Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DTS

Comments

• hydra2hydra2 Member Posts: 114
    Enjoy your ride. The base is sweet... Roomy, comfortable, stylish and impressive. I still get compliments on mine as do most deville owners posting in this forum.

My only regret is that I didn't spring for the xm radio option. Wife loves it in her accord. Will definitely have it in my next car. I bought a Delphi XM Skyfi unit, but haven't found a trustworthy installer, so I just play it in the house.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    Motor Trend in the current issue has lots of photos of 2005 cars but absolutely nothing on the 2005/6 STS/DTS. Must not be much to read in the Cadillac corporate bathroom. MT and C&D only like exotics, race cars, and muscle cars. Consumer Reports only likes Japanese cars. Has anyone actually seen a photo of the 2005 STS or new 2006 Deville? What do they look like compared to the current ones?
    I finally saw a photo of the 2005 STS in the current GM Edge Magazine distributed to dealers. It looks very similar to the CTS. The photo is a 3/4 view so it is impossible to determine the length of the car but the taxt said that it was built on the CTS platform and therefore is probably smaller than the present 2004 SLS. I'd still like to see a photo of the 2006 DTS. I hope that it is the same length that the present Deville is now.
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    It can't change length by that much, it will be on the same platform. Basically they are improving the mechanicals, freshening the look, and tearing down and rebuilding the interior.
    I say again - Has anybody seen a photo of the 2006 DTS ?
    No, most likely pics will surface next auto show season.
    Update, the DTS will be coming in spring 2005.

Possibly AWD standard.
  • pitsterpitster Member Posts: 3
    Hey Theo, many thanks for the Spring 2005 info on the 2006 DTS. Can you share with us your source? As well any styling info, spy shots, etc.
    I can tell you the program code, GMX-272.
    issue describes and illustrates 50 cars "worth waiting for". Lots of 2005's, 6's and even 7's but not one mention of any Cadillacs, even the STS which is currently being promoted by Cadillac. I sent them an email. I couldn't understand why there was not even a mention of the 2006 DTS. You would think that someone would have taken a spy photo of it. It must be a really closely guarded secret. Hopefully it will look lots better than the present 430 Lexus sedan beloved by the yuppies which resembles a mid size pre-2003 Toyota Camry. Bland is not the word for it. My 2003 Deville is at least recognizable as a Cadillac. With a Lexus sedan you have to get close enough to see the logo.
  • RobberbarronRobberbarron Member Posts: 39
    Just imagine if cadillac builds a fwd DTS that matches or outdoes the TL.

It would still come in last on the Edmunds comparison test because they don't like the turn signal lever and the steering wheel will be too fat.
    When you start believing the "Car of the Year" articles remember that the Vega was Motor Trend's
    Car of the Year for 1971 as I recall. I guess the exploding Pinto was most likely the runner up.
    I understand that the 2006 DTS will be FWD and the major redesign and switch to RWD will come around 2009 or 10. The 2006 will be redesigned and there will be engine improvements but it won't be a totally new car . This information came from the Cadillac Forum.
    AIC Autosite says that the 2005 Deville will be a carryover with Base, DHS, and DTS offered.
    Surely someone has seen a spy photo. The car will be out in around a year! The car magazines are totally silent.
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    Probably because the new DTS is being pitched to GM's existing customers and isn't considered to be the S-class fighter that GM is now considering building. The current Deville platform still sells well at Cadillac, and enjoys lots of fleet sales as well as Cadillac's virtual ownership of the hearse and 6-door limousine market. An upper end full sized Caddy S-class fighter would likely be too expensive for those traditional markets. Cadillac would effectively be leaving money on the table for not a huge investment.
    I never could figure out why the Deville buyers have always been pegged as traditionalists, old, etc . I bought full size (there weren't any small Cadillacs then)Cadillacs when I was in my 20's. I have always enjoyed road trips in a full size car that holds lots of luggage and has a hospitable back seat. The CTS I wouldn't touch in a thousand years. One day driving around the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex in a 2003 was enough for me. Luckily I wasn't in the back seat. My 2001 Malibu has a more comfortable ride, more room, and better access to the trunk. I have a 2003 base Deville and thoroughly enjoy it. I've had Jags, Audis, and a wide range of Japanese cars. The latter cost a fortune for dealer maintenance and the Audis and Jags were lemons. "European Handling" to me is equated with a rough ride with teeth jarring bumps and potholes. The CTS rides just about like my 1997 Ranger Extended Cab. The Ranger might actually ride a bit better. My next Cadillac will be a 2006 DTS and I'd sure like to see a spy photo of it.
  • cadillacnhcadillacnh Member Posts: 6
    I actually went to buy a 2004 DeVille and ended up buying a 2004 CTS Sports Luxury Edition instead. I love it (for the most part). In a perfect world, I'd like to own both, they're VERY different cars. The DeVille is a luxurious, soft, comfortable, spacious, roomy feel. It's a great car to drive long distances, take friends and family to special events (especially in the black/black version), it's very very comfortable. Superb safety record as well. The CTS, however, is a sportier car, and it's billed as such, so the customer base is very different. I am leasing my 04 CTS and will trade it in in late 06 for the new DTS, I'm already confident of that, even without seeing what GM is doing to the DeVille. That's how much I love Cadillacs!
  • thegriffonthegriffon Member Posts: 12
    There are no plans to switch the DTS to a rwd platform, ever. Any large, rwd Cadillacs would be new models based on the proposed ULS platform and positioned above the STS. The DTS will continue on some kind of fwd/awd platform as long as sales can be sustained. GM is hoping to divert DTS customers to the new, more expensive Buick models such as the full-size Lucerne (LeSabre/Park-Avenue replacement) and the slightly smaller, rwd 300C killer.
    If Cadillac expects anybody to switch to Buick they need to amend the warranty so that it matches Cadillac. The normal Cadillac new car warranty is 48 months and 50k miles. The Buick is 3 years 36k miles just loke a Cavalier. The "certified" GM cars other than Cadillac have a warranty that is a joke. It is 3,000 miles or 3 months. Cadillac's is 6 years or 100k miles 0 deductible from date that the vehicle was put into service. Anyway, Buick has never reflected the prestige of a Cadillac and there is no comparison in my estimation.
  • cadillacnhcadillacnh Member Posts: 6
    LOL!

They should have killed Buick instead of Oldsmobile, in my opinion.

I have rented LeSabres, Centurys and other Buicks from Avis during my last job while traveling all over the US and they're a piece of junk. I have never been impressed by them, the interiors are awful, and they are outdated looking and not fun to drive.
    I wouldn't say they are junk but the Century is hard to get into without banging your head. I had a 2000 LeSabre for a year -Buick refused to fix a creaking strut bearing (at 12,000 miles) so I sold the car after 3 months of arguing with the dealer and the zone people and a multitude of test drives. I've had 1990 and 1994 LeSabres which were dependable -good road cars and pretty good on gas in the city for commuting. I also had a 1994 Skylark which was a good commuter and pretty much trouble free. No Buick can compare to a Cadillac. I don't like the design of the 2000-2004 LeSabre and tacking those stupid portholes on the Park Avenue was silly. At least Olds at the end had some interesting cars. The Aurora design was much better than LeSabre. Even the early ones look entirely contemporary today.
    The ULS/Sigma Heavy platform may get scrapped in favor of further stretching the Sigma platform. Sigma can be stretched to over 200" and can house the V12. Right now ULS is at about the same stage as the Cien, with neither yet given the green light.
  • mbukukanyaumbukukanyau Member Posts: 200
    Cadillac should build the Cien to slay GT40 and develop a Le Man race program to slay Audi’s and the Italians. Without a Le Mans victory Cadillac will never get a foothold on the international market.
    A Le Mans victory would put Europe, Asia Africa and the entire WRC world outside North America on notice
  • evokevok Member Posts: 14
    I was told that the ULS is a ad hoc program that could easily be shelved when Lutz goes. Much the same as what happened to the Cien.

An I can confirm that Sigma can be stretched to 200+ inches. From a business case it make more sense to put the big Caddy on Sigma.
    TheCarConnection has spy pictures, including the interior.
  • blkcadillacblkcadillac Member Posts: 47
    I went to the car connection before coming to edmunds and saw the 06 DTS, and so I was going to post it on here but you got it first as always good looking out....How do you like the 06 DTS. I might like it. The interior looks kind of like the Town Cars well the dash does.
    Other than the interior I can't see any change. Hopefully they will improve the base radio which doesn't have as many features as my 2001 Malibu standard radio. It sounds OK but features are nil.
    No RDS, auto tone, auto volume, etc.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    What is the DTS/Deville? I mean, what it's role compared to the rest of Cadillac's lineup?
  • tornado25atornado25a Member Posts: 25
    Volume, effectively. Yes, the CTS is selling well. I could be wrong, but did I see that it's on pace to sell 50000 units this year? I really see this as Cadillac's true volume car--perhaps pushing 100K units annually. I was "in love with this car, especially with the 3.6, until the 300C came out. I consider myself a Chrysler guy and although size-wise, etc the 300C isn't exactly competition for CTS, for the same price you get better performance, just as many goodies, etc.

The XLR is a halo car--I think they built something like 7500 of them and they instantly sold out. And although virtually anyone is an SUV shopper, there's only so many that can toss out 55 grand for 'lade.

I think as much as anything, as was pointed out above, Cadillac absolutely OWNS the hearse market (don't laugh, the elderly are rapidly becoming a very large part of our population) as well as virtually all of the "normal" strech limo market. Nothing to sneeze at. Plus, however "unfair" it is to portray Deville buyers as old, unsophisticated, whatever, the fact remains, the great majority of buyers of this car ARE old. It's not that they're unsophisticated, but rather, nondemanding. They want gobs of power for freeway merge, but they couldn't care less about torque steer, weight distribution, handling the twisties, or quarter times.

Cadillac needs that car to "support" R & D on everything else--the cash needed to develop the CTS/STS/SRX, etc came from the volume cars. I, for one, wouldn't ever consider the car, but I recognize it's place in the US market and respect it for what it does.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to try to eventually put Deville buyers into the high end Buick (I mean a Park Ave Ultra has just as strong power as the Deville and easily pushes 40k at MSRP--if not over), but I *think* many people buy the Deville to say they drive a Caddy.
    This is an interesting message. I think that you are right - the Deville/DTS is the volume seller to lots of people and to rental car companies. I'm 64 and drove Cadillacs when I was in my 20's so even then it wasn't entirely an "old folks" car. I currently have an '03 Deville and like it for exactly the reasons you pointed out. It holds lots of people and luggage, is very comfortable on the highway, and has enough passing power (but for some reason doesn't seem as fast off the line as the '93). I rode around in the CTS one day all over the Dallas Metroplex. You can have it. My '97 Ranger Extended Cab rode better. My '01 Malibu is more comfortable and even has a more useful trunk. It is about the same size, too. The Chrysler 300C is a nice looking car but Chrysler reliability is terrible. I wouldn't gamble with one. The XLR appeals to me but wouldn't hold enough luggage for a weekend trip so it is out. I'm looking forward to something from Cadillac that looks like the Sixteen but offers the fuel economy (on the road) of an eight. The 2008 Deville/DTS may fill the bill.
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    I know of someone who had a 1992 Deville with the 4.9L OHV V8 and later had a 1997 Deville with the Northstar. He said that the 1992 was faster.
    I haven't checked the statistics but the '93 at least seemed faster off the line. The gas mileage on the road however was much poorer on the '93 Deville. I can get 29-31 on the road with the '03.
    Has anybody seen any additional spy photos of the 2006 DTS? When is this revamped model going to appear? midyear? Does anyone know?
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    I have seen spy photos at other message boards that I am not allowed to name here. Otherwise, the moderators will send me a nasty e-mail. From what I can tell, the 2006 Deville will just be a moderate update from the current version. Except for new front and rear styling and a new interior, the car did not look significantly different from the current version - not much more of an update than the 2003 Town Car was compared to the 2002.
    The only one I've seen is the one everybody else has seen. As time goes on there will probably be better ones published. Think I'll keep my '03 until the actual '08 new car comes out in '07. By the fall of '08 they will be selling program cars for 25k-30k just like they are selling '04's now. There is always the possibility though that Cadillac won't sell the new models to rental car companies and fleets just to hold up the resale value. They did this when the '98 Seville came out. I figured when I saw the spy photo that the '06 would simply be a moderate update. The middle of the car looks exactly the same.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    ...Kinda late...it's been around for awhile now--the pics that is.
    Does anyone know what 2005 Autoshow in which the new DeVille-DTS will premire....Also those of you who think that the DeVille-DTS will replace in 2008 you're wrong...Cadillac wont or will not phase out this car for atleast another six years...But there will be car for the S, 7, LS430-(some future highlevel Lexus sedan) XJ fighter...DeVille is still to important for Cadillac. Its sales more than 1/3 of Cadillac sales.
    Does anyone know what 2005 Autoshow in which the new DeVille-DTS will premire....Also those of you who think that the DeVille-DTS will be replaced in 2008 you're wrong...Cadillac wont or will not phase out this car for atleast another six years...But there will be car for the S, 7, LS430-(or some future highlevel Lexus sedan) XJ fighter...DeVille is still to important for Cadillac. Its sales more than 1/3 of Cadillac sales.
    Cadillac reps say the DTS will debut in Detroit along with the XLR-V.
    Will the STS-V debuet as well?
    Also, do know of the HP amount?

And finally since the DTS will still remain FWD will the HP stay the same as the current DeVille-DTS?
    I bet the STS-V will debut at the NY show in April. The XLR-V will probably have the same power as the STS-V.

The DTS will probably dump the base 275 HP Northstar that Pontiac took, and have the 300 HP version as standard. I can't see them adding any more power to the FWD platform, unless they modified G to have AWD, which is possible.
    I saw another picture in Popular Mechanics mag, December issue...The wheels looked a little larger and had more spokes like the STS or XLR.

Does anyone know of any more updated pictures of this car....

I wonder if Cadillac will continue with the various trim levels, though it will be called DTS, will there still like a base model (like the CTS base, and luxury model package)etc. However, I hope all of those model will have a standard power Tilt and telescoping wheel.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    I will consider the new DTS, especially with the new interior and other updates, although the price is high enough that I would have to be convinced it could go over 200,000 miles. Does anyone have any high mileage experience?

I read the discussions above, and saw some discussions of front vs rear wheel drive. Things have changed. Here is a link to a very interesting article, from a police publication:

http://www.policedriving.com/Magnum.htm

and to a video of winter driving:

http://www.dcxmediaservices.com/videoptrs/wms/dctv/Mar04/Houghton- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - _Ride_Drive_300k.wvx

The other vehicles I am now considering for purchase in the spring are:

Lexus LS430 (also very expensive)

Chrysler 300 / Dodge Magnum / 2006 Dodge Charger (on and off my list, but back on because the view out is not bad with the seats set properly, and they offer almost all of the features of the LS 430 & DTS for a low to middle $30,000 price)

2006 Toyota Avalon

2006 Honda Ridgeline car/truck
  • speedluxspeedlux Member Posts: 23
    IMO From the spy pic the DTS interior look similar to last generation Honda ccord.
    I will consider buying a 2006 DTS sometime in 2007 when I can get a used one. It certainly won't be another stripped ex-rental car though like my 2003 Deville. I should have looked around more carefully and purchased a car that had been privately owned or leased with at least the basic package on it - heated seats, memory, etc. I will also opt for one with a sport suspension. My 2002 LeSabre Limited with the touring suspension drives and handles much better than base LeSabres. I don't understand the secrecy surrounding the 2006 DTS -all it is is a remodeled 2000-2005. Nothing much different visually except a new interior and changes to the front and back end. I can't imagine that we aren't seeing normal advance publicity photos by this time. I understand that the model will come out sometime this spring. Used Cadillac buyers should note that most of the one year old Devilles at 24k-27k are in fact ex rental cars with 25-30k mileage and don't come with any options. Most are "Certified" however and come with a 100k mileage protection plan which is a good deal. In my case I had to pay $1000 for the "Certification" which included the 0 deductible extended warranty and 4 new Michelin tires. A great deal!
    Another gripe which I hope might be changed in the 2006. I don't understand why a $30,000 Buick LeSabre Limited is far better equipped than a $46,000 base Deville. The LeSabre comes with a far better radio, Concert Sound, Memory seats, electrochromatic mirrors (driver's side and rear view), and heated seats. Even the upgraded radio in a Malibu has far more features than the Deville radio. No RDS, auto tone, etc in the Cadillac and in 2003 it was impossible to order a base Deville with the Bose radio. I think Deville is missing the boat.
    Does anyone know whether the 2006 DTS will be displayed at the Dallas Auto Show the first week of March 2005?
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    The 300C has the same # of features as an LS430? For shame!

And why can't Caddy get AWD ready by launch? They haven't know for 5 years this boat needs AWD?

DrFill