Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I agree, it's a concern, but 2 out of hundreds of thousands sold does not make a pattern.

They may help, I wouldn't be surprised, but it's well past warranty and it would not be fair to someone who purchased a Subaru Gold warranty for them to fix it for free, especially given it's not common by any means.
  • dgreene1dgreene1 Member Posts: 9
    Hi. I have an 08 Legacy 2.5 i Special Edition with a seat creak issue (which I've seen mentioned sporadically on this forum). Whenever my body weight shifts in the seat (such as rounding corners) my seat creaks and sounds like an old mattress. I'm an average size person (6' 200lbs) and when I mentioned it to my dealer he just gives me the "never heard of that before" look. After a test drive he says that "he thinks he heard something". Because I've seen other mention of it here, I don't think this problem is specific to my Subaru, and may be a seat design issue. If it's worse in mine for some reason perhaps I can ask (demand) that the seat be replaced. I'm just not sure if that's going to do any good. Comments and suggestions would be appreciated!
  • kat95kat95 Member Posts: 49
    My 08 Legacy drivers seat creaks too, it's drving me crazy. Has been doing it for a long time, like you, I felt what's the point of having it replaced with a new one. I haven't brought it to the dealer for the issue. This is my 4th Subaru and they were all new and never had this issue. I have another problem with the drivers side front or rear clicking/ticking wheel bearing/brake? It makes the noise sometimes and of course it stops when I get to the dealers. They've checked the car and said it has to be a constant sound before they can fix it.
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    Does anyone know what years the newer style Legacy GT wagon was available with a manual transmission? thanks!
    2005 only, IIRC.

Rare breed, if you find a clean one, buy it.
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    Thanks! I'll be looking for a wagon when I decide to replace my 330Ci. I'm not really crazy about the idea, but I take my dog for frequent mountain walks and my back seat needs constant cleaning. The other option I've been considering is a little hatch (new wrx, maybe) , but I'm not sure if there would be enough head room for her with the seats folded down... I wonder if dealerships would let me bring her on test-drives... :)
    I think if you bring a liner they would allow it.
  • morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    This is the first I have heard of pet restraints in a vehicle. I'm a fan of subarus, but I think this is a great concept by Honda:

http://corporate.honda.com/press/article.aspx?id=4984
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    This is the first I have heard of pet restraints in a vehicle. I'm a fan of subarus, but I think this is a great concept by Honda:

Except Volvo has had it since the 60s...
    Good to know! That should be an additional reason for pet owners to consider Volvo.

http://www.automotive.com/auto-news/02/36668/index.html
    You could get a cargo partition in an Outback way back when ('95?), and they already came with a cargo floor liner. Same basic thing, IMHO.

I had a small dog so he was harnessed in the passenger compartment with us. When he got older we'd secure his dog crate and he rode in there.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    We have an '05 2.5i base wagon and rented 2.5i sedan this week. The speakers say H-K (which implies some type of premium sound, although it doesn't seem any better than what we have), there's a sunroof (again seeming highline), but no radio controls on the wheel. And cruse control moved from the stalk to the wheel. They also got rid of the button that allows day-time illumination with the lights on - something we use a lot in fog.
    It still has manual climate control.
    They did upgrade to 17" alloys.

Did Subaru do a rental car only model?
    I don't think Subaru has special fleet-only cars, at least AFAIK. Not enough volume to justify that.

I've seen plenty of crappy Harmon Kardon PC speakers, so the name alone doesn't imply quality. How does it sound compared to your 05?

It's funny how they shuffle what's standard and not included, as if they had a fixed budget and had to choose 5 out of 10 things each year, and each year they change 2 or 3 of those.
  • poodlemom1955poodlemom1955 Member Posts: 10
    I went to the grocery store last evening to get some items to go to a pot luck. Came out of the grocery store, got into the car to go and it started great, however when I put it in gear and stepped on the gas it just petered out. IT was like it had plenty of gas for the egine to start, but no more came when it needed to go. So if anyone has any ideas as to what is the issue I'd welcome any comments.

Nancy
    What I forgot to say was that I drive a 2005 Subaru Outback Wagon LL Bean Edition
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    Fuel pump? Clogged fuel filter?
    When I do start it and it dies it shows an Error message in the trip odometer area. It says ER IU. Haven't been able to find out what it means.
    I walked to the Grocery Store parking lot where my car currently residing and tried starting it again. Somehow thinking (hoping) it would magically be fixed. No such luck. I took notes of the error message showing up at different times. ER IU and ER LC both (at different times) in the trip odometer section and err on the dashboard section where it shows mileage, temp, mpg, etc. Hmmmmmmmm
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    Sounds to me a lot like the fuel pump issue I recently had with my minivan. I am not familiar with those codes, though.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    I believe Er IU is 'Error in the Ignition Unit'
    perhaps Er LC is 'low speed CAN bus error'

... I assume you know that 'CAN' referrs to the computer communications buss between the onboard computer and other periphials. (like dashboard, engine...etc.)

There is all kinds of info available on the internet if you do a search for subaru "ER LC"
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    From the Legacy GT forums I also frequent:

“Er LC” Low speed CAN communication failure
    “Er IU” Body integrated unit failure inside

The 05+ OB/Legacy have all the components connected via LAN and the odometer is designed to show certain error codes. Sorry to hear about that -- I think only the dealer or a qualified shop could troubleshoot what this means.
    I did some quick 'recearch' against this issue, there are a couple of accounts where a weak battery caused this to happen. In those cases, simply charging the battery made the problem go away.

... perhaps you might be so lucky?
  • humid3humid3 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 subaru outback ej25 naturally aspirated with 103K mi. i stopped driving my car because everyday during driving from stop to about 40 mph in the rpm range of 1000 to 2000 rpms i hear almost an engine knock, shrudder, like the engine cant accelerate unless i put the pedal to the floor anything above that rpm range and its fine just low rpms and i have trouble? Suggestions, solutions, something to avoid a $1000 repair?
    You are due for the timing belt change at 105K, so why don't you have this problem addressed as part of your 105K service - which can be done "early" at 103K anyway. Have you kept up with the other service? The 105K service is not cheap - so have the dealer look for codes and try to find out what's wrong before you spend nearly that much in normal 105K maintenance. Have you been changing the plugs & air filter every 30K? Subaru does require more routine maintenance than other makes.
    I actually had the timing belt serviced at 100k along with the spark plugs water pump thermostat, air filter , battery, and the transmission serviced. im afraid its something internal
    Did the knock start right after all that work at 100K? That's a lot of work done at once and my first thought would have been that the knock might be related to something not done right, or a defective part, like a bad spark plug. Have you gone back and had them re-check their work?
  • bobny57bobny57 Member Posts: 30
    I just reached the five year mark with my OB and am very pleased. At the annual service at 35,000 miles I sprang for new front brakes, brake fluid, coolant, engine oil and filter, inspection, spark plugs. Total cost $756. That's ok...you got to pay to play.

Only question: The mechanic didn't replace fuel filter and said it was not necessary. Does that sound right.

Thanks,
    Bob
    Wait 'til 60k, you should be ok.
    Thanks for the prompt reply. It gives me comfort. I'll wait until 60k as you recommend.

Sincerely,
    Bobny57
    i had it checked out and one of my accesory belts was missing "a chunk"
    Yikes, I hope you replaced it?
  • ncc4ncc4 Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2007 Outback and the "belt line molding" on both rear passenger doors need to be replaced. With the doors closed, and in warmer temperatures, when I opened the windows, as they were going down they rolled the molding over. It's supposed to stay flush against the glass.
    The continual "rolling over" will eventually break the molding, then water can easily get in.
    I'm inside the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty ( just! ) so the dealer has ordered the parts.
    Others may want to check this issue on their vehicles.
    Front brakes at 35K??? You gotta be kiddin me. I get a MINIMUM of 60K on brakes and then, it is not the pads which are in need of replacement... it is the rotors which are too rusty....so I replace the pads whilst I have things torn apart.

Perhaps you are one of those which drive with both feet (one on brake and one on throttle)? Both of my parents drive like this so I know it is not uncommon.

Also, most modern antifreeze is designed to go well over 100K miles. (HOAT - hybrid organic acid technology)

Sparkplugs should also go well over 50K.

You ABSOLUTELY should replace brake fluid every 2-3 years reguardless of milage! (or expect expensive brake components to corrode from inside-out)

I beleive fuel-filter is INSIDE the gasoline tank and is part of the fuel-pump assembly. That one is designed to last the life of the fuel-pump. I am not aware of another fuelFIlter besides that.
    The mechanic called me on Friday and said the problem with my car is a fried body integrated or integrating unit. Does that ring a bell with anyone. They ordered a new one and it is supposed to be here any day.

I HOPE!!!

NAF
    Thanks for you informative reply.

I drive as conservatively as possible and mainly on highways but by 35,000 miles I felt that the stops were getting somewhat longer. My mechanic who has serviced my cars for forty years recommended new front brake pads and charged me $167. I trust him with my life. And the brakes do feel firmer now.

As I also have a Lexus GS430 perhaps I am holding my Subie to a higher standard. The Lexus brushes off speed very strongly. But all in all I am very satisfied with the Subie.
    The "feels firmer" has very little to do with installing new pads. (Pads do not alter "firmness" of brake pedal) In-fact, brake-pads should get BETTER as they wear in. Technically, a thin layer of carbon from the pad gets xferred to the steel rotor thus providing a carbon-on-carbon friction surface. Only if you wear the pads clear down to metal will you feel less braking-power.

HOWEVER: Replacing the brake-fluid has EVERYTHING to do with the brake pedal "feeling firmer".

I am not suggesting you did this... but it is worth repeating here .... due to physical charactoristics, installing "high performance" pads may be a bad idea. Most "high performance" pad compositions DO NOT WORK WELL until they are fully warmed up. They are designed to be used under racing-conditions where they are extremely hot. This means a panic-stop will provide LESS braking power with "high performance" pads.

For more details... feel free to join us in the "Stop here, lets talk about brakes" forum here in EDMUNDS
  • ashevilleianashevilleian Member Posts: 15
    I just bought a 2007 out 2.5i with 17" alloy's with pretty new tires. the problem is that they aren't really meant for snow and i'm a ski patroller and need to drive on roads with snow often before they have been plowed. I have a set of 16" blizzaks (sp?) mounted on standard black rims I used on my 2000 VW passat wagon. Can i use these on my outback? will they mess anything up? I don't know if i have a tire pressure sensor thing or not, how do i tell if i have one?

Thanks
    If the bolt pattern fits, they will work. You can put 16" rims on modern Subaru vehicles, but 15" rims are too small now. It doesn't matter if you have the TPMS system on your '07 (I think it was standard on all non-Basic models); if you can live with the little warning light on your dash all winter, you don't really need the sensors in the tires. You *can* get TMPS sensors installed in the secondary rims, but they are pretty spendy; I think around $150. Tirerack.com lists TMPS stems as $140 for a set of four.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Thanks. i don't really know what model i have. It was a fleet car and the dealer said he didn't know what model it was. it's got the 2.5 with the cold weather package and the nicer rims. my valves on the tires are metal if that makes a difference.

Thanks.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    The 2.5i Basic wagon comes with 16-inch steel wheels; all other Outbacks have 17-inch alloy wheels.

2007models include a tire-pressure monitor (except on the Basic wagon);
    Then yes, it has the TPMS system. Again, you can use 16" wheels with it, but you either have to ignore the TPMS warning light on the dash or put stems in it. I will have the same issue with the 2010 Forester I am picking up in a couple weeks. I purchased a used set of 16" factory painted steel Subaru rims off a 2007 Forester model (got a screaming deal on them, too!) to use with my studless winter tires, but I will not put TPMS stems in them.
    yea, i thought i had a 2.5i non-basic. I'm not going to spend any money on a new set of monitors, so i'll just deal with it. i drove around in my passat without the use of windows and other conveniences like that so i think i can deal with a light on.

I was going to get a 2010 forester or outback because i get a good discount as a ski patroller, but i found an 07 for $12k. that's a big difference in cost, eh? i'm going to drive this one for a while and get a diesel in a couple of years when they come out.
    $12K? That's fantastic! If it was well-maintained during its previous life, you should have a great car and it probably won't lose much value over a couple of years. I am not sure where you are located, but around here one would probably pay close to $6K more than that for an '07 Outback 2.5i.

-Wes-
    well...it has 78k miles on it...but other than that, it is perfect. a couple of tiny scratches and that's it. the inside, engine and bottom of car all look like the cars right off the showroom floor.

I'm in asheville NC and my options were 2005 2.5's with 50-60k miles for about 15,900 or 2006-2007's with about the same mileage for $16k-19k. In fact, i found another 2007 like mine with 95k miles for 13,900 and another with 87k miles for 14,500 so i went to a town only about 10 miles away and found mine. The problem here in asheville is that everyone wants a 2005+ but no one wants to get rid of them unless they trade them in on a new one so there are very few used ones around. so the dealers and car salesmen go to auctions Florida and buy as many as they can find.

my plan is to keep it in great condition and trade up in a couple of years. i will only put about 5,000 miles on it this year. My brother got an 05 with 50k miles on it a year ago and is already at 69k and we joke that even though mine has 78k miles on it, he's going to hit 100k way before me.
    Must be all trip miles.

At your slower pace eventually it'll even out.

Congrats. Great price indeed.
    is anyone able to enlighten me as to why my Subaru Outback Wagon 2005 LL Bean would now need a new Body Integrated Unit and Instrument Cluster?My car has less than 90,000miles on it. I am not a very happy camper.
    Unless there was an electrical surge or some oddity that shorted the unit, I do not know. It is rare, for sure.
    You aske why this might happen - let me ask you some questions...

Was your car ever jump-started?
    Was an aftermarket stereo installed? (or any other non-subaru electronic device)
  • fsrphfsrph Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

Looking at buying a 2005 Legacy GT wagon as a 2nd car. It has a lot of the features I'm looking for. However, I really dislike the stock 45 profile tires. Too low profile for me. Does anyone know if I can replace the stock 45 profile tires with one with a higher sidewall? Maybe 55 or 60 profile? Thanks.

Frank
    Not unless you put a smaller rim size on the car so that the overall circumference of the tire remains relatively constant. There is not a lot of space in the wheel wells, so increasing the sidewall height from 45 to 55 or 60 (all other things remaining constant) will increase your tire's diameter by nearly two inches for 55% profile or over 2.5 inches for 60%. I assume this car has what, an 18" rim on it? It should be able to handle 17" rims, though it may have an oversized brake caliper that could preclude smaller sizes such as 16" (which will fit on other '05 Legacy models such as the L, Outback, etc).