Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• beverenbeveren Member Posts: 3
    The horn on my 2006 Outback is pathetic. Does anyone have experience with after-market horns such as the PIAA dual horn?
    I have a 2006 LLBean with the high-end radio, but wish I had the MP3 Player as in the 2007 model. The dealer says no way, but go to an auto radio installer and they can do it. I have yet to find an after-market store that can install an MP3 Player.

Can I replace the 2006 radio with a 2007? Dealer says no, but I'm looking for another opinion.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Hella Supertones in conjunction with the stockers is what I run.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The radio installer can probably use an in-line antennae adaptor. Basically it plus in to the antennae slot, and the antennae plugs in to it.

I think that's how it works.
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    The Outback wagon requires the Yakima Low-Rider towers and the Legacy wagon requires the EZ-Rider towers. You can't use Low-Riders on the Legacy because of the type of side rails it has.
    Are you talking about aux-in, or the capability to play MP3 CDs? I am pretty sure the 06 Bean radio can play MP3 CDs.

If you are referring to an aux-in, it can be installed on any of the 05-06 Legacy/Outback radios. Check out:

http://www.jazzyengineering.com/

I had one of these kits in my 05 Outback XT and it worked great (and was only $25 back in 2004!). The sound quality was excellent. Stay away from the RF modulators and transmitters, which pipe in sound over FM. The dynamic range and the sound quality is not good at all (it is better than nothing, but as we know, FM quality is not that great).
  • rlirwinrlirwin Member Posts: 2
    We are looking at getting 2007 or 2008 Outback 2.5i. Has anyone had experience with the 2007 cloth upholstery in terms of confort and wear. The 2008 looks a little better, but it doesn't look as sturdy. Thanks
    The taupe seems to show dirt/scuffs easily, but the cloth itself is fairly durable in my limited experience (mostly leather here). The charcoal cloth seems like a safe bet.
  • eric102eric102 Member Posts: 122
    Although not an 07 or 08 my 2002 charcoal cloth is holding up very well, it still looks new to me. The car has 60,000 miles and is a daily commuter, so it's not a garage queen.
    I'm going to look for some black or grey leather seats for my 05 LGT Wagon when the cloth ones wear out.

-mike
    c hunter, Thanks. I am talking about an aux-in to the radio. I believe that this is what I was looking for. I have a transmitter broadcasting the iPod signal to my FM radio and it isn't satisfactory. I am unsure of how I read the selection being played. Do I still need to read the iPod, or is it displayed on the radio screen?
  • chetlaninchetlanin Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 Outback 2.5 Limited. Right around 8k miles i started to encounter a whistling noise coming from the front axle which disappersa on high speeds and when car comes to a stop it turns into a moaning and groaning low pitch noise. It sounds a lot like a subway train when it comes to a stop. It does not happen all the time. The only possible condition I was able to track - a lot of stop and go traffic. I had a technician look at the breaks - nothing. It does not seem to affect performance (breaking or otherwise) at all Any ideas??
  • subarufaqsubarufaq Member Posts: 3
    I had almost the same problem a few days ago. The axle got louder at around 25-35 mph. The following post really helped me out. I kept backing up in a very quiet neighborhood until I heard something getting out. I sometimes drove on roads where construction was going on. Maybe my Outback picked up some stone or wood debris there.
    ---------------------------------------------
    kmclean, "Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+" #9576, 30 Nov 2006 12:25 pm

Fourth vote for a pebble. Had that happen to me last summer - sure got my attention. Stopped the car (no effect on braking noted), backed up about 20-30 yards or so, that solved the problem. I assume the reverse motion helped back out the pebble the way it came in.
  • subarufaqsubarufaq Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, kmclean! You saved me a trip to a service shop.
  • gmwaltersgmwalters Member Posts: 20
    I just test drove a 2007 CR-V and a 2007 2.5i over the exact same circuit. 2.5i drove and handled very well, but the air conditioning never seemed to get the car cool ( the air coming out seemed cool). What's the consensus on the air conditioning performance of the 2.5i outback...anyone find it somewhat weak?
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    The last time we had this discussion, I had yet to use the A/C on my 2007 Outback, but never had any problems with it in my '96 Outback - even in 100+ Eastern Oregon heat.

The last week here in Fairbanks was 80+ degrees most days, so I gave it a work out. I agree - I think it is weak. It works fine for 85 degrees, but it keeps the car at *just* comfortable going full fan and on recirculate.

The problem is that it does not run on full cold continuously. It will get extremely cold for about 5 seconds, then it is cool for another 5-10, then extremely cold again. If it stuck to extremely cold, it would be excellent and I would actually need to turn the fan speed down to keep the car at a comfortable temperature.

Now, were I to take it to Eastern Oregon again in August with 100+ degree days, I think it would fail miserably. Or maybe it would just fail and I would be the miserable one!

There was a fella here a couple weeks back complaining about the A/C on his car in Georgia. I can certainly see his point now.

It may be more effective in the sedans (which have less air space and fewer windows). It is not bad, but it is not great either.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • plim77plim77 Member Posts: 46
    I owned a 2005 Honda CR-V which I traded in for a 2005 Subaru Outback LLBean 3.0. My wife drives a 2006 Legacy 2.5i.

I agree that the CR-V's air conditioner was much cooler and was able to get the car really cold, really fast. However, I've had no problems with either Subaru's air conditioner (The 2.5i has the standard AC, the 3.0 has the temperature control). It's not as strong, but still effective.

Overall it's a relatively minor thing. The Subaru is a much better car- I've owned 3 Honda Accords before the CR-V. I'll probably stick with Subaru for a very long time.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Another thought... CRV comes with tint from the factory, correct? Did the Outback have aftermarket window tint, or no tint? Outback has pretty substantial glass area, so this can make a huge difference.

We've tinted our Outback and Legacy (just a medium tint, nothing really dark), and have absolutely no problems with the car cooling. $250 should do it. Don't go with cheap tint or a cheap shop... with tinting, you generally get what you pay for.
    I was thinking the same thing and, if I were to keep the car, I would tint the windows. Not only would it be a nice solar reduction for children in the rear seats, but would probably look very good on a silver car. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • plim77plim77 Member Posts: 46
    I agree completely. The CR-V does have factory tinted windows in the rear seat and cargo area (the front windows were not).

I've been planning on getting the Outback's windows tinted- the Subarus on TV commercials and catalogues look cool with them tinted, not to mention what you said about helping to keep the car cool.

I still have to work on my wife. I think she doesn't want the tint because then she can't wave at her friends when she drives!
    Easy fix, there! Just tint the 5 windows in the rear and call it a day. No visibility issues and the cool factor is still in effect. ;)
    The dual sunroof lets in even more heat, but at least there's a sunshade for that.
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    If you do the tinting make sure to do the sunroofs as well. I think a decent tint job makes the car look really nice, besides cooling it down. Here's my 06 OB with the 35% tint done all around.

See more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

The 20% would look nicer, but I felt it would be too dark.

Mark
    Gotta say that looks pretty SCHWEET!
    Looks sharp, Mark! Black-on-black's very sporty! Sure not what I picture when I think of a Beaner (2-tone, earthy colors). ;)

We have 35% on ours, too, same reasoning... plus 35%'s the legal limit here. We had ours done in a subtle bronze color (can look pinkish if it's 20%, though), which I think works well with the ivory interior and allows warmer-toned light into the cabin, which I like in my often gray corner of the world.
  • gmwaltersgmwalters Member Posts: 20
    It seemed to me that it was a matter of air volume being circulated rather than the temp of the air coming out of the ducts. The blower was set as high as it would go (4); if i did that in my Accord or my Explorer, I would freeze. Just returned from a trip in the Explorer where is was 91 degrees and the air conditioner actually made the interior COLD when set about midway speed. The Explorer does have factory tinted glass, but both the Accord and Explorer seem to move quite a bit more air.
  • oldadcoldadc Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me the filter location on the 2003
    3.0 L outback ?

Thanks
    Look in the owners manual for details (or even better, the instructions that come with the replacement filter). Basically, it's behind/under the glovebox.
  • luck11luck11 Member Posts: 425
    Funny, I find the AC on my 05 OB XTL just fine, in fact, think its overkill. We were driving in 95 degree weather (felt like 104 when they factor in humidity) up here in the Great White North (Eastern Ontario) and we had plenty of AC. Mind you, I too have my car tinted with 35% all around, including the roof.

What ticks me off with this system is that I had to crank the climate control to 25.5 celcius (80 degrees F) just to get the AC to run so that wasn't freezing my arms off. Geez...I get enough cold during our winters!!!

Other thing that irks me, and not sure if it is still a problem on current Soobs, but if I want fresh air (no AC) coming in thru the vents and set the climate to lowest setting (ie 18 degrees C), the system blows out HOT air! This is especially true if the car is motionless while the engine is running a while. Frustrating.
    That is pretty much across the board though, anytime you have fresh air coming in and it's warm ambient temps you will have engine heat getting sucked in. I have the same issue on my Armada, my 240sx, my first gen legacy, my SVX, etc.

-mike
    You can find some detailed instructions & diagrams for air filter replacement for your model here:
    http://www.cars101.com/subaru/airfiltration.html#00-04legacy
  • brodtiebrodtie Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone guide me in the right direction to get sattelite radio and MP3 in my legacy. I've talked to people who say i have to put a new deck in and run the sattelite and MP3 player off the new deck. Is there anyway that i can keep the factory stereo and hardwire either the MP3 or sattelite radio, or both?

Also is there a instal kit for a new deck. I've had people tell me that there isn't and they have to fabricate one. :confuse:
  • willocwilloc Member Posts: 19
    brodtie, get thyself to www.jazzyengineering.com stat!

It takes a little work, but you can do the install in about an hour. Perfect connection with no loss in sound quality. I use it with my iPod and Sirius deck. Get the ground loop interruptor if you plan on using it with sat - not really necessary with the iPod unless you use the car charger (it can introduce some alternator whine).
    You cannot replace the stock stereo on the 05+ Legacies if you have the automatic climate control. Best you can do for an upgraded stereo would be to add a stereo in the pocket spot and re-wire everything to that.

I would suggest doing the jazzyengineering thing on the OEM stereo. That's what I plan to do on my 05 LGT.

-mike
  • mrcaloxmrcalox Member Posts: 1
    Hi mike,

I need some help. I'm planning to buy a legacy 2008 and I wanted to know if I will be able to have an amplifier in the car without changing the stereo.

thanks

martin
    I'm pretty sure you can put an inline amp in, although, you'll probably want to upgrade the speakers to handle the higher amps.

-mike
  • pathtomaxpathtomax Member Posts: 215
    I keep changing my mind between the 08 LL Bean R and the XT Limited. My partner just bought a new RX350 with Navigation so I really don't need that as an option. Plus, I REALLY miss driving a 5-speed.

So, that points me toward the XT Limited with 5speed. Some questions:

- Does the 5speed receive the SI Drive with it? I can't see that it would be necessary but I see it listed as standard.
    - Does this have VDC? Again, I have seen it listed here on Edmunds as Std, but on other sites Std only on the Auto.
    - Anyone out there have one? Even here in NH, they are hard to find on the lots! I wonder if I will ever be able to test drive one before ordering it. The local dealership in Exeter, NH has an Auto XT.

Thanks!
  • scottinkyscottinky Member Posts: 194
    does the 08 OB have rear ac vents?
    Yes, SI-Drive and VDC are standard on the manual XT limited. (Hee hee... careful calling it a 5-speed, since the automatic has 5 speeds as well!)

My dealer here in Seattle has 8 XT Ltds in stock w/manual tranny, by the way. You can use subaru.com to search inventory (by state, I believe).

The 6-cyl has smooth, continuous power delivery, the turbo has more peaky power and delivers more gut-wrenching "oomph". Fun or smooth, they're both good engines. :) Sounds like you've got smooth covered with the Lexus, so the XT Ltd might be fun for you!

You may be able to find a Forester XT Sports with a manual tranny to test-drive. It'd give you a good idea of what the Outback would feel like, performance wise, though the Outback would be a touch slower (it's heavier) and ride smoother than the Forester.

SI-Drive's "intelligent" mode is good for driving in slick conditions & for improving fuel economy when you're just toolin' around town. Pulled this from Green Car Congress website:
    "The SI-Drive controls the electronic throttle system’s response and fuel and ignition curves to modify engine torque characteristics, changing the performance character of the car in each mode.
    With “Intelligent” mode selected, the system reduces engine torque and maximum power and switches to a more relaxed throttle response curve. Intelligent mode is an ideal choice for smoother response while commuting in traffic, for example, where it can also help boost fuel efficiency by up to 10%, according to Subaru.
    Intelligent mode’s more relaxed responses and lower torque output complement the low-traction surface driving safety provided by the Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive System.
    When “Intelligent” mode is selected in vehicles with a manual transmission, a shift-up indicator blinks to signal the optimal shift point for maximum fuel efficiency.
    In “Sport” mode, the performance of the 2.5 GT spec.B (and other 2007 turbo Legacy and Outback models) is similar to the 2006 model, with quick throttle responses and powerful, linear acceleration. The linear acceleration characteristic of this versatile mode makes it ideal for driving on freeways and suburban streets or for climbing mountain roads.
    In “Sport Sharp” mode, SI-Drive modifies the engine’s electronic throttle mapping to deliver lightning quick throttle response and more power sooner."

On the automatic models, SI-Drive also changes the transmission's shift pattern.
    Rear vents in the Outback are under the front seats. I think air flows to the back pretty well anyway, if you adjust the front dash vents appropriately. Only Subaru model that has ceiling vents is the Tribeca (which actually has rear controls & another AC condenser in the 7-pass model).
    Thank you for all of the information! That is very helpful. You are right about calling it a 5-speed- I have been living with my Outback Limted 4EAT for far too long it seems ;)

I have researched the dealerships in my general area- between NH and ME and I found only one XT with an Auto transmission. I just have to broaden the search and keep looking as they are stocking up on the 08's right now.

Yes, it will be fun to have the gut-wrenching oomphh of a new car. My trusty Outback is great but never going to win at a drag race ;)
  • dbike1dbike1 Member Posts: 7
    My buddy bought an XT in the 2005 model year and, although it performs like a rocket, he is a little put out by poor fuel economy (substantially worse than my 05 VDC). YMMV

Last week the turbo unit blew up and the car now sits at the dealer waiting for Subaru to find a new replacement (it has been 10 days now and they haven't yet located one). It will be covered under the warranty (barely) ... he still has the option of buying the extended warranty (which I am pretty sure he will get). Call this a lesson learned.

I urge you to go into the turbocharger option with your eyes wide open.

DB
  • luck11luck11 Member Posts: 425
    I have a 05 XT Limited, and I agree fuel economy is not the best, but just like any car, driving habits significanly impact fuel economy. If you drive it hard, it will suck the juice. Comparing you driving your VDC to him driving his XT is like comparing apples to oranges. If either you or him were driving both cars, then I would more inclined to accept your statement.

Furthermore, your words "rocket" "blew up turbo" suggest to me that your buddy has a bit of a lead foot (presuming he has owned this car from new), which would certainly influence mileage, and longevity of any car, regardless of turbo or not. My turbo has performed flawlessly for almost 3 yrs now...then again, I don't drive like I'm in a F1 race either.

My only gripe about the turbo is a persistent "hesitation" issue upon acceleration. I think this was a symptom of some 05s and 06s. It's never worked itself out for me, even though I understand it has for others.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    Last week the turbo unit blew up and the car now sits at the dealer waiting for Subaru to find a new replacement (it has been 10 days now and they haven't yet located one). It will be covered under the warranty (barely) ... he still has the option of buying the extended warranty (which I am pretty sure he will get). Call this a lesson learned.

Wow, for all the modified LGTs and WRXs (and DSMs) in my peer group, that is the first time I have heard of any kind of issue like that with the turbo.
    Consumer Reports actually lists the turbo models very slightly more reliable than the normally aspirated 4-cylinder Subarus. Like any extra feature, it's another thing that can go wrong, but Subaru's turbos have a great reputation for longevity.

Glad it was under warranty for your buddy! Whew! (I'd probably get the extended warranty at that point too, if that happened to me.)
    I pretty much live and breathe by what Consumer Reports says and that is why I have stuck to Subaru's and Nissans for my cars. (Toyota's bore me and EVERYONE has a Honda!!)

I have seen that the gas mileage is not too good for the XT. Plus, I just read it takes only premium fuel. :( I currently work from home so right now, the driving will be easy and won't have to get gas too much. I am in sales, so it could be different tomorrow.

I guess I would consider the 4 cylinder manual- but are they actually offering that in the Limited or LL Bean edition?
  • dbike1dbike1 Member Posts: 7
    A bit of clarification ...

The XT is his wife's car, so I think you can rule out any F1 driving techniques. It is a 5EAT so it is (at best) difficult to wind it up. Most of it's miles are on long highway trips in the northwest. I choose to think it is just a random failure, but I am puzzled by the difficulty in finding replacement parts.

This reminds me of the turbo failure I had with one of Volvo's early turbo models. I got to replace its TC with no help from the manufacturer. After that experience, a TC was of little interest to me.

DB
    They are usually quite reliable, because Subaru really beefed those powertrains up. It's basically a de-tuned STI motor, not a tuned up EJ25 base engine.

Think about it - the STI makes 300hp, so that's what the block is designed to handle.
    '08 marks the first model year Subaru has offered LL Bean in 4-cylinder model, but it's not available in manual.

If you drive a typical amount (say 15,000 miles/year), premium fuel will only cost you about $250 extra over the course of a year. More of a psychological effect than a burden on the pocketbook, but yes, it is a little more cost. All Subaru's turbo models require premium fuel.

Subaru recommends premium on the 6-cylinder, but does not require it. (I heard they were going to drop the recommendation, but I haven't been able to substantiate that). It won't void your warranty or damage the engine to use regular unleaded in the 6-cyl. Some folks have reported mildly reduced power and fuel economy using regular unleaded, however, so your cost may end up the same whichever grade of fuel you choose.

A 6-cyl manual LL Bean might be nice for you. Still good power, you get to shift on your own, there are plenty of creature comforts, but you don't HAVE to put premium in. Or, give up on the manual transmission & go with a 4-cylinder for better economy. Lots of options, just no perfect option, eh? :)
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    A 6-cyl manual LL Bean might be nice for you.

There is no such beast, is there? I think the 6-cyl OB's only come with Autos.

As an aside, I have an 06 3.0R. I have a significant hesitation when I really get on the accelerator if I use 87 octane gas. I now use 90+ octane even though it is not required since it gets rid of the hesitation.