Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 Kia Spectra/Cerato

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I'd buy one for the sake that it would be the first Kia that turned into a model car. (all the model cars out there are like Ford, Mercedes Benz, BMW)
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I've got a Revell plastic model of it complete with decals and racing stickers to add to it if I want to. I'm planning on starting production of it either Thanksgiving time or Christmas time..looking forward to starting on it. I haven't decided about the racing getup yet for it which includes a small front valance piece for it as well. I'm painting it yellow. Yeah, unfortunately Revell hasn't made any Hyundia or Kia models but it has made the Honda Civic tuner series and the like(which I could care less about). I also scored my 2nd 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 Hot Wheel toy to go up on top of my computer desk "technology display" section.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I have a Hot Wheels Miata, white, pop-up headlights and all. Exactly like my car. Only the wheels look like they came off a Viper.

-juice
    and is my favorite Mazda ever. The new RX-8 is an interesting design, though. In a magazine I was reading yesterday a reader termed the RX-8 the "angry guppy look". Back to the new 2005 Kia Spectra. Hey, bluewinds or carspy01-do we have to offer a reward for insider information on this cool new car that has suddenly sprung to the top of my "futures" list?

an article printed on Oct.2, 2003. It states that production of the American Specta will begin in December but doesn't state WHICH YEAR. After re-reading it I would venture a big 'ole guess that they mean THIS year. This car will be coming out in the year 2004 sometime! Everybody happily agree with me?

• rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    ive always been a fan for Japanese/Korean car commercials from Asia, they always seem to have a greater effect of selling the car....i doubt that the Navigation system will come here, but the CVVT engine will because its already in place in the 2004 Elantra
    not a bad idea since the Mazda 3 will have it when it comes out.
    but definitely not a requirement for me. Will you be able to plug a Gameboy cartridge into the console and remove it to play while waiting in traffic? Hee-hee...I love this new technology! I think it would just be easier to take your Gameboy Advance along and play it separately, know what I mean? No, if it has the NAV system that would be great. Anybody want to venture a guess how much Kia will charge for a 2005 Kia Spectra sedan with 5-speed transmission, PWR mirrors, locks and doors, A/C and a competent CD/FM stereo? I'm saying it will run around $13,500 MSRP. Any other guesses? It's on my "futures" list that's why I'm interested in what y'all think.

• pzevpzev Member Posts: 807
    For anyone keeping up with Hyundai/Kia's upcoming models, there's some spy pictures posted in the Sonata topic for the 2005 Hyundai Sonata.
    Your guesses for MSRP pricing sound about right. If that's what it ends up being then it'll be a great deal. Two things they need to address is fuel mileage and crash safety. I'd like to see improvements in these two areas.
    better be addressed. That's the make or break for me when ever I car shop.
    have mentioned. I'm not even going to guess what either account will be, but if I'm forced I'll say this about that. Fuel economy will be better than the current Spectra(which is just a new body plopped on the '97-'01 Sephia chassis and powertrain). Reason being is the new CVVT(Continuously Variable Valve Timing)technology Kia and Hyundai both are now building into select new models. One of the features of CVVT is better fuel economy. Incidentally, I owned a '99 Kia Sephia sedan and I consistently pulled 30mpg figures with my Violet Mist Sephia. It didn't hurt when I bought 70,000 mile Yokohama radials and Konig Diva wheels to pop on it! So you're chatting with a guy who already knows that Kia vehicles can get good gas mileage. Dare I venture to say that the way they're driven plays a part in how good fuel economy comes out per car.
       As for crash safety, the Sephia, if I recall NHTSA figures was not that bad. Improvement could be made but I'll crawl out on an oak tree limb and tell you up front that I wouldn't worry about the new Spectra NOT being safe to drive in. We'll keep our eyes peeled once the new Spectra microsite comes along but I think for it's size(it's not a very large sedan)it's as safe as any Asian car and probably any car from anywhere. The mobility of the car and the driver's ability to keep it safe are part of the safety quotient, anyway, eh? Good project for carspy01 to work on. Ya lurking around, spyman? Hee-hee...just kidding. Chime in if you have time, man. I'll be requesting a brochure, too, and I'll post what I find in here, OK?

This is supposedly a NA spec car. Not sure if there's any difference or not.

http://www.autoscoops.be/cerato1.jpg

http://www.autoscoops.be/cerato2.jpg

http://www.autoscoops.be/cerato3.jpg
  • caesarslegioncaesarslegion Member Posts: 109
    I like the looks. Almost optima-ish. The best thing of all is the fact it wont look like every other car on the road.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    looks good.
    Front is its best angle. Big improvement.

-juice
    looks in a way like the new Corolla yet more Kia-ish. It will stay in the iluvmysephia1 running for next-rig-ability. Would love to see a picture of the red one like on the Korean Cerato microsite.

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    From those pics (thanks again PZEV!), I like the front, really like those jazzy alloys, but dislike the fat rump. Not too bad overall. I'm sorry if I am behind the learning curve but- is the next Spectra going to be based off the same platform as the next Elantra, and will the engines be shared? Do we know what said engines might be? How about safety equipment? Side airbags/curtains?

~alpha

PS-Thanks very much in advance.
    as the next-gen Elantra under development right now(sometimes referred to as the 2006 Hyundai Elantra). The new Spectra will go into production in December in South Korea for models that will be exported to the U.S. It will be FWD and will get the CVVT engine(to cut down on emissions and get better gas mileage). I would guess that that engine will be 2.0L 4-cylinder for the U.S. The new Elantra will also get the CVVT engine. There has been mention of Kia putting a Navigation system in the console but whether we'll get that here or not is another question. We will learn a lot more when a microsite becomes available for us to review. If you have time scroll back in this thread and read all of the posts and you'll get a pretty vivid picture of this handsome sedan starting into assembly as I type this in South Korea. The Korean Kia site has a cool microsite(hard to understand the text, but!...it's posted as a link on this thread if you want to check it out)that allows you to turn the car in a circle, view the headlights on and off, open and shut the doors, open and shut the trunk and hood, etc. You can also color the car how you want, etc. Pretty cool site to look at even if it's in the Korean language.

else we can learn. Check this out:

http://www.kiamotors.com/UVehiclesNewsWeb/KmceVn01_VehiclesNewsRe- - - - ad.aspx?Idx=196

Common rail diesel engines, a first for Kia. Very interesting. Note what it says at the very bottom of this link. We're snooping around early on this one a bit, Kia motorcars do that to people, I know. Specs and photos will be released as we draw closer to the worldwide debut of this new motorcar at the Detroit Motor Show in January 2004.

is fresher than that last link I just posted by about two months. This statement was just released....I see a clearer and clearer view of this beautiful new C-Segment sedan all the time. Again, more info.(specs and pics)will be released as the Detroit Motor Show in Jan.'04 draws nearer. Here's the latest link:

http://www.kiamotors.com/UVehiclesNewsWeb/KmceVn01_VehiclesNewsRe- - - - ad.aspx?Idx=201

I'll be in Detroit on Jan 6-8 pre-viewing the show as Subaru's guest, so I'll try to get pics and details. It only opens to the public on the 10th.

-juice
    for news about this car. I would think that a microsite would be appearing soon to the Kia America website, too.

I'm having trouble getting back into the korean website so I can't remember if the 5-door has already been shown or not, but anyway here are some spy pics.

http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/42698.jpg

http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/42699.jpg

http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/42700.jpg

http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/42701.jpg
    spy pics of the Cerato 5-door hatchback remind me vaguely of the design of the new Kia Sportage small SUV under development right now. It's those rear upper corners that do it.

door groove is very TSXie.
    Should compete with the Suzuki Aerio SX.

I prefer the sedan's styling, but a 5 door is always more practical.

-juice
    look good. Unlike the Saturn Relay pics which were a bit disappointing, I have to say.
    Great pics of the U.S-bound Spectra and 5-door Cerato! The 5-door should compete well with the Matrix, Vibe, Aerio SX, Mazda 3, etc. Bad thing is, will it be too little too late??

-Mazda 3 is new and ever so sporty.
    -05 Aerio will get an interior makeover, and maybe a power boost.
    -Matrix and Vibe are already set with strong sales.

Hopefully, Kia will also introduce a sport model. :)
    with the front wheel-well treatment and the spoiler in back. It has the "high-back" look to it and with the short wheelbase it has it looks "tall" and sporty. The alloys are looking really good, too.

lancer sportbak too
    Are they really set with strong sales? Im not so sure. I'm a Toyo fan, but the twins are underpowered with 1.8L/auto combination. The higher performance 1.8L VVTLi engine isnt very practical, with its incredibly narrow band of extra power over the base model in the upper 6000s.

In fact, Id like to see the new Kia kick the Matrix's you know what. Toyota messed up, IMO.

~alpha
    Get ready everyone! The 05 Kia Spectra will be unveiled soon!
    I wouldn't call Matrix/Vibe sales exactly wonderful. The Toyota dealer has quite a few Matrix wagons in stock and ready to go while the Pontiac dealer keeps a large selection of Vibes. Then again, the Pontiac dealer has even more Sunfires and Grand Ams.
    about this new offering from Kia. Kia held a travelling sales show to sell Cerato's in their homeland in their attempts to waken slow domestic sales. Early sales seem good but I'll have to check some sources to see if they met Kia Motors expectations for the South Korean market. Really looking forward to the Detroit Motor Show in Jan.2004 and seeing this new 4-door Kia Spectra!

I'm wondering if the 05 Spectra's 140HP will be enough for this class. Everyone seems to be beefing up their compacts. The Suzuki Aerio makes 155HP, the Corolla XRS makes 170HP, the upcoming Focus ST will have more than 150HP, the Lancer has 160HP, etc. Maybe Kia will eventually put more displacement!
    ever thought of making a performance version of the Spectra/Cerato for less $$$$ than what Ford charges for the SVT versions of the Focus?
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I don't think the Spectra's hp is behind at all. You are trying to compare the regular Spectra to the most expensive performance versions of its competitors (except the Aerio). Compare it to the regular versions of those cars and it's near the front of the pack: 140 compared to 115 in Civic, 130 in Corolla, 136 in Focus, and 120 in Lancer. That being said, I hope Kia and Hyundai make a statement by offering a higher powered version to compete with the performance versions.
    This is something that Hyundai or Kia should to. The Tiburon is fine and all, but it's more of a small GT, if you will, not a sports car.

Remember the HCD1 concept? It was supposed to be a 150hp roadster for $15k, but it never materialized.

If they could do one today, for even $25k, it would bring people in to the showrooms.

-juice
    will be on par with the Cobalt's Ecotec making 140 horsepower in base form.
    Hopefully Kia will come out with a sportier version of the car! :)
    a Tiburon-competer or high-performance WRX competition. It is already improved over the Sephia and later the 2002-2003 Spectra with it's chassis similar to Elantra and it's CVVT engine. That engine will save on gas and reduce on pollution. The body is a new design and the little spoiler is cool as are those ridges along the front wheel wells. A very smart design to this new Spectra.
       That having been said, has everyone seen the Kia sports car they were showing this year at auto shows? They have had this one on the design board for a while now but don't produce it...it's called KCV-3 or KCM-3 or something like that. You can see it(you probably have already seen a picture of it on the net somewhere)on the Kia Worldwide site. It really looks sharp. I would love to see them put out a true sports car and possibly a pickup truck in the coming years.

Noticed on another forum that someone mentioned Kia was planning to do something similar to what Honda is doing with safety equipment. Honda has said that by 2007 I think it is that 99% of all cars and trucks will have side curtain airbags and ABS STANDARD. This is excluding the Insight, S2000, and NSX.

I have seen the article about Honda doing this but has anyone seen an article stating Kia was doing the same thing? If this is true then it leads me to believe that the Spectra will offer side curtain airbags.

By the way, I hope they offer a trim with beige leather, nice alloys, and side curtain airbags/ABS. Basically like the current Hyundai Elantra GT except with a choice of beige leather instead and also leave off the black trim on the exterior. I like the body-colored trim on the outside better and the chrome exterior door handles.
    should dump the Insight, as the Civic Hybrid has replaced it as Honda's hybrid model.
    I'm surprised these things were made standard. These are a big plus. Something about the styling though that doesn't appeal to me. It's not bad or anything, but in a way looks outdated already.

One thing that sort of bothers me is the buttons below the hole in the dash. In one picture there is one button on the left side (I think it's the rear defogger) but the rest of dash has a hole. In another picture the button is moved to the second position and now the hole is filled in with blank buttons. In either case it looks kind of cheap.

Speaking of the hole in the dash, I would pay for a cassette player or something just to fill it in. The Elantra is the same way, this is something that cheapens the interior IMO.

I'm also disappointed that it looks like the interior door handles won't be chrome and the buttons on the parking brake and automatic transmission won't be chrome either. Would have made the interior seem a bit more upscale as well. These are all minor things but kind of takes away from the interior.

I'm also worried about getting ABS. It's only available on the EX trim and Hyundai has a habit of making it difficult to get ABS and sometimes forcing a moonroof to get ABS.

It'll come down to pricing and how they set up the option packages. Also how the interior looks in person will be a significant factor for me as well. I plan to keep the car for 5-10 years hopefully and having a good interior is important to me.
    Has there been a press release on the Cerato? How do you know that 4 wheel discs and side curtains have been made standard. This is a very smart move by Kia/Hyundais part, will allow this car to pass the new, dynamic IIHS side impact test without modification. However, I hear your concern on the ABS issue. This car seems like it will be quite the competitor.

~alpha
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Check out the report on the 2005 Spectra from the Detroit Auto Show on the Edmunds.com home page--it references the disc brakes, bags and other goodies. Also it mentions the "new" engine--which by the specs looks to me a lot like the engine in the '04 Elantra. I find it hard to believe that Hyundai/Kia would develop a brand-new engine for the Spectra that is that close in specs to the Beta engine in the Elantra.
    If you go to kia.com you can get one there. Here is a link that should have it.

http://www.kia.com/010604.php
    Here is the one I was talking about with one button but the rest of the area next to it is void.

http://x.wieck.com/pv/WKA/2004/01/06/WKA2004010629232_pv.jpg

And here is the one with the buttons filled in but they all seem blank except one. I know lots of cars have blank buttons here and there in them just on this car it's very noticeable and there's three of them clearly visible.

http://x.wieck.com/pv/WKA/2004/01/06/WKA2004010629212_pv.jpg

I'm guessing this blue one is the one with the body kit and 16" alloys only available on the EX trim.

http://x.wieck.com/pv/WKA/2004/01/06/WKA2004010629354_pv.jpg

http://x.wieck.com/pv/WKA/2004/01/06/WKA2004010629334_pv.jpg

http://x.wieck.com/pv/WKA/2004/01/06/WKA2004010629015_pv.jpg

This red one is probably the EX trim with optional 15" alloys.

http://x.wieck.com/pv/WKA/2004/01/06/WKA2004010629312_pv.jpg

http://x.wieck.com/pv/WKA/2004/01/06/WKA2004010629292_pv.jpg

Other pictures

http://x.wieck.com/pv/WKA/2004/01/06/WKA2004010628996_pv.jpg

http://x.wieck.com/pv/WKA/2004/01/06/WKA2004010628903_pv.jpg

http://x.wieck.com/pv/WKA/2004/01/06/WKA2004010628841_pv.jpg

http://x.wieck.com/pv/WKA/2004/01/06/WKA2004010628939_pv.jpg

There's a few more on that site as well.
This discussion has been closed.