Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Verona

Comments

• trish_tomtrish_tom Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    I just needed a place to voice my opinion and found many like minds here so here goes. :cry:

I bought a 2004 Suzuki Verona :lemon: in July 2004. Less than a year ago. I was so excited. I did the research and checked everything out. I did caparison shopping and the whole bit.

I thought I had me a real deal. I paid less than 17,000. Title license. and all.

I have had nothing but trouble out of this car. I am currently driving my 3rd rental. I have had 2 recalls. 3 mechanical problems, and a broken strut. I am just so frustrated. I have never had any car trouble in the past so I know it is not just my driving habits. I drove a 1997 Grand Prix prior to this one. The only thing that ever went wrong on that car the whole time I drove it was the alternator. I wish I had it back. :(

I love the body style, It is really comfortable and runs great. When it will start, and is not stalling. I have the sapphire gray, S model.

My problems started around 10,000 miles and have been pretty constant since.

Thankfully I have a nice dealer. I have had all of my maintianence done there and they have been really nice. I have a tires for life deal so that is cool too. I went to school with my salesman.

Any comments are welcome good or bad. That is just my opinion and my car. :)
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    Yes, there have been many, many problems associated with this car. You seem to have had more than your share. It just proves my point that a long warranty offered by the manufacturer only solves the monetary part of the equation (although an important one!) It's the time, the inconvenience of taking your car in to the dealer, and most of all the lack of confidence you would have to take this car on a long vacation trip. It's all too bad, they are beautiful cars...... That is why I say the best warranty offered is one you don't have to use!
  • rasuprasup Member Posts: 136
    Hi Friends,
    I agree with you chuck that a long warrantee is no excuse for poor quality. The only thing it gives is a bit of peace of mind when your car is giving trouble. But I don't think the Car makers feel about the constant mental tension and a lot of time wastage that we users undergo to take appointments,leave work early, brave odd weather, undergo great risk ( yes RISK..when your car malfunctions on a rush hour highway..maybe stall?/erratic idle?/ slipping brakes? etc.) and finally get the fix done. Another few months and you have another stupid problem because of poor quality. The cycle repeats and you have another set of issues.
    My verona is at the dealer once again. The idle rpm was too low and the car used to stop at the red light. On a few occasions, the car stopped and I had to put it on Park and restart the Car. I got many honks and glares. My dealer has been very good . He arranged a rental. Here are the problems I faced:

1. ECM and stalling issue and replacement of ECM.
    2. Brake rotor out of shape and replacement.
    3. Fogging in headlight unit and replacement.
    4. Transmission sensor replacement due to faulty sensor.
    5. Failure of driver power window switch and motor and replacement.
    6. Oxygen or fuel mixture sensor malfunction and replacement.

I was given rentals on 4 occasions. Now I am seriously doubting the quality of some of the components. I like the Verona for its smoothness. I wish the manufacturer did good QC in the begining to avoid these costly repairs. Ofcourse the warantee saved me. I dont know what I will do next. The Car is 9000 miles and 1.5 years old. The lemon law is not applicable. Anyway I dont know if I want another Suzuki again.
  • motorcitymotorcity Member Posts: 8
    HELLO ALL, I haven't been on this board in a while, because as someone pointed out ,most of us that are satisfied with our Veronas don't bother to post comments much, we're to busy enjoying are autos to bother. this Sunday morn, I decided to check out the board. Some are having problems, some aren't. Those of you who are, work with your dealer to correct them, or find one who will. Because this is a wonderful auto, in all areas; ride, handling,performance,features,interior&exteior style,fit&finish. I had a problem early (ECM), it was fixed, now I LOVE MY VERONA! I have 23,000mi the auto is great,I have owned autos for 40yrs. this is by far the most satisfiing ,regardless, of price, auto I have owned . I would pay sticker price to own another one if something happened to my 2004 VERONA EX,Sapphire Grey. I incountered a huge pothole in January ,my dealer quoted $260.00 for a new rim, I was never in love with the EX alum. wheel anyway, so I used the opportunity to purchase a new set of wheels,(RAGE- VIGOR style wheels from DISCOUNT TIRE CO.) They look awesome on this ride. I also simply added a oval chrome exshaust tip to the rear. ILOVE MY VERONA !!!!!! CANT U TELL !!!!!!!
  • trish_tomtrish_tom Member Posts: 2
    :cry::cry:
    I got my Verona back today. I was so glad to be out of a rental and back in my own car. It worked fine for 27 miles then the check engine light came on and smoking started coming out from under the hood.

I'll let yall know what I find out tomorrow........... :confuse:
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    Sounds like the dealer service department screwed something up this time.
  • kctomkctom Member Posts: 47
    Obviously you know quite a bit about this car, Chuck. Just where do you get the figures as to the problems associated with this car?

KCtom
    :confuse:
    Hello,
    My Verona's back after a mass air flow sensor was replaced and all else checked. The Car rides fine now. This is the 7'th or 8'th time in the shop. On the positive side, I had 4-5 rentals and on the lighter side got to test ride a mazda protege, ford taurus, buick lasabre and a mistubishi endeavor!!!. I hope this keeps me away from the shop!!
    Tom, the dealer has not tested the car of all faults. I hope you dont go through more aggravation.
    "Obviously you know quite a bit about this car, Chuck. Just where do you get the figures as to the problems associated with this car?"

I have talked to several Verona owners and the dealer. The number of problems this model is having is beyond belief. It is really astounding when you look at the small number sold and the percentage of problems associated with these vehicles. Hey, if you have a good one, count yourself lucky. General motors really blew this by changing things (transaxle, ecm, etc.) AFTER Daewoo developed this model. They should have left well enough alone. The Daewoo Leganza is going down as pretty reliable. There is no reason to believe that this model under Daewoo would have been any different. The motor in the Verona is capable of MUCH MORE HORSEPOWER, but limlited by the ECM, and the transmission. What does that tell you?
    "My Verona's back after a mass air flow sensor was replaced and all else checked. The Car rides fine now. This is the 7'th or 8'th time in the shop."

The 7th or 8y time in the dealer. One of my vehicles is a Ford Explorer-it's been back only twice in 36,000 miles for warranty work! Once for a rattle in the driver's door-and once to have the transmission solenoid replaced! And this is a new model-the redesigned Explorer (A- 2002!)
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    A glance at the Aveo board shows a bad clock to be the most common problem. Is the car the problem or are Suzuki dealers weaker than Chevy dealers? I guess I could compare the Tracker with the Suzi SUV's to get some answer but those are vehicles that don't really interest me.
    Chuck,

Just what percentage of owners nationwide are experiencing problems? And what are the nature of these problems?

KCtom

:confuse:
    Chuck,

No it is not a good thing. Did I say that it was.

All brands of automobile experiences problems like these somewhere. Without some notion as the percentage of cars that experience problems, the conclusions that you draw are without merit. .

KCtom

:D
    Hey KC-
    Do you really think Suzuki is going to release that kind of information? Remember, if it doesn't involve a recall you will never know real numbers. You must sell these things-do you?

I think you are misunderstanding me. I am a Suzuki fan. I bought my kid a brand new Aerio. It was a great car until he totaled it! I wish them well. Do you know if the problems with the tranny and the ECM have been fixed for '05?
    I said this over and over, the Verona is the one of the best looking mid-size sedans on the market as far as I am concerned. I almost purchased one. Remember, I could have got the loyalty rebate. But after crusing the net and hearing of the problems, I did not purchase and am glad I didn't. I ended up buying a slightly used '03 Mitsu Galant. The shape Mitsubishi is in makes for some great deals!
    "All brands of automobile experiences problems like these somewhere. Without some notion as the percentage of cars that experience problems, the conclusions that you draw are without merit".

What you say Tom is correct. But Look at my problems. This only indicates that QC in the Verona needs to be really stepped up. Suzuki really attended to the issues and my dealer is great. But I think I agree with chuck that the best kind of warantee is one that you really dont have to use. Granted that this is a Suzuki first. But they should have done their home work when they advertise it as better than Toyotas and Hondas. I really feel that the Verona offers tremendous value. I looked at other more expensive cars and many of them did not have very subtle features like the audio controls on the wheel, great rear seat room, great keyless entry on the Key itself, DRL, traction control at that price, speed sensitive steering etc. But the bottom line is quality and performance. Because of the problems encountered by me, I wonder about the QC of the various components of the Car. Many times it has lead to situations that could have been potentially hazardous to my safety. Thank God , nothing happened. So the statement that all vehicles come with problems and even a great warantee do not still make me confident that there will not be another problem in the next 4 months or so.
    This has set me thinking. Also I would like to know what is the general perception of the consumer now?. Would they still buy a Verona after reading this forum?. The sales of the Car had gone down by 30% as compared to last year ( ref Suzuki media release). So what is happening to boost the Car's image?. Where are the Verona Ad's?.
    I still like my Car. It rides smooth. I am worried about its future and QC.
    Chuck and Rasup,

I agree with what both of you have said. I disagree with Chuck's blanket statements, unsupported by facts. When an automobile company sells thousands of a particular model, as all do, the number of complaints reported here on this forurm are statistically insignificant.

Suzuki seems to have solved the stalling promblem with the last software release. Remove these complaints from the equation and the car looks pretty good. Go to the MSN auto site. They have about 75 opinions posted there. Remove the stalling complaints and the car looks very good. Especially considering that people are much more likely to post their opinion when they have a gripe.

Check out JD powers. No big problems. Do a search on the internet, and usenet. No big news about Verona problems. Look right here at the Edmund's site. 9 reviiews of the 2005 Verona, all good. Yes sales are down. What does that say. It might say that a savy shopper with an eye for a bargain can get one on a new Verona cheap like I did.

For those considering purchasing a new Verona, you must decide to what extent you will allow FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) to rule your life. That's an individual decision.

Chuck, your statements amount to slander. You have denigrated someones work and effort publically, without facts in support.

KCtom
    "Chuck, your statements amount to slander. You have denigrated someones work and effort publically, without facts in support."

I think the sales down by 30% speaks for itself. I did not mean to "slander" anyone. So-if you took my statements that way, I apologize.
  • carrinocarrino Member Posts: 42
    :) HELLO EVERYONE,
    I have been reading the post's ,and am sorry to hear about the problems some are having with the verona.I have a 2004 ex model with 25000 miles on it, and am happy to say..no problems at all except for the recalls. I have 3 suzukis, and recommend them to everyone. I love my verona, and get alot of compliments on the vehicle. I travel alot in my business, and the verona is a great car to drive.
    Don't let the problems discourage you from suzuki's, as many other brands had or have problems also. No one car maker has a perfect car. Remember hyundai first came out with big time lemons, and now you see them everywhere. Also chevy and ford had problems over the years and lets not forget dodge. I know irt's easy for me to like the car since i have not had any problems, but be patient and enjoy your suzuki. It is a very nice car.
    "For those considering purchasing a new Verona, you must decide to what extent you will allow FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) to rule your life. That's an individual decision. "
    Well, All I can say is that if you had a Car that went 8 times to the dealer for warantee repairs..would you still be upbeat?. You might say " it just happened in your case". But read the forum and you will know.
    For that matter the question of "FUD" should not arise at all in purchasing a new car. If it does , it only means that there are issues that the Car manufacturer has to deal with and that there have been enough concerns among the users.

I still like my Verona!!! Only hope that there are no further issues!!. I will keep you posted.
    "Don't let the problems discourage you from suzuki's, as many other brands had or have problems also. No one car maker has a perfect car."

Your right, no one makes a perfect car. KC has said "Well if you take away the ECM issues, that accounts for most of the problems with the car". He may very well be right, but as shown with Verona YTD sales - people are not very forgiving. This is a highly competitive business, and when people read about the ECM issue it scares them. So the vast majority will look elsewhere to spend their money.
  • brainfertilizebrainfertilize Member Posts: 46
    I gotta say, I love my '04 Verona S, Sapphire Gray.

I needed a new(ish) car, because I was going to move to Hawaii and didn't think it was worth it to ship my '91 Corolla. My other car (staying with the wife) is a '01 Honda CRV. These are my benchmarks.
    I was pleased with the Corolla, and liked the CRV. My main complaint with the CRV was road noise on trips, and engine noise going up any sort of grade. I was miffed that I paid Accord-level price for Civic-level 'luxury'. Not that there's anything wrong with Civic, for the price.
    I really couldn't afford the $20k for a decent Camcord, though, so I resigned myself to getting a Civic VP for about $14k. But when I went to look at 'em, the dealer had slapped stuff I didn't want on it for an extra $1k, and the dash looked extremely cheap and cheesy, not at all what I expected from a Civic (I had also owned a '95 Civic before). I was also put off by having to go up to $18k to get one with remote keyless entry, and that I got lots of other stuff I didn't want for that $18k.
    So I decided to try a Ford Focus. I'd heard so much about their "precise European handling". It didn't feel any better than my CRV or decade-old Corolla. I felt every bump, and felt like I was shoulder-to-shoulder with the salesman. Plus it would be $17k for the options I wanted.
    So he recommended a '05 Forenza. I was dubious: crap car with lousy reputation, right?
    But I was hooked from the test drive. Great brakes (the least understood factor of performance). Tight steering. Smooth. Comparitively roomy, the salesman's shoulder was inches away. It looked like a Grown-up car. I drove a Verona for comparison, but wasn't thinking that direction.
    The things I wanted required the LX trim. But for that same price, I could get an unsold '04 Verona S, with even more room, more extras, more power, and nearly the same gas mileage, and looked even more Grown-up/sophisticated. I could pick up my CEO from the airport in this car and not feel embarassed.
    I spent a few days teasing the dealership, finally closed at $14,700 with $500 for my trade-in, final price of $14,200. I'll add alloy wheels myself later, the only thing I wanted that I didn't get, and I'll probably get nicer looking ones for cheaper than the $500 Suzuki would have charged me.
    I loved the car from the first.
    The problem with the engine bothered/puzzled me slightly, until I looked at Consumer Reports complete book of 2004-5 car reviews. Here's the thing (and I'd think Alpha01 would understand this, if he wants to get into the car business): most car manufacturers assume: 4-cyl for fuel economy, 6 cyl for power/speed. Among all the 4-cyls, the larger ones have approx. 2-5l displacement, the same as the Verona, whereas most of the 6-cyl have 3.5l or higher. There's no way you can compare that much displacement with a 2.5l engine!
    So compared to the 4cyl, the Verona's 2.5l I-6 accelerates the car just about as quickly (despite the much larger, heavier body) for only 3-5 mpg less. At $3/gallon, that actually works out to only about $200/year in fuel costs, or $1k for the entire time I intend to own the car. The other comparably-equipped 4cyl Japanese cars are at least $3k more...
    Driving the Verona, it is as smooth as silk. It has plenty of power for my needs. I have noted some of the reviews are contradictory, yes, but I'm more puzzled about the seemingly deliberate misinformation.
    For instance: shouldn't professional car reviewers note what I did about the engine size? That if you want to compare the engine, you should compare it to other engines in the 2.5l range? And isn't it then inethical to not point out the smoothness to someone who might appreciate it? I notice that while the Verona is supposedly weak/underpowered, the brand new Jetta has a 2.4l I-5 engine that puts out 150hp and 170ft-lbs of torque, yet hits the quarter mile and 0-60mph only fractions of a second faster...yet no one calls that car weak or underpowered! And the fit, finish, and quality of the Verona surely equals that of a $21k (as tested) Jetta. Why the disparity in reviews?
    Another reviewer complained that the cupholder could only hold a 12oz can, not a 32oz cup. I found that not only will the holder accept a 44oz cup, it holds it far more securely than any car I've ever ridden in! Why the seemingly deliberate falsehood? Most of the reviewers said it has mushy or unresponsive steering...but it steers and handles far better than the lauded Focus, and better than the CRV (which Consumer Reports says has tight, responsive steering). I just don't get it.
    It doesn't matter much, because I bought the car, and I love it, and I know it is simply the best car out there at this price. It makes no difference to me whether 5 other people buy it or 500,000 (except for resale value). But I am concerned that people who should know better seem to be looking for ways to criticize it or otherwise not give it its fair due. Professional jealousy? Worried about looking dumb for recommending an unknown car from a derided manufacturer?
    ...but it is true that no one knows about this car. I didn't. If it weren't for a sharp salesman, I wouldn't own this car. I've impressed all my friends and family with it. They can't believe the price I got (and I probably should have done better). Everyone loves the looks and the comfort.
    Oh, yeah: Hyundai is getting great reviews for its fit/finish/quality. But most reviews also say Hyundai does use cheap materials, whereas nearly every review of the Forenza/Verona said it used good-quality materials. My friends in the car business agree that Hyundai may have better quality workmanship now, but because of the cheaper materials, it still disintegrates on you before 100k miles, just about the time it is paid off.
    Bottom line: I love my Verona, and additions of HP or torque or fuel economy at this point make no difference. However, they have a potential "Suzuki Fanatic for Life" in me with as much as I love my Verona...what they do in the next 5 years will make a difference. If they don't close the gap on Camcord's engine performance to go along with the price increase I expect (they can't stay value-priced forever), or if the car has bunches of niggling breakdowns of minor parts, they'll lose that chance. Hear that, Suzuki? Impress me!
    4k miles, absolutely zero problems with it to date.
    But my Verona seemed good to go "out of the box". No apparent break-in period.
    I got 20mpg city driving from the get-go.
    After driving it 3 weeks, I took a roadtrip from Spokane, WA to Bozeman, MT, then in one day went to Denver, CO...and then 2 days later I did the entire 16-hour drive from Denver to Spokane in one day.
    I averaged 28-30 mpg throughout that trip.
    Impressions: crossed three passes going to Bozeman...the first and second through rain/snow/sleet/slush. The car did great at 70mph, never felt any traction problems at all.

After 9.5 hours turned into 10.5 hours because I got lost after arriving at Denver, I got out of the car and felt totally fine. No stiffness or fatigue at all. And I'm pushing 40! Absolutely the most comfortable car I've ever driven. My CRV causes pain after 6 hours, my Corolla after just 4-5.

The car cruises awesome. I noticed the 3-4mph loss when setting the cruise control, but that's happened in every car I've ever had cruise control on, so no big deal. On the other hand, unlike every other car's cruise control, it stayed steady on 77 mph, regardless of up or downslope. And if someone forced me to brake, hitting resume meant a smooth and swift return to the set speed. No jerkiness or over-revving at all. Moreover the sound system is great, combined with low road noise. At 6 you can still talk with people, but also still hear all the subtleties of the music. I never noticed any wind noise at all, despite gusting through Wyoming.
    On the long trip back, I did start feeling tired at 10 hours, stiffness at 14 hours, and pain at 15 hours. Still, though, with all the driving I'd done in just that weekend, I can't complain.
    I also noticed that the only time the cruise control had problems at all with the grade was going up to the Continental Divide east of Butte, where it was better for me to drop out and keep it at 70 to avoid keeping it in the passing gear.
    At Lookout and 4th of July Passes in Idaho, I tried to keep it in cruise control going around some 50-mph corners at 75 or so. At first I kept chickening out, until I discovered that if I felt I was at the limit of traction, I could just cut it a little tighter and the car would settle in and corner like it was on rails. Huh.
    So the next week, when I drove it to Seattle (to ship to Hawaii), I tried to see if I could make it over the pass and into Seattle without ever touching the brake.
    75 mph and it did it easily, without a single white-knuckle feeling. In the rain.

Yeah, I love my car.

I got admiring glances at it at a convenience store in Montana, and a flag-lady turned to look at it in Wyoming. A friend in Denver said it looked better than a Camry. Another friend in Seattle couldn't believe its pep.

Now, obviously I'd have much higher expectations if I'd spent $25k on it, or even $20k. But I think I'd still be proud and pleased and smug at the value I'd gotten if I'd paid $17k. I think a straight-up comparison to a similarly equipped Camry, Accord, or Altima with a 2.5l engine would make the Verona look worse in numbers, sure...but you buy a car to drive it, not look at numbers, and Verona wins all the intangibles, including look, comfort, smoothness, quietness, and sophisticated look.
    So I'm giddy that I got it for less than $15k. I love it more with each week. I leave for Hawaii tomorrow...can't wait to pick it up!
    Yes, the Verona "S" does offer real value. You got a good deal. Although, I still would have considered the Forenza - due to the parking situation in Hawaii! Good luck with your purchase!
    Well, the tight turning radius on the Verona should keep things easy. And it is still smaller than my CRV, which I purchased and drove there for about 4 months back in 2001.
  • nace818nace818 Member Posts: 140
    motorcity, I'm interested in the chrome exhaust tip you purchased. Did you have to cut the original tip on your muffler to get it to br straight out? My original tip is pointed downward, it seems I would have to cut off the downward curve to get it straight out the back.
  • evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    I think I know what your problem is, rasup. If you look under the skin I bet you will find a Mercedes or BMW there. Someone put that beautiful Verona skin on a German car. That is why it has been in the shop so often. lol I should know. Those German cars are great drivers but mine liked to live at the shop. That's why I switched to my Verona, an '04 EX. I have over 18k miles on it and it has only been in the shop for oil changes. The quietest and smoothest car I have ever owned and I have owned a lot of new cars in the last 40 years.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    I guess the red flag should have went up when people found out that Suzuki had nothing to do with the design or quality control of these cars. Suzuki is just the marketing agent here for GM. At least Suzuki dealers are for the most part very helpful and are doing their best. When we had our Chrysler we felt like we were left alone in the desert. Chrysler and it's dealers were of no help. When they replaced something it was with another faulty part. So far all the stories on the Verona can't add up to all the problems we had on one car. our folder was about four inches thick with service tickets. Problems started at 500 miles and the car was in the shop for something new every week after that until the engine failed just after the warranty went out.. not lot lessen anyone's problems... It just goes to show you know one is immune. From what i hear MB and Audi are just as problem prone and look at the price people are paying to spend time in rental cars with them. :lemon: .
    "I guess the red flag should have went up when people found out that Suzuki had nothing to do with the design or quality control of these cars."

Your statement is only partially correct. It is my understanding that a different transmission was speced by Daewoo (Asan- I think). But a change was done at the last minute to a GM transaxle. I heard there were other changes made by GM as well. The Daewoo Leganza had a reputation as pretty reliable. I believe the Verona COULD HAVE BEEN just as good. As far as the Audi and Mercedes owners are concerned, I am not sure about Audi-but Mercedes sells a heck of a lot of more cars than Suzuki in the U.S. So-it goes back to shear numbers. But you are correct, there have been many problems with the 200 series Mercedes.
    While waiting for my car to arrive here in Hawaii, I've been driving an '05 Chevy Malibu V6 for the last 3 days.
    It has more power, and can really pin you back in the seat.
    But the power is jerky, you have to floor the pedal to get it (it isn't smooth or immediate or in proportion to your pressure); the car is nimble, but doesn't lock in to the turn like my Verona. It's styling is adequate, but not well-planned or attractive.
    It's just not a fun car to drive. I'm totally bored after 3 days.
    I still got (will get) a thrill driving the Verona after 3 weeks.
    It does what I want, when I want, with style and grace. Since I got used to my Verona, every other car I've driven seems loud and noisy. Sure, that's just the Malibu, a CRV, a Focus, and a '98 Camry...
    But even though there will be probably 10 times as many Malibus sold as Veronas, I don't think Chevy should be proud that an '04 Verona is more fun than their '05 Malibu, despite all its horsepower.
    Suzuki is only losing due to brand recognition.
    While I'd love to see Suzuki get the credit I think they deserve, my pocket book hopes they sell just enough cars to make it worth it for them to keep selling cars at rock-bottom prices and excellent value.
    ...as long as they fix whatever quality control problems that contributed to the complaints on this board (although I haven't had a single one yet)
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    Considering that the Verona is really a 2000 model Daewoo Magnus, GM should not be proud at all of the Malibu, or any other model they have.
    The only problem I have experienced with my 6 year old Daewoo Leganza is that I cannot tolerate driving any other car :) . I am sure that you will experience something similar with the Verona.
  • ccbloome61ccbloome61 Member Posts: 35
    After totalling my 2000 Leganza SX I bought the closest thing to it, a 2004 Verona LX. My Leganza was a great car and I am enjoying the Verona too. Just be sure to keep that timing belt AND the pulleys and tensioners changed on that Leganza or you will be WALKING in due time. What color is your Leganza? Mine was the Olive Silver, my Verona is white. They didn't offer a color similar to the Olive Silver so the white is what i got. :shades: ">
    Hello,
    After the mass air flow sensor replacement, the car rides well. My wiper rubber has split in the middle and I get streaks. I guess its time to replace. I want to know if you should replace the blades and rubber or just the rubber itself?. Are silicone wipers better than rubber ones?. Which brand is reputed?.
    I will keep you posted.
    Thanks
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    I have the black Leganza CDX, now 6 years old with zero problems.
    Do not worry I am very careful with maintenance. I changed the belt tensioner, belt, rollers, and water pump as per maintenance schedule. We are lucky here in Canada as GM has appointed a UK based company called Solvit to handle Daewoo warranty. And since my car was under warranty, my dealer did the entire job for free. Even though he showed me that the replaced parts looked new with no sign of damage, It was a good move because I got to change them under warranty right before my warranty expired. That was 2 years ago. So I will change them again in 2 years time, and this time it will cost me around $400 USD.
    My Daewoo dealer is still open, and have bought 2 Suzuki dealerships. So technically they are still selling Daewoos. You can buy the new Suzuki's from either their Daewoo store or their other 2 Suzuki stores. He has been trying very hard to convince me to trade in my Leganza for a Verona. He has even offered to rebadge the Verona as the Leganza, with the original logo's and grille from Korea.
    But after six years I have to say that I am not yet tired of my Leganza. I still enjoy driving it very much and I am enjoying not having to make a car payment even more. :)
  • pizardpizard Member Posts: 45
    I have seen several messages where people have had the Mass Air Flow Sensor replaced. What was this causing the car to do that it needed replacing? I am still having issues with hesitation at higher speeds (usually most notible above 40mph up to about 70mph).

No codes come through the diagnostic computer and the mechanics can't seem to notice it??!! It's something you have to drive to notice, probably won't notice too much if at all in the passenger seat.

I was wondering if there was a problem with this air flow sensor that might be causing my problem?! Or do you think a bad spark plug or wire might be the cause since no codes are coming up? The suzuki dealership I go to is rather useless, I haven't tried another one yet.

I also have bent rim from a pothole I guess. The dealer said it would cost probably around $400 to replace it????!!!

:cry:
    Shoot, go ahead and replace all the rims, then. You can get some nice-looking 16" alloy from American Racing I think for about $95 each through most tire shops. The specific cost may vary slightly, but it's worth looking into.
    Much better than $400 for just one.
    Hi,
    The defect in the mass air flow sensor caused the idle rpm to vary and also sometimes shut off the engine while stopping at the "drive" position at a red light. It sometimes made the car zoom or sometimes hesitate. During these episodes the check light did not come on till the matter got really bad (say 3 weeks of problems). The check light finally came on. The computer scan detected a faulty mass air flow sensor. The sensor was replaced. Now the Car rides nicely but I feel the accelaration is slower probably as the computer is relearning the drive pattern: Every time the do the OBD-2 computer scan on a check light and a component is replaced, the computer needs to be reset. So the computer has to relearn all drive patterns again. This is my 5'th time. So you can see how much I have had to put up.
  • joe999joe999 Member Posts: 1
    Chuck, you clearly harbor a lot of hostility about your experiences with Suzuki, however, I believe you are taking a rare individual case and trying hard to extend it to other Verona owners. I bought my Verona over a year ago and have 29,000 miles on it. It has been completely trouble free and I could not possibly be happier with it. A friend liked mine so much he purchased one as well, and after 12,000 miles he has experienced the same results. Furthermore, when I brought the car in for routine service, the service manager at the dealership said it is very rare to see a Verona come back for anything other than recommended service. This dealership handles both Nissan and Suzuki, and he said the reliability record for the Verona is far better than any Nissan models. In fact, he just sold his Maxima in order to buy a new Verona EX.
    By the way, Money Magazine named the Verona the best value among midsized sedans last year. I would recommend one to anyone.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    interested in things Korean. That's a good point about Edmunds boards not being statistically sound. I've noticed that some Hyundai dealers can still be quite weak, I wonder if the same thing applies to Suzuki.

I came very close to buying an Aerio SX, a car I consider much improved for 05. I would have had to go back to my Hyundai joint dealership and for that reason went with a Malibu Maxx.

For the record, I had excellent results with my 01 Elantra which I gave to my daughter but was much turned off by the dealers sales tactics, plus I had a couple of questionable service incidents (i.e. more than $100 to swap out three rear lights-- front bulbs were a warranty item.)

FWIW-- It seems to me that the more complex the Daewoo, the more trouble. The Aveo seems to have clock troubles only. OTOH-- I have to keep reminding myself that this is statistically meaningless.
    "Chuck, you clearly harbor a lot of hostility about your experiences with Suzuki, however, I believe you are taking a rare individual case and trying hard to extend it to other Verona owners"

First of all, I don't harbor ill feelings towards anyone or anybody. And I am a fan of Korean automakers. I figure competition is good for everybody. However, the Verona is a car that came to market being "messed with by GM". This I believe is the root of the problem. And these instances of poor quality are not isolated-Verona sales are down by 30%! There is nothing like "word of mouth" to promote a good product, or bad to put the skids on a poor one. Like I said, the Verona is a beautiful car-it's a downright shame that it's unreliable.
  • motorcitymotorcity Member Posts: 8
    Sorry for taking so long to reply (nace818), I've been busy. Yes I had a muffler shop cut the pipe just at the bend. They charged me $8.00, which is more than the chrome tip cost, but I wanted it to look correct, not like a add-on. Also the bumper had a curve in it that allowed the tip to fit without any mods. The chrome exhaust tip has a rolled edge and looks great! LOVE MY VERONA!
    Hi,
    I was happy to read your modification attempt. Will it void the warantee?. Can you provide a picture of your car?. As far as joe 999 , Why did'nt you participate earlier?. With 29000 miles I am sure you would have a lot to tell us. Also joe, let us know if you had the great ECM troubles. I am happy that your car is doing great anyway.
    I just changed the wipers. I put in Bosch excel..they are OK.
    Keep writing guys.
  • nace818nace818 Member Posts: 140
    motorcity, I'm glad it sounds like an easy job. I will have mine done soon. But did you see the question I had some time ago? I would really like duals. There is a black box of some kind on the right side where the second muffler would go. Does anyone know what this is? I guess I could start with just the chrome tip and get a dual job later.
  • russm3russm3 Member Posts: 44
    My verona was hit from behind. the 87 year old lady never put her foot on the break she was doing 45 mph my car was stopped trying to go into my drive way.
    her car was totaled (new am made product) She was lucky she was dazed and lots of air bag bruizes. Suzuki not totaled not close to totaled a little work at the frame shop one rear bumper one bumper cover thats it. the trunk lid was not even
    damaged. Oh by the way my wife who was driving the car came away totally unhurt.
    Now if this is not a testimony of a well built car I don't know what is. Safe, Reliable,Well Built and the most important my wife was not hurt. :)
  • charlie9charlie9 Member Posts: 5
    HI GUY's I Have a (1999 ) Daewoo Leganza If You Have The Flow In Air Vent Open What Ever Smoke Are oders Is In The Air."It Will Come In." Switch To Inside Air Will Keep The Oil Smell are smoke from coming in side."All cars have this new type of air flow in.PS my spelling is not that good.OK..
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    A) I'm glad everyone is safe, BUT...

It probably has more to do with the safety design of her car, than yours. In a 45mph accident, almost ANY car would be totalled in that sort of collision. Your car was spared, and your wife wasn't hurt because the _other_ car crumpled, protecting both drivers. The rear end of cars generally do not function that way. If neither car was totalled, BOTH drivers would have been hurt.
  • russm3russm3 Member Posts: 44
    my car did crumble that is why its at the frame shop for some work the other car is totaled at 45mph I'm not saying the brand because of the contraversey it will bring to this form
  • bobberbobber Member Posts: 5
    Any news on what that blackbox is. I thought about removing where the pipe is in front of the muffler and putting on a dual setup.. What you think??
    got just over 12000 on my 04 verona engine light came on and it ran like crap. breaking down on power warp. wife call dealer and they had her drive it to them. 1 hour away and they stuck it on the computer. said the # 1 injector is bad. no parts at the time. she drove it home and now driving my ole beeeeter. hoping after the unhooked the injector that the fuel also stops and dosent flood the cylyinder with gas. Anyone know.
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    That "blackbox" is part of the emmisions control and it is illegal to remove it. It is the gasoline vapor carbon canister.
    what the hell is it doing back there????