8 Lucerne . It seemed sluggish to me, by comparison with the Aurora. I test drove the 6 cylinder STS. It also seemed sluggish by comparison.

In my test drive, I found that the DTS Performance model put me back in my seat when I accelerated, and I could effortlessly pass cars going 70 miles per hour. I felt a significant increase in peppiness.

That has been my continuing experience for the past 20 months
    I had a supercharged 95 Riviera, which had a 2.93:1 axle ratio. It's perfomance was very good from my point of view. Then I had a 98 Aurora, with the base axle ratio, about 3.5:1. The car magazines generally showed that the Riviera was slightly faster in 0-60 and quarter mile performance. My impression was that both cars had similar performance. My 2002 Seville, with the 3.11:1 axle ratio was better than the Aurora I think.

One thing that I found with my Aurora was that the engine seemed to "breathe" better above 3000 RPMs. My Seville did not have a noticable improvement as the engine speed increased.

Your performance DTS is a bit quicker than the base model, and will give you the impression of greater performance in any particular gear. But, at 6000 RPM's the 3.11 axle will be going at a faster speed in any gear than the 3.71:1 axle ratio. My Seville could do about 90 MPH in second gear. I think that the DTS performance can do about 80 or so. My SRX will only do about 65 MPH in second, but I still have four gears left.
  • bremertongbremertong Member Posts: 436
    I just received a reminder from Onstar that my tires need to be rotated between 6000 and 8000 miles. My odometer is now at 6400 miles and I wondered how often it is wise to rorate based on other owners experience with their DTS. Owners manual says 7500.
    I took to a Schwab tire store today and they felt I could rotate at any time, they said the tires were wearing well and didn't see any urgency about doing it
    at the moment. In the real world how often is enough?? If never rotated how much sooner would the tires wear out? I'm just trying to get a general idea on this based on fact finding and the experience of other DTS owners. Last important bit of information is that living in a small community I rarely have to slam on my brakes or brake hard and often let the car coasts to a very slow speed before using the brakes.
    All suggestions appreciated.
  • vic10vic10 Member Posts: 188
    I've always rotated my tires at every other oil change, that is at 6000 miles. That goes for the FWD's I've owned (Taurus, Intrepid, Park Ave., Riviera) and for my current RWD (300C). The difference in wear, front to back, seemed insignificant when the tires were new. But as they reached around 20K miles, I could see a difference after 6000 miles. With the 60/40 weight bias of the DTS I think you'd have pretty bald front tires, especially at the edges of the tread, after 20K if you didn't rotate them.
  • lwj100lwj100 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 DTS (2006 Performance) with the same drive train. My experience has been vastly different that what your local repair shop indicated. I have 33K on my tires and they have at least one-half of the thread left and should go at least 45K. I did have to replace one of the tires from a sidewall nail incident but it was only $125. Not bad by today's standards.

As far as mileage, I routinely get 24-25 mpg. My wife took it to Charlotte a few weeks ago and even with a little stop and go driving, the DIC indicated 25.9 mpg when she pulled into the garage.

For the power and handling plus reasonably good mileage, I think that the performance model is very underrated.

Larry
  • texasjimtexasjim Member Posts: 9
    I have had TWO 2006 DTS's. Both Performance models.
    The first one, with 32000 miles burned in my garage fire and was almost a year old.

Bought the second new one for a Christmas present in Dec 2006. It now has 30,000 miles on it.

I have had very little trouble out of either one of them. My Air Conditioned seat quit working and the dealer replaced the seat mudule while I was getting an oil change.

The trunk mounted tail light was cracked.... replaced while getting another oil change.

Had them check the NAV unit once for a strange glitch.

Battery died after sitting in my garage for over a week with the radar detector left on and the cell phone charger plugged in. I don't think THAT was Cadillacs fault.

Called OnStar... 5 minutes later my dealer called and said the service truck was on the way. Ten minutes later... service truck was here. Jumped started with no problem. He replaced the battery anyway.

It has been at the dealer a couple more times for real minor stuff. They always give me a new car to drive. Usually a Lux ll DTS.

All in all... VERY LITTLE trouble with a total of over 60,000 miles on the two DTS Performance Sedans.

I have one question to the forum...

Why do most people think that the Performance Sedan with the Magnetic Ride, ride SOFTER than the regular DTS?

My experience has been the exact opposite. The Magnetic Ride is quite a bit FIRMER than the regular DTS. I have driven SEVERAL of them, both before I bought my first Performance Sedan and several time when it has been at the dealer.

The regular DTS has a much more smooth, soft and floaty ride. It also does not seem as CONNECTED to the road as the Performance Sedan.

Texas Jim
    My comment in the post you responded to was that the mag ride would soften the ride on rough roads. The performance package gets harder tires which will make the ride firmer. However, the performance DTS is NOT a sports sedan. If you want a sports sedan, the STS is closer to the mark. I will point out that, while the Corvette offers the mag shocks, they are not available on the Corvette with the performance handling package (Z51).
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Geez, with all those issues it sounds like the car will nickel and dime someone to death once the warranty expires... you've had more problems in the first 30,000 miles than I've had in the last 30,000 miles in my older of two vehicles, which has 180,000 miles on it.

I was urging my folks to look into a year-old DTS, but I think I'll hold off on that now. They have 42,000 completely problem free miles in their run-around-town car (a Civic EX); your DTS would be unacceptable.
    My comment in the post you responded to was that the mag ride would soften the ride on rough roads. The performance package gets harder tires which will make the ride firmer. However, the performance DTS is NOT a sports sedan. If you want a sports sedan, the STS is closer to the mark. I will point out that, while the Corvette offers the mag shocks, they are not available on the Corvette with the performance handling package (Z51).

I agree with you about the rough roads. It does smooth them out a lot.
    I know it is not a SPORTS SEDAN. If I had wanted one of those, I would not have bought a big DTS. :)

I like big comfortable cars. I don't like one that beats me up on trips. I have had my share of THOSE. :)

But that said... it is not too shabby for it's size and weight in the handling department.

Texas Jim
    The problems I listed were for BOTH cars... a total of over 60,000 miles. Most all of the problems were in the first two or three months.

I am also real particular about ANYTHING that I percieve as wrong with my car. If I think something is wrong... it goes back to the dealer.

I have been very happy with the two DTS Performance Sedans.
    I had thought that the FWD STS was a nice car when it was new in 1992. I also thought that if I ever bought one, I would want the STS, not the base Seville. However in 2002 my dealer wanted to dispose of the last SLS in stock and made me a deal that was acceptable. While at the time I was more interested in a sport sedan like the CTS, I was not really looking to buy one. I found the SLS's performance, ride and handling to be quite good for a FWD car. I had traded my 98 Aurora for it.

I find that my current SRX to handle much better than the Seville did, and I do not find the ride overly hard on long trips. I do have an optional sport package with lower profile tires (50's) on all four wheels. I think that on your DTS the ride would be harder without the magnetic shocks.
    "Why do most people think that the Performance Sedan with the Magnetic Ride, ride SOFTER than the regular DTS? "

The Performance sedan wasn't on my radar until YOU guys on the cadillacforums suggested I try driving one...and my impression was that it did ride softer than the Lux III, though "softer" may not be the correct word. A couple of possibilities:

1: All suspensions are a compromise and the standard Caddy must be firm enough at highway for control yet soft enough in town for comfort. So you aim somewhere in the middle, compromising on both ends. The Magnaride lessens the compromise. It can allow a softer in town ride because the shocks will add the appropriate firmness for highway driving. Don't know if that is actually true, but the concept of the variable shocks would allow that kind of set up.

2. When I drove the Lux III, I felt more wallowing, maybe a bit more shudder, when large suspension movements occurred. That was pretty much eliminated by the Magnaride. So though the suspension might be stiffer, it gave a much more controlled ride, which resulted in a smoother ride that was perceived as softer.

To me the Performance model was closer to what I expect of a "Cadillac ride" than the standard suspension. That, along with a more responsive transmission sold me. (The car is due in the next two weeks.....)

Vic10 (aka TulsaVic)
    The proper terminology is "active suspension" for the magnaride. The performance sedan's suspension is computer adjusted for the roughness of the road so that the suspension is a firm as possible at all times while still soft enough to give a "Cadillac" ride. This will allow the performance DTS to handle better on good roads, while still riding nicely on rougher roads. The basic DTS suspension is tuned for a decent ride with good handling, or at least my SLS was. The advantage of the base suspension is that replacement struts will not cost a lot. The performance DTS should handle better than the base suspension, but for the best handling either the RWD CTS or STS would be better. However, there are other compromises with the RWD STS or CTS.
  • maseratimanmaseratiman Member Posts: 2
    Call me a traitor - I sold the DTS for another Italian sports car. The seat was SOO painful that I had to succumb to what came natural to me. Now before the hatful emials come in I still love to all things Cadillac. I will most likely buy a XLR which I just drove. WOW so I will never leave my passion for Cadillac ever.

Newport BT
    I own both a 2005 Town Car and A 2006 DTS. No doubt that for me the Town Car is the better choice, It doesn't have that many high tec features as DTS but is much more reliable, feels like a luxury car (DTS fells more like a performance sedan). I have owned my Town Car for close to two years with no issues, the DTS had several issues with the electrical system
    when purchased new. The electrical system in DTS is still quirky at times but runs as designed most of the time. I enjoy owning these two fine cars but may choose either a Toyota, Honda, or Nissan as my partner for Town Car in the future. I am amazed to see so many American flags on the Japanese cars, I have never owned a foreign car but my experience with this DTS (my Third Cadillac) tells me it's time to strongly consider a Japanese car. The new car warranty on my DTS runs until mid 2011 or I would be inclined to trade it sooner.
    Judging from the posts on cadillacforums, I came to the conclusion that 2006 (which--correct me if I'm wrong--was the first year of the current design) was a particularly bad year for Cadillac. Even though the drivetrain was virtually identical, that year had many, many more complaints on quality. At least that's what I'm hoping since I will take delivery of a new 2008 DTS Performance next week.

I'd have to disagree with you on the Town Car. Granted, my only driving experience with one was a week long rental last year. But for such a large luxury car I found it uncomfortable. The seats gave the first impression of being soft, but I swear I could feel a hard bottom after awhile. Hated the driving position--plenty of legroom but sitting almost Corvette style with legs straight out rather than like sitting in a chair (which is what my 300C is like). Adequate performance around town but poor performance on the highway. Soft but not very controlled suspension. And one of the biggest complaints: Mushy brake pedal. I had to come to a sudden stop and had a hard time doing so...until I realized the engine was racing: The brake pedal mushed down so far that I ended up depressing the accelerator at the same time. (Granted, it WAS a rental car....). Overall it was a bit too dated for my tastes. Though I suppose for what you get for the money, it's a steal....
  • gbosleygbosley Member Posts: 20
    I have a 2008 DTS Performance , I took delivery end of Nov 07 I am taking it for First Oil Change monday it should be at 6000 mile mark , I have no complaints and really have enjoyed the car so far ,The Lane change warning in the mirrors saved me ,Not sure how i miss them as i looked but as i started into lane no warning and then they where there so i just eased back over start all over again .
    My Lady friend likes it enough she going to order a 09 in september , Enjoy the ride :)
    Thanks you for your well thought out and detailed response. You may be right about the 2006 model year. Many years ago I had heard that first model years were not good model years to buy in any car
    but I thought new quality controls by most manufacturers had improved upon this. I guess there could still be issues with first model years including Cadillac. I am reasonably satisfied with 2006 DTS but just have had bullet proof results with my Town Car. In addition (for me) the best part of my experience with T.C. has been the seats and interior comfort in general. One of the reasons I like the forums such as this is that owners can compare experiences and results and develop better insights in to the car owning experience. Of course this experience is enhanced when people like your self post their experiences with out trying to diminish the experiences
    of other owners and posters at this forum. Thanks again!
    My onstar free first year enrollment will expire in a few months and am seriously thinking of dropping the service. My reasoning is that I have never used the phone (have my own cell phone which never use when in motion) , when I had electrical system problems Onstar was unable to detect any problem and in fact has never been able to detect any problem with this car. Recently someone told me they were locked out of their car and Onstar was unable to unlock the car by their remote system. I realize that if I go off a cliff or have other kinds of accidents the system will contact assistance I rarely drive at night and for Seventeen dollars a month I suspect the chances of Onstar saving my life are less than my winning a mega bucks lottery if I bought seventeen dollars worth of tickets each month. Realistically people probably take a billion or more car trips a year both long and short distances and if Onstar has saved 100 lives they are sure using it as a big marketing tool. Having said all this I am eager to learn of others experiences and opinions regarding Onstar. I had a really bad experience with Onstar early this year when they were using an auto dialer to call me a few times a day to pitch additional Onstar services. It took the assistance of Cadillac customer service and Onstar to get my phone number out of the system.
    There is no right or wrong in this so any and all opinions are appreciated to help me evaluate whether
    I need this system.
  • davebuswelldavebuswell Member Posts: 2
    I have an '07 DTS and my wife has an '07 STS. Both have On Star. Only the DTS has the NAV system and frankly I find it less than easy to use. For that reason and because of the absence of the NAV system in my wife's STS, we both rely heavily on OnStar's turn-by-turn directions. We both have used the program many many times in many different situations and it has worked flawlessly on every occasion. In addition to the audible directions through the radio, directions are also visibly provided via the DIC.

In addition, my wife had a flat tire recently in a remote area. She merely pulled over, kept the car doors locked and called OnStar for Cadillac's Roadside Assistance. Such assistance was forthcoming within minutes. For this alone I would keep OnStar operational.
    Insurance is nothing but a lottery: You're betting you'll need the $$$ assistance and the insurance company is betting you won't. I think of OnStar as another lottery.
    On Cadillac.forums, one of the CTS contributors told how he was going down this relatively remote road, took a turn too fast, and rolled his car. OnStar responded when the airbags went off. As a result, he said he'd never drive without it.
    If you've never had an event when it was needed, then the yearly cost seems like a waste. But if you've needed it just once, you can probably justify it forever.
    I have no personal experience YET (If my new DTS doesn't come today I'll attack someone....). Ask me in a year if I think it's worth it. Since the car doesn't have NAV, I'll probably get some use...though I NEVER get lost.....
    I have the NAV in my SRX and I find it easy to use. Putting an address in is somewhat different from the way one might expect, but after reading the manual over and playing with it some, I find the NAV very useful. However, the OnStar directions are much easier in that you can summon the OnStar help and tell them the address bypassing the problem of getting the address into the NAV. But can you deviate from the directions? With the NAV if you deviate, it will try to turn you around, but if that is not succesful, it will compute a new route.
    I keep a cell phone in my Town Car and hope that will be enough for DTS if I give up Onstar. As mentioned before I drive mostly on main roads and rarely at night. You make a good point, if you needed it just once, might be a life saver. Be sure to post your reactions and feedback on your new DTS and best wishes with it!
    We've had thunder / hail storms here in Tulsa since 3AM today and are under a thunderstorm warning and tornado watch for most of the day. Of course it would be the day I pick up the new car. Expect to spend most of the day sitting in the garage reading the manual instead of cruising around. Might be awhile before I get a chance to form an impression of the car (it's suppose to be stormy all week). Coming out of a 300C, I'll probably post in the DTS vs 300C thread.
  • swhite407swhite407 Member Posts: 6
    Sadly, I must say I have given up on my 2006 DTS. I bought it new in 2/06 and have had nothing but problems the entire time I have owned it. After correcting the battery problems and windshield noise problems right from the beginning, I still have ongoing problems after 7 attempts to correct clunking noises in the front end. When I would come to a complete stop and then start to move again, there is something making a loud clunking noise in the right front end. You can also hear noises when turning the steering wheel to the left. GM called in tech support after continiously changing out parts to try and correct problems. I have new lower control arms, new front strut assembly, new axle, new tie rod ends, alignment of upper engine torque arm, and various other bolts and tightenings they said may have caused it. Needless to say, I am now trying to "lemon law" my beautiful black DTS. Besides these problems, they have replaced my radio amplifier because I have all of my sound in my interior go "mute" including my turn signals. This issue is ongoing, but only happens on occasion and they cannot "duplicate" this problem. I have read through the forum and noticed banging noises coming from the rear end from other people. Service people thought I was crazy when I told them that I get about 1 mile from my house after start-up and I hear 5 knocks coming from rear end. Sounds like a "monkey in my trunk"! Thought it was outside construction at 1st...now I know it is just another thing they cannot fix. This is my 4th Cadillac and the most disappointing. Loved my 2000 DTS but had stabilization light on for 2 years that they could not correct either. Parked my Cadillac in garage 3 months ago and bought another car because they could not fix problems and I felt steering problems made it unsafe to drive. Anyone having these problems also, please let me know. I just want GM to take car back at this point!
    recently renewed the "Direction and Connections" plan for another three years. Got a little better deal that way.

I travel a lot and use it quite a bit.
    It is real nice, when coming into a strange town, to just push the button and ask the nice OnStar lady where the nearest Holiday Inn is. She tells you how to get there and will give you the phone number. Sometimes I have had them make the reservation for me. All I have to do is check on.

After you get checked in, you need to eat... Push the button and ask her where the steakhouse (or whatever) is, and she tells you how to get there.

It can save you a lot of trouble and hassle.

I also used it one time when I locked myself out of the car and was 50 miles from the nearest town. The cost of a locksmith to come out that far probably paid for at least a years subscription. And I didn't have to wait a couple of hours to get the car unlocked.
    I'm really sympathetic to your problems and hope you will be provided with a new car. May I suggest that as a part of your efforts you write to the President of the Cadillac division outlining the problems you've mentioned in your post, if that doesn't get results write directly to the president of G.M. Considering that this is your fourth Cadillac they should do something substantial for you and not just apologize for your problems. My 2006 DTS is my third Cadillac,
    I would rate my level of satisfaction at around a six with ten being highest. PLEASE NOTE, I have the same problem as you do with the radio and turn signal audio not coming on at ignition, this happens around once a month on average, I giggle the on off switch on the radio and this generally corrects the problem but for a car of this category it is disappointing to have an unresolvable glitch like this.
    Based on my experience I will probably not by a first model year again unless I do more checking than I did
    for this car. My warranty runs out in mid 2011 and will probably replace the car before the end of the new car warranty period.
    I hope you will continue to update us on your progress and the resolution of it and if I can be of assistance please post here and I will certainly try in that I own the same model year. Best wishes and continue to go after what you paid for, a good quality luxury car.
    Unless I have to go out and drive in bad weather I just stay home since I work at home and don't have to commute to an office. The idea of spending some serious time with the owners manual is a very good one, even an hour would probably bring very good results. I have considered a 300C as a replacement for my DTS but suspect will not be trading till at least 2010 and suspect lots will happen with Cadillac in the next few years so am open to the idea of another Cadillac. Best wishes with your new car and by all means keep us all posted on how you like it and your overall impressions versus the 300C.
  • davebuswelldavebuswell Member Posts: 2
    If you deviate from the turn-by-turn verbal OnStar instructions, there will be a message indicating you "have left the planned route." This will occur, for example, when you turn into a rest area on the Interstate. This message will be followed by "will you need help getting back to the planned route. Yes or no?" I have never had a problem with any route deviation.
  • kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    "I have all of my sound in my interior go "mute" including my turn signals. This issue is ongoing, but only happens on occasion and they cannot "duplicate" this problem."

This has happened several times in my '07 DTS with 12k miles. Happens so infrequently that I didn't expect the dealer to be able to duplicate the problem. Until a service bulletin appears, there's probably nothing that can be done. I assume this glitch isn't setting any codes in the BCM.
  • fmoellerfmoeller Member Posts: 21
    From an earlier post I wrote:

"True, with On-Star turn by turn you do not have to type your destination. That is the only advantage. Just before my free subscription expired I called for directions to a very well known destination just to test the system. At the same time I set up my built-in system for the same destination

I purposely passed the destination. On Star asked if I wanted new directions by reconnecting to an advisor. This would mean waiting for a down load of new directions.

Meanwhile the built-in system had already re-calculated and was redirecting me to my destination. Also, you can see an actual map to clarify where you are with the built-in system.

I will not be renewing On Star unless they lower their prices."

Additionally, someone made mention that ONSTAR would direct you to restaurants and hotels. The built in NAV does this also if you have those options turned on. The map actually shows such things as gas, hotels, restaurants, and medical facilities right on the map, but you do initially have to tell the system what you want displayed.

The built in NAV is extremely easy to set up and use.

The built in NAV system is by far, better than On Star. I have a small portable NAV system that I purchased ($150.00) for my truck that outperforms On Star.
    I have the same problem with my 2006 DTS and dealer told me that unless it was going on at the dealership there was not much chance of figuring out what was wrong. As is the case with your car, mine only does this about once a month. If you get it diagnosed and repaired please post solution here and if I find an answer I will also post here. My car does it at ignition and if I giggle the radio on/off switch a few times the turn signal and radio audio have come on so far.
  • brickhouse1964brickhouse1964 Member Posts: 1
    We purchased a 2007 DTS this past summer and have had several issues with the suspension. The brake and gas pedals feel like they are loose and going to come off whenever you hit any kind of rough terrain. There is also a ticking sound in the dashboard that sounds like a fan hitting something. It's been in several times to solve these problems but they have never been able to do anything about it. They even contacted Michigan and were told that they'd had other DTS's with the same problem but deemed it to be a design flaw. We are now working on a dealer buy-back with our local dealership.

Anyone know what I'm talking about or have the same issues?
    The GM representatives (the same one that told me there was nothing wrong with my car in Feb. 2008, but then a bad tie rod end was found!) came out and drove my car again on 4/9/2008. I am now waiting to see if they will re-purchase my 2006 DTS. Again, my wheels feel like bobble heads when I am going over any bumps in the road along with having front end clunking noises. I think maybe Cadillac should have all of their tech support drive Cadillacs on a daily basis like we do, so maybe they would know what their supposed to drive like! Will keep everyone updated on my meeting with Atty Generals office for the lemon buy-back.
    GM tech support will not tell me that this is a design flaw. They have replaced lower control arms, axle, front end strut assembly, tie rod end, and aligned front end torque along with other bolts that they felt may be causing the problems. The service manager at the dealer I bought the car told me they are guessing as to what parts to replace. Each time, they have given me the car back (after 7x in service for same problem!!) they said that it was fixed. On my final repair attempt for the lemon-law, GM told the BBB that there was nothing wrong with my car!! Another dealership then replaced a tie rod end, but also told me that they could not guarantee me that was the only thing wrong with my car. Still battling with GM to take this car back!
  • musicejrmusicejr Member Posts: 11
    I'm 29 and strongly considering a certifed 2007 DTS Lux II.

It's not just old people that like this car.

I rented a DTS in Janauray. After driving a Camaro, Prius, and a Mustang (i actually liked the seats) I was horribly spoiled by the drive and comfort of the DTS.

I made a hasty decision in February and bought a Honda Accord Coupe 2008. The body style and such is amazing and the performance is good. The problem is the seats are extremely uncomfortable for rides longer than 30mins.

I'm also considering an STS.
    My '07 DTS electrics come back on by themselves in no more than 2-3 seconds. However, the silence is deafening for that short period. First I replayed a song on the MP3 disc I made, thinking my computer had caused a skip in the recording. No such luck. It's the car. Turn signal also disappears intermittently. You're right, it happens about once per month.
    It helps me have a balanced view of my own experience with this vehicle to see the many posts from other owners and prospective owners about their experiences and opinions about this model. It helps for example to know that the problem with the turn signal audio is not isolated to my car but is being reported in other DTS cars even later model years than my own. Hope owners and prospective owners will continue to post as they have been doing recently. I think having this feedback helps a great deal when one has to discuss any situation with Cadillac corporate or a local dealer service dept.
  • john178john178 Member Posts: 48
    Bremertong- I have found On Star quite useful in my 2006 DTS. Turn by turn navigation system saved me around 20 minutes being directed by On Star to travel backroads to avoid a long line of cars exiting a basketball game. I have also found it to be useful when traveling to a business meeting in a large city, and other times where directions are needed. There have been numerous times my personal cell phone gets poor or no reception in parts of the county I reside in.In 2 years, I have locked my keys in the car, and within 10 minutes both times On Star unlocked my car. I also like the diagnostics report I receive on line each month. When I first subscribed to On Star, I didn't think I would have a need or desire to enroll again, but I'm glad I renewed for another year.
    Given the high depreciation rate of DTS and most luxury cars for that matter, I wondered if I should lease my next DTS or successor Cadillac model. Owning two cars I drive them about 7500 miles each year so the mileage factor would be in my favor. I have always bought my cars for cash and would not consider an auto loan. I would enjoy always having the most updated cars. Have any of the participants of this forum leased? What are the advantages and the pitfalls?
    My recommendation is to do a Smart Buy with a minimal down payment. At the end of 24 mos. (or 36 mos.) you can either buy the car for the pre-determined price or you can turn it in and walk-away, very much like a lease. Also, I just got a notice in the mail that Cadillac is offering $2k purchase cash plus $3k customer cash on a new DTS.
    Does a smart buy mean I would be taking out a loan for the two year period and paying interest on the balance? As I understand a lease it would not involve interest just a monthly payment and a deposit.

Many thanks for your reply.
  • wes63wes63 Member Posts: 3
    DTS with 1100 miles purchased NEW Feb 27, 08. Car had a vibration on the test ride and the dealership said he'd remove the Continental tires and replace them with Michelins (Energy plus). Vibration noticed on ride home at all speeds from 35-70 mph. Returned to dealer and he re-balanced tires. Shop manager (he) test drove the car and still felt the vibratation. He swapped a set of tires and wheels off a NEW DTS with Energy plus tires and the test ride also had vibrations. He force balanced the set of tires and wheels I drove to the shop and they were reinstalled. He test drove the vehicle and it still has the same vibrations. While the Energy plus is a recommended tire by GM the Michelin Pilot MXM4 Model # (MSPN) 21201 is a more expensive tire and also recommended by GM. The Pilot, as quoted by Michelin, "Uses computer-optimized design and precision manufacturing to offer greatly reduced vibrations and road noise." I have an appointment in two days to leave the car with the shop manager to find a resolution. I'm not confident that the tires are the problem but maybe the stiffer sidewall of the Energy plus exacerbates the the level of vibration.
  • robw64robw64 Member Posts: 76
    Wes63: I'm sorry you're having this suspension issue with your DTS.....it sounds very similar to the unresolved problem we had with my 2006 DTS Lux III.

From my experience, I would recommend you install only the tires recommended by the dealer (and let them do it). By installing tires purchased elsewhere, I unknowingly gave Cadillac a "way out" excuse which allowed them to completely blow me off with the claim that I caused the problem myself by putting on non-factory tires.

Even though I ended up getting rid of my DTS (I just couldn't take the vibration anymore) I still have followed this issue all over the internet. It seems to be very common on these vehicles, yet completely unresolved for the 2007 and 2008 model years.

Good luck with your Caddy. Keep us posted.
  • gbosleygbosley Member Posts: 20
    I have a 2008 DTS with performance package , i have the bridgestone turanza el400 , i have to say that it runs super smooth ,But the interesting thing i almost swap out the tires on delivery for yokohama tires , the bridge stones got such a bad write up on tire rack i thought about changing to them, When the sales manager called me and talk about making the change and he suggested to stay with original equipment because of so many issues with vibration , He told me if i change to something else it would be out of there hands to correct .
    I think it amazing that GM has not got a handle on this and the salesman told me there been a few cases that even with original equipment they lemon law the car
    being through Lemon Law on Audi A6 i will tell you to get all paper work before you leave shop , if your entitle to loaner take it even if you take it home and park it
    record dates and times on phone to gm or garage and
    any comments made by tech or any rep, good luck , i hope that they can fix it and you don't have to do lemon law
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    Just out of curiosity has anyone on this forum had zero problems with a 2007 or 2008 DTS? I'm keeping my 2003 Deville forever at this rate. 65,000 miles and not one problem. Runs perfectly -everything works, and it gets 30 mpg on the road or more. I suppose when I finally do replace it I may look at a used Lincoln Town Car or used Lexus. Cadillac -as evidenced by all the complaints -has not improved in the last 5 years.
    My experience with my 2006 DTS supports your statement. I owned a 2004 Deville which also got 30 MPG on the highway, my 2006 DTS gets around 26.5.
    My 2005 Town Car gets about 29.5 in highway driving. T.C. weighs about 400 lbs. more than DTS, has a slightly smaller engine but has more than enough power in most every driving situation. You would be wise to consider any of the brands and models you mention. Only problem with Lexus is the cost to value ratio. I think Town Car wins on that basis against almost any luxury auto. Test drive them all and pick the one that suits you best and let us know who gets your preference and choice. In the meantime I would be in no hurry to part with your 2003 Deville. Best wishes!
  • kpsmkpsm Member Posts: 12
    I'm at two years and 14,000 miles on my '06 Performance Model DTS. I have had zero problems with this car. I've had the oil changes (free from my dealer) and had the tires rotated once; otherwise I have not had any servicing done on the car.

The ride is excellent, with no vibration, ever. I'd call this car the most trouble free car that I've ever had, and the most fun to drive.