Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Verona

Comments

• pasukpasuk Member Posts: 9
    Thanks so much for your advice! I have kept each service invoice to date. I just hate that I feel the invoice doesn't always truly reflect the issues I have reported. I feel my service department is very good at making me look like an idiot! The invoice sometimes states "Customer complains of idoling problems" and never reflects the 8 other issues I have indicated to the service department. I'm hoping this won't hurt my case.

Next steps are to research the Lemon Laws and contact a service rep.
  • poulsbokidpoulsbokid Member Posts: 13
    well my dealer did the same thing but the last time I brought it in I told the lady at the desk that this was the 4th time for the same thing at it was a safety issue and I wanted that to reflect in the work order and it is in there so the other sheets might not say that but this last one does.
    Good luck
  • mm9351mm9351 Member Posts: 72
    :( Anyone experience their passenger interior door handle (pull) with a "peeling" finish? The correct look is for a satin black /soft-to-touch feeling handle. Due to routine use, along with heat / cold / and oils from one's skin, the finish has worn off in an irregular pattern. Is there a Suzuki update campaign covering this? Have not yet spoken to the dealer. Driver doesn't get a handle so it's not an issue; also backseat & rear doors never get used, so handles still look brand new. IMO, it's mostly a cosmetic issue, not a big deal.
  • gtsfirefightergtsfirefighter Member Posts: 13
    I have an 05 Verona and overall, I love the car. It's silky smooth and I haven't had any of the mechanical issues that others on here have had. But recently have had suspension issues. The right front strut mount went bad causing a bad knock in the front end. At 45000 miles, I am out of my 36k bumper to bumper but the dealership fixed it for me at no charge. Then last week, the left rear starting sounding like it was coming apart. I took in to have it looked at and most of the bolts on the lower suspension were loose and had to be retorqued. They charged me for that! Oh well. Like I said, overall I'm pleased and I have to be. I couldn't get a decent trade on this if I wanted to so we're stuck with it until it's paid for or wrecked.
  • gtsfirefightergtsfirefighter Member Posts: 13
    Well my wife was antsy so we traded the Verona today and bought an 07 Grand Vitara. Yes, we got bent over with negative equity but thankfully, with all the incentives offered on the GV, it covered just about all of that. I have to admit, a weight feels like it has been lifted off of my shoulders. I loved that car and will miss it but feel better about not having to worry about it. I might pick one up in a couple of years to use for a work driver. They should be really cheap by then.
  • esalazaresalazar Member Posts: 21
    I filed a claim under the lemon law, and finally after all the drama I turned it in on May 16, 2007. I had taken this car in for the same thing "Check Engine" 5x's, only had 37,332 miles on it I got it at 23,900 miles. I really liked my car so much. Just not enough to deal with all the problems it has, aside of the "check engine", but also the suspension was real bad on it, and needless to say the lack of speed.:lemon:I can say what was good about it was the stereo system and the nice interior, and interior light and its locations. So many attempt to have fix, I think its time to pull the plug on it. Now I'm just waiting to have loan paid off so I can get me a Ford.
  • poulsbokidpoulsbokid Member Posts: 13
    mine seems to be fixed at the moment but it took 4 or 5 fill ups to get problems again so wee shall see. I will file next time myself for sure Glad to here.

Diana
    4 or 5 thats to many times already, but hopefully its fixed, u dont want to let to many or much time go by tho. I filed since Jan.07 and already in May. If we had $ I would of definately traded in the car for another. I think we would of gotten a better deal than going thru the claim. But oh well lesson learned. Well good luck, I hope ur car is fixed.
  • evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    I bought a new Verona EX when they first came out in late 2003. We have realy enjoyed the car and have had no problems that caused us any angst. However, last October when I took the car in for servicing, the service advisor told me the ey found a little oil film in the spark plug socket area which indicated there may be a problem with the head. They had consulted with Suzuki and were told to install a new head. The work was performed at no cost to me. I understand it cost them about $3500 to replace the head. I took the car in for service in March of this year and they told me I didn't have any oil pressure which meant that some internal parts may have been damaged. Again, the car had been performing beautifully and the oil light had never come on. They decided, without any prompting from me, to replace the whole engine ($7500). When they installed the new engine, they apparently messed up some "o-ring" relating to the air conditioning and the freon leaked out so the air conditioning wasn't working. I returned the car to the dealer in May and noted that I also observed a couple drops of oil on my garage floor so they might want to check that out. They called back and said the engine was "throwing oil" and that they were going to replace the engine again (another $7500). The dealer has provided me with a free loaner while the engines were being replaced and none of this has cost me a penney. I live only 10 minutes from the dealer so it hasn't cost me a lot of time, either. I have been buying new cars for over 40 years and have never had this kind of experience before. I joked with the service advisor that they should just give me a new Cadillac because with a few more years on the warranty this could be rather expensive for Suzuki. Suzuki has almost as much money in the car now as I paid for it.

Now I have heard that warranty work can be very lucrative for the dealer but this seems a little ridiculous. I find it hard to believe a dealer could get away with this sort of hanky-panky for long. On the other hand, It is hard to belive a car would need two new engines in a couple of months. I still love the car and the service has been nothing short of outstanding. Anyone else have a similar experience or any thoughts?
    I bought a new Verona EX when they first came out in late 2003. We have realy enjoyed the car and have had no problems that caused us any angst. However, last October when I took the car in for servicing, the service advisor told me they found a little oil film in the spark plug socket area which indicated there may be a problem with the head. They had consulted with Suzuki and were told to install a new head. The work was performed at no cost to me. I understand it cost them about $3500 to replace the head. I took the car in for service in March of this year and they told me I didn't have any oil pressure which meant that some internal parts may have been damaged. Again, the car had been performing beautifully and the oil light had never come on. They decided, without any prompting from me, to replace the whole engine ($7500). When they installed the new engine, they apparently messed up some "o-ring" relating to the air conditioning and the freon leaked out so the air conditioning wasn't working. I returned the car to the dealer in May and told them that I also observed a couple drops of oil on my garage floor so they might want to check that out. They called back and said the engine was "throwing oil" and that they were going to replace the engine again (another $7500). The dealer has provided me with a free loaner while the engines were being replaced and none of this has cost me a penney. I live only 10 minutes from the dealer so it hasn't cost me a lot of time, either. I have been buying new cars for over 40 years and have never had this kind of experience before. I joked with the service advisor that they should just give me a new Cadillac because, with a few more years on the warranty, this could be rather expensive for Suzuki. Suzuki has almost as much money in the car now as I paid for it.

Now I have heard that warranty work can be very lucrative for the dealer but this seems a little ridiculous. I find it hard to believe a dealer could get away with this sort of hanky-panky for long. On the other hand, It is hard to belive a car would need two new engines in a couple of months. I still love the car and the service has been nothing short of outstanding. Anyone else have a similar experience or any thoughts?
    evergreen, I became quite uneasy after reading your post. :( Sorry to hear about your latest troubles. For one thing, during your October service what made the dealer inspect the spark plug socket area? Surely a spark plug replacement could not be required. It seems as though they took a perfectly running car and headed it into a downward spiral of (probably) unnecessary repairs. The issue is not that there were no out of pocket expenses, but you're relying on the integrity of the service dept. for major, major repairs. Let's see, a new head, new engine, new a/c parts, you've been without the car for days...weeks? You are a very patient person indeed. Good thing you have a great deal of trust with your dealer. Some of the Suzuki dealers in the NY area have been less than stellar. I brought my 04 XL7 for a routine oil change and believe it or not they missed the oil filter. (I've done it myself in the past, a real knuckle scraper, but got it done.) I just did the oil on my Verona EX today, because I trust my abilities better than the dealer. At least I'm sure I get quality name brand oil (5W30) and the right quantity @ 6.8 qts. At 30K miles it still runs / looks like new. Knowing this, if my dealer told me I need a new engine, I'd tell him I'll get another opinion before he performs major surgery. And if indeed he was right, even though I love my EX I'd be trading it in tomorrow! I wish you luck!
    yes exactly what u wrote, ok with mine car first computer ok, see i have my own tool to check the sensors rite. well before i take to shop i had checked it,i got misfire on 1 cylnder, and another that i cant remember. anyways didnt say anything about that. well advisor stated that it was a blown fuse. ok, i thought scan tool i got maybe no good cus its generic, and the fact that im a female dont know what i'm doing rite? ok second time check engine i again check. exact same thing 0301 code misfire. and other that i cannot remember what it is.lol anyways this really made me mad because blown fuse had nothing to do with it. what they did was pulled out fused clear codes. yes i am female, and yes i do know about cars, my cars that is when it needs fixing. they are mine and i trust me. so when i go to repair shops to have something done. Suzuki advisors or whatever knew that ok i knew what i was talking about. didnt give me bs from the second time i made clear about the fuse thing. i told them what i did and ok so its a cheap scan tool but funny how the codes that came up when it was at the shop were the same ones that i had come up with when i checked myself before taken. see thats how i find out ok what is really going on here. and boy did i find out. lol anyhow dont want to make this long. but then next time computer replaced, then again the head, at one time so call the motor went out. and about the suzuki warranty u mentioned lol u are so right its costing suzuki. lol. i dont know if us seen how i mentioned on my message about getting a ford. oh i have had the worse experience at two dealerships 5/28 Mazda and Ford.You know what i think is funny that my friend says ur red flagged all dealers heard about u, they dont want to deal w/u. well guess what mazda, mitsu, suzuki, and ford. lol up to this day I still havent got a new car. well wish me luck. take care
  • blkbobblkbob Member Posts: 36
    In regards to the dealership padding the warranty bills to Suzuki, I also wondered about this. I found out later that Suzuki doesn't use money, per se, to pay for their warranty bills. The dealership usually gets paid in discounted inventory, first dibs on new models, etc. And even if Suzuki did pay cold cash, it wouldn't cost them too much because they didn't sell that many Verona's in those 3 years of existence. However, I will say that one head and two engine replacements is very odd for even Suzuki to approve of (and yes, Evergreen, Suzuki's warranty bills cost more than what your car is worth). Currently my Suzuki rep has extended my warranty past 36,000 miles to show good faith in finding out why my car stalls. If I had the free time I could milk Suzuki for another year of free rentals and engine work while sticking them with the bills. Unfortunately, I don't have free time so I'm trading up, using another car manufacturer's incentive offering to reduce how much I'm upside down on this 'appliance' and eating the leftover cost. :cry:
  • mandi1mandi1 Member Posts: 7
    What happened when you filed the claim, and how did you file your claim? I'm a single mother and have had many problems with my '05 Verona, now the problems are ten times worse and it has become a saftey hazard rather than just an inconvience to me having to take it to the shop every other week. It would be greatly appreciated if you could give me some insight on how to go about doing this also because frankly I'm losing my patiecne very quickly with these people, it's always the run around, and I'm ready to sue them.
    hi,yes been there done that. frustrating. ok first off i filed in jan07 and i finally turned in my car 5/16/07 and as of this date im still waiting for the check to pay off the car. first off what state are u in. im in ca. and if ur car has been in the shop 3 or more time u know what im sorry u should be within warranty. oh girl i can help u and tell u what u need to do but i need to know what state of course every state difference. u know what i took pics of my odometer every time my check engine light came on. but its all about u doing ur part which is frustrating. well hope to hear from u soon tina salazar
    Thanks for the reply, I'm in North Carolina and I bought my car in July of 05, brand new no miles. Since I've had my car it has been in the shop 8 times for all emissons problems. Now that it is there again and my bumber to bumber warranty has run out they want me to pay 600 dollars to replace the map scensor, and the throttle body. They are trying to tell me that this is not related to the previouse problems even though the car is doing the exact same things just 10Xs worse, but I've been told by another mechanic that it is all connected to emissions system. This they tell me is not covered under the power train warranty which is all that's left. When I asked him what makes the throttle body go bad he said it's like a toater they just go out, I said yeah after five years, not two. Anyway, I called the Suzuki Corporation but of they didn't call me back and when I found out about my cars problems today the guy at the dealership said that they called them and they said that they could not cover this under warranty. So, my next question to him, after reading all these blogs with other people having the same problems as myself, was how many more parts will I have to replace to get my engne to run effeiceiently, he didn't know. It's almost like I'm having to rebuild an engine on a classic, except this is a new one, and no where near a classic. Anyway, maybe this will be of some help to you and maybe you can be of some help to me. I appreciate it, thanks.

Desparate Need
    Mandi
    oh no thats a crock of s...! ok, what i did was looked up the lemon law in my state which is ca. It tells u what things has to happen in order to consider car a lemon. looks from what u r telling me, oh yeah its considered a lemon here definately. dont waste no more time. On this same website i looked up of course u see little advertisements u know like u think u got a lemon the law offices of so and so. u know what i am talking about. well i clicked on it and ok i live in bakersfield, ca and this lawyer i got was in san diego about i say 3 hrs away. well i gave brief description of what was going on and ok less than 15 mins i got a call and he said to fax him everything i had and next thing u know envelope w/papers for me to sign obtaining his service and girl i tell u i was like ok is this for real, and he said ok u dont have to pay out of your pocket Suzuki has to pay. nothing to loose in my part rite. signed my papers sent back and well i looked up the court calendar here in kern county and low and behold there is my name -v- suzuki. thats when i said ok these ppl are for real. girl if everything u say and got paper work to back up u r set. its all about searching the net for lawyer. thats how i did it. i will tell u tho during the process well lawyer had let me know not to use the car as much basically not at all. which was no problem because it was in the shop at the time suzuki got served so it made it even better for me u know. i hope with what im telling u, is not confusing. see i got my car with miles on it not brand new and even at that it was considered a lemon it was a 04 i got it in 05 w/23900 miles on it. but do to the fact that it was taken 4 times before the 36,000 miles and for the same thing. girl check engine light no matter what caused it to come on, point was there was something wrong that couldnt b repaired for some reason. u know. check out the tech service bulletin u know on edmunds u will probably see many veronas same year with same problems which from what i seen was emission and stalling.this lady one time when i left my car, made a remark, she said no wonder i hardly see any veronas out there, they are all here at the shop :) . i really hope this helps but dont hesitate to ask, i will help in with what i can. email me if u like at this email ctsplyc5@aol.com by the way my name is tina. i be happy to help u with what i did ok take care.
    Mandi1, the answer to your question about how many more parts that need to be replaced to get your engine running efficiently is......who knows. I had 4 oxygen sensor replacements, one MAPS sensor replacement, one engine computer replacement, one throttle body replacement and a new battery. On this blog and others, other owners have had total engine replacements and transmission replacements. And for those of us who still own this 'appliance', those replacements did NOT fix the problem.

And to your comments about the mechanic saying the throttle bodies just go bad, yeah if it's poorly made. Throttle bodies, MAPS sensors, oxygen sensors, ECM's and TCM's are not clutches, brakes or tires, they should not be going bad in less than 3 years. (Heck even cheap tires give you 3 years of traction.) Dealership mechanics are just grasping at straws for this car; in a way you can't blame them when even the manufacturer doesn't even know what's wrong.

I skimmed through your state's lemon law and it's a little different than mine. I didn't see any clear statements about who pays attorney fees, also before you do any action you must notify the Suzuki of your action 10 days before. My only advice would be not to skim over your lemon law when reading it, get all your maintenance work orders in order and very, very carefully choose a lawyer that has done this. Personally, I'm taking another route because I hate lawyers, judges and courtroom jargon. I'm currently upside down on the loan of my car and will be using other manufacturers' incentives so I don't have to eat too much cost on my own. It's a buyer's market right now.
    well i am with u on lawyers,definately judges and courtrooms lol. well thats good i figured law over there would be different. but i tell u what i was told. see i thought with everything in my favor u know car problems blah blah even went to talk to local dealer. i said hey im taking action forget the mid-man (lawyer) u know, more $ for me and stuff. but it makes more sense when i was told ok for one aint nobody know me.lol Suzuki Corporation. see my point.lol and with my luck i probably be sitting here wondering where i went wrong, had i done it alone. i did have the whole loan paid off 6/1/07 and yes upside down even. and plus all payments given except for the time i bought the car to the first time taken to shop. $284.98 x 19 payments= $5415 down & regist. $300+131= $431 total $5414 + $431= $5846 less miles used $1786. So not only the whole amount of loan got paid which was $12400+ payments, my concern was of course the loan at bank. the good about this was loan paid off and some of the money given back. bad thing is the waiting and how long it took even tho everything was in my favor. other suggestion trade-in for another but it seems like ur car been in numerous times u know. well hope this was helpful. its upto u want to stay with something thats going to give problems or get rid of it and look into another car once case is over like i am doing now money given back i am using for another car definately and actually feels good to have car loan off account. well take care.
    If you're are already having problems with your car like this take it from me go ahead a file a lemon complaint. I've had probelems with my 05 6 mths after I bought it brand new and the problems still persist. Now, I may not be able to do anything because I didn't file before 24,000 miles. I have just about replaced the entire emissions system on my car and now I'm fighting to get the new problems fixed at their expense. I've had problems like stalling, engine idoling too high, won't start. I've had 02 sensors, cat converter, ecm, egr valves replaced, upgrades to software, more 02 sensors, and now the map sensor and throttle body needs replacing. Sometimes the car goes on it's on and sometimes it won't go at all. I'm just like you, I'm literally scared to drive my car. I hope this helps in some way, and if they tell you you can't file a lemon complaint go to Roy Cooper, our Attorny Genreal. That's the problem I'm having now, they kept telling me that the problem now is not related to previous problems, and not knowing a whole lot about cars I beleived them, now I know the truth is it is the entire emissions system and all these parts are connected to that system. They're have not been enough compalaints for them to do anything about it. So, let everyone you know that is having these problems to contact Attorny General. Good luck
    For all of you out there that are having problems with your Verona, be it 04, 05, or 06, you can contact the Attorny Generals Office (-877-566-7226), Speak with Patricia Jones or Roy Cooper if you can, and we can all get our problems taken care of with these cars. You also need to send a letter of your complaint and service records to The Suzuki Corp. and General Mgr of the Suzuki dealer you bought your car from. All this information should be listed in your Warranty Information owners manual. What is happening is there is not enough people filing these complaints for anything serious to be done about these cars. Until there is a sufficient amount of complaints we cannot file a class action lawsuit or even get the car recalled which lets face it is what needs to happen. Trust me when your warranty runs out you will be stuck just like me and they will not sell you another warranty on the car as they told me it has been discontinued. They are not stupid they are covering their butts, lets cover ours.
    Mandi1, instead of skimming, I actually read the North Carolina Lemon Law statute and it looks like your AG didn't give the consumers enough rights to do anything after 24,000 miles. (I'd vote ol' Roy outta office. :P ) There is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that saddles with lemon laws but an attorney would have to explain it.

In regards to sufficient complaints, I totally agree. Besides writing your AG and Suzuki Corp., try to file a complaint with NHTSA and JD Powers. JD Powers carries more weight than I thought. When Suzuki was getting bad ratings on the Forenza and Verona they were getting their US info from JD Powers. But that is not the good part. Suzuki ventured with JD Powers to receive feedback on how well dealerships fixed your car through survey mailings. Although your ratings mostly pertain to the dealership's repair facility it asks for further comments (feel free to add extra paper if you run outta room ;) ). The one caveat is that the responses have to come from more than one person in order for it to show up as a blip to Suzuki...so start writing and remember to put the words "stalling" and "safety concern" anywhere possible....y'all.

On another note, I came across this little tidbit: If you can, have the mechanic check the header and valve cover, NOT the gaskets, the actual header and cover. Oil/coolant/air may be leaking in fouling (that means "dirtying up") your sensors, spark plugs and/or injectors. The metal planes underneath these components may have been machined wrong causing a poor seal. Suzuki has mechanics trained to only replace what the diagnostic computer tells him to with no further investigation. (Really, I caught my mechanic using a frikken flow diagram!) This explains why my O2 and MAP sensors kept getting replaced without further investigation as to WHY they always needed replacing. Old school mechanics still use their eyes, hands and brains--one of whom gave me this info. In his words: "If oil's and such is on yer sensors and plugs, it ain't s'pose to be thar, you done sprung a leak eternally!".
    very well put if i do say so myself. thats the thing getting ppl to write, call do whatever it takes to get something done. i did all that and it was a major pain, but all worth it at the end. seriously. big load of pain was paid off, the bank loan on the verona i had. well i had no choice but to go this route, now if i had money to put down and trade it in to get out of the way faster i would of done that instead. :)
    Well, I'm finally getting my car fixed after much deliberation with one to many people. I guess I finally made it to the right one. They are going to fix my car at their cost and then the general manager of the dealer I bought my car from is going to try to trade me out of it without leaving me with a bunch of debt. Maybe I'll try a vovlo this time, anyone no much about those cars? I have to say now that I have contacted the correct person to take care of this matter I'm feeling a little bit better about the situation, but my guard will continue to stay up due to being lied to so much by service employees and others at this company. I talked to the General Mgr. and within an hour my car is being repaired. Maybe he won't try to screw me also, trying to keep the faith that not all people are lairs. Well, I will continue to write on this issue, oh, and by the way GM and daewoo have merged, which I didn't know, but they are taking the same car rebuilding it, renaming it, and putting the GM name on it now. This came straight from the horses mouth, so be carefull not to purchase a GM Verona. GM must be out of their minds. Oh as for my previous messeage, I meant to tell everyone that it applies to those who live in NC. And yes our state sucks as far as emission warranty. Other states get like 70,000 miles on their lemon law, and emission system. Our state sucks for just about everything though, from taxes to your car. Well, till next time, everyone keep try to keep a positive attitude on the situation and just keep talking to people till you get the right one.
    Just wanted to thank you for the info on having the header and valve cover checked out I will definately have that checked also. They told me that there is oil built up in the map sensor and because I haven't had a fuel injector cleaning done that is probably why, but now that I know this maybe that's not the reason at all. Thankyou :)
    I was given some new information on how to proceed with getting the Verona recalled or at leaset the parts recalled that we have problems with. The only problem is once again there must be more than one person to make the complaint on the situation. If you feel like I do and feel like there is no releif of this car please take action and help me get the ball rolling. Please go to www.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/complaintsearch.cfm, this website will tell you how to go about making a complaint. There is a number listed on the website 1-888-327-4236, you can call that number, it will take about 15 minutes to file the complaint, they will give you a case number and ask you some questions. I know that there are plenty of people that have the same exact problems with their verona that I have had with mine, just let them know what your cars problems are and they will investigate it and as long as enough people complain about the same issues with this vehicle there will be a defect investigation opened and from there they will decide if the car or the parts or both need to be recalled. So there are things we can do after all, and we all know that this car should've been recalled and replaced or something, I'm sure we all want the right thing to be done so let's make them do the right thing. :):) Also be prepared if you decide to call them they will ask for dates, and vin #, and so on.
    I tell u the list on this website seems endless about the verona's isnt it? At one of the many times that i took the 04 verona i had to have fixed. This lady that was there doing the same thing taking her car in. she stated that no wonder she hardly ever seen any verona's out in the street they were all at the service facility getting fixed. :) and still upto this day i tell u i havent really seen them out on the streets either. I tell u all what tho, i really got lots of compliments on my car. but when they see the make of it, they have this wierd bewildering, yet puzzled look on there faces. :) I was warned about the suzuki's in general before i got mine, and well i didnt listen. so now that i no longer have it. I am looking to buy a lincoln ls, well say determined to get one i really love the way they look. i sure like some input on these cars if anyone would like to comment about them. now i think i learned my lesson and now listen to what others say about a car. i really dont want to go thru this drama again. thanks
  • lmartellmartel Member Posts: 2
    blkbob, I did some research and you are absolutely right, but before I bought the verona I did know it was made by GM/DAEWOO and was a little leary about it but my wife and I fell in love the silky smooth I6. I have not enjoyed an I6 engine since my 1985 toyota supra, so we bought it. In a way I dont blame suzuki for wanting to distance themselves from that appliance of a vehicle, I almost dont blame them for the " smile and nod" strategy. They did the right thing by dumping this car but they sure could have treated the customers with all the problems a little better. It does sound like some people are getting some progress with extended warranties and even buy backs. Dont get me wrong I feel bad for those who have to go and get attorneys and do the whole lawsuit thing, what a pain in the [non-permissible content removed]! Overall the 2005 verona we bought did not have many issues but when it did it was the same engine problems everyone else had. The stalling issues went away after a few hours and was like there was never anything wrong at all. I only took it to the dealer once for the stalling and of course nothing was found. Once this last winter when the temp dropped below 10 degrees the gear shift froze and would not move and had to have car towed in to the dealer and nothing wrong was found, im not sure if anyone else had this problem or not on this forum. Then in May my wife was going to take our son to school and the car would not stay running, at that point we decided we could not trust or depend on this car. We do have gas guzzling SUV we dont drive it much we just pull our camper with it so that is out for a daily driver so we decided to trade the verona (which is also a gas guzzler, does not get the MPG it advertises) so we went back to our suzuki dealer, which is great dealer but we did take a hit on the negative equity but at this point which is worse, being neg or be out of warranty with the verona? So we found a left over 2006 aerio which is 100% made in japan by suzuki! thank god! The rebates and discount ate up some of the neg equity. Im sure suzuki feels they got screwed big time by GM and I agree and that is where i will leave my blame also. So blkbob I would say your theory is no theory at all, it is fact.
    On my 6/19/07 posting I touched on the topic of the engine cover leaking oil onto sensors. In the midst of trying to trade out of my Verona, my engine would not start recently. I took it to my USUAL dealership service and they found the USUAL plugged MAP and O2 sensors and replaced them and was about to send me on my merry way as USUAL. Being very tired of this merry-go-round I followed my own advice and insisted the dealership ditch the "flowchart for dummies" and try a "hands-on" investigation. Also, I commented that I lost faith in their service since they keep replacing the same sensors and not finding out why they keep needing replaced. I don't know if I looked homicidal or was just plain lucky but the service advisor agreed (albeit, with the permission of the Suzuki District Manager). Here's what they found besides oil on the map and O2 sensors:

OIL IS INTERNALLY LEAKING PASS THE HEAD GASKETS INTO ENGINE, THE EGR IS SUCKING THE OIL INTO THE INTAKE MANIFOLD WHICH BLOWS IT INTO THE CATALYTIC CONVERTORS

In case you're thinking a typical leaky gasket--wrong. They tried replacing the gasket and it still hemorrhaged oil back into the engine. So now I have to wait a week while they order a new header. (Read: poorly toleranced/machined header.)

Before you all shout "Eureka!" there is one caveat: this investigation requires removing the entire top of your engine, your exhaust system, your intake system and God knows what else and then replacing alot of expensive sensors and parts and then tacking on dealership labor rates. We are not talking a $2,000 repair job here, we're talking .......let me put it to you this way, if you own a 2004 model the bill would be more than your car's market value. Be prepared for Suzuki to fight you tooth and nail in going this route.
    oh I am sorry, but I no longer have the 04 Verona anymore. I obtained a lawyer, and well car was returned to dealer. I didnt waste no time, and got rid of the car. I filed lemon law case in Jan,07 and I pulled up the court case, and it shows that the case was dismissed is a matter of fact 6/20/07. I guess since we settled before court date. I acted quick on my part to get this over with. Well of course lawyers can and will drag if one lets them. I waited to hear from lawyers about a court date. Finally, close to date I finally let the lawyer know that I aint no fool, and I pulled up court date on website. I was going to be there with bells on, and only bells on. :) Next thing you know court day was moved from april to july. So Suzuki didnt even bother putting up a fight. Just thought I let u know.
    blkbob, at what mileage did you experience the oil fouled sensors which caused the starting problem? Were there any prior symptoms? Regarding the poorly toleranced machined header, what assurance do you have that Suzuki will replace with the new and improved part? Please let us know when you get your car back and how it's running. Best of luck.
    The sensors were called "faulty" around 17,000 miles during stalling. The term "fouling" came about at 40k miles due to no starts. The stalling issues, I would imagine, were probably caused by fouling not faulty sensors.

Prior symptoms to the no start are: 1) engine light constantly coming on and spitting out codes 2) rough idling 3) engine sputtering during operation and at idle 4) engine stalling during operation and at idle 5) many, many trips to the service department within 11 months.

In regards to Suzuki assurances for me, Suzuki extended my warranty related to my issues and have ordered work and parts with no cost to me after the 36k mile mark. In regards to Suzuki assurances to anyone else--there is none whatsoever. :( That was my caveat in my original titled posting. I called Suzuki to get them involved and I rode the dealership's service department to investigate further. You can do the same but there is no assurance your result will be the same as mine. And, remember, I titled this subject as "Possible Cause of Engine Stalling", the key word here is "possible". Although it seems we all have the same engine issues keep in mind that the solution could be different.

Yes, I'll keep you posted when I get my car back soon.
  • ccbloome61ccbloome61 Member Posts: 35
    Haven't posted in quite some time to try and keep my mind of the horror of the Verona. For the last 2 years it's been in the shop about 20 times. Stalling, check engine light, engine noise, ROUGH idle, and I could go on and on. The dealer could only reset the check engine light and tell me the same thing over and over and over again. (random misfire). There is nothing wrong with your car, it drove like a dream. WHATEVER! :mad: I called the Mfg. and told them it was a safety defect and if I got hit in the rear when it stalled I would sue. The man at Suzuki in California assured me the factory would have someone look at the car the next week, which NEVER HAPPENED, and he refused to call me back anymore. The car is a Verona LX 2004, with a measly 38000 miles on it. Immaculate condition, won't run. Saturday morning was the straw that broke the camels back. Started car, check engine light flashing and then On. Car idling like crap, and died when I hit the A/C. I unplugged 2 fuses to reset the check engine light and traded her in for a 2007 Hyundai Sonata. I am tired of the trouble and tired of Suzuki, they Could care less. Never, ever give them any of your hard earned money! I would not dream of trading for another Suzuki or GM product. Wish me Luck with the Hyundai! I hope only the best for everyone else here. I was lucky that I had paid cash for the Verona and got 9000.00 trade in, leaving me 10,000.00 to pay on the Sonata. It's a V6 and has lots more power than the Verona. I paid an additional 2000.00 down and financed only 8000.00 at 5.75 percent. The payments are a paltry 153.00 per month for 5 years. Good Luck again all. One thing to note, the Sonata isn't as pretty as the Verona, but hopefully will be a better car. :lemon:
    lol one thing u mentioned about this u r right the sonata isnt as pretty as the verona. I really did like my car. but apparently not enuff to where I obtain a lawyer and had Suzuki buy back. Well best of luck on ur sonata. :shades:
    I have no doubt that Suzuki will make good on their promise and honor their commitment to repair your car outside of the 36K warranty. My question was ... "what assurance do you have that you will receive a "quality machined header part" (not one with faulty tolerances)... you should insist on an a quality inspected header machined to the new tolerances; otherwise you have not solved the problem. As a mechanical engineer I see this often; parts get replaced with parts from stock, also with latent defects. In other words, did Suzuki purge stock on the faulty headers? I would have that discussion with the Service Manager.
    I apologize, I misunderstood the part about assurances. We'll apparently there are none in that regards because I got the car back and it still rough idles. :cry: But hey, I got shiny new parts under the hood and the dealership owner can now fly with both his mistress and his wife to Bora Bora for a fun-filled, sun-filled vacation.

Joking aside, I wouldn't necessarily say the car was fixed it was just put back to it's pre-engine light phase, I'm sure the stalling will be coming back soon. I just hope to God that I'll be driving a non-Suzuki automobile by then.

It's sad and laughable at the same time that Suzuki would knowingly pay more than double the car's worth in warranty bills rather than buy it back. And then extend the warranty to throw even more money at the problem while failing miserably to correct the problem. Even Yugo and Daewoo weren't that stupid.
    blkbob....my 04EX has always run beautifully with none of the problems you have experienced. However, when I took it in for routine service last Oct/Nov the dealer advised that I needed to have the head replaced. I had around 40k miles on it at the time and they just did the work under warranty. That is what I would have expected them to do since the header is part of the drivetrain which has a 7 year warranty. They told me it would have cost me $3500 if it had not been under waranty. This spring I have had the engine replaced twice and that was under warranty, too. They told me that was $7500 for each engine. I didn't even know I was having an engine problem. The original engine, as well as both replacement engines, have all run great. Guess I am fortunate to have a good dealer, and it isn't even the dealer where I bought the Verona. I plan to keep the vehicle until I start having reliability issues. At that time I will probably move to the RAV4.
  • revrbmrevrbm Member Posts: 4
    Your final comment on all veronas in shop. That is funny cause I took mine in AGAIN for same problem annd there were 3 more there! Funny. Probably same thing problem stalling all the time. This car is a death trap!
    I am in the process of getting a lawyer to sue under lemon law. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I am currently getting a lawyer and I am going to see if I can go after suzuki for a safety recall, I have almost been in more than 1 accident due to stalling.
    If you know of more people that have had these issues withthere Veronas please give my email so people can email me, rev_rbm@yahoo.com

I think we are all entitled to a refund from suzuki! And the more complaints the better..
    better than that you want complaints on this kind of car go to www.odi.nhtsa thats where you will see the endless complaints on the verona's. this website is the office of defects investigation. Suzuki recently bought my verona back. paid the whole loan off and refunded the payments we gave, well not all payments, less the miles used which was from the miles when we got the car to the first time the car was in the shop. they went off miles stated for that day in shop, oh of course the lawyer i got his share. well good luck, you know what i did was took a picture of the check engine light and miles that it kept coming on. and emailed them to the lawyer. for thier files. well by the time suzuki was served by lawyer my car was in the shop, so of course suzuki had 30 days to respond, and believe me they waited up the 30 days and guess what, my car was still in shop lol. there was no fighting the fact that my car was a lemon. final noticed i got from lawyer was to prepare to return the car to dealer.by the time i got my car back out of shop was about two weeks when the day was here 5/16/07 the car was out of my hands. and guess what the check engine light was on that day too. lol good luck
    I am having more problems with suzuki verona than I care to discuss, Same ones everyone else is having, Ready to file a civil law suite! Already filing lemon law and its in the shop WITH 4 OTHERS NO JOKE I wrote down all the plate #'s and VIN #'s. Please if you could give me the #for your lawyer you used I would appreciate it.
    They are replacing my catalyst converter this time.. HA HA I don't think thats it Suzuki! Anyways if they don't get it this time the attorney General is on my side but I still want to look into file a civil case against suzuki on behalf of all of us

My Email is Rev_rbm@yahoo.com and any info or just explanations of your problems I'm sure would be beneficial.

Thanks
    Nice thing about here in maine is they only have 7 days to respond now tha I am filing Lemon law through attorney General.. Thanks for the advice with the pictures that is a good Idea I will use that one for sure..
    Thanks again
    Since I have had two entire engine replacements, and I know others have had to have their engine replaced too, I wonder how long it will be before Suzuki runs out of engines. Does Suzuki use this engine in any other vehicle? With the Verona out of production, maybe they will run out of engines. Then what happens if you need a new engine?
    do you really believe they replaced two engines? one time that i took my car in they told me they replaced it too. I wanted to be a more of a [non-permissible content removed] than what i was already with them and ask to show me the motor that was taken out my car. :P but i figured that if they couldnt show me the blown fuse that was the problem from the very first visit to the shop, and i asked to show me the blown fuse. they said they couldnt find it :surprise: 2nd time they claimed the computer was replaced, again they should of known me by that time i asked to show me the computer. :surprise: funny the tech that did my car had left home already. after that i didnt even bother asking anymore.It got to the point where i knew they didnt like me for, well you know. i go down the street and make sure the tires werent loose or something. I really did. drive really slow afraid break lines werent sliced or something. I had and issue with the dealer in the past b4 i bought verona. bought my verona at mazda dealer, never even thought or crossed my mind about suzuki.see where i was taking verona to have fixed. was at mitsubishi dealer. come to find out both them dealers are brothers and had the same dumbfu... working on cars. now i scratch mitsubishi, suzuki dealers off my list. lol
    i just sent you an email from my yahoo account. oh take pictures, hows that saying a picture never lies or something. lol. i took pictures before i take car in for repair. and of the reading i got on my scan tool.cheap [non-permissible content removed] scan tool i bought was just as acurate as the one in suzuki's shop. boy and were they surprised when me a woman told them that a misfire on first cylinder, was the problem not a blown fuse as they first stated. all they did was cleared the check engine light. u know disconnecting the battery. lol
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Why not keep the conversation here on the board where it will benefit lots of folks - posters as well as lurkers, now and in the future?
    After over $7,000 of labor and parts put into my car, the good times only lasted a 10 days. It is currently, back to being a piece of junk. Engine lights and stalling issues have returned with severe prejudice against me. After telling Suzuki that their "fix" didn't fix it, they then just kept me waiting. I threw in the towel and got myself a Lemon Law lawyer (ON A CONTINGENCY BASIS which I pray all of you are doing). The lawyer jumped at the chance and promptly sent a letter of possible litigation if they did not want to resolve this fairly. So from now on it's pretty much my lawyer talking to their lawyers. I just told mine to wake me when it's over and hopefully he'll be waving a check under my nose to wake me. So now it's a waiting game.
  • veronaownerveronaowner Member Posts: 88
    I purchased an 04 Verona EX in Oct of 03. Had RPM fluctuating and rough idle issues and took the car in to the dealer (Melbourne, FL) 08/18/04. The Suzuki district Manager happened to be there and Flashed system and checked ok. Mileage was 2745. 10/17/06 back for same problem, different dealer, (Birmingham, AL) replaced MTIA and performed Reflash. Fail code was 99/44 and the Throttle Body was replaced. Mileage 21352.
    There is a sticker on the glove box door that has the following info...Dealer code 4011293, 10/06, ECM,
    P/N 96809715, Version #1BQA.
    The car still has a minor idle/fluctuation problem at first start up, but last less that a minute.
    One problem with both dealers I have dealt with is they do not know to use 5W30 oil as stated in the owners manual. The first oil changes at the dealers was 10W30 and I called Suzuki and they in turn notified the dealers to use 5W30 only. They also did not know the amount of oil required to fill the engine.
    The Original battery went dead last month, 44 months use.
    (New EMail address -- kjmayo@centurytel.net)
    I now have just over 25000 miles on the Verona
    If anyone can use this information to further an action for their Verona, please contact me.
    Except for gas mileage and noted above, the Verona has has performed OK.
    Thanks for letting me post.
    VERONAOWNER (Ken)
    I also have an 04 Verona EX bought in April 2004. In Sept 04 I received a Safety Recall Notice from Suzuki to replace the ECM Engine Control Module. Idling smoothness was significantly improved and I have had NO issues with the car since then. Last year I had the transmission re-flashed at the recommendation of the dealer (not that I noted a problem). Supposedly it removed the learning mode. Performance of the transmission about the same, maybe slightly improved after the service. The car has NEVER stalled in traffic or otherwise. Still on original battery, brakes, tires after 32,000+ miles. Car runs flawlessly. Not a single failed component, never seen any trouble codes / Engine Check Light never came on. Only services were gas and routine oil changes (IMPORTANT: I perform the oil / filter changes myself at regular intervals using ONLY 5W30 and the correct quantity (6.8 qts per Suzuki TSB TS 03-06234 for the RP625 engine). I truly believe that using the wrong grade oil and / or qty. has been a MAJOR contributor to the engine issues being reported here. The only parts I replaced on this car are the rear turn signal bulbs, not because they "failed" but the amber coating wore off. Total cost of replaced parts in 3+ yrs. of ownership = $3.49. One thing I would like to advise, before selecting my car on the dealer lot, I had the "advantage" of trying out a few Veronas, and two of three had starting / idling / stalling issues. Mine was the only one that performed perfectly off the lot and selected it. So I truly believe everyone's grief is real and not exaggerated. True, a very small statistical sample, but from my viewpoint 2 out of 3 Veronas have serious issues and I think that is what we are seeing on this board.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Just a housekeeping note - it appears you have changed email addresses? Please update your account to reflect that. Thanks!