Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac DTS

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    You won't buy a Buick but will buy a Cadillac? Hate to tell you, but the Buick Lucerne and Cadillac DTS are much the same car.
  • I had an oil change (at the dealer) a couple of weeks ago , drove around town, took a 400 mile trip, and now discover that I'm down a quart of oil. I rarely check the oil -just get an oil change every 3,000 miles. The car has 69,000 miles on it ('03 base Deville). I heard that the Northstar engines tend to use oil. Is this true?
  • gbosleygbosley Posts: 20
    I am a cadillac owner i had 03 dhs and now 08 dts , my 03 had consumption issue it seem like but i would check stick next morning after change it be down 1/8- 1/4 of inch from full line talk about a Bull crap answer i got , from wrong dip stick to it a high performance engine , I unloaded my 03 in 06 and came back in 08 , almost 20,000 and no issues just go in for oil change every 6500 miles and tire rotation
    oh i did go to different dealer , but next oil change check that stick next morning
    figure if they short enough customers on oil the profit line will raise , shame is it not GM fault it quality of dealer , it a shame
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    My 2002 Seville LS would use a quart of synthetic oil every 2000 miles or so. I think that the FWD northstar engines are supposed to get 7.5 quarts with an oil/filter change. So, they should charge you for the amount of oil actually put in.

My RWD northstar V8 has used less than a quart in the last 10000 miles since the first oil change. I am now down to 27% on the oil monitor and will have it changed after 24000 miles. It requires synthetic oil meeting GM's 4718 standard (mobil 1 or equivalant).
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,293
    New 08 DTS lux II white diamond paint---List for 50K sell for $40K. Anyone care to guess how long it will sit on the lot and/ or what it will sell for? Will the folks who want it be able to finance it? I would need another 8K off to get me interested but these guys act like the economy's great even with an empty showroom day after day after day. They have used 08's with 20-40K and are asking $29-35. Maybe they'll keep busy polishing the bumpers in March.
    Took a test drive --- very nice ride.
  • Very true but the divisions are different - one is Cadillac and the other is Buick. I had good warranty service from Cadillac and poor service from Buick. These problems on 06's-08s are troublesome. I may look into a 350 Lexus instead next time. I like Cadillacs though and have had good luck with my 03. Frankly I like the way they ride and if I can get a model year old base model for $27k or so it is cheaper than a new Avalon. I'll look around though in the spring of 2010 when I'll sell the 03.
  • The local Cadillac/Chevrolet dealer is having tough times. The "Employees Discount" sale in Sept. didn't bring in as many customers as the one last year and the profit for the dealer on each unit was way down on this one. Normally out here in the high plains there are a lot of trucks sold -to people who need a truck - not people who drive it to the country club -and truck sales are down too. The Toyota dealer says things are great but I notice that he has a few NEW 2007's sitting around on his lot. Lots of bargains for new 2007s. A friend just got a new 2007 Tundra ($39,000 sticker ) for $25k and his old 2000 F-150 with a hundred k miles on it.
  • I hear that with GM's problems they will be postponing any effort to combine the STS and DTS into a smaller car to replace the present DTS.. This would have put it into a position to compete with new Lincoln midsize that is larger than the Fusion.
    I'm not happy about downsizing the DTS but the basic design dates from 2000 and I'd like to see something new that looks more like the Sixteen. As things stand now I'll trade my 2003 Deville for a certified 09 DTS in the spring of 2010.
  • otto8otto8 Posts: 116
    My 07 DTS has been flawless and has about 25k miles on it so far.
    Not much different from my 03 Deville but the restyle of the nose
    and tail along with the new dash look pretty good.
    Didn't worry about taking a big hit on the lousy resale value on this
    one because I didn't buy it new. As a GM employee/retiree/family
    member I picked this one up as a GM PEP unit with 2,900 miles
    for $29k and its a lux 3 pkg so its got all the goodies.

Heck...the local late model used car superstore in Syracuse NY has
    ex-rental 08 lux-1 pkg CTS for $21k !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • A friend with an 03 Performance Deville (DTS) has had the car cut out several times. He wrestles it to the shoulder and it starts just fine and might run a week until it happens again. The dealer has replaced his fuel pump twice and it still happens. I would think that the computer would tell the dealer what has happened but all the dealer does is replace the fuel pump. Has this happened to anyone on this list? It seems to me that I read about it in the past.
    My bet?........................

A CPS aka crank position sensor.
    Another 3rd world produced part with a high failure rate!
  • As otto8 said...
    Crankshaft Position Sensors.
  • vic10vic10 Posts: 188
    Not that you need affirmation....but I had the exact same problem in a company lease Dodge Intrepid several years ago. It was the crankshaft position sensor. Told the computer the engine wasn't turning and so the computer shut off the fuel.
  • Thanks for the heads up. It WAS the crank position sensor -actually two of them. Both were replaced in my friend's car under warranty.
  • 2007 DTS with package II, sun roof and onboard navigation. I bought the 07 DTS a few months back and had nothing but problems. It was a program car, The main issue is a vibration. So far the dealer has switched all the tires and rims, force load balanced all tires, checked all the running gear, calipers, rims, etc for anything bent or not true but found nothing. I have noticed that the vibration is worse at different speeds and at certain speeds when accelerating The speeds that seem worse are around 30, just under 40, around 60, and 70 but still feel it at any speed. If you put it in neutral and coat the vibration is still there. I have found that just under 40 mps if you let off the gas the vibration is gone and returns as soon as you are back on the gas. This is a very annoying problem and seems to be getting worse.

On warmer days I have notice a quick jerk almost like an engine stumble (but not the engine) after I have driven the car awhile.

Here are some of the other problems that are either waiting to be fixed or have been fixed.
    1- when I first start moving I hear a banging some where in the front end. After a lot of testing the dealer found the rack and pinion assembly is bad and is being replaced next week
    2- have to be about 2 feet from the car for either remote to work. Tried replacing the battery but still have the problem. Scheduled to be worked on next week.
    3- drives seat heater quit working - scheduled for next week
    4- top 5 wires on rear window didn't work - replace rear window
    5- foam padding in passenger door panel defective - replaced panel
    6- drivers seat plastic is broken on the outside edge and a piece that goes over the seat belt is missing - scheduled for next week
    7- clear coat defective on front around and between the head lights and part of right fender - repainted
    8- rain sensor wipers didn't work - part is missing and were replaced
    9- low coolant warning light and little or no heat- cross over pipe was leaking, replaced gaskets
    10- tire monitor warning on dash, front left tire does not read at times- scheduled next week
    11- service bulletin on steering part about grease being packed on one end causing rattle - part was replaced but didn't fix banging noise
    12- sun roof rattled - readjusted rails

The GPS system is not that good. My $150 Tom Tom is far better that the GM unit. The GM GPS system is not very accurate and wants to keep routing me to major highways when there a good alternate routes. One time when I was testing it I have no idea where I would have ended up. I knew where I was going and it wanted me to turn places that would have take me to who knows where. I probably will follow the directions some day just to see. The voice commands for the radio are very limited.

I keep wondering what will happen next. I don't believe this is a dependable car. Really considering getting rid of it.

My old car was a 97 Deville that started leaking oil at the half seal. Other than that it had a few minor problems but overall was a good vehicle.
    Well at 2 years old and 31k miles my 07 has had a problem!

While down at my Daytona house for a few weeks I had a dead battery
    one morning. A call to the GM 800 number had a tech from a local
    Caddy dealer phone me with a few questions and arrive shortly afterwards
    with a new battery and had it installed in minutes !
    My elderly neighbors were amazed that the battery was under the back seat....................
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,673
    Saturday, in the editorial pages of the Atlanta Journal, was an article about someone who bought a DTS (2008?) that was plagued with vibration issues, and all Caddy could do was tell him that they is nothing to be done about it...he rented another DTS in a city he flew to, and he was grateful that the rental DTS vibrated worse than his... :sick: :lemon: ...

He stated he would never buy another GM car again...

I know lemko has a cream puff, but if you want to know why the Big 3 are going down, multiple this guy in the article by hundreds of thousands, and you might see why Lexus may become the luxury car of choice...

We just don't seem to cut it anymore...and, for all the satisfied lemkos out there, there are not enough to compensate for the disgruntled buyers who are abandoning Cadillac FOREVER...

Why can't they see that???
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Posts: 299
    I agree. I have an 03 base Deville that was a Program Car (Alamo Rental). I bought it when it had 30,000 miles in January of 04 and it has been trouble free. It now has 70,000 miles. I planned to turn it in next Spring and get an 08 or 09 Program DTS. I'll probably look for a base model again but may just give up on GM and get a new Avalon. or a used Lexus. I never liked the ride of a Toyota but the Avalon is pretty smooth. Road noise and wind noise is loud though -much worse then Cadillac. The big seller at Cadillac is the CTS and nobody at GM seems to promote the DTS. If I want a mid size car I'll buy a Malibu. I can't figure out why GM has let Cadillac slip so badly judging from the comments on this list.
  • wpsrwpsr Posts: 21
    Updated 4/2009

Our car is a 2006 Cadillac DTS Lux III purchased new, now 3 yrs old. We took the car in April 2009 for a windshield washer recall. We have always had the car serviced at the dealer (we no longer have a dealer in Grass Valley, CA). When the car was ready after the windshield recall fix, they told us they did and update on the Engine Control Module (recall 07132 off the repair order). It may be a Service Bulletin rather than a recall. I found document ID # 1993220 (# 07132), it also covers some 2006 Buick Lucerne, Chev Cobalt, Saturn ION, Buick Rainier, Chev TrailBlazer and GMC Envoy. We did not receive any notification about the ECM update, but are sure glad to have it fixed.

The acceleration problem is gone, thank god. It was very frustrating and took a lot of extra braking (also dangerous). This acceleration always happened with foot on the brake just as we turn into our driveway. A couple of years ago, I went to the dealer and drove another new 2006 and 2007, they both had the acceleration problem. We also have the GPS updated DVD and have a clock we can read on the GPS display. We haven't been on a trip to see how the maps are working.

WPSR
  • fmoellerfmoeller Posts: 21
    Congratulations on correcting your acceleration problem.

You mentioned that you have a clock on your GPS system. My car is a 2006 (DTS) and I also have the latest DVD (I think) and I still do not have a clock on the display.

How did you get the clock to appear? What version of the DVD do you have? Did the dealer have to do anything to get the clock to display?

Thank you in advance. You answers will be most appreciated.
  • wpsrwpsr Posts: 21
    You are welcome, yes the acceleration problem was dangerous. It is really nice to have an open communication for everyone here.

Previous Disc: North America Disc: United States & Canada
    Part No. 15804409
    2006 DTS
    Ver: 1.10

My new disc: North America Disc replacement.
    United States, Canada, Alaska & Hawaii
    Part No. 20857425U
    2009 NA CH/GMC900/SRX/DTS
    Ver: 4.1c

The clock should be in the top right corner of the display while the radio or GPS is on. When it is off with the ignition key on or in accessory position, the clock should be near the middle of the display. To make changes to the clock press the menu key until the clock on the top right of the screen is selected. I ordered the replacement disc Dec. 2008 and finally got it April 2009. I think the replacements are still on back order.
    Thanks for the response. I contacted GM (NAV disc center). My disc update was ordered in Oct 2008 and that version does not include the clock. They told me that the current release (the one you have) does have the clock and I would have to purchase it because I already have all the updates that I am entitled to. I should have waited and ordered in Dec 2008 as you did. I will stop by the dealer and see if they can do anything. The disc is not worth the $100 plus just to get a clock.

Thanks again.
  • bob247bob247 Posts: 8
    While at the dealers one of the drivers seat motors quit working so the replaced the entire seat frame.
    They replace the drives side seat heaters but turns out the bottom does not heat.
    Dealer also replaced the sun roof to eliminate rattle. This also got rid of some wind noise.
    I got the car back on a Friday and left on vacation Sunday. On Monday I decided to wash the car and water poured in from the center console and the head liner on the drives side. I had to drive a hour and half one way to have a dealer fix it. Turns out whoever replaced the sun roof at the dealership in my town didn't attach the drain hose. Wasted a lot of vacation time just getting it fixed.
    I asked the dealer that fixed the sun roof if they had any problems with a vibration and found out they had. They told me it was most likely a bent axle and to have both replaced.
    My windshield was replaced a few months back. My sister noticed the view in the bottom 1/4 of the window is distorted.
    While on vacation here are the other things that broke
    - automatic head light dimming quit working
    -compass quit working
    -drives side bottom seat heater doesn't work

The dealer in North Carolina had to turn all my brake rotors because the brakes were making a loud noise and caused a lot of vibration.
    Have I mentioned this car has 40,000 miles on it.
  • bob247bob247 Posts: 8
    When I bought my 07 DTS the GPS Dvd was missing so the dealer ordered a new one. I have the clock in the upper right corner which is nice.
    I am not overly impressed with the Cadillac GPS system. When I added my home address while parked in my driveway it shows my house 3 or 4 blocks farther down the road.
    Before going on vacation I programed my sisters address into the system. The system said I reached my destination but her house was about a 1/4 farther. I ended up calling her to find out exactly where she lived.
    During the trip out I found on a couple of occasions it told me to late which way to go.
    I have found other GPS system's (Tom Tom and Gamin) were much more accurate and a lot cheaper. GM needs to work on the program to make it more accurate. My dealer checked the system and said there was nothing they could do to increase the accuracy.
    I like the touch radio but would not spend the money again unless the GM system improves.
    I also found it likes major highways and will keep trying to route you back to them even if it is more miles. I need to test the detour function more to see where it wants to route me.
    Regarding your NAV system, I have a 2006 DTS and find it very accurate, much better than On-Star. Of course, it depends on the disc version. Unfortunately mine does not have the clock, but I only need that on trips and at night. For my other car I have a portable Garmin ($150) which works just as good.

Did you calibrate your compass? See the owner’s manual on how to do this. This could affect the accuracy of the NAV system.

To set the NAV system with your home address, the most accurate way is to park in your driveway and press the Home button rather than enter it manually. This way it will direct you right into your driveway. There is option where you can add a destination by selecting your current location (coordinates) and saving it to the address book. This is how I entered my son’s address when his house was under construction and still not on any maps.

There are options (see user guide) that you can select to avoid Interstates, tolls, ferries, etc. That may be why it directs you to major highways as this would be faster than rural roads.

LOL and sorry about all your other problems.
  • bremertongbremertong Posts: 436
    I own a 2006 DTS which was purchased new in 2007 and still has Two years and 38,000 miles left on the new car warranty. If Gm goes chapter 11 will the Company be honoring its warranties on cars bought before the bankruptcy? I read an article tonight saying that bankruptcy was almost certain and that the the government would probably honor warranties on new car purchases but didn't mention cars purchased new before potential bankruptcy? Any feedback on this important aspect of ownership will be greatly appreciated.
  • texasjimtexasjim Posts: 9
    If you know anyone that has the new disk...you can put it in your car and it will update your firmware so that you will have the clock. The firmware also updates a few other things.

When you insert the disk..it will say...UPDATING FIRMWARE..it takes about 3 or 4 minutes to do this.

DO NOT TURN OFF THE IGNITION while it is updating.

Texas Jim
  • vic10vic10 Posts: 188
    Letters have gone out (mine came a couple of days ago) from the president of GM North America stating "Rest assured, we will honor the warranty commitment given to you and the time of your purchase". (mine is an '08 bought new in April '08). And if this guy backs down, well, you have the guarantee of the US Guvnment and if you can't trust Obama, then......
  • kpsmkpsm Posts: 12
    I'd say that the government backing removes any question about the warranties being good, so that's a plus.

I just purchased my '06 DTS Performance model after three years of leasing it. We now have 25k miles on the car. I had a wheel hub replaced under warranty, otherwise this has been a problem free car with an excellent ride.

I just updated the Navigation DVD, and now have the digital clock.
  • bremertongbremertong Posts: 436
    Thank you for your reply, I received the same or a similar letter which of course was nice to know with about two years to go on the warranty. If the government can bring GM out of chapter 11 as quickly as it did Chrysler that would be a good thing for the future of both General Motors and Cadillac.