Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Verona

Comments

• zodiaczodiac Member Posts: 9
    Rasup. Have been wondering the same thing with the Chevy Epica in Canada no sales adds or any information about the car.?
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    In Canada, the smaller Chevys and Suzuki's are doing well. The Aveo/Swift is a big hit. You can see them everywhere now. So is the Chevy Optra/Optra5 (Sorry no Forenza or Reno in Canada). However the Epica and Verona are not doing that well. There are more Epica's being sold simply because of the large chevy dealer network. But still I believe most people are opting out of after they test drive the car and notice the weird shifts of the transmission. GM in an effort to save money slapped an ill-matched transmission onto a state of the art Daewoo engine. That engine was designed to be used with a ZF or Aisin/Warner. The original Daewoo Magnus which was a 2000 model year car drove nicer than the current version Epica even though it had a 4 Cyl engine, simply because it had a better transmission. GM took a wonderful car and messed it up. I bet the versions that are sold in Europe are still made to Daewoo specs (search for the Daewoo Evanda in Europe).
  • nace818nace818 Member Posts: 140
    Thank Goodness, I've not experienced any problems with my Verona EX. I love the car. I've had it almost 4 months and have put about 8000 troublefree miles on it. I have a dealer installed rear spoiler,but I would like any suggestions on how to further customize it(such as what type of wheels).Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
  • easterbabyeasterbaby Member Posts: 25
    Hi all,

It's been a while b/c after I got my replacement Verona through the Lemon Law (it does work - the lemon law that is) and after the new Verona got its new ECM, I haven't had any engine problems. BUT it seems everytime I have my tires rotated, my hub cabs fall off shortly afterwards. The first time, it fell off I had to go back to the dealer and get a new one. Today, I had my tires rotated again and then went to get my car washed. Well, an older gentleman came up to me and said, your hub cap fell off but the workers put it back on.

Now either these Suzuki tech are incompetent when it comes to rotations or this is another Suzuki Verona issue. Anybody experienced this when having their tires rotated?

PS - If you are gonna get a Verona, get alloy wheels!
    I don't have hubcaps, I do have the factory alloys. But I was wandering if you experienced any shake in the car. I have slight shake between 50 & 60 mph, especially after the car has sat all day especially when cold. It seems to go away after it warms up. I'm thinking it's the Hankook tires. By the way, I finally saw another Verona after having mine about 4 months and it also had a hubcap missing in the rear. Coincidence?
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    easterbaby-

I'm in the hubcap business and I see this all the time with Daewoo caps (the Verona is really a Daewoo Leganza, as you probably know). The problem is that the caps are made of nylon, which is a very flexible plastic. If you are not careful when installing the caps, the clips bend over and the cap will fly off. You should remove the caps yourself before taking the car for service and reinstall them carefully afterwards. They will fit fine if they are installed properly. If you still have problems, strap them on with zip ties -- that's a brute force solution but it has a 99.9% success rate :-)

-Andrew L
  • ccbloome61ccbloome61 Member Posts: 35
    Sorry, the Verona is really a rebadged Daewoo Magnus, which is the replacement for the Leganza. I loved my Leganza, but totalled it in July. My Verona has been very good so far, but it still has a shudder on deceleration between 45-60 mph. You are right on target about the nylon hubcaps. My mother's Leganza had the hubcaps, but I always told the service people beforehand to be gentle and just ease them back on, No problems.
    pardon my ignorance, but what are zip ties? Thanks!
    Happy to say that I have not experienced the shaking with my Verona. But it does sound like a tire problem. Check your tires and make sure there are no "bubbles". Not sure the technical term if anybody knows what I mean please chime in. But I had like a bubble in my tire long ago and it cause the car to shake.
    easterbaby-

These are zip ties. The one in that pic happens to be green, but you can get plain grayish ones too. You can buy a whole bag of them at the Home Depot for about $5.00. They are "one way" tie-downs...you can pull the small end of the tie through the square thing on the other end in one direction, and you can't pull it back the other way. You can use them to strap your wheel covers to the underlying steel wheel by threading them through the holes in the wheel. The drawback is that you can see them, so they are not the most aesthetically pleasing solution. And you have to remember to replace them every time the hubcaps are removed. A big bag of them will last you a long time. I usually recommend this solution as a last resort to people who just keep losing wheel covers. In most cases, if you install them properly to begin with, you will not have a problem.

-Andrew L
  • beetonebeetone Member Posts: 3
    The comments re Verona (and Epica) sales in Canada by jkobty2 were interesting. What does Suzuki expect, though? It's one thing to consider a particular product and reject it in favour of a competitor, but if you are not even aware that the product exists........? I have never seen any advertising of the Verona in Canada, either nationally or locally. Perhaps there has been some, but I've never spotted it. Our local Suzuki dealer also sells Subaru and frequently advertises the latest Subaru models but Suzuki...?

I regularly read the motoring supplements in a national daily newspaper and again have never seen any Suzuki advertising. Nothing on TV either. Why bother to make the car if no effort is made to sell it?

Beats me!
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    I am in sales and do quite a bit of local travel. It just so happens that I went by TWO SUZUKI DEALERSHIPS today. It looks like the Suzuki dealers are "Front Lining" their used cars and XL-7's. The Veronas that I saw (and there were no more than three at each dealership) were sitting in the back. I guess the ECM and the ill-mated transmission to motor issue is getting around. As nice a car (not to mention the price) I think these are-there is no-way I would take a chance on one! There are far too many issues when you look at the small number that have been sold. I see many more Forenzas around these parts in Southern California!
  • dougdjjsdougdjjs Member Posts: 15
    I agree with you Chuck. I also think that the Suzuki Verona is a good car but in order to break into the market and really make people choose Suzuki, it can't have issues like these because as a newcomer it will just be "creamed" for them (no matter the price because of "you get what you pay for" comments). I think Suzuki has a great product with the Verona, but GM/Suzuki needs to address these issues and give people even more than what they're expecting so that it will be a real contender. My suggestion would be a 5 speed transmission (non adapting)and maybe a slight increase in horsepower (because of the weight to power ratio. Also, spruce up the back end so it has a little more identity to it. Like Hyundai and Kia, people began buying because the word got out that these vehicles were getting better and better. The advertisements will only go so far and then the reputation kicks in.
  • tom willetttom willett Member Posts: 3
    The 2004 Verona got off to such a bad start I'm fearful that Suzuki may pull the plug on the car after 2005. I recently saw a Suzuki TV commercial and it appeared not to mention the Verona as it flashed up the names of the different Suzuki vehicles but I COULD be mistaken. Has anyone noticed any new commercials that mentioned the Verona? Has anyone heard from anybody with a 2005? The car holds such promise I just hope Suzuki promotes it and delivers. Anyone heard anything from inside Suzuki corporate about this car and its future?
    On www.Suzuki.com, they list the 2005 Verona and it now has tire pressure monitoring and side airbags standard for 2005. The LX now has a sunroof as standard equipment. The price has also inched up a little bit.
    Yeah Tom,

I started to think they would pull the plug too, but then it occurred to me that it would be a big mistake for Suzuki. The way I see it, Suzuki would be admitting defeat. Not to mention it would be distancing itself from the new Verona owners it acquired and cause these new buyers to have little faith in the company. Suzuki plans to roll out all these new vehicles in the next 5 years, and the slot for the Verona needs to be filled by something. Also, if Hyundai and Kia just gave up on their products because of poor sales and criticism, they would have been long gone. If GM/Suzuki is smart like the Korean companies have been, they will listen to the feedback and make the needed changes FAST. All the "talking heads" in the automotive industry would just be saying that Suzuki tried and failed in the family car segment.
  • betty_boopbetty_boop Member Posts: 2
    Hi kimweigel, I recently brought a Verona EX 2004. I live in Maryland I purchased it in Virginia on 1/31/05. The sticker price was almost 21k. With the rebates and shopping around I was able to get it down to 16,262.00 I thought I got a hell of a deal until I read your post. I did a lot of research also before I decided to buy. I had the feeling that either I am getting a great car by taking this chance or I am getting a lemon down the road. To be honest some of the post i read before I brought the car was scary. In the end it felt right. I have only had the car for a little over 2 weeks. I am very pleased and still in shock that I got something so great for so little! I got the real pretty sapphire gray. What color did you get? I am glad we both waited to go shopping at the end and beginning of January that is when they have the best deals. Anyway are you still happy with your Verona? Have you discovered how to use all of the neat little extra features? I would love to hear from you. From one Verona EX owner to Another !! Rhonda :)
  • betty_boopbetty_boop Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I just got a Verona EX 2004 So far I had it for 2 weeks and Yes i notice shaking between 50 and 60 mph. I didn't know what to do. You caught my interest when I read your post. What to do about this?
  • kimweigelkimweigel Member Posts: 43
    Hi back, Betty_Boop. Guess what, you still got a really good deal. We only paid about 500.00 difference, which, in the big scheme of things, is really not a lot. So be happy!

I've had a few cars, and this is one of the better ones. Yes it isn't "perfect", but what car really is? I have over 3000 miles on it now, and it hasn't skipped a beat, through wind, rain, snow, sleet, ice, and every other kind of slop. Nothing has bent, warped, twisted, snapped off, or fallen off, and it doesn't look like it will. This is a TREMENDOUS accomplishment for a first-year model. I do enjoy the neat little features, especially the steering wheel audio controls. I also love the seat heaters. The main thing to concentrate on, though, is that this car stops, goes, and steers exactly like you would expect it to. The wheel, seat, and pedals are the right distance from each other. If you think that's a given, sit in a new Corolla (had one.) The Verona cockpit is elegant, classy, and user-friendly. If you think that's a given, sit in any Pontiac and look at the dash. What were they thinking? Yes, we could have bought Honda Accords, but not with seat heaters for 16k. Try cloth seats and a 4 cylinder for 20k. The Camry has a nice powertrain, but the interior is so relentlessly appliancelike in it's blandness, and again, no bargain.

The other nice thing about the Suzuki is that it is easier to spot in the parking lot.

Tell me about some of the neat little extra features you like. Maybe I have overlooked some. I'd love to learn something new.

By the way, I also got the sapphire gray metallic. I call it light blue.

Happy driving! Kim :)
    The Verona isn't really a first year car, it has been sold in Korea and other countries as a Daewoo Magnus since 2000. I have the LX and now have 7800 miles on it. My prior car was a Daewoo Leganza which is why I bought the Verona. My Daewoo was great, although I totalled it in July. I paid 15,600 for the LX so you got a great deal on the EX for 16000. Hope you all enjoy yours as much as I do. BTW the shaking in mine isn't the tires, it is like the engine is cutting out. Dosen't do it all the time, it can go days without doing it then it starts to shake between 45-60. It's not really shaking, but more like chugging.
  • carrinocarrino Member Posts: 42
    Hello all, its been a while since my last post. My 2004 ex has 21,500 trouble free miles,and the only thing that i have to replace is the front brake pads which i ordered from rock auto.com,for 39.98 including shipping. The dealer wanted 80.00 for the pads and 189.00 to do the whole job. Unfortunetly no auto parts store carry the pads as of yet, but rock auto has wagner pads for the verona. I think it is a great car for the money, and very sharp looking. Looking forward to reading the posts in this forum...Thanks
    Carrino,

What kind of fuel economy are you getting? Has the transmission adjusted or is it something you just got accustomed to? Thanks for your input.
  • mm9351mm9351 Member Posts: 72
    Here's a nice feature on the Verona EX. How many of you know about this? (Not sure this feature is on the LX or S versions)

Press gently on the driver or passenger headrest towards the windshield; it will adjust forward in three click-stop positions before the last one releases it back to the first. Nice touch. Also how about that rear-storage armrest with dual cupholders? And the height adjustment for the seat belt shoulder harness? I particularly like the electro-luminenscent lighting for the instrument panel. Overall, I find that the interior is on-par with some of the finest autos out there. True, not perfect, but a LOT of features for the money; i.e. a high value product.
    Have just replaced the Hankook tires that was on my Chevy Epica when I bought the car and replaced them with Michelin Harmony, and what a difference,smoother quieter well worth the out lay.
  • tom willetttom willett Member Posts: 3
    Anybody own or test drive one? Heard from anyone how has? I wonder how they compare to the issues with the 2004 models.
    Hi Tom, Like the other members,I don't know what's going on with the 2005 Verona. My dealer in Baton Rouge has only two 2005s,and they are both the S model. They also put the used cars and the SUVs in the front line and the couple of Veronas in the back. On local commercials they don't even mention the Verona.How would they expect to sell them? I would truly recommend one to anyone.I love my saphire gray EX.(2004). The only consolation is if they do stop making them,we will have somewhat of a rare car since there are so few of them.More advertising would help. Talk to you guys later.
  • carrinocarrino Member Posts: 42
    dougdjjs, I average about 20-22 mpg around town, and when i travel for business, its around 27mpg, due to the highway driving. The tranny has adjusted to my way of driving.
    "They also put the used cars and the SUVs in the front line and the couple of Veronas in the back. On local commercials they don't even mention the Verona."

Yes, this seems to be "standard operating procedures" to put used cars and SUV's in the "front line". I saw this at TWO So. Cal dealerships. Well, I guess we can surmise one thing, that they are not selling-or they would be in the "front line" as well. These cars (Veronas) have been a disaster for Suzuki. It's really a shame too because they are are good value and a great looking car. And I don't car what they cost-and what you get for your money. Who wants to buy a new car at any price, and have transmission and computer issues, and dealers who either don't know or are not getting full factory support to make them right. C'mon Suzuki-were are cheering for you!!!
    I sat in the Verona at the Philly auto show last week. I have to say, they have really nailed both the exterior and interior of the car. Maybe they should just chuck the Daewoo engine and put a GM Ecotec 4-cyl in the thing. The rest of the car is fine.

-Andrew L
    I think they should FIX the engine problem and maybe tweak it for a little more horsepower and put in a transmission that will really work well with the engine from the start. I know a lot of owners say that the car drives much better after the break in period, but a lot of new buyers are not going to know that nor would they be willing to wait. I liked the car on the test drive, but I definitely noticed the quirky shifting and hesitation of the NEW (18 miles odo) Verona. If they correct these issues and do some heavy campaigning, they'll have a hit.
  • rasuprasup Member Posts: 136
    Its 7500 miles on my 2004 Verona. The Car runs fine. There are some things I have noted and I think zuki needs to improve. If you idle the car for a long period eg. when you have to keep the car running when working out in 20 F temp (for the heater),the adaptive fuzzy computer goes nuts and tries to rev up the engine. Fortunately a ride fixes that. Also when someone else drives it ( different style) the Computer again gets confused and takes a while to get OK. Also I do wish Zuki gets more QC into the parts... My brake rotors were replaced being out of round, the headlight started to allow moisture condensation and that was also replaced. My driver window switch went bad and that is being replaced..thank God for the warantee!!!. I have an S model with standard wheels. The wheel Caps are so poorly painted that they rust. I had to get them painted twice.

Other than that no major problems. Zuki is announcing a recall....for 37000 2004 Veronas. They have a defective brake light switch that may drain your battery in 3 hours. You should get a notice..I guess. The 2005 Verona has shown a 19% drop in sales as compared to last Jan. Zuki has however increased overall sales with the Forenza doing well. There is silence as far as the Verona Ad is concerned..Are they overhauling the Car?..New Engine/trans?. I dont like the adaptive trans. if it uses fuzzy and gets confused.

Your comments members????
    Rasup,

I guess if you have an "S" model you probably paid about $15,000.00 give or take. You have had WAY TOO MANY PROBELMS for spending that kind of money. I believe that the best kind of warranty is....one that you do not have to use! It's inconvenient to have one's car fixed no matter who is paying for it!
    <<There is silence as far as the Verona Ad is concerned..Are they overhauling the Car?..New Engine/trans?. I dont like the adaptive trans. if it uses fuzzy and gets confused. Your comments members????>>

I just did a quick search on information from GMDAT and here is what has been released in the Korean Herald:

"The Magnus, GM Daewoo's midsize sedan, will have a successor around the end of this year. The car, code-named V-250, will be reborn with a bolder, more prestigious image."

As most people know, the Verona is basically a rebadged Daewoo Magnus. If this car is going to be replaced then I'll bet the Verona will be as well. So right now Suzuki is just laying low and waiting for the new vehicle to be produced. No sense throwing good money after bad as far as Suzuki is concerned. The Forenza is a hit and the Verona is a miss.
  • hope2hope2 Member Posts: 8
    Hi. I have had a lot of problems to. My car is idling bad and trys to stall. It has stalled once. I am very disappointed with Suzuki, They are not owning up to these problems, They say that theirs nothing wrong with this car. But, there just covering there buts. This is big ,there are so many complaints on the verona it unreal. And stalling can be dangerous. Its sad that this all worked out like this I would love to say all is great, but far from it.
    Hope, How many miles did you have on it before the rough idle and stalling? From the beginning? I don't want to jinx myself, but I have 13,000 miles and have never had a problem. It purrs like a kitten. I can't say i drive it easy either. I have a 60 mile commute from Baton Rouge to New Orleans and I drive anywhere from 80 to 100 mph when I can get away with it,and the car seems like it wants to go even faster. I love it.
    Yes, it seems by these posts that the dealers don't even know what is wrong or how to fix it. I will tell you what I would do. In regards to the stalling issue; if it was me I would write a letter to both Suzuki America and the dealer. Please send it certified mail. I would politely but firmly say that if the car stalls and it causes an accident, then the liabilty will be on their shoulders! Short of getting a Lawyer involved (then nobody wins) I would also study the lemon law in your particular state and see what recourse you have. We know of at least one person on this Bulletin Board who got a NEW VERONA by going in to the "lemon law" process. Hope this helps!
    I have done all that. I am going to arbitration soon and I am very nerves because suzuki has there big attorneys ,ya know! But I plan to give it to them! I am so upset about all this it has keep me up at night. I dont feel save in this car and Suzuki is still allowing me to drive it, I have no choice. It sucks. You better hope you have no problems with yours because if you do, you will be put through hell and back by all the lies and papers Suzuki can throw at you. Im glad for all those who have got a good one, but bewhere, Dont hold your breath, cut your radio off and listen to it when you slow down and when you crank it in the morning. Dont take less, when you are paying someone for more. This is serious and Suzuki needs to fess up. I have mounds of proof that this car has issues. But Suzuki test the car for a few minutes and says there nothing wrong. I drive it every day I think I should know.Well we shall see. If I dont win Im going to the NEWS with this. Peace out. WEll thats a nice thought anyway.
    Yes I have that problem and I have had a ecm put in three times and and it was ok! for a day or so, and then back to its crap car self. I have had it re programed too, and not a help. Let me tell you, Suzuki has had there chances and I dont think this problem is fixable in some of these cars. Why? I have no clue. I know its a crime that they dont know how to fix this issue. And there are so many people who are going through this issue, it stinks.
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    The consumer is never bound by the arbitration. You need to go to them with all your paperwork, registration fees, payments made, rental cars, etc and simply ask for a full refund under the lemon law for the car.

You should check with your states attorney generals web site for the specifics of the lemon laws in your state. Most times all that is required is to provide them with a certified letter (the information on where to send it is in the back of the owners manual), and wait for the response. Since you are going to arbitration, simply ask them for the refund in writing and have copies of the documentation to give them. also will help to have copies of the information from your states lemon law.

Hiring an attorney is premature at this point in most states. In most states unless and until the automaker does not comply with the lemon law buyback request (assuming the car definitely falls under your states lemon law), you cannot recover attorney fees from them until that time.
    Well fellow Verona owners, it is very depressing reading some of these messages even though I may have gotten a "good one". I bought late in the 2004 model year. Is it possible that Suzuki may have gotten the problem fixed by then?
    You know Verona owners and others...when the Leganza first came out it was unknown. However, they have proved to be quote reliable in the real world. This leads me to the following:
    1) So when the Verona was thought out and designed by Daewoo, it was suppossed to have an different transmission. The same company who made the tranny for the Leganza I think.
    2) The motor was designed for the Verona by a guy who used to work at either Porsche or Mercedes. And it widely known that it could put out much more horsepower that what the ECM allows. So, if the cars tranny and motor controls (ECM) were not changed (by GM), would it have been every bit as reliable as the old Leganza? It certainly leads one to think. Because all of the issues have been around the ECM and the transmissions.
    As an owner of a Chevy Epica for over 10 months, which is the same as the Verona,made by Daewoo I can say I have had no Gripes or problems with the car [ fingers crossed ]and I know several other owners and they have had no problems either with transmission, or engine, and I drive in some mountaines and trying roads. As for service our local GM dealer I have no complaints what so ever. But going through these threads I sometimes wonder how these dealers ever stay in business.
  • kctomkctom Member Posts: 47
    I just purchased a new 2004 Verona. So far I am very pleased. It only has about 500 miles on it. I got a fantastic deal. It's everything that I expected. The engine runs well, very smooth, no EFI problems. The power is more than adequate and the high torque output makes it a very smooth car to drive.

Low RPM's deliver plenty of power. This is something six cylinders can do better than 4. Power comes from burning fuel. It takes fewer RPM's to burn the same amount of fuel with a 6 then it does with a 4. But the engine is probably better compare to a 4 banger otherwise, but hey so does the price.

I have had it for a little over 2 weeks. I drive it daily. I have found no fit and finish problems yet. Everything says quality. Everything works.

Both myself and a co-worker drive Suzuki Verona's. He has more miles on his than I do. So far so good. We are both very pleased and believe that it is one of the best buys out there.

I paid $15,000 for this car. It's an EX version. I don't know if I can get into a decent Corolla for that amount of money.

I am still waiting for fuel mileage figures. For mixed, primarily expressway (12 miles each way) I got 20 mpg on the first tank. The second tank did 23. With just a little more improvement, I will be quite satisfied. We will see. Also the tranney is still learning me. Mileage improves as mechanical parts break-in on a new automobile.

As best as I can tell, the last EFI update, which was in October, must have solved the stalling problem. I haven't experienced any of it, despite driving in a cool to cold environment. My co-worker reported that his problems disappeared after the new upgrade. I do not know why the upgrade is not working for others. My Verona is an early production model, Oct 03.

There is much speculation here about Verona's future, based on currect Suzuki promotional activities. Remember that automobile manufacturers work with a significant lead time. Marketing decisions visible now were developed long before the last EFI upgrade was installed in many cars and much before any field data could possible reveal it's effectiveness. The idea that Suzuki will replaced the Verona with a new model, next model year, based on problems encountered so far seems very unlikely. No auto manufacturer works with that short a lead time.

My guess is, that given the problems of the Verona as they stood at this time last year, Suzuki reduced 2005 production numbers. The lack of clearence sales at Suzuki dealers despite large inventories of 2004 models, tells me that Suzuki doesn't believe that it's sitting on a looser. They do not act like the value of their Veronas is in jeapardy.

I you have stumbled on this discussion group in your search for new car purchase, remember that there will always be a higher number of disatisfied customers than satisfied on discussion groups like this. I just hop the I won't be one of them soon. So far so good.

Tom
    Here in KC
  • evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    I am glad you are enjoying your new Verona. I agree that following these discussion groups can sometimes give you a false, and even negative, impression. I bought my Verona EX in October, 03, and now have over 17,000 miles on it. I paid 19k and have never regretted it. I was looking at a Corolla at the time but when I saw the ads about the Verona I decided to check it out. Dollar for dollar, there is not comparison, even if you pay 19k. You can pay 19k for a Corolla but you end up with a whole lot less car.

Shortly after my purchase, I did take the car in for some recall issue(so minor I don't even recall what it was-it certainly had no noticeable affect on the car.) Otherwise, I have only had it in the shop for oil changes. I have not had the EFI upgrade since I am not having any problems with stalling or rough idle on start up. On cold nights, we can get down into single digits in my part of the country but the Verona always starts easily and runs smoothly. In mixed driving during these winter months, I am getting 22-23mpg. The car is as tight as it was when new and everything works as it should. I am still amazed at how smooth and quiet it is. Having bought a variety of new cars over the last 40 years, the Verona has got to be one of the best overall experiences I have had.

My only complaint is this. I wish you could buy one painted bright red. My last car, a Passat GLX, was bright red and was very easy to find in a parking lot. It seems like the Koreans and Japanese save bright red paint for their sports cars. I wish they would change their minds and make red available on other models.

Otherwise, I suspect I will be happily driving my titanium silver Verona for many years, unless I can't find it at the mall some day. Then maybe I will have to look to buy something bright red.
    Don't misunderstand---I am glad that there are some happy owners out there. But KCtom, you took a GREAT Chance in buying one of these automobiles. The discount alone you received should have been a red flag. It's very curious that many report here on this Bulletin Board that the dealers are not putting the Verona on the front lines on their lots. They are clearly not selling. The Forenza is doing MUCH better. The dealers also do not have any 05's in any great numbers. The reason the dealers don't have any are either they are not selling or the factory has cut back on the production. Either way, this does not look good as has been discussed here. As much as I like the looks of the Verona-there is no way I would buy one. Well, maybe at a $10,000,00 discount I would take a chance.
    First Chuck, all life is a crap shoot.

The primary complaint against this car concerns stalling. Anyone who knows anything about an automobile knows that this is a relively simple software/hardware bug in the EFI. For some reason, the EFI is trying to run the engine too lean. This means too little fuel to air ratio. I guess you had to drive and maintain one of them old cars with a carburetor to understand. Peolpe who do not understand this, avoid the car like the plague allowing me to get a great automobile for a steal of a price.

I believe that I have explained why the factory may have reduced the 2005 production run, if in fact, they did.

For some reason I having problems with this logic that I shouldn't buy a car because others aren't buying it. You're like the person who doesn't buy stock during bear makets then goes wild during the bull runs and then wonders why they don't make money in the market. If you want a good buy, you have got to be ahead of the market.

As far as dealers are concerned, I have notice a lack of a fire sale mentality. They a sitting on a pile of new 2004 Verona's that are not geting any newer. You would think that they would want to sell these as rapidly as they could. But they don't advertise them at all. They must believe, or Suzuki must believe, that the problems are solved and drastic measures are not neded.

I get the distinct feeling from your post that you are upset with me for doing something that you would not do. Why would you tell me that I just took a big chance? Ain't going to do me any good to know this now. Are you scolding me? "Shame shame, you took a chance. You bought a car when the criteria that I use should have told any rational person that they shouldn't have purchased it."

Oh well! I will just go back to cruising comfortably in my new Verona with it's heated leather seats and automatic temperature control and feel this terrible guilt feeling knowing that others paid more for their cars because they let fear and not logic rule their lives. It's a tough life.

Tom
    Still here in KC
    "As far as dealers are concerned, I have notice a lack of a fire sale mentality. They a sitting on a pile of new 2004 Verona's that are not geting any newer. You would think that they would want to sell these as rapidly as they could. But they don't advertise them at all. They must believe, or Suzuki must believe, that the problems are solved and drastic measures are not needed."

If they are "sitting" on these cars and there are no-problems, why are they all sitting on the back of their lots? Why aren't they advertised. It seems to me if you want to sell something...anything for that matter you would want it right there in front for all to see, and advertise the heck out of out. Nope, I think Suzuki has a major porblem on their hands and have yet to figure out a solution. BTW, I do go back to the cars of "yesteryear" and those lousy carburetors....
    Evergreen,

So far, that's exactly the way that I feel. It's a great car. I think that the 6 cy engine is a great idea. I didn't want a 4 banger. They rev so high just to pull away from a stop light. I didn't like the V6. I am not a lead-footed driver weaving in and out of trafic. Also, I have heard the horror stories about changing plugs. This little in-line 6 is great.

I was and still am impressed by the overall positive consumer reviews that the Verona has received. It is only .5 point behind the Camry even considering all of the problems that new owners experienced. I really believe that his stalling problem is behing them. Like I said, it's not brain surgery to reprogram an EFI. Obviously this car hit the road before it was ready. My gut feeling is that this is GM's fault. That behemoth of an organization cannot do anything fast IMO.

I didn't realize that GM was involved in this car so heavily. Me and GM cars don't get along. Maybe there is little enough GM blood in it that this won't be a problem.

I have a problem with red cars. I cannot help but calling them "Hello Officer Red." So I got the burgandy colored Verona. I think that they call it pearl red. It's puuuuuuurdy.

Two questions. How long does it take for the transmission to fully learn the driver? I don't really have a complaint about the shifting, but it could be better. Also, have you had any experiences with multi-driver situations. Does this confuse the computer?

Tom

Here in KC
    Well Chuck I don't know what to tell you. I guess by your reasoning, all that Suzuki would need to do is to move those Veronas to the front of the lot and raise the prices and you would buy one tomorrow.

Tom
    "Well Chuck I don't know what to tell you. I guess by your reasoning, all that Suzuki would need to do is to move those Veronas to the front of the lot and raise the prices and you would buy one tomorrow."

Nope, even though I think they are beautiful cars, that ECM issue would keep me from buying one. It's really something how we rationalize our purchases. One of the posters said something to the effect-"Well I really don't have any complaints about how the transmission shifts-but it could be better". I think what this statement really means is-"Well- I really don't like the shifting pattern (there goes that darn ECM again!) but I guess I will have to put up with it!" Oh well....