Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Verona

Comments

• toymaker1toymaker1 Member Posts: 13
    The car holds a Quarter short of 8 qts. I use Castrol Syntec 5/30 and change my oil and filter every 5000 miles add a container of STP injector cleaner and I use plus gas and my wifes car runs like a top.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Ref MSG 1568. Went back to the Suzuki dealer on the 17th about the idle and the throttle body was replaced and the computer was re-booted. The transmission now has to re-learn the driving habits of the drivers. Engine seems to be performing better now. Also the computer needed some up dates which they down loaded. Hope all goes well in the months to come. Only have about 20500 miles on the Verona. The Suzuki was purchased from a Chrysler / Suzuki dealer in Florida with a DaimlerChrysler service contract of 7/70.
    I may have a problem now that I have moved outside Birmingham, AL and the Chrysler auto dealers here in the area do not also carry the Suzuki. My factory warranty expired the 18th of this month. I will have to wait to my first time needing the service contract to get information as to where it will be repaired. Didn't know I would be moving to AL.
    I can only hope all goes well...... Still a one time Verona owner.......
    Ken
    Veronaowner
    I don't understand all this talk about Suzuki coming with all theese different warranties. This is my 5th Suzuki since 95 and all warranties come with the car from Suzuki. The Verona comes with a 7yr. 70,000 mile and they stand behind it unless someone is feeding you a line. Read your warranty or call customer service.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    There are numerous things not cover by the 7/70 warranty after the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty on the Verona such as the A/C, Cooling fan, Alternator, Windshield wiper motor, power window motors, power seat motor, and some itens with the brakes and ABS system to name a few. Consumable items are not covered under the service contract. The 7/70 is for the power train only as I read the warranty. One has a choice for the service plan and I elected to purchase a plan from DaimlerChrysler when I purchassed the car from a Chrysler/Suzuke dealer.
    One time Suzuki owner
    Ken
    Veronaowner
    Well Ken you learn something new every day. I bought all my Suzukis from a dealer in New York in fact the Verona I bought from them even though I live in Central Florida and they also sell Audi and VW. The dealer here does all my warranty work even replaced my transmission without a problem. The dealers are paid the same hourly rate that we would pay so they really should have no problem working on your car.
  • blkbobblkbob Member Posts: 36
    If I may, I would like to go a step further with the topic of warranties. Although I don't pay a dime for all the engine work that has been done under warranty by the dealership, they do send a bill to Suzuki. Inturn Suzuki "pays" the dealership. Suzuki pays a "fair market" price for the work done and/or deep wholesales new cars to that dealership. Other "kinds" of payments are dealt out which we'll probably never know about but the dealership does get compensated for warranty work. Previously my paranoia brought up questions about whether or not my car is not being fixed correctly because it is a cash-cow for the dealership. After reading this forum I honestly believe my dealership is trying to fix my car because my return trips are making them look bad. Honestly, they give a sigh of relief when a Verona only comes in for an oil change....unfortunately they still look like somebody ran over their dog when I show up. I have to take it in this weekend for the same stalling problems.
  • jpolwortjpolwort Member Posts: 27
    Yeah, I can second that. I think it all boils down to the individual dealership, and their mechanics. I had a multitude of ongoing issues, and kept taking mine to a dealer that was closer to where I live. Turns out, that dealership (and/or their mechanics), didn't know (or care) how to fix my problems. It took a $600 repair job at a different dealer, to fix my problems. And yes, I bitched loud enough to get a refund as the parts were out of warranty. To my pleasant surprise, on 10/30, I received several service coupons for any future work that may (or hopefully may not) need. These guys are great, and their sole purpose is to get my car running - not slap on some bandaids and brush me aside. Good luck. :D
    I'm all confused now about powertrain warranties now. GM just up theirs to 5yr/100k in retaliation for Ford's upping theirs to 5yr/60k. This is after Chrysler reduced theirs from 7/70 back to 3/36 because they did NOT sell more cars. (By the way, years back, GM and Ford scoffed and didn't follow suit because Chrysler proved that gimmick didn't work). On average GM spent 3.5 billion/year paying out warranty work according to the Wall Street Journal, yikes! Do they really want to do this? My Verona is teaching me that I was sold a long warranty, not a car; if you're sold quality you will have a car (and a warranty won't weigh as heavily in your car buying decision).
  • cargirl2006cargirl2006 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased 2004 Suzuki Verona LX in March of this year - only 70 miles on it - I know the Suzuki dealer and felt this was a good deal - Now have 17,000 miles on it and tonight the CEL came on. Also have this terrible musty odor with incoming air but read other postings on the internet stating that this would also be a service issue. In the mornings, even after warming up a bit, it does not run smoothly. It also does not "take off" upon acceleration and when living in Atlanta, you don't dare pull out of the freeway entrance ramp until thereare no other cars close by. AT the time of purchase, I was in a bind and had no choice. I was very pleased with the smooth ride, etc. but after reading several forums, I did not purchase a new car to have to sit in the waiting area while repairs are being made ! This will probably be the last one I purchase and hopefully next time will be able to choose for myself.
    I hated to do it but after reading all theese negative posts I was getting very nervous. Traded for a Mustang pony convt. and only got $8000.00 for the Verona Ex with 18500 miles and decided not to look back.
    Wow toymaker! What's it like to drive a car that is not going to be discontinued and is proudly promoted by the manufacturer? I'm currently in the midst of trying to come to a peaceful resolution with Suzuki to take back their "appliance" after my 7th trip to the service department (and it's still stalling). I really don't want to use my state's Lemon Law approach unless I'm stuck using it. (Suzuki will be paying more in warranty work than the car is worth before 36,000 miles, so they might be willing to listen.) I'm, also, even willing to trade out and eat the cost just to have peace of mind and not nightmares of being stalled out in the middle of nowhere this winter. If everything does pan out for me I will look back on one regret--losing that stereo steering wheel controller. ;)
    Believe it or not I went back to the Ford dealer last night to bring him the second key and the Verona books and the car was outside the showroom being cleaned up because they sold it. It wasn't even there 24 hours.
  • evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    hehehe....and I bet the Mustang had been sitting on the lot for weeks. Gos to show which cars are in demand. :D
    I don't think so the date of mfge was 10/6/06.
  • pizardpizard Member Posts: 45
    Has anyone figured out how to get the hesitation fixed that occurs around 45-60 mph? I have taken it in and nobody can find the problem. I even have the gas pedal vibrate under my foot when it happens yet the dealership is unable to detect it. My base warranty is out so I want to see what people had done so if I take it in again I can have them check that out. My dealership is not good, it seems everytime I take it in, it comes back worst. Such as the hesitation, I never had the problem until the ECM update that was done by recall.
  • tonyc4tonyc4 Member Posts: 14
    I am the owner of an 04 verona, the "most troublesome" model according to the posts. I have 32,000 on the odometer without any major grief. When I test drove my current car I hit 80 on the freeway in 3rd gear, the salesman thought I was nuts (I probably am), I was simply sealing the rings to the cylinder walls for proper compression. According to my dealer all the stalling issues were due to lack of engine compression issues. I still lock the tranny in 2nd gear and run the engine to 6000rpm on occasion, just to work the engine and clean the out the carbon. Much of the Verona's design came from Porsche Engineering (a subdivision of Porsche Automotive)My car has strong mid-range power (3000 to 5000rpm) easily running up to 90mph and beyond. Official top speed according to the Daewoo website is 130mph.
    Bottom line, this is NOT a Toyota Camry, the Verona is designed according to german doctrine, not Japanese or Korean. I may not be helping anyone on this site but I feel I need to clarify what this car is really all about and how it should be driven. If you want to putt around all day in reliable transport buy a Camry or Accord, not a Verona.
    On my 8th visit to the shop on an '05 Verona I finally had a Suzuki rep come out. (I called the customer service number on their website and explained that their warranty bills cost more than the car.) The rep explained to me that the ECM needed reprogramming. I replied that not only has it been reprogrammed and flashed but the whole ECM was replaced. The rep then replied that this was the "new, new, new program". It sounded like a bunch of bull to me but so far my car hasn't hesistated or stalled on me....yet. However it does suck gas like a Ford F-350 4X4 now and it feels like I'm engine breaking when I let off the gas. So, pizard, I would say get a Suzuki rep involved and not rely on the dealership to guide you, it sounds like they just: don't care/want money/are stupid. Check up on your longer powertrain warranty to see if that problem is covered also. Good luck!
  • alienpathalienpath Member Posts: 15
    I bought the full extended b2b warranty. I wasn't going to take any chances. Most of you know my story, going from the 04 to the 05. Believe it or not, after having two issues right away, I've not had any other issues outside of the thing sucking gas like the Dodge SRT 10. Well, I switched to the K&N air filter, drove it across my state and back, recalculated my mileage, and got a whopping 29 mpg. Finally, I got better gas mileage than my parent's mini van.

It's just too bad that the Verona has suffered so. It really is a nice looking comfortable car, my main reason for buying it in the first place.

By the way, my Suzuki dealer also sells Mitsubishi, VW, and Porsche.

Happy motoring,
    Alienpath
  • kimweigelkimweigel Member Posts: 43
    Alienpath, a few questions:
    1. Do you think the '05 is getting better mileage than the '04, all things being the same?
    2. What speed for 29 mpg?
    3. Where did you get your K&N?

Thanks, Kim
    (owner of an '04 EX, thinking about the K&N.)
  • gtsfirefightergtsfirefighter Member Posts: 13
    I have an 05 and last summer the family and I drove from N. Texas to California and averaged about 28-32 mpg. 32mpg came from driving 65-70. 28-30mpg came from driving 75-80+ mph in West Texas and New Mexico. City driving still sucks [non-permissible content removed] at around 21-22 mpg. I changed to K&N just before going on our vacation. You can order a K&N online or buy it at most auto parts stores. You will most likely have to order it since nobody outside of Suzuki stocks parts for these things. Fixing to have 36000 miles on ours and so far so good. Smooth as a baby's bottom.
  • marvinleemarvinlee Member Posts: 21
    Our Verona had a hesitation when cold at about 40 MPH. That, plus an engine warning light, caused me to take it to the nearest dealer. The dealer replaced an oxygen sensor and the car no longer hesitates.

I've now gone over 36,000 miles and the car will soon be due for tires and new wiper blades. Any recommendations here on the tire brand? Is there an after-market wiper blade that fits easily and well?

Overall, I am happier with the car than shortly after it was new. The power is up and the short turning radius makes it easy to park. Fuel economy is not good and that seems built-in, from other posts. We do get good mileage on long trips, even at high speed with the air conditioning on. Local driving with no traffic jams averages right at 20MPH. The engine rattling sound at idle seems to have diminished. The road noise is excessive, and I am hoping that new tires will help. The car's basic concept still makes sense to me. The transversely mounted, straight-six engine concept is also featured in the new 2007 Volvo S80 as a 3.2 liter engine, and a 2.9 liter version was in older Volvo S80's. The passenger space advantage allowed by the transversely mounted six cylinder engine is notable, as a look at the back seat of the BMW 3 series will show.
  • jpolwortjpolwort Member Posts: 27
    I replaced my tires with Goodyear Eagle LS's, to the EOM specs (P205/55R16), around 38,xxx miles. At at about $450, I thought it was pretty reasonable. The ride is real smooth, and I love 'em. I highly recommend them. I've read good reviews on the Eagle RS-A as well. Good luck. :)
  • schavisschavis Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 Suzuki Verona. The gas guage does not register correctly. I will fill it to the top guage shows full, drive 5 miles and it automatically drops to 3/4, 1/2 but never below 1/2. The tank is full...When it actually reaches 1/2 tank it will read accurately. Second problem when all this happens the engine light goes on. Has anyone
    had this problem? Also I have had to replace 5 airbag sensors. Last one was in in the stering. Other problems are parallel to everyone else's problems. I do not want to jinx myself and the car gets worse but I will sure be glad when I can afford to get rid of it.

In the mean time has anyone had my recent problems and what was the solution?
  • mm9351mm9351 Member Posts: 72
    and I have absolutely no problems at all! Is this crazy? I was at my local dealer yesterday and I questioned about flashing the transmission for improved shift quality and the service manager encouraged me to do this; plus he'll perform all the updates and mods recommended by Suzuki all at no charge. He's going to the do new updates on the O2 sensors -- but my check engine light has NEVER turned on in 22000 miles! I certainly don't want to cause problem(s) and now I have some second thoughts about "upgrading" when my EX is running perfectly, but we shall see. Update to follow.
    My 04 EX hasn't missed a beat and I haven't had any updates except one. When I picked it up after its last service, the service rep said they found some oil where it shouldn't be and suspected it was one of the few they have discovered that had a defective head. They ordered a new head and put it on the next week. Warranty covered everything. I have 38,000 miles on the car and I certainly haven't abused it. With the 7 year warranty, I guess if it happens again in the next four years I will be covered. If I had a car with a 3/36,000 warranty, I am sure this would have cost a bundle.

As happy as I am with the Verona, we moved to a colder climate after we bought the EX and it sure would be nice if the Verona was AWD. I drove a new Mercury Milan AWD today and found it to be quite similar to the Verona. With a 220HP motor, I expected it to be more peppy but it barely held an edge to the Verona. Even though it was the top of the line model, it didn't have a few of the nice things I have on the Verona. I think I could get a pretty good discount on the Mercury but don't know if it makes sense to pay a lot of money just so I could have a new car very similar to what I have now but with the AWD. Are there any other sedans out there between 22-26K that I might consider? I test drove an 07 Camry when they first came out just out of curiosity and didn't find it to be superior to the Verona in any area of comparison, except it was a lot more expensive. I wonder if the 08 version of the Verona replacement will offer AWD. Now that would be worth waiting for, in my opinion.
    I'm one of those guys that occasionally rolls down the two back windows instead of the two front windows on warm days. Has anyone else tried that when going about 55+ mph? And is it so loud that you can't hear yourself think? For those of you already in 19 degree weather and have no idea what I'm talking about, it's not that important, it can wait till spring unless you're really curious. ;)
  • jdp3253jdp3253 Member Posts: 2
    There was a TSB concerning the problems with the fuel gauge readings. You need to ask your dealer. The CEL is most likely a different problem. Had similar issues, but they were not related.
  • gtsfirefightergtsfirefighter Member Posts: 13
    My O5 has a clunking sound in the right front wheel area. Sounds as if something is loose everytime I go over bumps. Any ideas?
  • alienpathalienpath Member Posts: 15
    Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I don't check this board very often.

Of the two Verona's I've owned, the '05 was a bit worse at the gas mileage, getting about 13mpg in town and about 20 town/freeway combined.

The best highway mileage I got with the '04 was 24mpg. Again, after adding the K&N, I got 29mpg with the '05 on the highway and am now getting about 16mpg in town. A better improvement with the highway mileage. My highway speed was 65-75mph throughout my trip.

Any major parts store should be able to order you a K&N air filter.

Hope this helps.
    Happy Holidays!
    Alienpath
    I have an 04 verona, my mileage is usually around 22mpg city and 28 highway on premium fuel. I live in the northwest where we use an oxygenated fuel during the winter months, and fuel mileage drops around 2mpg for both city and highway..plus the engine developes less power ( I can feel it )..
  • aksloanaksloan Member Posts: 1
    "Of the two Verona's I've owned, the '05 was a bit worse at the gas mileage, getting about 13mpg in town and about 20 town/freeway combined."

Wow! I'm getting 19mph city and 27mph highway with my '05.... I guess driving habits mean alot for mpg.
    Anyone on the board have this problem? The Low Fuel indicator light stopped working; yesterday was running on empty (needle on E) but light failed to illuminate. Not a big deal, but almost ran out of gas, I was just not paying attention. :blush:

Otherwise my Verona EX continues to be an excellent car all-around, smooth, powerful, and just a reliable, comfortable mode of transportation.

Don't be misled by the negative posts; this is really a great car.
  • marvinleemarvinlee Member Posts: 21
    I replaced the 205/55/16 tires on my Verona EX with Goodyear Assurance Comfortred tires. Despite the contrary recommendation of the tire salesperson, I changed the tire size to 205/60/16. The increased height plus the Comfortred design makes the car noticeably quieter on our rough Oregon gravel road. It rides noticeably better, also. I like the looks of the car better with the wheel wells filled out a bit more.

The middle number of the tire dimensions refer to the tire height--on just one side, not both sides added--as a percentage of the tire width. For the 60 versus 55 sidewall height, the final total difference in tire height is about.82 inches. My difference was a bit more because the old tires had worn off most of the tire tread. I am happy with my tire choice, however other excellent choices exist.
    I agree. My 04 EX has been a great car. Regarding the Low Fuel Light, i rarely let the gas get that low but have a few times. As I recall, the light is kind of hard to see in bright light. Also, it seemed to turn off after a while and didn't stay lit until I got some gas. So if I missed that period when it was on, it would appear to be not working. I don't know if that is the way it is suppose to be, but mine has always been that way. Seems a little odd, but every car has its quirks.
    How many miles did you get on the originals? I have 34,000 on mine and they look like they will last another 7-10k. The car is so darned quiet (motor and wind) that about all you hear are the tires. I would imagine that when you wear out one set, the new ones will always be quieter
  • lmartellmartel Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I bought our 2005 Verona new in march of 05 and now have 18000 miles on it, overall we very happy with it. I started getting concerned when I noticed Suzuki was not going to have a 2007 model so did a google search and found this site. I see why they axed it, I have noticed a few sputtering issues on 4 different occasions I thought it was bad gas. When I took it to the dealer for my 15000 mile oil change I told the service manager about it and they of course could not find anything wrong. Now that I found this site I see just about everyone is have the SAME problems. Why cant suzuki figure it out? They must know they have a problem or they would not have cut the car that soon. I now run 89 oct in it and have not had any problems so far. It sounds to me this German engineered engine has compression issues. Despite all this I still like the car, im looking forward to the 08 but I see it is still built in Korea. If I trade in it wont be until 08, prob will a big hit on the trade in value but I wont keep this car passed 36000 miles or march of 08 when my bumber to bumber is up. In college I had a 1991 VW GTI and it was only a few years old and it had the same engine problems with no dealer resolve.
  • liyahliyah Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday my check engine soon light came on. I also had a head light out at the same time. My Verona has 47,000 miles on it, it is an 04'. I found out that the check engine soon light came on because of the coil went out in it. I am only running on 5 cylinders instead of 6. The place that we purchased the car from was a Ford dealer, they quit dealing with Suzuki soon after we got the car. I used to go out to Dodge in Florence,KY and get my parts and have my car serviced. But I just found out that they quit dealing with Suzuki. I tried contacting another Suzuki dealing in Cincinnati, OH but they haven't got back with me.
    Does any one know where I can get a coil? It seems to me like it is going to be hard to fix these cars if no one can get the parts. I have a mechanic that has called alot of places looking for that part with no luck.

I live around the Cincinnati are in Northern KY if any one can help. My car sounds sick and I am hoping I can find the part soon, hopefully they won't have to order it from Japan (that is what the dealer used to tell me)
  • larsguestlarsguest Member Posts: 3
    Here is an online source for parts I Found. They seem to have a good selection.

http://suzukipartspeople.com/
    Wow, excellent site (suzukipartspeople.com) Nice to know what were up against if something breaks. Coilpacks are $52.
    After reading some of the posts I highly recommend using premium fuel, I use 91 octane. When I have used regular grade the engine felt weak and unresponsive. If your interested in power I recommend the following changes, remove the weather-strip in front of the intake. It's a 5 inch strip and takes a minute to remove. I also removed the intake resonator located behind the inner fenderwell, this was difficult but the skinned knuckles are worth it. Now the engine can breathe properly. I also replaced the stock muffler (more of an exhaust plug) with a magnaflow straight thru muffler ($150) dont worry, it's as quiet as the standard muffler. Good results, no more wheezing, plus the car now storms up illegal speeds, effortlessly..There's not much in it at redline but the mid-range is excellent, just like a straight six should be. Mileage has also improved slightly..a win-win result...
  • poulsbokidpoulsbokid Member Posts: 13
    :sick: :sick: :sick: I have had my new car into the dealer 6 times 4 times for the same thing. There is less that 6000 miles on it had it over a year cause I am scared to drive it far. I loose power and the engine light flashes on. They have changed, re booted computer even changed plugs and still not fixed the problem. Upon researching this car I have found 2 others with the same problems but no follow ups.
    poulsbokid, at 6000 miles I'd check the Lemon Laws if they're available in your state; that would be my first suggestion. If you qualify, try to return that "appliance" back to Suzuki. Second, if consumer laws aren't your answer, get a Suzuki rep out to your dealership. It sounds like a typical case of the service department not caring how many times you come back(not to say the rep will be anymore sympathetic). Third, and this is the worst option, eat the cost, trade out and save yourself years of ulcers.
    They will continue to replace, flash and reprogram the computers, replace components and your car will still stall out. You'll only succumb to a life of constantly taking time off from work to get your car fixed, seeing the service staff more than your family and fear of pulling into traffic. BUT WHATEVER YOU DO, KEEP ALL PAPERWORK AND DOCUMENT EVENTS. On another note, you must not have read back far enough, more than 2 people have your problem. Also, in case you didn't know, the Korean plant that made the Verona was publically blasted for quality problems by Suzuki HQ. Being discontinued after a run for three years also for poor marketing and sales probably doesn't help your digestion either, does it poulsbokid? In case you think I'm an anti-foreign car geezer I'm just reiterating what I have already been through: 11 visits for my 2005 Verona with 17,000 miles for power loss and engine stalling. Suzuki still can find the answer to my (our) problems and only gave me an extended warranty on the engine if the same problem arises after 36,000 miles. Unfortunately I'm going to follow my own advice and eat the cost and trade out. :(
    This NY winter has been rough on my Verona. While most would say it's been relatively mild, the last few weeks of cold temperatures / snow / ice has eventually worked its way into the LHS headlight assembly. The entire lens had become fogged out with moisture droplets. I've seen a few others on this board with the same problem, but needlessly replaced the assy ($$$). But I have a fix (and it's free). Open the hood, remove the 3 headlight attachment screws; remove the two electrical harnesses, work the assembly out of the grill / bumper. Next remove the rear hatch covered by two wire clamps, remove the high beam bulb, insert a hair dryer in the bulb port set to high to heat the entire inner volume, then blow out using high compressed air. Let the unit "vent" in a warm room with the bulb and rear hatch removed for a few hours, and the condensation completely clears!

As a final note, my 04 EX with 26.5K totally trouble-free miles still looks / drives like new! After the headlight repair I changed the oil and filter; rotated the tires (still original); self- installed the pre-painted color matched rear spoiler w/ LED brake light on ebay for $142 and added the trunk convenience net. Then I detailed the entire car with McGuires #2 and removed with a buffing wheel. The paint still shines like glass.

I know not everyone on this board shares this opinion, but the Verona continues to impress all who see & drive in it. Everyone comments how strong the engine feels. The inline 6 definitely likes to be pushed hard and delivers torque smoothly and efficiently. Although hp is only rated 155, torque is up around 180 ft lb and you really feel it kick in at any rpm, particularly with the latest flash on my transmission TCM.

Coming up on 3 years with the Verona and I have absolutely no regrets!
    :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
    Well since I last posted my car has been in the shop for 2 weeks. My husband called and the parts just showed up that day and its suppose to be fixed today.... We shall see I am keeping all the fix slips but none of them say the same thing even though I have brought it in for the same thing. Since this is a safety issue I am starting the paper work to have it be bought back.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter with a large local newspaper is hoping to talk to consumers who just purchased a Suzuki vehicle. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, March 23, 2007 with your daytime contact info.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Well got the car back 18 days later and the person who wrote it up wrote on the fix list that it had been brought in 3 previous times for the same thing. so yea for my side. they put 100 miles on it and use a 1/4 tank of gas. replaced oxygen sensor again and the catalytic converter so time will tell.
  • dmustaynedmustayne Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new 2006 Verona with 17 miles on it in March 2007. At 1,100 miles the engine light came on followed by the engine jerking on the highway and engine stalling at complete stops. The dealership refunded my money only after I got my finance company involved. The finance company had not cut a check for the dealership yet and threatened not to if the dealership sold me a non-working car. And then I come across this forum and others!! My God, I thought I bought just a rare bad apple but now I read that I didn't. I guess I'm lucky this happened so early. I think I would have been more enraged than I already am if this happened to me at 20k miles or, worse, after 36k miles. If the Verona was supposed to be their flagship then I feel sorry not just for their 'victims' but for the Suzuki Corporation.
  • pasukpasuk Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2005 Verona that has visited the dealership at least 8-10 times over the course of 2 years. I too have experienced many of the problems that others have shared through this forum: irratic idoling, loss/surge power, gas pedal vibrating underfoot, stalling, etc. I have had the car in at least one other time for the above problems. Recently the problem has become much worse. I am headed once again to the dealership. Before I do so, any suggestions for a frustrated Verona owner? At 28,000 miles, I am closing in to the completion of the 36,000 warranty.

Should I get the Suzuki regional rep involved now? How do I track down the total cost of repairs to date that have been completed under warranty? Should I be pushing for an extended warranty now?

As I said, closing in on 36,000 miles fast and after reading this forum am very concerned. Advice welcome.
    Well in my case it has been the same thing for the last four times to the dealer. They had it for 3 weeks last time. they changed the catalytic converter and oxygen sensors this last time. So far so good. I do think if you had that many problems to get them involved it really sucks that I spend most of my time waiting for my new car to be fixed. I have almost 7000 miles on it and I have had it for 16 months. Good luck and check out the lemon laws in your state for what you have to do. It takes months here in Washington.
    pasuk, first thing you should do is get your hands on every repair bill involved with the car. The service department should have gave you a copy each trip--whether or not they fixed anything. If you didn't retain go back and ask for a copy of each, at the minimum a printout of the repair history. Don't take excuses if they resist, the most important thing is that you show proof you are taking care of your car. Secondly, if the service department can't fix your stalling issues, get a Suzuki rep on the phone--(800)934-0934. Being that stalling is a bonified safety issue, you have every right to get them involved right here and now. Third, bone up on your State's Lemon Law for worst case scenarios, Suzuki replacing,buying back or repaying you for their "appliance" is very, very rare. And lastly, when you do take it in, do it when the car is solidly acting up. If problem is sporadic and the car plays "nice" in front of the mechanic, they are not going to do anything and then you're sent on your merry way stuck driving around nervously waiting for the next tantrum. From one unlucky '05 Verona owner to another the only other advice I can give is: Good luck! I'm going through the same thing after 13 repair visits and I only owned the car for 11 months.
    Why can't Suzuki figure it out? Imartel, I have a theory (albeit, a cynical paranoid one) about Suzuki Corporation and the Verona line. It starts with:

GM buys bankrupt Daewoo and it's plants. GM wants to make good on it's Daewoo investment so it decides to relaunch one of Daewoo's bankrupt designs--the Verona. GM has a 20% stake in Suzuki, inturn, GM suggests(?) Suzuki slap their emblem on the Verona. Suzuki agrees but never asks why GM doesn't use theirs (hmmm). Many quality issues, poor safety ratings and poor marketing strategies later, Suzuki loses face because of the Verona. Suzuki tells the world that Veronas are not really Suzukis but Daewoos and should not be considered as part of their good standing. GM lowers their ownership of Suzuki down from 20% to 3%, but they call it "restructuring" instead of "leaving Suzuki holding the bag". Suzuki now feels they are left holding the bag. But Suzuki is shrewd and makes lemonade out of lemons [excuse the pun Verona owners]. Suzuki realizes that GM is now powerless over them and they can do anything they want with the Verona. Suzuki promptly displays "Verona replacements" at every Asian and European auto show(hmm)and promises this version will have more luxury, power and cupholders. Suzuki cries "Sike!" and promptly shoves it under the rug. They vow never to make a sedan for 3 years. For good measure, Suzuki makes sure not to mention Verona in any of their Annual Reports. Besides, who would remember a poor selling car with quality problems that wasn't marketed and only had a run of 2.3 years. Problem solved, almost. Apparently there were some witnesses customers that bought some. Suzuki designs a "Just Smile & Nod" strategy for handling these owners' complaints. And why should Suzuki worry, in their eyes they didn't sell enough Veronas for a class action lawsuit (hint), let alone a full recall (hint, hint!). ;)