Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki Verona

Comments

• Yes NAPA has a battery but said I need to lower the riser. I only assume that means the tray and I don't want to get into messing with that.

Did you have to do it? Otherwise I am heading to the dealership in the morning.
  • No, I purchased a battery for my Verona at the dealer in Birmingham. It was about $96.00 I think. It has the Suzuki name on it.
    Ken ( Veronaowner)
  • Did you have them install it? THey are charging me $120, I assume that's installation since that was what it would have cost me to have them do it while the car was there last week.
  • gettingornery....regarding your ABS module, I assume you are speaking of the brains and not just a sensor in one of the wheels. How much did it cost or were you lucky enough to have them fix it under warranty? My ABS light came on one day and stayed on. I took it to the dealer and they said I had a problem with the sensor in the right front wheel but that everything was working ok. The sensor is part of the wheel assembly and the whole thing needs to be replaced at the cost of $400. I fugured that if everything was working, I could live with the light being on. Shortly thereafter, my brakes started pulsating as if the ABS was activating every time I used the brakes. Before I had a chance to take it to the dealer, I was driving in the mountains one day and came around a corner and was confronted with a deer standing in the roadway. I slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting the deer. My ABS light went out and the pulsating disappeared. Everything has been normal and this happened several months ago. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
  • I installed it. Takes only a minute or two.
    You will need a card that came with the car that has a radio code on it - 4 numbers - to get the radio to work after the battery has been disconnected, or I had to do that. Turn the radio on and then punch the numbers in from the keyboard of the radio.
    Hope all works out for you.
    Ken
  • Strange but true: nearly every time I hit a bump in the road, the radio begins to scan the entire dial and locks up; cannot change stations or even turn off. Then of course, the steering wheel controls don't do much of anything anymore: volume up mutes the radio, mode turns it off instead of selecting bands; seek changes bands acting like mode. Anyone else having these problems? I know that the steering wheel controls have issues (poor grounding), but this random scanning thing is annoying. I think it has to do with the up / down toggle on the front panel...very loose to touch. But other than this minor annoyance, mechanically the verona has yet to let me down, at close to 37K miles. Not sure when the hammer is going to drop.
  • when I bought the car the cd eject button did not work they replaced the entire radio. I do hate where the controls are on the whell every time I make a turn I end up turning off the radio.
  • Sorry for the delay getting back, evergreen

Nope, it was the entire module, brain, motherboard, whatever it is. The light came on one night, never went off again. Took over six months -- the length of an entire Wisconsin winter -- to find a new module to put in the car. New brain, no problems with that.

Oh, and the Suzuki district manager said I needed a new fuel filter. I've gotten a new transmission, catalytic converters, sensors, pistons -- everything but the engine block and fuel injectors -- and the Suzuki district manager said I needed a fuel filter. Can you believe that!?! Dealership installed a new fuel pump, for good measure, and I didn't even get home before the sputtering resumed.

Nobody's ever had this issue resolved??????????
  • momj40momj40 Posts: 1
    We are taking our Verona to the dealer tomorrow for the same problem. We've had many "needed" parts installed and the problem is the same - last was a 750 dollar tune-up with special plugs, hah. We also notice an unburned fuel smell when idling. There is a recall on the Verona for fuel system gasoline delivery that fits our problem, but when we called Suzuki, our VIN number is not one of the vehicles with the problem, huh???? We also have an ABS light on all the time and replaced brakes, etc. No change. I'll let you know how we make out, we may trade it in and take a loss if it doesn't get fixed.
  • Good luck to you!

Since I put up that original post, I've gotten a new fuel filter and fuel pump; drove it for a week; took it back; and just picked it up again today, having gotten a new throttle body. The Suzuki DSM actually came and spent a day at the dealership with my car. The dealership was told to install a new fuel filter. I laughed when they called to tell me. With all the expensive parts put on this car thus far, wouldn't fuel filter be something they'd check first?

The dealership is trying everything they can. I don't fault my dealer at all. It's warranty work, and they have to do as Suzuki instructs.

But on the bright side ... I've driven so many different loaner vehicles, I know what other cars I'm not gonna buy in the future, too! And ... if I keep driving loaners for weeks at a time, it's going to take that much longer for my Verona to hit the magic 100k end-of-warranty mark.

Thanks for letting me know about the recall. I'll call Suzuki tomorrow and see if my VIN's on the list.
  • fangio2fangio2 Posts: 214
    It's too bad GM and Suzuki messed up a pretty good car.If they had just left the Aisin tranny that was in the Leganza in the car.I had a Daewoo and any problems I had with it were dealer caused.Lack of competence at the dealer seems to have followed to Suzuki.
    I don't know why the dealerships are not able to service these cars.Lack of interest due to low sales maybe.The 6 cyl engine in the Verona is a mystery as well as the tranny to service techs.I think if you can find a good independent shop you will be better off.
    I thought the warranty would save Verona owners the cash outlays Daewoo owners went thru-seems I was wrong.You will find some answers to your non engine related problems in the Daewoo Leganza forum-as it is the same car.
    GOOD LUCK
  • I agree it is too bad that this pretty good car has had so many problems. It is hard to remember all its great qualities when it is sitting in the shop being repaired. I have had a new head, two new engines and some bearing in the transaxle replaced. The good new is that, except for the bearing, I wasn't even aware there was anything wrong under the hood until the dealer discovered problems. The car has never missed a beat and runs as smooth and quiet today as it did when it was new. None of this has cost me a penney and I doubt if I had taken the vehicle to an independent shop for service that they would have even realized there was a problem. In fact I doubt that many independent shops have ever worked on a Verona. I also would be concerned about wether an independent shop could handle all this warranty stuff very efficiently, and also about the free rental car while the vehicle is in the shop. I would agree that there are probably a lot of incompetent Verona mechanics at the various dealers around the country and that's unfortunate. I've been lucky, I guess, but even if I had an incompetent local dealer I would really hesitate taking the Verona to an independent shop for warranty work.
    I agree as far as the warranty work is concerned.What I was saying applied to non warranty work.In my case the problems begin with taking my car to the dealer while it was under warranty.For over 2 years they tried to fix my speedometer.The car was kept for periods up to 5 vweeks.The excuse was waiting for parts.After replacing speedometer head,speed sensor,engine computer etc the problem was finally solved-bent pin on speedometer sensor.
    The dealer said I needed a new harness that would take weeks to get.I found the harness end on ebay -$10.00.I took it to the dealer-a day later they said it was fixed.When I arrived they gave me a bill for $550.00.The service manager told me DAEWOO no longer would pay for warranty work-a lie.GM set up a company just for this purpose.
    Sounds like you have found an honest dealership.I found that for routine service a good shop can work on any car.The non engine parts are available on ebay.Things like plugs,oil filters,plug wires etc are probably available at any parts store.The mix up over what weight oil should be used just illustrates the lack of communication between the dealerships and the factory-typical.
    The other areas of potential problems with these DAEWOOS are-window motors,peeling door handle trim,dashpad coming unglued,rotors warping-not big deals and may not apply to Verona.
  • Would you buy an 06 of any model?
  • I love my Verona for many reasons but would have to give a lot of thought before buying another one. I have the EX and I don't think there is any difference between models so far as repair problems are concerned. They all have the same engine, transmission, etc. Even though there isn't much real difference between my 04 and an 06, I would hope they figured out solutions to some of the problems earlier owners have experienced. If not, there is always the 7 year warranty to consider in case you have problems, which I suspect you will. You might consider an 06 if;
    1. you have a reliable and honest dealer nearby to make any warranty repairs
    2. you can get a very good price. I have been amazed what Hertz has been getting for their Veronas and I wouldn't pay anywhere near what some folks are asking.

That's my two bits worth.
    I agree a Verona -it's a risky deal.The inline 6 and the transmission seem to be "quirky"at best.On the other hand a good deal on a Forenza might be a good bet.It is basically a Daewoo Nubria.But with a 7 yr warranty and easier parts availability.The key is a good dealership and a good price.
  • Is there any suzuki swift owners out there? Happy with your purchase? problems? mileage? customer service concerns...... Thanks,
  • Hi there.
    Did you ever find out why your abs light was coming on? Mine has started coming on while I drive. Odd thing is that it is while I am crusing on the highway and havent used my brakes for a long time. When I stop the car and restart, the light is on at initial startup and then goes off like it is designed to. I am just concerned that this might mean my abs are actually not working which could be bad this time of year. Or is this probably just a sensor that is dirty or a bad fuse for the light?
  • In my situation, the ABS light came on when I started the car and it never went off. The dealer said there was a problem with the sensor or a connection in the right front wheel. Since the sensor is apparently part of the hub, or something, the whole hub had to be replaced at a cost of $400 as I recall. The dealer said everything worked properly so not to worry. Weeks later when I made an emergency stop to avoid hitting a deer, the light went off and evrything has been fine since then. Go slam on your brakes and see what happens. It just might be a cheap fix.
  • Hi.

My ABS module was shot. They had to replace the "brains" of the ABS. The light came on in September, and it took almost six months to get a replacement part. I drove almost all winter -- in Wisconsin!! -- without ABS.

By the way, my car is running okay now. It idles a little rough, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my days of lull-n-jerk are over. I'll know for sure next June when we once again welcome heat and humidity to the region.

So for those of you who've had as much replaced as I have -- head gaskets, transmission, sensors, fuel pump, catalytic converters, etc. -- you might suggest the dealer replace the throttle body. That's the last repair I had, and it's been okay ever since, but for the slightly rough idle ...
  • Hey guys I was just skipping around the forums and noticed that the Verona has this stalling problem. I just sold my 2000 Daewoo Leganza to my neighbor and for the last 3 years once I fire up the car go in reverse then switch to Drive it sputters as if fuel is not getting to the engine for 2-3 seconds and then it gets its power and vvvvvvvroom! goos 2 go for the rest of the day. There is still some extended warranty on the car and since this sounds like a design flaw from the daewoo to the suzuki I was hoping someone could give me some quick insight to this phenomina.Changed fuel filter never helped and my next guess was a bad fuel pump(or connection to pump) or a throttle body problem.
  • Your stalling problem is not something changing gas is going to fix. I just got my 2004 Verona back two days ago from the dealer where it has been for over a month. At 36,700 miles Suzuki replaced the engine and a whole lot of other parts. The repair cost was $12,485.62 in parts and labor all of which was covered by Suzuki. But to answer your question a Suzuki rep told me that the reason for the problem was that this engine was designed to run on pure gas and not gas with a percentage of Ethanol as here in the states. What is happening is the plugs and valves are getting loaded up with carbon and when the build up is large enough the stalling begins. The dealers can do a chemical cleaning of the valves by running in a fluid to clean them but it is a 12 hour process from what Suzuki told me. You wonder why they no longer sell them. This Suzuki rep also told me that the same engine design is used in the Forenza which is still being sold and the dealer told my wife when she picked up the car two days ago that they are already seeing 2008 Forenzas with the problem. Best of all even with my new engine I can look forward to the problem returning once I get some mileage on the car - can you say trade in?
  • My 04 Verona has an engine with less than 10k miles. It runs great except that lately it seems to be slow in starting. It used to start immediately but now it cranks for a bit before starting. It is probably a little worse when it is cold but it is only slightly less of an issue when it is warm. Has anyone else had this issue?
    I don't know about the 6 cyl Verona engine ,but the 4 cyl Forenza engine is a Holden design that was in the Daewoos.I had a Leganza and burned 10 % ethanol witn no problems,The only rough running issues I experienced was due to a bad coil pack.The biggest problem I had was dealer incompetence.Looks like Suzuki is doing a rerun of this.
    The six cylinder Verona engine seems to have tuning issues that Suzuki can't or won't resolve.I've seen numerous posts about reflashing the computer for both the engine and the transmission.I would think that in 3 years they would have figured that out.
    The good news is the warranty-if you can wear them out they just might fix the car or you can lemon law.It's a shame how Suzuki has botched this.I've heard GM kind of pushed the Daewoo product line on Suzuki,BUT that is no excuse -they put the big S on the car and sold them.
  • I don't know what Suzuki did to screw this car up but my daewoo was the best car we've ever owned.In 65k we only had to replace the camshaft positioning sensor ($120) no big deal. Must be that they couldn't design a good 6 cyl.
    The camshaft sensor was free fix from DAEWOO.You may be able to get your money back-check with a warranty dealer.You are right about the car-ours was great.An incompetent dealer just made me crazy.
  • re:Sensor. :ChucK. My 1999 Leganza sensor was replace two weeks ago.'I took it to chevy dealer to have it fix they told me to check with daewoo america to see if it was recall for camshaft sensor 'Thay told me that only(2000 & 2002) was recall.'So it cost me about three hundred dollars and i just order a new exhaust from the front to the back brand new off the internet stock daewoo parts. total price was ($293.95) and about two fifty for labor.'The car only has 17,000 on the new motor the one that came in the car was tosted after 55.000 and i still love my Leganza this is my second one.
  • now exceeds 46,000. It is difficult to come to an overall impression of the car. Objectively, it has been highly reliable. One engine computer update and one radio fix from the dealer, both free. On the other side, the engine is noisier now than my old Chevy Caprice was at 133,000 miles. The engine is exceptionally smooth at high RPM, yet idles with a bit of vibration--there since new. I like driving the car because it corners well yet absorbs big road shocks very well. The short turn radius makes parking easy. The air conditioner works well in the hottest summer I've encountered and the heating system comes on fast in winter. The transmission is unfortunate in its gear ratio selection and in its erratic response to acceleration at low speeds. But, it has been failure free. I suppose I am keeping the car because each day it competently takes me on my travels with little fuss. Not a strong endorsement perhaps, but sufficient to hang onto it for the time being.

The legroom is impressive for a car this size, particularly when contrasted with a similar sized BMW.

The same basic car, with styling updates and a five speed automatic is now being sold in Australia to poor reviews. Since I've not read of reliability woes, perhaps the quality issues discussed on this forum have been corrected. I would not buy the Australian model if sold here, but would consider a new generation car of the same size with the same concept of a cross-wise positioned inline six cylinder engine. A small turbo and variable valve timing could make the engine world class.
  • mm9351mm9351 Posts: 72
    It's been a while since I posted here but I wanted to add to what marvinlee stated. My EX just passed 40K miles, and here's the point to be made, 40K totally trouble free miles. Only oil changes at regular intervals and I performed everyone myself. I did the radio fix myself...broken tuning button...by lifting off the faceplate. ECM was upgraded early on as part of the Suzuki factory update. Would you believe I'm still enjoying original tires and original brake pads... to me that speaks volumes about the quality and reliability of this car. Unfortunately, I had several windshields replaced, thanks to stone damage compliments of NY highways. Engine still remarkably smooth and mostly quiet at all rpms, but I do have that little transmission kick at a rolling 20 mph upon acceleration. And yes, the turning radius is amazing; I can do u-turns on the narrowest of roads! Besides the excellent HVAC system, the heated seats are a true blessing during northeast winters.

Say what you will, but this automobile delivers as a daily driver in every aspect imaginable, and asks for very little in return. :D
  • This is the link to the 2008 Australian Holden Epica. Despite the different name, it is the South Korean built Daewoo that was relabeled as a Suzuki Verona for the USA and as the Chevrolet Epica for Canada. The new version has modified styling on the same body structure, a five speed automatic, newer electronics, and slightly different trim and accessory packages. Fuel economy is now better, the engine runs slower on the highway, but power is no better.

General Motors made a serious initial mistake in not making sure that Daewoo (GM owned) achieved high initial quality. Had it done so, I believe that the car would still be sold here in respectable numbers. The basic engine design is similar to the much more costly Volvo six cylinder S80 but in a smaller and more affordable car.