Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• jonkronjonkron Member Posts: 5
    Hmm- is it the look of the tires? I run Michelin Pilots on mine at a width of 225. It gives a slightly less agressive appearance w/better contact/traction. The ride is also better than the stock BF Goodriches- but more expensive as well.

If you are looking for a softer ride you may want to skip the GT altogether as it comes with a sport-tuned suspenion (versus non GT models). I wouldn't buy an Outback and throw 45 series performance tires on it, so I am not sure doing the opposite to a GT model makes much sense either...
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    You may also have clearance issues in the wheel well.

Make sure the overall diameter stays within 3% of the original. That's the industry standard, and 3% isn't much.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    Stock Legacy GT is a 215/45R17 IIRC. The Legacy 2.5i is a 205/55/16. I don't know if the brakes are a different size between the two or not. You can always use the miata.net tire size calculator or the tire rack one to find the appropriate size.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Diameter
    24.5 - 24.6" on 215/45-17
    24.9" on 205/55-16
  • ncc4ncc4 Member Posts: 16
    I have a '07 Outback 4-cyl. with the 4 speed automatic and about 30,000 miles. I just did a "drain and fill" on the transmission and the oil smelt burnt, and was brown. I know that engine oil changes color with use, but I didn't think it happened with auto. trans fluid.
    I don't tow anything, and most of my driving is generally flat land commuting.

Anyone know if Subaru transmissions tend to "burn" or discolor the oil, or am I headed for a problem!

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Note that 1.2% variance falls within the industry standard 3%. You have a tiny bit of wiggle room, but not much.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    No, that is not normal at all. Are you headed for a problem? Possibly, but I think it depends more on the conditions under which you drive, your driving habits, and how often you change the fluid. If it is brown, the fluid was significantly overheated at least once. Now you have to determine why.....
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • scottinkyscottinky Member Posts: 194
    this maybe a silly question, but is the rear seat area of this car on the small side? I am considering giving up my Odyssey for one of these, and I have two small kids in carseats. I checked measurements, and it doesn't seem to be much bigger than my wife's Jetta, which is somewhat tight in the back. I want a midsize wagon we wont grow out of in a few years.
    It's a little tight for carseats but much better for children (not in carseats). For a family of four, it is adequate. It is certainly not cavernous like the new model, but it is nothing like, say, a 2+2. Plus, it has generous amount of storage space behind the rear seatback. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    its such a fantastic machine, I really want one, I just think I would miss the space the odyssey provides. Sport wagons are going the way of the dodo. I think I might run down to my subie dealer tomorrow and check out the wagons. I did test drive an outback and really liked it, but i do remember the interior being tight.
    Yes, it definitely has space in different areas. In the wagon, through '09, the passenger space was a little cramped compared to an Odyssey. It was like a typical economy sedan (Camry, Accord, etc) of the 80s/90s: easy access, but not overly generous quarters. I grew up riding in the back seat of 80s sedans and I never felt slighted for space, but there wasn't much room for anything but passengers.

I suspect cargo room is either on par or exceeds that of the Odyssey. The LGT is a nice machine, and it was the only year it could be had wiht a turbo in wagon form of the '05-'09 generation (which is definitely most visually appealing iteration to date).
  • plim77plim77 Member Posts: 46
    I recommend going to a dealership and bringing a car seat with you to see if it will work for you. I am the proud owner of a 2005 Subaru Outback wagon. I just put in an infant car seat and honestly, there's not much room left on the side that has the infant seat. The distance that the front seat can go back was significantly limited. My wife and I are both under 5'4" tall, so this works for us, but taller people would have no leg room in the front (or the back). I love the wagon...but honestly it wasn't designed with an infant car seat in mind; a toddler car seat facing forward might work though.
    i have two toddlers in forward facing seats. I am going to check one out this morning and see. as far as cargo space goes, cant really think of much that can beat the Odyssey with the third row seats folded down.
    Oh, geez. my apologies! I was thinking CR-V... not Odyssey! Hahahaha; how silly of me. Yeah, a minivan beats the pants off any SUV, hands down. :blush:

That said, my family just moved from a Caravan to a Forester. In the standard configuration, passenger space is comparable in terms of leg room, etc., even though the Forester's front seats do not have quite the upright stance of the van. We gave up a lot of cargo space, but we did not use it all that often in the van, and we can make up some of that by using the roof rack more frequently along with a hitch-mounted storage tray. Considering avg. fuel economy is 6-10 mpg better than the van, and the AWD of the Subaru is multiple classes above the van's, I'd say it was a tolerable move.

If you're keeping the Honda, perhaps you get the best of both worlds?
    My Sienna has 99 cubic feet of space behind the 2nd row with the 3rd row folded, and I'm sure the Ody is close to that.

That's more than any Subaru offers behind the first row! Even the Tribeca.

So you will sacrifice some space, no question.

Having said that, newer Subarus have grown significantly. The 2009+ Forester is a lot roomier than its predecessor, and the new 2010 Outback feels huge as well.

Try them out. The Forester has a nice fold-down arm rest, plus a fold out cup holder at the base of the seat. This keeps 2 kids separated so they don't fight, plus you get 2 cupholders and some space for their toys. We have 2 kids (ages 7 and 10) and it's right-sized. Cargo room is a lot better than a mid-size sedan, but can't touch a minivan's. Still, it's enough for the 4 of us most of the time.

The Outback is similarly roomy.

I still do road trips in our van - can't beat the space. But when it's snowing we know our Forester can take the 4 of us anywhere in comfort.
    Juice:

Scott is speaking specifically of a 2005 Legacy GT wagon, so the new models really don't do him any good. :(
    And I'm recommending the super-sized newer models, made for people just like him. ;)
  • poodlemom1955poodlemom1955 Member Posts: 10
    After 6 long weeks of being without my own car I finally have it back and it is running. Turned out to be the Climate Control Module of the Body Integrated Unit. According to the local Subaru place no where in the tech manuals is it ever mentioned that the failure of that module could cause all the other issues!!!
    Very strange, noone would ever have guessed that... :confuse:
  • goneskiiangoneskiian Member Posts: 381
    Yes, the brakes on the GT models are larger and only 17" wheels will fit. I believe some folks have been able to fit 50 profile tires on there with no problems. A better option may be the Outback XT though. Turbo engine and room for MUCH larger tires. ;)

Cheers!
  • morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    I have an 09 Outback and worry that the large fog lights are in such harm's way with stones, etc. Is there an after-market fog light grill that might stop some stones from breaking the lamp? There seems to be enough room for something that might snap into place around the lens.
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    This might be a good alternative to grilles:

http://www.lamin-x.com/
  • sg447sg447 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 legacy wagon SE with less than 24,000 miles. About a year ago, there was a creaking noise from the steering when turning in low speeds (in a parking lot for example). The dealer found a leaking power steering pump and it was repaired under warranty. It was all right for a while after that but the now the same noise comes back from time to time. I took it back but the mechanic did not seem to hear it. Any idea what the problem could be? I have noticed that it is louder in rainy, humid conditions.
    Thanks.
  • morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    Thanks samiam,

They show their 40 mil product for exactly this application - looks worth a try!
  • idearequestidearequest Member Posts: 11
    My 2005 Legacy Outback Sedan had a noise that I described in the same way from around 19,000 to 21,100. It turned out to be the front wheel bearing, first one, then the other - that's why the range. So far the noise hasn't recurred for the 1000 miles since the second one was replaced. They tried adjusting them first and then replaced them when that didn't work, all under warranty. Good luck.
  • sg447sg447 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks very much. I did some online research, and indeed that seems to be the consensus. I bought the extended warranty so it should be covered - but convincing the dealer/ mechanic will be another thing as the noise is intermittent.
  • easypareasypar Member Posts: 191
    My neighbor's wife is no longer able to drive and he's offered me his '09 Legacy. Leather, sunroof, etc. It seems like a pretty typical unit for a Limited. Less than 10,000 miles and I can have it for $20K.

We were one of the unfortunate owners of a '98 with the head gasket problem, before subaru admitted it we had moved on though. I've read most of the posts on here the last couple of days and there don't seem to be any grave issues with this model and it's a lot less than I can get a comparably equipped 2010 model for (about $26+) and local dealers aren't really discounting much.

I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow with a couple of questions but thought I would post them here as well.

It doesn't have the "homelink" garage door opener and we really do like that on our other cars. I've still got the old transmitters but I was wondering if the "homelink" on Subies is on the sun visor like my Maxima or built into the overhead like our Lexus?

He's got a "gold plus" extended maintenance program, I can't figure why they did this, they almost never put 8,000 miles a year on a car and they usually trade every 3-4 years. Is this transferrable and if so is it free to do so or is there a charge? I have a feeling it's a charge thing since dealers make a lot of coin on extended warranties.

Thanks in advance

easypar
    Subaru "Homelink" is located on the rearview mirror, if so equipped. Those mirrors (auto-dimming w/ compass & homelink) can be added fairly easily at any time. There is a connector under the headliner.

The warranty is transferable, but I am not sure if there is a fee involved. I don't think so, as the warranty follows the car, but I do think the person who purchased the warranty has the option to cash out the prorated value of it if the car is sold while the warranty is in effect; as such, perhaps there is a transfer fee? The Subaru website should offer information on warranty transfer.
    If your neighbor never used the warranty they can actually get a refund.

I do think there is a small fee to transfer the warranty. We sold a 2002 Legacy with a 7/100 warranty and I paid it when I sold it, but it was negligable, $25 IIRC.

The buyer was delighted and said that was one of the main reasons he bought the car.
    Is this transferrable and if so is it free to do so or is there a charge?

Yes, and the fee is actually $35, I just checked.
  • jpostonjposton Member Posts: 2
    Make that 3. I just got diagnosed with the head gasket problem. No symptoms, just in for an oil change. The dealer wants over $2300 for the head gasket repair and timing belt. I have a 2005 Outback with 109,000 miles. I am the original owner and faithfully took it to the dealer for oil changes since it was included in my purchase deal. Any options besides giving the dealer $2300 of my hard earned cash? I have purchased a new car every 5 years and have never had a major repair like this with Chevy, Dodge, or Toyota.
    Sorry to hear that, that's not common on an 05 either.

Call 800-SUBARU3 and ask if they can help out at all, but be nice. 109k miles is a whole lot.
  • 2005outback2005outback Member Posts: 2
    Make that 4. The same thing happened to me in March 09, had to get towed to the dealership. They wanted $3000 just for the head gasket and cylinder. I asked them if Subaru would pay for it and he said he didn't know. I called Subaru corporate and opened a ticket. The next day the dealership called and said they were paying for all but $250 courtesy charge. Each dealership has a certain amount of $$ allotted for these types of things. I suggest asking them to help. Mine also is a 2005 and had about $80K when it happened. A lot of people feel that bullying people at a dealership is going to get them somewhere. They are people too just trying to make a living so my advise is to not get upset and they might help you out. Good luck.
    Call Subaru customer service and explain your situation. Since your car is relatively new and properly maintained, they might be able to work something out for you.

1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)
  • jpostonjposton Member Posts: 2
    Called Subaru (I was extremely nice and polite) and they said they would not help me at all with the repair cost. I am extremely disappointed with this company. I know the car is over 100,000 but it is all highway in about 4 years. Researching the problem, it looks like they have had this head gasket problem for many years and they have still not resolved it.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    My head gasket went at 140,000 miles on my 1997 Outback which had been maintained by the book. Cost me $CDN7,000 for a whole new engine at an authorized Subaru dealer's. Subaru did not contribute one thin dime to the repair. Also they did not even provide me a courtesy car for the time I was without mine.

I have come to the conclusion that Subaru engines are unreliable. Look at the Forester XT (and Outback XT) turbo engines imploding in '08 and '09. And the head gasket problem was supposed to afflict the '96 to '98 Outbacks but obviously involves other years, too.
    It's tough to get assistance when the car has 100K+ miles on it. Shame on Subaru, though, for not offering any concessions since they know quite well that their engines are very susceptible to head gasket failures.

I would shop for an independent mechanic - they might be able to do much better on price. I wouldn't give your dealer any more business since he is being unsympathetic and not at all helpful to a loyal customer.
    You'd be lucky to get 140k out of many other manufacturers' cars.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    COMMONN NOW!!

Even the diety-like Hondas and known to blow head-gaskets. I had to replace (at my cost) the head-gasket TWICE in a honda Civic. This was BEFORE 90K miles.

When all the antifreeze blows out tailpipe on the highway at -10F... it makes quite a steam-show!! Everyone behind you backs WAYYY off when their windshield suddenly gets covered with slimy antifreeze.

The O2 sensors died a couple weeks after that....I suspect they dont like getting coverd with antifreeze either.

You are really expecting too much and are being unreasonably harsh on Subaru.
  • natyaknatyak Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i with 108K on it. I may be posting prematurely, as the dealer bought the car at auction and as of yesterday had not thoroughly checked it out - but my question is this - Being a first time Subaru buyer, is there anything specific -quirks, warning signs, etc.- that I should be looking for given the mileage?
    Thanks for your time!
    That was the first year of that generation, 2005-2009. A great design IMHO.

By then the gaskets were much better, as were the wheel bearings, common issues with 2002 and earlier models. Check those things anyway.

Turn the radio off and test drive it with the windows open, listen for any odd noises in the suspension while you drive in a figure 8 (safely), feel the steering. Pop the hood and look for any sign of oil leaks or stains on the the block and on the front and rear main seals. You may need a lift to do this properly (or pay a mechanic).

Basically inspect it as you would any big investment. It's out of warranty, so make sure it's perfect when you buy it.

The good news is problems should be easy to spot - oil stains, noisy wheel bearings, lack of smoothness in the steering or suspension are all tell-tale signs.

It's easier to spot these on a Subaru because all 4 wheels are linked together by the powertrain.

Good luck.
  • prm21557prm21557 Member Posts: 2
    My daughter has a 2006 Legacy. We are finding both the air conditioning and heater inadequate. Does not cool significantly in summer nor heat in winter :(
    1st of all, lets keep in mind that AC and heating are 2 COMPLETELY differnt systems. They only share the delivery method (airflow) AC comes from a compressor, condenser and evaperator. HEAT comes right out of the engine.

I suspect there is something not right.... My 2006 Baja (based on the Legacy) has GREAT cooling and above-average heating. (albiet it only has to cool/heat half the space as the Legacy wagon)

Can you better describe the problem? Do you sense that it is lack of airflow... or is there plenty of air but not enough coldness/heat in the air?

If an airflow problem, check if her car has a cabin-filter... has it been cleaned/changed lately?
    I was thinking the same thing.

See if there are any signs of rodent nests in any of the HVAC tubing, perhaps blocking the air flow.
  • robertjamesrobertjames Member Posts: 1
    Not too harsh. I've driven two Ford Taurus' and a Toyota Avalon each more than 250,000 miles without significant repairs. My 2005 Subaru Outback Turbo blew the turbo at 61,800 miles and Subaru wouldn't cover the repair under its 60,000 mile warranty, even though it warrants the turbo to 70,000 miles in California. They know there is a problem with an oil line screen, but they won't stand by their cars. I'm getting rid of the Subaru and won't own another one.
  • kouc52kouc52 Member Posts: 2
    I have 64k on my legacy GT and I had the same thing happen. Turbo banjo bolt oil line filter screen get clogged and kills oil to the turbo... turbo then kills the engine. Subaru can't build EJ engines fast enough... one dealer in my area did 15 legacy's last year for this problem. The dealer i sent my car too had one on the lot in for the same problem. I loved my Subaru till this happened and the fact there is no recall is shocking. I don't know of anyone and there are allot of posts online that has got Subaru to cover this at any mileage even with oil change records. Pretty Sad... I was going to get the boxer Turbo Diesel when it came out... but no way now. :mad: :mad: :sick:
    I loved my Subaru till this happened and the fact there is no recall is shocking.

Recalls are for safety related items.

The Federal Government doesn't care if you bought a crummy car. If your car takes off on its own, spontaneously combusted, or can't steer, they step in. If its someone not standing behind their product, its why we have a free market.
    edited March 2010
    You are correct that a "Recall" is for safety (or emmissions) related items.

I find it interesting that some people expect the government to "protect" them from every annoyance in their life. In the end, those people will be sorely disapointed. (The politicians only care about your VOTE so they can keep spending your money.)

However, there are TSB (Technical Service Bulliten) which are intended to cover the items which do not rise to the level of a "Recall". You can review the 'open' TSBs against your specific vehicle at several websites.

An automobile manufacturer is not obliged by law to inform you about TSBs... The consumer must research these themselves, print them out and TELL the dealer about it. I have had good luck getting dealerships to work with me once they know I am informed about the problem.
    However, there are TSB (Technical Service Bulliten) which are intended to cover the items which do not rise to the level of a "Recall". You can review the 'open' TSBs against your specific vehicle at several websites.

True but a TSB isn't an extended warranty. If a vehicle is under a manufacturer's warranty and is brought in for service, a TSB can be applied. If the vehicle isn't under warranty, sometimes a dealer/manufacturer will do something for good will, but for the most part, the customer has to pony up for the repair.
  • dgreene1dgreene1 Member Posts: 9
    Very interesting discussion.

I think a lot of people don't know about TSB's. I've got a 2010 Legacy with an annoying squeak in the front seat. When the dealer mentioned that there's a TSB out there for a very similar issue, I found it in one of the of TSB's on the Subaru website. I also found one or two others that may be applicable to my car's performance, but unfortunately, the dealer will only apply a TSB if you report a problem that can be specifically related to it (so we made something up :-) ).

From now on, I'm checking the TSB list periodically...