Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Verona

Comments

• marvinlee1marvinlee1 Member Posts: 51
    The engine noise may be related to the pistons. Modern pistons are quite short, have no steel inserts to control expansion, and sometimes cause a bit of noise until they reach operating temperature. I would pay attention to the trend of the noise. Is it deteriorating? If so, pistons are probably not the cause since they normally wear very slowly.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    Interesting article. But this engine has been a real piece of garbage. You can't help to think if they would have stayed with a GM design they would have been much better cars!
  • 650spx650spx Member Posts: 48
    The verona engine is a complety GM design. Gm declined to fix the engine half way through the contract with suzuki. Suzuki revisted the engine repair a year after taking on the line and gave Gm most of the information to preform the corrective action needed. GM would not repair the vechile. Rember suzuki buys the verona reno and forenza. Built and ready to go from GM all suzuki dose is sell them and fix them Thay have no other input. Which is why the verona is gone and forenza and reno are out next year. The only mistake suzuki made was trusting GM a company thay have done business with for along time. GM may be gone soon
    (god I hope so) I know it will hurt the work force and ecnomey of mexico ,china and every other cheap labor country out there but only about 5 real americans will loose there jobs.
    "The verona engine is a complety GM design." Do you have a reference for that claim, 650spx? My understanding, based on literature supplied at the time the car was being released in America, is that Daewoo was responsible for engine design, beginning before GM bought a controlling share of Daewoo. Daewoo, according to my understanding, had hired the aid of an engine expert at Germany's Porsche company.

The Daewoo sedan is still in production and is sold in several nations. It now has a six speed transmission and has a diesel option newly available. I agree that Suzuki had legitimate complaints.
  • welingtonwelington Member Posts: 16
    i think the verona engine is 100% daewoo because in korea they star making the daewwo magnus which is suzuki verona in usa in the year 2000. the reason is that i was checking a korean uses auto sales webside and i look a used daewoo magnus from the year 2000 to 2006. another reason is that was the first 6 cilynder engine from daewoo so maybe daewoo company are no good making 6 cilybder engine, remember verona owners when daewwo first came to usa whit the leganza,nubira and lanos they all 4 cilynder engine and before daewoo when bankrut the daewwo magnus was already made by daewwo co. and in 2004 daewwo when bankrut and was brough by gm and suzuki. now every daewwo extricate as a chevrolet like for example the chevy aveo thats a daewoo whith chevy frame in korea the chevy aveo name is daewoo gentra.now suzuki dont want daewoo anymore and they kicking out all the daewoo cars like the verona, forenza and reno, i was checking the suzuki new cars web and forenza and reno are not there anymore. oh another point suzuki is going to try to bring back the costumers attention with the suzuki kizashi in 2010, lets se what happen because the kizashi is made by suzuki not daewoo. thanks verona owners and good luck
    i will contact my friend at american suzuki and try to find out better information but I can assure you he can't give me anything on paper.
    thats a great idea to contact your friend at american suzuki tell him to tell you the tru about the suzuki verona engine beacuse every webside say that the daewoo magnus and the suzuki verona are the same car no gm engine are involve in those cars but gm owned.whe i check the korean used auto webside i check the daewoo magnus i check all the pictures in that car and the engine is the same as the suzuki verona.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    If you go back to the link (message 1763)that was posted, in the first paragraph it clearly states it's a Daewoo design. The second paragraph states that the motors USED TO be from GM.
    Every onew knows that thay are the same car. Suzuki just rebaged them duh. Mabey if you did all this great reasurch you would not be stuck with one now!!!
  • ak10ak10 Member Posts: 3
    Am very happy to join this great site, I live in Jordan, Middle East and own Daewoo Magnus eagle 04(Verona) for about a year and half with no problem (thank god).
    you are 100% right
    i tried to star my verona and was hard to star and when finally star the hold button light was on and blinkid on the dash, i press the hold button to turn off but dint work the hold ligth was still on in the dash i tried to drive the car and the car was running terrible and making noise, i drove like four bloks away from my house and i decide to park and turn the car off , i wait like 3 minutes and turn the car on again and finally the hold light shut off and the car went back to run normal. that is possible that the suzuki dealer cut eliminated the hold mode sistem?it will be nice, if someone have solution for this problem please help. god luck verona owners
    Welcome ak10. We have also had no major problems with our 2004 Verona. The paint still looks good after four years being parked outside. The leather shows no signs of wear, and the engine has enough power. The newest six cylinder Veronasbeing sold in Australia, UK, and possibly New Zealand under the Holden Epica brand name are selling slowly, but gaining some sales because of a new diesel engine option.

Does anyone have hints on where to find the engine coolant drain plugs? It is time to change the coolant and local prices are very high.
    my suzuki verona have 81000 miles i used 5w30 but i think that motor oil is to ligth for a car that have 81000 miles should i put 10w30 or 10w40 in the next motor oil change please help.
  • candamcandam Member Posts: 1
    I need to find out how to check and add transmission fliud to my 2004 Verona. The dealership that I got the car from (Joe Gibson) is now out of business and the nearest one close to me is 45 min away. :confuse:
    good morning,if its an automatic gear this will help in checking :

http://gm.ws123.net/EN/documents/Evanda/start_Evanda.
    chevy evanda is same as the verona.
  • mikepegasusmikepegasus Member Posts: 1
    Our 2005 Suzuki Verona has 114k miles on it, and has been virtually problem free, we have done the basic maintenance on it but recently the check engine light came on at apprx 105,000 and we took it to a local mechanic who said that the Catalytic converter needs to be replaced, we didn't have the money at the time so we decided to hold off, then a couple of days ago it started driving very slow and hesitating, now today it has no power, it starts fine but cannot accelerate at all, is this a problem that can be attributed to the Catalytic converter? Also, recently intermittently when breaking the brake pedal is hard to press down almost like there is a problem with the master brake cylinder, also could this be related? Thanks for any assist.
    Mike
  • kimweigelkimweigel Member Posts: 43
    There is no way to check the fluid, short of draining it all and measuring. The Verona does not have a transmission dipstick, and it is meant to be a sealed unit for it's entire life. I would take it to a dealer at 100k and have them change it, and otherwise, don't worry about it.
    I never loved the way mine shifted. Even though there was nothing "mechanically wrong" with it, it always seemed to be in the wrong gear, and shifting at the worst time.
    The no dipstick thing is common to a few high-end cars. They claim it keeps the fluid cleaner by not having another point of entry for foreign material.
    I think they do it to keep the stealership mechanics working. They may also do it to keep us hamfisted knucklebusters from overfilling, or putting the wrong kind of fluid in our transmissions.
    Tranny fluid is usually measured and added in pints, not quarts, like oil. There are also several different types, and the wrong one will definitely screw up your tranny.
    you are rigth about the transmission fluid my verona have 81000 miles and im going to wait for 100,000 miles for change the transmission fluid and the suzuki dealer is the best option to take even if a expencive i dont recomend to take the verona to regular mechanic for transmission service due to that transmission is sealed by the way i dont like the way my verona transmission shifting always at the wrong time exept in freeways and nothing is wrong with the tranny is just the way was made. take care and good luck verona owners.
  • veronadriver1veronadriver1 Member Posts: 3
    Hello, I am new to this forum and I would like to ask a view questions about my 2004 Verona. I have not had any problems with it until about 90,000 miles. Nothing with the engine but my driver side window is off track or something, its got a lot of play in it meaning i can move it side to side and up and down. I have to pull it down to come down, and i have to pull it up to come up. I am a DIY kinda guy so id like to do it myself. It's starting to happen to my passenger window as well. If anybody knows what is wrong with it please let me know! I also broke my diver side door molding, the plastic peice on the side of the door, and cant find it ANYWHERE! The dealership here went out of business (looks liike suzuki isn't doing to good some places). Please please please if anybody has any information or resources let me know. thanks a lot!
  • pizardpizard Member Posts: 45
    I have an 04 Verona and I am wondering if there is something wrong with the stabilization of the car. It suddenly seems easier to steer and seems very touchy with the steering. Any ideas if there is a stabilization problem or something else?
  • mickeysgalmickeysgal Member Posts: 11
    Mike,
    Hi. I haven't been on the site for a while but I was wondering if you were able to get your car fixed. We have an 04 and like you had almost no problems. Now it sits in the drive way and we can not use it. Please feel free to contact me at my personal email address. Mickeysgal@comcast.net

Thanks
    Jen
  • 2124dolphin2124dolphin Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I was wondering if any one else has had a problem putting gas into their gas tank. When I pump the gas in, it acts like it is full, like I am topping it off and the gas comes rushing back out at me. I know for a fact that the tank is not full because I ran out of gas when I went under the assumption that maybe the guage was wrong. I can't pump gas in it for more than a few second at a time. Any suggestions?Thanks
  • 05suzuk05suzuk Member Posts: 1
    HEY WHAT S UP EVERY ONE OR NO ONE AT ALL DOES ANYONE CHAT HERE. I JUST BOUGHT A 05 VERONA AND IT HAS 39000 MILES AND IS GOOD CONDITION . I DONT HAVE AN OWNERS MANUEL WHERE CAN I GET ONE FOR FREE ? DOES THIS CAR REALLY SUCK? I LIKE MINE SO FAR BUT THERE IS ROM FOR IMPROVEMENT.
  • veronadriver1veronadriver1 Member Posts: 3
    It's not a bad car, ive heard a lot of bad things that have happened to it but i would say just take care of it because if you don't you will have a lot more problems. I just hit 100,000 miles on mine and its still running, i just need to replace my wheel bearing which costs $150 for the part, and $300 for labor.
    Yes this car is a piece of crap!!! I have an '04 and it has 103,000 miles on it and it has sat in my driveway for a year because the cylinders are messed up. I did all the required maintenance and still the car died on me. There are also many other problems with the cars. If you'd like to know I can list them out for you, all though I am sure I did that already on here somewhere.
  • evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    Mickey, what do you mean your "cyclinders are messed up?" I have an 04 with about 64k on it and, on two occasions when being serviced by the dealer, they found things they didn't like (oil leak and low oil pressure) and they threw in a whole new engine both times. If yours doesn't run because of cylinder problems, it sounds like you need a new engine. The warranty for that kind of problem is 7 years so you should be ok, unless you have a crappy dealer.
    We have an early 2004 model (made in June of 2003). Don't know free owner's manual source. We like our Verona very much, though it is not flawless. The reliability has been excellent with no repair costs. Free work includes one engine computer update, one radio reset, and one replacement oxygen sensor when the engine warning light stayed on. Best part is the very smooth engine. The ride is good, interior space excellent, and the pass-through back seat is very useful. The leather is durable and the roof window never leaks. I would buy the latest six-speed automatic version if it were available in the USA. It is currently sold in Britain, New Zealand, and Australia. There may be more. If you have a specific owner's manual question I may be able to help.
  • jason25jason25 Member Posts: 8
    Well its apparent that not much activity occurs here but I'll share my experience with this car anyway. It seems that people who bought the Verona either had a nearly flawless example or one with lots of problems. My Verona was somewhere in between. Within the first 25,000 miles I had to have the transmission replaced (under warranty), 02 sensors, and they supposedly fixed the cylinder misfiring problem. Between about 25,000 to 50,000 miles, it ran pretty well without many issues (though my image of the car was obviously tainted after having all that work done within a short time). Now at 58,000 miles the cylinders are misfiring again, sounds like the left rear strut/shock is giving out, and I just had my front bearings replaced. Yesterday morning while starting the car I realized this strange clicking coming from the engine department. The click increases with engine speed too. Very strange. I'll be taking the car in Monday to get a diagnostics test so I can see everything that is wrong with it. I really like my car and would love to keep it (I'll be done paying for it this year!!), but I'm a little worried about the long-term reliability. Its a good car, it just has lots of little quibbles that shouldn't be apparent on 5-year old car. Nonetheless, I'll keep you all updated...
  • poulsbokidpoulsbokid Member Posts: 13
    well I haven't posted in a long time but still read any new messages as I am sure others do. my 2005 I have yet to have 25000 miles on yet. I hope this is something I dfo not have to look forward to. After 8 months of it being in the shop with 3 others having the same problem they ended replacing the catalytic converter along with other things. Now the ford dealer will no longer work on them and I have to go 50 miles away to sucki dealer
  • blouieblouie Member Posts: 1
    Our miles are very similar and I have experienced all those problems and more. It is at the dealer as I type trying to get approval for new engine. It died two days ago while driving on eway with my son. I'm fighting with suzuki corp to get this vehicle fixed, but they are tripping. You MOST definitely will be needing a new engine soon. That's the history with the 2004 Suzuki Veronas
    That is very discouraging. At the dealer they claimed the engine light code was reading that there was an error with banks 1 and 2. I asked what that meant exactly and they claimed that it could mean a number of things. I stood there with a blank face for a few minutes before they told me I would have to bring the car back for them to fully diagnose the problem. This was after them having the car from 8 am to 4 pm. Unacceptable. As you could imagine I was quite upset. I haven't been back since and other mechanics can't seem to diagnose the problem either. This is very frustrating. I am seriously debating on whether or not to just get rid of the car. These issues should not be happening on a modern car with under 60,000 miles. :(
    The Verona has the General Motors On Board Diagnostic system. It should not be difficult for trained and competent mechanics to diagnose the problem. Perhaps your car did not receive their full attention while at the dealership. I suggest that you take what I post here to your service manager. I don't understand the reference to "banks 1 and 2." Normally, the term "banks" refers to separate rows of cylinders in a v-type engine. The Verona has only one row of cylinders because it uses an inline engine, placed at right angles to the length of the vehicle.
    So basically these people are complete idiots??? When I asked them what they meant by an error with banks one and two, they simply replied that it could mean a number of things and that I would have to bring the car back for them to fully diagnose the problem. I'm very sure that my car did not get their full attention. This is very discouraging. If my finances allowed, I would trade this car TODAY. But that just isn't going to be a feasible option until at least next year. I honestly don't see myself driving this car past 2010. It sucks because this was my first new car and I would love to drive it well past 100,000 miles. But if I am having these issues @ under 60,000k miles, I can only imagine what the issues will amount to after 100k. :(
  • littlelilittleli Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Verona and just recently when I go to get gas it clicks off like it is full. It clicks and clicks and it takes forever to put in a couple gallons. I have taken it to a mechanic and they said that they cannot find anything wrong with it. My boyfriend took it apart to check the goose neck and it is not bent or damaged either. I was just wandering if any one has had this problem or can give me some ideas. I hate to take it to the Suzuki dealer because every time I take it there some thing else breaks as soon as I get it back. Not very trust worthy. Thank you.
  • blkbobblkbob Member Posts: 36
    littleli--

It has more to do with the gas station pump itself. Alot of stations discourage "topping off" your tank (y'know getting that last ounce of gas to round off to the next nearest whole dollar) by having a mechanism that shuts off the gas when it back flushes back into the gas pump nozzle. Some nozzles are sensitive and some shoot gas so fast into your car's goose neck that it backflushes prematurely (something to do with a physics lesson involving that you can only shove liquid through a pipe only so fast). I would suggest for those fast gas pumps that you back off on the pump handle and slow the fuel flow. On a side note I think some gas stations have their "anti-topoff" settings set too sensitive.
  • blkbobblkbob Member Posts: 36
    Poulsbokid!!

Dang, you still have that car?!!! I'm ALSO just checking back to satisfy my curiosity (plus I'm severely bored at work) in regards to Suzuki Motors company reacting on Verona issues........sadly I see they lost interest.

For those that never ventured far back enough to read posts from August 2006 to September 2007, I was one of the rare members who successfully had Suzuki Motors Corporation buy back their Verona. I had to get a "lemon law" lawyer to send a threat of litigation for Suzuki to do that but it worked nonetheless. Long story short, the 2005 Verona that I had was one of thee worst, it actually shut off on me while I was going 65mph with a 18-wheeler on my butt. Suzuki put over $20,000 of new parts and labor into a $15,000 Verona through 13 visits to the mechanic. They extended my warranty and would have put even more money into the warranty work if not for the threat of litigation. When finally I returned it to a Suzuki rep for a buyback, the Verona would barely stay on and when it did it jerked along no faster than 25mph. In fact the rep couldn't even get it started to move it into another lot, he needed some dealership mechanics to come out to help him push!

My overall conclusion about the whole experience is that Suzuki did play nice by honoring their warranty and even extending it but they failed at finding the root of the problem and were jerks for initially refusing my pleas for a buyback.
    I do not top off my tank last few times I have gone to Costco to get fuel It has overflowed. I click on the lever for it to fill with out me holding it so I can do my windows etc. I have been going there with this car since I have owned it and it has happened Just the last 2 times. They have once again updated the nozzles and this is the problem they don't stick in as far as they use to.
    Yes I still have the car after the last time it was in the shop for a month it is fixed. I have not had a problem since. But I do not drive it that much. I have a scooter now that I drive to work when its nice and it been in the 90's for weeks now. Course me holding a sign down at the dealer asking why I wasn't driving my new car helped GRIN. Now I have to go 2 hours away to a suzki dealer to work on my car as they have fled from our city. GLTA
  • jacarigjacarig Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Suzki Verona S that was given to me from my mother. I'm 19 years old and this is my first car. I received it in 2007 as a gift during my junior year of high school. It currently has 60,800 miles. So far the things that has had to be replaced are:

- Faulty transmission at around 17,000 miles replaced under warranty
    - Cylinders were misfiring and was repaired at around 42,000 miles
    - I hit a curb and ruined the front bearings, had those replaced at 52,000 miles

Other than those, only regular maintenance has been performed. From what I have read in these forums, my Verona seems to be one of the only few that runs the way it should. My car definitely isn't as bad as the posts on here suggest. I suppose I got lucky ;). Now at about 61,000 miles its time for the 60,000 mile service interval. I called the dealer and they said the price is $489! Ouch. As you could imagine, at 19 years old, that is a lot of cash coming out of my pocket. So my question is is there anywhere else that I could go to get my car serviced for less? Are there any certified places that can service my car properly? And would it void my powertrain warranty if I serviced it there? I thought about PepBoys or Tire Kingdom, but they don't even carry the oil filter for my car any longer, so I'm not too sure. Any input would be appreciated :)
  • 04koreanvin04koreanvin Member Posts: 1
    Evergreen ? Where in Bend did you get your engine done? Hear is our story

We bought a Suzuki Verona 2004 used from a car dealership in madras Oregon in Feb 2008. The car was sold as is. We were told by the salesman that the car was serviced regularly and that it had never showed any mechanical issues. His pitch included that Suzuki offered a 7 year 100,000 mile power train warranty and that goes with the car regardless of how many owners it was to have.(this is also stated on their website @
    http://www.suzukiauto.com/owners/warranty.php?r=top
    A fully transferable, zero-dollar deductible 100,000-mile/7-year power train limited warranty on all new vehicles sold after August 1, 2002.
    •Duration - Suzuki's power train limited warranty covers 100,000 miles or 7 years, whichever comes first.
    •Transferable - The power train warranty can be transferred from owner to owner, adding value at the time of resale or trade-in.
    •Deductible - There is no deductible, so Suzuki owners won't have an out-of-pocket expense.
    Their pitch was very convincing. We put $1000.00 down and rolled over our 2004 dodge intrepid..... Which was serviced regularly and had absolutely nothing wrong. We simply wanted a car with premium preferred features that would lower our payments. The dealership assisted us by getting us refinanced in the Suzuki. To this day they have yet to give all the paperwork that we signed, although we have call them several times. We received some. With in a short time I would say about a month the check engine light would come on and we returned to the dealership and they reset the light. In May of 2008 the car died and protesting with the dealership they sent a tow truck to tow the truck to the dealership. Their dealership where their mechanics looked at the car. They returned the car to us with in 24 or so hours the car was having problems again, we took the car over to the dealership again this time they gave us a courtesy car and transferred the car to a bigger dealership in bend Oregon where the car had prior to us had all its service done at. They looked over the car and changed the battery and returned the car to us. We moved from central Oregon to Beaver ton in August. In about a month or so of living here we started having problems again we called the dealership again they told us to take it to the closes Suzuki dealership. We did that dealership we bought the car from refused to help any more after Suzuki dealership told them amount the car may cost. We had car serviced twice at the glad stone Suzuki in Milwaukee Oregon. Over this last year we have been in contact several times in connection to the problems we are having with this car. Oct 24th 2009 the car became completely undriveable. The car while driving on the hwy 217 went from 58 miles down to 20 miles per hour with no power and unable to be driven any longer. We drove the car with flashers on and our entire family in the vehicle to shoulder of the road. My husband being a tow truck driver was able to get it tow to their lot and their mechanic ran a diagnoses and after reading original codes changed the plugs, clean throttle body and changed out upstream O2 sensor and checked the coils. He checked the oil, coolant for traces for carbon. He them tried to test drive the vehicle , same situation occurred no power. We called the Gladstone Suzuki dealership and spoke to them several time throughout week discussing situation with them. My husband work mechanic said do to the codes being thrown he suggested that Suzuki look at the vehicle. We called on Wednesday again Speaking to the shop manager again about this car. He said that if we can get the car there he have the mechanics look at it again. On Thursday morning my husband towed the car to Gladstone Suzuki. Later that day we called to see if they had been able to look at the car, in fact they did it wasn't good they felt the engine was bad and had a call into the Suzuki corp back east to find out about replacing engine on power train warranty. They would not hear anything back until Friday from Suzuki. We called on Friday afternoon about 2 pm to find out if they had heard back. Suzuki is telling them to drop oil pan and pull valve cover to inspect for sludge any traces void warranty and charge us for all service rendered and to come....Our problem not theirs. This will happen on Monday. We have spoken to three mechanics about this and about the situation with the car. They have advised us to contact a lawyer that the likely hood due to the cars mechanical issues that we have been pleading with the dealership (S) about might have caused something beyond what our servicing the vehicle would of caused. Suzuki is looking for a reason. On Monday they will be dropping the pan and pulling the valve cover we have told them that my husband will be present at this time and will be taking pictures. We will have pictures reviewed by several professionals mechanics..... pending the outcome of what they do or say on Monday....
    Sorry to hear about all your problems. No matter what kind of car you drive, finding an honest and reputable dealer is the key to happiness. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of good dealers. I guess I was just lucky. I actually bought my 04 Verona in Oct. 03, from Timberline Dodge/Suzuki on NE Sandy Blvd. We moved to Bend in May of 04 and I have had all my service done at Smolich Suzuki here in Bend. They have been extremely professional in all my dealings with them. Actually, I never have had any problems with the Verona but, when doing routine servicing, the Smolich mechanics have found issues that they thought could develop into a more serious problem. Susequently, they replaced the head on the engine the first time and then they decided to replace the engine a few months later. Then they decided the new engine wasn't working right so they put in another new motor. They always have to get approval from Suzuki Headquarters but that has never been a problem. They always give me a rental car and none of this has cost me a penney. There is a whole lot to like about the car and every time I test drive a new car, like a Camry, Mercury Milan, etc., I always come away feeling like it would be a step down. We will end up buying a Rav4 one of these days just because of the snow we get in Bend but, when we do, I know there will be times when I will long for my Verona.

That said, some folks have had serious problems with their Veronas. Many haven't been happy with their dealer's response and that is unfortunate. Suzuki has even bought back some cars from unhappy owners but they might not be doing that anymore because of the age of the cars. I doubt if any lemon laws would apply to a 5 year old car, either. My suggestion would be to keep applying pressure on the Suzuki dealer and even Suzuki headquarters if necessary. The dealer in Madras is not a Suzuki dealer so there is nothing he can do, but any Suzuki dealer should be willing to do warranty work. I used to live in Milwaukie and Oregon City but I have never had any dealings with the Suzuki dealer there. Just keep the heat on them and good luck. Post an update when things get settled.
    Be cautious in believing the individual claiming that "Suzuki is telling them to drop oil pan and pull valve cover to inspect for sludge any traces void warranty and charge us for all service rendered and to come."

Ask to see the email and, if necessary send your own email to Suzuki USA asking for clarification. I would be surprised to find any any after a few thousand miles with zero trace of sludge. Sludge can build up easily under some conditions of short-trip driving, and especially in cold weather months. You may recall that Toyota had a major sludge problem with some of its Camry engines just a few years ago. After initially trying to blame owners, it conceded that the engine design might be a contributing factor and later announced that it had made engine modifications. The Verona may be more prone than most engines to sludge because it has an abnormally larger oil capacity relative to the engine displacement. Larger oil capacity require more time to warm up, thus increasing the percentage of operating time during which the oil is below normal operating temperatures.
    Evergreen, I haven't been on this in a long time. I don't know a lot of the terminology of the mechanics however I believe that my cylinders are misfiring. We took it to the dealer and this is what they have told me. If we have them do the work the repair bill is $8500.00. It isn't covered under warantee anymore because I was driving far for work and racked up the miles. And the DM (district manager) in our area saw the mileage and wasn't willin gto help. So my car sits in the driveway dead. I was hoping that I could find more people that have had these issues. I know that it is a problem with the engine, however I don't know how to prove it.
    Mickeysgal....I think that Suziki isn't going to bend over backwards to help fix a problem if the car is out of waranty. A good lawyer might be able to get them to provide a little help but, because these cars just aren't worth very much any more, the lawyer might be more expensive than the repair work. I hope the $8500 quote you received was for a whole new engine. I was rear ended a few months ago and the other driver's insurance company told me if they decided to total the car, they would give me $7600 and then sell it back to me, If I wanted it, for $800. I thought that was a very fair deal for an 04 Verona. Unfortunately, they decided to fix it. They even took care of some dings on the side that were there before the accident. With my latest motor, which only has 20k miles on it, and the back end looking like new, I am a happy camper. I have one more year on the warranty and will probably have to make a decision then whether or not to keep it or sell it. If I were in your shoes, though, I don't think I would spend $8500 to get a new motor. Some folks have had transmission problems as well as motor problems so it could start getting expensive to keep it running correctly.
    edited August 2011
    Eevergreen....I don't think that I expect them to bend over backwards. I was actually hoping at the time that they would just cover a portion of it. The $8500 was to replace the cylinders. I am not a person that expects to get stuff for free. The more that I read on the posts the more and more I read that the engine has trouble. These cars aren't worth ****. I like the way it looks and the features that are on the car. I also think that an engine should last more then 103,000 miles. And yes I did take care of my car doing proper oil changes and tune ups, etc. I am just at a loss.
    mickeysgal......I guess what I was trying to say was that a whole new motor costs less than $8500. Maybe it would be worth it if you planned to drive the car another 100,000 miles. Chances are your transmission would need to be replaced before then so you might be better off getting a different car.

Also, the cylinders are not something you replace. Cylinders are just holes in the block that provide a space for the pistons to travel. In a major overhaul, those holes would be re-bored and you would need a lot of other new parts to make it all run again. So the question you need to ask yourself is whether it is better to spend $8500 to get the motor overhauled or something less to get an entirely new engine. A new engine should last longer than an overhauled engine, too.
    edited August 2011
    Evergreen, funny thing is that I wouldn't trust that car no matter what was done to it. Like I said before, I expect an engine to last longer then it did. You do the scheduled maintenance on the vehicle, why? What for? And it isn't like that car is cheap to maintain. Sorry I don't mean to seem bitter, but this car is a sore subject. I would love to put it in the middle of a corn field and blow it up. Just for kicks! But I would be the one to get arrested since it isn't my field.
    The part that really got me is the customer sevice center in california and the dealer had two different stories as to why my car was being rejected and they wouldn't help us.
    We have recently found a used engine (see I asked about a new engine that was $10,500) to put in the vehilce for a hell of a lot less money then that. We are thinking about doing that and selling it. But how do I not feel guilty of selling the ****? I don't know. It is kind of a catch 22.
    my 2004 suzuki verona have 93,0000 mils, and i want to change the oil whats oil is the best for this milleage 10w-30 , 10w-40 , 5w-30 or 20-50 .?.
    93,000 miles and time to change the oil. You would think a car could go at least 100,000 miles before changing the oil. I would suggest the 5w-30. I think that is what Suzuki put in it when they built it and I don't think that engine likes other weights.